Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Outback Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• pglowaczpglowacz Member Posts: 2
    Yes 2007 2.5i Outback
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    You mean it's not even the Basic model? Holy cow... :surprise:
  • thedorkthedork Member Posts: 10
    That is a very good price.

I was offered today $19 900 for basic in CA - I guess I need to work on the price for 2007 Outback now - they probably clean the inventory

Which dealer did offer you that price? Thanks!
  • kurisukurisu Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2008 Outback 2.5i this week. With the $1000 rebate, the closing price was $25,365. This was with 4-speed automatic transmission w/ sportshift, round cross bar set for use with Yakima products, all weather mats, equipment group 1a (auto-dimming mirror/compass, security system upgrade), exterior/interior/under car sealant, and the compartment separator/dog guard. I think that's it.

I was particularly happy with the trade-in value I got for my previous car. In the end they agreed to the exact trade-in value listed on both edmunds.com and in Kelley Blue Book, although they initially start $2,700 below that number.

In the end, I also managed to get a better APR on my financing and gap coverage thrown in at that price.
  • vxmqzzvxmqzz Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. I test-drived a 2008 outback 2.5i, it seems to me that when stopping at a red light, with the AC on, the front seats vibrated a little bit, the movement is up and down, turned off the AC and vibration gone. Dealer said it was normal. I was a little bit skptical about this. What's your opinion about this matter ? Thanks
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,780
    The engine works harder when the A/C is on and does create a stronger vibration. But, it should not be anything unpleasant or "rough." In general, the boxer engines have more vibration to them at idle but I find it imperceptible unless the A/C is on.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • milemmilem Member Posts: 39
    Just Bought 2008, Outback, 2.5i LLBean (+ nav) + VDC, diamond gray metallic, but didn't have a choice on the interior..."warm ivory" !

I bought the LLBean at 24 000 $ + 289 $ for documentation fees (I didn't negociate this price!)and paid for some accessories.

I want to thank everybody that answered my questions in the last weeks: because of this forum, a few others on this site and articles on Edmunds.com, I was a LOT more informed and able to "deal" my new car at what I hope you all think is "a good deal" !!! ;)

Thanks !
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    thats like 1500 below invoice! thats a great price, what dealer did you get this from??
  • subaruguy27subaruguy27 Member Posts: 2
    I'm in negotiation for a 2006 outback, previous owner some rental company so the dealer got it at auction. The dealer buys a LOT of cars this way from what I can see. I assume therefore that they pay rather less than the $17900 blue book trade in value and am basing my offer on an $18000 base price. I'm a cash buyer with no trade in.

Is this unreasonable - is there anywhere I can look up auction price comparables?
    I do not know about public sites for looking up auction prices, but you could go to a reputable used car dealer that also buys/consigns autos. They will often be able to look up current auction prices to get an idea of how the car is selling there in order to determine a "reasonable" retail markup. You would probably need to conceal the details of your inquiry, however, as they would surely be less willing to disclose that information if they knew you were looking to buy rather than sell. ;)

I took my '07 Outback (basic) to have it placed on consignment when I wanted to sell it. They guy at a local place did what I mentioned above and it showed about 9 numbers for this model, ranging from 19,100 to 19,700. This was back in April (in Alaska).
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • subaruguy27subaruguy27 Member Posts: 2
    19k+? Is that the price paid at auction?

Blue book trade-in for a basic 07 outback is just under $18k - I even typed in an Anchorage zip code to see if that made a difference. Could it have changed that much since April. I guess its an 07.

The suggestion that a dealer would pay $1k over the blue book trade in price seems very odd to me.
    Well, this was early April before the '08 models were released, additional rebates were announced ($750 rebate at that time, if I recall correctly), etc. If there are blue book trade-in amounts advertised by NADA, KBB, etc., it is a recent addition. Even in June when I finally sold the car, there were no price guides on it. I dumped it for $18,900 private party and have never looked back. Funny enough, KBB shows its value as being $20,700 private party (right now). I find that somewhat silly considering that is about what I paid for it. *shrugs* The next time I am in the lower 48 I need to buy me a Subaru just to drive it back up here and sell it at a profit.

