Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Element Prices Paid and Buying Experience

SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
edited September 2014 in Honda
Have you recently bough or are you looking to buy a Honda Element? If so, what are the prices you are seeing at your area dealerships? What "deals" are there to be made?

Comments

• bigkahunaflbigkahunafl Member Posts: 128
    I am planning to buy an 04 in a few months and would like to hear from as many people as possible about their experiences with buying an Element and, of course, the price.

It doesn't have to be long, but anything would help.
  • sailoverfuelsailoverfuel Member Posts: 82
    $1,100 under MSRP with 3 years free oil changes. new jersey Area
  • flyaa1flyaa1 Member Posts: 1
    I bought an EX 2WD silver automatic last night at a Dallas dealer for $18,550 + tax and license which seems to be a pretty decent price. The MSRP was $19,910 including destination charge. The invoice is $18,431 including Destination charge. The dealer holdback is about $584 below invoice on this particular Element. I did 90% of the deal over the internet which eliminated the pain of spending hours at the dealership. The dealer attempted to sell the extended warrenty at the final closing so based on past dealings some things never change. It seems to be a really solid and fun truck and by the way I'm way past the target demographic for the Element. Anyone purchasing the Element should be very satisfied.
  • pena316pena316 Member Posts: 2
    I'm in Austin, TX, and am getting quotes at $19000 for an EX 2WD (with keyless entry and upgraded arm rest). No one has black, so they'd have to do a dealer trade. Sounds like the price isn't too far off.
  • purduealum91purduealum91 Member Posts: 285
    Grand Honda is advertising 4WD 5 speed EXs for $18600! They are in Elmhurst, IL. $19k for a 2WD EX. No way I say.
    Did you only use the dealer's site to start the negotiations?
  • tomguinesstomguiness Member Posts: 20
    Got EX 4WD w/ keyless, hoodvent, mud flaps & roof rack for $ 20,000 in NYC. They didn't want to let it go but I said it would be a rolling advertisement, I mean, how can they expect to sell them unless people actually see them out there.
    I'm not familiar with a "hoodvent". What is it?
  • neoknneokn Member Posts: 3
    I was quoted for $18,500 + TTL for a EX auto 2WD with NO side airbag - the dealer won't have it for this model year.

But the price for dealer installed accessories are a lot higher than the MSRP I found at honda.com. It would be amost $1800 extra to have these installed. Is this commom accross all the dealers?

FRONT BUMPER TRIM $300.00
    REAR BUMPER TRIM $156.00
    FOG LIGHT KIT $515.00
    SPLASH GUARDS $135.00
    KEYLESS ENTRY KIT $240.00
    SECURITY SYSTEM KIT (with keyless)$658.00
  • bber2234bber2234 Member Posts: 1
    I bought mine (EX 4WD Galapagos Green w/ Keyless) for $18,666 + TTL three weeks ago from Breakaway Honda in Greenville, SC. It was the 4th Honda we've bought from them in the past year so that's why we probably got such a great deal on it. It's a blast to drive and pretty much the only complaint I have is the fuel economy coupled with the rather small gas tank makes for a short amount of time between fill-ups.
  • dreamfly001dreamfly001 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought my '03 4WD, EX w/keyless entry, mudflaps, roof rack, moon roof thing, and door strippy things,in San Diego for $20,500. Sorry, didn't have the exact descriptions in front of me. Went to Cush Honda - Fleet sales. From my experience - went to 3 dealers, they are dealing more on the DX models.
    More than 2 days and no new posts? There are many of us that would like to hear about your experiences (as well as price) of buying the E.
  • zenzikorazenzikora Member Posts: 64
    I am seriously considering getting an Element EX 2WD 5-speed with no add-ons. Best quote is $17,797 (invoice is $17,693). This sounds like a good deal to me, however I have a few weeks to think about it since no one locally seems to have this car in stock(I guess no one around me drives a stick?)
    BTW this is Reading Honda in Reading, PA
    Sounds like a good price to me. An EX FWD automatic goes for about $1,100 over invoice here in South Florida. Have you tried carsdirect.com?

