Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Outback Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Subarus do not depreciate that quickly, so I would try to find a bargain on a left over 2004 (maybe too late now?) or wait until the 2006 models arrive and buy a 2005.

Check out Fitzmall.com, search the inventory and sort by price. They have Foresters starting around $18k, which is pretty affordable nowadays.

Average price in the US is $27k now!

-juice
  • bkramerbkramer Member Posts: 9
    Looking to replace my 1999 v70xc. What would be a good price for a 2005 LLBean? Any dealer recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Use fitzmall.com as a benchmark, they're in MD. Or use Van Bortel in NY (I don't know the URL).

Start there, see if the local dealer will match or beat it.

-juice
  • amosanon1amosanon1 Member Posts: 23
    Two questions:

1. Anyone had experience with Mitchell Subaru in Connecticut?

2. How much have people been paying for Outback XT (not Limited) without many options? My wife and I have decided this is pretty much what we want (though we will test the Volvo v50 T5 AWD), but we decided that we are going to wait until we can get it for under invoice pricing (i.e. with manufacturer incentives). Our salesman claims that they can be very aggressive, particularly if the model/color combo we want is in stock, and he even hinted that if going below invoice is what it takes, they could do it. Should I believe him? I don't want to get stuck in a drawn-out negotiation only to become aware of strings and conditions not laid out in the first place. Does below invoice sound plausible?
    Try Van Bortel in NY for a reference point, they are no-haggle and you can get prices there and then ask them to beat it.

-juice
  • andrewkandrewk Member Posts: 59
    amosanon1, I bought my 2.5i (base w/MT) for $900 under invoice, though it took some time and effort. I found several dealers to go invoice and a couple willing to go lower with some enogociating. I made my purchase in Chicago, driving up from Indy to take delivery. Hope this helps!
  • l.l. cool beanl.l. cool bean Member Posts: 1
    2005 Outback L.L. Bean 6,700 miles. It had been registered to the dealership, so I'll be the second owner.

The sales experience was good, at Continental Motors in Anchorage, Alaska.

My relative happiness with the price is largely impacted by the beating I took on my trade--a 2004 Volvo. But the dealership did as well by me as they could, I think. They aren't going to be missing any meals because of this deal, but they offered me a decent deal, so we're taking it.

To answer the question, the car was listed at $27,999. For an almost new Outback L.L. Bean in Alaska, that seems like a good price.

There was a 2005 Outback XT 5 speed with 50 miles on it at the same price. We decided on the automatic to maintain family harmony and hopefully maintain a better resale value and lower insurance costs. We'll see...
  • jajjaj Member Posts: 55
    Anyone with insight into why price sheets dealers are showing have both MSRP and invoice higher than what's given on Edmunds and KBB? (looking at the Outback 2.5i Limited)
  • lumbarlumbar Member Posts: 421
    $275 advertising fee? If that's the discrepancy, that's it.
    Yeah, for Alaska that is great. I've heard stories of people going to Seattle to get a decent deal. So you did fine.

6700 miles isn't even broken in yet.

jaj: are they including regional ad fees, maybe? Or are they higher across the board?

If the MSRP matches, I'd believe the KBB and Edmunds numbers. If prices went up, they should all have gone up, MSRP too.

-juice
  • piperboy72piperboy72 Member Posts: 15
    I am looking to buy a base 2.5i 5-spd with mirror/compass and Willow Green exterior. I could not find one anywhere in my area in stock according to the subaru check inventory web site. The local dealer (Saint Paul, MN) has three silver units advertised at about 22,500 which is about what I would want to pay. Can I still expect to get to this price if it has to be ordered? Has anyone done this (ordered a low end outback and negotiated a good price)?

Thanks...
    piperboy72, I would think a dealer would be more motivated to discount something sitting right on his lot than having to go through the time and hassle to order something; but I could be wrong.

