Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Outback Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• seabrook7039seabrook7039 Member Posts: 44
    Judging from mesages posted last year it seems that fall incentives (a.k.a. rebates) appeared starting in November. They seemed to range from $1,000 to $1,500 which would give me an incentive to wait before buying, no? Anyone with more past info and/or future speculation?
  • eps105eps105 Member Posts: 216
    rkrat,

Umm, are you seriously asking if $500 UNDER invoice on the all-new 2010 Outback was a good deal? There are no factory or customer incentives on this new car, so $500 under invoice is basically seriously eating into their holdback, and they are probably making a couple hundred dollars profit on it at best.

I was able to order my new Outback at invoice using the Subaru VIP program and considered myself very privileged to get it at that price, so count your blessings.

If you don't mind, please expound on your location and what you did to get it that far under invoice! Is there fine print on the sales order for things like prep fees and advertising fees that make up that $500 under invoice? Sounds too good to be true.
  • rkratrkrat Member Posts: 25
    I'm in Northern VA. I originally was dealing with one Subaru dealer during clunkers who refused to give me any concrete numbers. So I went to another Subaru dealer that advertised via their internet sales that they would beat any price by $150. As soon as I walked in the dealership and asked if they could quote me numbers, they did. I think I knew right then I had found the right dealership.

We are USAA members (husband is retired AF), so while getting my insurance info on-line during clunkers month, I also sent out info to USAA certified dealers via the USAA website. One Subaru dealer in MD came back with $200 below invoice. The dealer in VA beat that with their additional $150.

Then while doing all my research on how to go about negotiating the best deal, Consumer Reports suggests starting at the invoice price minus the holdback. So I presented a number to the dealer and he said he would give me $500 below invoice. I had the chutzpah to ask if that was on top of the $350 quoted so far and he said absolutely not! So I knew from his voice over the phone I had reached my bargaining limit with him.

There was one more dealer in VA that advertised they would beat any deal by $200, but by then I was tired of playing the game and I had already asked the current dealer I was working with to order the car.

I guess I have read too many posts where people have gotten $1,000 below invoice when negotiating a car deal and I was kicking myself for procrastinating on my "extras" before deciding what I wanted to order during C4C. If I had made my decision earlier, the dealer probably could have ordered a car in time to get a VIN number for me to qualify for C4C and I could have gotten $4,500 for my van. However, I wonder if more dealers were quoting MSRP and then taking $3,500 - $4,500 off, rather than selling close to or at invoice and then taking the C4C money off.

The only other fees quoted are VA sales tax (3%) on invoice plus processing fee of $289, a dealer license fee of .17% on invoice only (I checked these fees on the VA DMV site and they are legit); and $62.75 in tags and registration. I have to find out from the dealer specifically which fees quoted on the VA DMV site this includes.

Unfortunately, VA has no legal restrictions for processing fees as does MD ($99), so the doc processing fee is all over the map at VA dealerships. The first Subaru dealer had a fee of $369 and I have seen some other non-Subaru dealerships as high as $399.

What I didn't know is if I could still negotiate during the sales contract signing for anything else (since I have a buyer's order in hand) such as throwing in the car mats or cargo nets since I specifically ordered them with the vehicle, or if the doc fee is negotiable.

