Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    According to Edmunds, the rebate on the 2005 MPV is $2,250, go thru Mazda financing is another $1,000. And cash to dealer(which you should be able to get)for marketing support bull is $750. So, you're looking at 4 grand right there. Figure on paying about $1,000 over invoice for the Ody EX-L(popular)depending on market. Probably get the MPV at invoice or $500 under depending on your negotiating skills. I think the rebate on the MPV will go higher. Was $3,500 this time last year. A lot of MPV's on lots...should be able to get for $5,000 less than Ody.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    In the northeast region the 2005 has $3000 customer cash and $1000 MAC cash for financing with mazda......These incentives make the MPV a super value that is hard to beat.
  • charlotte7charlotte7 Member Posts: 144
    Yes and my local dealer is advertising $6000 off MSRP in our paper. I think I may end up buying an MPV later this year if I don't like the DGC SWB van better.
  • osufans2osufans2 Member Posts: 14
    Any success in negotiating for the dealer holdback of 2%? I am looking at the MPV-ES with invoice of ~ $27,500. With the $3000 customer cash and the $1000 financing, it brings it down to $23,500. With the 2% hold back on base MSRP, that's another $560 left on the table.
  • kgm2004kgm2004 Member Posts: 1
    Please help. The dealer I went to offered me a 2005 MPV LX, silver color, with 1300 miles (demo) for 17000 +tax+tag+title+doc fee. MSRP sticker says 23540, Tag+title+doc fee seems to be approx 500. Is this a good deal ???? :confuse:
    Tag and title should be no more than...what? $50? So, $450 in doc fees is about $350 to much. See if he'll lower the tag,title and doc fee at least $300-$350. There are a lot of MPV's on dealers lot...so you are in the drivers seat on this one. See what rebates and incentives are in your area..subtract from invoice...around $22,000 for the base LX. So, if rebate is $3,000...brings dealer price down to $19,000. Meaning he is taking off 2k for a van with 1300 miles. Sounds like a fair price...may be able to go lower. Good luck.

After looking at my post I remember several people saying $5,000 off MPV being fairly common. So, for a demo try to get the doc fee lower and see if you can get the van for $16,000.Start to walk out...see what the salemen do. You can always go back.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • jc9799jc9799 Member Posts: 70
    Not a bad price. We got our's a month ago, $6000 off MSRP. Sticker was $24,095 (LX with rear AC). I've seen ads since then for even more off sticker. Usually, one of those "1at this price" things. (Usually on a loaded ES stickering at around $33,000 or so. :P )

Anyway, it sounds like a pretty good deal, but perhaps you could do better. ;) Good luck!
    you can always try to haggle anything....but if things get ugly don't be surprised.
    "but if things get ugly don't be surprised"

That's an interesting response after reading your bio indicating you are a dealership manager. Perhaps you should define ugly? What sort of "ugly" tactics do you teach/allow your salespeople to use on a customer? If the customer does not initiate any ugliness...how could things "get ugly". I would take my business elsewhere if a sales associate or manager started getting "ugly" with me.
    What sort of "ugly" tactics do you teach/allow your salespeople to use on a customer?

Drop the attitude. I didnt read anywhere in my post that I teach my salespeople ugly tactics. I jsut made a statement based on what I read on edmunds.

If you go thru edmunds posts you will see all kinds of issues related to holdback. The one theme that seems to ring true is how the entire attitude of the sale changes when a customer gets into a holdback issue. Maybe you should ask the people who are posting on here about their bad holdback experiences.
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    Regarding S-Plan: is there a 'fee' for using S-Plan? I've seen some people reporting they were charged an 'assessment' fee or other charge (typically $199 or so) that seems to be region specific.

-Brian
    Apologies...it appears I misinterrpreted the intent of your post.It seemed you were speaking from your own personnal experience as manager. You didn't indicate you speaking of anything otherwise.

