Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln LS: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• cob12cob12 Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased a 2000 LS v6 and it definitely has the drone... I guess the halfshafts need replaced if I am reading this right. (although I get the noise b/t 2200 and 2500 rmps in both 4th and 5th gear - little different than an earlier post I read).

Does anyone have an estimate of how much this should cost me?

Does this have to be a dealer fix or could I have another (less pricey) auto shop do it?

and one last... if I don't fix it, does it really cause any damage? or is it just an annoyance?
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    No damage, just noise, and any shop could do it. No idea on the cost.
  • widebody2widebody2 Member Posts: 2
    Hi guys, I just purchased an 04 ls v8 and the odometer or at least I think its the odometer only has enough spaces for 99,999.xx miles. It doesn't have enough digits to break 100k. A few people have been telling me that it must be some form of a trip because all digital odos can do 999,999.xx. I don't have a manual. I saw the 2 trip selections above the odo where it says miles. Was wondering what I am missing. Thanks alot.
    You can get a manual online here:
    https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/owners_manuals/default.asp

When you hit 100K, it drops the 2nd digit to the right of the decimal (100,000.0).
  • cob12cob12 Member Posts: 3
    This is a followup to #586 above... I am no longer 100% certain that I have the halfshaft drone... I have noticed that not only does it not happen at the rpm's noted in message 430, but it only happens once I have 'hovered' in that rpm range for a bit, not if I just accelerate through it - this leads me to believe that it only occurs when the torque converter locks up - so that shouldn't have anything to do with the half shafts should it?? just don't want to fix something that isn't a problem?!

Has anyone actually had the halfshaft fix done? Did it work? Price?
    Thanks.
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    It does only occur when the torque converter locks up. The RPM at which it occurs depends on whether the engine is an 8 or a 6. The 6 will occur at an RPM that is 8/6, or 1.33 x the 8 cylinder RPM.

The drone is the half shafts resonating with the firing impulses of the engine. When the converter is locked, there is a direct mechanical connection from engine to half shafts.
  • swickedswicked Member Posts: 2
    I have read the dreaded drone noise on the Licoln LS is from rear half shafts. Is there anywhere else besides a Linc. dealer that I can purchase them?
  • swickedswicked Member Posts: 2
    I am having same issue on my 2000 LS
    should I look at replacing the half shafts or torqu convertor

Also any alternative place of purcahse other then the Linc dealer?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,149
    A reporter from a large local newspaper would like to speak to consumers who have or had a Lincoln LS and really liked the vehicle. If you would to speak with the media, please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact info., city/state of residence no later than February 1, 2006.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• coryhatcoryhat Member Posts: 1
    Hello all.

I am looking at a 2001 Lincoln LS with 73K miles. Would anyone not recommend this purchase?

I don't want to buy it and within six months have to begin shelling out a lot of money for repairs or enhancements...

Please advise!!!!
  • mikels8mikels8 Member Posts: 2
    I HAVE A 2000 LS
    I HAVE A COOLING PROBLEM. MY FAN IS VERY LOUD WHEN THE CAR IS WARM. IT HOWLS ALMOST LIKE A CLUTCH FAN OR A FLEX FAN WOULD. I REPLACED THE FAN BUT IT DID NOT FIX THE PROBLEM. I ALSO HAVE TEMP SPIKES WHEN THE FAN IS LOUD(I THINK IT IS SLOWING DOWN) THIS PROBLEM STARTED AFTER THE DEALER REPLACED THE VALVE COVER GASKETS. I TOLD THEM ABOUT MY PROBLEM BUT I WOULD HAVE TO PAY THEM TO CHECK IT OUT.
    DOES ANY ONE KNOW WHERE I CAN GO TO FIND OUT HOW THE COOLING SYSTEM WORKS ON THIS CAR, LIKE WHAT RELAYS & SENSORS MAKE THIS FAN WORK.. THIS CAR HAS 60 THOUSAND ON IT AND IS A V 8... SHOULD I CHANGE THE STAT WITH THE MILES I HAVE??? ADVICE ANYONE
  • geebee1geebee1 Member Posts: 5
    My 2000 LS Sport had a parking lot accident and the rear bumper cover got cracked. Searching the internet, I found that bumpers.com had painted replacements at a reasonable price. My questions are: Anyone have experience with bumpers.coms? and is this a job that an "average joe" can accomplish?
    Most of the 2000 problems were fixed with the 2001s. The only major thing I can think of is to check the valve cover gaskets. They can leak and kill the COPs (coil on plug) which can get expensive. Other than that most of the problems are minor (few hundred bucks at most).
    I know several who have bought from them with no complaints. I think you can put it on with hand tools.
  • amilfamilf Member Posts: 3
    How change Headlamp Assembly, Right (Passenger Side)
  • chrisannrchrisannr Member Posts: 2
    my mechanic says that the torque converter is making an unusual noise at low rpm's on my 2000 ls v8. says it needs to be replaced. what will happen if i don't replace it? is a noise normal? will synthetic supplements help?
  • coolbreze4coolbreze4 Member Posts: 7
    Hi. I have that same burning smell that everyone is talking about in my 01 ls v8 and recently just started seeing smoke from engine bay. Thanks to all you guys and this forum i know the problem is the valve cover gaskets. I was just wondering if anybody has any easy ways or short cuts on changing them. And how long would it take> Thanks
    No short cuts. Several hours with a lot of sockets and swivels and extensions.
  • coolbreze4coolbreze4 Member Posts: 7
    Great thanks. Any major components I have to remove to access them any easier?
  • 2000mtx2000mtx Member Posts: 10
    Sorry. forgot my account.
    The noises I'm hearing are from the hydraulic fan or that system. Check the owners manual under the cooling system or for the hydraulic fan and you'll see it requires power steering fluid in it's own reservoir.

