Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Outback Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• mikgarsmikgars Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for your input cptplt and fendertweed. To my way of thinking there has to be incentives on the '08's, they are just not published by subaru, otherwise the '08's will never and I mean never sell. Why would anyone buy an '08 when the '09's are on the lot (and now the '10's) even if there were no incentives on the '09's. With no incentives the difference in price would be negligible there is only so much a dealer can reduce his price. Within several hours drive I have found 7 '08's 4-'08 2.5i's the equivalent of the '09 SE only without the Harmon Kardon stereo and VDC, 1-2.5i limited w/ VDC and 2 XT limited.
    I will be contacting the dealers Fri. to hear what they have to say I will keep you updated.
  • fendertweedfendertweed Member Posts: 98
    what you say makes some sense, I'm surprised there are that many '08s left on the new car lot anywhere.
  • mikgarsmikgars Member Posts: 7
    Edwards Subaru in Council Bluffs IA has a 2008 Outback 2.5i Limited w/VDC MSRP on link through Subaru website is 28771 however they have tacked on an additional $999 and advertised MSRP, in their email to me, at 29770. Their super-duper low price was approximately 5500 off their 29770 price. So in reality about 4500 off MSRP. They did not provide any further info and I did not pursue the matter as 4500 off MSRP is kinda lame. Better deals on '09's are readily available. The other dealership never responded to my emails, and again, I did not pursue the matter.

I have put off my purchase once again due to my '07 being in the shop, this time to get the fuel pump replaced a second time. Once I trade this in do yourselves a favor and do not purchase a copper red CX-7 GT with the tech package it may have been mine and believe me you will want nothing to do with it.
  • doidoadieseldoidoadiesel Member Posts: 59
    Salesman at John Howard Subaru in Morgantown WV said if we are doing cash for clunkers we are going on STICKER price ONLY!!!! Sticker Price was $24,434 for a 2009 2.5 i 4 manual transmission, which was about $5,000 more than the TMV from Edmunds of $19,324 - So Cash for Clunkers at John Howard will net you Negative $500 dollars on the deal if you get $4500 for your clunker!!!! Hmmm It was easy to pass on this deal as we were basically about $10,000 apart from 'Hello'. It will be curious to see if other dealers take the same tactic and jack up the retail value to screw the customer out of any incentive to buy.
    I'll let you know... I'm picking up my '09 OB Ltd. Monday morning with a "CARS" credit as the "trade-in". We worked out the net price of the OB first ($25.7 OTD, about $5050 below MSRP+taxes etc.), then discussed either trading it in or doing the CARS program, which would give me similar/slightly more than dealer trade (same as CarMax would give me for the car)... dealer knows it's a CARS deal and all I had to do was put down a deposit to hold the car 'til the program details were in place. If they bump the price up on me the deal is off but I don't expect them to do that.

Besides, I can always take my car to the Honda dealer and get $5k for it ($4,500 + 500 they're adding) rather than $3,500 if I buy a Fit, LOL.

Jon
  • doidoadieseldoidoadiesel Member Posts: 59
    He would have given me the rebate - but in essence given me 0 dollars for my car as a clunker. But since they already have a very high sticker price ($5,000) above TMV price - they are under no legal requirements to sell you the car any cheaper under cash for clunkers. No deals or haggling on price - no comparisons with TMV or Fitzmall allowed, no buying at invoice plus. It was sticker price - take it or leave it. I could have gotten just as good a deal without cash for clunkers from this deal so I left it. This dealership just recently had their Chrysler dealership pulled from them, and they blame the govt. I had to hear a littany of reasons why the government was wrong to place all the burden on the dealers in C4C. They weren't punishing the government though - they were punishing me. So I just have to move on to find a dealer who thinks the burden is worth the benefit. Not John Howard.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    They won't be selling many cars. Just go elsewhere. Dealers are indy so I'm sure another Subaru dealer will offer better terms.
    we closed the deal Monday, at a price actually lower by about $100 or so than quoted ($25.7 OTD, about $5050 below MSRP+taxes etc.) ... and they took my '01 Audi as a trade not a CARS vehicle ... same net for me either way.