Yes, I agree...to go after everything AND holdback could possible lead to things getting ugly. From what I have read on Edmunds... the "ugliness" from trying to get holdback has come from the salepeople/managers. It's up to the salespeople and managers to maintain a professional and curtious demeanor...even if they are getting their tailfeathers ruffled by someone going after holdback. Again...if things start to get "ugly", I would take my business elsewhere.
    In many regions Mazda charges it's dealers an AD fee...(regional assessment). This fee ranges from $150-450 depending on the region. The S-plan price is printed on the dealer invoice and it includes the ad fee. If your using the S-plan pricing on the internet it will not include the ad fee.
    It is a legit charge.....There are a few regions that don't participate. Usually regions that don't have enough dealers to make a marketing group. Like Vermont.

jipster...I agree there is no reason to get all worked up over holdback. From my standpoint I don't care what the customer offers. I'm still going to work the deal and if we can't agree on a price so be it.... I don't like dealers who whine about no profit, or lowball offers etc,.....it's better than no offer at all and if the salesperson is worth more than two cents they will overcome the issue and make the sale.....We have all had freeloaders and chiselers, the ones that IsellH really doesn't like,....but we deal with it and move on. All my salespeople know that if things get unreasonable or rude that I will throw the bum out...so things usually don't escalate to an ugly out of control problem.
    Absolutely. The customer has every right to try to get his best deal(holdback) just as much as the salesperson has every right to get his best deal(MSRP). If the salepeople become unpleasant...walk. If the customer becomes unpleasant..."throw the bum out". ;)

Though from what I understand, and have read from many posters, it is unclear whether "holdback" is truely obtainable or not. As it is money that has already been paid out by the dealer. I suppose one may try :confuse:
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    let's stick specifically to Mazda MPV pricing. We've got a Dealer Holdback questions discussion if you want to move that conversation over there.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

"....move that conversation over there"

Well, I don't have anything more to add. But, I was hoping our host would allow more flexability in postings here on the Mazda MPV boards. We have gone months without any posts in this discussion....as well as many others. Many members are not available for Tuesday Mazda Mania night(myself included). And moving a established discussion over to another board just aint the jipsters style. But, you did let it go 2 or 3 posts over where you could have cut it off. So, cheers to our Roaming Host. ;)
    so we don't stray from kirstie's request....I have sold MPV's into holdback but it's the exception not the rule. MPV sales have been slow, so short deals can be had but we still have to generate enough revenue to make the sale worthwhile...
  • jaserbjaserb Member Posts: 820
    Do you generally do "1 at this price" ad cars? Are those generally loss leaders, or is there manufacturer support, or what? The reason I ask is we bought our '04 MPV (sunlight silver, with LX+ and 4 seasons pkgs) almost exactly 1 year ago off an ad from our local dealer. They had 3 identically equipped vans available at that price, 1 silver and 2 titanium. I still can't figure how they made any money on our deal, since the price we paid was way under invoice, even after rebates. I mean, like, $1600 below invoice. We paid $17615, after a $3500 rebate plus the $500 college grad. The sticker was $25,6XX.

So does this happen often, or is it a once in a blue moon thing? Not that I'm complaining, but I when have people ask me if they can get a similar deal it would be nice to know.

-Jason
    I'd be interested in knowing that, too, since I suspect my local dealer that advertises the $17K MPVs may be doing something like that.

Also, Audia8q, do you think the incentives for selling MPVs will increase as the year comes to a close? I realize that Mazda isn't making MPVs next year, and that the farther along in the year the smaller the selection will be, but I was just wondering what you thought. MPVs don't seem to be selling very well in my area at all, and I was thinking about buying in October/November or even December.
  • mocha46mocha46 Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I'm from San Diego

I bought an MPV LX+, whitewater pearl, side air, power door for $20.6K

This was S-Plan price - $4000 rebate.

(Tricked that S-Plan price is the employee sale price - they had an Ad like that)

Is this a good deal? I feel like I'm tricked :mad: since they kept insisting S-Plan IS THE EMPLOYEE SALE price)
    jaserb....some ads are at a loss to generate traffic. This weekend I have an MPV going into the paper that is into holdback. Several things are in play. one - I have a sales objective that is close enough to push some units to make sure I hit the bogey. Since MPV's are slow anyway I would just assume get them off the floor plan. Additionally with the mark up and the rebates I can show a huge discount that will attract the buyers. Sometimes its not the car but the deal. As you know there are additional profit centers to enhance the loser deal. (trade in, financing, etc)...so what is a loss upfront can often be turning into a profit once the entire deal is done. This doesnt happen often but a few times a year the stars line up the right way and the consumer can really benefit.

charlotte...the MPV will be with us for 2006 in its current form. I don't know if the incentives will get any better....Because of the Mazda5, it might be hard for them to enhance the already attractive incentives.
    The S-plan is the employee deal for dealership employees and yes its a good deal. simple, easy and a good price....also remember that Mazda isnt participating in the Employee pricing like Ford and GM, its something your local dealer is doing.
  • jaserbjaserb Member Posts: 820
    I guess we really lucked out. We had been thinking of getting a van for a while, so when the dealer put an ad out for an MPV speced out just the way I wanted we decided we'd call their bluff. I'm glad we did - I think a lot of people overlook the PeeVee due to its smaller size, but it's just right for us. I look at all the people buying piece of junk Ford and GM vans for ~$21k or so with the employee pricing and I have to just shake my head.

