Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• alenabubsalenabubs Member Posts: 27
    Good points. I did already post my sisters zip (New Jersey) to expand my radius. Glad I did because my cheapest quote thus far has come from that area! I agree that helps.

One thing I noticed. I test-drove at two different dealerships. The first time I drove, the car felt unresponsive; more specifically, the wheel had a lot of play and the acceleration/stopping was very sluggish. However, the second time I drove it, at another dealership, the responsiveness was excellent. Why would that be? I'm planning one more test drive to be sure -- if I don't drive the demo, what should I drive?

Also, just realized the car doesn't come with anti-theft system -- being from NY that's a necessity! I'm sure you looked into it as well being as your're MA -- did you have that as dealer installed?

Thanks again!
  • ajnjajnj Member Posts: 12
    Did u consider 2003 MOV leftovers too?
    We bought our 2003 MPV ES last week in NJ for 23500 out the door (including tax and everything). It has power slding door, 6-cd changer, 4 seasons package options.

There are not much diff between 2003 and 2004, except for exterior style and rear disc brakes.

Some dealers still have it and are giving nice deals on them
    Thanks for posting.

We did consider 2003, but I had read that the 2004 had a more powerful engine, and I thought some 2003 owners were having problems with their transmissions, unless I'm mistaken. But that is a good price. Can I ask where in Jersey you got yours? Right now my best price is coming from Ramsey. Wonder if it's the same dealership...
    We bought it from Open Road Mazda in Edison.
    The Engine power is same. The transmission problem on 2003 was a software problem and fix was released in Feb-2004. So if u buy 2003, ask your dealr whether the transmission is flashed with new software or not.

FYI, the another dealer, Crystal Mazda in NJ was ready to go 3500 under the invoice price for 2004 ES. It would have cost us 26200 out the door with exact same features as 2003 ES.
    That's interesting, thanks for the info. I do know when we checked 2003 models around here, they were pretty loaded with options we weren't interested in and did not want to pay off. But I'll see what my husband thinks. Thanks again!

Curious: Did you get an alarm system put in?
    We don't have the security system in ours.
    So I just looked through my file folder and discovered a price quote from your Edison dealer! In the email, I was offered a new 2003 LX (white, beige interior), with rear air, in dash 6-cd, power doors, rear plate, roof rack, and GFX package (have to look that up). Total: $22,800 including tax,tags doc.

Just emailed him to see if he has something with a moonroof.

How was your experience with the dealership? Did you do online pricing first? Thanks!!!
    Our exeperience at the dealership was good.
    The rebate we got were 2500 Mazda, 1000 Dealer incentive and 500 for financing.

I took the kbb pricing report and checked out all the rebates at edmunds etc. That was our starting point and called the dealers in the area for the pricing quote.Then a little bit of bargaining based on the quote we had for 2004 ES.

At the end of the day, we paid 4500 below the invoice price of the van. (23500 including tax title).
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    The 2003 has no much difference than the 04 model except the rear brake on '03 is drum and '04 is disc. Engine is same. Both '03 and '04 MAY have the tranny hardshift. Since Mazda already had a fix on it, you don't have to worry about it. You may be lucky buying the one doesn't have the hardshift. Dealer has anti-theft system like the LoJack but using Global Positioning System to locate your lost car. A cheap car alarm system can entitle you discount on insurance. I don't think MPV is a car theft's favorite. If I am the car theft I'd rather steal Sienna, ODY and 1st year Quest, those with higher price. In the big cities, older Corolla, Camry, Accord are the most popular stolen cars for spare-parts.
    Thanks guys for your input! It has really made me start reconsidering the 2003. Heck, with the price difference, I could go for the ES model. One question. We really wanted a moonroof (which I know will affect our bargaining position) but can that be dealer installed or are we stuck with what's on the lot? Also, I had taken two test drives -- one in which the steering was not very responsive and the acceleration/breaking was sluggish, another with excellent steering and quick acceleration/breaking. Have either of you experienced that? Finally, I'm in the northeast and wanted on your take on the traction control option. Thanks again!
    I had the '03 MPV LX for 6 months, found the car handling is very good. It drive like a car instead of a truck. Good acceleration, good brake, cripsy handling. My LX didn't come with traction control but not a problem on snow in past 6 months. If you're worry about ice/snow you can have a set of good snow tires instead of traction control. I LOVE THIS CAR. As I said b4, test drive the one you're gonna buy.

Just tell the sales guy there'll be a deal (you pretty much locked-in a car at a dealer as results from email quotes) if the test drive is good. He would be happy to do the jump start and get more gas for the car even the car is out of gas and battery has no juice.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If the handling feels off during your test drive, check the tire pressure. Often the dealers forget to adjust it during prep (usually it's way high so the tires won't flatspot during shipping).