Still, I don't know exctly what is making that noise. Luckily, this winter, I haven't had any noise problems since filling thate reservior.
    No Idea on the smell. Mine has recently started doing that as well. Mine seems like it's coming from under the hood and seeping through vents.

My interior constantly smells like ASHES. From the San Diego fires of a few years ago. The A/C pushes that smell into the car and I can't get rid of it. Already changed the cabin filter to no avail.
    goodl uck
    Yep. Thats it.
    Just trying to differentiate between the
    1) power steering and the power steering fluid reservoir
    2) Hydraulic fan and the "power steeering fluid" reservoir
    Thansk
    Alas, I don't have heated seats.

Tips?

Catch 22
    1) Maintenance, Maintenance, Maintenance! Keep up on it.
    2) If the car runs great, what to do? My car was returned running worse after maintenance (twice).

List of problems I've had:
    a) Car wash attendants inadvertantly ripping the wires off my rear window defroster with their towels when cleaning the rear window.

b) Air box not being properly assembled after oil changes/maintenance. Causes "howling" to eminate from under the hood.

c) Excessive Power Steering "howling" in cold weather (mid-west cold)

d) Electrical problems with radio

e) Buy a spare set of lug nuts or replace the factory lug nuts. One seems to "crush" everytime I get tire/alignment work done.

f) At 75,000 my suspension feels worn out. At 82,000 miles, my right front suspension rattles and CLUNKS at any hint of a bump. Hope it's not coming apart.

g) I love this car. Just wish it came with the combination of manual transmission and more HP.
    Good luck
    Mine made the same noise. Try checking the fluid reservoir for the hydraulic fan/cooling system. It takes power steering fluid.

I know, I know....weird.
  • dkopfdkopf Member Posts: 1
    My wife has an '04 LS and has had trouble with a few things-wondering if anyone else has same. Last night she was out of town over night and called me to say she had smelled smoke from rear of car and my son who was with her at the time checked around and found that the right rear brake was hot enough to burn his fingers when touched.They left it cool down awhile and then drove several miles to son's home and took it to a dealer this morning.At last report the dealers mechanics had found nothing wrong with brakes after 10-12 mile drive.Another problem has been that the car seems to lurch or backoff some when you hit a bump at 50+ mph-does with cruise contol on and off, but not all the time.Also the steering wheel has a squeak-but not all the time and never when she takes to the dealer.One last item-the paint(black) is peeling off the bumpers.Car is still under warranty. Any comment or similar situations-solutions appreciated. :lemon: ???????
  • trey2000trey2000 Member Posts: 2
    im new here. how do i post a question about my ls. im having major problems
  • nstarksnstarks Member Posts: 1
    I'm new to this site but am finding out good information. My front headlight is also fogging up. Could you inform me of how much it costed you to have the assembly replaced? If it wasn't under warranty, of course. What exactly does a seal failure mean? Hopefully this is nothing major or too expensive. Thanks for the feedback.
  • chrisannrchrisannr Member Posts: 2
    Be sure to ask if the coils have been replaced.(they sit on top of the spark plugs)...mine went out slowly between 65K to 70K...they are $100 each to replace.
  • ldonldon Member Posts: 5
    It's easy. Just think of a hydraulic pump operating in reverse, and you have a hydraulic motor.
    I had the same problem with my LS and there is a TSB out on it to replace the half shafts on the drive axle. Have your dealer check the TSB's. It corrected my noise.
  • ssgowanssgowan Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 LS it has a droan like noise coming from somewhere in my car. Back in 2005 they replaced the rear bearings because of a noise but this is a different type. They replaced my left rear bearing & both rear axles parts last week. Still the same noise. They had an engineer come in & look at the car & told me that it was a normal sound & the noise was not out of their specs. The noise is worse. When I'm going down the road & I go in to a curve to the left the noise lowers, but going straight or a curve to the right it gets louder & the faster I go it gets worse. Help!!! I need to know if there is another car like mine out there or what my problem is because my lincoln dearlership will not try to figure it out.
    Sounds like a wheel bearing or half shaft. Take it to another dealer if the first one can't figure it out.
  • canderson1canderson1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 LS V8 Sport and use the SST shift option almost everyday. When this model year was produced it was impossible to downshift into 1st gear when stopped. I believe I read somewhere that in later years the gearbox was re-programmed to allow shifting into 1st gear when stopped.

