Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• lburgguylburgguy Member Posts: 5
    I did end up getting the vehicle for that price. I was pretty excited that the salesman did not try to add anythign to the price. If anyone is interested it was the Mazda dealership in Salem VA; I'll give you the salesman's name if requested.

PS: This was the first new vehicle I've ever purchased. I still can't believe what a huge difference there can be from one dealership to the next. Must be different managerial styles or something, I don't know for sure but I was treated so well as compared to other places I've been.
  • tom5314tom5314 Member Posts: 20
    Hi everybody. I'm new here and been reading your forums in the past few days...I'm now have 1 question need your help.
    My wife & I interresting the existing 06 MPV ES in showroom that MSRP is $32155 with DVD,leather/snrf, pear paint,ect...The sale manager offer rightawy $25500+TX/lsc,...Is it a good price to buy? or how must more could I offer? that white MPV look really nice to us with 44mil on it.
    Thank in advance.
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    Why you would want to offer more is questionable because this vehicle wholesales for about 19-20k in a year. (possibly less as this is the last year of this model I believe)

I would not want to eat $5500+ 1st year on last years (06) model. I would want 22500-23500 (or better). A local dealer had 10 of the 31000 ES 05 models advertised for 10000 off, so 9000 would not be unreasonable for yours. Last week of the month usually produces best results. Your salesmanager offering almost 7000 off right away is one clue. This model has always been a slow mover.

If you really have that much money to spend check out what 26-27000 buys for an invoice buy of a Honda Oddessy (I don't know but it is the gold standard along with the Previa for minivans... The MPV is not highly regarded although I would like it at the right price)

See my message 12481 in the Honda Accord prices paid discussion for info and resources to learn how to buy a new car.

Happy Hunting
    --jjf

My wife & I interresting the existing 06 MPV ES in showroom that MSRP is $32155 with DVD,leather/snrf, pear paint,ect...The sale manager offer rightawy $25500+TX/lsc,...Is it a good price to buy? or how must more could I offer? that white MPV look really nice to us with 44mil on it.
    Thank in advance
    jfritsch, Thx for your info. Do you mean I should wait a couple more months and take $10K+ off on this MPV as it become a yr old? :)
    We just went to dealer again today and after a while of conversation, the salemgr ended up with $26383 drive away (incl.Tax/L/etc). Tax in TX=8.25 so I guess the van cost around $24K. We did test drive 06 LX Odyssey, I love the smooth ride but the MSRP was $27K & they asked for $25K+Tx/L and that's it. We dont like much the way of their service, since there're only a couple 06 LX left in parking lot and they're really dont want to negociate much on pricing. Sure, we can go to a diff. dealer...
    Back to MPV, my wife she loves a fully loaded MPV rather than a basic LX Odyssey...which, dont even have alloy wheels!?!
    I will spend time and read the 06 EX Odyssey pricing and see if it's better to spend xtra $$$ for it, otherwise $24K+Tx/L seems to be the bottom line for this MPV, at least until now.
    Do read (purchase) the resources mentioned in my message in the accord section. You,(like 98% of the rest of the population) need more insight into purchasing new (and used) vehicles. This info will last you for life. (or until the martians take over and human market behavior is modified )

Since your mpv is a 18-19000 vehicle in a year I would want 9-10k off now. (3-4k depreciation ...350 a month is enough to drive this vehicle 1st year.... this is already last year's vehicle and perhaps the last year for this vehicle to boot) Eating 5-6000 1sr year would be yucky for this or any vehicle.

One of the resources mentioned getting bids from at least 10+ dealers around your area (100 mi +). This is easier now with emailing dealer websites but the fax method to sales mgrs has always worked better for me.

Walking into 1 or 2 random dealership(s) and trying to beat them over the head without competitive bids usually produces limited results. 97% of the buying process is best left to fax (email) and phone with the legwork left to the last 2 dealers standing. (obviously you've test driven one at one point) Saves tons of time, aggravation level reduced by 90%. The last week of the month usually exposes the eager beavers.

