Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Outback Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• captainsubarucaptainsubaru Member Posts: 2
    In the Seattle area. Just purchased a new, 2011 Outback 2.5i base model with the automatic CVT transmission. No options or accessories from Carter Subaru in Ballard.

MRSP is 25520, invoice listed as 23798. It was the best price I could find for the base model by $600. Here's how it broke down:

Base price: 22798
    Tax (9.8% in Seattle): 2234.20
    Doc fee and license/reg combined: 309.25
    Out the door price: 25341.45

The dealer offered both paint protection and seat sealant for 1295 and 1495 respectively. They said internet customers got a $400 discount on both those prices, but 895 and 1095 still seemed way overpriced.

Offered a 6-year/80,000 mile bumper extended warranty with no deductible for 1510. Said it was a discount if combined with the car purchase. They admitted I could get the coverage from Subaru any time during the initial 3yr/36,000 mile standard one but said it would cost 2350. Interesting side note is that the extended warranty is good in Canada as well as the US.

Overall it was one of the better buying experiences I've had, even easier than either of my Saturn (RIP) purchases. If you're looking to buy in the Seattle area, get a quote from Carter's (our sales rep was a nice guy from New Zealand). I'm sure prices will drop like a rock as soon as the market crashes at the end of October, but all in all I'm excited about the new Outback! Can't wait to take it to the mountains this winter!
  • almattialmatti Member Posts: 164
    capatainsubaru, did you finance the purchase? at what rate from Subarau?
    IMHO, I would NOT get Paint and Seat Sealants and protectorant, that's a waste of money. Just make sure they Deliever your new car waxed/polished - I presume with the base model you have Cloth interior - buy a couple of cans of Scotch Brand Fabric Protector at any hardware / auto store. The Extended Bumper to Bumper Warranty - read the fine print and see if the warranty includes changing brakes/pads, wiper blades, all fluids, bulbs, etc., etc., The purchase DOES include powertrain warranty to 5 years - 60k mIles, I believe. I would put off the Extended Warranty purchase for a little while - see how the car is. You are covered for the first 36K miles...You won't spend upwards of $2,300 on Brakes, Pads, Fluids, bulbs, tires, etc on the car even if you replaced all of the above in one shot!!

Curious how the Car Makers including Subaru, offer Limited Extended Warranty / which Power/Drive train concentrated, to purchasers of CPOs , like me,. We bought our Legacy Sedan 2.5i Premium with the AWPackage with 7,400 miles in February 2011 on trade in of our 08 1/2 Mazda 3s. I got 2.9% financing for 5 years !, 100K limited Extended Warranty up to 6 years (from date of In place Service which was 12/09); I enjoy the balance of the B-T-B new car warranty until 12/12 or 36K (now have 19K on the clock); Roadside Assistance for the term of the extended warranty ; the car was delivered "Like New" for $19,000 - a No Brainer - got $12,000 for the Mazda that had 35k +/- miles. The Subbie is far superior in all respects Except for Sport Handling (hard to beat Mazda in that category), it has much more room, smoother, better riding, much Better MPGs [22-23mpg overall on the Mazda - getting about 28 MPGs on the Subbie in same driving scenarios), AWD !!![ Mazda was fair to poor in the snow as a Front drive vehicle even with traction control - all weather Goodyears RSAs not good in the snow), nicer looking, my 25 year son who uses the car for commuting (yes, still at Home - but Thank God he has Teacher's Assistant job Special Ed for a wonderful salary of $27k per year....that's what a $125,000 College education gets you today] - Loves the Car. At 5' 11" and 260lbs (former Football lineman in HS), fits him fine. I have to "steal" the car from him on Sunday mornings....GOOD LUCK
  • captainsubarucaptainsubaru Member Posts: 2
    We did not finance this car purchase. We've been a one car family since 2007 in prep for the next car (family's growing and need more space than our previous coupes and sedans in the past). The dealer offered financing options of 1.9%/36 months or 2.9%/48 or 60 months (sounds identical to your options).

The interior is cloth - went and got the scotch guard this weekend! I'll have to look at the extended warranty fine print. I've always gone with 3rd party coverage for extended warranty on previous vehicles.

Your Legacy sedan sounds like a sweet deal. Still trying to get a handle on the "real" mpg the Outback will give us. Haven't had to fill it up yet and we're at 430 miles since Friday. We'll have a better handle on that and the car in general by the end of the month.