I also didn't know if the dealer quotes me lower on my trade-in than they did a month ago how hard I should push that issue since the KBB and Black Book values I have are higher.
  • fendertweedfendertweed Member Posts: 98
    when I was shopping in late July I was offered $700 below invoice on a '10 OB without any negotiation ... from the same dealer in NoVa where I instead bought my '09 OB Ltd (which I much prefer to the '10)... maybe deals have tightened up but that was the pricing I was quoted when the '10s were just beginning to come into dealer stock (they had about 20-30 or so IIRC).
    rkrat,
    Of the MD dealers which offered you the best deal? Thanks.
  • 204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    Elliot: You say htat the VIP plan price is AT invoice. I had the impression that with the VIP plan the pre-negotiated price was 2% BELOW invoice. Can anyone clarify which is correct? Also, does the VIP appply factory options such sunroof, Autodiming mirror, puddle lights...?
    I will be contacting two dealers via internet this week to get prices on a 10 OB & will inform them up front that I have the VIP membership. One already told me he would sell us an OB at less than the VIP price so I want to be sure I have the proper understanding of what is included in VIP pricing structure. Thanks.
    seabrook7039 - It was Heritage Imports in Owings Mills. It was an internet quote of $200 below invoice via the USAA website.
    Fendertweed - Which dealer in NoVA offered you $700 below invoice on a 2010 Outback with no negotiation? Were you buying off the lot from their inventory? And how did you manage to get such a great offer? I am just curious to know if it is the same dealer I am working with. Thanks.
    Fendertweed - Just went back and read some of your old posts where you mentioned the dealer - Stohlman. That is who I am dealing with. They are much nicer than some of the other dealers I contacted in No VA.

Still would love to know how they offered you $700 below invoice on a 2010 Outback Ltd. Great deal offer.

Do you think I still have room to negotiate when I actually have to go in to sign the sales contract when my vehicle is delivered?

I have also seen people mention the VIP program to get additional money off the price of the car. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Thanks.
    Do dealers get the holdback for factory ordered cars or does it only apply for cars that are on their lots?
    > "Elliot: You say htat the VIP plan price is AT invoice. I had the impression that with the VIP plan the pre-negotiated price was 2% BELOW invoice. Can anyone clarify which is correct?"

The EXECUTIVE VIP Program is 2% below invoice. AFAIK, that's reserved for actual Subaru employees and other direct affiliates. I have no idea how to get that. The "regular" VIP program offered through many employers and via memberships through various sporting clubs is AT invoice.

The regular VIP program's terms are that everything ordered from the factory is at invoice.

I ordered an 3.6R Ltd (Azurite blue) with nav, moonroof, protection package 1A, puddle lights, interior LED lights, mirror with Homelink, trailer hitch, and several cargo nets -- all factory installed and at invoice price -- Invoice is $33,635 (MSRP $36,781). So I effectively got $3,100+ off of MSRP.

My dealer (Glanzmann Subaru in Philly suburbs) charges a $99 "dealer prep" fee with gugs me big time but they swear on their first born it is non-negotiable. Total charges including that dealer fee + tags, PA doc fees, tire tax, etc. total a reasonable $295 + 6% PA sales tax. Compared to some posts with $289 and higher just for dealer "fees", I can see how they can get away with charging under invoice and still pay the rent.

That said, I still feel envious that so many are easily getting deals under invoice with no negotiation, which quickly deflated my ego that I was getting such a good deal. Congrats to all who are pulling off those deals -- and I hope that those deals aren't padded with undervalued trade-ins. (I always make sure my deals are independent of the trade, and in fact I'm selling my old Forester privately using a courtesy pass-through at the dealer to save PA sales tax.)

Elliot
    Seabrook - From all my research, dealers get the holdback for every car they sell regardless if it is factory ordered or from their inventory on the lot. In fact, some info says to negotiate for the entire holdback on a factory order because the dealer doesn't have to expend any money to put the car out on the lot. The car comes in, the car goes out. (That's why I was wondering if I negotiated hard enough with a final offer of $500 below invoice after hearing about some of the other deals people got).

On the other hand, some info said Subaru holdback is 2% of total MSRP; other info said 3% of total MSRP. Consumer Reports gave an actual dollar amount of $849 for the particular model and options I ordered. That amount equates to 2.5% of MSRP.

Consumer Reports also said that a fair profit for the dealer is between 1% and 5% of the total MSRP. When I crunch my numbers, I compute that my dealer is making 1% of the MSRP with the below-invoice price he quoted me. So I think I got a good deal - and I am getting a new car with lots of goodies - something I never had before ! :)
    eps105 - May I call you Elliot? Thanks for this info about the VIP program.

Are the interior LED lights you ordered the illumination package? I was thinking about getting that but then I thought it might be a distraction for me while driving at night. Please let me know how they are when you get your vehicle.