In other words, the bottom line isn't what you get from a random dealer you talked to at a disadvantage. The bottom line is the best price for this vehicle comparing 10-20 quotes after putting these guys in a competitive bidding situation for your business. Obviously ditto for the Honda also. Go to fightingchance.com for a start.

Happy Hunting
    --jjf
    Thanks jjf!
    Tom.
  • aknightaknight Member Posts: 4
    I got my MPV LX-SV 3 weeks ago from Menlo Mazda in California, $17K out to door.

Stay away from Menlo Mazda though. The sales damaged the fuel cap while fueling (I guess the sales did it) or it was defective out of the fab. This caused "check engine" light to go on within 24 hours of vehicle delivery. I brought the MPV back to Menlo Mazda to replace the fuel cap. Guess what, a few dents were found on the rear bumper while the vehicle was still in dealership repair shop. Menlo Mazda refused to accept the responsibility.

Mazda US headquarter is no help after I complain to them. You get what you pay for.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    I don't see how they could have damaged the fuel cap, unless they tried to put fuel in the tank with the cap still on. :confuse:

Can't really understand the,"you get what you pay for" comment either. You've had the van for 3 weeks and the only problems are because of human error... according to you.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    I don't think the sales is so dumb to fuel with cap on :-)
    The cap's plastic is too soft. The cap and the tank are not so smoothly fitted. If I screw the cap on by force, I could have damaged the cap myself. There are still a few pieces of plastic shreds left in the entrance of the fuel tank, hopefully from the previous cap.

If I purchase a vehicle, I don't just buy the vehicle alone. I would consider that quality, reliability and service are included in the price. $17K for a minivan is certainly cheap and I was attracted by the low price. But if low quality sales keeps damaging the vehicle, I will shy away in the future.
    I certainly wouldn't blame you for not returning to the Menlo dealership. Since they acknowledged responsiblity for the gas cap I'm wondering why they didn't for the bumper. If it is noticeable damaged I would continue to try to get them to pay for the bumper repair. Did you try talking to the service or general manager? Ask nicely. If they act like they are going to blow you off and you don't want to bring your vehicle back for service, you could tell them you are going to contact the BBB and your local consumer protection agency.

By the way, $17,000 out the door for a Mazda MPV LX-SV is about the best price I've ever seen by about a thousand dollars. Is it a brand new 2006 with only a few miles?
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    Their general manager was the first person that I notified about the dents. After some negotiation, he came up with this proposal: I pay $350 for him to fix the dents. I turned down his proposal. Then I turned to Mazda US headquarter and my own insurance company. Mazda has not responded for almost 3 weeks now. My insurance company's agent complained that Menlo Mazda never returned her call.

It was a brand new 2006 Mazda with 5 miles on the odometer. It was full of bird poo at their new car storage lot though. I quote one of their sales's comment: These cars are filthy! All their 50'ish new vehicles were covered with bird-poo on their storage lot. I am crossing my fingers that bird-poo won't affect my car's paint life.
  • okaasanokaasan Member Posts: 7
    We are interested in a 2006 MPV ES. Unfortunately, we are in Hawaii so we don't have much inventory on all islands - only 3 ES in the whole state.

DEALER 1:
    Yesterday, we went to Dealer 1 who offered $500 over invoice to start with and an additional $2500 in rebates for the following:

2006 ES in Pearl White
    DVD
    Roof rack
    Rear spoiler
    Floor Mats
    Rear Bumper step plate
    Wheel Locks

$27,095 ($500 over invoice minus $2,500 in rebates) without TTL, $29.095 out the door.

When I told the sales manager that I had another quote from a dealer for $26,000, he got really hostile. He told me that there was no way I could have a quote lower than his since "I know what their cost is and there is no way anyone would go lower than us and lose money". I said I had the quote in the car and would show it to him. He again, got defensive and said there was no way I had a lower quote.

