Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Outback Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Congrats.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    Nice price ... I checked to order one like that is $27,872 (incl. destination)
  • heynow14heynow14 Member Posts: 1
    Just drove it off the lot:

Graphite/Black
    3.6R Premium
    pkg 3 - audio/bluetooth
    protection pkg

MSRP: 31,286
    Invoice: 29,142
    cash deal: Invoice - $500 = $28,642
    Congrats.

I don't know how dealers stay in business giving up their holdback like that. Great deal.

I hope you service your car there.
  • ben_dben_d Member Posts: 1
    Here is a little secret on how they make money. I have talked to my friend who works at Subaru (Midwest Region will not specify a dealership). He said most dealers should be happy if they make $450 on a new car, and this month they have some secret dealers incentives. Actually this is offered most of the time but bigger dealers see bigger incentives especially if they sell over certain amount of vehicles.
    I will give you a example: Subaru Outback Premium CVT. This is for Nov 2009 not sure what next month will bring.

2.5I Premium

Base MSRP $24,295
    CVT (+) $1,000
    Destination (+) $695
    Total (MSRP) $25,990

Dealers cost
    Invoice $22,911
    Destination (+) $695
    CVT (+) $950
    Total $24,556
    Holdback (-) $729
    Dealers Secret Incentives Nov 09 (-) $500
    Dealers Cost this Month $23,327

Dealers will take profit of $450
    They can sell you the car for $23,777

This should help some people that are in the process of buying a car. You all can use a lot of online help to determent a good deal.
  • britgeezerbritgeezer Member Posts: 95
    Has anyone got experience of purchasing out of State?

I'm in NJ and understand how to calculate the fees and taxes when I register a vehicle here, but I wondered how you find out the true costs when you purchase in PA, NY or CT.

I would assume you pay associated fees for a title and then need a Temp or Out of State sticker, to drive it back to NJ.

Clues or links anyone, I'm planning visit with DMV later this week to ask there.

BG
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    The out of state dealer can help you with all your questions. They sell across state lines all the time.
  • hmmurdockhmmurdock Member Posts: 5
    Recently came across a dealer here in CT who is offering 10% off MSRP not including destination to do a factory order Outback. Seems like a pretty decent deal if you can wait for the car. Any thoughts?
    Hmm, I just got an offer for 9% off MSRP (including destination) from a dealership in CT. Does your dealership have a name like a big SUV?
  • hmmurdockhmmurdock Member Posts: 5
    Wasn't them...advertised on Premier Subaru's website.
    So we can say its not a one off offer and things may be warming up for the end of the month. Good news.
  • supermsuperm Member Posts: 16
    Bought our Outback ten days ago from Rafferty Subaru in Newtown Square PA at invoice. Worked with Steve- all around a good experience. Most of the other dealers have little inventory and most had higher prices. One was slightly lower but I wasn't comfortable with them.

Really enjoy the Outback but I'm already looking for how to get the ride height to that of the Legacy, whether its springs, struts or both.
  • robertwarriorrobertwarrior Member Posts: 4
    Exactly..! Stoopy's e-mail instant/"10 quick quotes requests" idea never worked for me either...still waiting for their response..:-/ :)
    Had to find my self "reputable" dealers and contact directly their sales/"Internet Managers". Also a lot of them "internet managers" do not like to give numbers via phone or "e-mails"...:-/. Cause they like to play their games/lies at the dealer (easier for them to BS you). Only the one I contacted personally before i started this CarSpace posting (last week) was a little straight with me & did not ask me "to come down to their stupid dealer & waste my time and show, sign papers. To me all this basterds do not want to come down really much with their prices, so that the payments are low or at least reasonable for their customers( they even try their "price lies" with me it didn't matter that I have good credit..:-/). Even when you come down to their dealers the "actual e-mail" numbers change a lots of times.
    Sorry Sweetsoul i really do not want to ruin your party but TO ME..; If you really research online the same car with your options (they are not really expensive options) I still think you didn't get such a good deal. I'm sorry but i'm just been honest. Not bad deal but just Ok for me. I think they could have done better for you and even me cause i call them(Rafferty) & he tried to justified the 2.5 limited no options for $30,000..! I'm getting a little tired of this & right now considering just to re-lease another(we do like it and enjoy the long trips on it. It's very comfortable) pathfinder(2010) cause even though the price it's higher than the "outback" (~33,000) the lease payments(nissan credit offered same low payments we have now :)) are much lower than the smaller Outback. Oh and they offer to waive the last 3 lease payments on my present Pathfinder cause of their "loyal customer offer".
    Easy dude -- your're going to bust a blood vessel --no car purchase is worth that kind of rage. If you like the nissan you may be happy with another. Nice discounts on the 09's and 2010's. I personally like them a lot. If you don't put lots of miles on per year -- the mpg difference causes minimal damage. Lots of room -- nice ride. The subaru guys are basking in the glory of a great car line and increased sales. Once the dust settles things may improve some. Nissan wants you back -- subaru could care less. The decision is yours. :D
  • sweetsoulsweetsoul Member Posts: 35
    Woah robertwarrior! Sounds like you have reached your limit. Don't worry you didn't ruin my party ;) I got VIP pricing which locks you in at invoice. I was happy with that, not everyone will be. Maybe I could have saved a bit more, but it wasn't worth the stress to save even $500 - your stressed post is example in point :) .

