Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Outback Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• timgoodmantimgoodman Member Posts: 1
    Which one you end up getting for that price? Thanks
  • smile_ccsmile_cc Member Posts: 13
    I believe the enhanced mirror can be added on as an interior option without the moon roof. You can call a dealer and confirm. Most likely you would get a 3.6 limited (without moonroof) and then request they add the:
    "Auto-Dimming Mirror w/Compass and Homelink" option.

You can see this listed via Edmunds under options. The retail price is $271, invoice price $176. They may not include "installation", but I would negotiate all of that info the final price and expect to pay less than what they have listed.
  • marylander3marylander3 Member Posts: 4
    bluecarredcar: please identify those dealers. At that price I would fly down and drive home! [from Maryland]
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    I would check with MD DMV first...>MD requires the PZEV option....not sure the TX ones have that......so not sure how a out state purchase of new vehicle would be impacted if it didnt comply.......
  • marylander3marylander3 Member Posts: 4
    @pao: Ah, I hadn't thought of that. Used cars can be purchased out of state with no problem. I think the rule is that new cars SOLD IN MARYLAND must be pzev, but not that all new cars REGISTERED IN THE STATE must have that option. But thanks for reminding me of this.
  • nusubaruchicknusubaruchick Member Posts: 2
    I got a great deal (below invoice) at Barber Subaru in Ventura. The person who sold me the car said he would not lose a sale due to price, so maybe you can get written quotes from other dealerships in the area then take them there. I still love my 2012 Outback in Ruby Red (with awesome Bluetooth and the dimming mirror, which they didn't make me pay extra for since I originally was ooking for q real stripped down base model.)
  • gucguc Member Posts: 1
    how about this price? Can it go down further? Thanks.
    2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium with all weather package

- MSRP : $27,670
    - Invoice : $25,864
    - Your Price :24412
  • skewerskewerskewerskewer Member Posts: 1
    This is the great price, pull the trigger! MSRP-Your price>3000
  • stevesetevesteveseteve Member Posts: 1
    How about this price?

2012 Subaru Outlook 2.5i limited
    Moonroof/Nav package
    popular package #2

Costco (and invoice) price: 31980

Your price: 31680+TTL
  • go2sailinggo2sailing Member Posts: 8
    Saw several posts stating price around $1500 below invoice. Wondering what can get in Portland, Oregon area.

The best internet price I got on Limited 2.5i CVT with Moonroof

MSRP: $31,682
    Invoice: $29,503
    Offer: $28,760

Almost $750 below invoice. Any more room I can bargain?
  • oregonmanoregonman Member Posts: 60
    I'm also shopping in Portland, OR. I don't think that there are any incentives or rebates on Outbacks right now, so I would think that 750 under invoice is a very good price. I would think the dealer is making nothing or even losing money on it and will only make money on a trade in or added services. When were the $1500 under invoice purchases you saw? I'm guessing that there must have been incentives of some kind running to get that price.

If anyone knows of any current incentives, please correct me.
    I'm not sure if this is the right discussion to ask this question, but I couldn't find a better one.

I was using edmunds and other sites to try to compare resale values of the Outback and other cars that I am considering. I find that edmunds trade in values for the Outback are way lower than other sites that I looked at. For a 2010 Outback 3.6R with no options and 24K miles in outstanding condition, edmunds lists the trade in value as $18645. Two other sites that I looked at show the trade in values for the same car as $22,775 and $23408. The two other sites agree pretty closely, but the edmunds value is about $4500 lower. When I use the same methodology for other cars - a Nissan Murano and a Hyundai Santa Fe, I see a much closer agreement between all three sites.

Comparing an Outback, Murano and Santa Fe with similar trim levels, edmunds tells me the Outback will have the worst trade in value of the three, while the other sites tell me that the Outback has the best trade in value of the three. Any idea who is right?
  • thanksoutbackthanksoutback Member Posts: 1
    @bluecarredcar - Thank you so much for posting!!! I was able to get the same Awesome deal that you received because of your post. I emailed all the Texas Dealerships, and one Houston dealership was able to match this deal ($4000 off MSRP for Outback Lim). Gillman Subaru in Houston was able to match this deal. Lucky for me, I live in TX, so was able to drive there. They can also ship cars.

This is the deal that I received:

2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited Black
    + Option Package 4 (Power Moonroof, Rear Vision Camera, Homelink)
    + Body Mold
    + All Weather Floormats
    + Puddle Lights
    + Rear Bumper Cover
    + Splash Guards
    + Moon Roof deflector
    + 24-mo maintenance

MSRP: $31,776
    Inv: $29,450

Purchased: $27,776 + TTL
    $4000 below MSRP $1674 below Inv.

