Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Outback Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• somethingelsesomethingelse Member Posts: 3
    Thats were I have gotten three of the prices
    and one I actually visited a dealership to see the car. Haven't driven it yet. Spoke to one on
    the phone and have gone back and forth via internet with the other two. They all have been
    pretty nice to deal with so far. We definately
    are not going to have payments, will go the cash
    route. At the one dealership I went to we could
    get the $500. rebate if we financed and they
    were offering 0.0 financing. They did not however offer the $1000.00 rebate. I'm located
    in the Sacramento, California area. Actaully
    I'm closer to Lake Tahoe. Anyway, thanks for the
    advise and I'm going to try and drive one this
    week-end. Does this car only take high octane
    gas? thanks again for you time raybear
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Premium fuel is recommended, but it only requires regualr. I read that it makes 212hp on 93 octane, 208hp on 87 octane, but most people won't feel the difference.

If you wait until after the Chicago auto show, the 2005 Outback will makes its debut, and discounts may be easier to find.

-juice
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    If you take the financing there is no rebate. The $500 is dealer cash so it's up to them whether to offer it or not.

BTW, Edmunds is behind the curve in updating prices, and we've just had another increase announced. This may be the best time to buy.
  • zumdishzumdish Member Posts: 2
    Newton, NJ, Bought a base model, 5spd manual
    Paid $200 under invoice and got $1500 cash back
    Paid cash, no trade in. Dealer accepted my offer with no fuss.

rjl
  • monkeyking1monkeyking1 Member Posts: 7
    I live in Bergen County New Jersey. I went to a Subaru dealer in West Nyack, NY. The following is the deal they gave me today for a 2004 Outback automatic transmission base model (2.5L engine).

INVOICE: $22881 (Edmunds says it is $21945, but there is a $70 regional adjustment after I typed in my zipcode)
    Dealers say that they need to add 2.2% profit over this INVOICE price. Thus, 2.2% x 22881 = $503.38.
    So, the base price is $23,384.38.
    Then, they gave me a rebate of $500 dollars. After that, another rebate (this rebate applies to people who would pay cash.) of $1500 was also applied.
    The total price is now $21,384.38.
    My questions are:
    1. Do New York area dealers have different INVOICES?
    2. Did people in Post #41 or #44 or #56 (you are from NJ) have to pay 2.2% of profit of invoice price. If no one paid this 2.2% profit, I will tell the dealer he should not do this crazy math to trick me and will also ask him to start pricing $100 - $200 under invoice price. It seems that there is a new rebate $1500 (if you pay cash?)plus another $500 rebate at this point. This $1500 rebate ends 2/2/2004. I would appreciate very much if any of you could give your opinion and help me with purchasing this car.
    Edmunds is woefully out of date on pricing. It appears we show 2003 cost figures on 2004 cars and it's about to get worse; we have a price increase on all incoming models.

There is a $1500 rebate for those who have their own or standard financing, plus $500 dealer cash. If you pay attention to this, you'll find you get a better deal than is described on our favorite automotive website anyway.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Hi Raybear - I sent a note to the Pricing guys asking them about the pricing data we show on the site. Thanks!
  • purduealum91purduealum91 Member Posts: 285
    I used to live in vernon, so I am familiar with Salerno Duane Subaru in Newton (is Dave still there?) and Liberty Subaru in Oradell. In my opionion, why arent you buying from Liberty. Correct me if I am wrong, but their prices are always the lowest becasue they are a volume dealer.

Tom
    Just let me know if you need some invoices faxed over...
    I was offering the invoices to Sylvia, sorry.

Now on profit, that's up to the dealer. I go below invoice for some models and a little above on others.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    just a reminder - no posting phone or fax numbers in the discussions..feel free to re-post
  • thebttmlinethebttmline Member Posts: 9
    Is the $1500 rebate for cash purchases in addition to the $1000 All Wheel Driveaway rebate being offered on the Outback H6? If so that is a heck of a deal. Where can I find out more about this $1500 rebate?

I am looking at buying a 2004 Outback H6 3.0 Automatic.

Here are the prices (for simplicity -- no options, dest fee, regional adj, etc. are included)

MSRP: 27095
    Invoice: 24555
    Edmunds TMV: 24877
    With $1000 Rebate: 23877

So, they are selling below invoice- which is what I would expect with the 2005 soon to be out.

But, could I expect even lower with this $1500 rebate for paying cash???

Thanks....
    The $1500 is only on the 4 cylinder models 4BT and 4BU. There is $500 dealer cash also, but we try to hang onto some of that!
  • sacosaco Member Posts: 5
    I just purchased a 2004 Outback Limited sedan with auto-dimming mirror, however it is not the same one shown in the manual with compass. I'm wondering if it was swapped out somewhere? My car was built 10/03. Has anyone else had this happen? How can I tell if the original equipment on the car has been altered?
  • sacosaco Member Posts: 5
    I just purchased a 2004 Outback Limited sedan with auto-dimming mirror, however it is not the same one shown in the manual with compass. I'm wondering if it was swapped out somewhere? My car was built 10/03. Has anyone else had this happen? How can I tell if the original equipment on the car has been altered?
    Bought an OB yesterday....

