Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

99 1500 Dodge Quad Cab 4x4

rickstoutrickstout Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Dodge
I would like to know how the performance of this
truck has been since out on the market. I am
looking at buying one and would like to have some
comments? Thanks Rick

Comments

• zbad71zbad71 Member Posts: 226
    I don't think Dodge has rectified the tons of transmission problems their trucks and vans have had for years. If it were me, I would buy a Silverado as first choice, Ford as second.

I know that isn't what you asked for, but thought I would warn you of the transmission problems in case you didn't know. One friend of mine has a 96 model Ram Extended Cab with 360 and he constantly complains of 10 mpg gas mileage, he has 80k miles on the truck now and has had 10 sets of front brake pads on it and he is an older driver that does not drive hard. Those are the two biggest complaints I hear besides cosmetics and asthetics that are pure preferences.
  • davids1davids1 Member Posts: 411
    From what I have heard, Dodge has greatly increased the reliability of their Ram transmissions. I bought a 97 X-cab 4x4 1500 used, and the transmission did not feel quite right. I did not have any specific problems with it, it just did not feel as stout as a truck transmission should. I recently purchased a 99 Quad 4x4 1500 and the transmission shifts much more solid and does not shudder like the 97 did. Only time will tell how reliable the tranny is.

I have also had the truck in several times for movement in the steering column. Dealer is yet to resolve this problem, but I will not let up on them until they do. From some of the other posts I have read, the steering system has been a weak link in the truck. The September issue of Popular Mechanics berated the Ram for the same steering column problems. Read for yourself. I also read where Dodge made some changes to the steering system for the 2000 model year. Maybe I should have waited, but I couldn't pass up the $1000 rebate. I have the 5.2l (318 c.i.) engine. I get between 12 & 13 mpg in mixed driving. The 5.9l (360 c.i.) is actually rated 1 mpg higher in the city rating. Go figure!

I drove all three (Chevy, Dodge, and Ford) before I bought the 99 Quad. Ford was out from the get-go because I banged my knee on the dashboard when I climbed in the truck. Sorry Ford, but reserve the wrap-around dash for passenger cars. The Chevy was a nice truck, but the price was not right. Also, the chevy does not sit as high as the Dodge. I am 6'-5" tall, and I cannot stand having to fall into a vehicle. GM's plastic dashboard components look pretty cheap too.

I guess what I am trying to say is that you can find something wrong with each truck and something great with each truck. Drive all three. Pick the one you like the most. Buy it.

Have fun.
  • jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    I have a '98 quadcab 1500 4X4 with the 5.9 auto. With 23,000 miles on the clock, not a bit of trouble. The truck is quiet, rattle-free, solid, dependable, and tows and hauls well. Chevy and ford are faster. The trans problems were largely on the cummins diesel because it couldn't handle the constant torque. My brakes did require replacing at 13,000 miles and the dealer felt it premature and covered it under warrantee. The brakes on the 1500 are "smallish" and will require replacement sooner than the others. If you service the transmission per the sheduled maintainence, you should have no problems. The four doors are a great convenience. I took a vacation this summer with my wife and two teenage kids. The back was fully loaded and we pulled a 5,000 pound boat behind us 500 miles each way at 70-75 mph. No problems or comfort complaints. It was a gm trans failure that pushed me to buy dodge.
  • paramedic99paramedic99 Member Posts: 64
    I have a 99 1500 Ram 4x4 Quad cab that I purchased only a few months ago. I have merely 4K on it now but have had absolutely no problens, rattles, squeeks or trouble. The tranny does "clunk" into reverse.

I traded my 95 GMC in on the truck after my transmission failed at 52K with no towing and light hauling. I had replaced all the U joints, and then the tranny went with every synchro, gear and guide shot to hell. I rebuilt what I could and traded it in. In fact I could not buy a tail shaft with reverse gear as the suppliers all said it was on "intergalactic back order" for around 90 days.

