Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Kia Sedona Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• shi7shi7 Member Posts: 3
    Happy New Year!

Thank you for the responses. I'm going to look for an 03 or 04 EX- I MUST have the sunroof & ABS so we'll see what I can find in the 03 otherwise I'll go with the 04.
    I'm wondering on the leather pkg- if it's worth the $$/comfort, etc... I do have 2 kids (5 & 9)and a dog but then again I live where it snows 5-6 mo out of the year and don't want cold seats. :-) I plan on keeping this baby for a long time so the 10 year warranty really hooked me... (I'll get the SUV when the kids get their own cars)
    I also did a comparison between Honda/Toyota/Mazda and Dodge and the Kia has so many more options for the money and the best fuel mpg, very impressed with the 5 star rating as well... I won't be buying until late Feb so I hope the great incentives (cash backs) are out there then...
  • chrisbgoodchrisbgood Member Posts: 77
    I did get the leather and we do like it for the kids and us (two kids, one 4 and one 8). Would I preferr heated seats? Yes! We have them in our second car (a 2003 MINI) and they are great. But if they are not offered the leather is easy to clean and seems to have heald up well so far.

The leather is an inexpensive option -- go for it if you want it! The sunroof is OK -- wife loves it (it's her car). The MINI's goes across the entire car (front to back so it's better -- but it's a different car.
  • paramedicoparamedico Member Posts: 8
    Well I've finally entered the world of familial domesticity............I OWN A MINIVAN.........got a 2004 Sedona EX with absolutely everything for $20,253.00 out the door. That included 2k in rebates and a beater they gave me a grand for. Now the Sorento is officially mine and wifey has her "mom mobile".
  • shi7shi7 Member Posts: 3
    Once I get my Sedona with my leather seats (might as well have it all), I would be interested in getting a car starter installed. I had this on my 96 Windstar and positively loved it. It's great when your running after the kids in the AM trying to get ready for work/school and can just push that button and once you get in the car it's warm... I'm curious if this would effect the warranty at all? Would it be something I could still have installed but have it done at a Kia dealership? Of course I can do without it but it's a great inexpensive extra.

Also, on the Kia website I don't see an entertainment option but have seen people writing in about getting the DVD/Entmnt option- I am assuming this is only for the 2004?

Never say Never, it sounds like you got a good deal, obviously you are happy with the Kia products as this is your 2nd one! I am considering the Sedona and it's great to see people are buying them and are pleased!
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    I've never investigated this, but I imagine most dealerships offer remote starters and installation. I can't imagine how a properly installed unit would void any warranty.
  • paramedicoparamedico Member Posts: 8
    Actually, it's our third Kia product. Began the experience with a 2000 sportage. O.K. truck, not a whole lot of testosterone to it but it was solid. Couple that with the way we've been treated by the dealership regarding service and it's been win-win for us.
  • killerkkillerk Member Posts: 55
    Hi, I live in Northvale, Bergen County, NJ.
    If any of you could recommend a dealership (or to avoid one) I'd greatly appreciate it.
    I'm also close to Rockland County, NY.

I didn't get to review ALL the postings. So what are the most noticeable modification from 2003 to 2004 model? Called a couple of dealers in the area and they have some 2003s available. But if 2004 is substantially improved, then I'm willing shell out extra $$$. Thx in advance.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Are gas costs keeping people away from the dealers?

Steve, Host
  • aafaaf Member Posts: 9
    I purchased a new 2004 Kia Sedona EX with sunroof and ABS last night for $11,868. cash with $3000. in rebates and $4000. in trade for a 1998 Windstar GL with 85,000 miles on it. That totals $18,868. for a car with an MSRP of $24,040. There are apparently some incredible dealer incentives out there right now till 3/31. I bought from Herb Chambers Kia of Rehoboth, MA. I figure I can't go wrong at that money for a new car. I'll let you know after I drive it for a few years.
  • minivanfrankminivanfrank Member Posts: 83
    Hello,
    I am looking for an '04 Sedona LX for my sister. Has anyone had any luck in negotiating the removal of the "dealer holdback" figure on the invoice pricing? After reading about it on this site I do not believe that this should be an additional charge. The Edmunds TMV price does not take this into account as an additional charge.
    Thanks in advance!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Did you read this article?

Dealer Holdback

Usually the invoice prices are inflated by the holdback amount and holdback isn't on the invoice as a line item - it sounds like you saw it listed on the invoice?

Since dealerships consider holdback money "sacred" and are unwilling to share any portion of it with the consumer, I suggest you focus instead on the out the door price.