I'm waiting for the 04's.
    their price is $18.1 I'm pretty surprised at how low the price they gave me was. Especially since they don't have any in stock so they aren't trying to push them out because they've been sitting. Luckily I'm not in a hurry, since I've heard from 3 dealers now that they will have a hard time getting them, but the other 2 dealers haven't been as nice and didn't come right out with a price, let alone a good one.
    Is the 03 supply drying up?
    I don't think so, not yet anyways, it's just that no other dealers around have them either, since I guess no one is buying them. So they have to wait for them from the factory, or wait for what they already had on order I guess. Apparently the dealer I'm working with has 2 4wd manuals coming in mid-month, then at least 3 2wd manuals at the end of the month.
    I wonder why no one buys manuals on them? I haven't driven it yet, but I bet if they kept at least one around they'd sell it. Then again, maybe that's what they did.
    I heard the average days on the lot were between 11 and 13. That would tell me that someone must be buying them. I think the must have limited production runs on the E.
  • hondasellertxhondasellertx Member Posts: 35
    We have about two dozen assorted on the lot. Then again we are the largest Honda dealer and one of the largest anywhere in the world.
    automatics. Most of the dealers around here have between 10 and 20 automatics on the lot, most if not all are 4WD as well. And I want 2WD, stick, so I have to wait.
    Most people are buying automatics with FWD. There isn't much need for 4WD down here.
    and really up here most people dont NEED 4WD, hence I am not getting it. But we do get some snowstorms up to a foot or two sometimes, and peole like to think they should have it. I figure if I can get to work in my FWD compact car at 2AM (third shift) when they haven't plowed yet, then an E can darn well do the same, and since it weighs more it ought to dig a bit deeper. I will get snow tires.
    I don't see many E's around here to begin with really, but they must be selling.
  • tomguinesstomguiness Member Posts: 20
    I meant deflector. On lip of hood.
    OK, thanks for clarifying.
    If it snowed down here people would have no idea of how to drive in it. We would easily break a record for the most accidents. Most of the old people down here shouldn't even be driving - no reflexes, can't see over the steering wheel not to mention they can't see or hear. But try and take away their driving license and you will hear them
    One time I was in Georgia in February, and it snowed - just a dust on the ground; and all the schools got cancelled and everyone was shocked and amazed! I felt like I was in a tropical country or something. Amazing differences between New Hampshire (3 inches in October one time I was there!) and Florida (80 degrees in March).

:-) It was so funny, we just drove our big RWD Van around no problem. . .
    We have received several inches in the past 2 days. Would help to have the Element now instead of waiting for the 04's.
  • tahoelesuretectahoelesuretec Member Posts: 1
    I have been researching and surfing to find what price is fair to pay for an Element. Roseville is offering $100 above invoice and Reno More but they offer $1616 Service credit and Free tires for life! I'm trying to figure out the catch. Also I stumbled across a website with oem Honda accessories that are about 25% off of msrp. hondaaccsssoriescheap.com Happy hunting and for those who have bought, please tell me more to help me decide.
  • babauerbabauer Member Posts: 1
    I'm collecting quotes on a stock
    EX 4WD 5MT

The 3 quotes so far
    *Carsdirect.com = $20,510
    *Honda Cars/Everett = $19,995
    * Clair Honda = $19,452 (w/"free" mudflaps)

I anticipate more quotes after the Labor Day weekend, and some back and forth.
  • purduealum91purduealum91 Member Posts: 285
    People, come to Grand Honda in Elmhurst, IL. They are selling them for this price. Whi pay more! No, I do not work for them. Im just passing along the deal.
  • xavier10xavier10 Member Posts: 1
    looking to get a 4*4 EX
    where is the best place to get my car from
    local dealers seem unwilling to talk anything but sticker price
  • krethemekretheme Member Posts: 2
    Purchased from Lia Honda in Albany, NY for $18,999 (which included the destination charge). Not quite as good as the Elmhurst, IL price noted above, partly for regional market reasons, I suspect.

