Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Outback Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• bob_b1bob_b1 Member Posts: 29
    Good luck with $1500 under invoice.
    I have contacted over 30 dealers over the last month or so and to be honest with you the best deal I got was around $950 under invoice, and I almost lost that deal because the manager tough that internet manager screwed up and they almost refused to honor the price.
    I think the price of 1050 under invoice is a more than good price at this moment. Not sure what will happen in the next few months but I assume nothing since they are selling Outback like crazy.
    Let me know how you did.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    I agree. $1050 under invoice is a great price. Add the $97 doc fee and you are still $950 under invoice.

If you do shoot for $1500 under, I guarantee you will find the bottom; I bet you are almost there, if not there already. ;)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    I must share this quote with everybody!!!
    This is after Gerald Subaru | KIA of Naperville IL realized I am going somewhere else to by the car they offered this price
    Here are your vehicle details:

Your Vehicle: 2010 Subaru Outback Premium
    Color: Silver Steel Metallic
    Included Vehicle Features: All weather package
    MSRP: $26,490
    Your Special Internet Price: $23,214*
    Black Friday Sale!!!

*Price does not include destination, taxes, license, title, doc fee, of any dealer added accessories, if any. Price includes all applicable Subaru/KIA rebates. Extra fees are applied for a vehicle not in our inventory.

I am not sure what would be OTD price, and if they have any fees to make up any money.
    but if the fees are the same as my previous post this is around $300 less.
    Something to consider.
  • easypareasypar Member Posts: 191
    *Price does not include destination. Hmmm, that might be a problem, destination is listed at $695 (I'm guessing it's the same everywhere except AK and HI. I'd make sure the quote is apples and apples with other dealers.

Two dealers told me that "all Subaru dealers in this state charge the same, $379, doc fee". Except two that shot me low quotes put their doc fee as $499. I had to go back and have several requote me TOTAL, except for ALL TAXES AND GOVERNMENT FEES.

good luck

easypar
  • need_a_outbackneed_a_outback Member Posts: 7
    Again, how do you guys feel about 2.5 base mode and 2.5 premium?
    There is $1500~$1600 difference for OTD.
    received more info

Destination:  $695
    Document fee:  $151.65
    Plates:  $169 (New) or $106 (transfer)

OT Prem. w/ AWP MSRP $26,490.00
    Price $23,214.00
    Destination $695.00
    Document fee $151.65
    Sub Total $24,060.65
    With Tax 7% $25,744.90
    Plates $169.00
    Total OTD $25,913.90

What it looks like, I could have saved additional $285. But I got the color I want Graphite gray. It was almost impossible to find Outback in this color with only AWP.
    Overall great deal.
    Just to mention, for all people that are looking to buy a car, you should do this before the Jan 1st, to get the TAX Credit. Basically you will be getting all the tax money back. This will save you a lot of money.
  • britgeezerbritgeezer Member Posts: 95
    Hmm, will everyone get the Tax credit? I recall it had a max and min income limit. I bet that its subject to the normal tax capping rules and AMT, so not everyone will benefit. I agree that its worth everyone running the numbers to find out.

My order is placed, but unlikely to get delivered before the end of the year. I'm just lucky that way....
  • morin2morin2 Member Posts: 399
    It is not a tax CREDIT. It is a deduction - so you will save only the % at your top rate. If your top rate is 25%, then you will save 25% of the sales tax that you paid on a new car before Dec. 31.

Many people confuse tax credits with deductions.

