Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Outback Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    Go to truecar.com and punch in the numbers. That should tell you what a "good" and "great" price would be. Start your negotiating from there.

Good luck!
  • biancarbiancar Member Posts: 965
    edited March 2010
    Anyone have any comparative price and service experience between Beyer, Stohlman, Farrish, or Sheehy dealerships in Northern Virginia? Seems like everyone likes Fitzmall, too, but that's quite a ways from me.

Also, does anyone know if any of the car rental companies have the Outback in their fleet? I'd really like to rent one for a few days for a longish trip, see how I like it. Seems like I could make a much better judgment about whether it's the right car for me after that kind of use, rather than the usual 15 minutes to 1/2 hour test drive.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Try Herb Gordon in Silver Spring, MD. I'm very happy with them.

Bob
    Thanks. They are on the opposite side of the Beltway from me though, and I'd prefer to buy someplace closer, everything else being equal. Beyer's is the closest, but all the ones I mentioned would be feasible.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I bought my first Forester from Farrish, but it wasn't a good experience so I have avoided them since. They added last minute fees. I really should have walked.

Oh well, their loss.

Fitz is right off 355 (Rockville Pike). They have a 2nd location up 270, but the Rockville one is closer to you. They are really nice, our family has purchased several cars there.

One bonus - in MD, processing fees are capped at $99. In VA some dealers have $399 fees. May be worth the drive for that difference alone.
  • surrfurtomsurrfurtom Member Posts: 122
    edited March 2010
    The Gold warranty extends road hazard coverage to the tires that are not covered on the factory 3/36.

Does anyone have a good source to buy the ext warranty Gold 100/7 no deductible and what is a good price? Preferably east coast and not PA. Thanks.

My Subaru: 2010 OB Ltd, Nav, SR, CVT, PZEV, Gold. have owned it >3 mos and 3300 miles about 22mpg overall so far.
    Thanks. Interesting, I bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee from Farish back in 1997 and the experience was fine. We had a young salesman. Test-drove the Jeep, said thanks, we still wanted to look at a few more things, which we did, liked the Jeep best and came back. Honestly I don't remember how much we paid for it but I remember being satisfied at the time.

Anyway - I have been comparing the Outback to the Passat and think we want to go with the Outback. Have looked at all the dealers' inventory all around the Beltway, and no one seems to have exactly what we want, which is a 3.6 Ltd. with moonroof/nav, auto dim. mirror with homelink (a lot have them with just the compass, but not HL), and puddle lights. Plus splash guards, etc., which I'm sure any dealer could install.

The 2.5s are a lot easier to find, but even in the 2.5 ltds, I couldn't find exactly the package I wanted.

Might have to drive further afield to get what I want, maybe.
  • morin2morin2 Member Posts: 399
    Heritage Subaru in Owings Mills has a 3.6 Limited with moonroof, auto dim., homelink, etc (not sure about the NAV) and puddle lights. Its Cypress Green. They show their inventory & pricing on their website.

I'm not connected to them in any way - except that we bought my wife's Forester there in 2007 and were satisfied. I've also been very pleased with their service dept.
    I found that one last night after I posted! Seems to be the closest to what I want, anywhere within reasonable driving distance. Have you seen the Cypress Green color in person?

I need to test drive both the 2.5 and the 3.6 to really confirm which version I want.
  • easypareasypar Member Posts: 191
    "mirror with homelink (a lot have them with just the compass, but not HL), and puddle lights."

Adding the homelink is a matter of chaning out the mirror, at distribution center or dealership. Puddle lights are the same AFAIK.

Good luck

easypar
    I've seen it from a distance driving past one at Annapolis Subaru every day (a 2.5). I think they pair it with "taupe" interior. Color is less important to me than the features, but I'm partial to that combination because it is close to my "ideal" color combo - BRG with tan leather.
    I'm learning a lot as I do my research. It looks like a lot of the things I'd want, like the home-link mirror, the puddle lights, etc. could be added at the dealer.

From what I've seen, it looks like dealers really want to keep the price of the Ltd. versions right around $30,000 to $31,000 at most, so there is some slicing and dicing of options to keep the price there. Am I right that if I get the trim line and color I want, pretty much every thing else can be a dealer-installed option?
  • lovedmundslovedmunds Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2010
    I am planning to buy one base CVT model of Outback. I am very interested in this invoice offfer in CA. Does this invoice price include the destination fee? Can anyone share some information of the OTD price with breakdown?
    biancar wrote; "Am I right that if I get the trim line and color I want, pretty much every thing else can be a dealer-installed option?"