He kept telling me what a great offer he made since it was almost $9K below their sales price. Of course, this included the $6K mark-up they tacked onto the $31,000 MSRP. I told him that I wasn't even considering the $6K as a starting point.

He said the usual "What can I do to get you to buy this today?" and I told him there was nothing he could do since I was going to go to other dealers and was waiting on quotes from California. I said if the other dealer on Oahu went lower, I would call him there and if he would beat that price, I would come back. He got really hostile then and said, "Well, I don't appreciate you shopping my price around".

I got P.O.'d at the attitude (I think because I am a woman and was alone, he thought he could bully me) and told him that I didn't want his quote since it was higher than the other dealer and handed him his paper back. He then said, "Oh, you can take that with you because you'll see they won't go lower". Needless to say, I left him with his printout in hand.

Of course, that evening he sent me a nice e-mail thanking me for my time and asking me to contact him if I needed any help.

DEALER 2:
    Dealer on Maui has a 2006 LX in Gray. Options include DVD, power sliding doors, floor mats, spoiler, LX-Plus package. They gave me a quote of $32,000. This is almost $8,000 over MSRP. Plus, another $200 to ship and 2-3 weeks to take delivery.

DEALER 3 and 4:
    Other two dealers on Oahu have only LX in stock, none with power sliding doors or side airbags. After the IIHS results, I'm very hesitant to buy the LX without the side airbags.

DEALER 5:
    We dealt with Dealer 5 over the internet. Salesman said their Costco price was better than the Internet Price. I think the two cars they have in stock are "leftovers" since the batteries in both vehicles did not work (Salesman said that if the car isn't started for a week, they tend to have dead batteries - hmmmmmm).

The price they offered us for a 2006 ES in green:

DVD
    Rear Spoiler
    Rear Bumper Step Pleate

$28,319 invoice plus $875 costco price = $29,194 base
    $4,500 in rebates = $24,694
    Plus doc fee ($185), licensing ($200), DMV proc ($45) and tax ($1225)
    Total out the door = $26350

This is the lowest TOD price we've gotten from anyone on the island by a good $2,000-$3,000.

They have another in silver but it has the roof rack instead of the rear spoiler and cost $60 more.

Any feedback on this deal? It seems a little high compared to the mainland prices which are under invoice. I saw an earlier post mentioning that "500 over invoice" is quite high and we would be paying more than that.

It will probably cost us between $1500-$2000 to ship to Hawaii (not including the airfare to fly up there, complete the transaction and drive the car down to Long Beach for shipping).

Also, I REALLY don't care for the green or silver. We told the salesman that we really would like a blue one and to get a quote from their painting guy to see what it would cost to paint either vehicle.

We thought we would counter with $500 over invoice and 1/2 the cost of painting the vehicle (we don't think we'll get the paint thrown in but it won't hurt to ask).

The only other vehicle that we are considering is the 2006 or 2007 Toyota Highlander since there are lots of those in stock. Unfortunately, there is only one company in Hawaii that sells Toyota so again, you are really at their mercy. They are offering a little under MSRP but still about $1500-$2000 above Edmunds. Plus, we just settled a law suit with the service company for our Lexus (which is owned by the same company in Hawaii that owns Toyota) so we are very concerned over having to deal with their service department again.

We have a small cement carport so any other minivan is out of the question (aside from the GMC based ones which we drove but seem to have terrible ratings and reliability). We can't go any bigger than 73-73 inches in width but need 3 rows of seating (two big kids and 1 still in a car seat).

Thanks again for your advice.
    A $31000 MSRP MPV is a $19000 wholesale auto in a year in the midwest . This may actually be optimistic as this is the last year for the MPV I believe and sources such as KBB.com are sometimes optimistic. Run a wholesale price for your zip code here on edmunds and kbb.com. and see what the deal is for Hawaii. (If its anywhere near $19000 wholesale you are getting screwed bigtime. The wholesale values should reflect the bumpup over msrp in your area if consumer demand can maintain it) Hawaii may be a different animal from the mainland due to your "captive" situation in many instances.

