Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Legacy Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    test drove a 2010 2.5GT limited
    price: $29,995
    destination and delivery $695
    Power Moonroof/nav $2,995
    XM sat. radio $398
    trunk tray $69.95
    auto-dim mirror-homelink $250.00
    total $34,403
    Dealer in NC price: $32,603
    Opinions Please
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Wow.... that seems like a lot for a Legacy..

Getting rid of the TSX?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• northcentralianorthcentralia Member Posts: 1
    In Waterloo, IA:

2010 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited Graphite Gray Metallic/Off Black Leather
    Base MSRP $24,995
    Power Mnrf: $995
    Auto-Dim Mir/Comp: $186
    Appearance Package: $707
    Remote Start: $424
    Destination $695
    Total Suggested Retail Price $28,002

Sales Price: $26008
    Taxes/Title/License: $1,520.45
    Total Amt: $27,538

Financed @ 3.9% for 63 months.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    A V6 TSX would run more and the Leg is probably quicker.
  • easypareasypar Member Posts: 191
    I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new Legacy, Limited, CVT, sunroof, media hub, homelink, splash guards, trunk net, trunk tray, hood and moonroof deflectors, floor mats,

These MSRP for 27,605 (plus about $380 including tax for the trunk stuff and deflectors and mats), although there are a few around (which are not PZEV at 27,305 +380), I've got two dealers that are "moderately close".

The one quit getting serious when he came down to 25,800, but the other one is down to 25,300.

A buddy of mine got the same car a month ago for 24,500 + 80 for the trunk package (he had some subaru loyalty dollars) plus a 350 document fees. Neither of these will charge me document fees but I don't have any loyalty money. Is there any way to get the loyalty money other than a Chase credit card.

I don't feel I need the exact same deal he got, although I could probably get close to it if I wanted to drive the 130 miles, each way to his dealer.

Comments and ideas please.

BTW, this is a cash deal and I'm not pressed for time.

easypar
  • akt1000akt1000 Member Posts: 15
    Seems like you are doing a good job negotiating a good price. Will be interested in finding out your final price because I am also in the market for a similarly equipped Legacy.

Am also curious about your statement, "Is there any way to get the loyalty money other than a Chase credit card." Can one get some cash back with a Chase Credit card? Will appreciate if you can clarify that. Thanks.
    I can - get a Chase Subaru credit card, and earn 3% on every purchase, up to $500/year. That's basically the first $16,666 you spend, earning a full 3%, which is among the best rewards rate.

You get them in $100 increments as "Subaru Bucks". Then you can use them at your dealer to buy a new Subaru, CPO Subaru, or even parts, accessories, or service. Heck, my dealer's body shop even accepts them. :shades:
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    $31,962 for the order same one
    Legacy limited; moonroof, media hub, homelink and about $500 in "accessories", trunk net and tray, wind deflectors, little stuff like that. MSRP was $28,000. I got it for $25,300, plus TAX. I could have gone with one that didn't have PZEP for $200 less (suprisingly not required in my progressive state), but to me it's almost like the bluetooth stuff, maybe not necessary for me, but not a bad selling feature.

I feel pretty good and the sales staff never showed any resentment or tried any of the games that many people complain about. There may have been a little bit more in there, but I didn't feel I had to wring every nickel out, so I'm happy.

easypar
    Congrats. :shades:
  • txbz751txbz751 Member Posts: 9
    I am getting ready to pull the trigger on $23,756 OTD. Is it a good deal? It is in WV.
  • bruuklinbruuklin Member Posts: 29
    A local dealer is offering a CPO 2009 Legacy SE for $19K. Only 7K miles. Former rental car, but clean Carfax. Too good to be true? I don't like the idea of buying a former rental, but we'd have the balance of the original warranty, plus the 6 yr/100K powertrain warranty.
    Those weren't priced very high to begin with, so the deal seems fair, no too good to be true.

It is a rental but the warranty should ease your concerns.
  • longislander1longislander1 Member Posts: 112
    Having worked in the rental car industry (and having been told never to buy a rental car), my suggestion would be to find another vehicle. Those were probably a hard 7K miles.

