Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Outback Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• rujorujo Member Posts: 137
    Can you clarify for me . . . what was the MSRP on your Outback? (I'm unclear as to whether your price was $1550 under invoice or $1550 under sticker - thanks!)
  • mrosato33mrosato33 Member Posts: 2
    MSRP was $25,634, 2.5i Outback wagon with XM radio.
    The edmunds invoice and the invoice the dealer showed me
    were both $23,725. Sale Price was $22,175. Internet is the way to go. No one should ever pay over invoice for a new vehicle.
  • dmathew347dmathew347 Member Posts: 80
    Is the $750 rebate still on for the Legacy, and from past experiences does anyone know if it will go up in the months after April. I am just wondering if the rebates go up, as it gets closer to the introduction of the new model year.
  • smittynycsmittynyc Member Posts: 289
    I could be totally wrong about this, but I think based on what's happened in the past it won't go up on 07s until early NEXT year.

I think at best you might see them offer the $750 rebate + low APR, like they're doing for the 07 Tribeca and Foresters.
    I'm confused . . . why wouldn't you just buy one from the same dealer your friend did?

Anyway, the dealers might be telling the truth when they say the SE wagon is in short supply. When I bought mine in Dec, there was only one in silver at all of the dealers in the greater NY/NJ area, e.g., and I haven't seen one in silver since.

A quick inventory check reveals that most of the dealers up here don't have any SE wagons in stock, and at this late date, I doubt the cavalry is coming. You can find a couple at some of the big-volume stores -- almost always in one of the two blue colors.

FWIW, I paid $21500 + TTL. That includes the $750 rebate, but I also got some options (fogs, roof rack, splash guards, cargo tray, nets, mats), and up here we get the PZEV emissions equipment($200). According to Edmunds, that's roughly $1500 under invoice.
  • dmathew347dmathew347 Member Posts: 80
    How is $21500 the invoice price. According to Edmunds, the invoice for the 2.5 Se is $20,551 - $750 rebate + $625 destination (before TTL and processing) ?? So shouldn't it be $20426 + TTL + Processing ?

Just wanted to clarify, i just want a good price to shoot for before heading out next weekend to purchase.
    I checked -- you're looking at sedan pricing, not wagon.

Base Edmunds invoice for the wagon -- $21645
    Invoice cost of options/PZEV emissions -- $786
    Destination (I counted that in my total)--$625

Total--$23056

If it is a sedan you're after, those seem to be in much greater supply than the SE wagons. At most I would offer invoice minus rebate, and you could probably do a little better than that, even.
  • tpowleytpowley Member Posts: 1
    Hi there Cath,

I was scouring the forums looking for advice on buying a Subaru extended warranty and came across this post. I decided to give Lee from Stacy Subaru a call since he gave you such a good deal. He was still there and was able to help me out, beating all the other competition's quotes by a considerable amount. I am very happy with the experience and just wanted to let you know this.

Tammy.
  • kmrtnsn12601kmrtnsn12601 Member Posts: 1
    The '08 Subarus are due in the dealers' showrooms in June. Based on our experience, getting the last new '07 Outback from our L.A. area dealer two weeks ago, I would venture to say that inventory levels are so low on '07's that Subaru has no need to increase the amount on the rebates. The grill for the new Legacy/Outback is hideous, get an '07 while you can.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The local dealer already had 08s.

The grille looks OK in person. I think I prefer the old one, as the new one is bigger and has a big chrome grame around it, but chrome seems to be trendy right now. I bet sales go up.
  • parkyparky Member Posts: 20
    Read post 1110. How about a used 06 outback Wagon XT $26K w/ 10,000 miles? Were into 07 and 08 models now, so what is a fair price? Its in CT. :shades:
  • jwb18tjwb18t Member Posts: 45
    International Mountain Bike Association offers a discount to members on any Subaru model between $1500 and 3000 off of MSRP. Is it worth it? or is it just as easy to get as good if not better deal by working with the dealer? Thx.
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    I used it on my FXT back in May '04. Made the process painless, was treated like very well (seemed like special treatment to me, even at a dealer that I had a previous good experience with). Everything begins at invoice pricing, even options. Then any applicable rebates or incentives come off that. With my FXT at that time, pricing in my area was not sticker, but it wasn't invoice (though it was close). The $25 for the IMBA membership was far worth it, IMHO.

I ordered my FXT btw with this as well. Don't let them say you can't do that. They may even move your order up to "first available" in the port if one matches your specs.