We decided to get a manual and there are not many out there like we wanted. Found one at a dealer 1.5 hours away. Contacted them over Edmunds and then made the deal over the phone. Was the least painful new car buying experience I've had. They stuck to the price we had agreed to on the phone and did not even try to sell me anything else like extended warranty or whatever.

We ended up with:
     04 Outback Wagon, 5 speed,
    Mystic Blue Pearl / Titanium Pearl
    Only options were Air Filtration / Cargo Net

24,005 MSRP
    22,182 Edmunds TMV
    21,846 Invoice
    21,746 Negotiated Price
    1,676 Tax
    37 Tags
    ------
    23,459 Total
    -1,500 Rebate
    -1,689 Subaru Bucks
    ----------
    20,270 Out of Pocket cost.

Don't know how great the deal was, but we were happy with it. Love the new OB!

(The Subaru Bucks normally come in $100 increments, the $89 dollar one was from when Chase took over from MBNA...)
    Killer, those Subaru bucks really paid off.

I don't have the auto dim mirror, but ask in the Legacy/Outback thread, which is busier.

-juice
    Yep, those sub bucks are awesome. We pay for almost everything on that card - and then pay it off at the end of the month to avoid interest - and the bucks just roll on in...

I was planning to wait a bit longer before purchasing to see if the deals got sweeter on the 04's, but that was when I was thinking about getting the H6 - of which there a plenty out there.

But after driving the H6, I decided I just couldn't give up the stick. Plus - the H6 auto is another $4K or so. Started looking for manuals and they are scarce, decided I should go ahead and buy now.
  • rfpeckrfpeck Member Posts: 3
    Hi all,

With a little one on the way, I need to get a "family car". Luckily, I talked my wife out of a minivan and am looking into an Outback. The local dealer is advertising 2004 Outbacks for $19995. When I used Edmunds I get the following for a base model outback (manual) with no accessories:

Invoice: $21223
    Destination charge: $550
    Total $21773

Customer cash -$1500
    Dealer cash -$500
    New total $19773

Am I missing something? Is the dealer's asking price only $222 profit? I'm not including the 3% holdback so I know the dealer is going to make some money. I'm also wondering if it is common practice for dealers to advertise and then add in the destination charge right after making the sale. Thanks for any help you can provide.
    He's making less than that, sounds like a loss-leader. Do you need a five-speed?
  • mchinmchin Member Posts: 22
    Hi all,
    I am looking into an 2004 OB H6 sedan. One dealer quoted:
    MSRP is $29,960
    Edmunds TMV is 27,488
    Invoice is $27,186
    $1500 under invoice.
    Selling price is $25,686, plus 1.9% for 60 months. The dealer holdback is $864. Should I bargain lower?
    Any information would be appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Sounds like the dealer made a mistake and quoted both the financing and the rebate, they are mutually exclusive. Take the deal and run.
    The dealer's gotta eat! ;-)

-juice
  • rob_mrob_m Member Posts: 820
    The day we picked up our 96 OBW which was special ordered with auto, winter package and rear spoiler, which we paid about invoice, someone walked into the dealer and paid sticker. I am sure that dealer did not go hungry!
  • mchinmchin Member Posts: 22
    Hi again,
      The dealer said you can only get the incentive or APR. One or the other. Sorry, about the miscue on #74
    I found another dealer who quoted me 23400 (no options) w/ tax and tags. Will be picking up next Sat.
    Hi again,

Thanks for the info. on the dealer ad, raybear. How accurate is Edmund's pricing? Looking at fitzmall.com. they are showing a delivered price for an Outback automatic (with upgraded speakers, tweeter kit, all weather floor mats, and cargo net) for $20,387. According to Edmund's the invoice on this vehicle would be $22,761. If we subtract the customer rebate ($1500) and dealer cash ($500) we get a price of 20, 761. Is fitzmall.com enough of a "volume" dealer to sell cars at a "loss" and only keep holdback? I'm thinking of trying to get my local dealer to match this offer. If no dealer around here can come close to this offer, I'm actually thinking of flying to Maryland to by from fitzmall. I have relatives that I'd like to visit there, anyway. Thanks for any info.
    Hi Ron, I recognize you from the chat last night.

Yes, Fitz is a pretty big volume dealer. They have a no-haggle policy so you pay exactly that. MD state law even limits fees they can charge, so it's just $49 for them to process your tags, even if it's out of state. They do so routinely because they're close to VA, DC, and PA.

We bought our Legacy there.

They are close to the Subway (DC calls it Metro), so you could even take a train to Union Station in DC, and then the Subway to the White Flint stop. They'll even shuttle you over.