Jon
  • jeff47jeff47 Member Posts: 5
    Received dealer quote for the Outback 2010 3.6 R Limited with additional options of roof mounted bike rack, homelink and bluetooth for a total of 34,000(essentially the MSRP without those options)

Does that seem like a good deal?
  • 10years10years Member Posts: 48
    Yesterday I tagged along with my son as he bought a PZEV Charcoal Grey 2010 Outback Premium CVT with moon roof, exactly what he wanted from his previous research. He parlayed $4500 C4C, VIP, and Subaru 4.9%... “sweeeet”. Lithia Subaru in Reno was really no-hassle with heads going up and down almost always on both sides of the deal equation.

In addition to a couple of Outbacks, we were able to test drive Automatic and Manual versions of the Forester. All test drives had three good sized dudes, A/C was on, and pulling an uphill freeway grade just north of town. It seemed the Outback CVT was just a hair better pulling that grade and was quieter doing it. No question parking lot maneuverability and turning ability of the Forester was better. But in our case the EPA 24 mpg of the Outback over the 22 mpg Foresters was the deal breaker because we needed 23+ mpg to get the full $4500 C4C.

The C4C mania at the dealer lot was something to behold. Customers were all over the place with all sales people fully engaged, scurrying around at a high speed pace. I believe some customers were briefly waiting for assistance. When we left the dealership about 10 PM, a couple of hours past posted closing time, customers were still waiting around for their deals to close too. Seems to me that most of those customers were like us, people who had been practicing “cheaper to keep her” mentality…. until now. I had been to that same dealer a few weeks earlier for service work on my 100K Forester and noticed the showroom and lot was dead on a late Friday afternoon.

Have Fun,
    Ted
    I don't know how much those options cost .... my dealer quoted $700 over invoice for a '10 OB, so you can compare your price to that & see where you came out.

Invoice is 29,719 per kbb incl. destination fee; MSRP = 31,690 ... so take it from there & let us know where you ended up w/ the options, etc., relative to invoice or MSRP.
  • alans3alans3 Member Posts: 3
    I've seen on websites that the Subaru Factory Holdback is 2% of the MSRP.

Is the Factory to Dealer Incentive the same thing as Factory Holdback?

If it is different, where can I go to find the Factory to Dealer Incentive for a Subaru Outback?

Thanks for any replies.

Alan
    Tell your son congrats.

In a bizarre way I think my old Miata would have qualified if I had kept it. I would probably have to buy a hybrid to get 4mpg better than its 26/30 EPA mpg, or maybe a Honda Fit, but $4500 is more than the $3000 or so it was worth.

You wonder, though, how many still-good cars are being crushed.
  • 10years10years Member Posts: 48
    Juice, I passed along the kudos and link to him. Thanks.

In this county all vehicles must be smog certified annually. So by definition they were all still running well enough. It’s my understanding the dealer must immobilize (seize) the engine before the junk yard man and his dog come get’em. I think I read the junker man could then pick and pull any sellable parts before the vehicle is crushed or shredded. From what I saw, yes I walked over there to look during long spells of wait time, the pickins from clunker alley looked pretty lean. As you’d expect they are were all well past their prime and showed it. My son’s 94 Mazda B3000 4x4 pickup with 175K miles , manual hubs, crank windows, nearly balled tires, low horsepower, and slightly drifty suspension was somewhat typical I’d say. I think he wanted the Outback too because of its small pickup sized bay. He was going to buy anyway this year, being a VIP member, but wanted to see the new Outback first. But when C4C was initially announced a few months ago… well there was no doubt just had to hope the o’l gal help up a little longer or wasn’t wrecked. Initially 09’s were an option but the dealer only had two, the bare base model and a loaded H-6.