That was a fairly common model. I'm sure there are plenty around. And while the asking price in the 19s is pretty typical, I'm wondering if anyone actually buys them in that range. (An Indiana dealer has a new '09 SE, although with manual shift, advertised for $18,999. Kolb Subaru in upstate NY has a slew of '09 SEs with low mileage, all well under $19K and one in the 15 range, although none appear to be CPO.) Near the end of the model year, I was seeing new ones for close to 19. Also, how do you know it was a rental? Does it say so on the Carfax or are you relying on the dealer for that information? I'm asking because I've never seen these Subarus in rental fleets. Your car sounds more like a demo.

The CPO is probably worth $1,200-$1,500 based on what Subaru dealers are charging for discounted extended warranties these days.

If you still want to buy this car, bargain hard. I think you can do much better on price.
  • icbmicbm Member Posts: 14
    Have not looked at this car yet, just online at dealers site. They only post the MSRP- $23,496 - 2.5 Premium w. all weather package and CVT . How much below MSRP can I expect the dealer to go?
    After I went to that dealer, I went over to Kolb because he does have a lot of Legacys on the lot. Saw a nice gray 2009 SE, one-owner, clean carfax, only 8,500 miles. But my salesperson wanted $19,800 OTD. When I tried to negotiate, he insisted that there is no negotiation at Kolb under any circumstances--that his price was "no haggle". Didn't even take my contact info to follow up. Too bad, because I like the car. I wish he was willing to talk price at least a little, but I can't see paying that much for a used Legacy, even if it is low miles.
    I'm not sure where you're located, but I'd walk or run away from that delearship. Of course I've got the benefit of living in the Colorado front range, where Subie stores are like Stop-N-Gos! I intitially contacted 6 delearships and 3 of those showed prices on their web-sites that were discounted from MSRP.

BTW, I considered a couple of 2009s, for about $20,000 each, but the difference in the size and EPA estimates of the 2010 changed my mind. My Legacy is almost identical in every dimension (as checked on this site) with my 2003 Maxima. I think the smaller trunk on the '09 and the lower gas mileage would have been problems for me.

Good luck.

easypar
    In fairness that's how no-haggle dealerships work. At least you know you'd pay the same price as any VIP would.

It's not necessarily the rock-bottom lowest price you will find, but it's an even playing field, with no games.
    How anxious are you to get the car. I bet if you can wait until the end of January, you'll get a much better deal. Timing is everything.
  • dandydoniidandydonii Member Posts: 45
    what makes you think that you can get a better deal in late January? I have been offered invoice pricing out here in the bay area for a subaru if I buy before the end of the year.
    It will be hard to go another 5 weeks. The reason I waited until now was I'd been told so often that at the end of a month/quarter/year I'd be likely to get a strong deal. Why January?

I no longer have any idea what counts as a deal for a used Legacy.
    I know this isn't a pricing or buying experience question, but needed brief advice from you guys as people with owning experience: do you think the 2008-2009 Legacy is effective as a "family" sedan, or am I being unrealistic. The sticking point for me on going for one of these is that we have a baby and will likely try to have another in a few years. I want to keep whatever I buy right now for many years (I want to run it into the ground) but worry it's just not big enough for a growing family. My wife is really skeptical and pushing for us to get something larger. I just don't like large cars, and can't afford an SUV right now. $19-20K is really the max of my budget. Our other car is a 2006 Honda Accord. My argument to her is that the Accord is our larger "family" car. But she thinks we need more flexible.

Any thoughts? Does the Legacy prove to be as small as she thinks it is, once you've owned it awhile?
    I know that the '09 Legacy is smaller than the '10. As far as the size vs your Accord why not go to the Used Cars segment of Edmunds and put in your '06 Accord and the '09 Legacy and compare the internal dimensions. My thought it that they're pretty similar, but I'm guessing.

