Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda MPV Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    You can get the prices right here. Go to the "New Cars" tab and it will lead you in a few clicks to the MPV. You can select both 2003 and 2004 models and see the price difference, not only for MSRP but also for "true market value" (TMV), which gives you some idea of actual prices in your area including any incentives.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Better hurry - those '03 prices will probably roll off the new car pages soon.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    tomj5tomj5 Member Posts: 209
    Yeah, I agree. It is a dog eat dog world out there. Personally, anyone that treats me with respect, I treat them with respect.
    If I get bad vibes about a salesmen, I ask for another one.
    Bad Vibes:
    1. Silly jokes.
    2. Meaningless Chit Chat.
    3. "I am doing you a favor" attitude..
    4. Probing for personal information.
    5. Lack of knowledge about car...
    6. Pretense that salesman will "use" his influence with the dealer to get me a "special" deal...
    Maybe someday Wallymart will get into the business..
    Tj
  • Options
    danogdanog Member Posts: 318
    Not leaving Mazda out of consideration had us on the local Mazda lot today after spending three weeks solid with Sienna's, Odyssey's.

The rebate for the '03 is $2500 and the rebate for the '04 is $1500. As far as MSRP pricing the '04 isn't much more than the '03. The new subtle changes are nice and the rear disc brake option is excellent. Problem is very little availability, same as the Sienna.

So here is the quick deal without working them.
    MPV ES loaded (it was in the local car show last weekend) MSRP $29870. About the only option it didn't have is the RES (DVD) system.

I'm trying to get past the smaller size and lower HP from the V6. Gas mileage is lower, but not by much but with the reduced HP you'd think it would be better.

Thanks for the buying tips, it really helps putting things in order of importance. Need versus wants have always caused indecision with us because when spending this much money you should at least have some enjoyment as well as reliability. If it were merely transportation I'd buy the cheapest new car and drive it til the wheels fell off.

Dano
  • Options
    bigdadibigdadi Member Posts: 72
    >>>
    If it were merely transportation I'd buy the cheapest new car and drive it til the wheels fell off.
    <<<

I suggest you take a look at KIA Spectra forum. It is one of cheapest new car with tons of problems.
  • Options
    I'll pass on that one thanks very much!

Bought the 2004 MPV over the weekend. Deal was $28839-$1500rebate+TTF. It doesn't have the Four Seasons package which I wanted but the wife couldn't wait. Now that a few days have past I really believe we could have gotten it for $28000. Oh well.

So far the smell doesn't appear to be a big issue and we've had no trouble with either power door.

I'll post updates if anything is worth posting.

Dano
  • Options
    "can Kia compete in an arena that is already dominated by the likes of Buick, Honda and Toyota? When looking at it in terms of the car itself, the answer is yes. Where the Amanti could fail is in the peripheral details — dealership experience, service, marketing, advertising budgets and public perception." (main edmunds.com page this week).

