Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Outback Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    Is this one a Limited? What is your region? I was going to pay 5K for a '96 Outback (not limited) in Anchorage this spring, but the seller jumped ship when I mentioned that my price agreement was contingent upon inspecting it to verify no head gasket leaks or severe oil leaks from the cam seals and valve cover gaskets. I thought everything was in order, drove to Anchorage, gave the guy a call, and found out he had sold it to somebody else the day before. I suspect that buyer was stuck with a car with "issues."

'98 is two years newer and about the same mileage as this '96 was, so I could see paying 6500-7000 for it up here in Alaska. Since it is with a dealer, you might get stuck paying a bit of a markup. 10,000 KBB?! I keep falling back to thinking it must be a Limited (leather seats, dual moonroof, etc). Maybe not, though.

If the headgaskets and transmission are in good order, the car should serve you well. Do not pay too much heed to the "I could sell it for..." nonsense. Figure out how much it is worth to you, offer that, and if the dealer can get more for it, it will be sold to someone else. If not, he will come groveling back to you.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • deblsdebls Member Posts: 6
    It is a limited but no moon roof. The guy is a mechanic with his own shop and sells a few used cars. Supposedly clean and mechanically sound. I think I will make an offer on this one and leave it if it does not work out. I am in New England and could use the AWD.
    Thanks for your time and opinion.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Hmm, I think Outback Limiteds always had moonroofs.

Maybe this is aftermarket leather, or a dealer package of some sort?
  • budrewbudrew Member Posts: 16
    Decided on an XT in Diamond Gray Metallic. Without nav there are only a few around within hundreds of miles. With nav there are zilch! But, my local dealer has a silver with nav newly arrived. Hmmm...
    Skip the NAV, get the DGM, and put in a portable unit down the road. It will save you money and you will have more flexibility with the unit you do end up putting in the car.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    I thought that as well. No matter, it looks like you have a plan of action nonetheless! I hope it works out for you.
    I wonder if a Garmin Nuvi or a Tom Tom One would fit in that dash-top Bin. That would be neat if it did.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• pathtomaxpathtomax Member Posts: 215
    There are only a few of us interested in the XT model line and the inventory reflects it. It is funny, I am in NH, the heart of Subaru Country, and there is always very little inventory.

Just for the h*ll of it, search XT inventory in Seattle- they are STOCKED!

I am still deciding between the XT with Nav or the 5-speed. I still want the 5-speed, but don't know if I need/want the Nav...
    I just bought an 08 XT without nav. I decided the cost was not worth it, plus I've read many negative comments on the usability of the Subaru nav UI. You can always add a portable nav product to the dash, and even move it between cars, or even hike with it!

I got the Diamond Gray Metallic and I love it! Simply a beautiful car. Just what I wanted. Sporty with turbo yet Subaru practical. So far it drives fantastic. Only a few miles on it, but a pleasure all around.

I originally looked at the Tribeca (I was trading up from a 2002 Outback), but in the end like the size and layout of the Outback better. And the XT is more fun to drive. The Tribeca almost seemed hard to manage when starting on the gas. It seemed to want to get and go quick.

I wonder who the typical buyer is of the XT is and why they chose it? Since we are such a small lot. For me, the standard 4 cylinder was always somewhat anemic. My 2002 had the H6 which was plenty strong, yet still not sporty or quick. The XT seems to offer the best combination. I love how the turbo starts to kick in and you feel sucked along and up in speed. :)
    the standard 4 cylinder was always somewhat anemic

Everyone has their preferences, of course, but anemic is a rather strong term for a car with as much spunk as an Outback. My '96 Outback at 220,000 miles was anemic. The new ones have spunk. The XT is downright fun. :P

At any rate, congratulations on the car! The color you chose is quite striking.
    It seems to me that I buy new cars when a color comes along that is beautiful and unique. The Diamond Gray Metallic is unique and beautiful. It is beautifully elegant in the sun with a tinge of blueness to it. It pairs very well with the off black interior.

Vavoom!
  • ivynorthivynorth Member Posts: 2
    I got a quote for a 2008 Outback 2.5i Limited for $26,000 out the door. This includes the current $1,000 rebate. This particular vehicle that I'm looking at has MSRP of $26,844 and invoice of about $26,700.

