Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Kia Sedona Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ezyone4uezyone4u Member Posts: 5
    bought my wife an 04 sage green/silky beige sedona ex with spoiler and everything but the tow pkg.from Bill Byrd Kia in Hoover,Al; including rear dvd entertainment for 23499.21 which included tax, tag and title. salesman was great and made my family very comfortable doing purchase process, they even bought my family dinner after some miscues on the dealership's part after vehicle was not ready to be picked up as promised. even recieved a full tank of gas to boot. bought the van as an early xmas gift for wife in oct. got 2500 rebate then saw they increased rebate by 500 but arranged my own financing 60 mo @ 4.39%. interest rates increased in the meantime so, i think i did ok what are your thoughts or comments.

ezyone4u
  • craigmricraigmri Member Posts: 243
    EZ,

Nice choice in color combo.....We have the same colors. Its very rich looking. Soun ds like your out the door price was quite good. I'm assuming you got the ABS and leather.

Craig

'04 Sedona EX
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    Sounds like a pretty good price, assuming your tax was at least several hundred dollars of the $23,500 total.

The sage green / silky beige is a very upscale look and my favorite Sedona color combo. When we bought our 2002 EX, we chose the Dark Emerald Green / Silky Beige sight unseen, and it was much brighter than we expected when the van was delivered. The Sage Green is much more like what I wanted, but it was not available in the 2002 model year.

Congrats on your van and on finding a solid salesperson.
  • whippetwhippet Member Posts: 3
    I am curious as to whether new incentives & rebates will be offered to replace the current ones which expire on 1/3/05. For the Sedona, there is the $2000 cash back and the $1000 competitive bonus for owners of certain vehicles. It doesn't look like I am going to be in a situation to purchase a Sedona by 1/3/05 since I have been unable to sell my current car. I am guessing that similar rebates/incentives will replace the current ones, but if they dropped the competitive bonus for example, that $1000 may make me want to wait for later in the year. I also imagine that any new incentives/rebates won't be posted or advertised until 1/4/05.
    There's no telling what the January 2005 rebates will be, but there will definitely be SOMETHING. Most manufacturers change the rebate programs monthly. Sometimes they improve for the model you are considering, and sometimes they don't.

I wouldn't be worried about 'missing out' on the Dec 2004 incentives.

Are the figures you quoted, for the *2005* Sedona? I thought Kia was advertising $3000 Sedona cash back on the radio these days. Maybe that is on 2004 models, or maybe it's region-specific for me (Michigan).
  • ezyone4uezyone4u Member Posts: 5
    yes after reading reviews the leather just made the van feel like we were driving something alot more expensive and the woodgrain trim just adds to the feel of luxury. my wife really loved the color combo as well as my 14 y/o daughter as green is her favorite color and the two tone breaks up the monotony of the solid color paint scheme. the abs was a must have especially after reading about the weight of the vehicle and our insurance gives discounts for safety features.

my offer at the time of purchase 22831.00 before tax, tag, title(ttt). the dealer came back with a counter offer of 23499.21 including ttt and it was too good to pass up at the time and after arranging my own financing and beating the dealers offers on that by 3% i felt i did pretty well.
  • whippetwhippet Member Posts: 3
    Well, I just found out what the rebates & incentives on the Sedona will be for January 05. It is $1900 cash back (down from $2000) on 2005 models and the Sedona competitive bonus program (additional $1000 for owners of certain vehicles) is not currently being offered. Looks like I'm going to hold off on the Sedona for a while. It will be interesting to see whether the two dealerships I have had contact with will want to maintain that contact knowing that I won't being buying anytime soon, or whether they will be OK with staying in touch over the next several months.
    Whippet,

Your patience will most likely pay dividends as the farther into 2005 we get the closer we get to the release of the redesigned '06 Sedona. I have no doubt they will be giving away the '05's at that time.

Craig

'04 Sedona EX
  • sunkadsunkad Member Posts: 2
    Dear Folks

I recently went to a Kia dealership in Colorado. This is what I have negotiated and wanted to know whether this is a good deal

2004 New Kia Sedona EX with leather, ABS, Rear Spoiler, Sunroof.

Price before discount $23000

Rebates $5000

Price after discount -----$18,000

This does not include taxes.