Sounds just like what people were saying about Honda and Toyota 30 years ago, and about Mazda not that long ago.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    notasoccermomnotasoccermom Member Posts: 55
    Just bought an '04 MPV ES last week. Paid $26,051 including rebate, has cargo rack, 4-seasons package and wheel locks. I think we got a pretty good deal, considering average retail for our area is $26,350. We are very happy with the service and negotiating process with King's Mazda/Kia in Cincinnati, OH. In fact, we also got $1700 over Kelley Blue Book value for our trade in, and it had a cracked windsheild, chipped side view mirror, and some trim missing from a door. We had to go back and forth with them some on the trade-in value, but they were no-haggle at all on the price for the MPV. I got the quote from them on the MPV through their internet pricing and they didn't try to pull any fast-ones when we went into the dealership (like, oh, we don't have THAT van anymore, it's sold). So, overall we are quite pleased. We looked at a Kia Sedona first, but for the extra few thousand we spend on the Mazda, I think we got a MUCH nicer car for our money and in the long run will have better reliability and resale value.
  • Options
    clc3clc3 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know what will happen to the '03 MPV rebate after Dec 1? Will it be extended, cancelled, increased....?
  • Options
    Congrats to your MPV purchase. Do me a favor. If you experience any tranny hard shift from 2nd to 3rd gear (between 20MPH to 30MPH), please record the mileage and situation how in your 1st hard shift happened, report it to the the forum. If you don't get this hard jerky shift, congrats.
  • Options
    notasoccermomnotasoccermom Member Posts: 55
    Yes, we did experience the 2nd-3rd gear hard shift several times unfortunately, starting at 525 miles on the OD, we're pretty disappointed about it. We absolutely love the minivan otherwise. I documented the incident on the MPV problems & solutions forum here. We are calling the dealership tomorrow (just got back in town tonight) to see what they say. I'll post updates on the other forum.
  • Options
    I drove 1,500 miles trip Boston/Toronto/Boston in Thanksgiving weekend.
    I started to experience the 1st hard shift about same mileage you had. 500 mis seems is the clue. The hard shift feels a bit stronger during the trip last week.
    Wonder how much Mazda charges on a tranny back flush. If it is not too much I will pay for it just for the peace of mind.
  • Options
    gopalaggopalag Member Posts: 1
    I bought my MPV 2 days back for 19.5K.
    It's LX and comes with power sliding door, rear air and some other goodies. Basically I got 5.5K rebate over MSRP. I think it was a good deal.
  • Options
    oldmedicoldmedic Member Posts: 78
    Paid $22,500 + tax & title for 2003 ES with 4 seasons, 6 disc cd, power doors, GPX package, side airbags, and traction control. Purchased from Mazda of Knoxville. (they offer free tires for life if regularly serviced with them)According to Edmunds.com the price was right on the money. Love that gas mileage!
  • Options
    Please let us know if you experience some tranny 2nd to 3rd gear hard-shift. It feels like a minor bump from car behind, happening between 20 to 30 MPH at 2000 to 2500 RPM.
  • Options
    Yeah I've got those occasional hard shift blues in my new Coastal Blue MPV. Several others on Town Hall do too. Just read notasoccermom's post that Mazda is extending her warranty to 7/100k promising to fine a solution in the next 90 days. Mazda Corp knows about the problem even if your dealership is ignorant. It's a problem in 02, 03, and 04's so you're not alone.
  • Options
    Mazda should stick a disclosure on each new '04 MPV telling consumers this problem, until this problem can be fixed.
  • Options
    lumbarlumbar Member Posts: 421
    assuming each new MPV -has- the problem.
  • Options
    Sorry for the long delay in posting, I've been quit busy in 4QTR.

So far no problems with shifting but I assure you if it happens I'll post it. Check out my post in the MPV Problems & Solutions.

Those who have this problem may want to consider submitting it to the NHTSA for a review. That is how many get resolutions or at least responses from manufacturers.

Dano
  • Options
    radheshradhesh Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 03 MPV ES (silver metallic), with 15700 miles on it. It had the following options :

Security package
    All weather package
    Moonroof
    Roof rack
    Fog lights
    Auto dimming rearview mirror
    6 CD + cassette
    Cargo net

(basically, everything except the DVD & trailer hitch)

Paid 22,000 (incldg tax and tags) in the Washington DC area

Took it for a 600 mile trip to NYC & back, it drives great.
  • Options
    daron1daron1 Member Posts: 18
    Despite the recent rash of posts concerning the hard shifting problem, I bought an '04 LX, right off the boat, on 12/20. I had done extensive research using Edmunds, & other sites, and dealt exclusively through e-mail & phone. My salesman at Heritage Mazda in Bel Air, MD was great to work with & really understands the internet researcher/buyer. I'll gladly pass on his name if anyone e-mails me directly. Paid invoice on a Titanium LX w/ lx plus, traction & side bags, sports package, roof rack, bumper guard, & wheel locks.
  • Options
    photonmasterphotonmaster Member Posts: 3
    We bought a titanium 04 LX (base, no options) last weekend. Paid $20,300 plus tax/title/plates. Had a very pleasnat experience dealing with Mazda Gallery in Norwood, Mass, except for the fact that they initially wanted an additional $100 for the color, and even let us leave, but then called us next morning and dropeed the extra $$.
  • Options
    Funny how a little walk can be worth a hundred bucks. Congrats to the owners!