Substantially better than CarDirect, which wanted sticker ($20,510).
  • pena316pena316 Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a 2WD EX, Black for $18,522. Less than $100 over invoice. Purchased from Classic Honda.
  • briancorrbriancorr Member Posts: 67
    I've been getting quotes on 2wd EX's here in Dallas. I've gotten quotes for $18431, $18600 and $18900. The dealer that quoted $18900 is closest to me so I'm going there to see if they will match the quote of $18431. They will also have to either remove or drastically reduce the price of the installed accesories (roof rack, mud guards, wheel locks) if they want my business.
  • losangelesgurllosangelesgurl Member Posts: 18
    Hello, everyone. Dealer called today. Said he could get me (from another dealer) an orange (I prefer green, but the orange is my 2nd choice) 4WD, 5-speed, '03 Element EX for $19,484, plus tax, title, license, registration. (Not doing a trade in.) He also said he'd give me $500 worth of coupons toward future service on the car if I got the service done at their dealer. How's this for a price? I'm in Los Angeles, if it matters. Thanks.
    Dealer let me take an Element for an hour yesterday by myself. With no salesguy yattering on and on about how great this feature is and how great that feature is, I was able to concentrate and actually check out the car while I drove. Well, good thing I did, cuz guess what?! Unless I was going below 25 or over 100, I would not be able to see the speedometer! The arc of the steering wheel perfectly blocked out the majority of the speedometer. This is a major design flaw, in my opinion. What REALLY ticked me off is that the salesman and his manager acted like I had just arrived from Mars and was standing there with three heads and talking in tongues. I ended up walking out, not so much because the steering wheel blocked the speedometer, but because of the way they both swore up and down that NO ONE has ever said that before, and that there is NO WAY that I could possibly have tried all the seating positions, and that SURELY there is a combination between tilt of steering whee, position of seat up/down and toward/away from dash. First of all, why would I make such a thing up? I love the dang car and now I'm REALLY struggling as to whether to even buy or not. And secondly, I find it hard to believe that neither of those men has heard this concern over the steering wheel blocking the speedometer. They've both been in the business a long time, and that dealership is a very high volume place, so it isn't like they've sold only a couple and therefore haven't heard it before. Plus, I did a search on the internet, and there are all kinds of postings and articles on exactly this problem.

I'm mostly just venting. I thought I had found my car, and now I have to seriously consider whether to buy the thing or not. Thanks for listening, and if you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
    Maybe we should start a list - how tall you are, where you have the seat, and how well you can see the speedo. I am about 5'3", have the seat a bit below the highest setting, fairly upright so I can reach the stick, and fairly forward as well, so I can reach the clutch. I am NOT scrunched upright as far as possible, I am back as far as my height will allow. I have a PERFECT view of the gauge cluster. All three guages are neatly set between the top arc of the steering wheel and the horn/airbag center. I also have a good view all around (except the thick A-pillar), and decent blind-spot visibility.