Any comments are welcome

thanks

sunkad
    Thats a deal....I paid $20K(plus tax) about 6 months ago for ours. Jump on it!!

Craig

'04 Sedona EX
  • aafaaf Member Posts: 9
    Seems like a good price. In March 2004 my Sedona EX with ABS and sunroof had an MSRP with freight and handling of $24,040. I negotiated a price of $18,868 and then subtracted a $3000 rebate and $4000 trade-in allowance for a 1998 Windstar with 85,000 miles. Final take home cost with tax, DMV charges, etc was $12,958.20.

For the home oil change enthusiasts, I found the Kia oil filter (26300-35501)on a Hyundai parts site for about $38 and change for a case of 10. Of course there is shipping to consider but it was less than half the price of the dealer who charged $10.07. https://www.hyundaipartsonline.com/index.php
    aaf,

You mean you got your Sedona(which had a sticker of $24,040) and after the rebate you got it down to $15,868(before your trade)? No offense intended but this doesnt sound right. Was this a demo vehicle?

Craig

'04 Sedona EX
  • aafaaf Member Posts: 9
    Hi Craig,

I have the window sticker, purchase contract and odometer disclosure statement in front of me that all indicate it was a new 2004 Sedona EX. I verified the build date via the VIN on the Kia website. BTW,I also was given free routine maintenance for 36,000 miles.

I bought at the end of the month in March of 2004, paid cash and allowed my trade to go for about $1000 less than I should have. However, I think I got a good deal and I never met a car dealer who didn't make a profit...so I see it as a win-win situation.

I think the best tip I can give is to use the dealer invoice as a starting point for negotiation on a car. Research vehicles that are having trouble picking up market share and buy where there are a lot of vehicles on the lot at the end of the month in a slow time of the year. The most important thing is to always be ready to walk away.

I think that just as they give rebates to customers, they have dealer incentives to move stock. It just happens that the Sedona is a great value and I bet it gets more and more difficult to negotiate a below invoice price as the public becomes more aware of that fact.

aaf
  • begacjjbegacjj Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

Yesterday I purchased a new Sage Green 05 Sedona LX for $18,850 after $3000 rebate and before tax and licensing with the following options:

Value Package
    ABS
    DVD
    First Aid kit

MSRP was $23,485.00
    Invoice was $22,035.00

After rebate we ended up paying $3185 below invoice so I think we did good? First new car we purchased and it was a breeze. I ended up finding the dealer we used in Kirkland, WA through this site and they were able to offer me a much better deal than the Kia dealer closest to me. Salesman also threw in two roundtrip Airfare tickets to anywhere in the US including Hawaii and Mexico. The only catch is you have to stay a minimum 7 nights at specific hotels and condos but the prices are fair. All in all was very satisfied buying our Kia!

Chris J
    05 Sedona LX
    Congrats. That sounds like a good price on that Sedona. You got a lot for your < $19k. Hard to get such a nice package for that price in any other minivan.
  • bflahbflah Member Posts: 2
    We just bought a new 05 EX for 19899, after rebate 15899. Doc fee was 299. 16198 for a new EX!!! This dealership seemed it wanted to move stock. I'm sure they still made $, but how?
    b
  • montumontu Member Posts: 1
    That was an excellent price. Could you tell the dealer location, so that I wiould just go there and pick it if it is in michigan.
  • xfactorxfactor Member Posts: 78
    Edmunds does not currently list dealer invoice on kia.

What is the dealer invoice for the Kia Sedona LX and EX?
    Appreciate the help.
  • bflahbflah Member Posts: 2
    It's in Braintree MA 02184. One thing I forgot to mention, the price didn't include sales tax. Hope this helps with your negotiation- good luck.
  • jazacmomjazacmom Member Posts: 5
    Called the local Kia dealer concerning their ad in this weekend's paper. It says Base price for 2005 Sedona EX (w/leather, sunroof, abs, and more) is $26,880. Then they say take off the $4000 Kia rebate and another $3882 for their own discount. I called, they said to yes take off $7882 off of sticker price....Now my question is, do any of you who are in the know, think that I do just that...take it off of MSRP, or do I offer lower..closer to invoice..and then subtract the discounts?