During the deal we had to make a run out to my son’s house to get his Title and year’s worth of Insurance and Registration proof. The sales guy was going to drive us. I asked if we could use a turbo. His eyes and grin lit-up. He pulled up an 05 XT with the 5-speed manual, only 36 K on the odometer showing $17,995 on the windshield. This cherry was loaded, big moonroof, premium stereo, and leather interior. The sales guy drove it to the house demonstrating the turbo boost. My son drove it back, both guys talked excitedly and couldn’t wipe their grins off. Me, I really enjoyed the experience from the somewhat cramped back seat.

Have Fun.
    Ted
  • goede921goede921 Member Posts: 5
    Jon--that sounds like a good deal--can you share the dealership name and if any options on your limited--thanks!
  • rdyrdy Member Posts: 36
    Is the Factory to Dealer Incentive the same thing as Factory Holdback?

No. Factory to Dealer is an extra incentive given to support slow moving models. Typically the dealer will resist sharing it with buyer and will often deny its existence.
    Letting a dealer know that you know, will support your case to pay less when they tell you they are 'losing money' Dealers don't lose money and they don't tell the truth.
    they don't tell the truth.

That's not fair...not all dealers are like that, many aren't.

My salesman at fitzmall.com is open about it - in fact he told me they prefer factory-to-dealer because then the customer doesn't have to pay sales tax here in MD on that amount, like they do on a rebate.

So basically if you get a $1000 rebate, you will pay $60 more than you would if there was a $1000 dealer incentive. With a big rebate, that can add up. I got a $2500 rebate on my Miata and paid the state of MD $150 on the rebate itself, which is absurd.

They are open and honest about it, and simply want what is best for the consumer. If they can offer a lower price, they will do more business, so it works out for everyone.
    sure, two caveats, though --

first, I'm relying on my memory because I was interested in the '09, not the '10 (I just don't like the '10 for many reasons, the cons far outweigh the pros for my subjective taste), and second, the conversation was 4 wks or so ago, so now that more '10s are there & the clunker program is going great guns, I don't know what the current pricing will be ... but I got mine from Stohlman in Tysons Corner (Vienna), VA ... mine's an '09 Ltd. so not sure if the options list will help but IIRC it was mats; homelink/compass mirror; side & seatback nets (I may be forgetting something but I don't think so).

It was a very painless transaction - we also bought my wife's previous car (a CPO'd '98 VW Passat) there in '00.
  • joonthedukejoontheduke Member Posts: 7
    I got a quote from a dealer for the captioned vehicle along with the following options:

Puddle lights, Rear Bumper cover, Splash guards, All weather floor mats, Media hub, Auto dimming mirror with Compas and Homelink.

The quote was $30,300. How do you guys think? In my opinion, it's just a few hundreds dollar off from the MSRP...Any opinion??? Thx.
    I'd still be marking prices relative to invoice, not MSRP ... a few hundred off MSRP doesn't sound particularly inviting to me but that's just my $0.02.
  • surrfurtomsurrfurtom Member Posts: 122
    It is most amazing and actually incomprehensible how the public en mass has decided that now and only 4 months after the precipice of the Great Depression 2 has become the time time to buy a new car. Obviously the downside to more debt is being overlooked by the "I want it now" gene that so many Americans are born with.

I actually wanted to buy a new Subaru but I refuse to buy in a seller's market, and when the government is handing out 3500-4500 rebates as my competition, now is not the time. Once this rebate ends it may change things. I don't want the economy to tank but I don't want to be in a bargaining position where I compete with myself.
    Too high, let demand cool a bit.

As mentioned about it is a seller's market, first one in a very long time. Inventories are the lowest they've been since the early 90s.

We haven't seen near MSRP pricing.....ever? Not since 1998, at least.