-Jason
  • vrmvrm Member Posts: 310
    Anybody buy the MPV recently in No. Virginia / Maryland area?
    I am looking for a dealer who can give me a good deal without a lot of hassle.

Thanks!
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    ... we paid cash for the car at IRA....

I think by law car dealer needs to report to IRS for any buyer pays cash 10,000 or more. Think commercial buy is OK though.
  • capellacapella Member Posts: 20
    Bought our 1st new car ever, a 2005 MPV LX, from a local dealer, and it was a pleasant experience. List was around $26,500 -- it had the towing package, the 4 seasons package, side air bags, traction control, rear air, privacy glass, and a couple of goofball things like spoiler and mirror with compass. We paid $20,450 after the $3K cash and $1K for financing through Mazda, and then an additional discount off list of about $2K. The salesperson said that this was $200 over invoice, who knows. But at the price it is certainly more van for the money than most competitors and we hope it works well over the years.

We like the van, and best of all, it's the 1st vehicle in well over 20 years that doesn't give my wife a backache.
  • johnsonxjohnsonx Member Posts: 7
    Bought an '05 MPV LX w/LX Plus, Power Doors, Traction Control/Side Airbags, and Roof Rack for $20,455 after $2000 mazda cash and $4000 discount off MSRP (which was $26,455). Can't do much better than that I think.
    Congrats on your purchases capella and johnsonwax! I paid around $20,500 for my MPV LX last year that listed at $26,000.

Hope you guys can hang around the Mazda MPV boards for awhile, and let us know how your new vehicles are doing.
  • doctord13doctord13 Member Posts: 22
    Dissapointing how few posts there are on this board....we just went back for our second ES - figureed with the deals out there and our 2002 going out of warranty (no problems!), we'd go back for another - ES with towing/4seasons/moonroof/roofrack out the door for 25850 with TTL. Had a hard time wanting to haggle as they offered us 6K off walking in the door.
    Great van - the right size and great value.
  • undecisiveundecisive Member Posts: 4
    The deal was made at 23,023 including the 4 seasons/towing option ($425 msrp). Is this a good deal? I think so, but there was another dealer who kept calling me while I was in the process of doing paper work at the dealer shop and offered another $500 off the deal being made. Didn't bother to walk out as I thought the deal was already acceptable. Doc & Title fees was another $300-.
  • monica22monica22 Member Posts: 5
    I got 2 quotes from different Mazda dealer in San Diego, CA
    Please let me know if there are fair prices or I should ask them more.

Dealer #1 Silver LX (Fully loaded) $22,800 (Tax included)

Dealer #2 LXs (Fullyloaded) Blue, black or silver.
    Invoice price and 3000 Rebate and 1000 manager special discount.

If I use Mazda finace, Both of them will give 1000 finace rebate.

We have been to Toyot dealer to check SIenna and Highlander, but they don't give us any discount. All they can give us is Toyota factory rebate.
    I like Toyota car better but I guess I should buy Mazda due to our tight budget.

Please give me any advise about the Mazda MPV.
    Thank you.
    Hello. Thank you for your adivise.
    Can I ask which dealer did you go and buy a car?
    Because I think you had a better deal than I was offered....
    I have another question.
    All Mazda dealer told me if I finance through Mazda, they give us $1,000 extra rebate.

I want to pay by cash so I told them I don't need it.
    Then, the salesperson told me if I just finance for 3 months and then I re-finance so I may lose only $ 60 but I still get $1,000 extra rebate.
    Have any body ever tried this re-finance?
    Did you pay everything after 3 months?
    I don't want to end up paying so much interest.
    I prefer paying by Cash but if I will be able to re-finance in 3 months, I think I should try...????

Also, Mocha 46, I'd like to know your dealer in San Diego.
    Can you give us any information about your dealer, please.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Your salesperson was correct..

Many people that would otherwise pay cash, have financed with Mazda Credit to get the rebate, then paid off the loan after 90 days..

Of course, they are hoping you don't pay it off...

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Dealer #2 sounds the best if the $1000 manager discount is off of invoice. Finance thru Mazda and thats $5,000 below invoice. Can't beat that with a stick.