I like the look of the Fords. But they remodeled after the Dodge and I would not trust a Ford engine if I had to. On top of that I was always a diehard GMC truck buyer. I dont care either for the use of materials in GMC interiors nor for the redesigned look. I always liked the 88-92 look and love the GM motors. But Dodge put it all together. 4 doors, a rebate, good price, nice style and interior.

But being a conservative CYA kind of guy I bought the extended warranty out to 75K and if the tranny goes then Chrysler will pay to fix it.

I too have noticed poor gas mileage but its a truck. If you want good gas mielage buy a Honda !

Before I bought my truck I spoke to a guy I know with a 97 1500 Extended Cab, 4x4 with a trailer package. He tows boats, and sleds as well as off roads for hunting, hauls his quad and jet skis and drives a ton for work. He has around 70K on the truck with no visits to the dealer ever expect for the intial free oil change and scheduled maintenance. Not a problem, squeek, rattle or clunk. Testimony to me that the truck was good.
    I have a 99 1500 Ram 4x4 Quad cab that I purchased only a few months ago. I have merely 4K on it now but have had absolutely no problens, rattles, squeeks or trouble. The tranny does "clunk" into reverse.

I traded my 95 GMC in on the truck after my transmission failed at 52K with no towing and light hauling. I had replaced all the U joints, and then the tranny went with every synchro, gear and guide shot to hell. I rebuilt what I could and traded it in. In fact I could not buy a tail shaft with reverse gear as the suppliers all said it was on "intergalactic back order" for around 90 days.

I like the look of the Fords. But they remodeled after the Dodge and I would not trust a Ford engine if I had to. On top of that I was always a diehard GMC truck buyer. I dont care either for the use of materials in GMC interiors nor for the redesigned look. I always liked the 88-92 look and love the GM motors. But Dodge put it all together. 4 doors, a rebate, good price, nice style and interior.

But being a conservative CYA kind of guy I bought the extended warranty out to 75K and if the tranny goes then Chrysler will pay to fix it.

I too have noticed poor gas mileage but its a truck. If you want good gas mielage buy a Honda !

Before I bought my truck I spoke to a guy I know with a 97 1500 Extended Cab, 4x4 with a trailer package. He tows boats, and sleds as well as off roads for hunting, hauls his quad and jet skis and drives a ton for work. He has around 70K on the truck with no visits to the dealer ever expect for the intial free oil change and scheduled maintenance. Not a problem, squeek, rattle or clunk. Testimony to me that the truck was good.
  • leonna1leonna1 Member Posts: 2
    We had always liked the new style, and we bought a 99 Quad cab 1500 in Feb. this year. We LOVE it! Had never bought a Dodge product, being from families of diehard GM buyers. Suffice it to say, who gets to drive the truck next is the only thing my husband & I argue about now! We did cringe at first about the gas mileage, but as you said, if you want good mileage, buy a Honda, for Pete's SAke! Oh, my other vehicle is a '91 Nissan Sentra, with 186,100 miles on it and still going strong. One extreme to the other, ha.
  • zbad71zbad71 Member Posts: 226
    Good for you! You bought what in your preference was the best truck. Thank God for a democratic society.

Good thing you bought an extended warranty. Most people I know that have bought Dodges wished they had one when all the problems started.

Take care.
    So true. Hopefully the extended warranty will help if there are problems that develop. Chrysler has come a long way. I thought about two things when I bought my Dodge: 1. everyone I have ever known that had a Ford has nothing but problems, my fathers brand new Ford with less than 500 miles on it self - ignited and burned completely in his driveway 2. GM redesigned totally the 1999 Sierra and who wants to be the guinea pig ?