Regardless, you missed the forest for the tree on that one. The suggestion was not in the dollars listed. ;)
  • bystander6bystander6 Member Posts: 16
    It is $500 below invoice + $1000 customer cash.
  • milemmilem Member Posts: 39
    The official MSRP price was 27440 $. I did'nt use the invoice price with the dealer, but on a sheet of price I found on the net, it was around "25788". I got a 1000 $ rebate from Subaru and the sale price of the car was 24000 $, so you can say it was 788 under the invoice.
    I hope this helps !
    I guess $788 under invoice is the best deal so far this year.
  • nssubienssubie Member Posts: 3
    Hi all,

Just in the midst of purchasing the above vehicle for importation back to Canada. It is SO much cheaper for me to do this. I faxed a request for quotes to 5 dealers within 20 mi radius of Newark, NJ (easy direct flight from NS) and settled on $31846 out the door (with temp registration) including $310 of options at invoice. Seems like a good deal to me, even setting aside how much cheaper it is compared to what Subaru Canada is charging. Thoughts?
    The invoice is $32667. Customer cash is $750. So your deal is about at the invoice price. There are some folks got the deal at close to $800 under invoice. I guess you still can get lower price if try harder. Good luck.
  • 14ersco14ersco Member Posts: 3
    Have been searching for a new Outback and according to their website the largest volume Subaru dealer in America is in Colorado, and they will offer delivery service and shipping. Had went through the Subaru website to request a quote on a vehicle in stock and few hours later got a reply with a sale price that is below invoice (also below the Aug 24 post); even after discounting the rebate. Just started the purchase, so do not want to give out the actual numbers until after the purchase. A fall drive from Colorado across southern Canada is great, just drove it last year.
  • nssubienssubie Member Posts: 3
    Taking the invoice price, substract doc fee (195), temp reg (25), customer cash(750) and options at invoice (310) gets to 600 under invoice.
    If you look at thread #1368, you would know what I meant. In that case, according to your calculation method, his deal would be $1500 under invoice. Good luck.
  • fxoffroadfxoffroad Member Posts: 67
    $25,000 for an 08 Outback Limited w/VDC, auto start, homelink dimmer mirror, subwoofer.

Sticker: $29,492
    From Edmunds...
    Invoice: $27,289
    TMV: $27,228

With all this in mind... I'm satisfied w/ the $25,000 number (purchased in Colorado) :shades:
  • lrossnmlrossnm Member Posts: 36
    I'm in New Mexico and looking for the same car. Where in Colorado was the purchase and what was the color?
    The deal sounds like a good one. It would be worth a drive for me. I have an '05 Outback and want a new one.
    Go through Subaru online... and request price quotes that way... I went through Valley Subaru in Longmont. Excellent internet sales. Gave me the exact price on the net that I paid for the vehicle. Good luck. Love the vehicle... it rocks... and gets 30mpg on average... and I drive it most of the time in Sport mode.
  • kinstenkinsten Member Posts: 1
    I just bought an '08 Outback XT Limited, automatic, Package 2A, compass/Homelink mirror, and subwoofer for:
    $29780 - $750 rebate = $29030 + TTL
    How's my deal?
    Only you can answer that question.
    FXOFFROAD:

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out. What color did you get?
    Do you like the subwoofer even with the WOW system? I have the stock subwoofer now.
    FXOFFROAD:

Also, did the $25,000 include the $1000 cash back?
    yes.
  • mithrandirmithrandir Member Posts: 28
    Yesterday, I took delivery on a quartz silver wagon from Becker Subaru in Allentown, PA. This is the 5th new car I've bought in my lifetime and without a doubt my sales experience with Becker was superior to any other. Pricing was very fair and the whole transaction was committed smoothly and quickly. It was certainly worth the 40 mile drive up to Allentown (I live closer to Philly).

Becker sold me the 2008 at invoice ($23,040) and also I took the $1,000 cash rebate from Subaru, taking the price down to $22,040. Edmund's current TMV is $500 over invoice.

I traded-in a 2003 Outback Base wagon MT with 46,700 miles in good condition for $11,000. "Market" trade-in value depending on condition and estimator (Edmunds, KBB, Intellichoice, etc) ranged from $9,084 to $12,175 so I am satisfied with the trade-in allowance. I paid $20,747 for the 2003 which means the car depreciated $9,747 over the 49 months I owned it. No complaints.

Financing is going through SOA and I got 6.99% for 36 months. It was cheaper to take the $1,000 rebate than get the 3.9% subsidized financing (can't combine them).

