Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Outback Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• beafokbeafok Member Posts: 14
    I'm in Ohio. Just purchased a 2013 Outback 2.5i Premium w/All-Weather & Popular Package #1B, plus two small items (about $150 worth). Paid $25,250 + TTL.

I felt that maybe I could gotten a little bit more if I didn't have a trade. I think it was a fair deal, since I ended up getting an OK increase on the price of my trade, which helps lowering the tax cost.

prior to the negotiation, I really didnt have much driving experience with Outback, just read some good reviews from internet. Now the more I drove, I really felt in love with it. And I would be fine paying a thousand more on this baby.
  • scouchscouch Member Posts: 2
    In North Carolina. Just purchased a 2013 Outback 2.5i Premium w/ All-Weather & Popular Package #1A plus two small items (also about $150). Paid $24,696 + TTL (out the door under $26k).

Used Edmunds to get internet quotes. Then called up the best quotes, asked some questions, they offered an additional discount over the phone. No other dealers could match it. Went in, test drove, did the paperwork - incredibly easy. If your near Raleigh, Call Sean at Southern States Subaru.

If it matters, we financed a small part, paid part in cash, and got a $1600 trade-in for a 2001 Subaru Outback.

Hope this helps - highly recommend using the internet for a few days of comparison shopping/emailing/etc. after you've decided which vehicle you want.
  • scouchscouch Member Posts: 2
    I meant to add to the above - the $24,696 was before the trade-in; the price after a trade-in was $23,096.
  • bitch_cakesbitch_cakes Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2013
    2.5 Premium PZEV, all weather package, all weather mats, protectors, lock kit, cargo nets, bumper kit, etc. DMV, destination= $25,600 + tax.
    + $45 title, $230 registration, $10 inspection, $12 tire
    in westchester, ny.

Got good offers through consumer reports in Jersey and Ct.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Good deal, congrats. I bet people are paying more for XVs.
  • divinewinddivinewind Member Posts: 4
    edited April 2013
    San francisco bay area.
    Just bought a 2013 outback 2.5 Limited (no moonroof)
    Paid $26,XXX for vehicle, $29,XXX OTD (includes all taxes, dmv fees, etc).
    finance 1.9% for 5 years

1) I sent internet quote requests to various dealerships in the bay area, and narrowed down to Capitol and Livermore
    2) Ended up buying at Livermore bc offered best price. Sales was Ahmed, good guy, no BS, no games, nice and easy for both parties. Just tell him a young guy bought from him earlier this month and recommended his services.
    3) Saw the 2014 forester, it looks very nice, but I already made up my mind for the Outback.

just a quick recap of strategy used:
    1) visit dealership test drive, find out the exact vehicle,trim, color you want (let them know you will buy soon but not today)
    2) Use edmunds online quote request for a 5-7 dealerships w/in your area
    3) Narrow down to 2/3 dealerships, provide them your county tax rate and ask for OTD price. Let them know you will buy within the next couple weeks, and price is the determining factor since you already know which vehicle you want. *emphasize to them this could be their easiest sale in a while.
    4) Agree price on phone/email, no need to renegotiate in your second visit. let them know first sign of BS, you will walk out to other dealership (be nice and firm)
    5) on purchasing date, call them ahead of time to request them to wash the vehicle and fill up the gas tank. At the dealereship, let them know you will give them a good review online/subaru and will recommend their services if anyone complements your vehicle.

Thanks everyone for all the insight.
    Enjoy the journey.
    Congrats.

AutoBlog just tested an Audi allroad quattro, the new A4-based model, and the sticker on that was over $50k!

You paid HALF!
  • divinewinddivinewind Member Posts: 4
    edited April 2013
    ateixeira, just figured out you are a moderator and work for Edmunds ;)
    you are so fake..
    just like the rest of your colleagues...nyaz1, cwstrees, etc.

Edmunds has many fake' profiles [who work for them] to increase feel good' factor and encourage people to buy...they probably get incentives from the the internet quote requests, and also increase Edmund's marketing/popularity...

will stop using Edmunds.
    Come to an auto show and meet other members in person, including some of the mods. Last time we got some nice tchotchkes.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    Some nice what?!