If you end up doing that, gimme a call, I might meet you out there. If you want I'll even refer you to my salesman, who handles all the VIP purchases for them, he's great.

Good luck, hope someone matches their price for you.

-juice
    I'm going to start calling dealers today. Hopefully, I can get one here to match my price. It might actually be fun to visit my relatives and see the sites in DC, though.
    Come, the museums are all free. It's great!

-juice
    Most dealers should be willing to sell at invoice right now. They need to sell to get 2005's.
    Dealers should be willing to really let go....

Let me know if someone gets one for less than $19000 on a 5spd.
  • subyguy2subyguy2 Member Posts: 2
    It really doesn't get any better than this. With the incentives on the Subaru line, coupled with the last and largest ever allocation of 2004 models, it really is a great time to buy. The 2005 models will be exempt from all low interest and incentive programs when they come out in May, 2004.
  • eigatomeoweigatomeow Member Posts: 2
    I am negotiating to buy an Outback Sport. The dealers are giving away free oil changes. Whatever. But they said that I should get my oil changes done at a Subaru dealer as if I don't use a subaru oil filter it would invalidate my warranty. Sounds like BS. Is it? Thanks.
    If they can show there was damage due to a non-subaru part, sure they can.
    The Magnussen-Moss warranty act protects you, if they *require* OE Subaru parts then they have to provide it to you for FREE!

Which they don't, of course. So you can use any oil that meets their specifications, basically any off the shelf motor oil. At one point Subaru was using Havoline oil, it's not like they refine their own oil.

The filter they use is a Purolator. You can buy the exact replica of the filter from AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts.

So basically that was a bold-faced lie. I think I'd try to find a different dealer, rather than reward them with your business.

-juice
    @ Evanston subaru in Evanston, IL

Heres the link:

http://evanstonsubaru.com/frameset1.asp?LINK=Specials&MAIN=ne- w_specials

Is it a good deal?
    Run, don't walk. That's amazing. It's a loss leader.

-juice
    Can Fritz beat it? I wonder how much I could get fr my VW Golf TDI? hmmmm
  • jrtravjrtrav Member Posts: 1
    Dealers in Minneapolis - St. Paul area have 2004 base Outbacks with 5000-7000 miles listed in the $21,000 -$22,000 range. I assume they'll go down some; any thoughts out there on what they will let them go for? Where are these cars coming from with such lows miles? thanx.
    Fly to DC and then drive one back. Fitzmall.com has Outbacks with the AWP for $18.4k, automatics for $19.2k. Both new. That even includes freight!

Even with airfare you'd save a bundle.

If you fly to Reagan National Airport, you can take the Subway (called Metro here) to the White Flint Mall station, and Fitz has a shuttle. So you could use public transportation the whole way.

-juice
  • mfhmfh Member Posts: 37
    Anybody bought an 04 VDC wagon lately? After incentives, CR reports the wholesale price to be 29,100. Is that about right?

thanks,

Michael
    Sounds right, and that's right about where I've seen the lowest prices for VDC wagons. Sedans cost less, though.

-juice
    Do you think 27,700 is a good price for VDC? Or can I do better.

In adition, the 04 model, I assume will depreciate faster than 05 model. So in essence you get less money at trade-in (in the future). Are the savings worth it?
    Is the extended warranty a good deal and is there a 5 yr and 7yr? What do people pay for that? Do they somwtimes throw in maintenance for a couple of yrs?

thanks head of time for your help!
    I've seen as low at $700 for a 7/70 warranty, but some have deductibles. As them to see their invoice prices for the plans, and offer a reasonable amount above their cost ($100 perhaps).

VDC - that is a good price, the new ones are probably $3-4 grand higher and I doubt you'll recover *that* much 5+ years from now.

-juice
  • btettemerbtettemer Member Posts: 4
    Just got an 04 VDC wagon, out the door for $28,600. With 1.9% financing.
    That is a great deal. Congrats! By Out the door do you mean with tax, title and license?
  • kmartinkmartin Member Posts: 427
    I paid invoice for the 05 Outback...even though they still have plenty of 04's with incentives on the lot. Good $$ for my old pal, my '99 Forester that I traded in.

Good dealer: 21 Bell Subaru, 2141 E. Bell Road, Phoenix, Arizona
    That's great. Best I had seen up to now was $200 over for base models. Turbos have even higher margins right now (May 2004). That is if you can even find one.

-juice
  • joajoa Member Posts: 8
    Want to know if this is a good price for these two
    I live in Northern CA coast area. I believe this are both a little below invoice and before tax, lic., etc.
    What is others paying. I'm willing to drive pretty far to get a good deal
    2005 Outback 2.5 4 cyl. Limited $27,500.00

2004 Outback 2.5 4 cyl. Limited is $24,750.00

Thank you,
    Joa