Be thankful for the $99 doc fee. It galls me to be paying $289 in VA (and that is cheaper than some VA dealers), especially since neighboring MD is $99 by law. Not sure if I can negotiate that fee down some when I actually sign the sales contract. Some research info says you can and some says you can't. But then again, some research info says you can't touch holdback, other info says you should negotiate price with the holdback in the mix. I guess it is all a matter of how hard each side is willing to dig in their heels and not budge on their bottom line price.

I'm glad you mentioned about the trade-in. I will definitely try to sell mine to another VA dealer that advertises buying used vehicles even if you don't buy a car from them. They offered me $200 more for my van than the Subaru dealer I am buying from. When I am ready to actually sell, I will have my KBB price in hand and fight for the highest amount I can get. In fact, my Subaru dealer offered me $500 less for my van than the lower end of the KBB value, so that is definitely how they would make up the $500 below invoice they quoted me, as you stated in your post. Thanks for helping me out!
    Yes, I ordered the illumination package. I actually haven't seen it in real life, but as far as I know, it is a very soft glow no more distracting than the glow of the dashboard backlighting or the nav system.

Driving at night, I find that I have trouble grabbing my drink in the cup holder, so the illumination package goes beyond purely aesthetic to actually being functional, at least to me.

Elliot
    The picture of it looks neat on the Subaru web page under the accessories and options.

I wonder if it is too late to add to my factory order. (This is exactly the type of indecisiveness that led me to miss out on C4C! :( :confuse: )
  • ofionnachtaofionnachta Member Posts: 36
    Well, we are late to the OB bandwagon, having had a summer we didn't get around to looking for cars, and the only Caravan not eligible for C4C.

Does anyone know what is a *fair* price for used 09 2.5i Specials, autom tran, ranging from 6-13 k miles? Kelley BB has them listed abt that price; but I see from yuor June-July postings buyers were getting the 2.5is (not specials) new for 18-19k.

The ones I've found on the net in our area (Bucks Co PA & Trenton NJ) all appear after Carfax check to have been in rental fleets near airports.

Thanks for any help!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    They were such bargains back then that I'm not sure the price will be significantly lower now.

Still, if you can get one for 16-17k or so, that's a lot of car for the money.
  • mkmc1mkmc1 Member Posts: 7
    I'm in the Detroit area - Offered $31K (plus tax, title, plates) for the following. Expect to hear today.

Options:

Factory-ordered Cypress Green 2010 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A) with:
    Optional Equipment:

04 Power Moonroof

MSRP: $995

Invoice: $829

LP2 Protection Package 1A (arch moldings, splash guards, rear bumper

cover, all weather mats and wheel locks)

MSRP: $766

Invoice: $483

E0A Media Hub

MSRP: $349

Invoice: $227

K0D Auto-Dimming Mirror w/Compass and Homelink

MSRP: $271

Invoice: $176

Q0G Moonroof Air Deflector

MSRP: $111

Invoice: $72

M0C Rear Side Compartment Cargo Nets

MSRP: $65

Invoice: $42

M0B Rear Cargo Net

MSRP: $52

Invoice: $34

M0A Front Seatback Cargo Net

MSRP: $52

Invoice: $34

Other options to be included: Hood protector, Ski rack and Center armrest extension, cargo mat and std carpeted floor mats.
    I am seeing them listed at around 21-22 k, owned for abt 7-8 months, with 6.5-13 or 14k mi on them. Carfax showing no accidents, just being owned in towns that happen to house large airports. They are the Special edition, not stripped. Not that we want that, but it seems to be what they ordered for the rental fleets.

Does that seem reasonable to you folks, and if we should be bargaining, what should we be aiming for? Thanks again!
    Seems high to me. That's about what base Outbacks cost when new.

How much were those SE models? New, I mean.

A program car should be 10-20% less than new.
    Well, I've just done my homework & the KBB says 23.25 k if in excellent condition, for an 09 SE OB with 7k mi. on it.