On the Subaru site they list "options" as moonroof with or without navigation. So those have to come from the factory that way, although aftermarket nav is one heck of a lot cheaper, but so are roadmaps.

The only thing under "accessories" that might be iffy on adding at the dealership or distribution center is the media hub. But since it's possible to fit an aftermarket set up on any car I imagine that maybe all units are prewired for it and it's just a matter of having the usb port installed. I don't really understand this kind of stuff so I could be totally wrong, but it is listed as an accessory, not an option.

BTW, I checked online and found a couple of places (IIRC a dealer in Wisconsin) who sell many of the accessories for less than listed at the Subaru site. I compared my cost of buying and installing myself and used that number in "offset" negotiating with my final dealer. In the end they were so close that I figured I was only going to save a total of about $35 if I ordered in and then installed myself the hood and sunroof deflectors, the splash guards and the cargo nets. For that I just ordered them on the car.

Good luck

easypar
  • britgeezerbritgeezer Member Posts: 95
    edited March 2010
    Basically you are correct but, never forget that factory or "at Port" dealer installed options become part of the bumper to bumper warranted system. Those you do yourself are excluded, not quite sure about local dealer options - but I'll assume covered also.
    I'm not much of a do-it-yourselfer, so anything more complicated than floormats I would have the dealer install.

For instance, I want the puddle lights, bumper moldings, splash guards, wheel arch moldings, and maybe the interior lighting system. And definitely want the mirror with home-link. So if I found a car in a color I liked, that had, say, the bumper moldings and splash guards, but not the puddle or interior lights, I could order those and have the dealer install them, right? I'm assuming they would still be under the same warranty in that case.

In doing my research, I'm understanding why they call the top trim line "Limited," because it certainly is! Even dealers with as many as 15 OBs will typically have only 1 or 2 Ltds, often in a color I don't like.

Thankfully I'm in no rush, so I'll wait for something I want. Anyone know if there's a certain schedule when dealers will get more stock, or does it just depend on how well they've sold over the past 60 days or something?
    biancar wrote; "Even dealers with as many as 15 OBs will typically have only 1 or 2 Ltds, often in a color I don't like."

Well, dealers, and manufacturers are in business to maximize profits. Which they do by stocking what sells (or, what they think will sell based on historical data) so they can satisfy customer demand quickly and turn their inventory. Looking at the "dealer inventory" tab on subaru usa's website I agree with your note about not stocking many Limiteds, but I guess they know their market.

I was luck that I live in CO (probably number 1 Subie market in the US) and there is a depot or distribution center in Denver. Even though I initially liked the metallic gray color I decided against it for two reasons; I wanted the lighter interior and a salesman at one store told me it is the NUMBER ONE selling color on the Legacy. Heck, if I wanted to drive what EVERYONE else is driving I wouldn't have been in a subaru dealership.

And yes, if you order any of the "accessories" from the dealer they become part of the total car and are covered by the warranty.

easypar
    It'll be worth it in the end. All these people that make it popular must be on to something. ;)

Wouldn't you be more worried if they had 27 in stock in the exact color and model you wanted? :surprise:

Imagine trying to sell or trade that in a few years. You'll have the same sort of demand.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,780
    Thankfully I'm in no rush, so I'll wait for something I want. Anyone know if there's a certain schedule when dealers will get more stock, or does it just depend on how well they've sold over the past 60 days or something?

Since you are in no rush, you might consider "factory ordering" a vehicle to your exact specifications. The accessories, such as door moldings and splash guards (both great accessories to have!), will be added at port and, depending on the price you negotiate, cost less than dealer-installed. Also, you often have to pay installation fees for dealer-installed accessories.

Dealers typically receive vehicles weekly, but "allocation" occurs on a monthly schedule. So, if factory ordering, you can wait as much as 8-10 weeks (assuming a regular manufacturing schedule) depending on when you order and the factory/allocation schedule.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    We ordered our Forester. Took 7 weeks, but I think we got lucky and they found a built one that matched our specs.

I'm sure it'll take longer for an Outback, as many are already accounted for.
    From my own experience, I'd want options to come from the factory or port. There's too much variability in the quality of the installations at dealerships. I've seen some very nicely done subaru dealer installations, so maybe I'm harboring grudges based on old memories of botched dealer installed options from the more distant past.