Interesting and unexpected turn this conversation took..... :?
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Freebies, swag. We got Edmunds T-shirts and some other stuff.

Plus it's cool to put faces to names. And if anyone thinks we're a figment of someone's imagination they can see for themselves that they're wrong.
  • fenway68fenway68 Member Posts: 4
    edited April 2013
    Picking up my Outback (white) 2.5i with "Special Appearance Package" (Saddle brown leather, nav, HK stereo/bluetooth, sat, all weather pkg, moonroof etc)

extras: body side molding, all weather mats, mud flaps and a license plate protector

before tax and trade: $30,999 (incl destination), about $200-400 lower than here on edmunds

getting $2200 for my 2002 Pathfinder with 156k (great shape except for needs tire/brakes and $3500 of other mechanical work read:aprox $5000)

they add on $395 for registration and paperwork stuff
    I turned down VIN etching ($189) and Wheel locks ($99)

financing about 1/2 at 0.9%

Comments?

oh I am in Fairfield County CT near NY
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    Hilarious!

Wait.... are you serious?

Okay, even more hilarious!

Geez....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

My out the door price with tax and dealer fee/ DMV registration was $32,214

Only glitch was they initially had me at 2.9% financing or 60 mos instead of the special 0.9% for 48, they said miscommunication, but they fixed it, as I was about to walk out, they were nice about it.. Also didn't seem too happy that I turned down the extended warrantee and prepaid service...too bad...
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    Sounds like a good deal! I like that special appearance package. It can't surprise those dealers too much that buyers don't want to fork over tons of money on all those extras.

If you change your mind later on, you can get the extended warranty all the way up to the end of the 3/36, and often for about 50% of what the selling dealer wants. As an example, the 7/100 with zero deductible can be had for $1500 or less.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • longo2longo2 Member Posts: 347
    "great shape, except for needs tire/brakes and $3500 of other mechanical work read:aprox $5000"

WOW, I would hate to buy a used car off you that you said, "needs a little work!"
  • plsntnplsntn Member Posts: 1
    Going to be picking up my 2013 Outback Premium with following options from Livermore subaru:

2013 Outback 2.5i Premium CVT
    Ice Silver Metallic
    Dark Gray
    All-Weather Package
    Heated Front Seats, Windshield Wiper
    De-Icer, Heated Side Mirrors
    Power Moonroof
    Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror w/
    Integrated Rear Vision Camera &
    Homelink
    Rear Bumper Cover
    Splash Guards
    Security Sys Shock Sensor

$23,189 + tax +DMV

How did I do?
    That's a lot of gear for $23k....
  • kfx2005kfx2005 Member Posts: 6
    good to know
  • kfx2005kfx2005 Member Posts: 6
    would you mind tell me how did you do?
  • justlooking23justlooking23 Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking to purchase pretty much the exact set-up. I'm not sure how you negotiated that pricing, but does anyone know what the trends are for when the next model comes out? When do the 2014 Outbacks come out?
  • mknappmknapp Member Posts: 13
    I just got a quote for a White 2013 Limited with SAP....MSRP $34,456 and I have two quotes within $150 of eachother. Lowest is $30, 116. :shades:

I'm trying to get a price match from my local dealer but nothing so far. The quotes are about a 2.5 hour drive from me, but worth saving about $1000 for the next lowest quote.
    Sounds like a great price, don't know what kind of dealer add ins your quotes have, but that would make all the difference. Get the one that has what you want. I did not want puddle lights, so I went for the one that had what I wanted. It happened to be at the dealer closest to home and work, so it was worth it. Make sure you get an out the door price from everyone before you trek 2.5 hrs, would be a waste if they bait and switch you with dealer fees.

