Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Element Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• zmanzman Member Posts: 200
    I'm trying to deal on an '04 4WD EX-5 speed w/side air bags in the NY/CT area. Anyone have any recent experiences in this region?

Figure5 (post #187) got the exact same vehicle (black instead of my blue) for $19,080 in Michigan. My dealer is looking for $20,300 (before destination!), which kinda irritates me, but I've called around; there aren't many 5-speeds to be found.
  • purduealum91purduealum91 Member Posts: 285
    I live in the chicago area right now (have family in nj). I had to settle for black if I wanted a 5 speed with side air. No one has them around here. 5 speeds are hard to find. Having side air is even more difficult.
  • prolnickprolnick Member Posts: 4
    Northern Westchester County, NY: Just bought an EX AWD, manual transmission, roof rack and cargo net. No side air bags. Paid $18,975 including destination. Totally sold out of hybrids in this area, but I think the Elements aren't selling and they are overstocked.
  • zmanzman Member Posts: 200
    Congratulations. Did you get it at either Curry or Brewster? I've been calling around since I posted, and they both seem ready to deal. Brewster even has three on the lot.

Zman
    a dealer in the western suburbs of chicago. Prolnick, thats a hell of a deal. Which color?
    Curry. Tried to get Mt Kisco to match or beat it but they wouldn't. Got an e-mailed quote of about 19.1K for the same car from Honda of Nanuet.
    Sunset orange - seems like that's not a popular color, at least in my area. Maybe that helped with the price.
  • dal1222dal1222 Member Posts: 4
    I am trying to negotiate on an '04 Element EX Auto no side airbags. It doesn't seem that the dealers here in Texas want to go below invoice. Others I see on here seem to be getting under invoice. Any thoughts?
    ask them for their best price below invlice including destination.
  • cindypsychcindypsych Member Posts: 1
    I am talking to a dealer in Suffolk County, NY. I am trying to keep the price down and he has a new 2003 4WD DX model which he is pricing at 16,995 including a CD player and air conditioning. I forgot to ask him about keyless entry and alarm so I'll have to add those on, too. Do you think this is a good deal? Any suggestions or things to be aware of or be careful of?
  • dal1222dal1222 Member Posts: 4
    Well just got home from purchasing an 04 Element EX Automatic, No Side airbags.

$18,195 + 6.25% TX sales tax and $200 fees. Overall a great experience,
    the deal of the century
  • lightnglkrlightnglkr Member Posts: 1
    has anyone purchased an 2004-05 EX 4WD with cash lately? I'm in the DFW area. I need to know how much to ask. Thanks.
  • mikegmikeg Member Posts: 2
    has anyone purchased an 2004 LX FWD at Atlanta, GA area lately? I've got an offer $16,800. Is this price OK. Thanks a lot.
  • mikegmikeg Member Posts: 2
    sounds like you have got great deal. Can I ask you where in Atlanta did you get it? Thanks
  • alize2004alize2004 Member Posts: 9
    I offered to pay $21,500 for a 2004 Element EX w/side airbags. The dealer is in Charlotte, NC.

In return, I would like to get at least $19,000 for my trade in (2000 4Runner w/ very low miles, 4WD, loaded - everything except for leather)

I'm fine w/ the financing.
    Should I go lower on the sticker price of the Element if they meet my trade in price?
  • ztorinztorin Member Posts: 48
    You might be able to go much lower. I paid $19,500 for mine (2004 EX-S/SOP/AWD) in the Boston area, with NO trade. I don't know what the market is like down in NC however.
  • bshelbshel Member Posts: 232
    is that an SR5 or a Limited 4Runner you are trading? That seems like a lot for a 2000 on the trade-in side.