I did not have to negotiate or haggle on price at all. These prices represented their "initial offer" and did not see the need to talk them down. Usually a dealer's first price (purchase minus trade-in allowance) is so ridiculous and off by a few grand from the "real" price; however, it appears Becker is more interested in turn-around and making deals. They did not pressure me to buy add-on services and warranties either.

When I picked up my new car yesterday, all the paperwork was in order and the prices on the sheets were exactly as promised. The people are very friendly and relaxed. My salesperson told me Becker is closed on weekends so everybody works a "regular" Monday-Friday schedule; the people are happier for it.

I'm glad I went "out of my way" and drove to Allentown. Based on my experience at Becker I can't see buying a Subaru anyplace else.
  • stacie995stacie995 Member Posts: 1
    fxoffroad:

Thank you so much for your post! I live in the Denver metro area and have been shopping Subaru dealers this past week for a 2008 Outback. I emailed the dealer you suggested and they sent back the price of $25500 for 2.5i Limited. Did you have to negotiate further to get the VDC or did that automatically come with it? The one other option I would like is a remote start.

Thanks for your help! Have a great night..

Stacie
    since end of July all 2.5i Ltd should be coming with VDC (model 8DG), they stopped making them without VDC after that time. its possible they may have an early production version (8DF) from before this time on their lot.
    Stacie:

No I didn't have to try to get them to lower the price - but you may ask to see "if they can do any better".

Your welcome. Yeah... it came w/ VDC (which I think is a "must have" option)... I'm think the cash back offer from Subaru is less right now... then what I got. sounds like a great deal. Most LTDs I've saw had the VDC and remote start. The vehicle w/ those options for the $25500 sounds good if it works for you.

Valley Subaru was by far the most efficient, straight-forward dealerships. I couldn't believe that the Aurora dealer or other dealers were asking me repeatedly which model and color I wanted and Valley was giving me EXACT prices - which is EXACTLY what I paid. I found that to be very rare... hence these postings! :)

Good luck.
    Cash back offer for September is $1000 for the '08s (Not XT), according to a solicitation I received from a Subaru dealership yesterday.
    Subaru is giving $750 on 08 XTs in my market (Colorado). Easiest if you simply check on their website... they update their rebates/cash back every month.
    fxoffroad:

What color LTD did you get and did your final price reflect the $1000 rebate?

Thanks

Ross in NM
  • 14ersco14ersco Member Posts: 3
    I am also in Colorado and have decided to make my Outback purchase with the dealer in Colorado Springs. Number 1 in sales for Subaru and a large inventory. They have always answered my calls and email quickly and have provided below invoice prices on not only cars they have in stock, but also cars in stock at other dealers. Did not try Valley since they did not have the Outback in stock that I wanted.

As far as other dealers in Colorado it has been interesting. Did use the Subaru site to ask for prices at 3 dealers on cars they had in stock. One in the mtns waited a week to reply and never offered a price. The one in GJ called within an hour, but the saleswoman admitted she had only been working there 2 weeks and when I asked for a price she guessed it was MSRP; she did call back and offer invoice. The third request was to Golden where I previously bought Subaru's and have had my service done. They never offered a price, but I did get a test drive; after going through 4-5 salesmen. Also used Edmunds to ask for prices from Golden and Boulder; 10 days later and no reply from either.
  • lemonbalmlemonbalm Member Posts: 3
    The internet sales at the dealership I'm looking at quoted me for a 2.5i which comes with the cold weather package. He said "our cost is 22,200 and
    we would ask to make at least a small profit on it." (destination/deliv charge included in that price.). I'm not looking at VDC and I hope that's the right decision. I'm not sure if that 22K included the rebate but I would assume not, as I just read about it here.
    Excuse my newbie-ness, but I'm going in today to drive the thing and have my Sienna LE looked at for trade in (I know I have to look it up in the KBB first, however).
    Any thoughts on what I should offer? I am paying CASH plus the trade in. No financing.
    Valley Subaru in Longmont didn't have the Limited I wanted either... but they got the exact car I wanted and the had the lowest price - which is exactly what I paid when I took delivery.

I was very surprised by dealers in the Denver area - like Burt Subaru who until last week were still sending me e-mails to see what color and model I wanted (I had always responded w/ the details), so it was a crock. I drove an Outback LTD @ the Golden dealership. Walked right in and the sales manager got me a plate and handed me the keys... I asked if I could take it up on 70 and he said go to Idaho Springs if you like by myself. That was sweet and honestly that was the deciding moment for me. Unfortunately they never gave me pricing on the vehicle.