Run some wholesale values for 1yr old cars you are interested in for your zip and a california (or ohio 45205) zip code and see if the higher prices actually hold up in the wholesale mkt.

Fightingchance.com has a good package for buying a new car, especially if you can get 10-20 bids from competing dealers at the end of the month. This may be most possible with gmc or chevy. in your area. From your qualifications on color, etc... the more picky you are on color etc, the more you limit your choices and thus the more you may have to pony up. If I could get a large price concession I would go with the chevy.

Read the posts in this area from the last 6 months (there aren't many) to get further insight.

And yes, from the manner you were approached and the audacity and insolence you displayed by daring to get competitive quotes from other dealers you experienced a hard sell from a salesman dealing with a woman. At least it would be that way here. The hard sell may be more commonplace with all sexes in Hawaii though.

Happy Hunting
    --jjf
  • whysterwhyster Member Posts: 14
    okaasan,

Those prices aren't too great, but I guess that is because they are the only dealer and supply is limited. Here's a tip - the MPV ES at dealer 1 can be had for $23850 through Carsdirect.com. That includes a $3500 rebate and another $1000 for financing through Mazda. Check it out.
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    Thank you to everyone for their advice on the ES. Yes, it is very tough to get a reasonable price here in Hawaii because of the lack of competition. It's even worse if you are buying a Toyota, Lexus, Mercedes, BMW or many other luxury brands as there is only ONE dealer on the island. You have no choice but to fly up to the Mainland and look there. Thank goodness for the internet so we can get quotes without having to fly or call.

Basically, you are starting from MSRP plus another 10-20% markup. The dealers justify this as a "Hawaii premium" and it supposedly covers shipping.

Well, we do pay $7 for a box of cereal on occasion too.

To give you an update on where we are, the incredibly rude dealer (surprise, surprise) sent me a nice e-mail telling me they will not only meet the price of $24K but will give me an additional $2K below that. I am tempted to jump at this but really don't want to buy from the guy. So, I passed the number onto the other dealer and asked if they would meet it or go below that.

I did get an e-mail from a LA dealer for $19K for an LX with sliding doors that we are considering.

I got another e-mail from another LA dealer for $25.5K for an ES which is totally loaded with every option - moonroof, DVD, satellite radio (which is useless in Hawaii), homelink, etc. - you name it, this car has got it. Plus it is dark gray which I like better than the silver, white or green in stock. They said they will not go any lower than that price though.

I have also gotten in touch with Mazda USA and they have a service that will locate the exact vehicle you are looking for and will give you the contact info for the dealer. I'm just hoping they locate it on the West Coast.

Again, much thanks to everyone for their help.
  • haawillhaawill Member Posts: 4
    IN NJ ... MPV LX PLUS with a sticker of 25,600 can be had for $17,500 after rebates ... which it seems were extended into november ...
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    Hi Will... you sure you want horror stories if you are getting ready to buy? Sorry, but you will get none from me. ;) We bought our 2004 MPV LX Sport Pck in July of 2004. Thus far we have been very happy with it. The reliability has been excellet (knock on wood). There has not been any history of electrical problems that I recall reading about on Edmunds or other MPV forums. We still get comments from people about the MPV's sporty good looks and styling. It's a good quality van, and the price you are getting it at is a steal.