I would wait, your timing is bad. Buy a leftover 09, though, those are deals now. Someone paid $21k for a Legacy Limited, $10 grand higher for an Outback seems like much less of a deal, even if it is the new model.
  • seabrook7039seabrook7039 Member Posts: 44
    I agree now is not the time unless you can participate the CARS program and that it makes sense to do so as well with regards to your personal finances and the trade-in value of the clunker. Traditionally the fourth quarter offer better discounts. IMO, the sweet spot might be late November into late December. Typically the end-of-the-month the dealers are preasured to meet monthly quotas and CARS program will be over. But the 2009 Fed sales tax deduction in remains in force until Dec 31st. so depending on your state's new car sales tax rate you'll get a small tailwind there but not one to tilt the playing field against you.
  • alans3alans3 Member Posts: 3
    I checked prices through the Sam's Club website. A Sam's e-mail said that their members usually get a deal for 3% over invoice minus any rebates (at least for the Outback Subaru). Apparently, not many dealers are participating In Tennessee, they sent my e-mail to a dealer several hours away. I didn't want to drive that far & the dealer didn't have the color we wanted.

Alan
  • 204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    No doubt Uncle Obama's cash incentive is having an impact & this is not a good time to find a deal! :(

A dealer showed us some of the cars they had taken in. Some were pure junk, but others were obviously loved, well cared for cars that probably did not belch blue smoke & were only guilty of getting less than 18 mpg & having a resale value of less than a 3K. As I looked at some of them, it seemed like a real shame that some of these cars were going to the masher. They were still functional, reasonably servicable vehicles that someone not blessed enough to be able to afford to reliable transportation could have really used. :sick:

We have been waiting about a month to test drive a OB limited. Not many have been showing up at dealers in NW & when they do, they go fast -- & that was before CARS program. This last Sat we went to two different Subbie dealers after checking inventory on their website. At both, the cars are flying off the lots thanks to CARS. Both dealers had their inventory almost completely depleted by the time we arrived mid afternoon. OBs in shortest supply with Limiteds going 1st. Only OB Ltd H4 we saw that was not spoken for had every option & stickered over $32K. , Foresters not far behind, still a fair number of Imprezzas and Legacys. Dealer predicts a 6-8 week backlog on OBs & Foresters. If you are not a member of a VIP group, you are likely to pay sticker or more here in NW WA unless you order & are willing to wait. Thankfully we qualify for VIP deal, but will be waiting till Oct - Nov anyway. Time to earn a few more Subbie Bucks.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    Much agreed, unless you are in a market where the dealers do not negotiate much on prices at any other time and cannot (for whatever reason) go elsewhere.

Unfortunately, for those who have an eligible trade-in with regard to the CARS program, buyers are less price-sensitive than they might otherwise be. They see that "$4500 rebate" and get stars in their eyes. *sigh*
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • tempusfugittempusfugit Member Posts: 2
    We bought our 2009 Outback Special Edition with iPod connection for $21,750 from Subaru Puente Hills in Industry Hills, California. This includes the $2000 dealer incentive from Subaru. We bought on July 24, 2009.

The next day we went on a trip from Southern California to Lake Tahoe. Only flaws were the driver's side weather stripping was installed poorly, cold start is rough, and the iPod controls on the dash are not iPod intuitive.

Combined MPG averaged 26 Highway + City and the air conditioning on. The dealer said they'll replace the weather stripping. Very nice dealer.
  • tempusfugittempusfugit Member Posts: 2
    We bought our 2009 Outback Special Edition with iPod connection for $21,750 from Subaru Puente Hills in Industry Hills, California. This includes the $2000 dealer incentive from Subaru. We bought on July 24, 2009.

The next day we went on a trip from Southern California to Lake Tahoe. Only flaws were the driver's side weather stripping was installed poorly, cold start is rough, and the iPod controls on the dash are not iPod intuitive.

Combined MPG averaged 26 Highway + City and the air conditioning on. The dealer said they'll replace the weather stripping. Very nice dealer.

