Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Outback Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• buddynhbuddynh Member Posts: 2
    My mother in law is planning on buying a '13 Outback Limited Premium 3.6 with moonroof, heated seats, navigation etc. She is going in for a test drive on Wednesday (2 days) to a dealership she bought her current Outback limited from. It is a '00. She is going to deal with the same sale man and is convince he is the most honest guy on the face of the planet and will sell her the car as cheaply as he is allowed to. I know she will sign a deal at or even well above invoice if I don't help her out. Financing won't be a issue as she just received a large inheritance and is planning on paying cash. Any advice on what I should advise her to pay(hopefully below invoice)?
  • longo2longo2 Member Posts: 347
    Best you can do is go with her and look like you know what you are doing when it comes time to make the deal.....someone on this forum said the rule of thumb is 10% less than MSRP.

Not too hard to figure out that one, and if she is using inheritance funds, then great, lay on the options and have fun picking the colors!
  • buddynhbuddynh Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. I'm going with here tomorrow. She does't like stressful situations. And I'm sure she's be happy to pay MSRP if I didn't go with here. I just don't want to see her get screwed.

This is the one she wants- http://www.edreillysubaru.com/new/Subaru/2013-Subaru-Outback-16ecce4e0a0d048e014- 45d283a3b7d6b.htm

I'll post what she ends up paying for it when we're done.
  • longo2longo2 Member Posts: 347
    Looks like a great Loaded up Outback, with even the big engine! She will have the Boss OB for sure.

My guestimate on your purchase price will wind up a little under the $34,000 mark. (plus the usual ttl's and Lord know what else they will try and stick you with)

Good Luck and be strong!
  • samyjsamyj Member Posts: 2
    I have a quote for the following vehicle in the CT/MA/NJ area. Does this sound like a fair deal?

I am looking for Outback 2.5i Limited (PZEV) with:
    1) options: Moonroof/NAV/EyeSight
    2) accessories: Rear setback protectors, body side moldings, splash guards, wheel arch moldings, moonroof air deflector

Out the door price: 33,240
    Car: 30,909
    Doc/Title Prep: 249
    Tax: 1962
    Plates: 120
  • eastbayflyereastbayflyer Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2012
    I have gotten a lot of useful information from this forum and feel that now I should give something back.

I just bought a 2013 Outback Limited with moonroof, rear seat protector, rear bumper protector and splash guards (Package 04) for $27,500 plus TTL. The dealer is Livermore Subaru in northern California.

I emailed several dealers with my exact requirements; turned out most of them had the one in stock. After that it was just a matter of finalizing the price. I negotiated the deal over email. First time had a phone or in person contact was yesterday when I went to sign the papers and pick up the car. They had offered me the going financing promotion (0.9% for 48 months) but I got a better rate (0.49%) through my credit union.

The transaction went very smoothly. They had the car ready and did not try to upsell me at all. I did have to wait 20 minutes for the finance guy to process my paperwork since he was with another customer. But overall it was a very positive experience thanks to the power of Internet.

Good luck.
  • gopeygopey Member Posts: 17
    You, sir have received one of the best deals that I have read...so far.

Can you please tell me the name of the dealer? I live in Portland Oregon and perhaps I can find a way to have it shipped here.

Thanks
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    From eastbayflyer's message: The dealer is Livermore Subaru in northern California. :)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • JPhamJPham Member Posts: 148
    I'm getting similar quotes from dealers on the Peninsula (Northern CA) as well.

I'm trying to decide between a 2.5 and 3.6 Limited. I'm getting these quotes:

2.5 Limited w/moonroof and a few minor accessories: $27.6 (MSRP $32.1, invoice: $29.9)

3.6 Limited w/moonroof and a few minor accessories: $29.9 (MSRP $34.8, invoice: $32.3)

It looks pretty good to me. Anyone have any luck getting just the base 3.6 (with or w/o moonroof)?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    H6, H6!
    Yes, in the end, I went with the H6 limited. It was quieter than the 2.5 and that power is too hard to resist.

Putnam Subaru and Serramonte Subaru both had similar pricing for anyone in Northern CA. I went with the guy closest to home. In and out, no tricks, no hard sell, 1.9% financing, TT&L and $80 doc fee is all. Ping me if you need more info.
    Congrats, a great car for under 30k, hard to do nowadays.
  • zindermanzinderman Member Posts: 3
    I'm almost commited to a new Subaru. Never owned one. Looking at the 3.6 with special appearance package. One thing i'm a bit hesitant with is the keyless starter. I'm coming from a BMW and am really fearful of all the electronic gizmos that can fail, especially when it comes to starting the car. But I really love the saddle brown leather. Anyone have an opinion on the reliability of the keyless starter. I know it is new for Subaru, but I guess i wonder what is involved in one and what could possibly/likely fail.
  • unkownuserunkownuser Member Posts: 23
    Pretty sure the question doesn't have to do with prices paid.