Regardless, if you were planning to buy, its still worth buying now rather than in Jan or Feb. if you can get a good deal. The savings is not substantial enough to buy a bad deal.
    http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=204519,00.html

There are income limits, etc. Pretty simple deduction.
    Actually I'd say you got a pretty good price. That much, $2581, off of MSRP on a "mid-level" equipped unit, on a car that is supposedly in short supply sounds good.

easypar
  • teresa18teresa18 Member Posts: 3
    has roof,wheather package ,dealer agreed 25400 include destanation ex clude sales tax.someone please respon ,try to make a deal today.
    but the other person said .he got 1000 under invoice.my price is few dolla over invoice
    can U PLEASE tell me how much is the invoice. is it include dastination charge.for premium without any added option
    The best way to calculate the invoice is to use the new car pricing here on Edmunds and use the Subaru website to calcultate the MSRP for comparison. The MSRP should be the same on both but double check them.

Getting "under invoice" does not mean the delear is losing money on the vehicle, he still has holdback and factory to dealer incentives. Mine was under invoice and I know people who have gotten better deals than I did.

easypar
    According to Subaru's site, $27,545 is MSRP including destination and moonroof and weather package. I don't know what all is included in the weather package but $25,400, IF THERE IS NO DOCUMENTATION FEE, is not too bad.

Does the weather package include the floor mats? Splash guards? Since you're getting a moonroof you should also get the air deflector for it, about $100-$130! Take a look at the full accessories list and add EVERYTHING YOU MIGHT WANT.

The "homelink" is pretty good to have, once you've had that you'll never want to go back to the "clicker" garage door opener that hangs on the visor.

Cargo nets are another convenience.

Wheel lock if the car ever spends the night outside.

Once my dealer and I got close on price I used the less expensive accessories as negotiating points. I started at the more expensive ones, air deflectors, splash guards, cargo tray and worked down in price to wheel locks. I was basically looking for them to put those on at about 50%-65% of my cost. I might have saved a couple of hundred that way.

Unless you live a LOOOONG way from another dealership don't be shy about working one against the other.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

easypar
    i was referring to this article that I found on IRS website
    there is limit if the car is not going over $50K and if your combined income is over $250K

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=205863,00.html
    That's the same IRS link that I included in my post. There's nothing unclear about it. Only the sales tax on the first 49,950 can be deducted by those with combined income under 250K (which covers over 99% of all filers).
  • agnostoagnosto Member Posts: 207
    Is Out the door price of $32,850 (with a 3% sales tax and $399 doc fee) for a special order delivery about 6-8 weeks a good deal? This is for a 3.6 Limited with Navigation, Heated Seats, a hitch, and Graphite in color.

Let me know, thanks.
  • need_a_outbackneed_a_outback Member Posts: 7
    Final story:

Today picked up 2010 Outback 2.5 Premium
    MRSP $26822
    Invoice $25179
    OTD $26,600 (tax rate 8.75%) ($1050 off invoice and 0 document fee)
    South California

The financing lady tried to sell me 7y/100k gold plan ~$1.7K. Did not accept it because (1) not sure about the price is ok; and (2) not sure about the plan.

How about this gold plan? Is it really useful?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Yes mostly because you're lucky if they can find one, supply is so short. I'm surprised dealers aren't just saying MSRP for that particular model.

Hope the wait isn't too long.
    Depending on your location (State) its a good price, but lets be clear:

Your proposed order is a Limited with a $335 hitch and $2000 Nav package - everything else is included in the package as should be the destination fee. However, with Nav I have great doubts about any factory order within 6-8 weeks, apparently the supplier of the Nav unit is in delay. As the other reply says, any in stock unit is going for at least MSRP, but custom orders are being discounted - typically with maybe 12 weeks being mentioned about delivery of Nav based units.

You maybe can do better $ for custom orders, does your price include the moon roof? If not compared to my recently placed order there is about $1000 still in the price, but you may have to buy from a dealer some distance away - as I'm doing. If you are not comfortable with doing that go with your more local supplier, over the life of the car good service does have a value.

If the moon roof is included I would say be very happy with the price, but ask for a realistic delivery date.

Note: The tax deduction will be over and incentives including SOA financing rates are all unknown for your and probably my delivery date in 2010.