It all comes down to these points for me. I was happy with the price and really impressed with the dealer (Rafferty Subaru) - they were a good fit for me and my family to do business with. I got to order the exact car I wanted, it came in ahead of schedule...and I have had my new Outback for a week now and I have to tell you I love it! No regrets. It's a really good car, the right size for us, great gas mileage (I calculated 27 MPG my very first week with 75% back country mountain/city roads, 25% highway). Also, I looked at a ton of other cars, and had narrowed it down to the Venza, Murano, or another Xterra (considered the Pathfinder, but was a little too big for us). I also talked seriously with the other car dealers. None of them would offer any of those cars to me at invoice. I loved my xterra too, but I travel a lot and was really looking for something a little more MPG friendly without sacrificing too much space.

I guess I feel lucky because all the stars aligned and I am very pleased - does that mean you or anyone else would be equally happy with my experience, nope. But me, I couldn't have asked for anything better - and now I can say that I LOVE my new Subaru :blush:
    Try a no-haggle dealership, like Fitzmall.com in MD and FL, or Van Bortel in NY. Avoid that hassle completely.

If you're not near any of those try a buying service like Costco's.

Don't think that the Nissan dealer isn't doing the same thing. Look out for surprise hidden fees after you agree on price.
  • desertwolfdesertwolf Member Posts: 5
    2010 2.5i Premium CVT with all weather package

MRSP: $27,495
    Paid : $26,620

One and only dealer in town. I bought all my cars through the Costco Auto program. This dealer doesn't involve with costco deal.

Going to pick it up this evening.
    Congrats. I was just recommending that service, too. :shades:
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    Brit,

I cannot answer tax-related questions, as my state has no sales tax, but I have purchased two vehicles out-of-state and did not require temp tags at all.

What I did was contact my dealer to negotiate price on the car I wanted. He ordered it and, after receiving the VIN, contacted me to finalize the purchase. Once all details were in order, he sent me the paperwork via FedEx overnight. I reviewed, signed, and returned (along with any Subaru Bucks I was using toward the purchase) by the same method; he included a return FedEx envelope for this purpose, so it did not cost me a thing.

Once the paperwork was received and processed, he then sent me the car's MCO (Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin, also sometimes called an MSO - Manf. Statement of Origin), along with the release of title paperwork for his state. I took this paperwork to my local Dept of Motor Vehicles, where I paid the registration & title fees, they issued me the vehicle license plates and title. If you are financing the vehicle, the DMV will mail the title directly to the lienholder. I should note that the first time I did this my lienholder was local, so I was able to take the MCO to them and they issued the plates to me directly. I am not sure if all institutions are able to do this or not, but that route allowed me the option to roll the title/reg fees into the loan (which I did not do).