Steve, Host
    yes, all that matters is the price of the vehicle. get the holdback 'deducted' and you can/should expect to pay 2-3% over 'invoice' to 'make up for it.' ignoring rebates, you can't expect to walk into a dealer and pay invoice price minus the holdback on ANY new vehicle. that leaves basically no profit for the dealer.

minivanfrank, good luck finding a sedona for your sister.
  • minivanfrankminivanfrank Member Posts: 83
    Thanks for the responses. When I purchased my "02 the dealer holdback was listed in the "dealer cost" column on the invoice that I was shown (and still have a copy of). Steve, I did read and print out that article and gave it to the sales manager to let him know that I now knew what "dealer holdback" actually was.
    Although I did not expect him to share any of this with me, I did not feel that it should be listed as an additional dealer cost either. In my final negotiations with the dealers that I dealt with, The "out the door" price was my deciding factor. it just irked me to see this figure on an invoice (unless the invoice was "doctored"...I did not get that impression).
    I am sure that most of you asked to see the dealer invoice sheet when purchasing your vehicle. Was the dealer holdback listed on your invoices?
    F

p.s. - My sister decided on the EX now...did not like the middle bench seat of the LX. :-)
  • steve999steve999 Member Posts: 9
    That's the price I just got from salesperson. It would be $2k less if I own and van and if it was a Kia. We are in the van market and been eyeing the Maxda MPV. Can get a new one for $19k but the Kia is $3k less so it's tempting. Havent looked at one yet but will soon. Does everyone like theirs? How is it holding up and is the service dept good?

Thanks
  • aafaaf Member Posts: 9
    Steve999,
    I bought a 2004 Sedona EX for $18,868. before trade, rebates, etc. The MSRP was $24,040. loaded with everything except leather and DVD. I've had it for 3 months and 5,000 miles and am so far very pleased with both highway and local driving. I bought when they were giving 36,000 miles or three years of free routine maintanence. When I had a question, I used the internet site for KIA America and got my question answered satisfactorily with a phone call 2 days later. I have owned four previous minivans - 2 Windstars, 1 Grand Caravan and 1 Plymouth Voyager. All were satisfactory to me, but the engine/drivetrain in the Kia is the best I've experienced.
    I would suggest at least ABS for any new Sedona. I don't know where you live, but here in southern New England, the deals on the Sedona's are great. I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't do a little better on the LX price. Good luck!
  • lvthatmouselvthatmouse Member Posts: 4
    Just got back from the dealer. Walked in and got a price of $20,495 for 2004 Sedona EX w/abs and sunroof. How do I get him down further - haven't even started negotiating. I do have a plymouth voyager, so there's an incentive of $1000 for that,plus the trade in value of about $1400 (it's a 94 w/105700 miles, and I see they have a special 2,000 incentive also which I think can be combined with the competive $1,000 incentive. We want the brakes and sunroof unless there is a way to get them "thrown in"? This is the first time I have to negotiate myself and I don't want to get a higher price b/c I'm a woman (if you know what I mean) HELP!
    Get some price quotes via Internet from a few local dealers. You can do this through www.kia.com or through some other third-party websites. Also, you could price out the Sedona on www.carsdirect.com. I got some quotes via email when Sedona shopping 2 years ago and it was very convenient. Several dealers offered me excellent prices on the Sedona with exactly the equipment I wanted, and that was back when the bargaining room below MSRP was much less due to excitement and higher demand for Sedona.

You might end up buying from one of these dealers, or at a minimum these quotes will be a good reference point and leverage when negotiating with your current dealer candidate.
  • tessietessie Member Posts: 1
    I'm planning on buying a used (2002) Sedona EX soon and would like some recommendations for dealers in Southern California. Los Angeles County would be best, but Orange, San Bernardino, and Riverside counties would also be ok. Where can I get the best deal? I want a white EX with leather and ABS but no sunroof.

It would also be nice to know which are nice places to deal with in terms of their service departments.

Tks,

Tessie
    Good luck finding what you are looking for. I think it will be very difficult to find a Sedona equipped exactly the way you want. My understanding is that most Sedonas with ABS, leather, and/or moonroof come with all 3. Sedona has only about 6 options. The EX Sedonas, at least in the 2002 model year, seemed to mostly be either base models with no options, fully loaded with all options, or base mode;s with ABS as the only option. Leather + ABS with no moonroof will be a very tough combination. On top of that, you have a specific color preference. Plus you are looking in the used market, so it will be tougher to know exactly which options exist on the Sedonas available.

If you are willing to accept a moonroof, your search will be easier. Still, I do not see that many used Sedona EX models on the market so you may need to expand your search beyond southern California to find what you want.

