Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Quest Prices Paid

walterchanwalterchan Member Posts: 61
edited May 2015 in Mercury
A local Nissan dealer near my neighborhood is currently charging $2000 over the MSRP sticker price. Since the all-new Nissan Quest is competing with Honda Odyssey, we will see shortages of the all-new 2004 Nissan Quest.

Walter Chan

Comments

• kgnw1kgnw1 Member Posts: 94
    Wasn't Nissan saying not to charge over MSRP?

intexasnow "Nissan Quest 2004" Mar 31, 2003 2:32pm
  • kmeadkmead Member Posts: 232
    So far my local dealer still has the same vehicle on the lot. They either are keeping it as a demo or its just not selling. I haven't seen any more on the lot either so supply is definitely tight here.

Locally both Toyo dealers are asking and getting MSRP on the Sienna as far as I can tell and are selling all that come in. The 5 or so Canadian market LEs the one dealer is selling at 29k each are moving a bit slower (there are 2 left at the moment after 2 weeks).

I have a hard time imagining a dealer being able to get a premium for the Quest. Not that its a bad vehicle, but the general supply of nice products (MPV, Sienna, Ody, Quest, DC) is growing and will expand further when the new Ford twins come available in the next couple of months. Presuming the Ford twins end up being nice.
  • daveandlilydaveandlily Member Posts: 6
    I really don't think there is any way the new Quest can sustain MSRP (or higher) pricing. It's new right now and the availability is rather low, so the dealers can charge what they wish. This is simple supply-and-demand, even if the demand IS low.

However, it won't be long before the "gotta have it now" people have their Quests in their garages and the rest of the Quests start to collect dust on the lots. Given that they are MORE expensive than a Sienna, similarly equipped, and given that a large number of posts here have reported cheap-looking interiors (I agree), the Quest simply cannot compete.

The free market will decide, as it always does. Give it a few months. Nissan needs money, and so do the dealers. They won't be able to keep up the charade for long. And the dealers will have to start to pay their own financing for the vehicles still on their lots after a few months.

Meanwhile, I might just go buy a Sienna :)
  • stephenwbstephenwb Member Posts: 15
    My wife and I are just starting our search for a new minivan, and our first stop (simply because of location) was the Nissan dealer to drive the new Quest. They only have one on the lot (SE, silver with Rouge interior, no DVD or nav), so we drove that. Liked it, but since we haven't driven anything else yet (Sienna, Ody, etc.), we weren't at all thinking we were going to buy.

My wife and I both agree that the Rouge interior is absolutely the ugliest thing we have ever seen, and she doesn't want silver, but otherwise, it had all the stuff we would have wanted.

We were the only ones in the showroom at 8pm on Saturday night, so the Sales Mgr came over directly to talk to us. I asked him, not expecting a real answer, whether he was expecting to sell it at MSRP or what, after telling him that we weren't buying yet, this was the first model we had driven, etc. He asked us if we would buy it right then if he gave it to us at $1000 under MSRP. We said no. He offered $2000 under MSRP. We said no. He offered $3000 under MSRP. He was surprised when we said no.

I guess he's going to have trouble selling that terrible interior color, or that he just wanted to make a sale in an empty showroom. Whatever, but he'd have to get pretty cheap to get me to buy that interior, and my wife didn't want the silver anyway, and we hadn't driven anything else, so there was no way I was buying tonight.

But he still offered $3000 under MSRP, which on a Quest with a $33,890 sticker, is close to invoice. Of course, when it came down to it, he might have added "dealer processing" and other stuff, and he asked in a "what would you say if I offered you..." way so he could weasel out.