I then took my plates with me to pick up the car. When I arrived at the dealership, I gave them the plates and they installed them on the car before handing me the keys. Done. :D

All told, I would say this process took about seven business days both times, and most of the time was transit.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Thanks. The closest dealer is 4 hours away in California. I can see why the local dealer doesn't get involved with the Costco program ~ being the one and only one dealer in town, they can sell for more.
    My dealer feels the same way. They would not budge off MSRP. I ended up buying 2,200 miles away and smiled all the way home. You managed the same deal I had requested of my dealer (~3% under MSRP), but mine scoffed at the notion. It took them another five weeks to sell that particular car.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Congrats desertwolf! I hope you love it as much as I love mine :P Enjoy!
  • 204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    I am considering partially financing my OB thru Subaru of America when it arrives next month. I have a few questions I hope some of you can answer.

1. Can you do the paperwork in advance of the time of delivery / purchase & get preapproved?

2.Are there any added fees or charges when financing thru SOA?

3. Are there any prepayment penalties when financing thru SOA?

4. Any other cautions regarding financing thru SOA?

Thanks!
    Hi 204meca. I partially financed my new Outback through Subaru. Subaru's financial institution is actually Chase.

1. We let our dealer know several days before pick up how much we wanted to finance, they got the approval, the rates, and the monthly payment amount. So we had everything a few days prior. They had the paperwork ready when we got there, all we had to do was sign.
    2. There were no added fees or charges
    3. There are no prepayment penalties
    4. Just make sure you check to see if there are special rates and that what the dealer presents aligns with that. You can actually go on and calculate your payments on subaru. The were accurate to the penny for us.

Good Luck!
  • ifontaineifontaine Member Posts: 24
    Like sweetsoul said, SOA financing was pretty easy.

I'll add my take to their comments

1. Can you do the paperwork in advance of the time of delivery / purchase & get preapproved? I didn't do this, so I defer to sweetsould's experience

2.Are there any added fees or charges when financing thru SOA? I did not have any associated fees on my loan agreement, although my dealer did try to inflate my payment by a few dollars. Make sure you know what all your numbers are before you go in. Price, trade credit, doc fees, tax, title, etc.

3. Are there any prepayment penalties when financing thru SOA? My contract (on the back in the boilerplate section) does say that there is a prepayment penalty of $150 if the loan is paid off in the first 12 months. For 99% of the peole financing their deals, that's not an issue though.

4. Any other cautions regarding financing thru SOA? I should be getting my payment info from Chase shortly. They are also my personal bank. I can attest to the fact that their banking system is pretty straightforward and easy to use online. Additionally, they are one of the few truly "solvent" banks around, unlike BOA, Citi, etc. I don't think you'd have any issues with them.

Hope that helps! Good luck!
  • morin2morin2 Member Posts: 399
    We partially financed (everything after the trade-ins and subaru bucks) 2 subarus thru SOA-Chase and had fine experiences. The rates could not be beat. On my wife's 07 Forester, it was 1.9% for 2 years and on my 09 Outback, 2.9% for 3 years.

As to your questions:
    1. Don't know - we did paperwork at point of sale.
    2. No added fees or charges.
    3. My installment sales contract says "You may prepay all or part of the unpaid part of the amount financed at any time without penalty. If you do so, you must pay the earned and unpaid part of the finance charge and all other amounts due up to the date of your payment".
    4. No other cautions. We use Chase-Paymatics, an automatic monthly debit from my checking account for convenience.
  • dp232dp232 Member Posts: 2
    I first ordered our 2010 Outback Limited 3.6 R on 2 Sep 09. I used the Costco auto purchase program which our local dealer accepted. The order and price negotiation was simple and pleasant.
    Ten weeks later, neither the dealer nor SOA was able to give me a date of delivery for our ordered vehicle. The sales person contacted me to say that they had found the model and color at another dealer @ 100 miles away, and that they would add the options I wanted and that I could have it in a week. I agreed to accept it.SOA offered monetary compensation for the experience so far, which I was happy to get.

I had specified that I wanted evidence that all options were installed and working before I accepted delivery which I was assured would be done.

