Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Kia Sedona Prices Paid and Buying Experience

15678911»

Comments

• letoleto Member Posts: 23
    Hi,
    what dealer was that? Is this a NEW or USED car?
  • ericderekericderek Member Posts: 5
    It was a new 2008. 20 miles on the car.

Kia of Mt. Olive. I got the last 2008 Sedona. The 2010s should be arriving shortly, so I'd think there may be incentives for the 2009s soon.
  • kingof8skingof8s Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone tell me what they are paying for their 2008 Sedona EX with Luxury package for? Whats the best deal going on? Looking to purchase one next few days. Also I own a 2006 model and enjoying the van very much. Are the 2009 very similar to 2006?

Thank you'
  • kingof8skingof8s Member Posts: 2
    I am sorry, I meant to ask about the 2009 model and not the 2008. Like to get a 2008 but it's hard to find one.
  • dudette3dudette3 Member Posts: 45
    Hi! I am looking to possibly purchase tomorrow. I am wondering what others are paying for a new 2009 Kia Sedona LX, no additional options. The MSRP is 25040 including destination - I am a bit confused by this because the edmunds site lists MSRP as 22040 including destination.

The salesman said the price would be around 22K +TTL, but may be able to get a good deal as they are trying to make a record by tomorrow.

Would really appreciate any help!
  • chiliechilie Member Posts: 2
    looking at a used 2008 EX for sale by owner, low mileage (under 10k), how much should I pay?

Should I wait for incentives on 2009 model?

Appreciate any feedbacks from people in similar situation.
  • sporttimesporttime Member Posts: 17
    I was offered $500-$1,000 below invoice + TTL on a new 2009 Odyssey EX-L; solid deal? I wanted to get the $1,250 factory to dealer rebate but unsure if they'd go lower. I might be able to do better with another dealer in the $30K range and then factor in the rebate and a possible trade-in?

Still want to drive a Sienna and Sedona again. I like the looks of the Sienna better but the price and package of the Sedona is tough to pass up. $2,000 cash back makes it harder and I just heard from a local dealer they are selling at just above invoice.

So what do all you experts think? Honda is superior so pay more now to last longer (I take care of my cars and expect them to last; current car is 14 years old)? Save thousands and get the Kia now? Or even wait for hopefully better rebates from all manufacturers and try again during December when salesman are more desperate?
  • stushstush Member Posts: 62
    I think you need to go into the Honda Odyssey forum and read about the transmission failures they are having. Granted, these are older models but they keep failing after replacement. It seems Honda won't admit there's a problem. Maybe the 09's have a newer transmission, I don't know. I have a 07 Entourage, From June of 06, I love the van, I've had a couple of the early model common problems that popped up but the dealer has been the best. They didn't even charge me for the front rotors I had replaced at 30,000 miles. I assumed they covered it under warranty, never asked, didn't want to point out a mistake if they made one. The Sedona is the exact same thing. It all comes down to the dealer. Are they going to honor the warranty by just replacing or fixing any and all problems that may arise. No questions asked. Get it done and be on your way. As it should be!!
  • sporttimesporttime Member Posts: 17
    Thanks for the info. With the relatively slim difference in price between an Odyssey EX-L and a Sedona EX with comparable options, sounds like the Honda would be the better long term value, right?

Is it true that shopping at the end of the year (from mid-Dec. on) is better in terms of less customers and better ability to get price breaks from salesmen needing to hit end of month and end of year quotas?

And even though I'm dealing online with the dealers' internet staff, when I've gone into the dealers they still pass me to a salesman. So what's the point of doing all the advance legwork (other then they know that we know what's going on) if I'm still gonna get treated as if I walked in off the street?

If I want to do a trade-in there to save time, should I wait until a firm price has been set for the new car? What if they balk at that point? I can't sign something first if it says no trade-in and then do a trade in, but can't they change their mind on price after I mention a trade?

When do I mention the holdback (I don't want it but I want them to know that I'm aware of it) and the current $1,250 factory rebate?

What's the deal with the KBB numbers they pull up to justify their trade in rate? Is that what dealers are suggesting to pay and not what dealers are actually paying?

As a follow up to my initial post, the dealer is now asking if I would buy the car for $500 back of invoice? I am unfamiliar with this expression. Is it the same as $500 below invoice or is it something else like after taxes?