So let me make sure this posting is apropos:

Just picked up a new 2013 Outback 3.6R Limited with Moonroof and seatback protector and cargo net and flaps and mats and remote start.

Full Mulroney = 35,230

Paid 30,900. (Add 250.00 "fee" + 35.00 title + sales tax)

Emailed local dealers around northern Ohio, found what I liked in stock and started email (and a few phone) negotiations.
  • cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    I have had the keyless ignition in a Hyundai Sonata, a Kia Sorento and a VW Beetle and all have worked without fail. Once you use it, it's tough to go back to an FOB w/key. I've gotten used to keeping the "key" in my pocket and using the handle button to get in and out and the button to start the car. I'm looking to buy a 2013 Outback and would buy the SAP just for the keyless feature since it is something I would use every time I use the car, as opposed to the moonroof that is used only occasionally.
    Let me ask something ... if you have keyless entry/start and the car battery dies or your key fob battery dies, does that mean you are completely locked out of the car? Is there a manual way to unlock?
    They have back-up keys for both the doors and ignition that fit inside the FOB.
  • zindermanzinderman Member Posts: 3
    Can you please tell me how this back-up key would work to start the ignition? Does it override the start/stop switch?
  • cliffpozcliffpoz Member Posts: 71
    2 dealers in my area (ny) are saying there is no manufacturer support on the outback yet people on this forum are getting deals well below invoice. What is the real story - are the dealers not being truthful?
  • radiowave3radiowave3 Member Posts: 2
    The special appearance package includes a remote fob that has a metal key that will unlock the drivers/passengers door in the event that the the remote will not unlock the car or the battery in the fob is dead. Note this key will not start the car as there is no slot in which to insert the key. To start the car in the event that the battery is dead the fob must be placed touching the push button start switch and once the car validates the code in the fob the push button will turn green and the car will start.

Note that the transponder in the fob will be interrogated by the car and does not require power if it is placed very near the push button switch. The battery in the fob only extends the range.

A rather innovative idea.
    That is innovative!! The others cars I know that have pushbutton start do have a slot for the key and then you push the button after inserting the key.
  • scooter76scooter76 Member Posts: 1
    Wow, congratulations on the great deal! Would you mind sharing the dealership you worked with?

We're also in the Twin Cities and are currently negotiating for a 2013 2.5i.

Thanks.
  • nyaz1nyaz1 Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2012
    Hello, I know that most people want to feel like they got a great deal. Most of the postings I read about the purchase OTD purchase price show AMAZING savings off the MSRP. WAY under dealer invoice for 2013 Outbacks even as early as June 2013 before end of the year clearances. Are dealers really cutting into their profits to get rid of these highly rated cars? Is there such a superfluous inventory of Outbacks just sitting on their lots? Or are people really getting these deals? I really hope so. I know no one wants to feel like a sucker or a fool but I really want to make sure that these are facts being posted here and not just egos.

I wanted to ask if I really got a good deal with my purchase and would appreciate a honest answer. I looked at Consumer Reports, Edmunds, and TrueCar to get the dealer's invoice pricing and "good" pricing. I sent out emails to ALL the Fleet Managers what I was looking for. Looked at their inventory to see how much room I had for negotiating. I had narrowed it down to the 2.5i Limited in Ice Silver, Venetian Red, Crystal Black Silica or Graphite Gray Metallic. I only wanted the Moonroof Package.

Now I live in AZ now and the taxes are ridiculous!!!! It ranges from ~8.8-9.1% tax. So on $30,000 I am already paying a minimum of $2,640 in just TAXES. So all four dealerships gave me prices between $28,992-$29,700. This was below the prices from the websites previously mentioned. I compared their tax rates, Doc fees, License & Registration, and miscellaneous BS charges like VTR, etc.
    2013 Subaru Limited 2.5i
    PRICE: $29,641.20 Moonroof Package, Remote start, Rear Bumper, cargo nets for the back & sides
    $369 Doc Fee (This dealer had the cheapest one out of all four dealerships. It is pre-printed into their contract.)
    $510 DMV Fees
    $2,608 TAXES!!!!>.<

TOTAL PRICE: $33,128

Did anyone in AZ get a better price? And to those who were able to get a better price, congratulations! I am a little envious but happy for you...:-)

Is the Body Side Moulding, Rear Bumper corner Mouldings, and Moonroof Air Deflector worth purchasing?