Is this a good price?
  • lrossnmlrossnm Member Posts: 36
    Check the numbers they gave you. The dealer invoice to MSRP seems high. Check out Fitzmall.com. Their 2.5i LTD is going for about $2500 under invoice. I'm looking for the same car myself. Depending on options I want to spend about $25,000.
    Your numbers do not add up. Invoice would not be 144 under MSRP.....
  • fxoffroadfxoffroad Member Posts: 67
    26,000 seems a little high... I was out the door @ 25,064 (in Colorado) for the same model... w/ the VDC, subwoofer, remote start, lame arm rest extension. It's a great car.
    Congratulations on your purchase! Did you get the Auto or the Manual? I have been looking at the White because I really want the beige interior. It is just me- no kids or anything and I have kept my beige interior almost factory new for 5 years now.

I currently have a 2001 Outback Limited Wagon auto with 115k. This was my commuter car for 120+ miles a day for almost 3 years. I really miss having a 5-speed as I work from home and no more traffic jams- unless I have customer meetings. Plus, I would like leather and no more 4 cylinder leather 5-speed options. So, that lands me with the XT.

I have heard the same about the Subaru Navi. We also have an RX 350 and that navigation is flawless.

It has been said before...but if only Subaru offered BLUETOOTH!!!
    I have the auto. With Bay area traffic I have no interest in a manual. the 2008 XT drives far better than my 2002 LL Bean! It sounds more like my old 4 cylinder Outback, but is far more fun to drive and faster than my 6 cylinder LL Bean.

I easily passed on the nav, but like you I wish they had bluetooth. I'm sure they will soon, but it may be tied in with the nav, so you'd have to have that too (most are, I believe). Summer 2009 they are requiring hands free mobile phone usage in cars so it would be nice to have it built in to the car. But I'm sure there will be a flood of bluetooth car adapters on the market soon. I wonder if there will be a version that will allow you to plug it in to the Aux input on the stereo?
    That is a good point to have the auto. If I was doing a lot more commuting like I have in the past, I would also choose the auto.

I just researched my local dealership and they actually have 2 XT manuals in stock! I will go by and take a look at them. Currently, I have a broken ankle, so I have to wait to actually drive it. This will be my first chance to actually see the white and beige combo in person.

We may actually have to start our own XT thread...I will surely have more questions for you when I go to pull the trigger!
  • everblueeverblue Member Posts: 27
    Hi, could you please tell me if your Outback is indeed 2.5i not 2.5i Basic? Also, is that manual or automatic? Lastly, could you please tell me which dealer you got that price from? I'm very interested in getting one for that price. Thank you.
  • ivynorthivynorth Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the advice I got on here. I bought the 2008 Outback 2.5i Limited in Obsidian Black Pearl w/ VDC and a few additional options today for $25,313 out the door. I think that's better than the $26,000 I was originally quoted. How'd I do?
  • jcorelitzjcorelitz Member Posts: 8
    my wife and i have pretty much settled on the outback as our choice for the family car based on its safety and performance features. love the awd, since we live in chicago, and seems like a solid choice for kids and pets.

i tend to prefer the styling of the '08s to the '07s, but our local dealer has a few '07s on the lot with miles in the teens for a substantial savings - $4-5k over a new model with comparable features (probably the 2.5i). is that indicative of any problems the '07 has, or might these vehicles just be coming off a lease with the price indicative of how much depreciation to expect in the first year?

i would suspect the latter, but any light anyone could shed on the decision would be much appreciated - and if there are any other makes and models to consider.

thanks!
    Find out how they were used.

If they were some executives' program car, they sound like a great buy.

If they were rental/loaner cars, well, those often get abused. Buying a used rental car is like buying a used mattress from a cheap motel! :D
    yeah... run the VIN on CarFAX for the vehicle you like and you can see if it was originally sold for personal or commercial use.

I was able to get my Limited @ $3,500 off the sticker... if you're closer to getting 4K off a used model... I'd seriously consider a new vehicle. Outbacks (in the 2.5i configuration) do appear on fleet (car rental) lots. Be careful. Good luck.
    I have to laugh when I read someone write “How’d I do?” AFTER they purchase a vehicle. It seems to be a common theme on these forums.

If you did your homework and you feel comfortable with the bottom line… then yeah… ya did good. What do you think??? :)
    thanks for the great advice - i'll look into what the used ones were used for, compare bottom lines after we talk numbers, and post what i decide to do.
    The best I have been able to find between a used '07 (with about 10K on the ticker) and a new '08 (both 2.5i) is $1750. The '07 looked pristine, but it was used as a dealer loaner car.
    Good point, and I'll add another - prices vary by region.