Let us know how the deal goes on the Element.
    It's an SR5. It has all of the Limited options/accessories except for leather seats and the same color molding.
  • bobbomebobbome Member Posts: 2
    I'm interested in purchasing a brand new Element. I'm not sure whether to get the AWD or the FWD model. I have a Subaru Impreza that has all time AWD and I feel very safe driving the car in any kind of inclement weather. We don't have snow storms here in South FL but we do have plenty of rain. My concern is that the AWD robs some power from the 4 cyl engine and uses up more gas. One last thing, has anyone heard that the plastic side panels fade badly with time? Any advice would be appreciated.
    The Element system is "Real-Time 4WD" meaning the system is Front Wheel Drive all of the time, until the system senses that the front tires are spinning/slipping faster than the rear. At that point, the system will engage into 4WD until the slippage is no longer evident. This will also save on gas as it's not a full-time 4WD system. Regarding the plastic panels, I don't believe enough time has elapsed since the first Elements came off the line to tell if there will be fading. I have read all of the Edmunds posts along with all of the ElementOwnersClub.com and hondaelement.org posts, and I don't believe I've seen anyone with a fading issue. Good Luck!!!
  • bobbomebobbome Member Posts: 2
    Thanks ztorin. I was under the impression that the Element was full time 4WD. I know it doesn't get as good gas mileage as the FWD. I guess that is because of the added weight and not because the transmission is always engaged.
    I came from a 97 outback sport that got me through anything! Honda's system is definitely below Subarus system. Im only driving an element dues to its utility.
    I bought my Honda Element today. I got it for 20K and they gave me a good deal on my trade-in. They also made my financing more simple by matching my VERY LOW interest rate w/ my credit union. I'm happy w/ my purchase even though I didn't get the one w/ side airbags.
  • joeskijoeski Member Posts: 1
    I just picked up my Element from Sussex Honda in NJ. I got it for 19,328 + tax & tags. It is an EX, AWD, 5Sp w/Side Airbags in Sunset Orange Pearl. I am happy with the price.
  • srs45srs45 Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 2004 LX AWD automatic in Sunset Orange Pearl for $17,900. I love it!!!!!
  • calbearscalbears Member Posts: 3
    I have not had any luck getting offers for an 04 EX-S AT 4WD at the 19500-19700 price this board have been quoting. Would anyone be kind enough to point me at the right direction?
  • katabatickatabatic Member Posts: 1
    I just picked up an orange 04 Ex-AT AWD at Diamond Bar Honda for 19450 +tax, lic, and handling. After trying to negotiate with other dealers who would not drop below 20,000, I felt this was a good deal for my area. Just drove it 130 miles yesterday, and had a smile the whole way.
  • mlblaskomlblasko Member Posts: 1
    2004 Element EX AWD Auto w/o side front airbags
    Price: $19,450 + Tax/license, APR 1.9%, Trade-in: $7,000

1. Do TONS of Internet research before and during negotiations
    2. BEWARE! Trade-in is where they will get you if you are not careful.
    3. When you have decided exactly what you are willing to pay and how much you are willing to trade, bring printed documentation (from Internet) backing up your "demands"
    4. I had quotes from Internet managers from 5 dealerships. I only went to 2 in-person. I refused to sign-a contract after negotiations started (I want to sleep on it)...instead I did MORE research to de-bunk their claims during negotiating (dest fees, the value of my CRV, a lower quote from a competing dealership). I went in the next morning and said "These are my numbers, take it or leave it" They gave me everything except $1000 lower on my trade-in BUT my CRV easily needed $1000 work so...I took it.
  • emarkvemarkv Member Posts: 1
    Hi ALL-
    I am considering purchase of a 2004 Honda Element EX with 5 speed manual transmission and front wheel drive. Honda dealer in San Antonio, Texas quoted me a price of $18,300 (includes destination charge) and 3.9 percent loan from Honda financing.
    Is $18,300 price a good deal for this car? Any feedback is appreciated. :+)
    Thanks.
    --emarkv
  • srs45srs45 Member Posts: 3
    Invoice plus $490 destination charge for that vehicle is $17,953. I would offer $17,553 ($400 below invoice)plus tax and registration. The 2005 Elements will be out in August, so this is a fair price. Plus, I believe there is a $400 manufacturer to dealer incentive.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I'm sure is well intensioned but it may not buy you an Element.