I once took a friend to pick up his new pickup and asked why he didn't take it when he signed the contract. He replied that the dealer was installing a different stereo. I thought "ugh-oh" and told him to inspect the installation job before accepting it. The sight when we arrived was sickening - the dash was hacked apart. He refused the truck. I asked the manager if they used a machete or a chainsaw to install stereos. Weeks later he got his truck with a new dash and instrument panel. The less the dealer does to a new car, the better.
  • britgeezerbritgeezer Member Posts: 95
    Ordered my Limited 3.6R + sunroof (to small to still be called a moon roof) + puddle lights etc in Mid November - picked it up last week.
    The less the dealer does to a new car, the better.

That is an excellent point.
    biancar wrote; "The less the dealer does to a new car, the better"
    That also applies to after delivery service, except for recalls and warranty work.

In general that's true, but I don't think any of the "accessories" are EVER going to be factory installed.
    Splash guards,
    wind deflectors
    cargo nets,
    all weather mats
    etc.

I agree having a dealer install an upgraded stereo is pretty much guaranteed to be a mistake. IMO if it's not on the manufacturer's website then it shouldn't be purchased through the dealer, period.

easypar
  • pf2001pf2001 Member Posts: 110
    Options are moon roof, splash guards, moldings, auto/mirror/compass/homelink and puddle lights for 31,000. I think we did ok.
    $31,000? You must mean including tax, title license, right? Otherwise that's higher than MSRP. MSRP should be about $30,100 or so. How much of that was taxes and fees?

easypar
  • curvecurve Member Posts: 20
    After 6 months of research (and other factors delaying pulling the trigger) I finally bought an OB. Here are the details:

Paid invoice price (edmund's #) for the gray OB with nav, PZEV, hitch, remote starter, nets, bumper guard, mats, security wheelocks.

- no doc fees (they had agreed to lower the invoice price by $275 and add the doc fee line which was mandated by law but in the end they left it out entirely)
    - had to be ordered and was going to take 4 months. 2 days later they called about one on the lot with the color and nav I wanted. I test drove the same car two weeks before but was "sold" by the time I was ready to buy. They wanted to "move it" as a previous buyer backed out. They would install all OEM options at factory prices! Only catch was that it had 270 miles on it. I didn't feel like waiting 4 months to save 265 miles.
    -$100 for new plates/registration and $25 for state inspection sticker. 6.25% MA sales taxes.

Cityside Subaru, MA: Very professional dealership. When ready I used the internet/emails/phone and dealt with "management". Two or three days later it all worked out as I wanted/hoped, and they appreciated the speed to get the transaction done. No pressure/conditional over trade-in, loans, etc as I read about other dealerships around MA.

I was going to get the 3.6R but after test driving both cars the term "adequate acceleration" for the 2.5 was indeed correct. Plus my wife drives it during the week and is lead-footed: 15mpg for our small sedan that is supposed to give us low 20s in city driving!

Picked up the car last rainy Saturday and so far so good. My first Subaru (20 yrs of Honda/Acura) and I could see myself keeping the car for many years. The only thing ridiculous is the horn, which belongs in a moped :D

Thank you all for valuable data/info. I hope my post helps others as well.

My final advice: do extensive research, search for reputable dealers, deal by email/phone and let them know upfront how knowledgeable you are and what you want. Speed of transactions keeps costs low for everybody. Ordering a car may be cheaper than buying off the lot.
  • pf2001pf2001 Member Posts: 110
    edited March 2010
    No, MSRP is 33,751.00. 500 below invoice excluding taxes and tags...
    "No, MSRP is 33,751.00. 500 below invoice excluding taxes and tags"

Of course, you're right. I was looking at the Legacy, not the OB. That seems like a good price to me.

easypar
  • jayhozjayhoz Member Posts: 2
    Dealer just agreed to a price of $24,850 on the following:

OutBack 2.5 Premium
    CVT
    All weather package
    Floor Mats
    Remote Starter
    Rear Bumper cover

How did I do?
    I show MSRP to be $26,970, including destination/delivery of $695. So, you're less than 10% off of MSRP, maybe a bit over invoice. You don't say where you're located but if that price includes destination/delivery and they don't whack you with a lot of "document" charges it mightn't be too bad.

Here in the front range of CO below invoice isn't hard to get, even on Premium and less loaded models.

Have you accepted delivery yet?

