Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Subaru Outback Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited May 2015 in Subaru
For current leasing information, go to 2015 Subaru Outback Lease Questions

For current Pricing information, go to 2015 Subaru Outback Prices Paid

Welcome to Edmunds discussion dedicated to 2014 Subaru Outback purchase experiences. If you have recently purchased a 2014 Outback, please share your experience here. If you have leasing questions, please visit 2014 Subaru Outback Lease Questions discussion.

You can also research local dealer inventory and get pricing, reviews, features, and specifications on our 2014 Subaru Outback page.

To see all forums discussions about the Subaru Outback, including earlier model years, please visit our list of Subaru Outback discussions.

Navigation tips: To see the most recent information and activity, make sure to visit the latest post, which may be a few pages ahead. Click the pages numbers just below to go to a new page in the discussion -- or search the entire discussion by clicking the magnifying glass icon and entering keywords.

We also invite you to share your purchase experience on Edmunds Facebook page, Share Your Story.

Comments

• dreammakerdreammaker Member Posts: 3
    I recently picked up my new 2014 Outback. Best price I've seen.

Moonroof Package + Navigation System w/ Aha Infotainment + EyeSight
    2014 Outback 2.5i Limited
    MSRP $34,802

Invoice $32,063

Sold for $30,289. + $164.30 Dealer fee for a total of $30,453.30 ($4,348.70 off MSRP)

I bought it out of state so I had to pay my tax and title fees separately after picking up the vehicle.

I priced it at several high volume dealers. This was the best.
  • barbinibarbini Member Posts: 1
    Where did you buy it?
  • dreammakerdreammaker Member Posts: 3
    Grand Subaru in Chicago.
  • stewpotstewpot Member Posts: 1
    I live in NH and just received a quote for a 2014 Outback 2.5i Limited SAP.

MSRP $35,443
    Dis. 2,662
    Sell $32,781 + Documentation Fees.

Is this a good deal or should I be able to get a lower price?

This is an opening bid.
  • dmuzykadmuzyka Member Posts: 31
    That's not bad for a '14! A '13 would go for about $3000 less, but no Eyesight and of course a year older car...
  • cinarodoncinarodon Member Posts: 2
    I got my 2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium w/All-Weather Pkg/Moonroof yesterday. Most of features are exact as yours.

I paid $25,750 plus tax and reg fee. I think it's a good deal for me.
  • billmachbillmach Member Posts: 2
    At 25,570 plus tax and fee. Is that with an automatic transmission? Also what state and dealer gave you such a good deal?
  • km1203km1203 Member Posts: 4
    Being offered 2014 Outback 2.5i Premium CVT
    Moonroof Package
    Power Moonroof, Auto-Dimming Rear
    View Mirror w/Homelink, Rear Vision
    Camera
    Rear Bumper Cover
    Splash Guards
    Floor Mats/All Weather/4
    Wheel Locks - Alloy Wheels
    MSRP 29,723
    Offer is 26,416 + $389 ttl

Should I do it while financing is .09?
  • rocker1584rocker1584 Member Posts: 12
    edited August 2013
    Get the 3.6R. It's a few thou more. 26 mpg, mix of city and highway, if you know how to drive it. You're already nearing 27k and this is something you'll enjoy for 5-10 years. It is so, so smooth and so much more enjoyable than a 4-cyl CVT. I can't stress that enough.

Get the SAP for another few thou. Push-button start is beautiful, and the extra features & style are brilliant. Find a dealer that will sell a '14 3.6R Limited + SAP for 33K + ttl...

I considered the 4-cyl CVT briefly but couldn't bring myself to spend nearly 30K for a mediocre product when the creme de la creme is just over 30K. Can't afford it? Then wait. Save up the difference. Buy it when you can afford it, and then it's done with. You won't regret it.
    I wish I could go up, but for a number of reasons, I can't right now. The price above that's closer to 25k is what I wanted, but the best I have been able to do in CO is 11% off MSRP. Is that ok?
    edited August 2013
    11% isn't bad on a 2.5i but if you insist on buying now, try for 12... or more extras.

The best I've heard of is 14-15% but that requires some patience and most likely was on a 3.6R. I hit around 13.5% on a loaded 3.6R.

I still say hold off though... If you can wait until spring when the 15 is expected for release, you'll get a great deal on a '14 3.6R.
    I bought it at 12% discount and made them come off the ridiculous $599 dealer fee to $499.
  • billmachbillmach Member Posts: 2
    What state are you located?
    In Colorado
  • cinarodoncinarodon Member Posts: 2
    It's an automatic transmission. I'm in Bay Area.
  • davidhanleydavidhanley Member Posts: 6
    I'm being quoted $24686 for a 2014 outback premium, all weather and convenience package. MSRP is $28124. So $3438 off sticker. I'm being given a pretty fair offer on my trade-in. Title fee $145, doc fe $164. Nothing else.
  • next2000next2000 Member Posts: 16
    Hi,
    Am in the market for the 2014 3.6R with nav and moonroof.