Agreed that college isn't what it used to be!
  • dad2bedad2be Member Posts: 60
    Anyone getting any prices quotes on the 2012 models yet? About to sign off on a 2.5i Premium w/ AWP that we're ordering for Invoice, and taking advantage of a very strong Guaranteed Trade-In Value from Subaru on our 2010 Outback. Wasn't really looking to trade up, but for $3k get a two model year newer car with some items we really wish our 2010 had - folding mirrors, Bluetooth compatibility (now standard on the Premium,) a factory trailer hitch, and most importantly to my wife, the dark interior. Our 2010 has the white/taupe and it always looks dingy, especially the door pulls. Drives her crazy...
  • easypareasypar Member Posts: 191
    While I haven't gotten a quote I had a long conversation, on the golf course, with the salesman that sold me my '10 Legacy. I asked him about any upgrades/improvements in the '12 versus the '11 models. He said there was no change and mentioned that as far as he knew the price would be about the same.

$3,000 sounds pretty fair, mileage, condition and other things taken into consideration. If I could get by for about that amount I'd give some serious thought to upgrading. I think I paid about $300 for the Bluetooth on mine and AFAIK the factory hitch isn't cheap. Good luck.
  • gtbdevsgtbdevs Member Posts: 19
    Was at the dealer last night, looking to purchase a 2012 Outback.

We are looking at the 3.6 Premium, with the following options, Moonroof, and upgraded stereo. I know the prices are not out yet, but the dealer gave us a price of 31,600, does that seem like a good price?

TIA
    Yes, the factory hitch isn't cheap ($389 Invoice), but since we had the opportunity to get what we wanted, I prefer the factory install this since it's integrated into the rear bumper. Prices for 2012s are just slightly higher, plus $50 higher destination (reposted from cars101):

Prices: small increases on all models: 2.5i $100, Premium $300, Limited $200, 3.6R $100, Premium $300, 3.6R Limited $200
    Destination now $775 from $725. $925 to Alaska

There are a few changes for 2012, but nothing major like the new engine from the Forester. Summary of changes, simply reposted from other sites:

Optional Alloy wheel pkg for the base 2.5i
    -16" silver painted alloy wheels
    -Fog lights
    -All weather pkg (heated seats, outside mirrors, wipers.

New AM/FM/CD stereo on 2.5i

Standard Bluetooth w/steering wheel controls on 2.5i premium.

Optional Harman Kardon Sound with HD radio on 2.5i premium.

New design steering wheel w/black audio and cruise buttons.

New design crossbars.

New Deep Indigio Pearl with ivory interior
    New Ice Silver Metallic with off black (dark gray) interior
    Ruby Red Pearl now with the dark gray interior instead of ivory.
    Gone Azurite Blue Pearl
    Gone Steel Silver Metallic
    Unfortunately the subaru website doesn't have the 2012 prices, but you can find the "unofficial" pricing information at:
    http://www.cars101.com/subaru/outback/outback2012.html#prices

My salesman confirmed these are correct. Ours is on-order and will be in at the end of September (we were able to reconfigure one that was already in-process.) I didn't see the 3.6 Premium with Moonroof and HK Audio as a possible configuration, so not sure what the MSRP of yours is. Dealer should definitely be able to tell you the MSRP at this point.
    Thank you for the link. Definetly will have to check the options.
  • kman94kman94 Member Posts: 4
    In mid August I picked up a 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5 Limited. Wondering if this was a good deal on a lease?
    1200 out of pocket
    385 a month for 36 months
    12k a year mileage
    (includes tax title and reg)
  • gnochmangnochman Member Posts: 4
    Mark. Please share purchase price and perhaps even location of purchase. I am also in Mil-town and looking at that exact same car (3.6 Limited), though I'd go without the moonroof to save some additional cash if that were an easy thing to do.
  • best_buybest_buy Member Posts: 2
    Hey I just recently started looking for a Outback the same as yours... I am pretty bad with negotiations and hate doing it. Would you be able to tell me which dealer you got your car so that I can check out that dealer. I am in Seattle too. That price looks really good.