I have erred however. I should have extended the warranty even further as I drive too many miles and will burn through my extension to 75K long before I am interested in a trade.
  • qsabeqsabe Member Posts: 1
    My 99 just turned a year old and except for a broken bolt in the steering column which allowed the gear shift lever assembly to fall apart, everything else is great. The card call was handled in a very short time, it was towed to a dealer and repaired, then delivered to my home in about 3 hours total. Coming from a General Motors past, I am very impressed. With a 5,9 liter and a heavy duty package, (trailer towing) I get 13 in town and 19 on the road, so mileage is pretty good for a pickup I would say. Mine was built in Missouri..
  • patcolepatcole Member Posts: 1
    My 98 went through brakes @ 24K miles and engine "JUST" caught fire. (The engine compartment hood liner anyway) I was able to pull off liner to prevent real damage built I'll be out shopping this weekend: Toyota, Ford, Chevy.. My 97 dodge junker tranny problems should have been enough warning.
  • BIGBADWOODBIGBADWOOD Member Posts: 1
    WELL I HAVE A 1995 RAM 1500 AND THE BRAKES WERE RE
    PLACED AT 35,000 MILES (MY FORD FI50 SB ATE ROTERS AND PADS) THE TRANSMISSION HAS WORKED FINE FOR THE LAST 50,000 MILES AND YES I DO ALL THE MAINTANED THAT IS RECOMENDED BY DODGE!!! BOTH TRUCKS WERE TO TOW A 27 FT FOUNTAIN POWER BOAT AND THE DODGE
    DOES BETTER THAN THE FORD (FORD DID FIX EVERY THING UNDER WARRANTY BUT TOOK FOR EVER AND THEIR PADES LASTED APX 7,000 MILES ) WHILE MY DODGE HAS NOT BEEN WITHOUT PROBLEMS IT IS THE BEST I HAVE EVER OWNED BAR NONE AND THE SERVICE AT (WEXFORD DODGE HAS ALWAYS BEEN VERY GOOD) WOULD I BUY ANOTHER
    YOU BET YOUR LIFE I WILL. THANK YOU BILL NEWCOMB
    AND THE GUYS IN SERVICE
    ANY QUESTIONS E-MAIL (ME) BIGBADWOOD@YAHOO.COM
  • antmerrowantmerrow Member Posts: 1
    My two cents...I have a 94 Dodge Ram, 318 w/ AT. It is a ST and does not even have a towing package. The truck has 97K miles and the only accessory I have ever added was a trans cooler & hitch. I pull a 5,000 lb boat during the summer and outside of the coil going bad I have NEVER had any problems with this truck. It runs like hell and neither the brakes or transmission have ever given me problems. So my problem? I am now thinking of buying new and can not decide between a new Z-71 or Dodge quad cab. I like the styling of both but prefer the drive train of the Chevy and the 4-wheel disks brakes. But, the Dodge has proven me well and I like the price better. I would also like more HP /torque for pulling but the 360 gas mileage along with Iraq oil prices scares me. Throw in the fact that the Dodge styling will most likely be changing and I'm at a crossroads. Any suggestions?
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    You've hit the Chevy strong points, fuel economy and brakes, and newer design. You've had your Dodge for 5 yrs, nearly 20k miles annually. Chevy's previous generation was revamped in '88, so 11 years before the current generation. Dodge revamped in '94, so it could be around for 4-5 yrs if truck sales remain strong. If they don't, but do start bringing new models to market with major cosmetic changes, that can hurt resale. One reason trucks have had high resale is the relative stability of conservative styling. Worse resale is not so bad if you get price savings up front.