-Brian
  • chicago3chicago3 Member Posts: 13
    I am in chicago and am looking for a deal on the Outback 3.0 with all options. Would you mind letting me know who you dealt with at Don Jacobs? Thanks!
    We used the VIP to get our Legacy. It was painless. Definitely recommend it if you're not in to the whole haggling thing.
  • jwb18tjwb18t Member Posts: 45
    Ateixeira and Suberana, Thx very much for sharing your experience using the IMBA discount.
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    Subearu, suberana, ahh, close enough ;)

-Brian
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    Suberana... has a nice ring to it... sounds southern.. :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• zy1zy1 Member Posts: 31
    Hi,

Anyone bought outback recently? I noticed that the rebate for 2007 Outback is increased to $1,500 in May. One dealer's online ad. shows $17,998 for 2007 Outback 2.5 basic MT. Is this price a low ball or some kind of tricks?

Thanks.
    Read the fine print. It's probably not including freight and whatever fees they tack on.

For instance, Brown's Honda calls themselves a no-haggle dealer, yet they don't include freight in the $595 quote, and $299 processing fee. That adds almost a grand to the price.

Fitzmall is better, but even they add a $99 processing fee to the prices they publish.

Read the fine print, because in this case it's a difference of $800 from one dealer to the next.
  • yyywwwyyywww Member Posts: 3
    The quote I got for a 2.5i MT is

MSRP:$24687.
    OTD: $21,100+ttg+doc

Zy1's deal seems much better even + $1000 as Ateixeira questioned.
  • robb7robb7 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 2008 2.5XT Limited, stick, Tuesday from a dealer on the Eastside of the Seattle area. $30,250. The process was easy, they made some cabbage and I paid what seemed appropriate, based on a number of quotes and all the Internet research. I highly recommend the dealership/salesman I dealt with.

We took it across the state, fishing, and it was great! Some mild 4 wheel driving and some snow in the pass.
  • sheroosheroo Member Posts: 9
    After a lot of soul searching I finally traded in our celica for the outback as I needed a "family" friendly car and we do a lot of camping. Believe it or not we did a lot of camping with the celica. Got it from Fremont Subaru in california and the price was 22891 + tax+doc fees + CA tires etc... (with out the 1500 rebate)
    came upto about 25000/- with out rebate.
    I didn't buy the extended warranty. Should I?

It was actually the lower than the forester premium quote.

Both the Sales person Tomas and the finance guy were good and not pushy. Tomas even allowed me to check up on edmunds the TMV etc..
  • yyywwwyyywww Member Posts: 3
    Just bought a 2007 2.5i , mannual. $21267 before tax,tag etc. in New Jersey .Thanks for the info of the forum. COmments?
    Sounds good, congrats.

You get heated seats and alloys. I think they cut a bit too much content out of the Basic, so I'd have gone with the 2.5i as well. Cheers. :shades:
  • dmitry138dmitry138 Member Posts: 2
    Just got 2007 2.5i (Not Basic) MT for $21200 before tax, tag and $109 doc fee, $68 cargo net included. In NJ too. Did really spend a lot of time to get this price, looks like they were happy to get rid of this car.
    Congrats! Check out the Subaru Crew threads if you haven't found them already. :shades:
  • bystander6bystander6 Member Posts: 16
    Is there any good deal in Seattle area? I also found that 2008 model's rebate has been increased from $500 to $1000. Is there any good deal for 2008 model? Any info to share will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    I have a quote for 2008 2.5i AT at $23,500. It this is a good deal?
  • pathtomaxpathtomax Member Posts: 215
    I have been trying to find a good deal on a 2007 but there aren't many in New England. I was offered a deal on a 2008 Outback LL Bean 3.0 at a price of $28,900. Is this good?
  • wantrx330wantrx330 Member Posts: 26
    I just purchased a 2008 Outback base model with automatic transmission as an option. I paid $19,990 for the car. Out the door price of $20,200.

Is this a good deal?
    Heck yeah, under $20k for an auto?

A couple of years ago you could not touch one for under $22k, and that would've been a manual.

Congrats. :shades:
  • milemmilem Member Posts: 39
    Hello,

I'm also looking at that model and have asked (not received yet) quotes to some dealers within Edmund's.

Did you receive others quotes ? Where are you at in your transaction ?

Thank's
    Hello,
    Looking to buy a new Outnack, I'm curious about your transaction.

Can you give me some numbers? What was the MSRP, invoice price, "internet sale" (?), rebate (1000 $), and all the other fees...

I'm new at this forum, I already asked for some quotes... but I want to be sure I'm getting a honest deal !