What part of the country are you in?
  • photomel1photomel1 Member Posts: 1
    NW - Oregon.
  • terpfan73terpfan73 Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2013
    Just purchased 2014 Outback 3.6R Limited with Special Appearance Package, cargo nets, all weather floor mats,and splash guards. List $37,100. Paid $32,573. Happy with the deal love the car. Was advised by dealer that in 2015 SAP with be packaged with EyeSight and not available on its own. Purchased in San Jose, CA. Finance 0% for 4 years. How did I do?
    Congrats man that is one cool ride. :shades:
  • oob2oob2 Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2013
    The car you are describing is a 30k + MSRP. You need to show us how much the trade was to get it to the $23,189 price. How much was the dealer price before your trade in because you obviously did not get $7000 off MSRP. My 2013 Outback Premium had an MSRP of $28,306 and my price was $25,300 before my trade and $14,000 after my trade plus TTL.
  • motif1motif1 Member Posts: 1
    I went to IRA Subaru in Danvers, MA over the weekend and negotiated the offer displayed here:
    Invoice Page.
    The salesman told me he would sell me the car for $1500 under the invoice price. I tried to negotiate further to no avail.
    The next day I went to Clay Subaru and they beat IRA's price by $200 with an $24,800 offer but they told me that the $800 would be extra. I am not sure if IRA's offer included the destination fee... What do you think?

Thanks!
    This is the exact car I just bought including the color. The only difference is I have bodyside moldings and autodim mirror with compass also included. I emailed within 150 miles and the best deal I got was very close to Ira's deal at a dealer 25 minutes from my house in South Portland, Maine. They told me that they price aggresive on emails because they only have one shot at it.The dealer 5 minutes from my house was alot more and they gave me every excuse why they could not go lower. I would take Ira's deal because Clay would be $600 more by the time they add $800. Also Subaru has 0% financing till the end of the month for 48 months. Don't let some of the prices you see on this forum fool you because some are not including their trade and I'm sure other factors. I could have gotten a little better deal on a Limited but it had features I was not interested in and still would have been alot more. I think the Outback Premium is the best value for features in their lineup. They make bigger profits on the jack upped big ticket options.
  • justlooking23justlooking23 Member Posts: 2
    If you guys aren't using Truecar, you should be. I used it to guide my negotiations (and expectations) when I purchased my Outback two weeks ago in Northern California.

I walked out with a Premium with Moonroof (MSRP 29,811 - I think), for 25,200 + $40 docs, $270 reg, and about $2k sales tax. I really didn't want to pay that much, but with the 48 months - 0% and the time I had spent researching, I just gave in. Still can't complain for the price.
    edited May 2013
    Truecar was over $600 more then I paid in Maine and was cheaper then Ma dealers. I looked up True car for Northern California and their prices were $24800 for my car. It seems Truecar is $1100 cheaper in your area. The problem in the Northeast is I believe there is a family that has had the ditribution rights since Subaru came to US and all cars go thru them and prices are higher here plus there are more dealers in California so it is a much more competitive market.
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    13 OB ltd with package 28 (roof/nav/eyesight) with body side mouldings, all weather mats, rear seat protector, splash guards, bumper cover 29463 before TTL (includes delivery). Got 0% also.
    Also got 7/100/0 gold added security for 1500 (list is 2996)
  • jrf7jrf7 Member Posts: 3
    Hello,

The current financing offer of 0%/48 months expires today, correct? Does anyone know what incentives will be replacing this one? Do they usually announce the next one right away?

Thanks for any feedback.
  • the_calvinthe_calvin Member Posts: 4
    2013 Outback 3.6R Limited w/ EyeSight, Navigation, Moonroof, Popular Package #2 for $32,300+dealer fees ($200) + tax $~975 + tags + registration

0% for 48 months

Got it from Sharrett Subaru in Maryland. Good people.
  • scorpion3scorpion3 Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

Can you send me the name of the person from the Livermore Subaru that you worked with? Thanks in advance.
  • dreamoutbackdreamoutback Member Posts: 2
    Hi All,

I live in NH. I got a 2013 outback 2.5i pzev premium with moon roof package , splash guards, auto dimming compass mirror for $26000 0 % financing for 48 months , lifetime inspection. How did I do ?
  • dmuzykadmuzyka Member Posts: 31
    Got a 2013 Limited SAP (roof, nav, brown leather, keyless) with moldings, splash guards, front tint, and trailer hitch for $30k plus ttl. While I'm sure I could have done better, I was impressed by the dealer - a family-owner place 70 miles away. Calm, relaxed, highly knowledgeable about the product. There are four dealers closer to me but again, this one really impressed me. 0%/48 months is still going on until July 1; I went with .9% for 60.
  • rocker1584rocker1584 Member Posts: 12
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you need to get your facts straight.