I agreed on the morning of delivery[ 16 Nov] to purchase the window vin etching done by the dealer, and included it in the bank cashier's check I brought with me at delivery.Arrived at 4:30 PM to find that car was still being worked on. My wife left [ new car was hers] because she had work to accomplish and could not wait. I stayed until after 6:00 PM. By then service was closed. Sales person showed me features only to find out that all interior lights were not working along with homelink. Since I then had no other way home,and service dept was closed, I took new car home. There I discovered that the window etching which I had payed for was also not on car, but no one told me. I had to return to dealer in the morning for them to complete delivery, and to find out that they did not have the supplies to perform the window etching. That meant that a third trip to the dealer was necessary to complete what should have been done in one trip. Sales person appologized for the inconvience, but it was the worst delivery experience I ever had on any make of vehicle. Seems that there was no " team" effort, just take the check and " next." Good sales person, but not a team backing things up.No offer of free first service etc., just " sorry for the inconvenience." I sure hope the car lives up to expectations.

So far, about 150 miles on the car,all is well so far, and will report on it after more mileage
    150 miles.... are those all on trips to the dealer? :surprise:

Sorry to hear about the poor experience; hopefully they added the options, etc., without extra charges even though they were not factory-installed.

Here's to hoping you enjoy it!
  • stoopystoopy Member Posts: 105
    Window etching? Were they going to apply "paint sealant" also?
    If they haven't done the window etching than don't get it. You should pay no more than $25 for it and with all the problems you've had it should be comped anyway. the etching is one of the overpriced add-ons dealers rip folks off with. Your 2010 outback is not on the most likely to be stolen list anyway. Far from it so save your money or donate it to charity.
    I hope you have other dealers near you. I'd go somewhere else from now on.
  • dp232dp232 Member Posts: 2
    I did get the dealer to refund the window etching fee, thanks. I had already refused all other dealer add ons previously.

This is our first Subie. The reason I took the local dealer was for ease of service, and their acceptance of Costco auto buying program, but will go there only for potential warranty problems. I will use trusted independent shops for " routine" maintenance.

If we experience problems with the car in the first 5 years or 50,000 miles, it will be our last Subie. Hopefully it's winter driving virtues will win our loyalty. So far, we like it's size,ride,turning radius, and most features.We wish it had a memory seat and folding mirrors, though.

We also own a Dodge Grand Caravan AWD which has been very practical and reliable, but did not want to have two large vans, as Toyoya Siena AWD was other choice instead of Subie. I also did not want a sunroof as we never use it. If I want sun, I take our Sebring convertible [ also reliable so far ]. I spent the money instead on puddle lights, interior illumination, trailer hitch,mud gards,4 sensor back up system, homelink mirror, rear bumper cover, and bumper edge guards. I then added door edge guards from AutoZone on my own.

Since I had waited so long, the dealer did not charge labor for installing the options, and SOA paid half the cost of options as goodwill jesture for watching other vehicles ordered after ours be built and arrive when they could not give me a date of manufacture.So, My only problem was flubbed delivery so far.

We are impressed with the perfromance of the 3.6 engine.
    Looks like the dealer stepped up. People really bad mouth dodge mini vans but the fact is 80-90% give long reliable service. If you need another -- look at the 09 routan. 10k off msrp.
  • 204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    Thanks for all the good feedback on the SOA financing. Heres hoping they still have a really good financing rate in December! :D
  • bob_b1bob_b1 Member Posts: 29
    I would like to share this very present buying experience.
    Dealership:
    Liberty Subaru
    1000 E Park Ave (RT.176), Libertyville, IL 60048
    I have started with a simple internet quote. I submitted a quote for OB Premium CVT AWP Graphite grey. Got quoted very reasonable price $24440 (MSRP 26490).
    Went in last week to test drive the car and after brief negotiation the salesperson got the price down by additional $100. I would like to mention his name but not sure if that would violate the rules of this forum.
    Over the last seven week I have had few conversations with salesperson and finally decided today to pull the trigger. The final price was $24178 (with destination).
    I must say that there was absolutely no pressure tactic by any of the guys there.

The only negative thing was that the regular finance guy was on vacation and I was stuck with some temp idiot who made me wait about 1 or so for him. He did not care about anything since he was only tamping there and today was his last day. Trying to buy extended warranty was almost impossible, I will contact them back on Monday to see about warranty and all season mats. Not really dealership fault for getting this guy for this week.