Did you check several local dealers? Do you have more than one local dealer.

easypar
  • jayhozjayhoz Member Posts: 2
    Edmunds has the MSRP at $27,363 and invoice at $25,659. No other dealers would touch that price.
  • maringuymaringuy Member Posts: 5
    edited March 2010
    3.6 Ltd silver Outback. No navigation and no moonroof. Purchased on 3/27/10. It took 14 weeks from order date to delivery. Well worth the wait. Wonderful car. Price paid was $29,700 plus tax and license; and plus $1,215 for 7/70000 extended warranty. Jensen Motors in Napa, CA. Great buying experience. By my estimate, this price was a few hundred below invoice. The salesperson said Subaru underestimated the demand for the 6 cylinder models; which is why it took so long to get the car. Next year they will apparently be more plentiful.
  • lesterfreemanlesterfreeman Member Posts: 2
    hi everyone --

I was just given an offer at this price for the new Outback 2.5 limited with CVT (without tax). The car has remote starter, splash guards, mats, cargo net, auto dimmers. Am I being fleeced?

I've got another offer for a bare-bones Outback 2.5 limited CVT with nothing extra but the floor mats and dimmer/compass for 27,500, but that car, Im told, could be 12 weeks away. Its also the color I like.
  • linkfeeney3linkfeeney3 Member Posts: 19
    my wife is looking at the same package but without the remote starter
    the msrp is like $27300..
    you think I can get it like $24500?

thanks!
    The first one at $28,400 is $900 off MSRP according the pricing here on Edmunds. A lot depends on how competitive your local market for Subies is. Here in the Colorado front range many dealers post prices near or below INVOICE on their websites so it doens't take much to get a better price than you were quoted.

As far as the "bare bones" one you described, I can't believe a 12 week delivery schedule on Outbacks. Although that one represents more of a discount from MSRP. Taking off the remote starter (worth maybe TEN CENTS in my book) is about $424, the floor mats are $69 and the splash guards $129. Auto dimming mirror is standard, btw. The only upcharge on the mirror is for the homelink system.

Other than the sunroof everything else is done at the distribution center or dealer.

I suggest you try the pricing option on edmunds then follow the car buying advice about shopping online.

easypar
  • jamedeojamedeo Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2010
    I know this is probably the wrong forum, but I've posted here before and logged in under my old, now-defunct, email address.

I found a 2006 Outback Wagon 2.5 Limited, two-tone silver and grey, in really good condition with just over 49,000 miles - for just under $14,000 including taxes and fees. Heated leather seats, heated power mirrors and wiper, 6-disc CD (no aux jack), auto-dimming compass mirror, dual center console, full-size spare tire, roof racks installed. 21 mpg.

Kelley Blue Book lists the retail price of this car at over $20k, and private-party value at $17,500. I've already test-driven the car and gotten a full maintenance report. The brakes were replaced last summer, and the last major service, other than oil changes, etc., happened at 30,000 miles.

Is this a good deal? Do these cars last to 80k-100k miles without major costly service work? I've been looking for a pre-owned hybrid to eventually do a plug-in battery conversion on, but this wagon fits my needs.

Please advise. Thank you!
    That is a good price for the car and a little low, as you pointed out. However, if the title is not branded and there is nothing obviously wrong with it (including head gasket issues, which may be more difficult to determine), it may simply be an issue of the current owner wanting to sell it versus trade it, and the person is selling it for the same price or a little more than the offered trade-in at a dealer. :confuse:
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • skyiceskyice Member Posts: 21
    I just got a price quote for 2.5i premium and limited with different options without tax. See below:
    1. 2.5i Premium Auto with moonroof and all weather package price = $25996
    2. 2.5i Premium Auto with moonroof only. = $25550
    3. 2.5i Limited Auto with moonroof = $28553 and yes the all weather is included

How much should I offer? Is there any question regarding any hiden price that I need to ask?

I still haven't decided if I should go with limited with moonroof, which is more attractive to me. :P

Thanks,
    If it's more attractive to you, and they actually have the thing in stock, then go with it. It is really hard to find a Limited. If you're financing, another couple thousand is not going to change your payments by all that much, and if you're paying cash, well, again, what's $2,000 bucks over the expected lifetime of your car? This is assuming you intend to hold it a long time.

My personal theory of car-buying is to buy what you really want with whatever options and accessories you most enjoy, and then keep the thing for at least 7 years, more if possible. You will enjoy the extras more than you will enjoy having a few more bucks in the bank, IF you can truly afford whatever it is you're looking at.