Shorline in Aurora came in second place - but couldn't match the price from Valley in Longmont. And I don't understand why Shortline needs to put pinstriping on every Outback. The other dealers, Flatirons, etc... just plain bad.
    Not that its my business or concern... but why would you not want a vehicle with stability control (VDC)? I think that is something that should be on every vehicle.
    VDC is simply not available on the 2.5i; you have to get the Limited package for that. Since the Limited package also "gives" you leather, moonroof and other pricey but non-essential features, demanding VDC raises your costs.

To get VDC and a stick shift, you have to choose the Outback XT. Now you are in a different TCO ballgame.
    you can get a 2.5 "base" LL Bean with VDC, you get the nav but not the leather and sunroof. But it is auto only and only about 1 grand less than a 2.5i Ltd VDC (which has no nav).
    There are too many 4 cylinder Outback styles. Basic < 2.5i < LLBean < LLBean VDC < Limited < Limited VDC < LLBean Limited < LLBean Limited VDC < XT < XT Nav.

If you want to confuse matters more you could stick the Impreza-based Outback "Sport" to the left of the "Basic"! But at least now Outbacks are wagons and Legacies are sedans.
    Too many? I don't think so. For comparison off the top of my head... try the Ford Super Duty series of trucks. There are six models that can configured in a variety of ways. I commend Subaru for offering as these vehicles. Or do you prefer the Honda method of providing less variations than Subaru? :confuse:
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,603
    I think the truck market and expectations of their buyers, with regards to options and packages, are very different to the average buyer of a mid-sized sedan or wagon. Few commercial buyers looking at Outbacks.

I agree that Subaru's Outback line is pretty confusing to a new buyer. VDC becomes standard on Limiteds made after July, so that knocks one model out. To me, it should look like basic/2.5i/LL Bean/LL Bean Ltd. The standard Limited is just another layer that splits things too thin. Plus, I have always thought that the XT and 3.0R just steal sales from each other. They are featured too closely and priced too similarly. If they MUST have both, decontent the XT and give it lower the price of entry. Emphasize sport. Bump up the output of the 3.0R and make it the flagship. Emphasize luxury.

But at the top, I still think they only need one...

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

They should simplify it by making VDC standard (overdue IMO) and then making GPS a stand-alone option.
  • deblsdebls Member Posts: 6
    I posted this under an existing post regarding buying an older Subaru but was afraid it would get buried and not read.
    I have an opportunity to buy a 1998 Subaru Legacy/Outback Limited. It is a one owner car, has 77,100 miles on it. Has been well maintained according to the carfax report. Available thru an independent garage/auto sales shop. Owner of the shop is a friend. This car is in EXCELLENT condition inside and out. Friend said he would put it on the lot for 8500.00. He would sell it to me for 7395.00 plus dealer prep and tax. This would replace my Chevy Cavalier that has 127,000 miles on it and has begun to cost me money. Plus I live in CT and could use the AWD. I've driven it and it seems great but I am not a mechanic. I don't hear any obvious loud noices. Owned a 1983 GL Sedan for 9 years. Loved the car but hated the rust and the Y pipe that I had to replace twice. Traded that one in with 95,000 miles on it. Friend says Subaru got rid of the Y pipe.
    So, I'm asking for you Subaru guru's opinions.
    This seems like a great deal to me...what say you?
    Deal or No Deal?
    Thanks in advance for your valued opinions.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    That's a bit high for a 10 year old car. Even a subaru. I'd offer him $4500-5000 for it max.

-mike
  • deblsdebls Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the feedback Mike. The Kelly's Blue Book site gave me a price of 10,000. as far as what a dealer might ask for a car with the above specs. Said that is where you can start haggling. I ran it by another site (can't remember which one) and it came up with 9300.00. I thought those were WAY high. Wasn't sure about 7395.00. The guy had 3 calls on it when it was on the lot for 8500.00 so I may just let it go. Tom said I'd get another 100,000 miles on it easy. I've been reading a lot in here since Friday trying to get an idea on reliability. Thanks again for your time.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    You'll get 100k more out of it, but just can't see paying that much for a 10 year old car. :(

-mike
    Just for reference, I sold my 98 Forester L with 78k miles for $5550, and people thought I did well getting that much.

The price does sound a tad high. The Outback cost maybe a grand or two more when new, so figure $6-7 grand is all the money on that car.