Good luck
    Seems I forgot the Nav has mandatory Moonroof :blush:, so yes the price is a good one :). Just take care over the expected delivery date.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    Hi - I didn't get your email so I cannot reply to you
    pls send again ... ur798-at-yahoo-dot-com ...
  • alex2009alex2009 Member Posts: 1
    I'm ready to buy a new 2010 subaru outback premium recommended by local dealer, but I found the mileage is 450miles in this new car. I'm wondering if I should take it or not. Any comments or suggestions? Thanks.
    Sounds like it had a few test drives or was driven between dealers, it happens. The important thing is whether it drove well when you took it out on the road.

The 450 miles is an opportunity for you to improve your price or get discounted dealer features or warranty.
  • fendertweedfendertweed Member Posts: 98
    based on my buying experience in July I would be surprised if they offer much off for 450 miles ... I had a choice of one demo with, I think, 3000 miles and they only were willing to knock off a few hundred $ so for 450 I'd be surprised if you get much consideration but it's def. worth trying ... say, $1 per mile? :surprise:
    Normally you may get a discount, but supply is so short that if you don't buy it, someone else will.

Just make sure it was never titled so the warranty starts as of the day you purchase it.
  • joshd1joshd1 Member Posts: 7
    Purchased a 2010 Outback 3.5i with bluetooth, splash guards, rear bumber cover and rear cargo net. Cypress Green Pearl.
    $25,760 MSRP
    $24,087 Invoice
    $23,568 Price Paid

Long Beach, CA - they wouldn't come down further on the price, but it seemed pretty fair. I got the 3.9% financing for 63 months.

Thanks to everyone for their input.
  • jjl6jjl6 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, this is automatic or 6sp manual? thanks
  • bombardilbombardil Member Posts: 4
    I have been comparison shopping Outback 2.5i Ltd (and Premium for that sake too) in DC area and getting Internet quotes which are at about invoice before TTL. So dealers get to keep holdback and incentive.fitzmall and some other with direct Internet quotations on the Web site post the price on the Internet and do not go down from there when negotiating. For example, typical Ltd model would be about 28.5K while typical Premium would be 25.2K, just about 2K under MSRP and at invoice. Supposedly good deal on Limited would be 10% off MSRP, i.e. 3K off MSRP, which is 1K under invoice (consistent with what some here report getting).

However all dealers I communicated with are pretty firm in their quotes and subsequent negotiations do not yield better deals. Even last day of the month in November did not get anybody get down in price to sell.
    Is DC area seeing worse supply/demand at the moment? When I check online inventory at local dealers I see it getting smaller day by day and it does not seem to get replenished last 16 days, where are the new cars going that Indiana plant is cranking?
    I am planning to stick till Christmas to see if deals get better, but if inventory keeps thinning like it does now I may miss on models I want.
  • ifontaineifontaine Member Posts: 24
    bombardil, I don't know if there is any truth to this or not, but......the day after I bought my ltd 2.5i, I had to return to the dealer because I had left my garage door opener in my trade, and didn't have homelink programmed yet...anyway.....when I was there I was chitchatting with my sales rep, and he made the comment that they had received 20 or 22 new outbacks in the previous two or three days (this was 11/14), and that they were subsequently told that they would not be getting anymore until after 01/01/10, and that their distribution amount was unclear.

I ended up paying about 7.8% under MSRP, which was one or two hundred under invoice. If I had worked at it, I probably could have gotten a few hundred more, but I felt that the price I paid ($27,800) was fair for the MSRP ($30,157), and they gave me the trade value that I thought was at the high end of realistic.

Bottom line, if you feel that it's an ok price, does it have to be a "smokin' deal"? If the inventory is truly drying up through the end of the year (given two weeks of december shutdown at Christmas, and one week at Thanksgiving), the prices may start to come back up if you don't act. Just something to think about.

Good luck, and post back with what you end up deciding to do.
    Its a gamble no matter what you do.

