Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Element Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• mickjazzmickjazz Member Posts: 21
    wow that is a great price.

the best internet offer or buyer program offer i've had on the west coast is 21,500 with no accessories at all and before any taxes,and tags for the same vehicle or $400 over invoice and dest. ch.

the dealers on the west coast are just not that hungry i guess.

mike
  • lumbarlumbar Member Posts: 421
    How do you figure $1150 under invoice? As I read the posts, this is a brand new color that just came out on an '05. I'm somewhat skeptical the dealer would lose money on it.
  • tigergod2ktigergod2k Member Posts: 6
    I just got my new car, 2005 Honda Element EX 4WD Automatic (Side Air Bags and with all standard equipment). The price Dealer asked was 21,000.00, which includes NYC sales taxes and $515 destination fee. I figured the final price payed came out to be about $1660 under invoice, which I think is great. I called a few other local dealers they couldn't even match the price.
    I'm not surprised they wouldn't match the price. Very few, if any, dealers are in business to -lose- money on transactions. There must be some double super-secret incentives on the vehicle.

Reminds me of the old joke, "We're selling units at a loss, but making it up in volume."
    i agree

i've had 7 internet and buyers club offers in the past week for this same model in the pac nw and sw and the range was 21084 to 21900 for the car with no access but including the 515 dest charge. this is before any taxes state fees, etc. i haven't found a west coast dealer willing to go $1 below invoice and no deal sweeteners. i think the demand is fairly high for the car and they don't feel a need to go any lower. maybe the car is not so popular in the eastern states.

m
  • baker5baker5 Member Posts: 7
    Westbrook Honda here in CT. Offered me 20,496(includes destination fee) for EX AWD s/t. Is this good?
    I also shopped around for a 2004 Honda Element EX 4WD Automatic (Side Air Bags and with all standard equipment). The price Dealer asked was $20,000.00, which includes NYC sales taxes,$490 destination fee and plates\registration fees also. I figured the final price payed came out to be about $2190 under invoice, which I think is even better then 2005. But since this car is a year older, it's already lost value buy $2000 or $3000. I think it pays to overpay a grand for 05 model.
    I guess here in NY metro area dealers go cheaper. I called at least 4-5 dealers before got these prices.
    If you don't mind, I'm still curious about your deal. I think you said a couple of posts above that you got basically the top of the line new (05) Element (EX, auto, 4 WD) for 21,000K, which included NY tax and destination. The MSRP of this vehicle is about 22,240, including destination, but no tax, so I'm guessing that you meant you got it for $1,600 under MSRP, not $1,600 under invoice. I could not see any way that a dealer could sell a brand new '05 for that amount under invoice. I would think that these probably should go for about half-way between invoice and MSRP, depending on the market and any additional dealer fees for "documentation," so your price still looks good.
  • baker5baker5 Member Posts: 7
    05' EX AWD s/t for 20,496 with destination charge included. Is this decent?? It seems it from all the previous posts.
  • rallyegirlrallyegirl Member Posts: 7
    It's all relevent.....I personally had to be very careful of what I paid....money is very dear. I am into doing research and not being taken advantage of.....being a woman its not easy but it certainly can be done. Just be prepared! I didn't think that I could be realistic because I wanted the darn car so bad.....I just love how different it is, once I saw it in the showroom I melted, just as I've heard others say..."it was me!" Believe it, I have waited since June....I couldn't get what I thought was fair so I waited, until the right time. This really didn't work because I couldn't settle for a good deal if it meant any other color but that Rallye Red....oh Brother, it is vibrant...woooooooo. I did my deal at the beginning of the month but the dealer knew I had my money and would be driving by and waiving ( and I was, I bought it further away.) I am so very happy, the steps and mud guards went on today along with the fogs, (so very cool) what an awesome vehicle. I got a red Hawiian print steering wheel cover and will be having her name painted on soon. Maybe "very cherry" or "E=Big Red Square" Red E, Miss E, E-Lated, oh my list goes on and on. A few bucks here or there, as long as you get what you want....they need to make a living too....come to a compromise. A friend advised me not to lose my car for a few hundred bucks. Wise man, however, his hair curled at what a great deal I got! I made him proud. Element owners...you are great and special people. Give us a little toot when you see us will ya?
    hi

do you mind giving me the name of the dealer where you purchased your car. even with shipping to the west coast, i think it may be cheaper than the quotes i have received.

thx

m
    Yes I mean $1660 under invoice not MSRP.

here how I figure it.

I payed $21,000.00 - $515.00 (destination)=$20,485.00

Next $20,485.00 price includes tax also so to calculate total before tax I divide by 108.25%(8.25 NY tax) = $189.23 and to get a total car price I multiply by 100%, = 18,924.00(total price)

Since the invoice price of the car is 20,584.00 I subtract 18,924.00 from it to get price payed under invoice = $1660.00

I know it is a very good price, I bought the car before it even came in. They told me they have one grey coming in and I said I'll take it.