Congrats and good luck with your MPV.
  • haawillhaawill Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the reply ... it looks like I could get a LX SV for $16,000 ... current negotiations are at $16,600 ... but I think I might wan the extras that a PLUS brings for the $1200 more ... anyway , what kind of MPG do you get? I've read horror stories of people consistantly geting under 20 MPG ..
    Thanks!
    Well, I don't know where my last posted reply to you question went to...somewhere out in cyber space I suppose.
    But on several of our family vacations to Florida from Louisville, we have gotten close to 24mpg. That is with a van packed to capacity, a/c on the entire time, and averaging between 75-80 mph. I haven't calculated city driving as most of our daily commutes are expressway. But, overall we have been satisfied with our mpg.
  • ban122ban122 Member Posts: 5
    I bought a 2006 Mazda Mpv from a CT dealer for the reduced price stick on the dash board ($20,090) for Invoice price of 25,140 that is MPV LX with options Sun/MOON Roof , Sliding doors , Traction control, side air bags , Rear a/c . Sale price and registration price is $19,995 . Mazda corp site says $3500 Manufacture rebate and $1000 Mazda auto finance rebate . When I asked about them the mgr said they were already discounted in the offer price . Hence I signed the slae agreement which specifes selling price as 19,1995 + 95 title +359 process fee and I was asked to come next day to take the delivery . They did not mention in sale agreement and I didnt sign any rebate document . And to my surprise without asking me Mgr processed Finance thru chase instead of Mazda American Credit (so I lost $1000) . My friend bough Base model Lx -SV for 17,700 with Roof rak and remote Starter out the door and He told me his dealer processed both rebates and he signed those papers
    How do I get the $3500 rebate?
    I called Mazda corp , they asked me to talk to the dealer and said that is given by Manufacturer but delaer has to process that rebate .

My dealer is adamant to do this process, they are saying rebates were discounted in the sale price but were not mentioned in the sale letter and tax not collected.
    Hence I called again the Mazda corporate Office , that Lady checked the rebates they anounced in their web site and called my dealer and told me the same story , then I asked her to get all the copies of sale transaction from the dealer and investigate further .
    Is there any other way to get that $3500 rebate atleast .
    Any advice ? thanks

Hmmm I should have read these forums before I bought this vehicle . I made a mistake .
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Look at your paperwork...the buyers order/purchase agreement...bill of sale and/or finance contract and I suspect you will see a break down of the price disclosing the rebate.
    Rebate is not mentioned in the bill of sale or any paper work that I signed with them . And no tax was collected . sale price $19995 + $95 + $359 - $3000(Trade in allowance ) = $17449.
    Final Amount = $17449 + 1046(6% CT tax )- $500(advance) = $17995.94 is the amount financed thru Chase which denies my right to get $1000 from Mazda American credit .
    When I bought my MPV in 2004 I had to sign a form turning over the rebate to the dealership.

You bought a 25k MSRP MPV LX correct? ...the invoice was probably around 23k and you paid roughly 20k. So, technically with the $3,500 rebate plus $1,000 finance discount the dealer can "claim" it was already taken off. That the dealership lied to you(reguarding the financing) will be difficult to prove.

Trouble is you should have gotten him to take it off invoice instead of taking it off MSRP. When I bought my MPV the salesmanager tried taking the 3k rebate off of MSRP. I told him he needed to be taking it off of invoice if he wanted a deal. Live and learn.

You probably should have been paying no more than 18.5, maybe 19k tops, for that vehicle. I would continue to call Mazda and the dealership. I don't know if dealership claiming "all incentives included in price" is good enough to be legally accepted. In future transactions I'm sure you will verify in writing what the salesperson is promising, instead of taking their word for it.
    MSRP is 27k, invoice is 25k , 4k worth of extras on a base LX Model. A sign stating price slashed to 20.090 was displayed in the Van , and they offered me 19.995 . And i was bargaining and wasted my time on getting best value for my Trade in. If they reduced 3500+1000 = 4500 on invoice price that is 25000-45000= 20,050 , why they didnt show on Bill of sale? and financed me thru Chase instead of Mazda American Credit .
    I am sure that I didnt sign any rebates .
    Yes I follow your suggestion of calling Mazda. Is there any other way of filing thru "small claim courts"
    I heard 30% off of invoice price offered in NJ by Mazda dealers . Thanks for the advice
    O.k... well at least it looks as if you got a pretty good deal on the van, if MSRP is 27k. To me it does look like they took off the rebate, though for the life of me I don't understand why they didn't have you sign a rebate return form. I'm looking at my Mazda Rebate Form at this very second. A large 10x8 inch pink piece of paper, has claim number in upper right hand corner, dealer/buyer/vehicle information, submission of Claim for payment is checked "Payment to Dealer", and is signed by myself and the salesmanager.