I know that my '10 Legacy is almost identical to my '03 Maxima and I'm pretty sure the Maxima was bigger than the Accord.

easypar
    I use mine as a daily driver and have no kids. However, here are the caveats:
    1. The back seat is small for adults, especially for long trips. It should be fine for two kids for a while. Any more kids and you need to go larger.
    2. The trunk is quite large for the car's size, although it depends on how much room you need for folding crib, etc.
    3. While the four cylinder is great for daily driving, it becomes sluggish as soon as you add two adults to the back. And that's without adding anything in the trunk. I recently loaded up the trunk with beer and soda for a party. It was just myself in the passenger compartment and you could really feel that you were hauling around a load.

Husbands have to stick together, but your wife might be right on this one. If you must have a Subaru and/or all-wheel drive, you could take a look at a used Outback, which gives you a little more flexibility, or a new base Legacy, which gives you more room. Truecar.com is showing a good price for a base legacy at around $20,600, so you might have to stretch the budget a bit.
    I guess it depends on the region. Here in NY, I'm betting that January will be a bleak month for car dealers as people recover from the holidays, deal with bad weather, still struggle with the economy, etc. (although, nationally, I do know that Subaru has been doing pretty well, sales-wise). Buying a car in your area may be a whole different matter, given the different climate. Around here, even a light snow can kill showroom traffic. I'm only suggesting to the poster that his target car will probably be around in January, possibly at a lower price. Having seen '08 and '09 SEs advertised new for high $18K to low $19K at the end of their respective model years, I know it would kill me to pay $19K for a used '09 now.

There should be plenty of room for negotiation. As an example, Subaru was offering me around $16,250 for my '08 Limited under its guaranteed buyback program, yet my local dealer is now advertising an '08 SE for $20,300 that was turned in under the same program. When you factor in the differing equipment on the two cars, the previous owner probably got something in the high $15K range. That's a pretty big spread.
    To be brutally honest, you don't need a bigger sedan, you need a station wagon, or something with a big trunk (crossover, SUV).

Kids take up more cargo space than adults do. Far, far more.

The back seat of the Legacy is plenty big. An Accord's bigger back seat will make no difference whatsoever.

Now go to the trunk - the stroller, the diaper bag, the port-a-crib, the port-a-potty, the luggage, the plastic bath tub thingy, the high chair, etc. Will all that fit?

I say go for a Legacy wagon, especially since they existed until 2009.

Or you could get a new Forester 2.5X. That has a bigger back seat plus more cargo room. Or a base 2010 Outback, also very roomy with tons more cargo space.

My wife wanted a sedan back in 2002, she was pregant with our 2nd. I grabbed our stroller from the Forester, put it in the trunk, showed her it was already full.

She changed her mind, just like that. We got a 2002 Legacy wagon. She traded it recently for a 2009 Forester. Perfect size for 2 kids.
    Did you get the 2.5X? Does it have enough features to age well?
    What does anyone think of a 2005 Outback XT, low mileage (only 30K) for $16K? Not certified. Warranty obviously expired. Clean carfax.
    I don't remember where in the country you are, but that's probably not a bad number. At first I thought it a bit high but only because I moved from Austin TX, and it would be way high there. But now I live near Ft Collins Colorado and around here you have a hard time finding Subies in the 3-5 year bracket. I guess the dealers have them but I only look at private parties for used cars.

I think there are TWO 05 and 06 Outbacks on Craigslist here and in Denver from private parties and they're $16K and $18K. A friend in Austin just bought an 05 for about $8 or $9K a month or so back, but it was a five speed. Depending on how far you want to drive you may take a look at the places where there is not such a heavy demand for used Subies.

easypar
    We got the 2.5X Limited. But we used $1600 in Subaru Bucks to bring the price down from about $25k to $23.5k or so.

There's an idea - get a Chase Subaru credit card, and start earning 3% back. Too late to help pay for the car, but you can pay for service with it.

We've had the Forester a year and a half and have already accumulated another $800 in Subaru Bucks. I can pay for tires, accessories, service, whatever.

That directly lowers our ownership cost. It could help you stretch your budget a bit.