Waiting for a lower price in your area may not work, unless you are prepared to also consider a purchase out of State and with stocks diminishing, you may end up paying a little less, but losing the tax deduction and who knows about the 3.9% special interest rate that officially ended yesterday! (Without any web site news of what replaces it).

I've waited 2 weeks so far since placing a new build order for a 3.6R Limited the way we want it without learning any confirmed build date - who knows when we may get it and what incentives may apply when we eventually get the vehicle.

I don't care about the date as long as its by mid March - but not knowing the available incentives is a bummer.

If you can get the car you want at an acceptable price from stock at around invoice -I'd say get it now.
    based on these latest notes, prices appear to be about $500 or so higher than what I was quoted in July on a '10 OB (Ltd. or Premium) ... I didn't buy one because I just don't like what they've done to the OB for '10.

Instead I picked up an '09 Ltd. for 10% below invoice (over $5k below MSRP), many thousand$ less than the '10.
  • seabrook7039seabrook7039 Member Posts: 44
    Try Annapolis Subaru, sales rep. Ed Mosser. They were willing to offer $500 below invoice for a factory ordered 2010 Outback back in September to get my business as I live 37 miles away. No switch and bait, nothing squirly. Vehicle arrived five weeks later (a week sooner than expected). Of course that was before Motor Trend gave the Outback their 2010 SUV award. Maybe all the Subaru dealers are now less likely to discount?
  • renzrydrenzryd Member Posts: 1
    Ok, it has been 2 weeks plus 2 days and I am still feeling the burn but want others opinions since I do feel I was totally lied to by the Vancouver, WA Dick Hannah Dealership.

11/14/09 Bought '10 Outback Premium with All Weather Package, Graphite Gray. What got my attention about this dealer was the ad $2760 off MSRP, 0% for 72mos, (no ad price dealer buy down) I had an '05 Solara to trade in with 43,500 miles, got low blue book $8500, wanted $9000, but ok with $8500.
    Outback MSRP was $27,185, I wanted the 0%, but was told I couldn't get the ad price cause (dealer buydown). Negotiations from David the Sales Manager after that point were only about monthly payments. I got 3.74% for 84mos, it wasn't until Monday 2 days later, I found out rate wasn't a buydown, I obviously would have continued negotiating the price or left, since I did now qualify for ad price....should I feel screwed and lied to?
    I am also from Oregon so I have NO Sales Tax!
    New family motto: "Friends don't let friends buy DICK Hannah Subaru."
  • zuckerbrzuckerbr Member Posts: 11
    I'm looking at a 2.5i manual

(including destination charge)
    MSRP is 23,690
    Invoice is 22,358

we've negotiated 22,350
    the only addon is $75 for doing the state paperwork (to "secure" the tags & title)

It's a factory order.

Hicksville, NY
    You are under invoice on a car that has a 15 day or so supply. I think that's good, yes.
  • bombardilbombardil Member Posts: 4
    Tried ANnapolis Subaru, their Internet prices are a bit higher than invoice...
    I started to check inventory away, WV or Delaware but it seems to be really low.
    Well, my wife just signed the contract, and put $500 on the credit card.
    $22,350 + $75 "dealer processing fee" (I know that's just a scam, but at $75, I'm OK with it).

They said it will be delivered around Feb 1.
    does that sound reasonable?
    6-8 weeks so they are being a little conservative.

We got lucky and our special-order Forester arrived in 5 weeks.

Congrats! :shades:
    Oh well, it turns out everything is not so simple.
    They tacked on a $169 filing fee (plus two other fees for $10 and $12), which we did not notice when we signed (not noticing the numbers didn't add up).

So we called back and they gave us a hard time, but offered to refund the deposit. My wife is on her way over there now - we'll see what happens.
    Quick - get e-quotes from other dealers. Ask for an out-the-door price, with tax and everything. Leverage would help you right now.
    I tried that using this website.
    With two cars in mind (Honda CR-V being the other), I requested price quotes from 10 local dealers. I only got 1. The rest sent EMails or phone calls inviting me to come in to see them.