Good luck in your search. We really enjoy our 2002 Sedona EX, and I recommend the vehicle without reservation.
  • busygalbusygal Member Posts: 3
    We purchased a 2004 EX in March with just leather & abs, no moonroof so they do exist. Good luck in your search for a used one.
  • brewerbrewer Member Posts: 1
    We bought a 04 LX in Feb this year. We did a lot of research on the web before we even went to a dealer. Started off with the Caravan (we also have a 93 Voyager with 163,000 miles) and they wouldn't quote us anything below $26,000!!! Started looking at the Kia Sedona's and liked what we read. Went in to test drive one and came out with a new 04 for $16,900 - total cost- no trade. Have 8,000 on it now - and no problems at all - we love it. I enjoy the way it handles. Gas mileage is lower than we wanted but still not bad, 20 city and our last trip was 23 hwy. Buying the Kia was so easy - one price for the LX and one price for the EX. We opted for the basic LX with no add-ons.
  • xvrmxvrm Member Posts: 10
    I, too, opted for 04 LX with no add-ons. Mine is Sage Green, was purchased May 16th, has 2500 miles on it now. I, too, got a price of $16900 -- total cost -- no trade. I am just SOOO happy with my Sedona. It has a great ride, is quiet, peppy engine and 5speed automatic. I think it's a luxury vehicle -- and the price? A steal!
  • craigmricraigmri Member Posts: 243
    Local dealer is offering new 2004 Sedona EX for $16,000 plus tax and tag(this price includes all rebates and customer loyalty offer). This is for an EX with no leather, Sunroof or ABS.

Has me considering trading in my '02 EX on a new '04. Ya'll think I'm crazy??

Craig
    Traded in our '02 EX with Sunroof and ABS. We had 21,000 miles on it and they gave us $12,000 trade. We paid $12,900 for it 6 months ago(we bought it second hand from a Ford dealer) so I was happy with that trade.

We bought a new '04 EX with Leather, Sunroof, ABS, rear spoiler and Tow Hitch. Sticker was $25,755 Before rebates we got to $23,651. Then we get $2500 factory rebate then another $1000 owner loyalty and we're at $20,151 plus tax(we paid tax on the difference of the trade and the new van so we saved a little there.

Overall I'm pleased with the deal. We originally purchased the used '02 Kia to see if we would like one before buying new since we realize the new one will depreciate significantly. Since I knew I got a good deal on our used '02 I knew if I wanted to trade it in I would do OK. basically the Kia passed the test so we wanted a decked out new one.

The wife wanted the Sage Green/Beige combo so thats what we got with the Beige leather interior. basically the only option we didn't get was the DVD entertainment system. I didn't want that anyhow because while in the Smoky mountains(we're there alot) I wanted the kids to look out the window and enjoy the scenery and not the DVD movies :-)

A couple of things already seem to be not right on the ride home. there is a subtle vibration in the 55-65 mph speed. I suspect a wheel balance issue. The other issue is the air conditioning didn't work coincidently when we left the dealer but began to work just fine after 5 minutes. We'll keep an eye on that.

Been a long term Hyundai owner since '88 having owned several Hyundais and now the Hyundai/Kia relationship is still drawing me to their great vehicle values.

Craig
    '04 Sedona EX
  • monty2222monty2222 Member Posts: 48
    Went to Kia.com and submitted my exact specs to four dealers for quotes. Two dealers responded. One wanted me to call for more info, but the other had exactly what I wanted on the lot and gave the following price breakdown. MSRP $26,585, Dealer cost $24,540, selling price after rebates $21,040. This is for Sedona EX, White/Platinum, leather, DVD system, 4-wheel antilock brakes, spoiler, tow hitch. I understand from the website the rebates are $2,500 or 0%, plus $1,000 owner loyalty or competative rebate. I will also be trading my 96 Grand Caravan, and am assuming the price they gave does not include this yet(wholesale about $3,000). Any comments welcome (soon). Going to the dealer SATURDAY.
    Monty,

That price sounds about right considering your getting the DVD system. As for the Trade in......Your probably better off selling it on your own if you have the time and patience.

Your gonna love the Sedona.

Craig
    '04 EX Sedona
    When you hit the Finance office to sign the papers they always offer a sheet of different additions for the vehicle (alarm, payment insurance, fabric protection, etc.). One of the options was chip protection, which I understood to be something applied to the front on the hood and side mirrors to prevent rock chips and scratches. Anyone select this option? Is it an adhesive film they stick on? How does it hold up?
    Never heard of that one. I would not buy it unless they show you good materials on what it is, what it does, how long it lasts, guarantee, etc. And only if the price seemed reasonable.