Thanks in advance.
  • navyairnavyair Member Posts: 202
    Don't get confused with apples/oranges. The $4000 rebate is yours exclusive of the deal you reach with the dealer. If you choose to use it as downpayment, or whatever, it is the deal between Kia and you, not the dealer. $26880 sounds a bit high for the options you quoted unless there is an entertainment package.

However, if you can get it out the door for $18998 plus TTL, that is a pretty good deal no matter how you slice it. You might haggle for some other options you want, like a bug/stone protector installed, spare keys, hitch or something else. All in all, even if you take the deal "as is" you're getting a pretty decent deal.
  • jazacmomjazacmom Member Posts: 5
    Okay, so is the extra $3885 that they are offering a deal between Kia and the dealer and separate from any haggling that I may do to get closer to the invoice?

thx.
  • xfactorxfactor Member Posts: 78
    That's the very question I have asked.

I would say the extra $3885 off is the difference between MSRP on the KIA that no one should pay and dealer invoice. The problem is I have been unable to locate the dealer invoice amount for the LX or EX. (Edmunds no longer lists the dealer invoice amounts except on the option packages).

Without the dealer invoice amount you are left to wonder how much above or below dealer invoice you are paying.

As far as a dealer offering an amount off MSRP that includes a rebate its just a sales tactic. At the end of the day you need to look at the contract and see the bottom line price. For example the dealer may at contract time throw on destination charges which one could argue are or are not part of the starting point of MSRP or other add ons like "etching". If you are unsure of what to do ask for the contract to be written and get a copy but do not sign it. This way you could post the actual numbers and get feedback from the informed members here at edmunds.

A buddy of mine has an offer on an EX with DVD for $19,500 and he asked me if that was a good deal. I posted on edmunds to get the dealer invoice and once I obtain it I will find out his exact option packages and have him get a written estimate. Having this information and adding the dealer invoice price available on edmunds I can tell him the price above or below dealer invoice. After that its up to him how much he pays above or below that amount. Just not enough info right now.
  • carguy1234carguy1234 Member Posts: 233
    Has anybody attempted to place an order on the 2006 yet? Any word on the release data?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    You might check the 2006 Kia Sedona discussion.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jingram1jingram1 Member Posts: 1
    hey....still trying to figure out pricing....took the kia out agaain today for a test drive....man, so far what a beautifull van....like i said before on the last post i wrote...it is fully loaded. air, power windows, brakes, locks,trunk, seats, sunroof, leather int. cd/cassette, lumbar support....and the list goes on.....76k with 24k bumper to bumper warrenty on it.....nice inside and out......is 12,995.00 Canadian a good price??i guess roughly around 15,500 to 16,000 U.S.
  • leggoleggo Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for a Kia Sedona. How do I go about getting these rebates from Kia. Does anyone know if the front seats in the back can be removed. I have to put cargo through the side doors. I need all of the seats in the back of the van to come out.

Scott
  • averigejoeaverigejoe Member Posts: 559
    Did you have a trade-in?
    Messages on these boards which do not include accurate information about trade-ins and dealer add-ons are pretty much useless.

Make the boards valuable to shoppers. Here's how:

First things first... State the actual bottom line MSRP of the new car, as shown on the official, federal government mandated window (Monroney) sticker, which will include all factory and port installed standard and optional equipment and the destination or transportation charge.
    If you traded in a car, let us know, according to the Kelley Blue Book, the condition evaluation and trade-in value of the car you traded.
    Tell us the mileage of your trade-in.
    State the trade-in $ amount actually allowed on your sale contract.
    Then, list details and prices for all dealer installed options and any included (free?) maintenance or oil changes or extended warranties, wax jobs, pin striping, paint or fabric protection packages, Scotchgard, window tinting, "additional dealer markup", "market adjustment", "dealer preparation", or any other amounts which were a part of the deal. These items are DEALER PACS and nearly pure profit to the dealer. They are often itemized on an official looking, but totally unnecessary, addendum window sticker attached to and styled much like the official government required MSRP window sticker.
    Also indicate the amount of the "document fee" charged by the dealer for writing up and sending in paperwork done inside the dealership to ensure ownership is properly transferred, thereby completing the sale to protect the dealer. (This is actually just business overhead expense, similar to salesman commissions and the building's electric bill. As such, it is bogus, but most dealers get away billing the customer for it anyway. Truly, it is additional dealer profit.)
    It is not really necessary to itemize government charges such as registration, license plate, or EPA tire fees since dealers cannot negotiate these amounts anyway. Actually, the government is just using the dealers as tax collectors here.
    Finally, tell us about all rebates, incentives or subsidized financing which applied to your deal.

If you posted your deals earlier, please post a correction to include the above information.
    If you are going to post your deal in the future, please include all the above info in your post.

Thanks.
    Brand new 2004 Sedona EX with anti-lock brakes and sunroof and dealer-installed integrated DVD entertainment system, window tint, and pinstripe.

MSRP was $ 24,020 without dealer installed options.

The DVD was an additional $799, window tint $299, pinstripe $299 so full dealer sticker price was $ 25,417. That was not my purchase price.

September 2004 purchase price was $ 16,700 including all items listed above.

That does not include tax, license, nor the $350 document fee. (As part of the $16,700, I figure I paid $100 for the window tint and $40 for the pinstripe.)
    To complete the deal, I also bought a service contract for an additional $180. It prepays up to 12 oil and filter changes available during the first 36 months of ownership. $15 for each dealership oil change seemed like a good deal to me.

There was no trade-in.
    Rebates totalling $4500 were assigned to the dealer to arrive at the $16,700 price. Anyone get a better deal?
    Congrats! Sounds like a great deal if your Windstar was in average condition and $4000 was a fair allowance. How do you like your Sedona? And what gas mileage are you getting?
    Sounds like an excellent price, but your $16560 is misleading. The $350 doc fee should be included in the price. Shouldn't you have said $17,050 instead of $16,700 or $16,560? I'm surprised you considered the doc fee separate when posting your deal, after you spent all that time in the prior post explaining to people how to make their deal posts more useful for others.

Personally, I don't care if the dealer has a doc fee or not. For me, it is part of the TOTAL PRICE, and that is what I'm interested in. I won't demand that they remove it, but ff they want to add a big doc fee into the deal, then the rest of the price better be good enough to make up for it.
    While that information is helpful, we like to allow members to decide the information they'd like to post.

Generally, members are looking for the model, what options the buyer selected, and the price paid (not including tax, title, license or trade-in) and WHERE the vehicle was purchased.

Mandating that members include all of the information above sure would limit the number of members who are willing to post information about their deals, and we are grateful to members who take the time to share any info they can.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Hahaha. If you only read the headlines in the newspaper, you don't get the whole story.
    $ 16,560 is not misleading since the qualifications are included and explained. Of course, you have to read the post to understand it all.
    The title is accurate. All necessary info is included in the body text.
    I itemized doc fee to show how the price of the car was padded by the dealer. A charge for no added value. I thought some readers might be interested in that too.
    No nits here.
    I don't understand quite what you are trying to say. I think you should have said $17,050 in the title of your post, NOT $16,560. The $16,560 is not as meaningful to me as the figure that includes all charges, including doc fee, but excluding taxes and title/registration since those vary by state. In your case, that figure was $17,050.

Some people won't bother to read all the text in a long post such as yours. They will see $16,560 and think that is what you paid for your Sedona, when you actually paid $17,050 + tax/title/license.
    Haha. I have no power to mandate.

I am just a reader and sometimes poster making a suggestion. It is my wish list.

But, if more people would include all pertinent information the board would be more meaningful and useful, that's all.