And can I still negotiate on the $1,250 factory to dealer incentive after we have agreed on a price or does the price we agree on include all rebates, incentives, etc.?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter is looking to see if you were looking to purchase a Toyota or Honda vehicle but after doing some comparison shopping, purchase a Hyundai or Kia because of price/value . Please send your daytime phone number to ctalati@edmunds.com by Friday, October 9, 2009.
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    If you keep your cars a long time then the kia has the warranty for you. 5/50 and 10/100. Unless you really like the honda better go kia. After 10 years there won't be much difference in value between the two anyway. There should be a big selling price difference as well.
  • ywedmywedm Member Posts: 1
    We are looking at van for 7 passengers. Can anyone who bought 2010 sedona recently and share their price and experience? Why the price last year is much lower than 2010 sedona edmund price? Thanks
  • newstargazernewstargazer Member Posts: 6
    We are in the same boat. I have been looking at the Odyssey EX-L but would really like to get memory seats and adjustable pedals option at a reasonable price. If anyone has recently purchased the EX model with the luxury package, I would appreciate some kind of feedback regarding pricing.
  • newstargazernewstargazer Member Posts: 6
    Hi,

Just wanted to share with others. I had sent emails to few Kia dealers in the area and got quotes ranging from $27,400 to $27,900 for a 2010 EX with the Luxury and Entertainment package. Is it worth paying this for the Sedona knowing that these vans depreciate so much in the first year? Anyone else received any recent quotes for the 2010 Sedona?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter for a major daily newspaper is looking for someone in the market currently for a minivan or soon to be in the market. Please send your daytime phone number to ctalati@edmunds.com by July 7, 2010.
  • tree100tree100 Member Posts: 2
    Hello there everyone, please take your time in reading this message. I would like to share my experience in my Kia Sedona L, to tell the truth ill first tell you the description its a Kia Sedona L Petrol 2.5 Midnight Black colour. Now we bought this car and its a beautiful very spacey great lovely car! And the spending is going good as well! But then this this came we are in need for so much cash and we need to now sell our lovely memoriable car, we always looked after it, very easy to drive mine is manual, very nice and easy beautiful car! So really I think a Kia Sedona might not be heard of but its an absoloute beauty. Better than a Honda I say, im kind of asking for £4,000 and the mileage is only 41,030. So if anyone is anyway intrested in my lovely Kia Sedona L? :P
  • tree100tree100 Member Posts: 2
    The pricing for over 70,000 is normally over £2,500 and the pricing that are about £4,000 are about 48,000 and over.
  • thomasshithomasshi Member Posts: 3
    I got a few quotes for 2010 Sedona LX with power package (MSRP 26k, including destination fee) for about 21.5k. Anyone got a better price on that?
  • douginmadouginma Member Posts: 19
    Hi,

We just put a deposit on a Sedona LX with the Power Package (ie power sliding doors and windows) yesterday. After all rebates, we're paying $20,990, so your price seems good.

Not sure where you're located, but we're in Mass and are buying it form Lev Kia, Framingham, MA. They didn't have the color (red) we wanted on the lot so they're swappig with another dealership.
  • haggardhaggard Member Posts: 92
    My advice is to buy something else if you are planning on keeping this car for more than 60K miles, and don't expect the resale values to improve any time soon. We have an 06 LX that hasn't seen its 4th birthday yet, but we had two years of high mileage and the basic warranty is up. All of a sudden, a new problem every week. These cars look great, are comfortable and all that, but after 60K, I wouldn't sell it to my worst enemy. We know people in a similar situation with their EX, just a very well dressed piece of junk. That 10 year powertrain warranty seems like a good deal, but you'll spend hundreds (if not thousands) replacing the a/c parts, electronics, O2 sensors, and all the other cheap components it doesn't cover.