The price brake down was:
    PRICE $24,176
    DOC FEE $152
    Registration $169
    Tax $1,705
    Total $26,202

Hope this helps.
    I would need help with pricing on Extended Warranty. If somebody has something to share please let me know.
    I will post some pictures tomorrow.
    Thanks
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    Bob -

I had very low on Subaru's Gold Plus extended warranty
    I paid $1,200 on 7-yr / 100k mi / ded $100
    New car owner can spread out in 10 credit card payments.
    You click my name to email me for more info.
    I have decided to contact few dealers around my area. to see the about warranty. But not sure where to start. Do you talk to their financial department or somebody else.
  • chipkchipk Member Posts: 7
    Yes, the F&I (Finance and Insurance) person is the one to speak with. You might also consider contacting dealers in other parts of the country and sampling their prices.

When I purchased my ext warranty for another vehicle, I found (thru these forums) dealerships who sold warranties in volume and I saved 40% over what my local dealer wanted. Handled the entire deal over the net!

In fact, if you get a good price somewhere else, you might take that number back to you local shop and see if they'll match it...

Chip
    can you please name some dealers that sell warranties in volume, or Chip can you give me the name of dealer that you use.
    i just got off the phone with a dealership
    they offer warranties at great prices
    they are advertising on eBay as well
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Genuine-Subaru-Factory-Extended-Warranty-All-Mode- ls_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3a4c9ebc8aQQitemZ250393574538QQptZAutomotiveQ5fSer- vices

if anybody knows anything about his let me know.
    I got quoted 7yr 70k $100 deductible for $995 for outback premium 2.5i CVT
    That's a great price, go for it.
    bigdadi118
    I have emailed you but not sure if you have received my email. Can you please give me the dealership name.
    Thanks
  • need_a_outbackneed_a_outback Member Posts: 7
    $1050 off invoice, plus TTL
    It this price OK? South California.
    need_a_outback
    $1050 off invoice can be OK only if dealer does not charge you some ridiculous fees or destination. Ask about out the door price.
    I have wrote about my experience buying Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i CVT with AWP.
    I will post the same info again
    Liberty Auto Group
    MSRP $26490
    PRICE PAID $24,176 (thisi is $985 under invoice)
    DOC FEE $152 (this is standard for most dealers)
    Registration $169 (registration depends state where you live and if
    you need new license plates)
    Tax $1,705 (Lake County In Illinois charges 7%)
    Total (OTD) $26,202
    I had very present experience dealing with their sales department. Except Finance Department that wanted some ridiculous amount for extended warranty. This is something you can get from other Subaru dealers and save hundreds.
    I am still looking for extended warranty 7year-100K (the best price i got is 1300 with 100 deductible)
    The best thing is to get some quotes over the internet make sure you include your phone number. They will call you back and possibly knock few hundred dollars more.
    Hope this helps.
    Hi bob_b1,

Thanks for your information.

I THOUGHT $1050 off invoice is a reasonable price, because a previous post mentioned dealer's true cost of a vehicle is at least ~$1100 off invoice.

Now I am not sure how is the quote I got.

Following is detail about the quote
    MRSP $26822
    Invoice $25179
    Paid price $24129 ($1050 off invoice)
    OTD $26,702.85 (tax rate 8.75%)

I want to get a 'good' deal not only a 'ok' deal. How much more I need to cut down?

Thanks,
    $1050 under invoice is a great deal! As Bob was saying, though, just be sure there are not other fees tacked on that erode the bottom line.

From the numbers you listed, it looks like you are paying over $400 for something other than taxes. I imagine some of that is the title/registration fee.... what is the rest? Still, you are walking out the door paying less than MSRP even after taxes and title. At a tax rate of 8.75%, that's a pretty good deal. ;)
    Hi xwesx,

This TTL I get from www.DMV.ca.gov is $2476, and the dealer asks for $2573.
    What the extra $97 for? Something like documentation fee?

And, how do you guys feel about 2.5 basic and 2.5 premium? I choose premium mainly because its 17' wheels.
    Yes, I suspect that is a documentation fee. From what I have seen though, $97 is actually not a very large doc fee.

I have not researched the Outback enough to make a recommendation on the basic vs. premium.
    I am trying $1500 off invoice from another dealership, for premium with AWP/powered moonroof.

I think the reduction I am asking may be TOO much for them. Trying to approach the bottom line. Will post this story here.

Thanks guys.