Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Outback Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Hard to say for sure, but I doubt the incentives would decrease, since they've already shown the 08 facelift to the public.

The one caveat is that they have decreased supply from SIA, I think Toyota took over one of the assembly lines, so if certain models are in short supply, they might surprise us and decrease incentives.

My prediction? They'll stay flat. Just a hunch, though.

-juice
  • swebb1swebb1 Member Posts: 5
    I can't really comment on the deal, though it looks good.

Regarding finance costs, you should definitely be informed before you buy. It depends on what you mean by "very good" credit -- if you shop around a good target would be 6% with no fees.

You don't have to get your financing through the dealer, though they may be able to land you a good rate.

-Steve
  • scoobieukscoobieuk Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased an Outback 3.0Rn. The on board SAT NAV was woefully out of date so I asked Subaru how much for an up to date DVD of the system. They told me £350 (about $700). and that is EACH YEAR!!!! Are Subaru charging this outrageous price in other countries, or is just us here in the UK who are being ripped off? Anyone know of a reasonable priced alternative? Advice gratefully received. :mad:
    First, take a deep breath. ;)

In the USA, Kenwood supplies the NAV system. Here, the update DVDs (there are 2) costs USD$238 for the pair, something like that, ordered directly from Kenwood.

Here is ours, for reference:

http://store.kenwoodusa.com/subaru/

You don't pay per year, it's not a subscription. You pay for a new set of DVDs, and the Tribeca has been out nearly two years, and the first update just came out, at least for the USA. The DVD is inserted under the driver's seat, IIRC.

So, shop around, ask around, maybe even go to Kenwood.com.uk (?) and look for it. I can't imagine the Euro one uses a different NAV supplier.

-juice
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,780
    Seems ridiculous that one would have to update it right off the lot. That would be like purchasing an operating system (Windows?) for $300, getting it home, installing it, and then having a screen come up that says, "there is a critical update available for this software. Would you like to download and install it for $250?" :sick:
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    We're not sure there *IS* an update for Europe.

The maps that just came out are for North America, v2.0. Early ones had v1.0 or 1.1.

I would certainly go back to the dealer and ask for an update, if there is one available.

Remember, Europe got the Tribeca about a year after the US got it. They probably haven't even thought about map updates yet.

-juice
  • mrskkbmrskkb Member Posts: 3
    Have always had volvo wagons and currently a saab 95 wagon.

It is time for a change.

Looked at a subaru outback today.

Are all of you subaru owners happy with the car?
    I am not - mine is a fit/finish lemon. But, I am among the minority, and I hope my car is as well. (07 Outback Basic MT)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • thallbergthallberg Member Posts: 18
    :) I've owned a 1996 Outback Wagon, a 1999 SUS Outback and currently own a 2003 H-6 VDC Wagon. I think they were all exceptional cars and would recommend them.
    The only problem I had was with the SUS at 12000 miles. There was a hairline crack in the engine block. SOA replaced the short block and gave me a loaner during the repair. The first two cars were totaled in head on collisions (not my fault!) which I walked away from with a few brusises from the air bags.
    The VDC now has about 60,000 miles on it and the only things I've done are oil changes and a set of brake pads at 40,000. If you're use to Volvo and Saab I would definitely take a look at the H-6 wagons. I've found the VDC to be very comfortable, quiet and pleasant driver. I've found myself much less likely to trade off Subarus after four years than other cars I've owned, which have included Hondas, Nissans and Mazdas.
  • rudikamprudikamp Member Posts: 34
    I bought a 2006 Outback L.L.Bean sedan and I am very pleased with it.
    No problems , the car just feels right. Had 3 Volvo's since
    1957,all were great cars with no problems.Traded one for the
    Subaru and the 1990 740 is still in use with 168K.
    I highly recommend the H-6 Outback.
    Yes, I will say that I very much enjoyed my 1996 Outback. It had its problems, but was a very solid and reliable car. One would expect 11 years of experience to yield a better car in every respect, but that is not what I have found. My '07 is problematic and I am very sorry that I purchased it. No problems with the drive train, but it rattles like a tin can, all of the exterior light assemblies have a severe moisture-retention problem (something Subaru apparently plans to pass off as "normal" due to the systemic and costly nature of the problem), the shift/parking boots crack like they are 30 years old, now the dash lighting comes on and off at will, and windows/doors are almost completely non-functional at temps colder than -20F (probably not something with which you will have to worry!).