I thought the silver was very sharp and would have preferred that. Instead, I settled on a white over silver.
  • mchalmersmchalmers Member Posts: 30
    Not sure if I posted this correctly:

The other day I saw a 2.5i (non Limited) with the larger XT wheels and leather?? I actually took a double take and looked over the car to make sure it was not a limited. This was possible, as the car was in a parking lot. I noticed it truly was a base model 2.5i (No sunroof, non matching door handles, etc). Is it possible to order this car with the larger wheels and leather? Does anyone think Subaru will offer incentives for the Outback anytime soon?

Thank you,

Matthew
  • gearhead4gearhead4 Member Posts: 122
    Subaru has several VIP partners.

If you become a member of Leave No Trace (www.lnt.org) you can buy a new Subaru at invoice. Mmebership prices start at only $15. The down side is, you must be a LNT member for at least 6 months to qualify for the VIP program pricing.

I have purchased 3 Subarus through the VIP program. It's great! You are told to contact a specific individual at your local Subaru Dealer. He tells you to pick out a Subaru, shows you the invoice, and you pay the invoice price plus tax, license and documentation fees. No haggling. The only variable is the value of your trade-in. If you have no trade-in, you just drive away smiling.

-Jim

Jim
  • gearhead4gearhead4 Member Posts: 122
    Subaru increased prices last fall. Edmunds is probbaly showing the 05 prices prior to the increase.

Jim
    I saw you purchased your LL Bean at Grand Prix in Hicksville. How has your buying experience been? Would you mind disclosing your purchase price before tax and title? I have had the same experience as you. I liked Metric but their price is high. You can e-mail me if you'd prefer not to disclose it in a public forum. Thank you

bkramer
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Sharing in the Forum benefits everyone - so I do hope this isn't kept just in email. That's why the Forums are here - for sharing.
  • spindoctorspindoctor Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know if rebates will become available in the near future? Also, if I buy on the VIP program will I get the rebate as well? Can I get the low finance deal along with the VIP price? Just sent away for my VIP certificate today, and will be buying the L.L. Bean model in Champagne Gold. If people are paying less than invoice price without the VIP program what is the purpose of going through all the hassle of joining an organization and waiting 6 months to buy?
    VIP is good for models that are in demand, especially in regions where prices are higher.

You do keep the rebates. We used VIP for our Legacy.

But the best part was the red carpet treatment, you get their best salesperson and no nonsense.

-juice
  • jg1jg1 Member Posts: 1
    Subaru has different regions subaru of New England,

penn Jersey, southern atlantic... they are pass through fees, some have PZEV engines, destination and delivery charges can vary. ..

jg
  • tibbonstibbons Member Posts: 1
    I am a VIP member through the ACA. Am I better off negotiating a price on my own? Some buyers here say they are getting a few hundred dollars off the invoice price. If I use the VIP program, aren't I only getting the invoice price plus tax/title? Can you negotiate the dollar amount when using the VIP program?

Thanks!
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    VIP price is invoice (some areas have advertising fee on invoice) minus any dealer or customer incentives.

With VIP, it's a quick stress free transaction. It's up to you if it's worth the hassle to same a few more dollars.

DaveM
  • lrossnmlrossnm Member Posts: 36
    Any recomendations of dealers in NM,AZ or Co. that will work for under invoice on a 2005 base 2.5i Outback (w/auto) wagon. In Santa Fe they wont budge on about $400+ over invoice. I'll go to another state for a deal. Will driving 600 plus miles back to NM hurt the wagon?

Thanks,

Larry
  • gmode71gmode71 Member Posts: 4
    I just received a quote on an automatic 2.5i Outback with auto-dimming compass mirror, rear cargo net, rear gate bar, and all-weather floor mats for $24,240 (according to the dealer in NY this is $300 below invoice price).
    I was hoping for a price closer to $23,000, based on reading some of your messages. Please share with me any NY area price information you have received or strategies to assist me with getting a lower price.
    Has anyone used fightingchance.com for pricing information and strategies, and if so what was your experience/what information did you get?