The real equalizer is price. Only you can decide. Sounds like a fun problem to have.
    I'm 99.9% sure Dodge is restyling the Ram for the 2002 model year.
    I believe that all the gass engines are being replaced/updated at the same time.
  • almorrisalmorris Member Posts: 1
    I borrowed a 95 RAM Club Cab to haul some furniture in 1997. That truck handled so well I bought a 1997 Dakota. I was never unhappy with it until I had problems with my left foot and could not longer drive a standard. I have traded it on a 1999 4X4 Quad Cab RAM and man am I ever happy. While the big 8 only averages 17.9mpg between work and home, the longer road trips have seen milage over 18.5mpg. I have about 9K miles on it in about 3 months. I looked at the 99 Silverado and tried to look at the Ford but the local dealers believe in window shopping only since they did not offer to open one up. My wife had the final say in the decision as she had driven her dad's 99 Silverado for a couple of weeks and she said hands down - THE RAM. She is a short woman and said the RAM had more room! (So much for blueprint figures!).
  • bk2chryslerbk2chrysler Member Posts: 1
    Looking to trade in for a pickup (my first). I have driven ford and dodge, like the Ram handling, interior, but wonder about the incredibly wide window post on the Ram. It looks like an entire car could be hidden by the driver side post at an intersection with a car coming at you from the left side! Ford had a much better viewing area, in the post area as well as lookng back to the right. Anyone else notice this as a problem or irritant? Thanks
    Bought the Dodge anyway!! You get used to it.
  • tundra8tundra8 Member Posts: 4
    Want a good truck? Get a Tundra V8.
    If you're 5'-8" & 180 lbs!
    Yeah, you don't want to go over 180- it overloads the tundra. I guess its a good little commuter truck though. It'll handle at least 4 bags of groceries and a flat of flowers.
  • wheeler2wheeler2 Member Posts: 13
    That is the best mileage I've heard of for a 4X4 Ram. What have you done to it to get that MPG? I have learned to be happy with 16.6 MPG (mostly highway at 55-65 MPH)3.55 axle and 265 tires. I will hit 20,000 miles soon. Am looking at a cold air/ram air intake for some improvement.
    Let me know if you want to move to the mileage topic.
  • erikk1erikk1 Member Posts: 1
    Looking for a full size truck. I like the style of the Ram. but have no bias. Know a couple of people with the Ram. they seem to like it. Any comments would be helpful
  • anchorsaweighanchorsaweigh Member Posts: 4
    Hi, I'm new to this forum. Wish I'd have known about it sooner. I recently purchased a 97 Ram 1500 4X4 and thought I had done all of my homework. Out of the clear blue several people began asking me if the tranny is ok. Apparently, there were tranny problems with these trucks. I asked the local Dodge dealer and they said no such problem ever existed. I have searched the web to no avail. I have the 4-Spd auto w/tranny cooler. According to the build sheet the model is 46RE (I am assuming this is the model #). I am the second owner. The only thing Chrysler shows in its computer system for service history is a fuel pump change under warranty and power door lock assembly also under warranty. Should I just relax and enjoy my truck or am I in for a rough ride?

Thanks,

Bob
    Follow the prescibed maintainence schedule and you will greatly reduce the odds of any problems. Dodge has trans service every 12,000 miles which is more frequent than the others.
  • big7722big7722 Member Posts: 2
    HAVE A 98 2WD QUAD W/ANTI-SLIP, 5.9L AND GETTING ONLY 9.0 MPG,ALSO WHEN MAKING A LEFT OR RIGHT TURN IT SOUNDS AND FEELS LIKE REAR END GRINDING, HAD IT CHECKED OF LUB,AND IT WAS FULL ANY IDEAS ABOUT THE TRUCK PROBLEMS, OTHER WISE I LOVE IT! THANKS
  • robert1972robert1972 Member Posts: 51
    I have a 99 Sport ex-cab long bed diesel 4x4 w/ 3.54 empty I get 22 mpg and pulling a race car trailor that is almost 17000ibs loaded it gets around 12-13 mpg (it's a 5sp) The only problem I have is that it sways a little w/ all that weight and only being a 3/4 ton so I am looking for a used 1 ton but the problem is that most of the ones I find are all autos, and for pulling that much weight I think a stick is probably better. Depending on what you are going to do with it, make sure you get the right tranny thats about the only problem you might have.
    Rob.
  • doclymandoclyman Member Posts: 2
    Am contemplating purchase of Dodge 4x4 quad cab (automatic). Are the mileage stories as bad as I have heard for the 360ci? Would think 12 to 14mpg in town and 16 to 18 on the highway would be reasonable to expect(unloaded). Am I dreaming, or is it considerably lower? Can't believe a 99 or 2000 Dodge truck will only get 10 to 12 on the highway (not towing) as some people claim. Need some factual input from owners!
    I get 12 as combined mileage. I do very little interstate driving so my highway miles are largely 2 and 4 lane highways with stops.If mileage is major concern, don't go with dodge at least until the next generation engines are out in 2002.
  • doclymandoclyman Member Posts: 2
    Is yours a 1/2 ton or 3/4 and what rear end do you have in it? I am looking at the 1/2 ton/360ci/4x4/quad/short bed/3.55 rear axle, part of which I forgot to mention. Thanks for the input.
    Mine is a '98 1500 5.9 with automatic trans quadcab 4x4 short box and has 3.54 rear end. It is loaded with just about everything available from heady duty service group to leather interior. 12 mpg combined is very consistent. Gas mileage is one of dodge's weak points. I like my truck but I can be objective about it too. The trans service schedule is more frequent than the others and you need to follow it. The brakes work fine but they require replacement more often.
  • thomascthomasc Member Posts: 25
    My gas mileage on a '99 QC 4x4 with the 318 is about 12.5-13 city and about 16-18 highway. Not as good as my former Chevy but I don't have to visit the dealership bi-weekly anymore. I have 22k miles on the truck and the brakes are still O.K.--no complaints there. The truck is incredible--I love driving it! Unless it gives me lots of grief, my next truck will be a Dodge, also.