Thanks
    This is 2008 outback base model with automatic transmission as an option. MSRP $23,640. Invoice $21,632. Got the car for $19,990. I don't have sales tax where I live so only add on was title and registration for $218. Total $20,208.

I couldn't get any other Subaru dealership to beat this price.
    Thanks for your answer.
    I can see that you got a nice deal !

What did you do to get the dealer drop his price so low (you got msrp minus 3650 $) ?

I'm at the beginning of getting some quotes, as for now I only got the MSRP minus 1 800 $

Did you had to "deal" a lot ?

Thanks
  • bolderriderbolderrider Member Posts: 1
    I'm getting ready to buy the following car tonight:

2008 outback 2.5i limited w/ vdc +
    remote starter
    auto-dimming rear view mirror.

The price, including all dealer fees, but not taxes is:
    $24818

The MSRP on this car is ~$29500

Does this seem about right? Thanks.
    Hello,
    In what state are you buying your car ?
    From my own research, I think that you're having a nice deal.
    Can you break down your sale price for me and tell me the prices of your options (remote etc.)

I'm in the middle of negociation for a 2.5 i Automatic and the best price I've got is: 22 386 $(before all fees and after the rebate), the MSRP is either 25 240 $ or 25 440$ (either federal or ca pricing )???

P.S. Can anyone tell me if it's "federal ou CA pricing" in Maine ?? (It would help when dealing a sale price to know which "pricing" is the real one for the dealer...)

Thank you for the info.
  • texmextexmex Member Posts: 4
    I just leased an '08 Outback 2.5i(not basic) here in NJ.
    MSRP: $25570, agreed on $22500.
    Put down: $1000(included first mths paymt and registration fee)
    Mthly payments @ $320.
    $$ factor:.002600(?)
    42 mths
    Comments? What do you think Carman? Did I get screwed or is it a fair deal. I've leased many cars and this is my first from Subaru; I've come to realize this: Dealerships get their $$ in the end. It's just a fact.
  • slazengerslazenger Member Posts: 99
    It is a good deal. Go for it...
    In which state are you buying the car? Trim level and options?

You should be able to get a 2.5 Base A/T wagon for around $20,400 before TTL (Taxes, Title and License). If you buy at the end of the month, you might be able to haggle down a little bit more. Don't go with the cheapest dealer, if they don't treat you right. I don't mind paying $100-$150 more to an honest dealer with good customer service.
    It is a fair price but not great. Does it have any accessories? I would shoot for $28400 without any accessories.
    Try Carter in Seattle or Carr and Wentworth in Portland, OR. You should be able to get a 2.5i AT for $22,500 before TTL.
    You did good on cap cost and money factor. Could have done slightly better on residual. It is around 0.55 from the numbers that I see. However, if you did get good miles/year, it is a fair deal for a lease.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Go to our new Dealer Rater to post your sales or service review!
    I would like to hear from those who bought or are in the process of buying a car, to learn about the "dealings " "long distance" either by phone or email.

What do you do when the saleperson gives you a price about the invoice minus the rebate, without any negociation and, when I asked to have his "very best price" he suggested that I gave him my numbers... What shall I do now ? How low can I go to finally have a nice deal ?

I read about some posters who got very nice deal and I would also like to be one of those !!

Thanks for your help.
    Have you bought this car? I am interested in buy this model also. Thanks.
    I'm curious to know how you got such a good sale price ?

Do you mind telling me what was your negotiations like ?
    1-What was the first sale price the salesperson asked for ?
    2-What was the price you offer to pay the car ? etc...

I'm in stage #2 for a 2.5 i automatic: the slesperson is waiting for me to give him "the price I want to pay" !

Thanks
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    The price you end up paying varies by location, dealer, and buyer! Sit down and figure out how much you want to pay for the car, and then figure out how much you are willing to pay. Tell the dealer how much you want to pay (and be prepared to defend/support that amount). The dealer will likely want to come up from there and will counter with something likely higher than what you are willing to pay. Come back with a counter offer and if the dealer will not meet or come lower than what you are willing to pay, don't buy from that dealer.

Talk in terms of OTD (out the door) pricing, otherwise you will end up paying more than you expected. If you do not go over invoice and do not pay more than you are willing to pay, you got the deal you wanted! ;)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    I think it all depends on how willing the dealership is wanting to sell the car, inventory, type of car, and being firm with your offer.

I visited Toyota dealership before Subaru to look at the base model Camry and it was difficult to even get $1800 off MSRP because the car sells itself.