I
  • chiliechilie Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the info. I ended up buying a used Honda odyssey with extended warranty from someone I knew. Honda's are expensive even used. I have to admit It is a great car, smooth ride even if it now has 60k miles. No major problems so far except that I had to buy new suspension in the back which was not covered by the extended warranty. $500..... When it comes down to car repairs. I never win. Hopefully we will be home free for a while. Tkx
  • dbaron4dbaron4 Member Posts: 2
    My friend bought a leftover 2010 Kia Sedona LX (no other options) for between $21,000 and $22,000 at the start of this year. Was that a good price?
    I bought a 2008 Sedona in June/July 2008. I traded in a Honda Odyssey with about 103,000 miles on it. The transmission was going and the power doors did not work properly. I had bought this used a few years earlier from a Honda dealer and was not happy with the purchase. I looked at new Honda Odyssey and Toyota Mini Vans, both were quoted in the $28-$30k+ range. The Kia was in the $23-$25k range (sorry, I just don't remember the exact price). While I contemplated the future trade in value, quality, status symbol (lots of Honda's, Mercedes and BMWs in my area), I decided on the KIA. My reasons were: 1) I won't be driving it much, my babysitter will put on the most mileage. Why do I need to pay to put her in a nicer car; 2) I have young kids (6 and 4 at the time). Kids are going to mess up the car. Again, why do I need to spend extra money to for someone to ruin the car; 3) Trade in will be less, but so is the initial cost - a wash in my mind; 4) Lower quality - I figure I will have to pay more for repairs, but the given the lower initial price - I kind of budgeted for that. I figure as long as I can spend less than an extra $2k, I am coming out okay.
    I am now due for the 30,000 mile check up on my 2008 Sedona.
    First, I had to have the timing belt replaced because it was making an awful noise. Apparently the pulley that tightens it doesn't work properly. This is a known problem. I called my dealer (not the one I bought the car from), and they fixed the problem under warranty (done around 20k miles).
    The Brake Rotors are warped. (when braking, the car shudders) Again, this is a common problem - do an internet search, but is not covered under warranty. I didn't figure it out until too late. I haven't had them replaced yet, but expect I will have to pay for them. This will be part of my 30k service.

My original tires need to be replaced. 30k miles seem a little low for tire replacement, but again, I bought a KIA, and to keep costs down, the parts are not the highest quality. Again, these will be replaced at the 30k service. (Researching tires right now.)

My rear view cabin mirror broke yesterday. - Not the rear view mirror to see cars behind you, but the one that lets you see the kids in back seat.

Otherwise the car has been fine. Gas mileage is okay. Nothing great, but no complaints. My kids and their friends can all fit in it, even with car seat. I can carry lots of junk (we do lots of garage sales). Multiple Trips from North NJ to Maryland, Virgina, Philadelphia without any issues.

I see the complaints go up once this model style gets above 60k miles. I hope this is not true as I'd like to get the car into the 75-90k range before selling it.

Any questions or comments write to me at bagel3456@gmail com
  • eppy1999eppy1999 Member Posts: 7
    I just purchased a 2012 Sedona LX with the $1500 power pack and $50 Wheel lock add on. MSRP for the car is $27250. I received the $2500 customer cash rebate, $1500 competitive car rebate and a dealer discount of $2444 bringing the adjusted price to $20,806 +ttl. I did trade in my vehicle so I don't know how much that assisted me in getting this deal. I hope this helps anyone looking.
  • grrldrivergrrldriver Member Posts: 13
    For starters, every dealer was out of 2011 Kia's by June. The lowest I saw was ONE 2011 EX, advertised for $23K, list $30K (or something like that), yet people posting here seem to be getting TEN THOUSAND OFF sticker price. WTF?

Furthermore, what I want is a clean used Kia. I was told they had the worst resale prices in the industry -- literally, the lowest. But USED Kias (and Hyundai Entourages) are at such a premium, I have been beaten out 3 times, to buy a 4 year old vehicle at $13-14K. That's not cheap, if the owner (according to older posts here circa 2008-2009) were paying only $18-19K for a brand NEW Sedona EX; that means it barely depreciated at all in 4 years and 50K. What is going on here?

I do notice that Kia's (and many other cars) have had exploding price increases. Some of this is going for what I consider very unnecessary options (that are now unavoidable) like power sliding doors and liftgates, rear parking cameras, and so on. They've made a very affordable vehicle now almost as pricey as a Honda or Toyota, without the supposed resale value.

4 years ago when I bought my last minivan (Nissan Quest), I paid $11K. In 2005, I bought a minivan -- $11K. In 2002, I bought a minivan -- $11K. Prices were incredibly stable. These were ALL 4 year old vehicles with less than 50K miles.

Yet this year, I can't TOUCH anything for $11k or close. The lowest prices are Kia's, but are rarely under $14K -- that's a 40% price increase! Furthermore, dealers are very arrogant....act like they don't care if you buy or not. Or that they always sell at "full asking price". Yesterday, a dealer dragged me across town (60 mile round trip, with gas at $3.79!) to see a dirty, stained, scratched Hyundai Entourage, which I could not drive (it hadn't been to the service dept) and demanded $14K, and that they were not giving up so much as $1 on the deal. And he had a another buyer -- she went to lunch while he was supposedly evaluating her trade, and in that hour, he was trying to sell to me! behind her back! nice guy! -- and mind you this for a car I was not permitted to drive, filthy, scratched, etc. He was not negotiating. He didn't have to, because he claimed "everyone wants minivans".