<shrug> Take it how you like, but he wanted to sell that van.
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    is in the Odyssey section because???
  • iserumiserum Member Posts: 15
    We have picked our 2004 Quest SL on 07/31/03. Paid aprrox $300 less than invoice on Nissan VPP plan. We have Seat package and Sonar Package added to the vehicle, The price is fixed from Nissan no hassle to bargain, built my vehicle on line, send email to dealership, test drove the van next day and picked the van it within a week. The original delivery date they gave me was october, dealership has done an excellent job finding me the vehicle in short time (Coral Sand color was hard to find). I bought it at Bill Cook Nissan in Farmington Hills MI.
    After test driving the van did not take much time to decide that we are not buying Honda or Toyota, the vehicle rides very nice with ample power and very quite from inside too.
  • areno2003areno2003 Member Posts: 3
    Is this available to the average consumer?
  • thequestthequest Member Posts: 11
    Just bought SE after waiting about a month for it to come in. Paid MSRP but got a good finance rate. Best offer was 3.99 before I talked to the dealers finance person. They gave 3.5, I guess to keep me from going with the other bank. The Quest I've seen at this dealership never stay very long. The one we test drove was sold by the time we got back.
    The program is for employees of automotive suppliers to Nissan, it is very similar to GM's supplier discount, The saving is great the good part is there is no bargaining with dealer on price, the price is fixed by Nissan, if there is a rebate or incentive from company the buyer pays the VPP price plus gets the incentives too.
    for information call VPP info line at
    1-800-299-4753
  • pacinpelopacinpelo Member Posts: 142
    Do we really need the Quest pricing in the Odyssey boards?

I do not think I will be buying an OVER PRICED NISSAN Quest ! Even at Invoice.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Muat be a link glitch somewhere - I'm getting here through Vans.

And I'll put my Quest tranny up against your Odyssey one anyday :-)

Steve, Host
  • bluemax0bluemax0 Member Posts: 2
    In the same boat,deciding between II hand 02'Oddysey and 04 Quest. Thinking about Quest '04 SL and to use VPP pgm at Bill Cooks Farmington Hills. Iserum: Do they offer financing thru Nissan VPP? What was the VPP discount?Thanks
    bluemax0,
    you can use nissan vpp discount on 04 Quest at bill Cook Nissan, i would suggest you to give dealership your target APR, they will find the lender for you, if you have good credit you will find 4% APR for five years. Nissan APR was higher than other Banks.
    if you have specific questions you can email me
    iserum@hotmail.com
  • revracerrevracer Member Posts: 15
    We just picked up our Autumn Red SE and were able to get it for $500 off MSRP. After 6 months of deliberation looking at new vehicles, we had come to expect very little in the way of deals on new models. The movement on XC90, Pilots, Siennas seemed non-existent and we were actually pleasantly surprised to see that they offered something off a vehicle that this dealership had only sold 2 of, this consuming the last one on their lot after a dealer trade.

We did not extesively shop this vehicle at other local dealers as this dealership is very close to home and work and provided a lifetime power train warranty.

The sales person treated us very well. As the vehicle was so new to the dealership, the salespeople had not had their thorough training yet and we were not given a full run down on the vehicle, but that is of little matter to us as we tend to research the manuals fairly well.

We had received a thorough run down on the Murano and can say that Nissan does equip there staff with knowledge when not pushing the limits on a delivery schedule. We are offered a return visit to get a more thorough run through.
  • laavramlaavram Member Posts: 7
    We bought our new Quest SE - silver mist on friday. Went to our dealership (prior owner of nissan) 3 weeks ago and test drove the SL. Put a small deposit to the dealer to locate a SE model silver mist color in 3 weeks.Also, the dealer agreed to do for a VPP price. right around the same time, we also applied for a new vehicle loan from peoplefirst and received and lock in rate of 3.74 APR good for 45 days (costco discount).
    Our dealer did a great job of locating the vehicle for us in less than 3 weeks (as promised) with the exact options that we requested and the vehicle was ready for our pickup on friday.

we spent less than 45 minutes at the dealership to do all the paperwork and drove the vehicle back home.

We have already put 700 miles on the vehicle and it drives great....
  • juliziojulizio Member Posts: 18
    If I'm not a supplier is there any way I could get the VPP pricing?

I'm thinking if I could get below invoice, I may go for the SE with DVD.