This price was cheaper than some of the used Outbacks I looked at!! I'm really enjoying the car and getting about 27 mpg overall.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    At $750 below, they aren't "losing money," but they aren't making much on that particular sale either. There are volume incentives, etc., that often make up the difference. If you're under invoice, you're getting a good deal. It might not be the best deal, but it is good.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • bluecarredcarbluecarredcar Member Posts: 3
    No problem. I'm glad you were able to get the same deal. The fleet managers in Houston tend to provide reasonable deals and it's always worth while to come back and ask them again a month later if someone didn't like the answer the first time. To those that had previously asked, we got our deal in December at Gillman Subaru Southwest.
  • go2sailinggo2sailing Member Posts: 8
    I saw the post #3075, the Huston dealer gave deals $1600 below invoice. Wondering how much more can get from NW area dealers. What kind of model are you looking at?
  • jar_owljar_owl Member Posts: 1
    Any recent buyers in Michigan here?

Quoted $25,500 +TTL for 2012 2.5i Premium CVT w/AWP
    +auto-dim mirror
    +AW mats
    +rear bumper cover
    +rear cargo net
    +alloy wheel locks

I've read that buyers in other regions (CA or TX) are getting closer to 25 even but wondered if anyone in the Great Lakes has? I'm okay with the current offer but left the dealership undecided after feeling "greased" by the # of ways they attempted to pad the deal w/paint coating, GAP insurance, and other sales-specific psychological warfare games.
  • shadowchasershadowchaser Member Posts: 94
    3 months ago, I bought a beautiful 2012 4 cyl Prem Plus Audi q5 with Nav at a fairly good price... 42,000 (plus taxes, title and audicare taking me to 46000)
    The car drives great...but I just don't like the controls etc.
    It is in perfect condition and has less than 10K on it (5 I think). How much will I lose if I sell it and buy an outback with Nav (prob the 6 cylinder)

I know cars lose a lot the second they go off the lot... but new audis are expensive and I wonder if there is a market for very nearly new.

What is the best way to sell... and do I lose a ton just in the taxes themselves (on the new car.... ) Should I approach a dealer or sell on my own... please advise
  • fendertweedfendertweed Member Posts: 98
    Between the general scenario of new car depreciation and Audi prices in particular (I've owed 3), I think you're gonna take it in the shorts unless you get really lucky and find a top dollar private sale via Craigslist or wherever.

I haven't checked Edmunds on the Q5 (you should) but I can't imagine that you're not going to take a big depreciation hit.

Your situation sounds to me like the Perfect Storm of how to spend a lot of money flipping cars (sorry).
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    On the plus side, Q5s are in high demand and fairly low supply..

But, any time you sell a nearly new car, you are going to take a pounding on resale...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• lmartilmarti Member Posts: 16
    can someone explain this numbers game that the dealership plays? I'm trying to see if I got a good deal or if they finaggled the numbers somehow. Want to use this as a learning lesson for the next time I purchase a car since it's obviously too late now.

2.5i Premium AWP+Moon (Side Molding, Splash Guards, Rear Bumper Cover)
    MSRP: $28,973
    Quote: $27,281 (Invoice)
    Trade In Payoff: $21k
    Tax/Title/Fees: $1,463.61
    OTD: $28,744.61

We received a quote from another dealership for almost the same car but it was a PZEV and had package #2. MSRP $29,297, dealer quote was $26,781, OTD $27,981. Fantastic deal (I thought), however, this dealership is over 100miles away and I didn't feel like making the drive.

Went back to the first dealership and told them I wanted to be out the door at $28,000. They agreed, but instead of lowering the price of the car, they increased what they gave me for my trade in. So, my numbers looked like this:

Quote: $27,281
    Trade In Quote: $21,678 ($621 applied towards purchase)
    Tax/Fees/Title: $1,406.23
    OTD: $28,066.97

So, can someone explain why the quote wasn't lowered but the trade in was increased? I'm assuming somewhere in the numbers they get more if the value of the car is shown as higher??

Thanks!! :)
    The salesman makes his commission on the sale price of the new car, so he didn't want to lower that quoted price. In addition, the sale price of the new car will go on the books as invoice, rather than "under invoice," which is reflected on sites like Edmunds and TrueCar. In this internet age, all that information has an effect on the bottom line!

