Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV Prices Paid and Buying Experience

15678911»

Comments

• jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    Oh god help you, you can go over to the Honda Oddessy forum and listen to their complaints about transmissions. (One guy put 3 in in 100000 miles,2 under warranty, and paid labor for the 3rd) They have tranny complaints galore. (although a small percentage of the total sold)

Really folks, things happen to machines. They are mechanical after all. My neighbor has a Ford Windstar (generally considered a mediocre van) with 210000 trouble free miles on it. Numerous Oddessy owners have had major problems (although likely not as many as the Windstar)

You place your bets and takes your chances.

--jjf

Don't buy it!!! Our transmission just went out and we had the car serviced by the local Mazda dealer since day 1. We have now found out that the 2002 MPV has problems w/ the transmission. Mazda USA is not acknowledging a problem!!! If we could go back in time, we would have spent a little more and bought a Honda. See nhts.gov for consumer complaints!!!!!!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Let's give our new member a break...

Obviously, found our forums through Google, as they are replying to a 3-yr.-old message..

Anyway... sorry to hear about your transmission problems, but one instance on a 5-yr.old vehicle is not likely indicative of future or past performance of the entire model.

Welcome to CarSpace forums!!

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    I think it careless to warn off others buyers solely on your experience with this one minivan. That Mazda is paying to replace your transmission despite it being out of warranty, per your post in another discussion, tells me they are taking pretty good care of you.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • d5ad5a Member Posts: 63
    What are most people paying for the 5 and the MPV?

Also owners or people who have had or driving toyota and Honda minivans do you feel mazda is in the same class as both the larger companies?

Purchased a Mazda and I love it so far but feel like toyota and honda are the minivan kings and wondering what is so special about them that everyone seems to own a Toyota or Honda.

In my area every other car is a honda or toyota minivan. You never see mazda 5 or MPV's or an american brand.

The school drop off looks like a commercial every morning for honda or toyota. I'll be the only mazda van there. I'll feel left out. I guess at least my child will be able to find me when I go to pick him up..
  • moveovermoveover Member Posts: 31
    As mentioned earlier we owned an Odyssey for 6 years and I think the Mazda is in the same class. My wife likes the MPV better due to it's size. She wanted a SUV but I like a Minivan due to it's hauling capabilities.

Don't forget both Honda http://world.honda.com/news/2004/4040513.html and Toyota make MPV sized Minivans, but have decided not to sell them in the US. Ford's parent probably doesn't want Mazda to sell full size Minivans competing with it's Minivans
  • coffeedude10coffeedude10 Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I just purchased a 2006 MPV LX with 17,000 miles on it. It doesn't have any upgrades, just the regular LX-trim options. We couldn't find a used ES (2004 or newer) in our price range. Plus, there don't seem to be too many of them for sale in our area.

We narrowed our search to Honda, Toyota, and Mazda. Obviously we were going to get an older model with more miles if we went with the Honda or Toyota. I previously had a Mazda Protege and loved it. So, we thought we'd give the MPV a shot. So far, it seems like a very nice vehicle.

We ended up paying $14,995 and got Edmunds TMV trade-in value on my 2000 Ford Focus ZX3. So, we are pretty happy with the deal. Anybody else get similar prices? Better/worse??

I do have a question/concern though. There was vibration in the front end while moving and braking on our test drive. The dealership put new front tires on it and said that fixed it. Well, a couple days later it is doing something similar. It now has a vibration like we are constantly running over a bump with each revolution of the wheels. Any ideas on what this is?? Thanks, and I hope to keep discussing MPV's on here with the regulars!
    Congrats on your new ride coffeedude... sounds like a really good price to me.

Don't have any idea about your wheel. I'd take it back to the dealership and tell them to fix it. Good luck.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • arteestarteest Member Posts: 1
    We just bought the same 2006 MPV LX model (basic!) you did with a few more miles (23K). Paid $14345 plus tax and license. Seemed like a good price given extensive research I did online.Same scarcity in our area (western New york). There weren't many to be had and all were more than this dealer (Ognibene). Don't like to hear about that vibration though. Did you get the extended warranty? We considered it but on advice of a sister-in-law who has worked in car leasing and warranty business, will postpone until just before the original warranty expires.
  • d5ad5a Member Posts: 63
    Bought a dark green LX MPV from koons mazda in MD, last one they had. Got it out the door for $17,500. It has a roof rack, rear air, all weather floor mates, bumper guard. Only had 8 miles on it when we got it. We now have 2,500 miles and so far we love it. ITs turning out to be nicer then we thought. Do have a few issues that i was wondering if anyone else had come across. My dash board is making noise around the steering wheel colloum and there is a noise coming from the rear door on the passenger side that sounds like a zipper rattling. I cant figure out what it is but when i go over bumps i hear it from behind the drivers seat area. Other then that the van has been trouble free and a real work horse hauling us around all over the place with no complaints. :D