If not, then go down to a lesser car rather than injure yourself financially, and save more than $2k in doing so. $2k itself is just not enough to make that much of a difference either way.
    In general, look to pay 6-10% under MSRP. You can determine MSRP by plugging in the car's specs at Edmunds.com.
    Or go to truecar.com and get the stats for your local area.
    edited April 2010
    Thanks a lot! Biancar.

I think I will go for limited as I prefer leather seat. :blush:

It is very hard to find a limited one. The dealer told me that it will take about 12 weeks to get.
    Thanks, xwesx.

That website is very helpful!
    Where do you live? Do you have reasonable access to more than one dealer?

Looks like I will soon be a new owner of a 3.6 Ltd. with Moonroof, Nav, homelink, security system, nets, moldings, cargo organizer, puddle lights, etc. Azurite Blue over Taupe.

Most of this stuff will be added at the dealer. It comes with a remote start, which I didn't even want, but I'll take it rather than have a long wait for something else.

Car will be coming in sometime in the next week to 10 days. It is "reserved" for me but I did not have to put a deposit on it. We didn't talk price much; he just said yes, he'd be able to get me a better price than MSRP.

MSRP is $36220 with all the goodies. Truecar says "lowest certified price" is $33,390.

Think there's any chance of getting it at close to that price? Or anything in the $33 - 34k range?
    I like that color! Sometimes (especially when it's dirty) I wish I had gone for blue instead of black. It sounds like one of two things in play here; either someone ordered that and then backed out or the dealer ordered it loaded up knowing that the long wait for the 3.6 ensures that someone will take it, regardless of price.

Most of what I've seen in my area, and read on here are 10% off of MSRP without any difficulty, and MSRP is high with the 3.6 plus navigation/etc. Unless the dealer has a list of folks waiting for it you should plan on getting that much off. You don't get unless you ask and are "well armed" i.e; ready to walk!

Congratulations.

One combination of options that I don't understand ANYONE ordering for themselves is "homelink" (for garages) with remote start (for pre-starting the engine when it's cold outside). Hence my comment about this being a dealer specced car instead of customer preference. Remote start is second only to moonroof and navigation in MSRP, so it's also the highest profit $$ for the dealer.
    It sounds like one of two things in play here; either someone ordered that and then backed out or the dealer ordered it loaded up knowing that the long wait for the 3.6 ensures that someone will take it, regardless of price.

I guess I wasn't clear. The ONLY thing that comes on the car when it's delivered to the dealer is the remote start (plus the moonroof and NAV.)

The other stuff is the list of things that *I* want that the dealer will add. It is the only one coming in that's a 3.6 in the color I want, so I said ok to the remote start, and here's what else I want, and he will have to order all those bits and pieces.

It comes with the auto-dimming mirror with compass. I will have them switch it out for the Homelink. If anyone needs a brand new auto-dimming mirror, will be glad to sell one to you.

I agree it's a weird combination to have the remote start and the Homelink together, but I gotta have my Homelink. I suppose the remote start might come in handy if I'm parked someplace and want to get the a.c. or the heat going a minute or two in advance of getting into the car, but I would have been just as happy not to have it.
    It is the only one coming in that's a 3.6 in the color I want, so I said ok to the remote start,

I can certainly understand that sentiment! But like I said, I wonder if they put the auto start on to pad the ticket?

It comes with the auto-dimming mirror with compass. I will have them switch it out for the Homelink. If anyone needs a brand new auto-dimming mirror, will be glad to sell one to you.

Hmmm, I don't think you actually get the basic one back. Maybe if you ordered it and itstalled it yourself. But where I live that mod is done at the Denver distribution center.

But I gotta have my Homelink.

ME TOO. I consider that one of the best things automotive in the last 10 years. Although for some reason my wife just doesn't have 100% faith in it (we've never had a problem) so she keeps a clicker on the pax side of her car :confuse:
    Funny! We've never had a problem with either of ours.

Re getting the original mirror back, yes, I do. I asked if I could get a "credit" for the old one being taken out and new one installed, and the dealer said they don't do that, they just give me the original mirror.

So - guess I can sell it on Ebay or do whatever I want with it.

Even though this car is "reserved," I'm continuing with my due diligence and checking to see if there is a 3.6 anywhere near me coming in with HL, Nav, and moonroof, in one of the colors I like. So far no luck. Obviously that would be preferable, as everything else (splash guards, moldings, etc.) are easy for the dealer to install and don't involve taking anything else off, which does bother me some.
    Yeah, that is lame given the likelihood of their being able to resell it (talk about padding the pockets!) to another buyer upgrading a Subaru from a basic mirror.