The Premium is a great value at about $23.5k nowadays. I know it's a bit beyond your budget, though. A new base 2.5X is right in your $20k range, though.
  • tigarddavetigarddave Member Posts: 4
    I'm looking at either the prem. Legacy with options or a Limited-2.5, non-turbo anyone tried the costco buying program to get their Subaru? (I'm the Portland Or. area)
  • linkfeeney3linkfeeney3 Member Posts: 19
    my wife and i looking at the legacy 3.6 R premium

how much are they knocking off?
    it says some people are getting it invoice, but how do I know that invoice is that price they say it is??

the car comes to MSRP with destination at $26695
    you think they will take off $4000 off? $3000 maybe?
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    edited February 2010
    You should find the invoice price at edmunds.com ... currently invoice is about the price dealer will deal. There is VIP program that is invoice - 2%... you join a club like "Leave No Trace" with min of 6 months then you can request that letter and bring to dealer to lock in VIP program withour any negotiations. Also qualify for any rebate, incentive and options / add-ons are also in invoice -2% pricing, then add dealer doc fee & TT&L

This is also good for factory ordering on the exact car you want.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58200
    I doubt you'd get that kind of a discount. Truecar.com, which I find to be a much more accurate place to check new car prices than Edmunds and others, shows a 3.6R premium with a sticker of $26,690 in my area (Long Island) might be bought for a "great price" of $24,158. For what it's worth, when I bought my '08 Legacy Limited, the best local deal I could get was 9.8% off sticker and the best deal regardless of location was about 13.8% off. Both of those included $1,000 cash back from the manufacturer. With Subaru continuing to do well and the new models fairly popular (without any cash back, I presume), I don't think you have a shot at $3-$4K off. At $24K and change, the car is still a great value.
  • linkfeeney3linkfeeney3 Member Posts: 19
    they are just hard to find oh the H-6

they have like boat loads of the 4 cylinders!!

the H-6 is so much fun!!! IT HAS TORQUE!!!
    The 4 banger has some (170 lb-ft) torque, too. ;)
  • windgracewindgrace Member Posts: 84
    After spending weeks of studying different vehicles with my mother (basically anything with AWD) we settled on the 2010 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium. After talking to a salesman and discussing what we wanted (CVT, White Exterior, HK Audio and All-Weather package) we go to the dealership and are greeted by a different person. On top of that, it's a silver car instead of white. There isn't a vehicle that fits our order in California or Nevada. The closest thing they found was 100 miles away with some extra things (auto-dimming homelink mirror + cargo tray) that the dealership threw in for free for the hassle. After signing the paperwork, we are told that the car is in fact being sold. However, shortly thereafter (about 5 minutes) they say we signed so it's ours and the other deal fell through. We got the car with about 300 miles on it, but at the end of the day the final price before taxes and whatnot was 22.5k, which is great. Included in that price (besides all those extras) is free oil changes/tire rotations for three years for the hassle and two free gallons of gas. I'm just glad we finally got the car! Dynamic styling, great fuel economy and incredible safety features made it our #1 choice. Haven't had a Subaru, hopefully it's worth it!
  • baccus49baccus49 Member Posts: 60
    Just got graphite grey 2010 Legacy Auto Prem PZEV All-Weather for under 22K. Ours has only 20 miles on it.
    Congrats to you (and baccus).

Hopefully the dealer treats you better when it's time for service. Perhaps it was out of their control (the other dealer tried to sell it out from under them).
  • skomanskoman Member Posts: 24
    2.5 Limited 4cy CVT Auto w Auto Dim Mirror (homelink and compass)All weather mats, and XM Sat Radio $24,613 plus TTL. True car had the following numbers which matched Edmunds..

Sticker $27,486
    TruAverage $ $26,131 (local)
    Invoice $ 25,823
    TrueCost $ 25,019

I felt this was a very good deal if truecar or edmunds is correct about what other people are really paying. I specifically bought because I wanted a car that looked like the Camry SE, but drove like a Honda Accord with Toyota/Honda/Subaru reliability and had AWD and Hwy mileage over 30 mpg. I just sold my 13 year old Impreza OutbackSport for $2000 with 208,000 miles on it and I bet it will go another 100k easy.