Steve, Host
    I complained to service that my MPV has much wind noise in highway speed. The serviceman said it may be the tire pressure causing the noise. Found pressure too high and the noise calmed down after pressure was adjusted.

* alenabubs *
    I suggest you bring along the email of the 2nd lowest offer as a backup plan. In case something happened at the dealer of lowest quote (like they just sold the car you want before close last nite, now they have other MPV but different price), you can demand them either to meet the quote or they'll lose the business because you're gonna go to the 2nd lowest dealer immediately. You are there for a deal, not just looking. Without the email, you simply lose the bargain power 'cause they won't believe you. Holding a low financing % approval is another bargain chip.
    Thanks for the info on test drives. And bigdadi, I didn't have a chance to read your email before we stopped into the dealer Saturday, but here's what happened...

We decided to visit the dealer who had quoted us the lowest price for a 2004 LX in NJ. So I called and said we wanted to come in to talk. I wanted to make sure I had a final out-the-door price before I proceeded and wasn't interested in rushing.

Anyway, I happened to check the dealer's site Friday night and discovered a very nice 2003 ES for $21,000. I printed it out, along with the dealer's intenet price for the 2004 LX and took it with me Saturday. When I arrived at the dealership, I met my Intenet salesperson and asked about the 2003 car. Of course, they had sold the car several days earlier (which prompted me to ask, what was it still doing online?) but they had another 2003 ES for us to test drive, then passed us off to his "partner" another salesman.

The 2003 ES was similiar to the one online. I liked it until we sat down and he quoted us a price of $24,000!

It was then I took out my nice little printouts of my 2004 internet price quote and the 2003 car "coupon" and was like, I'm not paying more than $21,000 for a 2003 model.

He quickly dropped the car's price to $21,000 -- if we brought the car that night.

At that point, I wasn't ready to commit -- I needed to think about it and my five-year-old was getting cranky and hungry and suddenly the saleman started throwing a bunch of different numbers at me. We also had a trade-in that we wanted to bring in on our next visit. I also wanted a moonroof, which he quickly added he would throw in -- if I brought that night. That made my husband and I pause, but I know it was going to be at least another hour or so of haggling once I got the bill.

So I told him we'll talk tomorrow (Monday). My thinking is if he can fax me a invoice/worksheet and the numbers stay where we discussed, I'll fedex a check overnight to hold it. Sound reasonable?
    I saw some Mazda dealers have ad. car on newspaper here in Boston area all with small prints that all special price are subject to SAME DAY transaction. That means you are required 'same day' to pay for the car either by car financing through Mazda dealer there, it'll be approved real quick, or you have a check/credit card to pay for it. Bring along the trade-in's title, a couple checks with you. Make sure you have the ballpark figure of your trade.

They wont fax you anything because they are afraid you holding their quote and go to pressure another Mazda dealer. How long will they hold the car for you, 24 hrs? They may find an idiot to buy that $21,000 (your quote) car in $24,000 in the next hour or so.
  • wsibi04wsibi04 Member Posts: 17
    We just got a 04 LX with LX Plus, 4 Seasons, DVD, Power Sliding Doors and Traction Control for $22,700 after taxes, lic and fees. There was a sale at our local dealer this weekend so we stopped by to take a test drive and see what they had in stock. Three hours later, we signed the deal! Could have probably gotten a better deal if we "worked it" a little more but we felt this was a pretty fair, low hassle deal. Thanks to all for sharing their MPV buying experiences here!
    Yeah I saw some ads around here too, for a 2004 LX. This was a internet price quote I received, with no stipulation on timeframe (same with the Internet coupon I found on the dealer's site).

Yeah, it's quite possible they'll sell the car. But we left at 6 pm Saturday -- closing time -- and they're closed on Sunday, so we'll see what transpires today. If it's sold, I'll visit another dealer near me that has nine 2003 models on the lot. Wish me luck.
    Well, the sales guy called me about 15 minutes after they opened to thank me for coming in and asking if I had made a decision. I asked him to check about the moonroof and if they can install it, let's make a deal. So looks like he really wants to make the sale. I'll let you all know how it works out. Thanks for all the advice!!
  • scott31scott31 Member Posts: 292
    No, no, no. Never let anyone take a blow torch to your new car. After market moonroofs are always a source of trouble

Don't do it! Only accept a factory moonroof.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    Someone is living in the dark ages with the moonroof comment.

I've had an aftermarket sunroof on my 94 Accord and 96 Expolorer. both of these units had more features then the factory and were cheaper by a couple of hundred. Drove the Accord for 63k plus miles and the Explorer for over 7 years and 145k miles. Neither one leaked or had any other issues.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    The so called factory moonroof is installed the same way its done aftermarket....they don't have a special moonroof body mold. they build the car, ship it to the processing center who proceeds to climb on the roof with a saw and cuts the hole...