THANKS!
    Hi. I just purchased a Subaru Limited Standard package for $26366 + TTL. I took an 7/70000 Subaru extended warranty for $1000 with the option of cancelling within 30 days if I choose.

Is $1000 a good deal for an extended warranty thru Subaru?

Thanks
    Someone else was just quoted $1500.
    Whoops. I meant "$27366"
  • nyaz1nyaz1 Member Posts: 2
    If it's the Gold Plus Warranty then you got an amazing deal!

Congratulations. I am officially jealous! LOL
  • cwstreescwstrees Member Posts: 1
    Can I know where dealer is and the contact information? I am looking for a 2013 Outback. I locate in Philadelphia. Thank you very much.
    I am on the opposite side of the country from Philadelphia. I am sure you can find dozens of dealers within 100 miles of your location. I would reccommend to contact multiple Internet managers and pick the best deal combined with a trustworthy dealership

Good luck!
    As far as great deals, I think it depends on what part of the country you live in. In the Northwest where I live Subarus tend to cost a bit more ($500) compared to Northern California?

I feel that some price postings are true. However, I do think other postings are a bit skewed because they had a trade in vehicle. As part of their buying process, dealers are known to give you a "fantastic" deal on the new car but make up for it by giving you less on your trade in.

For myself, I felt that the dealerships I went to were not giving me a fair price for my trade in vehicle. I decided to take the car to other dealerships (not Subaru) and see if they were interested in buying the car outright.

I sold my car to a dealer that actually paid above my target price I had in mind. After selling the vehicle I made an appointment with a Subaru dealer that I agreed to a set price thru Internet sales. And, I bought a brand new Outback.

By contacting several dealers and doing extra leg work on selling my vehicle, I came out $2500 ahead compared to my first dealership's "final " offer on trade in/ purchase of the Outback. Thank goodness I walked away from that encounter. What a blessing!

I hope this info helps.
  • buyabuya Member Posts: 74
    Hmm..so the fob is completely dead but the ignition button can still detect it? I'm trying to get a no fuss reliable people mover that is not european, and I'm looking at a 2013 OB H6. The thing is there're lots of complaints about Subaru cars. Like the alarm set off will cause the car to quit starting 2 days later, transmission problems, some kind of gasket leak, pipes problems, etc. and on top of it mpg is not that great from gov.org, manufacturer support is not commendable, and repair cost is high. If I want no mfg supports, high repair costs and lots of annoying problems from a car, I can continue to drive european.

But what would be a good price for a 2013 OB H6 OTD? That is what you got? what car price, all fees, and taxes in dollar and rate? Thanks.
  • EastBayDriverEastBayDriver Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2013
    Hi- My first post here. I have found these forums very helpful, but we just bought our first new car in 12 years. We bought on 12/31. Anyway, new to us is:

2013 Outback Limited
    Moonroof package
    A few other plastic things added
    MSRP: about $32,200
    Paid: $27,400 (before tax, title, registration)

Dealer: Putnam Subaru in Burlingame, CA. Salesman was Adil.

Emailed all of the dealers in the Bay Area, and found a range of about $2K. We did not trade our old car, so this pricing doesn't reflect a trade.

Happy shopping. So far, we are really enjoying the car.
  • vtkahnsvtkahns Member Posts: 10
    wow.. I paid $27K 11/30 for a 2.5i premimum / mooroof / pzev (all are in N Amer I think now ) so these deals make me feel really crappy. The sales manager made me feel like I was killing his first born.. I knew we could get to $26.5K 400 miles away but that was as low as I ever found.. Clearly I'm in the wrong area.
  • jacksan1jacksan1 Member Posts: 504
    Sorry about not having gotten back to you sooner. The dealership is Walser Subaru in Burnsville, Minnesota. Their price is "what you see is what you get," meaning that they do not negotiate. The price we received was also on this basis.
  • sayhey2sayhey2 Member Posts: 3
    Outback 2.5i Premium with All-Weather and Option Package 1B - $26,600 plus tax and title - purchased in Queens, NY.
  • seanuseanu Member Posts: 7
    Thats not a bad price at all. I paid 27,300 for the same car. I was being picky about the color and the dealer had to get one from another location. I got a few additional items like the wheel well arches, seat back protectors and side moldings. I was a little miffed because the only reason we got a moon roof was because we wanted the backup camera. . I think the premium + awp is the best bang for the buck. Moonroof, Leather, HK + nav are where they are making a big profit.
  • sayhey2sayhey2 Member Posts: 3
    There are no current incentives - but you can still shop - I went to 4 dealers and there was a $1785 difference between the high and low offers (2.5i premium with all-weather and option pkg 1b).
  • jacksan1jacksan1 Member Posts: 504
    edited January 2013
    I do not now whether you are still looking for an Outback, but Walser Subaru has this one listed:

2.5i Premium CVT with AWP and Moonroof Package for $24,998

A tad under $25,000 for a 2.5i Premium with the AWP and Moonroof Package seems like an amazingly good deal. And as always with this dealership, this is the price (no negotiation).
  • paighdrowpaighdrow Member Posts: 1
    This week I purchased an 2013 2.5 Limited Moonroof/NAV/Eyesight from a dealer in Atlanta. The car had some small accessory add-ons. MSRP was 34,500 before the add-ons. I paid $31,500.