Thanks.
  • beechmanbeechman Member Posts: 36
    Only way to get the VPP price if you aren't a supplier is to be a relative of someone who is/was a Nissan employee...

- Direct, full-time employees of Nissan North America, Inc. (NNA) and Nissan affiliate companies.

- Retirees of NNA and affiliate companies who have received normal, early or disability retirement, and surviving spouses of such retirees.

- Immediate family members of the above people, including spouse, parents, spouse's parents, children (including sons- and daughters-in-law and step children), and siblings (including brothers- and sisters-in-law, half-brothers, half-sisters, step-brothers and step-sisters).

If just anyone could get the discount, then it wouldn't be much of a perk for those who deserve it, would it?
  • xjbuilderxjbuilder Member Posts: 19
    I paid about invoice in Colorado springs for an SL. I was about $5K underwater on a year old Subaru lease (didn't realize two booster seats and an infant seat don't fit in the back of a Sube wagon), and actually paid 5% over sticker. So the dealer made nothing, but wanted to get me into it and another Quest out on the road.

Excellent experience, considering I had a major problem with a lease turn-in from a different manufacturer. They took a hit and I took a hit and we both got something out of it. I bought a 100,000 mile comprehensive warranty and plan to drive this car for a long time. One of the better sales experiences I have had on a new car in terms of very little BS.

Nay
  • leagraleagra Member Posts: 7
    After months of Toyota dealers talking MSRP for a Sienna, we bought a Quest SL. I wanted an LE w/pkg 7 and a DVD. If I could have gotten $1500 off MSRP, I could afford it. It didn't happen, but I was eying the Quest as well. I fell in love with it at the Auto show in March. I emailed several Nissan dealers in early July. It took about 4 days for responses to come in. All were talking MSRP, and one in my immediate area claimed they had 75 people on a waiting list. One dealer responded favorably to my price of $30,000 "out the door," actual OTD, $30646.

So, I gave up rear split seat, vehicle stability control, and the coveted conversation mirror. Gained power lift door, adjustable pedals, power seats & mirrors with memory, and more importantly, stayed within budget. I had to wait 4 weeks to get the color I wanted, Autmn Red.

Now, I have not had a new car since 1989. So, the pod was not the only thing to get use to. Computer chips and power gadgets are everywhere in new vehicles. Of course, the first thing I did was lock a set of keys in the car. After, 3 days tooling around, the pod is really cool. Its placement allows for a lot of space, I'm 5'8, DH is 6'3.
  • eflimeeflime Member Posts: 5
    Got it Saturday, an SE, smoke/beige, with the following options seats, mats, flaps, tow & running boards. Got the tow & running boards, both for $500 (sticker ~$550, invoice ~440 each).

Got it $2,910 BELOW window sticker or about ~$200 over invoice.

Had a qoute from one dealer, but gave the salesman that we took the test drive with a chance to meet the price. I told them they had 15 minutes to make it happen, and they did.

So deals are out there just go prepared.
  • deannajdeannaj Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased on 8/16 a Quest SE with the Seat Package, Single Screen DVD, Running Boards and Splashguards from Modern Nissan in Winston-Salem, NC at $1500 off MSRP. After waiting for months and negotiating on a 2004 Sienna (which is what I thought I wanted BEFORE seeing and driving the Quest) hubby and I finally decided to just go take a look at the new Nissan. Were VERY impressed with the ride/styling since didn't want to drive a typical "mom-mobile" :-). Must say that the buying experience at the Nissan dealership FAR exceeded any dealings I had with the folks at Toyota. Sales personnel at the dealership were actually very knowledgable for such a new product (and believe me I had done my research as I was set on getting similar features as the Sienna XLE Limited). Price paid for the 2004 Quest SE with all the options was over $2500 LESS than I would have paid for the Toyota. And I'm driving it now - rather than having to wait 2 more months!
  • shenkarshenkar Member Posts: 159
    What dealer did you get your car from (City and State, please)? How did you go about the process of getting the deal you got?
  • pantrupantru Member Posts: 14
    Just got a new coral sand/beige Quest SL $2000 below MSRP and $400 above invoice.
  • phatwheelsphatwheels Member Posts: 7
    Where are you below MSRP guys (or gals) getting your deals.
    Anyone in the Washington D.C. Metro area?
  • kmeadkmead Member Posts: 232
    Well the Quest has been out a while and supplies are tight. Doesn't seem to affect the pricing though, as my local Nissan dealer has discounted the only Quest they have which is a top of the line SE with DVD, NAV, Seating and so on.