When are the Mazda chats held? Is it Tuesday nights? If so what time.
    Thanks
  • nlsnls Member Posts: 65
    The title of this forum shows up as "Madza MPV: Prices Paid & Buying Experience".
  • jmkunkjmkunk Member Posts: 1
    Just bought an 02 with 63000 mi. DVD, TV, Leather, Power Doors, Power drivers seat, just about every option that I can think of, $11899 on the road. Tax, tags included. They tried to get us for an extended warrenty for another $2000 after the deal. 24 mo 24000 miles. I think I can do a little better on the open market if we decide to get a warrenty. Does anyone have any do's or don't's?
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    I think I can do a little better on the open market if we decide to get a warranty. Does anyone have any do's or don't's?

Only buy a warranty that is backed by a manufacturer.
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    Yeah if you want a warranty the Manufacturers warranty is generally the best way to go. I've heard of aftermarket warranties by GEICO and AAA but I would read the fine print and keep my investment to $200-300. (and stick to the big companies like GEICO and AAA)

With a used 02 I don't know if Mazda offers a warranty. If they do try to keep it below $1200 for 5 yrs and 60000 miles of coverage. Avoid any aftermarket warranties hawked by the dealer.

Test drive the sucker for 1hr, up hills,down hills in reverse, 30 miles highway driving. Start it with the key 5 times. Check signals lights turn signals windows etc. Check all the body panels in good light to look for matching and a Carfax report.

In your contract try to include 30 day 2000 mile warranty on all mechanical parts and labor. You'll find this stuff is superior to aftermarket warranties.

Good Luck
    --jjf

think I can do a little better on the open market if we decide to get a warranty. Does anyone have any do's or don't's?

Only buy a warranty that is backed by a manufacturer
  • tony78tony78 Member Posts: 16
    My wife and i purchased a MPV LX at norco mitsubishi / mazda in norco, ca in june of 2007 for $ 14,800 brand new, the dealer was having an inventory reduction sale. We decide to get the bronze mist metallic color. we decided not to get any upgrades because in the future we plan on having a dvd player installed at a local stereo shop, the dealer said that item would of been about a $2500 option and the salesman told us to get our own installed and save some money,,i never heard of a salesman who didn't try and sell an upgrade, the only two items i purchased at the time of purchase were the factory shop manual and the black plastic trim strip that goes on the top of the rear bumper,as of this post we have about 10k miles on the van and it is runnig very well, i have changed the oil 3 times using factory filters and castrol oil. we have driven the van from riverside county to san francisco and back 4 times and have averaged from 27 to 24 mpg highway and 24 to 21 city mpg
    This is our first mazda and if this van turns out to be a good running dependable car we just may buy another mazda in the future.
    Our van has the 3.0 liter v-6 engine and 4 speed automatic with overdrive.
    The van runs 2600 rpm @ 70 mph.
    Happy trails to you.
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    Your '07 MPV actually has a 5sp automatic tranny with that 3.0L V6.

Congrats on your purchase last year and here's to many more happy miles in your MPV!

-Brian
    You must be a very "careful" driver to get 21-24 mpg city. That's pretty good. I get about 24 mpg highway on my family trips to Florida. Congrats on your buy... and pop in time to time to let us know how it is doing.
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    actually, I believe you may have an '06 MPV, as they stopped making the MPV available in the U.S. after the 06 MY.

-Brian
  • asusuxasusux Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 95 Mpv,4 wheel drive,3.0 V6,Loaded, for a $1000. Good tires, runs good, 125000 miles. Water pump went out,no problem,was ready to service the timing belt anyway. Motor has never been touched,needs a tune up.{Wires, plugs, D-cap and rotor] Sand Tan color. Rear bumper is dented, But it has a reciver hitch.Gets about 17 on the road.Is that about right? Good air [front and back] Everything works but pass-door power window, and a strange wiring problem. Low beams on, do a right turn signal,lights go on hi beam? Sounds like its in the steering collium. Really like the van. How does the rear leveler work? Mark
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Hi, asusux..

We have a lot of MPV discussions... plenty of them more active than this one, since there aren't many new prices to report..

Check them out HERE.

Good luck!
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

This discussion has been closed.