How's the cabin noise and handling.what about the nav , Bluetooth streaming- is it intuitive and easy to use ?

Is it comparable to a highlander or audi q5 ?

Thanks for your help.
    edited September 2013
    Really impressed with how quiet it is. One of the best things about it in my opinion.

Love the handling and the long, wide feel that goes with it, but some of this is personal preference and the real test is how consistent and reliable the handling will be over the years, and whether it will pose issues sooner or later.

Bluetooth is satisfactory but the system isn't quite modern. Cars always have outdated tech in this department though. Hands free phone is OK but you can't use your contacts list while driving (safety). Same goes with the Nav - can't use the keyboard while the car is moving. It's annoying but makes sense. Functionality is limited while driving so just remember to map things in advance and have numbers on speed dial. Pretty sure there are voice commands to extend functionality but haven't used them. The bluetooth music playback is basic but I'm pleased with it since it's the first vehicle I've had with this capability. Overall, BT and Nav could be better but they're OK...

Can't compare it to the Highlander or Audi Q5 but thus far I am very happy with my purchase. Not many people have Subarus in my area so it's nice to have something unique with good luxury at a comparatively good price. I got the special appearance package and I cannot imagine being without it now. I highly, highly recommend it. It is what sets the whole vehicle off. The Eyesight is a good safety system for the most part. Adaptive cruise is great for long highway trips. Lane departure is annoying sometimes but, as a driver that tends to get tired quickly, I know that it may come in handy someday. Pre-collision braking is only good for low speeds essentially so I have doubts about its overall usefulness, but it's nice to have for that one time you might slip up in a parking lot or in slow-moving traffic. Get the special appearance package! You want it.

I squeezed 26 MPG out of it at one point so I'm pleased, given the power and smoothness.
  • r8rcr8zr8rcr8z Member Posts: 9
    All,

I just wanted to share the info on what I was offered for a lease. Hope this helps others.

MSRP/Dealer Cost

Vehicle: 2014 Outback 3.6R Limited $32,095/$30,034
    Special Appearance Pkg: $5,040/$4,202

Dealer Installed Options:
    Rear Seat Back Protector: $82/$53
    Rear Bumper Underguard: $172/$111
    Splash Guards: $142/$92

Destination Charge: $825/$825

Total: $38,356/$35,317

Other Numbers: Dealer HB $1486 / FP: $220

Price Negotiated: $33,361 (13% off MSRP)

_________

Lease Info:

Term: 36 months / 12,000 miles
    Residual: 57% ($21,862.92)
    Money factor: 0.00133 (3.19% for credit over 690) - Chase buy rate
    Drive Off: $1,429.10 (includes: license $325, Bank Fee $595, Doc Fee: $80, First Month Payment: $429.10)

Monthly Base Payment: $393.67
    Tax (9%): $35.43
    Total Monthly Payment: $429.10
  • quantifirequantifire Member Posts: 21
    Sounds like an awesome deal. Can you share your location and the dealer you're working with?
  • r8rcr8zr8rcr8z Member Posts: 9
    Northern California (Bay Area).
    edited September 2013
    I just got a 2014 outback premium. Automatic, weather package, common options package. MSRP $28,690. Negotiated price $24,626. $150 doc fee, $150 to transfer the plates, nothing else. 4 year 0.9% financing, with my trade in (11,290) and the 9% taxes around here, $317/mo.
    Grand Subaru near chicago. I worked with Bill Nealis. Great experience.
  • ycart520ycart520 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know what incentives/deals Subaru will come out with in November? I'm looking at the 2014 Outback Premium or Limited. In San Diego, CA if that helps!!
  • ifontaineifontaine Member Posts: 24
    I would very much like to know this too. I've talked to a couple dealers this month who said sales were very soft (they supposed due to the Govt shutdown and potential federal default).
  • rman66rman66 Member Posts: 21
    FYI, I got a quote for $31K for the 2014 Subaru Outback with Nav Eyesight and Special appearance package, might go with it. MSRP is about $35K, the quote is approximately $1000 under Invoice. I will provide more detail later
  • rman66rman66 Member Posts: 21
    Slight correction to what I posted earlier..