You can easily get a good deal here in the MD/DC/VA area. There are 7 Subaru dealers near me to compete for your business.

I think there are 2 in the entire state of Alaska, so you just won't get the same deals there.
    3, actually. One is in Juneau, though, so that one does not really count.
    I'm going by what people here have told me, so maybe they took that into account. :)
    :D
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter from a national newspaper is hoping to talk to consumers who purchased a car recently instead of waiting, fearing that prices may rise as the dollar weakens. Please reply to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Monday, October 1, 2007 with your daytime contact info.
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    just got my 2.5i Ltd/VDC for 400 under invoice before incentives from Gary Lang in McHenry, IL. They special ordered a PZEV vehicle for me. also got the 7/100K zero deductible subaru gold warranty for 1611.
    What were the incentives? Do they include the $1000 cash back?
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    yes, 1000 cash back.
    went to the dealer today to price it out -

bottom line is $500 over invoice at $24500 (which includes a few options that i think might be pretty standard ad-ons for dealers (armrest extension, dimming mirror, etc...).

with the $1000 rebate it would actually be $23500 @ $500 under invoice. is this a good deal? they offered what's in the blue book on my trade-in (2005 xterra), which is the first time i've seen that happen.

for $4000 less (bottom line) i could also go for a used 2007 with about 15k. seems like it might make more sense to go with new just for the miles, warranty, etc...

any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.

thanks!
    Live in New Mexico but got great internet service and a great price from Valley Subaru in Longmont Colorado. Trading in my'05 2.5i. It's worth the drive to Colorado.
    Would recomend them highly.
    Congrats... you're my #2 referral... I should call them and get something for my recommendation! What color did you get - cuz I know that was important to you.
    Got the Harvest Gold. Having the windows tinted. Think it will look great. Thanks fxoffroad for the info on the dealership. They really went out of their way to be helpful. I did tell them about this forum.
    i guess another way of asking the same thing is how much below invoice is the 2.5i going for right now? and does that include the $1000 rebate?
  • winterdwinterd Member Posts: 5
    I'm a Canadian living in Ontario, looking to purchase a Legacy Outback 2.5i 2007 in Michigan.
    Hoping to purchase new rather than used.
    What would a good price be and would I have to pay State sales tax?
  • mogul2mogul2 Member Posts: 14
    No, you don't have to pay MI taxes if you are registering the vehicle outside MI. Most 2007s are gone except for high end (LL Bean, XT) trim levels. Dealers are advertising invoice-$1000(rebate) on a 2008 2.5i already. If you are good at haggling, you should be able to get another $500-$1000 off.

Good luck!
  • winterdwinterd Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for your information, would an all inclusive price of $k21 for an 07 Outback basic model be considered an ok deal.........seems a tad pricey?
  • mogul2mogul2 Member Posts: 14
    Well, in your case all inclusive is car price(incl dest) + documentation fee. So, $21K is pricey.
  • frankl2frankl2 Member Posts: 1
    Where and who did you buy the car from that gave you the out the door price of $25,313 for 2008 outback 2.5i LTD w/VDC?

Your referral would be appreciated.
    I purchased an 08 Outback Limited w/ VDC, Subwoofer, Remote Start and Armrest Ext. for just over 25,000 @ Valley Subaru - Longmont, Colorado. Internet Sales.
    I purchased an '08 Outback LTD from Valley Subaru in Longmont, Co. I was happy with the deal and equipment. They were fair and helpful. Gave me a good trade-in on my '05 Outback. Instead of trucking it the 400 + miles to my home in New Mexico they had it driven here. It arrived with a cracked windshield and a chipped hood. They are working to get it fixed but the distance makes it a problem. I would purchase from them again but will have it trucked to NM.
    Hey... what happened with your Outback? Did they fix it for you?
    Had a new windshield put in by a franchise replacement company and it was defective. Still waiting for a PPG window. Took the car to a body shop and they wanted $500 to repaint the hood. Neither myself or the dealer wanted that. Seeing another person this week ( called b7y the dealer ) to see if they can fix the chip. They told me Silver and Gold are hard to work on. Mine is Gold. Still waiting for the title paperwork from Valley Subaru. I am not impressed with their "after sale " performance.
    FXOFFROAD:

Another stupid thing they did was to put the temp tag (on the back window) with Scotch tape over a new tint job. Still have not got back to me on the best way to remove it without screwing up the tint. Got some off but the glue remained.

On the good side I love the car. Many improvements over my '05 Outback.