If the seats were not so comfortable, I think I would really dislike this car. As it is, I certainly would not consider buying another one (07).
  • thallbergthallberg Member Posts: 18
    That definitely sounds unSubaru. But I've been reading other quality control problems with the new Subies in these forums.
    Hope the quality isn't going as mainstream as thier recent styling changes.
    I think I'll keep my '03 until they work things out.
    '98 Forester has been great since day one, I'll probably cry when I sell it (need a bigger vehicle with at least 6-7 seats).

Wife has a Legacy. Dad has an Outback. Sis has a Forester. Bro has a Legacy.

It's contagious. :shades:
  • rob_mrob_m Member Posts: 820
    I am currently on Subaru's #4, an 03 Outback and #5, an 05 Legacy GT sedan.

#3 was a 99 Legacy GT sedan, traded at 125k for the new turbo GT. #2 was a 96 Outback wagon traded at 85k, because my wife thought the new Seamist Green color was pretty. #1 was a 92 Loyale 4wd 5-speed traded for the automatic sedan, because the dw refused to drive a standard.

All were relatively trouble-free. I expect to be trading the Outback for a new one in the next 18 months. Go for it! Rob M.
  • lskinnerlskinner Member Posts: 8
    For what it may be worth, I purchased an '07 Legacy about 6 weeks ago. So far, I am reasonably happy with the car. The only fly in the ointment was a problem with a squeaky clutch pedal. Subaru was decent, but not fabulous, about addressing the problem. Besides that, I'm very happy with the car (so far).

I suppose I was spoiled by my previous car (a Honda Accord) which had essentially no problems (besides parts that wore out) for 6 1/2 years. After reading the commentary here, I am bracing myself for more problems but keeping my fingers crossed.

The 4 wheel drive does rock though.
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    I've had 2 Subarus - a 1979 wagon and a 2002 Outback LL Bean. They are good solid cars and give great confidence in bad weather.

I loved the AWD and the overall reliability and would buy one again.

Things I did not like (and part of the reasons I sold the 2002 last year) are these:

- they are not built for tall people. The seats have short bottom cushions and are not quite up to the comfort of a Honda seat. (Comparing LL Bean to Accord or Odyssey with leather here). No telescoping wheel (though that should be fixed in 2008 Legacys and Outbacks).

- The auto tranny at that time was a 4 speed and nothing special. It tended to not be in the right gear.

- The dealers by me were okay but generally not convenient (hours) as others.

All said and done I would consider one again but I have to say I have enjoyed the over all ownership experience of Hondas more (slightly more reliable and better dealers and better ergonomics for tall people).

But that is just me and Subarus are nice cars and a little more off the beaten path than a Honda or Toyota. That part I liked.
    At least they gave the Bean models a 5 speed auto for MY2005.
  • pathtomaxpathtomax Member Posts: 215
    I now own my 2nd Subaru. I leased my first 1996 Outback Wagon (the first one on the lot of that new Crocodile Dundee redesign) for 24,000 miles. The only thing that went was the drivers seat heater no longer lit up.

I now own a 2001 Outback Limited Auto wagon with 110,000 miles. I beat on this with 38,000 commuter miles a year for two years. Now I work from home so it does not get as much work.

This car gets all the routine maintenance. The only sticklers:
    - The brake rotors warp. Even with my new brakes I have had them smoothed a number of times.
    - The auto transmission HATES to downshift unless I slam on the gas.
    - I had my head gasket work done at 105,000 miles. They started to leak, but I did very well lasting that long.