Are you paying the same interest rate through Chase as you would Mazda American Credit? If not I would be more concerned about this aspect of the transaction. Dealerships make more money on deals when they go thru their own lenders, so they may have pulled a fast one when they signed you up at Chase instead of Mazda Credit. If you didn't sign anything that stated, "all incentives to dealer" you may have a case on the rebate part as well.
    I would try to calling another Mazda dealer and ask the salesmanager how rebates are suppose to be handled. If by law it is required that sign over the rebate, then you may have a claim in small courts. I'd call whoever will pick up a phone and get as much info as I could. But, whatever happens, you did get a great van at a very good price... so good luck ban. :)
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Rebate is not mentioned in the bill of sale or any paper work that I signed with them . And no tax was collected . sale price $19995 + $95 + $359 - $3000(Trade in allowance ) = $17449.

I'm in CT also...Based on your post the deal is billed wrong. The selling price should have been increased and the rebate taken off the bottom line. Rebates are taxable in CT.

otoh...A while back mazda had a program that allowed the dealer to take the incentives before the car was sold...its too complicated to explain here but if thats the case the MAC cash would not be available and the customer cash incentive becomes dealer cash which is not taxable. I would need the vin # to determin if this was the case. (its not a bad thing and nothing to worry about...just some behind the scenes stuff)
    Thanks for the reply, I m sure I didnot sign any such papers.
    Chase is at 8% and Mazda perhaps at 9 or 10% I dont care becos I can pay that amount any time , all I need is rebate at front.
    My friend bought LX base model from Milford dealer has signed those rebate papers (2 weeks ago for $17,700 out the door with roof rack , remote starter).
    Yes will pursue further with Mazda . Thanks again
  • bayboy8688bayboy8688 Member Posts: 11
    I just bought this car in North CA 2006 MPV SV brand new -- OTD $17000.

It doesn't have any options. It doesn't even have floor mats.

It's the only one left in this area. The car got 280 miles because they got it from South CA.

Do you think if I got a good deal or not? I checked all the messages before and it seems some people even got better than mine earlier this year.

Thanks
    That's a steal at $17,000 out the door. Could have came without tires and an engine and it would still be a good deal. Enjoy!
  • d5ad5a Member Posts: 63
    Been looking for the past two months at getting a larger car. Keep coming back to the Mazda brand. Have a dealer offering me a new 2006 MPV LX-SV with a MSRP of 23,710 out the door for 17,500. The MPV has a few options like rear air, Cargo net and roof rack and floor mates but i would have to add privacy tint to the rear glass. Also have another Mazda Dealer offering me a 2007 Mazda 5 touring with a sticker of 20,695 on the road for 20,880. The 5 has a sunroof and automatic air, rear bumper guard and floor mates also. I cant decided which car will be the best one over the long haul. Should I save the money and go with the MPV and hope its a good van, but fear taking a loss on the resale value due to it being an older model, or should I pay more and get a newer style Mazda 5. Each car has its pros and cons just trying to figure out which one will be best for the next 5 or so years. I'm worry the MPV may not be as reliable due to having a ford engine but not sure if the 5 is any better with it being a new model. Any words of wisdom would greatly be apprecaited. :) Also please tell me your thought on the prices I have been offered. Thanks everyone for your help!
    Hi,