The prevailing market on these in your area will always determine prices.
  • tonyctonyc Member Posts: 1
    Recently Lanier Honda quoted me $16800 for a 04 LX FWD. Don't know the TT/L.
  • wiggywiggy Member Posts: 1
    I think you can get lower. I paid $18,000 for the 2004 Element EX, FWD, automatic transmission, no side airbags and no add-ons. With TT/L included I drove off the lot at just under $19,700. Shop it around a little, especially at the end of the month. I bought mine in Houston on the last day of June.
    Take Care & Have Fun!
  • brads20brads20 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 4WD EX w/side airbags for 21k at Power Honda in Costa Mesa. Included in the price was side step, roof rack, fog lights, lojack, alarm and 7 yr/100k Honda care warranty. I would recommend this dealership 100%.
  • ellamintellamint Member Posts: 2
    I've seen a lot of people posting that they got their cars below invoice. I just got mine for $500 below invoice too! (EX 4wd 5-sp for 18,210 plus destination charges & tax) Now, I'm not complaining, but I always thought that invoice was the price that the dealers bought the car for - can anyone explain?

Btw - I used Edmunds free quote service to get this price. I filled out the short form with the car I was looking for and within 24 hours had quotes (2 below invoice, one matching invoice) from 6 nearby dealers in my inbox. Simply AMAZING!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Dealers can make money selling below invoice because of holdback.

Additionally there's marketing support and dealer cash and other programs that we'll never learn about. Often the sales people don't even know what incentives the dealership owner is getting - they may just get told to push Elements out the door this week, and maybe that helps the dealer meet a quota or qualify the dealer for more CR-V inventory.

Congrats on the new ride!

Steve, Host
  • ellamintellamint Member Posts: 2
    Thanks so much for the explanation Steve. Very informative!
  • deepdropdeepdrop Member Posts: 89
    I guess there is significant regional price difference. I just moved to rural NH and the dealers in the area are more difficult than any I've ever dealt with. I'm planning to buy a "04 EX AWD auto w/ side bags. The lowest I've been able to get is 20,500. This is kind of frustrating since apparently people in CA are getting the same car for $1000 less. At this point, at the end of the model year, you'd think they would offer some great deals. I think I'll wait for the "05's.
    How far up in NH are you? I got mine ('04 EX w/Sides, Auto, AWD, SOP) for $19,500 plus dest. at Atamian in Lowell, MA. Didn't even have to haggle at all, that was their initial price right off the bat. No one else could touch it. It was BRAND new too, only had like 12 miles on it, and 4 of them were mine from my 2 test drives.
  • deepdropdeepdrop Member Posts: 89
    I'm in Lebanon. Just moved here a few weeks ago so I don't know the area well but I did a search on the Honda site and called all the dealers within an hour or two. They were really tough. I finally told them that for 20,400 I'd rather wait and see if the "05's offered side curtain air bags. I would have thought they'd be offering great deals on the "04's since it's the end of the model year.

Does anyone know if there is a fairly accurate date for the "05's to be introduced?
  • yvesyves Member Posts: 1
    I got an offer for a new EX w/o air bags, auto for $20,483 from my credit union's auto service. I live in the Atlanta area and I'm not sure what people are paying around here. Edmunds TMV is $20,429 so it doesn't seem that bad to me. The credit union brings the vehicle to me and I get to test drive and check it out before I decide wether or not I want that particular vehicle.

Let me know what you guys think. Should I shop around this price to dealers or does this sound reasonable?
  • elementaryoneelementaryone Member Posts: 1
    Online quotes in the Greater Cincinnati area are running at or just above invoice, as recently listed by Edmunds (including destination), with a good selection of models & colors to choose from. We picked up an EXS last weekend - it's been miles of smiles ever since!
  • xchangerxchanger Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a Honda Element LX FWD 5M in Tampa for $16878. No hassle, great experience. No silly add-on features or dealer installed nonsense, no sales push, exactly what I wanted.