They're likely going to make a nice little profit on the used car regardless, so it was no skin off the dealership's back to give you a little more on trade-in.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • lmartilmarti Member Posts: 16
    So, do you think it's OK to focus on the OTD price in this case vs the actual car price or should I have pushed to have gotten the car price lowered?
  • drachir52drachir52 Member Posts: 2
    We will be shopping at our one and only Subaru Dealer here in Eugene, OR and will be expanding to the Portland area Dealers soon. Tell me what you have found from the Dealers you have contacted if you wouldn't mind.
    We are looking at a 2012 Limited with 3.6 L and most every option available. Best I have seen so far is MSRP at about $36,500 and purchase price about $900 over Invoice at $34,000. I know I should be able to do better than that, or at least I would hope so.....Thanks in advance.
    Unless the difference negatively impacted the taxes you paid on the new car, which I should think it did not, then it had zero impact on you. I wouldn't worry about it.

It doesn't sound like you were focused on increasing your trade value and paying less for the new car, so you saved that $600+ you wanted to save either way.
  • shadowchasershadowchaser Member Posts: 94
    thanks. Edmunds puts the private sale dollars at higher than I actually paid.. but then I lose the taxes.. If I trade in to a dealer in my state, I won't pay any taxes on the new car because of the way the law works.... but it will be a wash because they won't give me as much..

The thing is... when I went to buy this, there werent any around (still aren't) and I had to wait three months. If they offered me a car on the spot that was three months old in perfect condition, I am guessing the price would have been pretty close to new...
  • qyaoqyao Member Posts: 1
    Hello, Guys
    I got a quote for WA state

2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium automatic transmission with the all weather package for $25041 including destination and handling. Pricing does not include WA State tax, license and $150 documentation fee or any factory installed options (all season floor mats, cargo trays etc).

I wonder whether the price is reasonable. I need to pay $400 for additional options, including FLOOR MATS, Rear bumper cover and BODY SIDE MOLDING KIT,etc.
  • caringdoctorcaringdoctor Member Posts: 6
    Which dealer gave your this deal? Thanks!
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    I've been offered the following on 1 2012 Premium OB w/o any negotiation ("no haggle" pricing)

MSRP: $26980
    INV: $25329

Price: $24316 plus TTL

Over $1K under invoice seems like a pretty good deal. Comments? Can I go much lower?.... :confuse:
  • caringdoctorcaringdoctor Member Posts: 6
    You can try OTD=MSRP-$1500.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Deal sounds great, I wonder how they're not losing money. Isn't holdback just 2% of invoice? That's about $500, so by my math they're giving you $500 to take their car.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    edited April 2012
    Dealers can lose money to make money. I know it sounds crazy but for example. The manufacturer says "if you reach, say 10 sales of a particular model within this month we will give you $500 for each one you've sold. Don't hit the target, no bonus money."

Now, say they have one or two to sell to reach that goal. They can easily take a $500 or even $1000 loss on those vehicles because if they sell them they will get $500 times 10 or $5,000 back from the manufacturer. So, bottom line, they clear $3000-$4000 by "losing money" on a couple of vehicles. Shopping at the end of the month sometimes does lead to great deals. However, it doesn't always work because 1. there may be no promotion on and 2., they may be so far away from the goal that they aren't trying to reach it. That's how so-called volume dealers that are selling every day at below invoice still make money on new car sales. Plus, keep in mind that at most car dearerships, more money is made from used cars and the back shop then is made on new car sales.
    Sounds great to me. You might be able to squeeze another hundred or two out of it, but I'm not sure it is worth it.

What is the dealership name / location?
    Subaru of Georgetown (TX), north of Austin.
    Thanks for all the comments, guys. BTW, this price was reached w/o any negotiating - I just requested a price via e-mail. The salesman said they could easily beat Edmund's TMV and he was right! They have over 50 OBs in stock so not sure if that helps, don't think it hurts.... :)
  • cincinnati_dancincinnati_dan Member Posts: 12
    I looked at a 2012 Outback Limited 4-cylinder this evening. Sticker price of about $31800. The salesman told me I could have it for $28,900. This is a new vehicle, loaded with about everything except for Navigation. Is this a good deal, or should I expect a lower price?

When you buy from a Subaru dealership, is there typically additional costs, like "Dealer Fee"? I know I will have to pay taxes.
  • dad2bedad2be Member Posts: 60
    I'm looking at a similar model (limited w/ moonroof) for my sister. MSRP $31926 (including some accessories like wheel arch moldings, splash guards, rear bumper protector, and cargo net) and Invoice of $29706. Between two dealers and they're both in the same range that you mention ($28900) including destination. Will go the final round tomorrow to see if there is any end of month advantage. There may be some sales volume targets one of them needs to meet (per the thread above) or there also may be some dealer cash that we're just not aware of - lots of inventory out there and the 2013 specs have been released with some notable improvements.