Thanks to all who have posted! Helped with the negotiations.
  • 1hhead1hhead Member Posts: 18
    Man, it's a jungle out there. Shopped hard the last 2 weeks to find a basic Outback 2.5i or lower trim level Premium version. Dealers at Gwinnett Place offerred Edmunds value for my 2008 low miles trade but wanted MSRP for a "stripper" 2.5i with manual. Give me a break!

Other dealers are out of everything but white or dark gray/black cars. Lots of comments about how hot the Outback is right now, they're talking about cancelling the Tribeca cause the Outback is selling so well, yadda, yadda. A month ago just before CARS hit, I was offered around $400 over invoice for a new Outback (plus options) but they complained about meeting Edmunds trade value because "the used car market was so bad". I know I'm giving the dealer a $3,000 total deal where they already had a buyer for the trade and they still want more. Time to put my new car lust back in the holster and wait until the $2 billion from CARS works it's way out of the system. Be careful out there folks.
    Well, at least those people bought a much more fuel efficient car than they would have otherwise.
  • maf1maf1 Member Posts: 17
    Just quoted 33965 for a 2010 3.6R Limited with bumper cover, dimmer, and splash. The only one with nav in new england. MSRP is 35093. How have others done for this rare car?
    I've seen others near MSRP so right now that's probably not a bad price.

Still, if you can wait for C4C to end...
  • 78877887 Member Posts: 6
    Anyone know what a good price for an 09 Outback SE Automatic goes for with about 7500 mi on it.What would be my OTD price be .Wondering in IL. Thanks
    I'd say about 15% less than a new one would cost.
  • redsoxfan8redsoxfan8 Member Posts: 2
    I bought my 2010 3.6R Limited Outback at Concordville Nissan/Subaru in Glen Mills, PA (about 25-miles outside of Philadelphia). The options included the convenience and protection package 1A, auto-mirror with compass and cargo net. The list was 32, 500. The invoice was appx. 30,200.00. We got it for 29,200.00
  • surrfurtomsurrfurtom Member Posts: 122
    Good informative post. Did you order or buy off inventory?
  • redsoxfan8redsoxfan8 Member Posts: 2
    This vehicle was in the dealership's inventory. They had two 3.6R Limited's on lot and a large number of the 4-cylinder versions.
  • radicalkatradicalkat Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I'm new to the Subaru world and am looking to buy a 2007 Subaru Outback 2.5i from a Subaru dealer. I live in Boston. What should I expect to pay for this car with "typical" miles on it?

Thanks,
    radicalkat
    How did you manage $1000 under invoice already?

The one I saw stickered at $34k, yikes. I thought that was high. $29.2k is definitely extremely reasonable. Congrats.
  • chipkchipk Member Posts: 7
    Offered invoice (via email) on a local car that I saw tonight, they have 5-6 Outbacks on the lot with two of them being the 3.6.

I received a reply within the hour stating that the best they could do was $500-600 over, not a bad deal considering the "newness" of the car and the fact that the CFC is still fresh in everyone's mind.

Waiting longer "might" get me closer to invoice as sales slow, but I'm selling my S2000 anyday and will reclaim my Ridgeline for the wife who will get the new OB.

Does $500 over seem pretty fair from those who are shopping or recently bought an OB? I figure they're still making their 2% (roughly $600) so they make $1,000-1,100 on the deal.

Chip
    What part of the country?
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    sry, Chicago.....
  • morin2morin2 Member Posts: 399
    You can use the Edmunds used car appraiser here:

http://www.edmunds.com/subaru/outback/2007/index.html

Consider buying a used car out of state. New England is very tough on cars. Rust from the heavy salt use combined with damaged suspensions from the worst roads in the US make for very difficult used car shopping. My wife and I are originally from Quincy and Taunton, respectively but have lived in MD for 29 years. The quality of the roads is night and day. I commute 108 miles a day and don't see a single pothole on roads that are resurfaced with fresh 3" of asphalt every other year. And our cars don't rust.

Check with your MVA in MA and see if you can fly out to buy a southern car and drive it back to MA legally.