--TomC
  • anchorsaweighanchorsaweigh Member Posts: 4
    My 97 Ram 5.2L gets roughly 10 - 12 on the highway (8 in town). I have been told of mods to make to improve but nobody will give me a straight-up answer to fuel consumption figures. I understand that a lot has to do with the way you drive but there has to be a ballpark. I was contemplating the following:

Borla Exhaust
    Performance chip

I've already done:

Tonneau
    265 tires (Cooper Discover)
    Tried changing grades of fuel

I WON'T TRY FUEL ADDITIVES

I knew going into this truck that fuel economy didn't even enter into the equation, but a little improvement wouldn't hurt.

Any ideas?

Thanks
  • magnum360magnum360 Member Posts: 1
    Hi This page has helped me with learning about the dodges and what goes bad,what to look for,etc. I found it to be great and hope you will
    to.P.S, There is a new and old Message board there both great! http://www.abhunter.com/
    and http://www.abhunter.com/wwwboard/wwwboard.html

Hope you all enjoy,Bob
  • swade2swade2 Member Posts: 1
    I drive a 1999 4x4 Quad 5.9/3:55 with 10k miles
    on it.
    It gets 14-15 mpg hwy, I don't drive
    enough city to care about that mileage.
    The ONLY problem I have is a squeal that
    sounds like it is coming from the rear axle/brake
    area. It only occurs below 10 mph and is intermittent. The dealer could not isolate it
    and was in the process of locating some type
    of noise isolator,(his words, not mine)
    and the noise of course went away and has only
    re-occured twice in the last 4000 miles.
    The noise had started at about 3,000 miles and continued to about 6,000 miles.
    The noise sounds like metal to metal rubbing
    similar to brake pads that are worn to the rivet
    level. I had an independent mechanic also check
    it out but he had no luck.
    Other then that I have no complaints, so if
    anyone else has had a similar problem I would
    appreciate any feedback.
  • townsend5townsend5 Member Posts: 3
    I'am looking to buy a new dodge ram 1500 quad cab 4x4 sport edition with the off road package, 5.9l engine,auto. trans. Any suggestions on what options are a must have, any thing I should look out for.I would appreciate any help, thanks Chuck
  • glnortonglnorton Member Posts: 1
    My plan was to find the perfect truck and keep it for 10 years - like my last vehicle. My '99 Ram 1500 2WD QC w/ 5.9 started spark knock-pinging at 3k miles and MPG dropped from 14/18 to 9/13. Four dealer trips later they tell me all checks out OK and 'others ping worse!' I really like all else about the truck-quality, power, ride, reliability... if DC could only work on the spark knock and terrible MPG. Check out DEJA.COM for the usenet forum on ALT.DODGE to read about hundreds (conservative) of other ping problems. It's sad but my 1990 GMC w/305 sounds better and gets better mileage!!
  • srwadesrwade Member Posts: 8
    How strange, I am also a Wade. The squeal you are hearing is likely the same thing as my 99 quad cab. It only appears to occur at speeds under 20mph. I bought mine new off showroom floor and has made this squeal from day one. The dodge dealership hear states eventually it will be recalled but I have heard nothing of this as of yet. They stated it was some type of new metal plate that was designed for high performance and heat resistance. Don't recall exactly what it was. Something in front end though, however it does sound like it comes from the rear. Hope this helps.
  • bigmac10bigmac10 Member Posts: 1