Are you sure you don't have a 2013 Outback 3.6R Limited SAP?

The 2014 Outback 3.6R Limited SAP includes Eyesight, whereas the 2013 SAP does not. The 2015 will be gen-5 so it will be totally different from the 13-14.

You should clarify your purchase information. Misinformation is a major hindrance when researching a serious purchase like a new car.

Thanks.
    edited June 2013
    I'm in the process of ordering a 2014 Outback 3.6R Limited SAP.

The 2013 Outback 3.6R Limited SAP does NOT have Eyesight, but the 2014 Outback 3.6R Limited SAP does.

I found a dealer who hit my price target of $33,500 (which includes $265 doc fee) out the door (out of state so no TTL). I got them to throw in remote start ($369) as a bonus.

According to cars101.com, MSRP is $37,960. With everything at full price (not that anyone pays fulls price), it would come to nearly $38,600 -- a difference of $5100.

Would love to hear from anyone else who's ordered the same vehicle.
    Can you please specify whether this was the 2.5 or 3.6? I'm guessing it's the 2.5 based on the 30K figure but let us know to confirm. I'd be blown away if you got the 3.6 Limited SAP for 30K.
    Don't be blown away. It was the 2.5...
    edited June 2013
    Followup on my ordering process...

I planned to self-install an aftermarket hitch, but I talked myself into the OEM tow hitch (non-OEM hitch invalidates warranty) and got it for +$400, so total will be 33,900 (no TTL).
    Some dealers want over $800 for the hitch + installation. Tow hitch MSRP = $557 ~ Remote start MSRP = $450

It basically worked out to over $5,000 off MSRP (over $2700 below dealer cost).

2014 Outback 3.6R Limited SAP + hitch + remote start, for under 34K is a great deal.
    Note: This took me weeks of research, and hours of negotiating.
    Actually, 2300+ below dealer cost would be more accurate. Not 2700.
    Sorry for the misinformation :confuse: :blush:
  • magdalene76magdalene76 Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2013
    32750 + 1500 tax... including navi, moonroof, mats, splashguard, rear seat protector, puddle lights, mirror with homelink, rear camera, bumper cover, keyless start, usb, bluetoth
    Does that price sounds OK?
    edited June 2013
    32K would be a better deal, IMO, if you go with the 13. Just gotta squeeze the right dealer. The 14s are hitting lots now.

I ordered a 14 3.6R Limited + SAP (which has EyeSight, unlike the 13) + remote start and hitch for not much more than that.

Things to take into account with the 13 SAP: No EyeSight, slightly more depreciation than the 14, and in your case no remote start or hitch. I would spend the extra grand or so and get the 14.

Here's the same thing that I ordered ~ 14 3.6R Limited SAP (Deep Indigo):
    http://postimg.org/gallery/c5g3qm0s/2c336631/
    Problem is this is the only one in state and dealer took it off inventory so no other dealership can bid on it.
    Also I plan to keep it until it's dead just like my last car and I don't want eyesight... kind of like to have full control of the car even if I crash god forbid...
    edited June 2013
    Just order one from whatever dealer (in or out of state) can do it the cheapest, and just wait the 6-8 weeks for it to be delivered. This way you get exactly what you want for a good price.

If you want the 13 then 32K should be doable on what you described.

Pays to be patient :)
  • jhelgesonjhelgeson Member Posts: 1
    End of May got a 3.6r Limited w/moon roof (and weather package), side molding, puddle lights, and stuff like bumper protector and back of rear seat protector. Had a mirror with a compass put on. No Nav, SAP or Eyesight. The 2014 were on the way. $31,000 plus TTL.
    Subaru sent out a $500 coupon today to folks who (I guess) inquired about Outbacks recently. Good until July 1.