Please forgive me all of you with ruffled feathers. And, please do continue to post in whatever manner you choose.

Thanks.
  • philbertophilberto Member Posts: 46
    2005 Sedona EX Standard Options Price Quote

19,425 bottom line (tag and title)
    20,616 with 6% FL sales tax and 0.5% county surcharge on first 5,000 ($25)

Basic Breakdown on Credits and Charges
    -3500 rebate
    -1500 dealer discount
    +400 service charge (dealer prep crap)

Is this a good deal? I like the proposed features of the upcoming 2006 Sedona, but price is not yet established and this new design does not have any track record. The added features look good, but I think the new styling with the slanted roof and "fly car" headlamps is not so nice. The 05 Sedona has a very nice look.

So, what do you think on the deal?
  • mcase2mcase2 Member Posts: 160
    Speaking of track record, have you followed the Kia Sedona problems forum? You might want to look before you leap
    Yes I have. I know the fires have been a huge concern. As far as I can tell, it's been on the 03 model. The alternator issue is covered. The battery issues are really minor. Anyone who refuses to change a old battery, especially when it is having trouble starting the van, can't cry when it explodes. You have to have some common sense.

Other issues have been covered. When I look at other vans, some of those complaints are far more extensive and NOT covered in some cases. Look at the EXPENSIVE Quest brake issues!

Overall, I do not see too many reasons not to buy this reasonably priced van.
  • mcase2mcase2 Member Posts: 160
    For about $21,000 now you can get into an Odyssey or Sienna. Hey, to each his own. Best wishes
    Well...the deal just got better. The dealer said I get another $1000 off for being a Caravan owner. The brings the 05 Sedona EX to 19,555 (tax included) out the door, Too good to resist :D !
    Thank you for your thoughtful suggestion.
    I understand that you do not understand. I'm sorry about that.
    I know I gave a lot of information. If you re-read it I think you will understand. I think most other readers understood.
    For those of us who like the whole cost story, details in the letter body are necessary.
    I think you are wrong about what I should write. It is my post.
    If readers only look at the titles and skip the text bodies, then they will miss the intent of the writers.
    Its just common sense.
    Again, thank you for your post.
    Your post #145 is misleading since it does not include enough information about the deal..
    No more personally-directed comments. If you don't like someone's post, please skip it rather than mocking it.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

AAF- You got an awesome deal! BlueDevils and I will get you to negotiate for our next Sedonas, any time.
  • boxwrenchboxwrench Member Posts: 55
    In reading your post about the price of Sedona's, you must be buying your Kia from Speedway/Daytona Kia? That price sounds like a good deal to me! We paid more than that for a 2004, but is has leather, 2 year Auto-Butler service, and a few more perks. The 1/2 percent additional tax makes me think you are in Volusia Cty.
    BTW they have been excellent to work with, the svc dept has addressed every one of our concerns, and been very courtious. I was a little dissapointed in some of the costs of certain services, but then they are a "DEALER", and not an independent service shop.
    I used to do a lot of work on my vehicles, but lately, i'm getting too old to crawl around on the garage floor, especially on a new Vehicle! Besides, about all you can do is change the oil now-a-days anyway.

Boxwrench
    Craig, you mentioned in your post #121 that aaf's deal price did not seem quite right.
    Responding to that, and to navyair's post #165, please consider:
    If you read aaf's posts carefully, you'll see that he got $1000 less for his trade than he should have. His '98 Windstar with 85000 miles in March of '04 was probably worth $5000 or more as a trade-in according to the Kelley Blue Book. But, he was allowed only $4000.
    That is the same as increasing the price of the new van by $1000. So, figure the final negotiated price of the van was really $16868 instead of the $15868 mentioned as the price in his post.
    The trade-in info lets us know more about the true cost of your new car. I like to use the Kelley Blue Book trade-in price to determine the true value of a used car.
    If you trade in a car and are allowed the KBB trade-in value plus sales tax, then you probably got a fair deal for your trade. Anything less than that could be considered an increase in the selling price of the new car.
    IF THE ALLOWANCE IS LESS THAN the KBB trade-in price plus sales tax, then you are probably better off selling it on your own if you can afford to have an extra car until its sold. Or, better yet, collect a cash deposit when you enter into a (carefully worded) contingent sales agreement with a private buyer(s) before you even go to the dealer. Unless the new car dealer who sells you a car offers more than the private buyer, then the private buyer gets it. If the dealer allows more, then your private bidder gets a chance to increase his offer above the dealer's offer.
    Hi boxwrench,

