Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Outback Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• raiderfan1raiderfan1 Member Posts: 12
    Here is some information from the Portland Oregon Subaru Dealer

MSRP.........................$25,641.00
    Selling price..............$21,703.00 color of your choice
    L.E.V.%........................58.00%
    Lease end value........$14,871.78
    Down payment...........$1,000.00
    DMV..............................$218.00
    36 month lease at 10K per year =.....................$238.81 per month
  • bob757flbob757fl Member Posts: 16
    Ricky,
    Thanks for this information. I now know not to pay anymore than 22k for the 2.5i. The first internet offer out came back with 22,200, no fees, plus tax and title, for a white, 2.5i automatic w/ compass mirror and floor mats. I might take it.
    Bob
    OK, I took it. Bird Road Subaru of Miami sold me a white 2.5i w/mirror compass and wheel locks for 22031 plus tax, title, and state doc fees for a total out the door price of 23566. This was by far the best offer out there besides Fitzgerald AutoMall who came close.
    Bob
  • ckalolackalola Member Posts: 6
    hello all. i'm considering buying a 2.5i limited with floormats and the center arm rest. the msrp is 28758. i'm being offered the car for 24599. what do y'all think? thanks in advance.
  • mvraymvray Member Posts: 1
    Local dealer has a couple of low mileage 2008 Outback wagon 2.5i autos. How much should I offer for these? Should I be concerned about these? Seems odd that some used 2008's show up.
    I think the '08s started coming in March of last year so maybe the previous owners were people who just have to have a new car every year. Check the VIN on Carfax and make sure you know what you are getting. Very worth the 30 bucks!
    ckalola,
    The Cars101.com site lists the limited 2.5i invoice at 26265 for non-california buyers. Subtract 1000 or 1500 depending on the rebate available in your area and either way, it looks like a fair deal as long as you get it in writing that it no other dealer fees will be added on besides tax and title. Nothing like saying yes and then getting your contract and an extra 799.50 added on for "dealer prep" or whatever.

A few years ago I bought a minivan and that tactic was used. They said they would then split it. I gave them my cel phone # and said call only if you can agree to delete it altogether otherwise I'm continueing my search. They called later that day.
    Good luck!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    They could be program/loaner cars, too.

They should be worth at least 10% less than a new one is worth. Any smaller discount and you're better off buying new.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    I purchased a new '08 2.5i auto in Seattle for $21,750 (no options other than an auto-dimming mirror) in October. When I was finally able to sell it, I managed to get $21,300 for it in Alaska, which was $1,000 less than I expected going in. While that was my fault for not better forecasting where the economy was headed, the total cost of ownership was still no more expensive than the 1-way airline tickets for my family back to Alaska would have been. My car had about 7500 miles at the time of sale, was absolutely immaculate, fully winterized for Fairbanks, came with all records (including a mileage log), and I had it in to a dealer several times to work out interior rattle problems so the new owner would not have to deal with them.

All told, the new owner received a screaming deal and I thoroughly enjoyed owning it, even if it was for a short while.

Tough to say why these others are for sale, but there are many possible reasons. If they have a clean CarFax and are still under warranty (less than 36,000 miles), then they should be decent bets barring obvious abuse.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    A guy I work with just bought a program/loaner 2.5i this weekend from Carter, the biggest dealer here in Seattle. When he went to see what they had for stock, he was surprised to find they had 18 loaners for sale. They told him they would give him the best deal on the oldest one in inventory; to hear him tell it, the oldest one (06 w/15K) happened to be in the best condition. Claims he paid way under book, etc. Anyhow, he's happy...it replaces a Loyale wagon he bought in '93!

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

Sounds like a deal.

I came close to a lightly used 06 Tribeca, and it was probably a program car.

We ended up getting a new minivan for the sheer space it offered.
  • yixia75yixia75 Member Posts: 3
    MSRP: 28834
    Invoice: 26853 (including the destination fee)
    Rebate: 1000 +0% APR

Tax: 9.2% in Washington state

We got the 24888(total vehicle price) + tax + 50 (doc)+200(licence)= 27520

Not sure if it is a good deal or not.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    $1000 under invoice? Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

9.2% tax? Ouch. :cry:
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • yixia75yixia75 Member Posts: 3
    That's Washington State. :cry::cry::cry:
    We should be able to get the tax back for 300 dollars based on our tax rate if they still have the sales tax exemptions.