When we bought our 2002 EX in February 2002, the 'finance guy' did not try to sell us a bunch of extras. It was quite pleasant, actually.
    I found some info on the products. Here is one: http://www.clearmask.com/ I need to see this stuff on a vehicle before I would try it. the 3M website gives a list of professional installers, and there are some near me. Maybe I will stop by.
  • flyguyflyguy Member Posts: 2
    I live in Upstate NY. One local dealer has prices of 18,500 to 19,500 +/- on various Sedona EX's on his lot, they are marked as "clearance" and include sunroofs, ABS, and first aid for the most part. Not having purchased new since 1997, I see that the power of the internet has obviously effected buying.

My question is this: The base invoice for an '04 EX is just under 21,000 including destination charges. What has the dealer factored in to get to these prices and what do I have left to negotiate with?

I need to purchase soon and we are in love with these vans and their warranties.
    flyguy,

My guess is at that price the dealer is factoring all rebates($2500 factory and $1000 owner loyalty). In addition he's probably selling at invoice. If you can get a loaded EX with leather, sunroof and ABS for $19,500 buy it fast!!! That sticker is probably over $25,000!!

I recently bought an '04 EX with every option(excpet for DVD system) for $20,175 and I thought that was a fantastic buy.

Craig
    '04 Sedona EX
    Leather
    Sunroof
    ABS
    Rear window spoiler
    Tow hitch
  • flyguyflyguy Member Posts: 2
    Craig,

Thanks for the reply. I got the car this morning--'04 Sage/plat EX with ABS and Sun roof for 17,900 before trade and tax/tags/title. I think "I done good." It had to come off another lot so the deal is tentative (in writing) until I see the van Friday.....got a 4.5% loan too.

FWIW--I dealt with both local (Syracuse area) KIA dealers. Last night I walked out on one after "Bad Cop" came out and got pretty aggressive. This moring I went to his competitor (begins with an "L") and they accepted my first offer, which I think is about $100 over invoice, with no haggling at all. The rest of the experience was a very pleasant experience.

Tonight the other dealer called wanting me to come back to re-negotiate. Heheheheh.

Research is worth it's weight in gold. Sites like this are great for consumers.
    flyguy,

You stole it! Great job! Can you believe you got so much vehicle and warranty for so little money? Think about it? A Seven passanger luxury family mover loaded up for the same money as a nice Honda Civic?????

I sincerely hope you and your family enjoy your new Sedona. True you may experience some bugs that need to get worked out. Kia isnt 100% out of the box like the leading car companies but once you get any gremlins worked out the Sedona is a dream....We loved our '02 so much we upgraded to an '04.

Craig
    Say a consumer buys a vehicle for $20,000. But oops - the dealer also charged a $3,000 doc fee. Which is more useful to other consumers - the $23,000 figure or the $20,000 figure? I anxiously await your reply.
  • bluesky2bluesky2 Member Posts: 14
    We are going to buy an '04 Sedona in the next 2 weeks. September rebates were $4,500 but we missed those. The October rebate is $2,500. Do you think it would be better to jump for the $2,500 and buy before the 31st, or should we gamble that the October rebates may be better? Also, the vehicle we want is on the lot and we don't want to lose it.
    Bluesky,

$2500 off is not a bad rebate and when you factor in that you can negotiate a sales price slightly under invoice(then you take off the rebate) your gonna end up with an amazing deal.

If I was to guess at when the best deals will be available I would assume next summer(a few months before the '06's come out(the '06 will be an all new design)) they will be slashing prices to unload the remaining '05's. Until then I suspect the rebates will vary to some degree up and down.

Personally I dont think the rebates will drop less than $2500 so if you can wait I would think the incentives will only get better.

Realize there will always be people who get a better deal than you. If they have the van you want and need the vehicle go for it.....Its still a bargain!!!

Craig
    '04 Sedona EX
    I meant: should we gamble that the November rebates will be better?
      And you're right craig, it will be a great deal no matter what.
    If you can wait I would think the rebate MIGHT be a little better. With the Stock Market doing what its doing, Gas prices through the roof and the Sedona not getting the best MPG I think November might be a little better.

Craig
    I think it depends on how many 2004 Sedonas are left on dealer lots and whether dealers are having trouble selling them with a $2500 rebate. We are in a similar situation now with the Chevy Malibu Maxx. Sept rebates were $4500 and the Oct rebates are 'only' $3500. I am kicking myself for missing the best rebates, but I did not think they would get worse. I think it depends on that particular model and how well the current rebates are moving vehicles off the lot. Rebates on a couple other GM vehicles we were considering - Buick Rendezvous and Saturn Vue AWD V6 - got better in Oct ($6000 vs. $5000 for Rendezvous, $3750 vs. $3000 for Vue) vs. Sept.