Of course, other dealers and common sense tell me most carmakers aren't even producing minivans, due to low sales, and even Kia is discontinuing the Sedona after 2012! (The Entourage is long gone.) That means of course, NO lower price minivans, just Hondas and Siennas for $40K new, $25K used.

I'm just having horrible, horrible problems buying a Kia Sedona EX (2006 or newer) or a Hyundai Entourage in the NE Ohio area -- I'm no youngster, and have bought many cars, and 4 vans and I've literally never seen anything like this. The dealers practically spit on me when I walk in the door (if they even acknowledge my presence). I've had handshake deals, and deals with actual buyer agreements that were violated, as they sold cars out from under me, sometimes by only an hour or so ("we're a first come, first serve business").

In the past, I could usually PICK the best used van from a selection of 4-5 -- now I can't find ANYTHING. The prices are way, way up -- this makes NO SENSE if (according to older posts here), people were paying IN THE TEENS for Sedonas just 3 years ago!!!! And dealers are not dealing at all. I mean literally. Literally, yesterday a dealer told me he did not have to lower his asking price one cent to make a sale. He didn't need the sale. He didn't even have to clean the car to sell it! He did not have to let me test drive it. That's how CONFIDENT he was to sell at full asking price, 40% over what I have paid in the past.

I don't get it. I'm doing something wrong -- what? What is it I have to do to find a new (used) van?
  • eppy1999eppy1999 Member Posts: 7
    Well all I can tell you is the price of the Sedona seems to be going down. I bought my car from Superior Kia in Cincinnati. I would recommend checking out their website deals on a Sedona, call them or email and see what they would do for you on an EX and then use that as leverage for your area or travel down to Cincy. I was able to get such a good deal because I qualified for all but the military discount. Good luck to you!
  • typer_801typer_801 Member Posts: 29
    edited September 2011
    Couple of points.

You're asking why are used car prices so high? Because that financial implosion in 2008 drove down car sales to levels we're still haven't recovered from (remember the implosions of Ford & Chrysler). Before that the industry was selling 16M vehicles / year in the US. I don't believe the US will crest 12.5M this year and the past two years have been better than late 2008 and 2009.

In other words, there are that many fewer new cars being sold, most buyers for many reasons (credit problems, debt reduction, declining household income, etc.) can't afford new and are gobbling up used cars driving up prices. It's gonna be this way for another few years too.

So, best option is to buy new, second best is to keep what you got and if neither of those works, buy used.

Finally, I have a 2006 Sedona EX (in SW Ohio) that I got a good deal on back in early 2007. I can't imagine selling private party for anything close to the prices you're being quoted, because I just can't imagine anyone paying it. I'm probably ~12 months from being ready to sell, but given there are at least some people trolling these boards, I'll post back here when it's up for sale.

btw-I'm still lamenting the deal I didn't act on in Dec 2008. I was quoted $8K off a new WRX STi (Yark Subaru in Toledo) and was eligible for 0% financing for 60 months. I declined the deal. Three and half years later I can't buy that car used for the same price, nor with that interest rate. A lot has changed in the car buying world.
  • chenmh1027chenmh1027 Member Posts: 2
    Anyone recently bought 2011 Sedona Lx? The 3000 dollar incentive sound attractive. Plus, some dealer discount.
  • typer_801typer_801 Member Posts: 29
    edited October 2011
    I have some questions re: the current incentives. I see 2 $2500 cash offers based on Edmunds data. One is Retail 'Customer Cash', the other is Lender 'Bonus Cash'. Not sure if those two can be combined or not. If so, the deals are back!!! There's also the Loyalty and Conquest bonuses are $1500 respectively.

So if you can combine the Customer Cash ($2500) and Bonus Cash ($2500) along with either the Loyalty or Conquest ($1500), you're talking $6500 off BEFORE any dealer discount. Got an inquiry in with a local dealership to confirm.

I'm thinking they can be combined because I see 3 2012 EX's discounted $7500 on a local dealer website, (Jeff Wyler Kia Easgate).
  • madatcarmadatcar Member Posts: 6
    That is excellent if the rebates can be combined - to get a loaded EX w/ luxury pkg and navigation for 26900 (34400 - 7500) is great.
    Let us know if they can be.
    TIA
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    You may want to look at a used Chevy Uplander or Pontiac Montana SV6. These vans depreciate quickly. I recently bought a 2007 Uplander LT with 55k miles for just under $12k (taxes included). My 2007 model still had 11 months of the 5 year or 100k mile powertrain warranty. These vans have some issues but if they have been fixed under warranty like mine was then it could be a decent buy. Avoid models with the power sliding doors as they have been very problematic. Good luck.