As long as the aftermarket roof is installed by a quality company and a quality moonroof brand like ASC or webesto the consumer has no fear. Both are OEM suppliers.
    Thank you both for the info on moonroofs -- didn't even think about factory vs. dealer installation.

The salesman called me back and told me the company is called "Auto Sunshades" I can't seem to find them online. Have either of you heard of this company?
    There is a difference of dealer install aftermarket moonroof including in the price. I bet they'll give the job to the cheapest one they can find in the market.
    Yeah, he might give the moonroof job to the cheapest guy, but since it's supposed to be covered by the warranty, then I would think it would be to their advantage to use a quality service and installation. Still, I'll try to make sure the product is either ASC or Webesto.

Of course, the salesguy faxed over his numbers tonight and they were different than what we discussed Saturday (way over!) Said that he would need manager's approval for our Saturday figure (although Saturday the price seemed a done deal). So I told him, get your manager because I'm not paying the price you faxed.

The fun continues...
    auto sunshades may be a local company who does the install work, probably not the brand of the sunroof...also you should get a separate warranty from the sunroof company..they usually leave it in the glovebox, but make sure you get it.
    If the dealer arranges for the sunroof to be installed, I'd look to the dealer for warranty coverage. It's more likely that the dealer will be around in three years than an aftermarket shop.

Otherwise, why bother with getting dealer installed accessories?

Steve, Host
    Like you, I have a concern for the installers ability to cover any warranty work down the road....but the warranty paperwork I was referring to was from the moonroof manufacturer itself. Companies like ASC(american sunroof corp) and webasto are internation companies that arent going anywhere...sorta like Mazda warranties the car, not the dealer...samething applies to the aftermarket moonroof company.
    Ok, but shouldn't a consumer look to the dealer for warranty work first? If my sunroof leaks, I want to drive to the Mazda shop and get it fixed, not send a letter to the sunroof manufacturer.

Steve, Host
    Well, looks like it's all a moot point. Last night, the Jersey salesman faxed me what I thought were final numbers, but instead gave a total of $27,000 (Rounding up here) and not including the sunroof -- not what we discussed on Saturday. So I asked him what happened to the $22,000 (again rounding up) we discussed Saturday and he said he needed manager's approval. So I told him to go get it, because I wasn't paying $27,000. He sends another fax today with the same numbers (!) But adds on some rebates "if I qualify" which I don't because I'm not a college grad ($500), haven't purchased from the dealer ($1500) or from Mazda ($1000) before. And he knew this!!

In the meanwhile, my husband called another local dealer this morning that has nine 2003 ES models. There's one with the moonroof already installed that we were quoted a price of $23,000. It's loaded with other options (like four seasons package) we really don't need. But the price will still be lower (and considering the options, a better buy) than the current price being quoted by the Jersey dealer. I explained this to the Jersey dealer, and he said, "well if you're getting that kind of deal, you might as well go for it." Guess he thought I was bluffing. I was like, okay, if you change your mind, let me know. Of course, he said if it doesn't work out to call him, but at this point I'm fed up with them and their games. Guess I should have struck while the iron was hot -- if they had really intended to sell the car for $22,000, of which I'm not sure now.
    I don't disagree...my point was to make sure the consumer gets everything they should get. The roof mfg warranty being one of them. Of course, the selling dealership should make things easier....but if it leaks 4 years down the road and the consumer no longer is in the area of the selling dealer, they still have a warranty to fall back on.
    I didn't add that since the dealer arranged for the sunroof installation at the time of purchase, it was covered under the 3 yr/36k mile warranty.
    Thanks Rich; apologies for beating a dead horse here, but if you got a moonroof through a dealer, wouldn't it be covered at any Mazda dealer during the Mazda warranty period? I guess that's why you said 4 years?

Alenabubs, don't you hate games like that? Sounds like the salesperson just tried to take you out of the market for a few days and wear you down. Good for you for walking!

Steve, Host
    Thanks Steve, I'm pretty disappointed at the moment but calling around for a few more prices just in case dealer #2 falls through. One thing's for sure, I'll be ready to buy the next time I walk into a dealership and get offered a similar price. Do you think dealer #1 will call back, or they tend to just move on?
    In my experience (albeit limited - one new car a decade), the pros will call back.

Steve, Host
    For me, I don't bother to talk any longer or look at another one. Hit it right there if the quote is right. Your original plan was a 2004 model quotes. Narrow choice in Left-over 2003 models. 2003 looks cheaper than 2004 now but Depreciation also has to be considered (when you want to sell the car in later year(s)) for in one year gap.