Edmunds says the MSRP for new 09s this trim was $24,895, and Inv of 23,375 (not incl destin.).
    They also say others in my area were paying $23,331 for them new (dest not incl).

So if you say a car that I'm pretty sure was used as a rental (Carfax says "major rental company" and the town was Elmhurst, NY; that is where La Guardia International is, and about 5 of them are on the market in my area at different dealerships, recently bought through the Eastern Regional Auction), if the dealer who owns them now is asking abt 22, 22.5 k, how far off are they in their asking price?

Also there are two that look like they were loaners at their dealerships. Same story---pretty low mileage, owned only by same place that is selling them---what abt them?
  • fendertweedfendertweed Member Posts: 98
    Hi, just now getting back to this and seeing your message ... that was the price I was offered when I was shopping in mid July, choosing between an '09 and '10 OB ... I did not like the '10 at all so it was never under serious consideration (they did not know that)... they offered the $700 below invoice on the '10 but I got the '09 I prefer at nearly $3k below invoice so it was an easy choice.
    Remember KBB is high, though. It's a good seller's tool, but not usually an accurate appraisal.
  • mkmc1mkmc1 Member Posts: 7
    Options/accessories:

Moonroof, Protection pkg LP2 (AW mats, arch moldings, splash guards, bumper cover and wheel locks), int illum pkg, media hub, autodim mirror w/compass and h'link, moonroof air deflector, all cargo nets, hood protector and ski rack.

The only options I did not order: Nav, alarm upgrade, streaming audio, puddle and sill plate lights,

MSRP: 34894, TMV: 34459. I paid invoice, which was $32040 (all numbers include dest).

VERY happy with the deal and the dealership: Hodges Subaru in Ferndale, Michigan. Very low key, easy experience. This is a small, neighborhood, Subaru-only shop that has been around for many years.

Feedback?
    $2400 below TMV sounds pretty darn good to me.
  • guyb1guyb1 Member Posts: 5
    paid $260 over invoice. Options included 08 (power moon roof,nav, rear camer etc), 2A and 3B. Dealer in Loveland Colorado. Low key dealership, no hassles, very pleasant experience. Factory ordered as regional supply is exceptionally low. Good price for my trade and bought an extended warranty at good terms also.
  • rickprickp Member Posts: 5
    about what i am seeing in Westchester and Connecticut. 90% of availability is rentals. i guess one can find a good rental - but clearly the better time to have purchased was 6 months ago...my guess is that you could probably get them for 21.5 or so.

have not seen or heard of any great deals in westchester and CT.
  • morin2morin2 Member Posts: 399
    Yes, 6 months ago was exactly when I bought my 09 Outback SE at 21K at Fitzmall with a few minor options like mats, nets and armrest extension. I wanted to buy when supply was high, rebates were good, financing thru subaru was 2.9%, before the clunker bill, and before the new model price jump.

I suspect you are focusing on the asking prices of these used cars - when the final actual purchase price will be a function of your negotiation skills. Asking prices are pure fantasy.
  • liutliut Member Posts: 2
    Hi, friends,

I'm looking for some advices. A internet agent give me a quote below invoice price (before tax and documents fee etc), and all other dealer could not beat it so far. I don't know if the price is still negotiable or not after I visit them. And if the price is fair enough base on your buying experience??? For the real case, it's a 10' outback 2.5i w/ CVT, I got a $22.3k quotation.Should I keep contact with the agent with a counter offer? Compared with other dealer, I don't want to scare every availiable dealer away.

Any suggestion will be very useful. Reply to my email nataraj1993@gmail.com is also very welcomed.

Thanks for your help.
    Any deal at or below invoice on a 2010 Outback that isn't padded with excessive doc/prep/advertising fees (I.E. more than about $100 over state-mandated fees) or low-ball trade-in offer is a fanstastic deal.

There are no customer or dealer incentives whatsoever on the 10 Outback, so dealers are only making about $600 when selling at invoice.