As craigmri said, basically taking $2500 of the invoice price of a 2004 Sedona - you end up with a great deal on a good minivan.
    If you can wait I would think the rebate MIGHT be a little better. With the Stock Market doing what its doing, Gas prices through the roof and the Sedona not getting the best MPG I think November might be a little better.

Craig
    Well, we've decided to jump and buy the '04Sedona this week. My spouse and I are disagreeing on what amount to offer. I think $300 over invoice is a fair amount. Is this reasonable?
    Be aware that even at Invoice price the dealer is still making money on holdback and other factory to dealer incentives.

I totally believe that BEFORE rebate you offer invoice price otherwise walk. You should be able to get your Sedona for $2500 under invoice when you factor in the rebate.

Please let us know how you made out.

Craig
    '04 Sedona EX
    So I should really offer just invoice and see where it gets me? It's a little weird because we are dealing with the service manager who's a friend. He will go tomorrow to the owners meeting and basically say this is a friend and let's give 'em a good deal. He isn't in sales, so he doesn't even really know the invoice price etc. He knows I've done my research and just told me to come up with my price & he will present it tomorrow.
    Blue,

If your not trading in anything you should be able to get it for invoice before the rebate. This will typically require walking away from the showroom a time or two to accomplish but totally reasonable. If this dealer wont accept it try another. Dealing with friends is often not a good idea for you or your friend. Nobody wants to hurt anyones feelings but this is a business transaction(believe me the dealer thinks this way) and this is no time to worry about feelings. The dealer will try to use this friendship to his advantage.

Craig
    '04 Sedona EX
    I just made my deal with the KIA dealer. This is on a Sage/Platinum EX with Leather, ABS, Sunroof, Rear spoiler & Tow package. Edmunds invoice price was $23,283 (MSRP of $25,420). The dealer claims that their actual invoice was $23,988--a difference of $705 from Edmunds. They said that the $705 is the advertising fee from KIA. Does that sound really high?
      In any case, they said they will meet my price!! Off that price comes the $2,500 October rebate and get this, another $1,000 competitive rebate that they got word on this morning from KIA!! So $23,483 minus $3,500 equals $19,983. I am so excited!! We've been driving a 1986 Dodge Caravan which doesn't even have any headrests or rear shoulder straps!
      (For anyone looking to buy right now, they said the $1,000 incentive is good through Nov. 1st. It's weird because it was on the dealer website but not on the KIA website at all, and it's still not there. Is it some sort of secret incentive? Maybe it's my area only? I'm glad I asked about it!)
      We pick it up Saturday. Thank you everyone!
    Blue,

Congrats on your Sedona deal!! You have the EXACT same Sedona we have down to the colors and options. You also paid $50 less than we did :-) Great job!!

Be certain to post saturday the second you get home!

Craig
    '04 Sedona EX
    Thanks Craig! The original sales guy that showed us the van, gave us bad info, and never followed up just called me. He's throwing in a year's worth of oil changes so that we're not unhappy. If it makes you feel any better, our sales tax is 6% which is $1,400 on this vehicle.

So what do you think about that $700 advertising fee? Do you think that's a real figure? Hard to believe KIA would charge $700 extra per vehicle to the dealer. The sales guy was still talking about how I got the car for $500 under dealer cost....
    The Advertising fee sounds like BS to me. As far as getting the Van for $500 below dealer cost, I think they are trying to make you feel like you robbed them but believe me they made money. Probably not alot but they didnt lose anything you can be assured.

Cant wait to read your first post after you pick it up saturday.

Craig
    '04 Sedona EX
    Congrats on what sounds like an excellent deal.

I hope you enjoy your Sedona as much as we have enjoyed ours.

We are looking at the Chevy Malibu Maxx and the advertising fees on the legit-looking printouts the salesperson gave us show about $400 in fees. $700 sounds like much more than normal, but I do think it is fairly common for the dealers to pay the manufacturer a few hundred bucks per vehicle for this sort of thing.
  • navyairnavyair Member Posts: 202
    http://www.edmunds.com/news/column/lowdownlowpayments/59651/artic- le.html

Looks like you got a good deal.

RE the $700 advertising fee If it was on the Kia invoice, it was probably the dealer's share of national advertising charge. If it was added onto the invoice, it is probably a "suggested" fee meaning he is recouping profit on fees he paid to advertise, and it was negotiable. (Whether he WILL negotiate is another matter).