Thanks!
    Just purchased an '05 LL Bean with Cargo nets, armrest extension for $29801 before taxes, title etc. Invoice was $30600. Negotiated with the internet sales manager. Bought from Grand Prix Subaru in Hicksville. Just watch out for the big press sales pitch at the end. Also make sure of your numbers. Found 2 "mistakes" that the finance guy didn't understand how they got there. Make copies of every e-mail correspondence. Metric in Huntington has no pressure sales but price is over invoice.
  • walterw1walterw1 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2005 2.5i Outback today, Silver with Black Interior & automatic for $23,200 at Dean Hill Subaru in S.W. New Hampshire. I had a 2000 Outback which I am selling to a friend for $11,500 (60,000 miles) I paid cash. I contacted about 5 dealers, two in person and the rest on the Internet. I posted on and was contacted by the dealer nearest my home and negotiated the sale on the phone with them. I had gotten a much higher price when I visited them than the price I finally got after their internet contact. I refused the etched motor number on all glass for $149, after some difficulty. The car comes with it anyway.Much flimflam but best price I could get.
  • sweet_subiesweet_subie Member Posts: 1,394
    it should be atleast 2k below sticker, then you are OK
    Subaru's current guaranteed trade-in program expires in Mar 2005. So, i expect cash back in Apr or May 2005.
  • donegaldonegal Member Posts: 49
    Dealer just offered a price of $29,840 on a 2005 LL Bean that has a sticker price of $33,029. I would be trading in a 2001 LL Bean with 40,000 miles. Trade has new tires. They offered me $16,000 for my trade. Before taxes and docs the outlay would be $13,840. Would this be a fair deal?
    1. where are you located at ? did you see subaru gaurantees your trade-in value ? go to soa website

2. put your 01 OB LL bean on cars.com & autotrader.com for $40 a piece. See, if you get good private deals.

3. Then bargain happily. By the time you sell yours, OB rebates might be here, then you should get 3-4k off sticker easily.

4. i suspect there will be rebates on OB in apr, may. their current special (guaranteed trade-in) expires in mar.
    Congrats Walter.

-juice
  • ebony5ebony5 Member Posts: 142
    What is the "guaranteed trade in" special?
    subaru of america is offering a guranteed trade-in special. go to subaru.com website, put in your VIN#, it will give you guaranteed trade-in value taht any subaru dealer will take it if you buy a new subaru. Plus they give you $300 subaru bucks. Plus you get $500 customer loyalty bonus. IT is available only until mar 31, 2005

remember that's only minimum, you can always ask for more with the dealer. you are better off selling it yourself.

Then, get in a couple of month, the Subaru Rebates will be here soon.
    NOrwood subaru is MAss has sent me email stating i can pick any OB XT, take 4,000 off MSRP. The deal is done.
    They offered us $10,800 on our 2002 Legacy L, seems kind low to me. Private sale I think I could get $13-14k, though we have a Gold warranty worth a bunch and added a few accessories like a moonroof and a 6CD changer.

-juice
    Congrats, when do you pick it up?
  • katrina1katrina1 Member Posts: 1
    I just wonder if $23200 is your OUT THE DOOR price(yncluding car sale tax,titlesfee,etc)?

I `m planning to buy a blue 2.5i automatic outback this month,Thanks
    just pay 2,000 below sticker. then add freight, tax & title.
  • jds2jds2 Member Posts: 1
    Someone posted saying that April/May there will *proably* be rebates. I am curious how certain people may be about this. I'd hate to buy now (or next week) and then have there be a decent rebate on 4/1 just a few weeks later. My situation is that I am turning in a leased vehicle mid next week.

I am looking at $33,350 LL Bean edition which the dealer is offering to take $1600 off of that. Seems low compared to what I am reading.

Thanks!!
    i said that. good chance for rebate in april as their current special program ends in march.

reduce price to $29,500. where are you ? my friend just got it for 29,000 LL bean in Mass.
    Depends, the Legacy is popular, and that might mean no rebates at all. The Forester made do without rebates for several years, until recently actually.

My guess is there is a good chance for small rebates right before the 06 models come out. Nothing ground breaking, though.