    Just had my 99 quad 4x4 in for steering gear box out at 28,000. Full brake job at 25,000 including rotors, with no indication that I was having a brake problem,that really upset me and I let the dealer know it. But, on to the noise you guys are getting. I had the same noise and it is correct, it sounds like its coming from the rear but its the front end. Poor design if you ask me, but what do I know. Took it to the dealer who has always been great, a true 5 Star. The service mgr and I called an engineer and he said that they put dust shields on the 99 and had never done that before. He said cut them out. This was about 3 weeks ago and cross my fingers no problems yet. The guys at the dealer said they have had others like this and would do the same with them, and the svc mgr said there are others like this. Do as you wish, but as for me Ive got a 99 quad 4x4 SLT loaded for sale or trade. Im moving onto a Ford. Super cab 250 or an Excursion either diesel powered. My opinion after great research is that these two machines are truly tough. My dodge is alot of sheet metal with a very powerful engin 5.9L all covered up with under spec'd parts, particularly the tranny and the complete suspension including brakes.
  • gsandsgsands Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 99 QC 1500 Sport new from a dealer in July and started noticing a high pitched squeal which sounded like it was in the front driver's side wheel. It started around 3,000 miles so I took it to the dealer who couldn't find anything wrong. This noise was really bugging me because if I slowed down below 25 it was loud enough where people would actually look to see where it was coming from. It got a little quieter after the dealer greased something in the front wheel but came back again a week later. It seems to have gone away now at about 5,500 miles but I'm not sure if it just went a way or if the onset of cold weather had something to do with it.
    As far as gas mileage goes, it seems my Dodge is like all the others (10-13 combined). I didn't really want the 360 engine and in my opinion, the dealer loaded up all the trucks on the lot with 360's to make more money on this option. So far I really like this truck. My last 7 vehicles were Dodge or Plymouth products and I've always been happy with them. The body style of the Sport really catches the looks going down the road.
  • kschmidt2kschmidt2 Member Posts: 1
    The best thing I did was buy the 7/70 extended warranty($800) on this beast. With 47k it paid for itself many times over. After trans. valve body replacement at 37k and a trans. overhaul at 47k and it's still not right. It eats brake pads. 3rd set on now. Oil leaks(Drips Oil Drips Grease Everywhere is correct). Air bag module & switches + time to diagnose not covered on warranty. Constant ping! The Dealer said go to higher grade of gas. I said I didn't know they made higher than 93oct. 87oct was like running water. I don't beat this truck. No off road or excessive speed. I like the way it looks and handles but the gas station attend. knows me all too well. 15-16 Highway, 11-12 all around. Towing an enclosed trailer (under 4000lbs.) 6.6-9. What kind of mileage for a diesel could I expect? This truck will be gone before 50k. Siverado, F250 or Suburban?
  • meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    The PICKUPS Conference has gotten WAY too big....

it is unwieldy to manage, and difficult to use for "newbies". There is entirely TOO much topic duplication, so I will be doing some SERIOUS topic consolidation in the next few weeks, getting us down to not more than 2-3 topics per vehicle type, and ultimately down to 200 topics or less.

THIS weeks consolidation candidates are: F-150's, Silverado's, Dakota's, and Dakota Crew/Quad cabs.

In that vein, please consolidate this Dakota Crew/Quad Cab topic to Dodge Dakota Crew Cab - II and continue these discussions there.

Thanks!

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
This discussion has been closed.