All the best with your new Outback.
  • amigirlamigirl Member Posts: 2
    i ended up with very similar quotes from carter (ballard), walkers (renton), and chaplins (bellevue) - since they were all willing to match prices (or get very close to what I was getting from one of the other). i ended up purchasing from chaplins b/c they had the color i wanted. i did all my negotiating with the respective internet sales managers over email and phone, which made it a lot less stressful. good luck!
  • hollydedohollydedo Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    A week and a half ago I went to a local (Bay Area) dealership to look for a deal on 2011 Outback 2.5 Limited...knowing that 2012s are rolling in very soon...
    I was expecting up to a $3,000 off MSRP.
    Inventory was getting slim and they did not have what I wanted (silver or dark gray Limited without Nav).
    Dealer offered $2,700 OFF MSRP on 2012 "in transit" without much hesitation...and I took it.
    It was delivered last night as promised...I have purchased Subaru extended warranty - bumper to bumper up to a 6 years/60,000 miles - paid $912. I feel I could have done better on this.
    Overall positive experience...
    I love color display on stereo even without Nav.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    bumper to bumper up to a 6 years/60,000 miles - paid $912. I feel I could have done better on this.

Possibly. Is that the Gold warranty with zero deductible? Instead of looking at what you could have done better, consider what you did get.... There are many folks out there who pay MSRP for the extended warranty; you picked up yours for way under that.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Congrats on your purchase! Sounds like a great price on your 2012 2.5 Limited (~$500 under invoice, depending on what other accessories were included.) I'm certain I could probably have done better on my deal as well, but with the Subaru trade-in program, I got a bit lazy since the deal seemed so good already. I also liked that I got to configure one with the exact accessories I wanted. Really hate the expensive wheel arch moldings, but I must be in the minority on this since every single Premium Outback they order in eastern PA has them.
  • kmo2012kmo2012 Member Posts: 1
    Paid $24 for 2012 manual Premium w/Cold Weather package. When i was buying they said it would be ready monday, then called back to push me to Wed or Thu. I was happy with deal though.
  • machimachi Member Posts: 3
    I recently leased a 2012 Outback 2.5i Limited in Houston. I think I got a really good deal...

It was raining and the 2nd to last day of the month (9/30) and they wanted the sale.
    MSRP was $31,467; the negotiated capitalized cost was $26,740.
    Tax & tags ($131); Acquisition ($895) probably too high; Doc, Lic & M ($334).
    Gross Capitalized Cost = $28,225.91
    Total out of pocket $800 (including 1st month payment) and I had the car delivered to my house (~ 20 miles from the dealership).
    39 month lease at 12k miles/yr = $369.99/month
    Money Factor = 0.0018
    Residual Value = 51%

I had initially negotiated a deal for a 2.5i Premium (but the dealer had a toughttime locating the color I wanted); we ended up at:
    MSRP - $27,049
    Value ~ $24,049
    Out the door - $800 (including 1st month payment)
    36 month lease at 15k miles/yr
    $352/month
    MF = 0.0018; RV = 54%

The first deal they offered was a capitalized cost of $24,049, w/ a monthly payment of $440 - $460/month. I'm not sure what MF or residual value they were using, but it was way high. After a few iterations for the guy to check with his manager we got to the above deal.
  • dinomandinoman Member Posts: 68
    Can you send me the name of the dealer and salesperson. I offered the local dealer 2700 off MSRP on the same car and they acted like I insulted their mother. Thanks.
    Anyone know the money factor and residual on a 36month/15k mile lease
    Below is the best offer I have so far. Should I keep looking or is this a good deal?

2012 Subaru Outback Limited
    2.5i Automatic Transmission / Moonroof

MSRP: $ 31665.
    Price: $27667.
  • best_buybest_buy Member Posts: 2
    That sounds like a great deal. Is it from Subaru Carter Ballard???
  • subaru1112subaru1112 Member Posts: 3
    MSRP was just shy of $33000. Got if for $28887 about $4100 off MSRP. I suggest anyone in the midwest Contact Melissa at AutoBarn Subaru in Countryside, IL. You could also try Grand Subaru, they were aggressive as well but I do not have the buying experience there just e-mails, the autobarn was painless. Melissa's price will be great but also with little wiggle room if any. Go on the website and ask for the e-price.
  • hanbalfrekhanbalfrek Member Posts: 1
    In NYC and got it with remote start for 32500.

How'd I do?
  • daga480daga480 Member Posts: 2
    Based on the above it seems like ~$27500 is the best deal anyone has received (non-moonroof). We just want one with a tan interior, outside color doesn't matter so much, we can take/leave the moonroof, and would like to be at $30k out the door (6.25% tax in TX). Does this seem reasonable? Just need to purchase this year.
    I did not mention this also had a moonroof!