No state tax though.
  • anton58anton58 Member Posts: 1
    after a lot of research I discovered 2 dealers here in Co who had 10 lo mileage (16-22k) 06 outback wagon for sale..after a lot of back and forth I managed to buy one with 19k miles for $400 below the edmunds listed price for a private party sale...of course I used one dealer against the other in terms of pricing.. suggest now maybe the time to buy from the leased return fleet..from a big dealer..
    other thoughts?
    Sounds like you did well. Program cars are usually sold for dealer prices, and you beat private party. Congrats.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    When researching at Lithia Subaru, OR, the '08 Outbacks were getting hefty discounts thanks to Subaru's program and other factors. One '08 XT Limited was going for around $2000 below MSRP (there were relatively few of those in the area).

By comparison, the limited supply '09 Foresters, while sold under sticker, didn't hit Invoice.

I ended up with Forester (liked its handling and responsiveness compared to posher but somewhat sluggish Outback ).
    Anyone heard about a Guaranteed Trade-in Program for the Forester? I was hoping one would appear for April.
  • brb729brb729 Member Posts: 3
    Went to NH this weekend and bought a blue 2008 2.5i 8DC for $20,300 out the door. Feels like a pretty great deal especially since this is replacing a 2007 2.5i 8DC that I recently totaled and that cost me $21,181, thought rebates are $1,500 now as opposed to $750 then.
    Pretty amazing price. Congrats. :shades:
  • mlschell293mlschell293 Member Posts: 1
    Is anyone getting below invoice for a 08 Outback 2.5i? Reason I ask is that through my company we are offered a program where we can buy a subie at invoice prices for the car+options, and can also take advantage of the rebates/financing options. Thanks for the help. Going to look heavily this weekend.
  • brb729brb729 Member Posts: 3
    I got mine below invoice at ed reilly in concord,nh. Invoice was $22,985. I got it for $20,300 out the door + 0 percent financing. (that obviously included the $1,500 rebate) which brings it up to $21,800 still $1,000 below invoice. I highly recommend emailing all dealers within the radius you are willing to travel first using a fitzmall price as a reference. I had 4 dealers within 100 miles offer me below invoice prices.

Hope this helps
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Don't forget the Invoice and MSRP for cars sold in New England are different than the rest of the country IIRC.

-mike
  • julecatjulecat Member Posts: 2
    I just traded my 2002 outback LL Bean for a 2008 outback 2.5i. I am not happy with the 2.5i because I was so use to the larger engine, leather seats, moon roof, etc. in my 2002. My question is when would be the best time to trade up to the LL Bean edition without losing money? I would love to do it right away but am afraid it would be costly. Can someone tell me the optimal time to do this. Thanks.
    There is no more LL Bean however, they do sell an H6 version w/ all the same options. As far as upgrading financially it would be after 3 years IIRC that you get the best trade-in value compared to how much you owe. At that time there will be the 2010 or 2011 Outbacks out which will be larger with a 3.6L engine available.

-mike
    Wait for a GTP letter, i.e. Subaru's guaranteed trade-in program.

I heard they may soon offer that for the 2009 Forester. Last year they had it for the 2008 Impreza when it came out.

Generally Subaru offers more than you would otherwise get from a wholesale trade.

You're still going to take a hit - you got a new car and are trading in a used car, but it won't be as bad with GTP.
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    I just traded my 2002 outback LL Bean for a 2008 outback 2.5i. I am not happy with the 2.5i because I was so use to the larger engine, leather seats, moon roof, etc. in my 2002.

Is anyone going to ask it? ;)

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

Let's not go there. :D

Oil is close to $125 a barrel, so the trade-off is worth it.
  • tazman8tazman8 Member Posts: 1
    Any opinions on 100K mile warranty - i'm looking at buying an Outback, and wondering what best price i should pay extra for warranty, and if y'all think its useful, thanks
    Even though I work on Subies, I still get the extended Subaru Gold warranty. Well worth the money, considering how expensive repair costs are these days.

-mike
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    I wouldn't pay more than 2/3 the "list " price. you may be able to even do better than that.
    I agree, mechanics' labor runs $95 per hour and higher around me.