List 37140

Sale 34940

And thats before going in and haggling.

Guess its not a runaway success, which is kind of sad given the overall quality of the vehicle. Maybe if it does well in the Consumer Reports testing it will boost sales, that and the IIHS testing which I suspect will be coming out in sweeps month.

The dealer is in Grand Rapids, MI. I have no affiliation or interest in this so feel free....
    I think the discount is mostly on TOP of the line SE only especially in Small cities where dealer thinks it will be diffcult to sell the van at MSRP. Most of the places are giving very minimal discounts. the dsicount on the SE is less than $2500 not much if you compare 37K price Tag I think it is discounted to avoid luxury car tax applicable after 35 K.

• eflimeeflime Member Posts: 5
    Got the SE from Costa Mesa, So. California.
    Used Edmund's to get "fleet dealer" contacts. Some did not act as fleet dealers compared to using my credit union for contacts (from my two previous new purchases before internet). A couple gave me a price over the phone and used that to compare with Edmund's invoice price.
    Made a deal with one for $31,540 (~500-600 over invoice) without the tow/running boards. Decided to give the salesman (not fleet) that we took the test drive with one chance to meet/make the deal.
    They only had a smoke/beige SE w/ seat/floor mats/flaps/tow/running boards. Did not want the tow/boards, but told them I'll buy the van if they sell it for $32,000 w/ all those options (sticker was $34,910).
    Negotiating the price took about 15 minutes, because I told them that's all the time I was giving them, because I had another appointment with another dealer, which I did.
    Within those 15 fifteen minutes I had the salesman, his boss & his boss' boss talking to me, but what it came down to was they knew I was going to buy a van that day, either from them or the next dealer.
  • kmeadv2kmeadv2 Member Posts: 5
    This dealer was discounting on all vehicles not just the Quest. I think it can be bargained further. They don't have any of the lower line in stock so they no prices are posted.

The Toyota dealers (4 local) are not discounting in any case so I fail to see your point.
    I stopped by at the Nissan dealership today to check about Quest Accesorry the sales person told me they are selling quest on sticker price no discounts at all, only VPP discount is available on Quest if one qualifies, they are going fast, the average day it stays at dealership is 8 (all over US average), record for 2003 autos.
  • dpfla99dpfla99 Member Posts: 1
    Just Purchased silver SE w/single DVD. I sent emails to 5 local dealers (@midnight Friday). 1st to reply would not honor VPP for Quest. 2nd sent email and rang me up about noon Saturday. They had the features & options we wanted on 2 SEs. We were out and about with the kids so we went right over. We agreed on the price for the trade of our 98 Windstar and we left with the Quest two hours later. This was the best experience I have ever had buying a car! Well the Quest rides great and the kids love the DVD, most important the wife is thrilled (loves the sky view roof & adjustable pedals). Only problem is 1 armrest is not level (goes too far down).
  • revracerrevracer Member Posts: 15
    DPLFA99, your armrest is an interesting problem that sounds similar to our SE. It would be interesting to hear if your lumbar works (stays in position). We are waiting for the parts to arrive to get ours repaired at the dealer.
    I'm in the market for a new Quest, but I have until February to buy one -- what other time of year (besides end-of-model-year) do Nissan dealers typically offer special incentives? I mean, can I wait until Christmas or something and expect to get some kind of incentive? When are the dealers going to be most eager to make me a deal?