MSRP was just shy of $33000. Got if for $28887 about $4100 off MSRP. I suggest anyone in the midwest Contact Melissa at AutoBarn Subaru in Countryside, IL. You could also try Grand Subaru, they were aggressive as well but I do not have the buying experience there just e-mails, the autobarn was painless. Melissa's price will be great but also with little wiggle room if any. Go on the website and ask for the e-price.
    That should not be a problem. I did not see many w/o a moonroof. You should be getting around 4K off MSRP not matter what model you buy.
  • davidsd1davidsd1 Member Posts: 11
    Bought 2011 Outback 2.5 Premium w/HK audio last weekend in San Diego.

MSRP: $28315
    Paid: $25178 plus TTL

They also took my 2010 Venza I4 with 19K miles for $500 over BB value:).
    Venza paid: $24750 plus TTL
    Trade in: $23500

I believe I won't be able to do any better.

Very happy with the purchase and so far I love the Outback.
    Just picked up a 2012 Limited 3.6 with sunroof...no navigation at Bill Jacobs Subaru in Joliet, Illinois.
    By far the easiest car buying experience. They did not play any games or try to push any unnecessary warranties. I would recommend talking to Monica or Pam.
    MSRP 34,600
    Sale price 30,600.

The whole deal was done over email. No other dealer in chicagoland area came close to those numbers.
  • cjoyschultzcjoyschultz Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I would love some advice regarding my choices in buying a used Subaru Outback. I live in Florida so don't necessarily need one, but when I lived in California I had a 96 Legacy and put more than 125 k on it after it already had 100k when bought. I loved the car, but didn't realize how much until now - while looking for a new/used car to purchase (so few choices and so awful for my price). I keep going back to Suby's!! Everyone here is recommending a Toyota.

Unfortunately Subarus are hard to find down here and I'll probably have to drive a few hours to go get one...here's the dilemma...I'm looking at three different cars thus far: a 2001 Outback Limited with 152K for $4750 (two owners, a bit more roughly used)., a 2002 Outback Limited with 162K for $5695 (only one owner and very clean), and a 2001 Outback LL Bean for $7488(not sure of the condition - looks ok). They are all nice looking from what I can tell, I was hoping to pay less than 6,000,but have been reading about the different models and was wondering if overall the LL bean is the best buy (because of the engine), despite the price. It has low miles, but doesn't look nearly as well kept as the 2002.

Now, here's the thing, I haven't personally seen any of these cars yet (only online pictures and talking with the owners/dealers), they are all about 3 hours away from me. I'm going to have them mechanically checked before I even drive anywhere but am not sure I should even check all of them (about $100 each time). I'd really rather not, but I also don't want to go drive all the way there before checking them out. Which one sounds the best to you all? I know the information is quite limited, but I need to narrow it down I think.

Thanks for your time...hoping to have a subaru again soon.
  • machimachi Member Posts: 3
    West Houston Subura (near Katy, off I-10); the salesperson was Alberto Andrado.
    The '02 Limited certainly sounds like the best choice. Of course, you're taking the risk of having head gasket issues present or soon cropping up. If other maintenance is current, including the struts (and possibly half shafts) having been replaced in the not-so-distant past, the price you'd pay for it is enough lower than the LL Bean that you could have a shop replace the head gaskets and still not be into it for more than a car with, perhaps, a less stellar history.

For me, knowing the history of a used car adds a lot to its intrinsic value as it generally cuts down on the surprises, some of which like to occur moments after signing on the dotted line. :surprise:

Good luck in your hunt!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • daga480daga480 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks - according to Edmunds, invoice price for a Limited is $26,913.
  • egonlou1egonlou1 Member Posts: 3
    Just picked up our Outback today. OTD Price is $26,985
    All-Weather Package
    Auto-Dimming Mirror w/Compass & HomeLink
    Rear Bumper Cover
    Wheel Arch Molding

After telling the business manager I would come home and research warranties, he dropped the list price of the 7/70 plan from $1620 to $1099. Has anyone done better on the warranty? They also offered $575 for the Ultimate Vehicle Protection. Is it worth it?
    That was the Premium 2.5i
    What is the deductible on your 7/70? The price sounds reasonable, even if not the absolute best you could have come by.

I'm not sure about that UPP; that's not a manufacturer thing.
    Got the above w/moonroof for 29959 plus TTL, in NJ.

Hopefully it was a good deal. Can't wait to pick it up.
    $o Deductible
  • tripeltripel Member Posts: 12
    that sounds really good, from what I've been researching
    I'm in NYC too -- where did you buy this one? Seems like you have to leave the city to frind a Subaru dealership.
    thanks for this info -- very valuable. So I understand the target to shoot for is $4K below MSRP, great to know.