Waht do you guys think? A fair deal?
  • holystrengthholystrength Member Posts: 1
    hey im planning on buying a Honda Element EX 2WD with side airbags. I went to the dealer couple months back to see what kind of price i could get, and lowest he would go was 20300, this is in Alhambra, CA in socal if anyone knows where that is. i was wondering what some of the terms meant such as SOP, EX-S,and TT/L. i was also wondering if anyone got their car for cheaper in this area.
  • turtle2turtle2 Member Posts: 2
    So, we go to buy an Element EX, auto, 2WD w. sideairbags in west bloomfield, Michigan. We ask for internet quotes through Edmunds and only dealership writes back. So I go back and forth, and I have it in my mind I am going to buy this car for 18,500 - their "best" pricethey say is 18,900. We go to the dealership and ask the manager for another 400 or to throw in some extras. He BARKS yelling "no, not another dime less and no extras". we leave. Back home, the internet department has sent us an e-mail for 18,500inluding destination charge. So we go back. They are not happy but do honor the offer. Then it took 2WEEKS to get the car (in sunset orange) and when it finally arrived it didn't have the sideairbags which the offer clearly stated. We called them on it AND THEY REFUSED to get another car that matched the description of the offer. I took some time to think about it and finally accepted it. My question, what could I have done? Did I have any options? Did I get a good deal?
    Bottom line EX, auto, 2WD for 18,500+TTL. I do love it - probably a little too much because I am at the gasstation every other day...
  • chulwoochulwoo Member Posts: 11
    Hi,

I just put down deposit for silver LX 2WD for $17,300 from atlantic honda (Bay shore, long island, NY), including destination.
    They did say it might take some time to "locate" the vehicle. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, since my last purchase has gone bad since they "lost" the car somehow on the way
    and I ended up buying a different vehicle.
    Has anybody had a similar experience?
  • lalagimplalagimp Member Posts: 61
    Why did you cave and deal with them in the first place. I didn't do my quotes by edmunds. I went to the individual dealship webpages and did my own quote hunting to see how people would barter.
    They were jerks to you in the first place in the tone they were using. I had a dealership treat me as such and even though their internet departement quoted me better than the guys on the floor, I did not go back there.
    They didn't give you what you say you ordered then do not purchase it.
    Find out what your time is to take it back and consider that and screw them as an option.
    They shouldn't profit on you by delivering you nothing but attitude, and that's not what you ordered.
    I had my range and options and everything all planned out with my dealer costs, destination, tags and taxes all figured out. I left the attitude dealership I first went into and walked out when they said they weren't my personal Santa Clause (day before Christmas eve shopping)
    I went over to dealership number 2 and showed them my sheet with everything I wanted for ONE FLAT COST, installation and dmv fees and all. He didn't give me attitude and realistically he told me hed meet me within $500 of what was my high price intended to pay. I got what I wanted right there and they had a selection. I went the day after christmas and got my options and accessories installed.

You have other options. There are always other people to serve you. Go through your yellow pages and find out everything dealership within an hour of your home. Find their website and request a quote. You can tell in their responses even, which ones might be more willing to bend because of their turnover in customers.
    You can also get the fax number to their Fleet Manager and tell them exactly what you want.
    No one should bend over for the dealership.
    I bought my first car by myself, my Element, and only took my husband along for an intimidating edge. I did all the talking and the research and I was the one that walked on the first dealership and told them someone else would be willing to at least look like they are meeting me.
  • chulwoochulwoo Member Posts: 11
    Well, they could not locate the vehicle, so I ended up with silver 4WD Ex Auto at 192 + TTL. Apparently some dealers in metro NY area are anxious to move 4WD EX's, since I had a similar internet quote from another dealer.
    (hope there isn't any known problem with auto 4WD EX. Is there?)
    I'll post first impressions & such at the element column.
  • lgroseslgroses Member Posts: 2
    I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. I am pricing the 2004 Honda Element LX AWD with an automatic transmission. The lowest price quoted to me so far is $17,522.00, including destination fee. (Invoice is $18,322.00.) Dealer financing has been offered at 2.90%. Can I do any better than this? Should I wait, perhaps, another month or two?

Please reply with any comments and/or suggestions.

Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.