I can give you the dealership, but don't know if they'll give you the same or better price. I called them with a price in mind, after that I came in and said that the person who I spoke to on the phone gave me this price and made salesperson run many times to the manager to get it. The only thing I didn't get as discussed on the phone, was that I had to pay for registration and plates.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    If you feel you had a good overall experience, please post the dealership name! While members may not be able to get the same price, it's nice to have the name of a dealership where the buying experience is pleasant.

kirstie_h

Roving Host

Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

You got a GREAT price! if you can share the name of the dealership, i would appreciate it. don't know if they'll do it twice but it doesn't hurt to ask.

thx

mike
    Agreed--it would be nice to know the name of this dealership. If they're actually selling brand new '05's at a loss of $1,000 (even assuming a 3% holdback, which may not be correct), they may not be around too long :)
    tiger

are you still around??

yes, if you can provide the name of the dealer it would be nice. we're waiting breathlessly...

thx

mike
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    There could have been an error in those numbers because they made no sense at all.

This happens here sometimes.
    As I said, I'll need your name because I have to call and tell them you are going to call so they'll give you a good deal too.
    Now *that's* a new one. And here I thought it was standard practice on the "prices paid" boards to simply provide the name of the dealer.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Yes, that's correct - no posting of names or "tell them Bob sent you" in the forums. It simply encourages heavy solicitation in the boards which derails the discussion.

Please don't ask for any names.

kirstie_h

Roving Host

Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Now *that's* a new one.

No, it's not new. The conspicuous message highlighted in red just above the text entry box where you have composed messages has been there for essentially as long the Prices Paid boards have existed.

tidester, host
    With all respect, did I say any different?

I'm interested in the name of this dealer as well.
  • mccannrmccannr Member Posts: 13
    I've been using the "free price quotes" service available on the internet. Problem is I NEVER get a price quote, only an invitation to come on down to the dealership and make a deal. Is this a conspiricy, is it my rural zip code and lack of options,or is this a scam?
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    It stinks when they do that. I had that happen on a number of mine and emailed back "no thanks -if I wanted to come down and talk I would do so...I want a quote in email to see if it is even worth the drive. If you can't do that, you don't deserve my business at any price." Almost all responded to that.
  • beakerbeaker Member Posts: 5
    I have been offered a $20,000 out the door price for a 2005 2WD EX AUTOMATIC, NO OPTIONS, Red color. The price includes tax, tags, doc. fees. Does anyone know if I can do better in South Carolina?
  • travstertravster Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

Can anyone help me with some pricing info on the Element? I would like to buy an 05 or a new 04,

basic LX or EX. I'm not too interested in adding options, all I need is an automatic.

I have done some reasearch on CarsDirect and Edmunds but I'm curios if anyone has seen better deals. I don't want to spend more than

$17,500 - $18,000 - plus tax & tag. Would it be better to shop in South Florida or Central Florida? THANK YOU!!!
  • bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    Just got a quote on a 2004 EX AWD with side airbags and a 5-speed. I was told out the door for 20,610. The email i go says the price then says assuming no trade in??? Are they telling me ill have to pay more if i trade something in??? Still thinking about trading in my 2001 Silverado 4x4 on it.
    I got cheaper price for 2004 EX AWD with Automatic. The best price out the door I got was 20,000.00. It is a very good price but I called them 2-3 week ago and don't know if they have any cars left. At the time I called they had 3 colors (Black, Silver and Skin Color)
  • bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    That is very good...only problem i have is i dont want an auto. I have this thing for stick shifts, i think they are more fun to drive.
  • travstertravster Member Posts: 2
    Just bought it for 19,000 + tax & tag.

Does anyone know of sites where I can order accessories for it cheaper than going through the dealer?
    Click on the H&A advertisement above the title of the discussion. Genuine accessories, less than the dealer.
  • larry_z3larry_z3 Member Posts: 2
    Cincinnati:

We just bought a red AWD EX manual (including floor mats) for $20,000 (even) before tax & fees (7%, $130). Cash.

We had a choice of colours and almost took the blue one instead. (In our extended tri-state area, there were 7 reds and 1 blue.)

The internet pricing quotes for Cincinnati ran from 20,370 to 20,780 (no tax, no fees, no floor mats). We wanted the floor mats because of the reported road noise problem. (MSRP: 21,440 + 146 for mats)

It appeared that there were 3-8 Elements/dealer with most being automatic transmission. Hint: It is pretty straight forward to use the Honda.com to discover the dealer inventories in your local area.
  • igormigorm Member Posts: 3
    I got quote for LX 2 WD in Jacksonville 16700 plus tax and tag and fees. Eventually I paid 19185 out the door ( I added roof rack $328 and mud guards $160 installed). I used Edmunds service to get quotes from different dealers: one sent me MSRP (18265), another one 17800, and this one was the best. Probably, too much for their fees, but ...
  • buddodobuddodo Member Posts: 4
    I love my Element! It is Fiji Blue and beautiful. I am a tall guy, 6'2 and I needed something that was large and had decent fuel economy. This was my first buying experience with a car and it was very interesting. Everyone is usually happy when buying a new car, but I had to "haggle" with 2 dealerships which made my first experience very stress. Now that I have mine thought it was worth it. I got it below sticker at 19,690. The dealership did not make a profit on it. I only have one complaint though.. Honda on the 2006 and beyond models, please add automatic headlights. I am already looking into getting something like this installed on my '05. This should be a no brainer for all car companies! Also I had to purchase a locking gas cap to protect the fuel. You all may want to add a key entry tank or one that opens from the interior of the vehicle. Other than that... GREAT SUV!
    Please "share" your information here - You may include the dealership name, city and state in your post. Please do not post names of salespeople, telephone numbers, email addresses, or other contact information.