Another Q though -- if not doing financing, should one expect to get more of a break on the price? I intend to pay cash -- would you assume I should target $5-6k below MSRP in that case?

thanks
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I don't think so, actually dealers can make more money on financing than they can on a cash deal. Don't mention how you're paying until after you finalize a price.
    ah, makes sense, thanks!
    chatting online with a dealer now -- that is the best way to go!
    he's trying to push me on a new 2011, listed at the same price as an identical 2012 ...seems pretty silly
    Special deal for me is 1K off MSRP. I will push to do better.
    Another Q -- the Limited has the 9 speaker stereo, but not the HK. Wanted the HK, but they seem hard to find -- anyone know if its that much better than the 9-speaker one? Wondering if it's worth holding out for.
    thanks again
    You lose on resale.

Tell you you tend to trade every 3 years. Big difference in residuals, so you want that discount just to break-even. ;)
    another Q (thanks for this -- invaluable forum for a newbie like me) --
    when paying cash, will they take a check, or can i use my amex (after calling them to clear it) ...what's the best advice here? thanks again

my goal is to find a red 2.5i w pkg #09 All Weather, Moonroof, backup camera, H/K audio

as per this site :
    http://www.cars101.com/subaru/outback/outback2012.html#packages

but what do those prices mean exactly? Is it the cost to the dealer, so i need to be above, or what I should be sooting for? (seems to high in the first case, too low in the latter)

thx again!!
    Dealer may let you put a portion of the charge on your card, but not all of it. They pay a fee to the credit card companies.

Fitzgerald Subaru let me put $2000 on my card, the rest on a Cashier's Check.

I had 3% in Subaru bucks on a Chase Card, so that means $60 worth already from Subaru service and accessories. :shades:
    is the one im shooting for ...from Edmunds Total Price INV $29,200 / MSRP $31,215 / TMV $30,363
    dealer has it listed at around $31.6K (couple extras in there i guess, cargo nets)

so, I should shoot for $3k-4k off the MSRP, right? that's $27.6-$28.6

but then i have to add TTL? how much would I expect to pay for that? I saw this in a post earlier -- Tax & tags ($131); Acquisition ($895) probably too high; Doc, Lic & M ($334). But isn't Acquisition in the MSRP? (that's listed as $775 in cars101.com as 'destination', right?)

So then this TTL could be anything from 450-500 to +775 more?

And then there's the Gold warranty, right? so, 7/70 is that 7 years, 70K mi coverage, and I'd expect to pay another grand for that?

So, am I safe in assuming that my out-of-door cost should be that MSRP minus 3k-4K, plus TTL (450-1275?), plus $1k for gold coverage ....meaning allin, out of door $30K is a good price?

thanks for any and all help
    cheers
    Update:

The dealer now couldn't find the above, they so offered us a 2012 3.6R Limited w/moonroof, for 31,500, which we accepted.

This one we pick up Monday.
    UPDATE
    I went to the dealership in Queens to test drive, then made an offer on a 2010 Graphite Grey Limited 2.5, w Moonroof, which they had listed at $31,569.
    http://www.koeppelsubaru.com/new/Subaru/2012-Subaru-Outback-bc878cef0a0a0065016a- 6bdf0860e3d2.htm

I took in a printout I created from www.truecar.com, which shows the best deals other regional dealerships are ofering for same car and told them if they match the best I'd buy on the spot.
    https://www.truecar.com/price-manager/21912/
    Lowest was $28,410, which said $2800 below sticker and $900 below factory invoice. The balked and said they'd seen those website printouts before and that they were bogus, best they could do was $500 off their sticker ...then let me walk (surprising.)

I think it might have to do with being in/near NYC, or maybe those other offers are bogus (turns out to be another car when you get there...) But many reports on this site of ppl getting $3k-4k below sticker, so I was a bit puzzled...

will run down those other cars from truecar printout ...
    If you can get 2-3% under invoice, that's great. I wouldn't get too stuck on a number because it is going to vary based on the specific car's MSRP. Invoice is generally 6% less than MSRP and dealer holdback is another 3%.
  • crainiaccrainiac Member Posts: 1
    We just bought a 2.5 limited with sunroof for right at 30 out the door. They offered the warranty, and I said I'd pay 1k tops. They went down to 1099, but I said no, so no extra warranty (for now).