As far as extra costs, it seems to depend on the state and the dealer. In PA, the dealer doc fee is something like $125, state tax is 6%, then there's some other fees for registration, title, etc totaling around $100. Not planning to pay any more than these amounts. Some other states seem to have much higher dealer admin/doc fees though (have seen $399 in Virginia) so difficult to provide any absolute rule. If you're in Ohio, then there seems to be a maximum admin/doc fee of $250 set by the state. Will still have the taxes and registration, etc, costs.
  • cerebus1cerebus1 Member Posts: 5
    I'm ready to purchase a 3.6R Limited Outback (no lease or financing). The question is ... should I go ahead and negotiate a deal now on a 2012 model OR should I wait a couple months in the hope that Subaru will offer some kind of cash-back deal on the 2012's (knowing that the 2013's are imminent) OR wait for a 2013 model?
  • jeffm5jeffm5 Member Posts: 123
    I have a 2010 4 banger. Trouble free so far. I hear the 2013s are going to have rear park assist. That's something I would have gotten.
  • newsubieguyconewsubieguyco Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2012
    I just bought a 2012 Outback 2.5i Limited over the weekend. MSRP was $29,470. It was a pretty basic Limited. No dimming mirror or anything. Out the door price was $26534 (including doc fee of $499 and not including taxes, since I traded). I caved in on the extended warranty and kick myself for not getting them to budge on the price and not threatening to walk. So that brings the total to $28149 with warranty to 7 years and 70k miles bumper to bumper. I need a little help here. Did I get a good price?
    So after doing a bit of research, I found MUCH cheaper warranties from other dealers and went back in to re-negotiate. Long story short, they matched another warranty and so I paid $850 for a 7yr/70k mile warranty with no deductible on top of the $26499 (before taxes) for the Outback. Now I'm pretty convinced that I got a very good deal.
    edited May 2012
    I just bought a 2012 Outback 2.5i Limited two days ago, and spent $1450 for a 7-year/100K Gold Plus warranty. They wanted $1350 for a 5-year/100K. And both were zero deductible.
    I was able to re-negotiate with the dealer to match another dealer's price for the extended warranty. Of course, I had to threaten to return the car before they would budge. But in the end, I got them to match it. They couldn't adjust the term or the payment amount, so they cut me a check for the difference. Which will pay for my registration with plenty left over. You should have one day left to pull a stunt like that if you want, but you have to be ready to act on it.

Al
    If I understand your post correctly, you paid $26534 - $499 = $26035 for the car before any fees. The only way to compare is before fees and taxes, since they vary so much. So the price for the car was 3435 below MSRP. That seems like a good price to me, since the dealers around here (Portland, OR) are advertising around 2500 below MSRP for 2.5i Limiteds.

But it is still not really possible to say if you got a good deal overall because you traded in your old car. Did they lowball the trade? Would they have given you the same price on the new car if you hadn't traded? It is difficult to compare car deals that involve trade ins, extended warranties and financing since there are several places for the dealers to take their profit.
  • pokyjonespokyjones Member Posts: 1
    With the 2013 model redesign & end of year approaching, any sense if Suburu will be offering rebates on the outback soon? When is best time to buy year end model this summer?
    I'm wondering the same thing. For me, I'd need to save at least $2000 to get me to buy a 2012 instead of waiting for a 2013. So far, I don't see that in my area. I don't think that Subaru has offered rebates in the past few years. In past purchases (a 2005, and a 2001 model year Outback and a 2007 Forester), I saved a lot by buying the outgoing model year. I was keeping an eye on the prices last year and I didn't see great deals on the outgoing model year. I'm guessing we won't see rebates this year either.

I have bought several cars Memorial day weekend. I have found that to be a good time in the past. I've bought from the loss leader ads in the paper.
  • vivibearvivibear Member Posts: 1
    I just got a quote about 2.5i premier outback with all weather package yesterday (New England).
    MSRP: 27,670
    Selling: 24,800
    Is that a good deal?
    Looks good to me! With a rough calc, that looks to be over a grand under invoice.
  • hayeshsuehhayeshsueh Member Posts: 1
    i got my outback last weekend.
    MSRP:34434
    Invoice: 31982
    OTD: 30434 + TTL
    I got mine last Monday.

MSRP: 31,687 (Limited 2.5i with moonroof, no navigation)
    Price: 28,388 (somewhere around that)
    Included: Free oil changes for life, and they added side mouldings, puddle lights, and a cargo net.

But, I did trade in two vehicles, which might have influenced the deal.