I guess what I'm really asking is "What are the best times of year (if any) to buy a Nissan Quest?"
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I shopped my '99 Quest on Christmas eve and closed on it on Dec. 31. I thought I was being smart by buying from the dealer on the very last day of the year since I figured the dealer would be anxious to add one more sale to his '98 quota.

My salesguy told me after the deal was done that Nissan had extended the deadline for '98 sales that year to mid-January, lol.

Last day of the month on the last day of the quarter is still a good bet though. But the best time to buy is probably when you decide you're ready for a new van.

Steve, Host
  • jmem610jmem610 Member Posts: 4
    We ordered a Quest SE, Green Tea w/ single screen DVD, this week and were told it would take around 90 days to deliver. Does this sound right? I wasn't expecting it to take so long.

Also, we were told that we could not order one without splash guards. In fact he said, "Nor can anyone else." This struck me as odd as they are accessories. Why would this be the case? Any ideas?

Thanks!
    That sounds like a classic car-salesman tactic to force you into something to increase his profit.

I can't say definitively, but I'd question that more closely. Maybe take your deal or call around (price, don't mention the splashguards) to another local dealer and see if there's any mention of them.
    We have the VPP price, so it can't be that much profit (if any) that he would make. I don't get it!
    He isn't making much on the sale, so he's looking for whatever way he can to make a little more $$$.

I think that we have at least one Nissan dealer/salesperson on the board, maybe they could say for sure.
    I drove by the other Nissan dealership in our area yesterday. All of the three Quests they had on the lot had splash guards.

It's not too big of a deal to me, I'm just curious why it would be that they couldn't order one without them.
  • mahendranmahendran Member Posts: 2
    I guess providing spalsh guards without asking may not be a big deal, but certainly it is not bad. why make big fuss about it ?
    The dealer just said he couldn't order one with them. He knew I didn't want them, so he just explained why it was on the order. I'm just curious as to why it can't be ordered without them.

Again, it really isn't a big deal. My curiousity is just getting the better of me! :)
  • modena2904modena2904 Member Posts: 16
    We ordered ours with them, but the dealer never said we had to order them. Of all of the Quests we've seen on the lot, not one has had the splash guards.

I think you're dealer is just looking to make a little more money. But hey, at least it wasn't the $800 scotch guard.
    I was at the dealer yesterday looking at colors (he just got a red and a green in) and I saw at least one of them (not an SE, though) without the splash guards. So, I can tell you definitively that at least the S or SL can be ordered without them.
  • srb6srb6 Member Posts: 3
    Just had a grueling negotiation session this weekend for SL at MSRP $31671. We ended up walking out without the car because they were playing too many games. Thought it might be helpful info for any of you in very competitive markets. When we priced the options we wanted on the Nissan site we came up with $31530 (Leather, DVD, floor mats, upgrade and seat package). Dealer inventory showed they had the exact car - again listed at $31530, but when we got there the car with that VIN # had a sticker price of $31671 due to, you guessed it, splash guards. We asked whether this was a dealer thing and they said no - all these cars are being shipped with the splash guards. I have no idea why this information wouldn't be available on the Nissan site option list. Anyway, this was annoying but not a deal breaker. After much discussion he said the absolute best he could do was 2.5% off MSRP - about $790 off. We were not offering a trade-in vehicle. Then I asked whether there were any dealer fees or add-ons that we hadn't discussed yet. He said - get this - there is a $239 VIN etching fee (!) and a $299 dealer conveyance fee, both of which he had to charge us "by law". I actually started laughing. We looked at the wording of the CT law regarding VIN etching - that the dealer must offer the option to have the number etched on the windshield, so I politely declined the option... and they took that fee off the contract. Then we said we weren't interested in paying a dealer conveyance fee. They said they couldn't remove it - legally it wouldn't be fair to the other customers. We said fine - then take that $299 out of the cost of the car. Well - they could only do that depending on the outcome of our next step - possible financing. More games, of course. They said they could give us 4.9% for 5 yrs. We can get less than %3.9 from a bank, so no. Ok, they can offer us %2.9 if it is packaged with an extended warranty and our payments would be only $5-something per month, does that sound interesting to us? We tell them we are beyond impatient about the games they keep playing, and we do the math right there and figure they have just offered us a $4000 extended warranty. We tell them forget financing; we will write a check for the entire cost of the car at MSRP - 2.5% with no VIN etching fee and no conveyance fee, take it or leave it. They can't do it unless we agree to the dealer conveyance fee of $299. We know we can do better through Carmax, so we say no.
    Based on this, it looks like you can get an SL with these options in our area for $30880 + $299 is $31179 from the MSRP of $31671. This is $492 off, or about 1.5% off of MSRP.