Are you in California? If yes, are you in the bay area? I just bought a LX-SV without any opetions for 17K even OTD. It looks you got an better offer.
    In Maryland. Its the last van i can find at this point. Went after some ES models for the poor doors option but they got sold with in days of finding them. This van only has rear air, floor mates,cargo mat,cargo net, and a roof rack. Do you have any of these options? You may have the same items. I think its a god price for any car/van just worried about the reliability factors. At this price point the only things out there are Scions that may have room, but worried about the the scions safety record. And really for what your getting at that price I cant seem to find anything out there to match it with the room. How do you like yours so far? Did you look at the 5? Found a 06 new toyota sennia van for 22,000 plus tax and tags but it has less then the mazda. Wondering if the toyota is worth it just for the resale value compared to the mazda. But buying the toyota would strap us.
    thanks for your reply. I just bought it and havn't had driven it much. Mine doesn't have any of the options such as rear air, floor mats, cargo net, rook rack, etc. it doesn't have any options. I need to have the windows tinted also. What I liked is the price and my wife actually likes the size. She doesn't like to dirve bigger vans such as Quest, Oddy, and Sienna.

We once looked at a 2006 new Sienna LE, OTD 26.5K that has rear air, one power door, CD changer, side air bags. I liked the Sienna better but my wife likes MPV better. Also, as you can see, the price is amost 10K more than the mpv.

BTW, what's the tax rate in Maryland for buying a car?
    Wow sounds like are wives are the same. I like the sennia also but love the price of the MPV. My wife doesn't want a large van either. Finds them to be to big. I thought the Toyota would be a better value as far as resale down the road. Our tax rate here is 5% whats yours in CA? I'm really happy with the price and it would be a great car payment just worry about really knowing nothing about the MPV.

I agree with you 100% the toyota is very pricey compared to the mazda. It be $24,500 for a base CE toyota Van with nothing and I mean nothing on it. At least the MPV is $17,500 with some options.

To be honest still not sure what what we will end up with at this point.

Thanks for your response.
    Tax rate in CA is 8.25%.

Have you looked at other minivans? I am seeing there are big cash rebats on Caravan, Quest, Minivans from Ford, Kia, GM also. It seems it's hard to get break on price on the two hot minivans--Oddy and Sienna.

I had a Nissa Quest for 9 years and I bought it new. it never gave me any trobles, but I think it would have caused 6K more than MPV.

Merry Christmas.
    I haven't test driven any vans other then the Oddy and the Seinna. Neighbors just bought a Caravan due to the rebates. Had considered a Caravan but not sure of the reliability either. I like the looks of the Nissan but when I looked at them they seemed to be open of the most expensive in our area. Good to hear your was reliability Going to check out the rebates in our area on the quest and see if its worth a closer look at.

Thanks
    Merry Christmas
  • moveovermoveover Member Posts: 31
    Just bought a loaded LX Plus(sunroof and power doors) in MD for
    $19.6k out the door. :) Mica Blue, not our first choice, but for that kind of discount. They had one more left, no sunroof but the 4 season package.
    Wow great price! Was that $19.6k plus tax and tags or on the road? Which dealership in MD? I'm in MD also. They are hard to find vans. Found a silver at Russel Mazda with power doors for $20,212 plus tax and tags, but it got sold the next day when we went to look at it. Then found a black ES model at another dealer for $23,710 plus tax and tags, and it got sold before we got a chance to go to the dealership. The only one left that I've been able to find is a base model with out the power doors and its green (not our first choice either) but like you the rebates are great and its hard to pass up.

Do you like it so far? Seriously thinking of just buying the base green MPV that we have found just for the price.
    On the road, it stickered at $27,055, was at Darcars Mazda in Silver Spring, they have one more left. Think with a sticker of $26900, same color. Mine was their advertised special, but think you can do the same if you insist on getting a similar deal. Like it so far, it replaces our 2001 Odyssey EX. Which my wife found too big.
    Just curious what OTD price you are looking at for the base green MPV? How many miles on it?
    thanks
    I bought my new MPV but it got 300 miles on it. I didn't think of the new car first 4K breakin miles when I bought it. I am wondering if this first 300 miles affect the car at all. The dealer told me that they got this MPV from another dealer 250 miles away and it's driven from there. I am pretty sure the driver wouldn't care about the break-in miles and wouldn't just drive it below 55 mph. But does that hurt the car much?