You also get roadside assistance for the duration of the warranty. We liked that.
  • jtn1jtn1 Member Posts: 1
    I got the offer of $20,700 for the 2.5i Auto w/out any additional options. I am still a month away from buying but don't know if prices will drop even further as the 2009 are arriving towards the end of June?
  • craiglcraigl Member Posts: 12
    The ride:

An '08 2.5i Limited Outback with VDC and popular equipment group A (auto dimming mirror, compass, and security system shock sensor, whatever that is)

The price:

MSRP: 28,644
    Invoice: 25,738 (or actually 26,738 - 1000 rebate)
    Paid: 25,400 and dealer threw in window tinting. It also came with 2 year/24k scheduled maintenance package, but I think Subaru is including that will all new vehicles, at least in my region.

The skinny:

My price was decent, not great, but I concentrated more on the trade--a gas eating premium fuel burning low demand SUV--and a bottom line goal of $18,500 before TTL. (I'd gotten trade in quotes from Carmax and two other dealers before going in, so I knew it'd be a struggle to get what I wanted for the SUV.)

I did better on the trade than I expected--I wasted a couple of hours at another Subie dealer the day before who quoted 1600 less for the trade and steadfastly refused to budge. But I did worse on the price of the new car than I wanted. Still, I hit my target, so I reckon it's all good.
  • coloradokatecoloradokate Member Posts: 8
    We are looking at used '05-'07 2.5i Outbacks. I was wondering, are we better off getting an older one (with expired warranty) or a later model (with active warranty) if the later years were registered as rental cars on Carfax? As a general rule, should we avoid cars that were rentals?
    Thanks in advance,
    Coloradokate
    I'm not positive but I think any car used as a rental (or any other commercial duties) may void the warranty anyway, so I'd look at non-rentals.
  • kalisimonekalisimone Member Posts: 3
    What dealership was that at, yixia75? I currently have an offer for $200 ABOVE invoice for a 2008 2.5i Outback limited. Now I'm thinking that's not such a great deal...What is reasonable?
  • kalisimonekalisimone Member Posts: 3
    craigl - Where are you located??
  • kenrosenkenrosen Member Posts: 5
    I'm looking for an 08 2.5 XT ltd with Nav, mats, dimming mirror, homelink and armrest ext. MSRP is $35,318 the dealer wants $31,065. The last round of talks they said they would throw in the subwoofer/amp. Is this a good deal or just fair.
    thanks
    Ken
    That's more than $4 grand off MSRP, plus the freebies. Definitely fair to good.
  • saldonsaldon Member Posts: 1
    I just moved back here from CA, where i had a wonderful Subaru tech and I tried to establish a relationship w/Wayne Sub so I could get my car serviced there regularly and I couln't get a return call either. Took e calls (I needed a part right away). I wasn't very impressed with them either.
    Anyone have a good Subaru tech (dealer or no) in Morris or Passaic county?
    thx
    I know of a good place to get service, but I can't post it here :)

-mike
    Your house? :D

LOL
    Hmm if you ask my wife it IS my house, the amount of time I used to spend there :)

-mike
  • gheophriegheophrie Member Posts: 1
    I have this same question: how do you determine what the "list price" is for the 7-year extended warranty? I haven't been able to find anything, through Subaru or Edmunds.

I'm looking at $1325 for mine. I've put a deposit down on the car (it had to be flat-bedded in from another city). I haven't finalized the sal yet, so I think I can still walk away from the warranty purchase if it's too much and still get the car.
  • mumuthusmumuthus Member Posts: 3
    Hi - What would be a right range to look for a 2008 Subaru Outback 3.0 LL Bean Edition ? I
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    lots of dealers will have the list price on their websites where they are touting the Added Security
  • steveo2steveo2 Member Posts: 11
    Subaru is offering $1500 cash plus 0% apr on 08 Outbacks. Anyone know the length of loan terms that are being offered. (36,48,60?) I can't find that info. anywhere on their website.
    A bigger concern would be a dwindling selection. I would start shopping now. They'll probably renew the incentives, but they will run out of your favorite color/trim combo sooner.
  • johnscmorljohnscmorl Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to buy a 2008 XT in the Denver market soon. I've been quoted 30,800 with the current rebate included (with: autostart, woofer, but no nav). Is this a good offer? What is the going rate?

js