My question is... does anyone know if it is possible to have the dealer (or some third party) re-program the gearbox or main CPU to allow this function in the 2000 LS?
    Absolutely not. The 2003+ models use an entirely different PCM (not to mention a different engine with VCT and electronic throttle control and a different type of tranny) and the code isn't backwards compatible.
  • canderson1canderson1 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the answer. Just wishful thinking I guess.
  • gkarggkarg Member Posts: 230
    I have an 2000 V6 with SST and it IS possible to start out in 1st - but you have to trick the car and the lower power of the V6 makes it pretty easy. All you have to do is very quickly tap the trottle to at least 60% and it will display and stay in 1st for so many programmed seconds (not sure how long, but it is not real long.) I would recommend holding the brakes for the V8 to see if it works for you. Once you do that - it will allow you to downshift into first and RESTART - so long as you don't come to a complete stop for more than XXX # of seconds.

It works even if you are started and in second - all you need is at least 60% or more throttle to force a downshift to first.
    I have no lights in my console under the shift selector. Anybody know how to get access to the bulb/bulbs?
    I had a droning in 5th gear between 60 and 65mph. My dealer replaced the half shafts under my extended warranty so I don't know the cost, but it fixed the problem. There is a TSB on it but I don't know the number.
  • acalaracalar Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased a super clean 2000 LS. Everything seems great except a banging noise when I hit bumps. The car has 93,000 Miles on it. The headlight covers look cloudy. Will I have to replace them or is there a product that will make them clear again?
    Thanks for ANY help re: these problems.
    Sway bar bushings.

The headlights can be heated in a low oven until the glue gets soft, then you can take it apart, clean it and reheat/reseal it. The seal isn't right and it lets in water., typically on the passenger side.
    Otherwise just buy a new one.
  • slapshot1slapshot1 Member Posts: 4
    Recently purchased a 2000 ls v6 56K miles. It is now back in the shop again for the third time for transmission work. When I put the car in reverse or drive sometimes makes a banging noise as well as when I stop and put the car in park it does the same thing. The car did it when I first took it home, the dealer has since put all new solenoids in the transmission as well as some new software for the CPU. Does anyone else have this problem with their tranny or is a normal thing. At the dealer yesterday took a 2004 for a spin and it did the same thing.
  • aiutoaiuto Member Posts: 46
    I received a message stating "check right brake light". When I popped the trunk it appears that the brake light is using all functions except the brake. I can't seem to get at the brake light w/o taking off some pieces of metal. IS this correct or is there an easier way? Could it be a fuse?

Thx
    Answered in the main LS topic.
  • heyjewelheyjewel Member Posts: 1,046
    Someone else mentioned a front end clunking noise. My '01 at 71K miles has also developed a clunking. Actually, this is the 2nd time it's been clunking, first was 2 years ago and the "replaced broken sway bar links". This time the sway bar is "loose" and the fix is recommended by TSB (don't know the number at this time) which is to *replace* the sway bar, the bushings and the brackets. Appx $130 for parts, $600 or more for labor.
  • heyjewelheyjewel Member Posts: 1,046
    I need to replace the brakes on my LS. Going to do it myself. I've read about a special tool that is necessary when working with the calipers on the LS. Does anyone have info on what this tool is?? Where I might get it?? Thanks
    George - get the one at NAPA. It costs more but fits far better than the generic ones at pep boys or autozone. It's only needed on the rear calipers - you have to turn the pistons as you press them back into place to make room for the new pads because of the parking brake ratchet assembly in the caliper.

Hint: remove the caliper, caliper bracket and rotor. reinstall the caliper bracket without the rotor and reinstall the caliper without the pads. That will hold the caliper while you use the tool and a ratchet to push on the piston while turning to retract it.
  • boccaciniboccacini Member Posts: 2
    I have no answers for you but I can sympathize. My lincoln 2000 ls did this twice to me with only 35,000 miles, and just as mysteriously as it appeared, presto, it disappeared. It now has 45,000 miles and has not accured since.
  • boccaciniboccacini Member Posts: 2
    does any know if the engine indicator lights on the instrument panel at 45,000 miles on the lincoln ls
    If you mean a light that comes on telling you to service the vehicle (as opposed to a Check Engine Light indicating a malfunction) - no.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    Automatic transmission issues.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
This discussion has been closed.