Steve, Host
  • Options
    nwngnwng Member Posts: 663
    since you bought a base LX, can you tell me without the privacy glass, is it like regular tinted glass you can see through. Also, do you have a black strip across the bottom of the sliding door or nothing at all.

thanks

firing at full spread?
  • Options
    ddb6ddb6 Member Posts: 3
    Looking to buy a new MPV in Long Island New York area. Also have another SUV trade-in. Any tips?
  • Options
    rumor24rumor24 Member Posts: 74
    I would read all the recent message boards first. Tranny issue that has a fix on the way. 03's and 04's. Other than that, it is a good vehicle. Strongly suggest waiting for the tranny fix first. I think alot of the MPV owners that have the problem (me included) would agree.
  • Options
    rumor24 is right, no good deal is worth the nerve racking feeling you could get if your MPV is one with the 2-3 tranny problem. Keep shopping till this issue is resolved. MPV is a great vehicle and there's still a lot of 03 deals out there.
  • Options
    kiwishredkiwishred Member Posts: 2
    I am in the market for a new 2003 MPV. There is still some inventory in Seattle region. Can get a no-haggle "internet" price of exactly invoice. But with rebate on 2003 only $1000 less than 2004 it seems dealer is expecting buyer to eat most of depreciation of last year's model. Is it realistic to expect to be able to go lower than invoice on 2003 ? If so, any personal experiences of by how much would be appreciated ? TIA, Brent.
  • Options
    dan2004dan2004 Member Posts: 86
    Just haggle with the dealer a little...they must be getting desperate to sell 2003...they are used cars now. Don't be afraid to give the dealer an "outrageous price" and walk away. He will call back.
  • Options
    waterbabywaterbaby Member Posts: 9
    Hello all:

I have been reading these posts with interest,and am now glad to say that we are members of the MPV club! We purchased a 2002 ES (leather, sunroof) today - only drawback is 55k miles on it - for 16000. We figured that the 12 month/12k mile warranty the dealer (Richmond Honda - Richmond, VA) gave us was what we would need, given how we plan to use the van. Other 2002s we looked at had the mileage to keep us within the factory warranty, but the time limit would run out on us in about a year anyway.

So please don't tell me now that there are all kinds of problems that crop up right at 55k miles . . . there didn't seem to be that kind of thread on these boards anywhere.

Back on topic, the dealer was great - we called from the road to ask him to have paperwork ready etc as we were coming in with a 4 year old and a 2 year old - we got there and the car had temporary tags on it already, paperwork was printed and taken care of in about 20 minutes. We'd definitely deal with them again.

Anyway, glad to be a part of the minivan contingent!

-Waterbaby
  • Options
    kiwishredkiwishred Member Posts: 2
    Well, the initial attempt was $924 under invoice. This would have made an '03 LX with power doors, traction control/side air bags, rear air, & roof rack exactly $20,000 after rebate. This seemed to be a no go (although I didn't walk out to see if that was really the case). I ended up at $500 under invoice. This was accepted without a counter offer which makes me believe I certainly could have gone lower. This dealer had 5 '03's on the lot (all LX's).

Problem for me was this was the last '03 LX out of a stock of 13 in the greater Seattle area that had the AB7 traction control/side air bags package. Side air bags were at the top of my desirable options list as early indications are that these are quite effective in real world crashes. Also, it was coastal blue which my wife had a strong preference for relative to other colours available in the area. So, weighing the downside of missing the deal versus the upside of saving a few extra hundred $$, my hands were tied a little.

Based on my experience, I suggest other buyers who are in a region where there is still good inventory and are more ambivalent about options, colours, etc, could certainly do better.

Brent
  • Options
    hypathiahypathia Member Posts: 1
    Well I just got back from picking up my '03LX model. There were no more '03 in my local area and I had to call many dealerships that were 90 miles from my area to get a great deal. After much research I knew I was going to get a MPV but the decision was a 2004 or 2003. Bargaining to try and get some more options in order to take a "old" new car off there lot paid off. I of course had to spend 1 whole day on the phone back and forth with dealers to get the price I wanted. I paid 23,000 for a Black LX model with a moonroof, 4 season package, gfx package, power doors, rear ac, autodimming mirror, 6 cd changer, airbag and traction control, fog lights, rear bumper step plate, spoiler, roof rack, wheel locks, cargo net and we bargained for them to put on the hitch. I feel i got a good deal on this one. I feel I got a little over anxious at the end but after being on the phone all day I was ready to settle at 23000 esp for a new car with 72 miles on it. this included title but not tax since I live in another state as the dealership. So far so good but with the state of emergengy in Cincinnati I am not going to drive it till they clear the roads. Thanks to the Craig and Landreth Mazda in Louisville KY.
  • Options
    cutawaycutaway Member Posts: 5
    Paid $26,109 plus tax & registration, then minus the $2,500 rebate. In a nutshell, I got $500 off the invoice ($26,609). This 03 MPV ES black without the 4-season/towing...but with roof rack, power sliding doors, real spoiler, GFX package, leather, 6-CD changer, plus side-sill.