Well, I live in New England so there are so many VERY LOYAL Subaru owners on the road here. And, we love to talk about them :)

I am holding out for my next Outback, in RED again ( I have Winestone now) with Navigation!!
    That trans is trying to save you gas. ;)
  • ljordan2ljordan2 Member Posts: 4
    Faced this question about a year ago, had never owned a Subaru or 4 wheel drive. I compared a Toyota Highlander and a Forester but bought the 06 Outback and am very happy. I liked it's room and ride over the Forester. Highlander was just too expensive. Now have 16K miles and enjoy the quiet smooth ride, power (non-turbo four) is OK, getting about 24 miles per gallon on mixed driving, quality is outstanding, would definitely buy another one.
  • npbdnpbd Member Posts: 4
    I bought a new subaru outback in 2002, change timing belt at 20k at 85k check engine light keep comming up, replace ignition coil twice melting wiring from the coil to spark plug, now at 135k I need to change the engine because of coolant issue
    My driving style is not agressive never go over 4k rpm always between 2.5 and 3.5k 80% highway 20 city.

check this web site http://www.subaruproblems.com/
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Why did your timing belt get changed at 20k miles? Something isn't right here.

-mike
    That's a funny site. You do realize that have a picture of a car with a 2.0L engine (2002-2004 WRX) when they are talking about earlier 2.5L engines!

If you are gonna do that at least get the pic right.

-mike
  • newsub1newsub1 Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I just were quoted $27,335 for the 3.0 Outback LL Bean with Navigation, auto dimming mirror with Home Link, all season mats, cargo nets etc - this was at Don Jacobs in Milwaukee.
    I was very surprised by the pricing.
    noisy engine in the morning. I brought back to the dealer (under guaranty) and they told me they changed (I don't know if they did it or just reajusted the belt. I did not paid for the repair) after that no more noise.
    You may be right, I did not do it, just find it out on the internet.
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,603
    $27335 for a 3.0R w/Nav.

Wow.

I'm a cheap skate that doesn't need a car and I still wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on that deal; great price...

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

Oh, it might have been the timing belt tensioner. Still strange for it to be causing problems at that low mileage, but if they were in there for a tensioner they may have put a new belt on.... maybe - those warranty repairs often end up being a "do only what you must" job.

So far warranty repairs on my new Outback have been done satisfactorily.
    When I opened it, the link for the 2008 Legacy debut also popped up on the right. Check that out, too.

Both were from the Chicago show earlier this year.

-juice
    change timing belt at 20k

That service isn't due until 105k miles, FWIW.

-juice
    "So far warranty repairs on my new Outback have been done satisfactorily."

Satisfactory is of course better than unsatisfactory.

But the best is if the car never needs warranty service. Because if you bring the car in for warranty service, it's inevitably time and aggravation.

For example, I never had to bring my 2000 Honda Accord in for warranty service ever. Maybe I'm spoiled, but this seems like a reasonable expectation to me for a modern car.
    That takes some luck. Few cars are perfect. In fact I'd wager that most people that say that simply don't notice problems that do exist.

Honda had issues with their auto trannies on some of the V6 models right around then, so you probably had the 4 cylinder (either that or you were lucky).

-juice
    No, I would agree with that. But, I also agree with juice. I have no problem with needing to use a warranty. The point of a warranty is to work out any problems that are a result of manufacture.

I am not happy with the fact that all of my warranty problems thus far are most likely to recur but, were I less picky about it, none of them actually affect the performance of the vehicle - just the enjoyment of it.

In the end though, if warranty work is needed, my preference is for it to be done well and without hassle. That is satisfactory (to me), and that is how it has thus far been performed. ;)
    For what it's worth, I had a 4 cylinder car with a manual transmission.

I agree that there's some luck involved, but my unscientific impression is that you have a better chance of being lucky if you buy a Honda.
    You do improve your odds, yes. Toyota is also up there, and Subaru is close behind. For model year 2004 Subaru was Consumer Reports' most reliable brand. :shades:

-juice
  • samghoshsamghosh Member Posts: 2
    2007 Outback 2.5i basic, automatic, with few options like armrest, home link auto dimming mirror, roof rail etc, sticker price was $24,288 paid $22,300+TTL+TAX.
    Congrats. :shades:
  • dmathew347dmathew347 Member Posts: 80
    Does anyone have recent prices paid on the 2007 Subaru Legacy Wagon (2.5i) Automatic in the Washington area or just about anywhere in the country? No extra options needed, just the 2.5i automatic wagon.