Thanks so much for your reply.
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    I don't recall Mazda changing the break-in period to a longer period. On our '02 ES, it was 600 miles (1,000 km). Quoted from the '02 Owners Manual - your owners manual should have something similar:

No special break-in is necessary, but a few precautions in the first 1,000 km (600 miles) may add to the performance, economy, and life of your Mazda.
    • Don’t race the engine.
    • Don’t maintain one constant speed for long.
    • Don’t drive constantly at full-throttle or high engine rpm for extended periods of time.
    • Avoid unnecessary hard stops.
    • Avoid full-throttle starts.
    • Don’t tow a trailer.

-Brian
    Just purchased a 2006 MPV last night. The manual stated 600 miles for break in. Going to take it easy for at least 1,000 miles.
    Rental cars are never broken in. I've never heard their engines to be more prone to be in need of repair. Maybe, a properly broken-in engine gets 180,000 miles and one improperly broken in gets only 170,000. Anybody out there know of a friend or aquatence who didn't properly break-in their vehicle and later had problems attributed to such??

I would think it would take some serious intent to do damage to the engine of a new vehicle. I would certainly follow the owners manuals guideline for break-in, but I really wouldn't worry about a few hundred miles put on the vehicle before I bought it though.
    Just curious, which one did you buy and how much?
    Hi guys,

What do you think about the 7 years($1.7K)/10 years($2.4k) Mazda extended warranty? Did you bought it? We still can buy it. I don't want it because I basically for the price. If I pay more, I would look for other minivans that are more considerable more reliable by some people. But my wife wants the extended warranty becuase she wants "peace of mind":-)

BTW, OD5, have you got one yet?

Thanks
    Which one would you take? Reasons?

Thanks.
    Hi guys,

Is the 7 year one a 100 k mi warranty? Honda dealers may sell this one close to cost for around $1000 for the Oddessy.

In general, if you want peace of mind, use the $1500 or so to purchase $500,000 of term life for you and the missus for 5 years, so the kiddies have something to live on if you and/or the wife take the big hit.

Spend it on 2 or so years of home insurance on your $300,000 asset with $100000 or so of liability. Pay for the $500,$300,or $3000 car repairs out of pocket.

--jjf

What do you think about the 7 years($1.7K)/10 years($2.4k) Mazda extended warranty? Did you bought it? We still can buy it. I don't want it because I basically for the price. If I pay more, I would look for other minivans that are more considerable more reliable by some people. But my wife wants the extended warranty becuase she wants "peace of mind"

BTW, OD5, have you got one yet?
    Would not buy the extended warranty until the last day of the standard warranty. The price won't change and you might not like the car, it will be hard to get the money back. Invest the $2500 in a CD for 4 years.

As of buying the Odyssey vs the MPV. We bought a new 2001 EX in sept 2000 and paid around $28.6 OTD, trying to sell for $10K , so that would be $18K in 6 years. I bet that the MPV LX I bought for $19.5 will be worth more then 5K in 6 years. 6 yr old LX Odyssey's go for around $7500.

I expect the MPV to cost me around $2k/year and a LX Odyssey at least $2.5K/yr. My LX MPV is nearly as loaded as an Odessey EX but the homelink and power seats.

The Odyssey is not a bad car, but from a pure financial point the MPV is way ahead.
  • annaaannaa Member Posts: 2
    Don't buy it!!! Our transmission just went out and we had the car serviced by the local Mazda dealer since day 1. We have now found out that the 2002 MPV has problems w/ the transmission. Mazda USA is not acknowledging a problem!!! If we could go back in time, we would have spent a little more and bought a Honda. See nhts.gov for consumer complaints!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.