This is my first Subaru and the fourth car I've purchased from a dealer. With my other three car buying experiences I was able to really beat up the dealers. My negotiations have lasted as long as two weeks over a single car. This was completely different. Over the 10 day process of finding the car I wanted and arranging financing I noticed that every car I was interested in would sell just after I would get my quote (online). It eventually became very difficult to actually find the car I wanted in the Atlanta area.

My takeaway from this is that Subaru's (or possibly just Outbacks) appear to really sell themselves. I might have been able to shave off a couple extra hundred $$ off my purchase price. However, at the end of the day I feel good about what I paid. The dealer provided great customer service and really fought for my business. I hope they made some $$$. One thing is for sure -- I am a happy first time Outback owner.

Thanks to everyone who posted on this board. This was a great research tool.
  • mlx_johnmlx_john Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

Traded in a 2007 Camry Hybrid (they gave me my target price after some discussion).

2013 2.5i Outback Premium (auto CVT) with all weather package and package 1A (bumper guard/alloy wheel lock kit/splash guards/auto dim mirror with compass) for $25,500 before TTL.

Very happy with the car and buying experience (Galles & Davis Subaru in Albuquerque)
    Congrats.

Ever go up to Taos? I'm sure the AWD will come in handy. Often.
  • mlx_johnmlx_john Member Posts: 2
    Yes, Angel Fire as well (mountain biker). My two kids have just started skiing (I forgot how much fun it is/it's been years).
    It was actually a recent ski trip that led to us getting the outback.
    We went to Red River NM. For the weekend in the Camry. An unexpected snowstorm rolled through and the road conditions were pretty bad for a bit. We decided that since we are going to be skiing more often (Sandia Ski Area is 45 minutes away, Santa Fe is hour and a half) and we also likevto camp/backpack every year, it was time to get a more capable vehicle. After some research and test drives of numerous AWD vehicles, the Subaru was the obvious choice.
    I like my Sienna, don't get me wrong, but it's not good in the snow. Traction control only gets in the way, I usually turn it off.

Better yet, I steal the keys for my wife's Forester. :shades:
  • retired_happyretired_happy Member Posts: 1
    Samyi, I found this very interesting. I am currently negotiating with a dealer for the same vehicle and they are not close to this offer.
    I was wondering if you ever pulled the trigger on this deal and the dealer honored it. If so, how are you enjoying the car and, in particular, the eyesight features.
    Finally, would you be willing to share the name and location of your dealer. Thanks for any information you can provide.
  • dogscadogsca Member Posts: 5
    I just want to thank Edmunds.com on their internet pricing through their Premier Dealers. Very simple process. I received pricing from five dealers within a 60 mile radius of the bay area on Sunday and it was well worth it. Just purchasd a white 2013 Outback Limited 2.5 with SAP, list $34,159 and best price was $29,705 which included destination. Other dealers told me they could not touch it so I think the deal was decent. Financed a small portion at .9%. Price was about $500 less than Truecar.com.

Great reviews and advice on this forum. We look forward to driving our first Subaru this Saturday when we pick it up.
  • gilangilan Member Posts: 5
    Hi dogsca
    Can you please provide the dealer's name?
    Was this their first offer or did you have to negotiate further?
    Thx
  • dogscadogsca Member Posts: 5
    Sure Gilan, the dealer is Carlsen Subaru in Redwood City and Larry is their internet guy.

The offer was their first and I had no trade in. The next closest price was $30,651. I went in at noon and left at around 1pm with all the paperwork done. Very simple process.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    That's about a thousand under invoice, so excellent deal. Congratulations on the new car!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • daveylidaveyli Member Posts: 1
    Hi,paighdrow
    Could you please let me know the dealer's name?
    BTW, $31,500 is out of door price? If so, that's amazing, please let me know, thanks!
  • nurselisanurselisa Member Posts: 3
    Hello EastBayFlyer,

I too am about to purchase the exact same vehicle(2.5 Limited) that you purchased down to PKG #4. I did not receive the same quote so I have a question. Did you have a trade in or put any money down? The quote I received was $28683 + Fees. I live in the East Bay as well.

Thank you,
    Lisa