The reason is that i've been to about 7 dealers already and i'm getting totally conflicting reports. Some are willing to sell at almost (invoice - $750). But then others won't budge any less than 1000 below MSRP. My friend bought one recently for $1300 below invoice + TTL. Some dealers say supply is tight, and demand is high. But i think supply is pretty good, and everyone really is going for the Outback.
    I am now aiming for (Invoice - $1000.00 + TTL). Is this reasonable.
    Any input would be appreciated !
  • mb789mb789 Member Posts: 89
    Should you buy a Subaru? I bought an '06 Forester X a year ago. I would give this Forester a grade of B- to a C. It is an O.K. car, but has lots of little annoyances. The main problem is engine hesitation. I have been at many intersections and accelerate to turn left, and the car doesn't do anything for a second or two. Then, the engine REVS and it sounds out of control. The paint on my Forester is not very durable. The plastic parts under the hood are cheap. The dashboard plastic over the guages squeaks. Often when driving, it smells like hot antifreeze. I don't know if it's just this particular car, or if they are all like this. I would not believe car magazines that give this car a top rating and rave about their quality. If I had it to do over again, I may have purchased the Outback or some other make. I don't think I would buy another Forester, at least not the basic model. I haven't heard if Subaru as a company is investigating alternative fuel sources, so I don't know where they stand as far as innovation. They just seem to be doing more of the same, but maybe most of their customers have the opinion that if it works don't mess with it.
  • dmathew347dmathew347 Member Posts: 80
    Is there any chance the current Legacy Rebate would be increased from the current amount of $750 ? Especially since this is the last year for the Legacy wagon. I was wondering if it would approach the $2000 mark of the '06 models.
    I imagine that the Subaru cheerleaders here will tell you to take your car in for warranty service. But in my limited experience, it's hard to get satisfactory warranty service for annoyances. I suspect that Subaru of America underfunds its warranty program. So the dealership's incentive is to bob and weave to get out of performing warranty work.
    At least you qualified your experience as "limited" I think it all depends on the dealer, which SOA doesn't have a lot of control over unfortunately. I'd definitely have em check it out and see what they can come up with.

-mike
    You're near fitzmall.com, so start with their prices. E-mail me if you want a reference to a specific sales person.
    The way I see it, SOA is morally and legally 100% responsible for the actions and inactions of the dealer as far as honoring warranties goes.

If somebody hires me to perform services, and I delegate those services to Mr. Incompetent who screws things up, am I gonna shrug my shoulders and say "Hey, I have no control over Mr. Incompetent"? Of course not. I'm going to apologize and do everything I can to make things right. And I will fire Mr. Incompetent if he doesn't clean up his act.

Just my humble opinion.
    Call 800-SUBARU3 and complain. Otherwise SoA has no way of knowing you aren't being taken care of.
    Unfortunately SOA can only do so much to control the dealers. As Juice said, if SOA doesn't know you aren't being serviced, they can't possible fix the problem. It would be like getting a bad Hamburger at Burger King, telling the store it's bad, them not doing anything, then you complain that Burger King Corporate isn't doing anything to help you. They can't help what they aren't aware of.

-mike
    Tell them, believe me. A place like that will send you vouchers for free food and use the feedback wisely. Subaru will too, if they see a pattern of problems.
  • samghoshsamghosh Member Posts: 2
    Well I recently bought an Outback. However initially I was interested in the Legacy Wagon 2.5i (Limited). Believe me in Indianapolis they could not find a single one in the neighboring 5 state. Also I went to 3 dealerships and I found only 2 Legacy Wagon 2.5i automatic in one dealership only. It seems to me for some reasons Legacy Wagons are scare to find.
  • mrosato33mrosato33 Member Posts: 2
    Just leased an '07 2.5i Outback and wanted to give feedback and advice for purchase or lease for any vehicle.

1) Go at the end of the month
    2) Use Edmunds dealer quote to obtain internet quoted from dealers. I received 4 quotes and all were well below the price offered at the dealership. I asked the sales manager about it and he said that internet quotes are "always" lower. My price was 22175 on a 2.5i outback wagon, a full 1550 under invoice with a money factor of .0024 and a residual of .58 on a 36 month lease. $485.00 down. The dealer thas sent me that quote was about 45 minutes from my house...so I literally had the dealer close to my home print the email and show it to his finance manager. We shook hands 30 seconds later. Hope this helps someone in their buying/leasing experience.