-juice
  • kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    I am looking at $33,350 LL Bean edition which the dealer is offering to take $1600 off of that. Seems low compared to what I am reading.

me: I never thought I'd hear the day when someone would say $30K for a Subaru was low !! Now I know it's a nice car, but I'd spend $20K ($2,500 rebates + 0% for 60 months) on a V-6 Jeep Liberty and have $12K for gas!
    Again I'm sure it's a nice car, but with slow auto sales and the deals that are and will be coming on many models, why buy something with no incentives?
    Very similar to the deal that I got (2.5i, MT for $22.2) which was about $900 under invoice. I also got the 1.9% financing for 36 months and the dealer to throw in the all-weather mats. As far as the window etching, my brother was in negotiations on a Tundra and the dealer was absolute on charging for the window etching, even though it wasn't done yet and my brother didn't want it. To me, I would walk away if a dealer pulled that stunt me on principle alone, which my brother did.
    Let's turn that around and compare depreciation. Jeeps are not the value that you think they are.

Go now and look at the Blue Book value of a '98 Forester and a '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee. New, the Grand cost about $7,000 more than my Forester L, yet today it's worth about a grand less!

Ouch. A Cherokee from that year cost about the same as my Forester, yet today it's worth about half! Double ouch.

Do not get a Jeep thinking it'll lower your TCO, it certainly will not.

Liberty is decent but does not compare to the refinment of an LL Bean anyway. Compare a Forester instead. The base model will easily keep up with the V6 Liberty, and the XT just plain blows it away.

Incentives kill residuals, you pay more now or you pay a lot more later.

-juice
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Let's keep the discussion on Prices Paid for the Outback please.

Thanks!
    Just know that an Outback will hold its value extremely well compared to the competition. It will hold a much higher percentage of its original value, and that's your true cost.

Use Edmunds TCO tool to compare.

-juice
  • csr1csr1 Member Posts: 3
    Just brought home an '05 Outback XT - short shift, Momo stick, mats, hood protector, cargo net, bumper guards. $27,500. What a great car! Smooth around town below 3000 rpm, then watch out...it goes like a scalded cat. Excellent treatment by sales staff - I'm impressed. Formerly had Grand Am GT, Eagle Talon, several Toyotas (which are also excellent cars). I'm in the snowbelt - 180" per winter usually.

Glad to be a Subie Newbie. CSR1
    Congrats and stop bragging 'cause I'm jealous! ;-)

Welcome to the Subaru Crew.

-juice
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Well the newest crew member should be initiated properly by coming to the chat tonight!

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

The St Patrick's Day party...err... SUBARU CREW Chat is on tonight. Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • occkingoccking Member Posts: 346
    Proud owned of 2.5 ltd outback for 10 weeks now, & just hit 7200 miles. Very pleased so far with my purchase. I applied for, and received Chase Subaru Master Card & well on my way towards earning the maximum of $500 per year in "Subaru Bucks" I do a lot of traveling & just using my card for that & business expenses will easily amount to $17,000 per year in purchases, which will get me the $500.

My questions is, I am having my wife use the same card (extra one with her name) because I wanted to be sure to get the maximum $500 back but it is obvious we will be way over that. I really want to have one card (account) for me to use strictly for my business expenses to help keep track of these expenses and have her use a separate one for her stuff (like shopping, etc.) I will still get to the $17,000 threshhold without any problem. Found out I can pay my Comcast Cable bill, phone bills, etc., utilizing the card. Her is the questions.... Does anyone know for sure if I have two separate Subaru Master Cards, I am sure they will both earn 3% (at least I think they will) but any potential problem in redeeming them to possibly earn up to $1000 per year? I know that's a lot of money to spend on credit cards every year, that would be around $34,000!

Another little trick is to get a AAA (American Auto Club) Visa & you can save up to 5% on gas purchases (if you pay at the pump)

All comments welcome.

Also, can anyone tell me what takes place on the Subaru Crew chats Thursday evening?