You are digging into their holdback if you try to haggle more at the dealership. At best, you'll get a couple more bucks out of them or maybe a cargo net thrown in; at worst, you'll just annoy them.
    Actually the dealers can make more than the holdback when selling at the invoice price. They achieve this by meeting specific monthly quota targets. That's why it's best to negotiate near the end of the month for the best price. The only catch for the lowest possible price however is it has to be for a car already on their lot, not one in transit or factory ordered.
  • liutliut Member Posts: 2
    I know there is only limited profit they could earn on this case. BUT, that doesn't mean they don't earn money at all. With reaching the monthly saleing goal, they will won more than my saving. Am I right? I talked with the internet manager and her manager, they didn't move a little, and came some words like "did you hit your head". Well, let it be. I can keep my money, and they can keep their outback. Maybe this is a good solution.

Thanks for your reply.
    You say that with the assumption that they're losing their money by it sitting on the lot. This is not the case for the Outback -- they're turning around and selling it to someone else within a few days for a lot more money. Subaru has reported that their supply chain is lean with only a 16 day inventory of Outback (!!!) -- norm is around 80 days.

Bottom line is that currently anyone getting an Outback at or even below invoice is getting a great deal and I don't blame the dealers for holding firm to their lowest offer. In many areas, people are happily paying MSRP or perhaps $500 off. (I talked to a few people at my own dealership that were buying at MSRP. I kept my mouth shut that I got it for invoice under the VIP Program -- I felt privileged.)
  • rw11rw11 Member Posts: 3
    Hi All...

I just wanted to know if $30,300+tax+fees is a good price for 2.5 limited with nav, LN4 Popular Equipment Group 2A and homelink mirror.. I am NJ. Thanks.
    I just wanted to know if $30,300+tax+fees is a good price for 2.5 limited with nav, LN4 Popular Equipment Group 2A and homelink mirror.. I am NJ. Thanks.

It would be helpful if you could inform us fellow forum members what the MSRP is with the options you mentioned and, even better, look up on Edmunds what the invoice price is. I don't know how many people here are going to do that homework for you.

Generally speaking, depending on region, getting it at invoice is considered a very good deal right now, with some competitive/ high volume dealers going maybe $200 under invoice. However, many others are only able to negotiate $500 or $1000 off MSRP, since the car is so popular at the moment. There are no rebates or dealer incentives at this time.

You also need to find out what dealer fees are. Getting it for $200 under invoice but being charged, for example, a $150 advertising fee, $295 doc fee, and $99 prep fee really is putting money back in the dealer's bottom line.

Good luck.
  • rw11rw11 Member Posts: 3
    Thank you. I understand.

The MSRP is 32600. The dealer showed me invoice of 30288 for this car. The car is really hard to get....
    Norm probably is about 80 but they say the ideal from the manufacturers' point of view is about 60 days.

I think that prior to C4C it was just much, much higher.
  • wmutkelawwmutkelaw Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to get a 2010 Outback with the automatic tranny for about 25K, out the door. I do want the fog lights, but a lot of the interior options are not necessary. is there a good site to find out about all of the packages? Is $25K out the door realistic for a 2.5 Auto, with the Premium package?
  • chipkchipk Member Posts: 7
    How about here:

http://tinyurl.com/yb7n98l

Pick your engine, trans and trim level then click "Price with Options"

Good luck!
  • jpievansjpievans Member Posts: 4
    I have an offer of $22,316.00 (today only of course!) on a 2010 Outback 2.5i base model (automatic w/ CVT) but no additional options. The MSRP is $24,690.00 and the dealer invoice is $23,276.00. Not sure why they are selling to me way below invoice. I live in Texas (where Subaru is not very popular). Thought I would share my price. I am probably going to buy it tonight after work.
    I would get an out the door price, preferably in writing/email. They may not be including the destination charge (695) and some other add-ons. If you have time check carbuyingtips.com and fightingchance.com for some good info.
  • jpievansjpievans Member Posts: 4
    He did sent me an email and TTL adds $1650 which is about right.
  • ndeborahkndeborahk Member Posts: 18
    Hi. Wondering if anyone can tell me what a good price would be for gold warranty for a 2010 Outback Limited? Also, my husband says it is not worth buying, but I have had to sink over $8000 into my 2004 Toyota Sienna XLE limited and am kicking myself for not buying their extended warranty. Now, I am hoping to get a decent price for this clunker when I trade it in for a 2010 Outback.