PS - They gave my wife a refund (or I should say, they gave her a piece of papre saying "refund", but said someone else was processing a refund rght now, and they would do it later. While that seems fishy, I know I can dispute the charge on tn the creidt card if I have to). I was surprised they didn't try to negotiate further.
    So you cancelled the deal over $191 .. only you can be sure about how happy you were with the car, spec and the deal you had, but over that amount if that was the only dealer fees being added, I don't understand your reaction.

Being in NJ and having purchased in CT - I can say there will always be fees, but I agree they should be up front and clearly stated.

As for the new order, you would have lost the tax deduction (must be delivered by end of December) and who knows about the 3.9% special interest rate that officially ended yesterday! (Without any web site news of what replaces it).

I think they were realistic about the delivery date.

I would shop around for the spec you wanted and see what you can get from stock, if you need to order, the fees for the Metro area seemed OK.

Good luck
    You have to understand that ad prices are to get you in the door, after that its a battle of wills between you and the sales manager. Conventional wisdom says you should never negotiate based on monthly payment $ since it lets the sales manager work the numbers to his benefit.

If you got the $2760 off the MSRP that wasn't so bad, where they stiffed you was on the trade value since that enabled them to get a good part of his discount back. You have to pay for the convenience of not selling it yourself.

Not getting the 0% should be no big surprise, unless you "walked on water" to get in the show room, its typically discount or 0% APR and not both in the small print.

Obviously the loan is via the dealership, SOA does not offer that term and rate, only you can decide if it was a good deal for your situation.

The important thing is are you enjoying the car? Sounds as if you will be paying for it for a long time. Think about an extended warranty to protect against paying repair bills and the loan.

Good luck with the OB
    We cancelled the deal because we had asked several times that all fees should be explicitly stated, and there was a clear attempt to deceive us. I understand they will add in some fees, but when I ask five times what they are, and am told there is nothing else, I know that they are lying.

If he had told us about the fees (by the way, there was another $75 that we had decided to swallow), we might not have agreed to the price, especially as it was predicated on being good enough to prevent us from shopping around.

But even if we had agreed to 22,600 instead of 22,350, at least we would have known what we were agreeing to.

Regarding the tax deduction, it seems we need to buy from stock in order to get it then (although I believe it will be extended)?
    the ONLY way to shop IMO is to ask for and insist on the OTD price all inclusive before you reach any agreement and sign anything ... in fact, when I did that in July on our '09 OB, the final price was actually a few $$ LOWER than the OTD price we agreed on because some of the local fees, etc., were estimated a tad on the high side in our negotiations.

I don't care how much $ is the selling price and how much $ is my trade allowance and how much is for dealer fees or how much is for the dealership owner's kid's braces, the only number I care about is the bottom line, out the door.
    Yup. We learned this lesson, and will apply it when we go to the next dealer.
    Sorry, didn't mean to seem critical of your decision, I just wanted to balance the extra $ against the potential deduction and any available incentive. Yes, you would need to buy from stock.

I would always shop around, although perhaps feel no need to tell the dealer so, its a consumers right and something the dealer wants to avoid for obvious reasons.

Where did the news about the deduction being extended for 2010 come from? That would be good news indeed!
    No offense taken, and in fact your point about walking out over $191 is a valid one. I too thought about our decision, and whether it was worth it, trying to make sure it wasn't an emotional decision (of course, I suppose I can never be sure of that...).

Our deal was a factory order, so we would not have taken delivery in 2009 anyway. But thanks for pointing that out, as we may now try for a car on the lot. That would probably mean buying an automatic instead of a stick, as the stick is very hard to find. But the tax deduction would pay for half the difference in price.

I have no news about any extension for the deduction; it's just my opinion that with car sales continuing to slump, the government will decide to extend it.