Great car...but we just discovered the 2nd - 3rd gear shifing problem. And we're anxious to read about how to get it fixed.

James
    San Jose, CA
  • Options
    steveeaststeveeast Member Posts: 158
    Call your dealer and tell them you have the 2-3 hard shift problem. With luck they'll know what you're talking about and schedule your van for the TCM reflash.

If they don't know, then you'll have to push them to contact Mazda for the info. Or contact Mazda yourself and get them to send the info to the dealer.

Steve.

Steve.
  • Options
    wildwilliewildwillie Member Posts: 2
    I'm out here in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia getting really high quotes at a small local dealer for a 2004 MPV ES ($29,000 for a high-end one with moonroof that, it appears, would go for about $27,000 at the Fitzgerald Auto Mall on the Maryland side of D.C.). Part of me is inclined just to head for Fitzgerald, but:

1. Is Fitzgerald OK? and
    2. More to the point, is there a no-haggle Mazda dealer in Northern Virginia? (I assume that taxes, etc., would be less complicated if I -- a Virginia buyer -- bought in-state.)

wildwillie
  • Options
    daron1daron1 Member Posts: 18
    Bel Air, MD is probably too far for you, but I had a really good experience. '04 LX, w/ sport package, trac & side air...for invoice in late Dec. Dealt via the internet & phone. Salesman really understood the Edmunds.com-educated buyer. E-mail me directly & I'd be happy to supply the specifics that I can't post here.
  • Options
    waterbabywaterbaby Member Posts: 9
    Hi:

Don't leave Richmond out of the picture - Whitten Brothers usually has good deals and seem to be up front in terms of internet buying (take this with a grain of salt - we bought our used MPV from Richmond Honda - if we had gone new, the Whitten deals (3+k under invoice) were enticing.

Good luck!

Waterbaby
  • Options
    mwwstmwwst Member Posts: 30
    Just bought an '04 LX (titanium grey) with a dealer installed roof rack for $18,800 + tax/title/registration.

The dealer was advertising an LX for $18,499. When we got there the dealer said the advertised price was for 3 vehichles which were orignally fleet vehicles so couldn't do the one we were looking at for the same price. We held our ground ended up with the advertised price for the vehicle we wanted.
  • Options
    That is a great price! Does it have the LX Plus package or any other options, e.g. All-Weather package?
  • Options
    mwwstmwwst Member Posts: 30
    No options other than roof rack, otherwise that really would have been a great price. I just went over 100 miles. Boy, the miles go by quickly.
  • Options
    fredagfredag Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know what incentives are being offered now (March 2004) for 2004 MPVs? I'm looking for a 2004 MPV ES. On Mazda's US website (mazdausa.com) they seem to be offering 0.00% financing. Are there any cash rebates available? Thanks in advance for the information.
  • Options
    At least it was last weekend--but that was February. Have you called a dealer and just asked them what the current incentives are?
  • Options
    rockybunkrockybunk Member Posts: 3
    Found an LX 2003 with 950 miles in the paper. Asking 19K. Was used only two months before the owner passed away. No sales tax to add. It couldn't look and drive any better out of the dealer's showroom. Retail incl. original taxes was over $28k. It has almost all options you can put on an LX, except sunroof and 6 CD player. Had been shopping at dealers and got very disgusted with their attitudes and high pressure. $22.900 plus tax was the best anyone offered for a stripped down version of the LX, 03 and 04. Nine grand below what the previous owner paid I think is a good deal. No sign of bad shifting as yet. So much for my nickel's worth. Steve, keep up this great Forum.
  • Options
    adambrunetx2eadambrunetx2e Member Posts: 7
    I just finished ordering my 2004 GX. The final bill came to $31670. Got the convenience package - A/C, rear heat, cruise, power everything (except sliding doors), keyless entry, remote starter, alloy wheels etc etc. Got the dealer to throw in mud flaps, block heater, and under-coating for free. It's nordic green with beige interior. The base price was $26595 plus the convenience package and remote keyless, it came to $28375 then all the taxes, PDI, freight etc etc minus the $2875 trade I got for the Villager it came to $31676. paying over 48 months with 0 interest! Just waiting now to get a phone call to tell me it's ready to be picked up! The dealership was great (Mazda of Muskoka) and I get free lifetime oil changes. I thought the trade in was a little low for a 1997 Villager with only a little over 186000km (111600 miles) on it but it needed new brakes, all new A/C system, new passenger side power window motor, O2 sensor, and an ABS sensor and even an oil change. Plus the dealer has to pay taxes on top of that. My only beef is that Mazda has now offered the MPV in Canada in 3 different trims for 2004 - GX, GS, and GT - when it use to be LX, EX, and ES. Caused some confusion for me because the salesman kept refering to the GX as an LX. Can't figure out why they just woudn't keep it the same. Oh well - hopefully that will be the only problem I will have with my first Mazda.
  • Options
    bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    Using the Edmunds New Car Quote by entering different zip codes around your area, you can find many Mazda dealers. Email them for quotes so you don't need to see the salespersons' attitude. I am sure that's the best way to shop for your mpv. Before you leave your home, after you finalized who gave you the best deal, call them to make sure the vehicle is still available. Better with your finacing approved so you can bargain with the dealer's financing manager on rate. Here in Boston area the quote price is only good for same day transaction, so they can persuade you to do the financing through the dealer so they can profit extras from it.