Thanks for your thoughts.
    This isn't what you want to hear, but your husband is right. The extended warranty only kicks in once the basic warranty ends, so you will have time to buy one after comparison shopping, if you decide that the peace of mind is worth the money. Don't buy the extended warranty when you buy the car - despite the sales pressure in the F&I office to buy it (the high profit on the warranty may be more than the profit on the car). Subaru will be sending you brochures for the next few years about extended Subaru warranties. You only come out ahead if the cost of repairs exceeds the cost of the warranty. It rarely does. Your experience with the Sienna is the exception, and you may be buying the gold warranty on the rebound. The price value for the peace-of-mind factor can't be quantified as its an emotional issue. On average, you would be better off with the odds at Vegas than the odds that you will make out better with an extended warranty.

A better use of the money is to place the dollars you would have spent on the gold warranty in a CD for a term that ends when the basic warranty expires, then convert that CD into a dedicated auto repair account. Compare which strategy costs less after the gold warranty period ends.
  • stoopystoopy Member Posts: 105
    Sinking money into a car with an expired factory warranty is exactly why I have leased my last 4 Subarus. As soon as my 3 year 36,000 are up so is my lease and I get a new one. Anyone who has ONE bad experience like that should know never to get involved in a situation like that ever again. I would definitely look at leasing.

In addition to saving on repairs due to it always being under bumper to bumper warranty, you will also save on sales tax. I would've paid over $2,000 in sales tax alone on my 2009 Tribeca. Instead I pay 7% of my lease payment, about $25.00. Another reason I lease is I never have to worry about buying new tires or getting new brakes. Also, I never lease unless I can save at least $100 a month vs buying it. If I would've bought my Tribeca I would've paid around $470 on a 72 month loan. I am saving almost $110 a month X 36 months on the lease = $3,960. Do you think your Outback will be worth $4,000 more than you owe in 3, 4, 5, 6 years from now. Absolutely not. Especially when 99% of dealers are offering you WHOLESALE trade in price. Don't throw money away on an extended warranty and don't buy. It's cheaper to lease a new car every 3 years.

Having said that the lease deals on the Outback right now are not very good. You will have to hold off to get a good deal. They will be better in the next month or two. I had a lease quote on a 2009 Outback Special Edition this time last year for $270 with nothing down. A 2010 Outback Premium is going to be $315+ right now.
    Those are really good ideas. And fundamentally, I know what you are saying is right. But my experience with my Toyota has been so horrific. The warranty was $1100 and it came with a free rental car for every service. Because my past experiences with Hondas had been so good and because my husband urged me not to do it, I turned it down. I probably covered the $1100 in three years. I'm torn between my head and my stomach. If I were to get the extended warranty, wouldn't it be better to negotiate while I was negotiating the car price? I have an email offer for invoice and one just above and one that asked what it would take,so I am thinking I have a little bit of leverage. What would be a good price - whether at purchase time or during the warranty, do you think? I think I saw elsewhere in the forum that someone paid $1600, but not sure and can't seem to find the post.

Thanks so much for your input!
    Although I advised against it, here are the numbers for the "Subaru Added Security" that I have received in the mail several times for both my wife's 07 Forester and my 09 Outback. We're not adding it to either vehicle, but note that this is the only extended service contract backed by Subaru. It does not mention "Gold" anywhere - so beware of non-subaru warranties peddled by the dealer. They often go out of business and you are then stuck.

Oddly enough, the prices listed were the same for both of our vehicles:
    6 years/60K mi. $564
    6 years/80K mi. $840
    6 years/100K mi. $1282
    Thanks so very much!.
    $1500 for the Gold Plus 7yr 100,000 mile zero deductible is what I paid
    Thanks very much for the information.