Quote on Outback was -
    MSRP 35813
    Offered at $31977

I am going to try to negotiate it down some more.. worried about the appearance of driving a wagon but love all the versatility and fuel economy..
    having a hard time deciding between the OUtback and the LEgacy sedan
  • naomi0713naomi0713 Member Posts: 1
    MSRP is $25,620 (automatic transmission). What should I get it at (I am in NC) out the door after everything? I am hoping to get in the range of 23K total out the door. Is that possible? Thanks!
  • mrg341015mrg341015 Member Posts: 1
    I have been following this site for the past few months and want to give some feedback on my buying experience. I bought a 2014 Outback 3.6R, MSRP was $35,114, it came with the Option package 4, popular package #3, and puddle lights. It was a dealer demo, had 3,350 on it. I bought it for $29,817. I negotiated it over the internet which was a first, but the experience was great. I was looking to get a 11 to 13% off of MRSP new, but the dealer demo worked out well. I will say I am glad I got the 3.6, if you are at the upper 2.5 I would get the 3.6. I drove both and you can tell the power in the 3.6. You do lose MPG though. I will check the post for any question, the car seems great
  • artovtartovt Member Posts: 1
    Please share any negotiating tips. This is a great price. Over the internet, the best price I have received is $25,900. Thanks in advance!!
  • nyker1nyker1 Member Posts: 1

Folks,
    What do you think about this quote?
    2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium, automatic, in Tungsten Metallic with the all weather package included as well as all weather floor mats, rear seat back protector, rear bumper cover, splash guards, wheel arch moldings, and body side moldings.

The MSRP is $29,021 and discounted internet price would be $25,799 plus tax/DMV. Out the door price on this vehicle would be $27,702.43 including all fees and sales tax.

Comments Pls.

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,780

@nyker1

A sale price that is a shade under 89% of the MSRP... and you haven't bought it yet?!

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • elialucaelialuca Member Posts: 1

That's exactly what I'm looking for - mind telling me what dealer is giving you that quote?

• zeebzeeb Member Posts: 3

Sharing our experience buying an Outback on 3/15/2014 in the Twin Cities

Model: Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium with CVT and Moonroof package
    Year: 2014
    Condition: New
    Color: Indigo Pearl exterior, tan cloth interior
    Dealer: Walser Subaru in Burnsville
    Options: Moonroof package (includes rearview camera) and factory installed side body moldings (so basically nothing extra, just a 2.5i Premium with moonroof and CVT transmission)

MSRP: $29,561
    Sale Price: $26,292
    Final price: $26,042 - this included an extra $250 off Subaru coupon we got from the 2014 Twin Cities Auto Show
    Final Discount: 11.90% off MSRP

My sense is that the 2014 Outbacks are attracting good discounts because of the upcoming 2015 updated version. We got prices from 4 local dealerships, and these guys had the best pricing by far and best reviews on google.

No haggle experience, decent value for trade-in (2001 Golf with 107,000 miles in very good condition). Showed us 3 cars (different colors), test drove two cars, settled on the color and drove off in the new car 3 hours later. Highly recommend this dealership and Chasson, the sales associate who helped us.

Wife (primary driver - commuter car for her) very happy with purchase and overall experience.

Good luck all.
    -zee

We also got 0% financing for 36 months from Subaru. Obviously, this is credit score dependent.

Walser also threw in a "lifetime" powertrain warranty for "as long as you own the car". The factory warranty for powertrain is 5 years/60,000 miles. So if the original owner keeps the car for 10 years, then that's an additional 4 years of warranty from Walser. This could mean one or more of three things: (i) Walser wants to attract customers by giving an additional value perk, or (ii) Walser is so confident of the Subaru powertrain that it will not incur major costs backing up this insurance, or (iii) they're confident that the original owner will hate the so much before the factory warranty expires that they'll sell it, and thus the extended warranty expires before its ever used by the original owner :) In any event, I'm roughly estimating that the value of this extended warranty is around 300 bucks today.

• rossdmrossdm Member Posts: 56

Does anyone know if you can get the Saddle Brown leather with the Carbide Gray Metallic WITHOUT the Special Appearance Package? The configurators on both Subaru.com and here at Edmunds.com will let you select that combination without adding the SAP. But if I search dealer inventories far and wide, I can't find one with that color combination without the SAP. Thanks.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited April 2014

@r8rcr8z‌, would love to see a "real world" pic - please post one over in Reader's Rides. My '97 Outback is the first pic there. B)

Any other new owners, please post as well. Thanks!

• chicagobuyer5chicagobuyer5 Member Posts: 5

Looking to buy a 2015 Forester 2.5i premium w/ all weather package in the Chicago area. I used AARP Trucar pricing & was sent "Savings Certificates to dealers. The lowest price on the responses was $24,002 including destination but when I spoke to the internet rep I found out I would have to order the car with a deposit and wait 6-12 weeks. A second dealer's certificate price was $24, 889 . I spoke to that rep and I was told again at that price I'd have to order it. Then I emailed a third dealer for their internet price and got a price of $24906. for an in stock car.
    Any advice ?

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    For current leasing information, go to 2015 Subaru Outback Lease Questions

For current Pricing information, go to 2015 Subaru Outback Prices Paid