The Mazda MPV is just as good a minivan as the Sienna (for my needs)...plus you'll be saving around $7,000 by buying the Mazda MPV. The Highlander is overrated and overpriced in my opinion.
    Thank you for your advice everyone!
    I will go to Mazda and try to get the best deal!
  • covertcovert Member Posts: 1
    Just bought the high end model, Loaded. Leather, DVD, Moon Roff, power sliding doors, rear a/c and heat, 4 seasons etc. Sticker MSRP was 32K, paid 25K something. A few hundred bucks under invoce, plus 4 cash back. I figure we will have this van for a while so why not load up. I was temped to get the low end model, since they are selling for about 17K, but for once in my life I got what I really wanted. The price was not to bad. Plus it is nice.

The only I dont like is the front flip up table. I hate that. Why not put a console in there? I may try and take it out so I can buy an after market one. I like to keep snacks for the kids so I need the space. :)
    Congrats on your new MPV covert. I believe Mazda put the "front flip up table" where it is so the driver or passenger could have access to the middle and back rows quickly if the young ones started acting up, or for whatever other reason. Though it is a bit to narrow to comfortably get through. I would much rather of had a console as well. I can always lasso the youngens from the front seat if they start getting to rowdy. The console could hold the snacks and a container of moist towelettes for the messes from the snacks. :)
  • leffleff Member Posts: 6
    2005 MPV LX with
    - LX Plus package
    - Four seasons and towing package
    - Side air bags and traction control
    - Roof rack

Total $23775 before rebates - $4000 rebates and $500 Zoom Zoom certificate = $19275. Plus tax, etc.

From Sentry West Mazda in Shrewsbury MA. Good guys to deal with. Real professional.

Van looks nicer than I orginally thought it was now that I own it!
  • aj4aj4 Member Posts: 14
    Got my mpv LX-SV with roof rack for 17.2 K after 4k rebates. Dealer also gave good price for my trade in to lower the overall tax. I think it is a good deal. Any opinions??
    LX-SV....is that a Canadian model? What options?
    17.2k doesn't sound to shabby, even for a stripper(which are usually very well loaded). Congrats.
  • asafonovasafonov Member Posts: 401
    Jipster,

LX-SV is the base model new for 2005. According to Edmunds, the only difference is that it has 15" steel wheels with hubcaps instead of alloys. It is also possible that some options available on the LX are not offered for LX-SV, but I am not sure on this.

My search for nice, preferably non-rental, "pre-owned" 04 or 05 MPV continues :)
    asafonov is right. Except for alloy wheels there is no real difference. Another difference is that with LX you can upgrade with different packages - LX plus, 4 seasons etc. (which I didnt want anyway), but LX-SV you cannot upgrade. My MPV has only roof rack as the extra option (although everything I wanted -cc, pw, pl, abs etc. are standard on it anyway).

I was on a tight budget, and had a troublesome trade-in which had about 1.5k due in repairs. It was such a relief to get rid of that trade-in.

I'm hoping to have at least 7-8 years of troublefree ownership with new MPV.
    Was that $17.2 pre-TTL?
    yes it was pre ttl.
    Hmmmmm.

After seeing all these rebates, it seems dealers are still making a good kill on each MPV they sell ($1500 dealer holdback). Combine that with the volume discount and accessories profit, I think each MPV sell is good news for dealer too.

See the article on cnn.
    http://money.cnn.com/2003/11/24/pf/autos/invoice_price/
    There isnt $1500 holdback in anything Mazda sells...A base MPV has holdback in the $300 range.
    Hi audia8q.

I dont really know for sure what is the holdback on MPV. My only source of info was the cnn article (See link in my previous post). Another way I think that you know the holdback should be more than 300$ is that if you configure the same car via carsdirect.com, it shows a price of 17K for base model. Considering there is a profit of 250$ for carsdirect.com in it, the dealer has to have way more than 250$ profit, in order to sell the mpv profitably.

What is your source of information about the 300$ holdback?
  • asafonovasafonov Member Posts: 401
    If I can jump in and answer for audia (who is certainly capable of doing it for himself), $1500 in that CNN article has nothing to do with holdback - it is the manfucaturer to dealer incentive which was in effect in November and has been renewed until the end of December (or is it 01/02/06?). This incentive information is available here on Edmunds. In addition, it mentions a $500 incentive for financing with Mazda credit at, I assume, market rates.

aj4, good luck with your van.
    I do not agree with your comment that $1500 was dealer incentive rather than dealer holdback. If you observe closely, the article is dated Jun 2004 - not november 2005.
This discussion has been closed.