Please do not ask people to email you privately and post your email address in the discussions. The general membership doesn't benefit from that.
  • sean7sean7 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if there will be any March incentives on the 2005 Element?
  • sean7sean7 Member Posts: 2
    New program is:

1.9% super preferred
    2.9% preferred
    3.9% regular

up to 60 months purchase.
  • autoextcabautoextcab Member Posts: 2
    my local dealer here in nj has a very low miles 'leftover' 04 awd ex. it is certified used and has 500 miles. their story is that they had it driven in from another dealer, and the customer that ordered it changed his mind. does anyone else thinks this sounds suspicious? i thought they transported new cars by freight.
  • cal_14cal_14 Member Posts: 1
    It must depend on where you live. When I was shopping for my 2003 Accord, I e-mailed about 6 dealerships in Southern California. A couple did the "just come in and talk" deal, but the rest gave me a quote. Those that didn't give me a quote immediately lost my business.

One dealership actually had someone call me with a quote before I even realized I had an e-mail from them. I made an appointment with them for two o'clock that afternoon and when I arrived, they already had washed and detailed the car for me. I arrived at two and left with the new car at five.

Now, my wife and I are going to be buying an Element and we'll be going through the same process. The dealership where we got the Accord, though, will be getting the first shot at my business.
  • karolinekaroline Member Posts: 3
    Greetings! I've been e-shopping for a 2005 EX, AWD, manual transmission, no special options. The lowest price I have been able to find is $19,400 for the car, $21,073 out the door. Has anyone seen anything better than this? I live in the Northern San Francisco Bay Area, but will drive for a deal. Which brings me to a second (perhaps ignorant) question -- can I buy a car in another state and bring it to california if I can get a better deal in Reno, Oregon, etc? Many thanks for any comments, and to those enjoying their Elements -- hope to be joining you VERY soon!

Best Regards,
    Karoline
  • tugboatdaddytugboatdaddy Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I just purchased a 2005 EX AWD with auto trans for 21,085. + tax & license. This was in Seattle area, she loves the car. Also financing was @1.9%, great buying experience at West Hills Honda

Good luck, Tug
  • andyman1970andyman1970 Member Posts: 47
    Karoline, I too am shopping for a similar Element. Here's the best I've been working so far:

EX AWD - $20,817 which includes the dest charge of $515
    Armrest w/Storage
    Cargo Tray
    All Season Floor Mats
    Spash Guards
    Rear Bumper Guards
    Wheel Locks

This supposedly adds up to $825 in options.

I'm still searching, but hopefully this helps.

Andy
    Thanks to you both, Tug and Andy, I appreciate the helpful replies to my post.

Andy -- I don't what the dealer is charging you for the options, but I did a little research on Ebay yesterday. The $300.20 roof rack is going for $180 (new, OEM) on ebay, the $150 cargo cover is $92, the $129 splash guards are $60, and so on. (These are "buy it now" prices, not prices that may not go up before the auction closes.)

You may well have checked this out but I mention it just in case it might be helpful.

I've printed out the ebay ads for the couple of the options I decided I want, and am taking them to the dealer tomorrow. I'll report back on whether this helped lower his prices any!

Thanks again to you both,
    Karoline
    So far the best invoice price I've found is $19,785 plus $515, excluding the usual TTL. Options will be far and few between thanks to handa-accessories.com and their wonderful instruction manuals. Anyone seen a better invoice price recently?
    Hi Andyman.

I just put a deposit on that Element mentioned in my earlier post -- $19,400 for the car and destination charges, $21,073 out the door. Again, it was the EX, AWD, manual transmission. (I understand that the automatic transmission should come in at $800 more than the manual, if that helps.)

Didn't get any extra accessories, but then they're all on Ebay for a lot less than dealer price... I'm a happy camper -- good luck with your search!

Karoline
    (Northern California)
    Congratulations on the purchase and thanks for the info.
    Please do not post your email address in the messages. Search engines will pick it up and you will end up on spam lists. Also, no "email me" messages.
    My purchase price was $20,227.00 (includes the $515 dest charge) then add tax, title, and doc. They even threw in the mud guards for free.

Happy shopping!

Andy
  • rhody_marcorhody_marco Member Posts: 21
    I'm thinking about buying an 4WD Element. I've some questions...

When's the best time to purchase, price-wise ? A salesman at the local dealer says that they are at an end-of-the-month crunch, so they are willing to deal. Yet would it be better for me to wait until the '06s to come out to grab a leftover '05 ? Are rebates usually offered at this time ?

I've read here about poor rain and snow traction on the 2WD (thanks Footie). Is the 4WD a lot better, and has it a limited-slip differential ?

Thanks.

The daft one
This discussion has been closed.