I did luck out that the exact car I wanted arrived at the dealership the day after I contacted dealers for quotes and I closed a deal 4 days later. My guess is they got their $26k and they have 90 days still to pay Subaru.

Was this a good deal or a great deal ?
    I think I'd call that a great deal. I had some items that you didn't, about $700 more I think, and paid about $850 more than you paid.

Where are you located and what's the name of the Subie store? I'm sure others who are lurking here will patronize them.

easypar
  • skomanskoman Member Posts: 24
    Ganley Subaru of Wickliffe OH is where I bought and they were awesome. Super professional and accomodating, very competitive quote right from the start, valued my business and my time, all around the best dealership experience I ever had.
  • marvinlee1marvinlee1 Member Posts: 51
    Paid $27,000 cash for new car with no accessories, including no sunroof, except for auto-dimming mirror with compass. Price included the transportation charge and full tank of gas. I paid the license, plates, and registration fees.
  • mikel12mikel12 Member Posts: 17
    It's my first time experiencing Subaru and I must say I like it quite a bit, after comparing it to VW sportswagon TDI and Ford Fusion Hybrid. I'm looking to buy Prem PZE CVT of either 2010 or 2011. I went to Carr dealer yesterday but they're asking for 3000 OVER suggested retail price for the 2010, which I thought is ridiculous. Does anyone have good experience with a dealer/salesperson in the Portland, Oregon area?
    What the heck? Over MSRP for the 2010s, when they have 2011s on their lot! Craziness. I have no recommendations for Portland but I do recall some discussion on here a couple of months back. Check the Outback prices paid forum as well.

I was in my local dealer today and my salesman told me that Legacy and Outbacks are flying out the door, but he still said he'd discount a '10 or an '11 for me if my wife was interested in the Outback. Since my Legacy ($2700 +/- off of MSRP) is only 6 months old we're not looking to replace my wife's Lexus for a couple of more years.

Good luck on your hunt.
    edited June 2010
    MSRP 24900 and invoice 24000. Is it a good deal? It's almost as basic as I can get. Should I get it or wait for the 2011? Has anyone purchased similar models and how much did you pay?
    On a basic model like that I think 1500 under invoice is pretty good. The '11 Outbacks are on the lot where I am (Colorado) and other than the outside mirror I don't see any change. If you want a Legacy now I'd go for it.

easypar
  • cfkidcfkid Member Posts: 30
    Hello everyone. I'm in the market for a 2010 Legacy 2.5GT Limited with Moonroof and Nav. I'm a VIP member, so I can get the car at invoice price, which is about 2500 under sticker. I have a few questions, however. Can I do better than that on a 2010? Second, I have heard that there is a Volume Incentive on the GT's. So, if the dealership sells one, they get $xxxx, sell two in a month and get more, etc.

From what I've read, I am eligible for any regional dealer and factory incentives. Does this mean that I should get that volume incentive too? I'm not being told that the dealer gets this incentive by my sales rep, so how do I figure it out. Can I actually call Subaru to find out?

Also, I'm being low balled by about $1700 on a trade in. They should EASILY be able to pay it off, but are about $1300 under my payoff. Any suggestions for pushing that number somewhat higher? Thanks in advance.
  • nemo10nemo10 Member Posts: 4
    How much is a good selling price (not include destination charge, tax, title etc) for a 2011 legacy? Should it be above or below the invoice price?
    I am in Southern California. How much should the OTD price be? Thanks.

This is what I am looking for:
    ----------------------------------------
    2011 Legacy
    MSRP
    Base 20995
    CVT 1000
    PZEV 300
    AWP+HK+Moonroof 2790
    Destination 725

Total 25810
    Just FYI, hope this info helps anyone.

We've been going to ALL subaru dealers around here. The lowest we were able to get on 2010 Legacy premium with weather pkg and moonroof (CVT) was 22380. I am not sure what the invoice is (~24980) because they ALWAYS showed me invoices that were above our negotiating prices and said they were losing money. Anyway, I think the best way to purchase a subaru car is go to the dealer's website, look at what they have in stock, and get a quote or make an offer if you roughly know how much you're dealing with. That's the way we got ours and I think it's the best way to go.