I almost missed this. Guess I'm spreading too many posts around here to keep up. :D

Nope! Not Daytona, but down the coast a little in St. Lucie County. I ended up opting for the LX at 15,695 before tax. It's a white one with gray and black interior. I like the looks inside and outside better. I hate luggage racks! I don't like 'fake' wood trim. The only features I miss are the electric vent windows and the fog lights. I found someplace that sells Kia fog lights for $81.90. I can wire them myself! Electric vent windows? I dunno, but I'm looking into it. I also want to change my white front grill to black. Very easy to do if I can find one in a salvage place. I'm working on getting a Kia tow hitch this weekend. When I'm done with this I will have it just the way I like it.

I don't plan on taking it to any Kia dealer for service unless there is a warranty issue. I don't trust dealers. Some are better than others, but too many times my cars have come out with more problems than they went in for...and not covered items either. These days I hire my own mechanic...someone I can trust! ;)
  • boxwrenchboxwrench Member Posts: 55
    Philberto,

I guess St. Lucie Cty. has the same tax rules as Volusia Cty. Ref: Black Grill-- Why not just paint the mesh with Flat Black paint? I did notice the LX models with all one color "Everything" didn't look as good. I bought a Kia bug shield/deflector and installed it myself and it makes the frontal area look much different, Better in my opinion. As for a Hitch, I checked with Kia and they want $250 - plus installation. I found a Reese hitch online for $113 at e-trailer.com How is your gas mileage? The way my wife drives, the best we get is about 16 mpg. Very disapointing.

Boxwrench
    Boxwrench,

Last two posts on the posting gas mileage board were for 05 Odys and they both reported 16mpg as well. Think how much gas you can buy with the savings between the two platforms.

You'll like the hitch you get from e-hitch...I've been using mine for about 18 months now. We left the wiring harness attached and inside the rear wiper fill compartment and pull it out when needed. You may wish to go through the subfloor and permanently mount it. My arrangement worked fine for the 2-3x a year we haul with it...and I never have to worry about corrosion on the wiring plug.

OBTW, wife had a flat on the OEM Hankooks (her second...no dear, a tire shouldn't need 10lbs of air every 2 days). I changed it in the driveway so I could get it repaired. Put the OEM spare on...some cosmetic damage on the sidewall from the spare rubbing up against the bottom of the van. Everyone might want to check to see that their cage isn't tightened this much. All I had done was add air a couple of times when it was on a lift.

For those changing a tire, watch the cage...it drops freely to the ground after you undo the bolt. I initially thought it might be a cable/winch set up like a pick up. Instead, it is attached on a hinge on one side (forward side of car). You start unscrewing the bolt (after removing plastic cover on floor of van), the front of the cage (at rear bumper) lowers about 3". You then need to stop, and undo a wing nut (covered liberally in sound deadener/undercoating) and manually lower the cage to the ground.

Or, you can do as I did, and undo the bolt, not knowing the above, and have the front of cage drop the 8" or so to the ground attached by the hinge in back. Sturdy cage, so it won't hurt it. Somehow, lying on my back and lowering the cage on the roadside just probably isn't going to happen, so I'll stick with my "discovery" method.

Will post again if I discover anything different about putting the spare back in the cage and putting it up.

We have about 38k on the OEMs (I used snow tires this winter 47k overall) and plenty of tread left. I expect to get about another year out of these tires unless spouse continues to find road debris. Tire repair in Twin Cities has reached the cost of almost 1/2 a new tire, so road hazard warantee is a definate plus when I buy replacements. ($12, free rotation, free flat fixes, extended warantee vice $27 single flat repair)