Good luck out there and look sharp at each part of your deal!
  • lumbarlumbar Member Posts: 421
    That was a great real world story--very informative. Much respect for sticking to your guns and walking.

The fact that the dealership was willing to lose the deal for $299 even though they still would have had a pretty good margin tells me they have no doubt somebody else will pay it soon. In short, seller's market.

Can I ask why you're looking for a "loaded" SL instead of an SE? I'm trying to judge the cost/benefit of that decision.
  • srb6srb6 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks lumbar. We really like the SE, but decided to buy the SL after we looked at each of the features that the extra $3500 would purchase for us. It turned out that in our case, the only features that were really compelling about the SE were the 5-speed auto transmission and the skylights (the auto mirrors, memory seats, power door, etc... are great, but not enough to move us toward a higher price). We reluctantly agreed that the skylights were in reality a drawback for us since we are expecting our second child any day now, and our experience with sunlight streaming in on our first child's face indicated we would never have those skylights open, at least for the first 2 yrs!
    So is the 5-speed transmission alone worth $3500? I have no idea, actually, but I'm hoping we won't regret our decision to take the 4-speed. I'll let you know after we get the car and drive around awhile!
  • jakevsnakejakevsnake Member Posts: 14
    I recently have been in contact with a dealer in Oakland and he has offered me a Quest SL, Single DVD, folding seats, floor mats, and in-cabin microfilter for $27,630+ tax, tags, etc. He has already send me an email with the vin# and price you quoted me so I am optimistic he will follow through with the deal. I have been on the phone with him once already and he has been helpful so far. I just need to send him my address in CA since i am moving back to the states from Japan (Navy) in 6 days. I am going to make a deposit with my credit card to lock in the deal. He has also agreed to pick me and my family of four up at the airport the morning of our arrival. I will post the results once the deal is completed. Price is about $800-900 over invoice so I feel pretty good about the price. Was looking into a Oddysey but the availability and the demand have increased the price the dealers are willing to go down to. Not worth paying close to retail for a Honda if you ask me.

Jason
  • 2003hemi2003hemi Member Posts: 2
    I will be getting on or about the 22th of this month. A SE with every option list $37,720 for $35,023. Best I could do.
  • shenkarshenkar Member Posts: 159
    Do you mind sharing where you got your deal? How much pain did you suffer in the negotiations?
  • raul4raul4 Member Posts: 95
    There are two nissan dealers in my area and I have been tracking their inventory since 9/13. One dealer had five and received one more on 9/16. The other dealer had eight and received one more on 9/16. I visited both dealers today and both made the comment on meeting me that they go as soon as they get them. The one dealer with the six on 9/16, had all of them. The other dealer who had nine on 9/16, had only three sitting out front and I was told that was all they had. Yet, the inventory as of this evening still shows a total of nine.
         In any event, they have a coral sand with the $750 upgrade, floor mats, and cargo cover, list price of $28,630 that I am going to try to buy tomorrow. But, I have a trade-in, Chev Venture (LT) four years old, 35,500 miles, in super condition (no passengers have ever ridden in the rear seats).
         We will see what happens!
  • 2003hemi2003hemi Member Posts: 2
    Well my friend knows the manager of the Nissan Dealer. So one call from my friend to him got me the deal. I will ask the manager if he want me to give out the dealership name.