In Boston 2004 MPV LX with alloy wheels is $19,500 (ad. car).
  • Options
    rickc5rickc5 Member Posts: 378
    We live in Aurora, CO, a suburb of Denver. I used Edmunds to contact six local Mazda dealers for quotes. After many emails and a few phone calls, we bought a new silver ES from a small dealer in Longmont (Mazda of Longmont). It has the options we wanted, and is a color we liked.

Most dealers wanted invoice plus a few hundred dollars, and then were going to add $300-360 for their "admin fee". The Longmont dealer sold us the ES for invoice, and NO admin fee. In addition, the van was undercoated by the dealer, which makes it much quieter on the highway.

All-in-all, a pleasant buying experience that only took about 45 minutes, including the sales manager's "tour" of the vehicle before we drove off.

If you live close enough in Colorado, give Mazda of Longmont a try.
  • Options
    bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    Congrats to your new buy. For those in the big city, I think one should enter zip codes E, S, W, & N of your city to expand the dealer territories. Last time I emailed between 12-16 Mazda dealers in a radius of within 1 hour drive. I don't mind to drive one hour if I can get the best deal that would save me 500 bucks. Even my email told them to contact me by email, still not all of them emailed with a price quote, some needed you to call them or they call you with different kind of sale excuses. I dropped all these first, then I kept a log what those offered & options equipped by email. Finalize the target dealer with another dealer as back-up, then go for it. The buy process at the dealer was about 30 mins, and picked up the PeeVee in late afternoon. The internet sales person greeted me with big smile 'cause he knows I'd buy the MPV 99.99% that day.
  • Options
    whodewhode Member Posts: 15
    Here on Edmund's under current incentives for the MPV, it shows that in addition to the $2,000 rebate, there's an additional $1,000 rebate that requires a direct mail certificate to be presented. Does anyone know what this is about and, of course, how does one get a certificate?
  • Options
    audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    There is a direct mail certificate being sent out by ford/mazda....its going to people who are leasing competative makes...if you get a certificate you qualify. It is not trasnferable outside of the household. For edmunds to post this is very misleading, there are many more who will not get this certificate than who will....only the original certificate is accepted and proof of residence and ID is required.
  • Options
    The fine print seems pretty clear to me:

"$1000 Cash to Customer start: 03/03/2004 end: 07/05/2004

Restrictions

Must not have purchased a new Mazda, Ford, Lincoln or Mercury in the past 4 (four) years.

Comments

The Direct Mail Certificate is issued to select customers. Only eligible customers qualify. Customer required to show a copy of the Direct Mail Certificate. At least one Direct Mail Certificate is required for redemption per purchase/lease. At least one Direct Mail Certificate is required for redemption per purchase/lease. Incentives may vary; contact your local dealer for details."

Incentives & Rebates

My advice is just to tell the dealer that you know others are getting incentive offers in the mail and you want similar consideration :-)

Steve, Host
This discussion has been closed.