And Go Red Sox.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    Use the 3 below to find their avg. price then compare how far off with dealer sale price
    edmunds.com (here)
    NADAGuide
    KBB.com
    After getting a quote from a local dealer for a grey 3.5 for $500-600 over invoice, we decided that a silver model was the color of choice.

Same dealer was able to find one in Milwaukee (we're just south of Chicago) but with a sunroof for and extra $1,000, it's simply too small to be of value IMHO.

Found a silver model with opt pckg 2A, mirror and matts and asked them (internet sales person at LaRiche Subaru in Findlay, OH) if they'd take invoice.

She said sure, great, when do you want to pick it up? As they are four hours east of me, they were kind enough to meet us half way in Indiana.

Very pleasant to deal with, no surprises, would highly recommend her!

I think the MSRP was $32,462, bought it for $30,215.

That day she had 250 miles put on her and the dash was showing 25mpg??

Need to top her off and see what she says over the next tank, and while I lost a few mpg with the 6 cylinder, she sure has some pep!
  • curvecurve Member Posts: 20
    Can you tell us what is a "convenience and protection package 1A"? I have not seen that on any sticker. Is that dealer specific?

Nobody in this forum seems to wonder why the dealer sold you the Limited under invoice. It makes no sense. There are no cash incentives on this model. Why do you think you got such a good deal?
    Thanks.
    Those grouping codes are typically not used on window stickers. If you go to Edmunds.com and look at the car build-out screen, it will list all accessories and equipment groups. According to the site, the "Convenience and Protection Group 1A" includes wheel arch moldings and splash guards and invoices at $416.

If you are curious, this link should take you to the Edmunds page I referenced.
    Sounds like your question about packages was already answered, so as far as the price goes....

"Nobody in this forum seems to wonder why the dealer sold you the Limited under invoice. It makes no sense. There are no cash incentives on this model. Why do you think you got such a good deal? "

Don't know for sure! I'd like to think because I'm such a nice guy, but my wife may have a different opinion on that.

My guess is that they want to do more volume with a lower margin and get their name out. They still made over $600 on the car plus the $150 doc fee, so not too terrible.

I asked about three dealers if they'd take invoice and most wanted $500-1,000 over, so it was an easy decision!

Really like the car too!
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    Below the invoice there are ...
    2% holdback
    Extra secret incentive from Subaru to dealer, like meeting the sales quota, stair-step style.
    Dealer Admin/doc fee, some charge as $599.
    Dealer Add-on options, extra profit : retail - cost.
  • rkratrkrat Member Posts: 25
    I am new to this forum and new to Subaru.

Just factory ordered a steel silver 2010 Outback 2.5i Limited PZEV with moonroof and Nav and lots of extras - puddle lights, remote engine starter, XM satellite radio, dimming rear-view mirror with compass and Homelink, shock sensor security upgrade, all-weather mats, all the cargo nets, splash guards, wheel locks, bumper cover, and wheel arch moldings. I didn't need PZEV where I live, but for only $300 more, and the fact that I will probably keep this vehicle for 10 years or more, I thought I would do my small part for the environment.

Edmunds dealer invoice price was $31,440. I got $500 below invoice. Is this a good deal? I already gave a $500 deposit. When I actually have to sign the sales contract after the vehicle arrives in 4-8 weeks, do I still have room to negotiate a bit more? I am trying to recoup some money since I missed out on clunkers and could have gotten $4,500 off the price of a new vehicle for my 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan with almost 139,000 miles.

The dealer gave me an independent appraisal of $1,000 for my van trade-in but did not list it on the buyer's order. I have gotten another appraisal of $1,200 at another dealership that buys used cars even if you don't buy from them. Of course, I am still driving the van and putting more miles on it and these appraisals are only good for 7 days, so I may not do as well in a month or two when I finally get my new car and have to get rid of the van.

Just want to make sure I am getting the best deal possible since I am new to this car negotiation thing.

Thanks in advance to anyone for your help and response.