For example : You can save $2,000 if you buy '03 model instead of '04, what happen in 2008 when you sell the '03, your selling price'll be $2,000 cheaper than '04
    True, but we're paying cash and don't plan to sell short-term. As an example, we're trading in (or giving away) our old car, which is a 1987 T-Bird. We hold on to our cars for a long time, so the savings will pay off for us, if the price is right.
    Just wanted to first thank everyone for the great advice and for sharing their experiences. We purchased our 2003 ES MPV yesterday in Milford, CT. Great salesman and dealership!! For a total out-the-door price of $24,814 our silver 2003 ES is equipped with:

Moonroof
    Roof rack
    4-season package
    6-disk CD Changer
    Power sliding doors
    Rear step plate
    Cargo Net
    Wheel Locks

We also got $200 for our 1987, 130,000 mile Thunderbird (I couldn't get any local wholesalers or dealers to even think of purchasing it).

The salesman was a pro from start to finish. Contacted him Tuesday, had a quote Tuesday night, then he lowered it by $500 on Thursday once I had my other quotes. My other two quotes (from Bklyn and Jersey) couldn't match the Connecticut price.

Anyway, thanks again. We love our new MPV and our neighbors have been checking it out too!
    Congrats, alenabubs.

Enjoy your new MPV.
  • bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    Did anyone see the "innovative" flip rear seat that the Mercury Monterey is now advertising?
    "...it's great for tailgate parties.."

Gee, the one in my 3 year old MPV is about to wear out...
    :))
    They have to push something to get people to buy this van and the Wind...I mean Freestar. The third row seat is the only part of it that has any type of innovation.
  • vronnevronne Member Posts: 5
    Saw a price for a NEW 2004 MPV LX for $16,999 on the newspaper. Is this a good price?
    It's a good price if no small prints.
  • kinkokinko Member Posts: 48
    deals like that happen all the time in the area like So. Cal. My brother bought a loaded 04 Camry LE for $16k a few months ago. He told me that there is only one being sold for that price. Once he saw the Ad on Friday's paper, he had to spend the Friday night outside of the dealership and try to be the first one of the waiting line. He had to purchase a few accessaries from the dealer, and finance it thru the dealer even though my brother had the money in the bank to pay it off. The dealer told him that they have to make money somehow to cover the loss from the sale price. It actually took my brother a couple of tries to be the first waiting in line at dealer's front door.
  • mikesanmikesan Member Posts: 9
    Just took our Titanium Gray LX 2004 home last night. MSRP was $25,895 and included LX Plus, All Sport, roof rack, and Side air bags and Traction Control. The dealer price was $23,686 which was $300 below invoice. In addition, there was a $3500 rebate. The $500 MAC is gone, but the $2500 rebate has been kicked up an extra grand as of last Saturday. Net price was $20,186. With TTL it was $22,402. Bought from Oak Tree Mazda in San Jose. Also bought a Mazda 6 from them last August. Absolutely no hassle. General Manager said $300 below and I took it. The van was not on the lot but on a sister-dealer's lot. Financed at 4.99%. Terrific dealership to buy from. Selling a 2000 GMC Safari and the driving experience is night and day. Love the MPV. We are planning a trip to Reno or Tahoe next month to break it in.
    The net price you paid was such great deal that you still paid $200 less than using the S-plan. Congradulations.
  • saabermomsaabermom Member Posts: 8
    If the MPV will end its run in MY 2004 (at least in the U.S.), what do you all think that means for resale values and parts/service availability?

We are considering buying an LX with a few options in a month or two, but are concerned about whether we wouldn't be better off buying a base Odyssey for about $3000 more.

If we keep the Mazda for a long time might it be hard to get serviced? If we want out in a few years will it be impossible to sell?

The $3500 rebate Mazda is offering does make it attractive, but the '04 Odyssey is also selling cheaper since they have a new and improved version coming in the fall. (My sister just picked up and EX-L for $26K.)

Any thoughts?
    All I know is what I read over in Mazda MX-Flexa / Mazda4. I guess it could become an orphan in the same sense that a '98 Odyssey is, and that may affect resale, but I doubt that you'll have any problems getting it serviced.

Used car resales are in the tank. Ok, maybe not used Odysseys, but even those are starting to feel pressure from the new '05 Odyssey.

Steve, Host
    my thoughts:
    a base mpv lx costs $18K, which is about $4k less than the odyssey lx that has no CD player and remote keyless entry. But it cost a few hundreds to get the privacy glass on the mpv.
    As long as Mazda is still doing business in US, they have to service the mpv even though they might not selling it.
    There's no law that says Mazda has to service a discontinued model (I've looked for links before, and I'd love to see otherwise). Be stupid not to, but manufacturers drop support for discontinued products all the time. Some say support for existing products is non-existent :-)

Steve, Host
This discussion has been closed.