How tall are you? did you fiddle with the height-adjuster?
    You have a point zenzikora. We should start a list for heights with problem. losangelesgurl, how tall are you?
    To answer your question, I'm 5'4 3/4" tall. But I was thinking about it. The actual height would be from the bottom of the butt (in a seated position) to the eyes, yanno? And even then, there'd be some variation, since not everyone has the same leg length, even if they did have the same distance between butt and eyes. Not to be toooooo technical and all, but then again, kind of have to, since I believe if I was an inch taller (or shorter), that I'd probably be able to see the speedometer just fine. Maybe I'll just buy the thing and raise the steering wheel to the highest position, and hold the wheel at 7 o'clock and 5 o'clock position. :::grumble::: On top of it all, CA's car tax triples as of October 1, so if I want to save something like $800 (according to the dealer), I should buy before Oct. 1.
    I agree with the way you describe measuring height, but I was trying to be sensitive about upper torso measurements and not mention it - don't want to be kicked out. And how does one actually measure from the butt up?
  • briancorrbriancorr Member Posts: 67
    Perhaps if you measured from the roof to your eyes, rather than from the lower regions up, it would be easier to get an idea of what works.
    I'm 5'11" and don't recall there being an issue with seeing the speedo. (It's my wife's car, so I usually only drive it on the weekends.)
    I think the problem could easily be solved by allowing the wheel to tilt higher - I noticed it really doesn't tilt Up very far, but you can go as low as you want. I think I have it on almost the highest setting, and it is still pretty vertical. I hate to sound like the salesman, but are you SURE you tried all the options? up/down/forward/back and the leaning and the tilt? I thought it had a good flexible range, but I can see how if you had a torso an inch or two 'taller' than me, you could be blocked. . .

I'm just glad I'm short I guess. . .
    Zenzikora, yep, I sure did try all the different positions of steering wheel tilt, seat height, and seat forwardness. The only way I can see the speedometer (and still reach the pedals), is by having the steering wheel tilted ALL the way up. That is soooooo not a comfortable driving position, so that is why in my previous post I mentioned that I could just drive like that and have my hands in the 7 o'clock and 5 o'clock wheel positions. (Not a good idea, in my opinion.) So, here I am, Elementless, and not sure what I will be doing about it. I guess I could get a big huge pillow and put it under me. Hmmm, would that work? But still, what a drag.
    I thought tilted all the way up wasn't all that far, actually, but it's all a matter of opinion and personal comfort. Maybe you should try the CR-V, it's not as cool, but it's the same underpinnings, or a Forester, etc. . .
    That would suck though, I know I didn't really look at any other cars (seriously) when I got my E, so it would have been a real bummer to not find a good position
    Yeah, it's a real downer. I am seeing Elements all over Los Angeles right now, too, so I'm feeling real down. I might take a pillow to the dealership and see how that works. But still, I don't like the idea of having to sit on a booster chair in order to drive.
    Hello again. What's True Market Value mean? I saw it in another post, and looked it up here on the site, but I still don't understand what it means. Also, how come there is a color adjustment, and what does that mean? I'm new at this car stuff so sorry if these are dumb questions, but I don't know this stuff. Thanks.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Short answer is that it's what people are paying for a certain car in your region. And some car colors bring more money than others - silver is generally worth a little more than yellow for example, because fewer people want a yellow car.

Long TMV answer:

Learn More About TMV®

Steve, Host
  • hosebunny815hosebunny815 Member Posts: 1
    I have been reading a lot about the Element on these message boards, while researching. I consequently have my mind set on a 4WD 5-speed Element. Furthermore, i keep coming across plugs for Grand Honda in Elmhurst (i.e. #32), so living in IL, I go there to possibly buy an Element. I live about 2 hours west of there and talked with Salesman 1 on the phone twice, asking a price (4WD 5-speed-$18,900), and if they HAD them in stock. I was answered with a definite YES. I called Salesman 1 TWICE that day to confirm whether they had them there...as i was coming for a test drive in the evening after work (dragging my tired 9-yr old), and i lived 2 hours away.
    Well, i get there, and Salesman 1 is lounging around with some co-workers. After polite introductions, Salesman 1 runs off somewhere leaving me with Salesman 2 (Salesman 1, i'm told, is with a customer....ok). I am then told that there are no 4WD 5-speeds on the lot. At this point, I'm almost in tears. I told the salesman that i drove quite a ways, and confirmed that the vehicle was here TWICE, before i left. He then told me that they could "spot" one, but this was going to cost me an extra $500, unless it wasn't delivered in 7-10 business days. He also told me that there were TWO 5-speeds there earlier that day, but they must have been sold. He tried talking me into an automatic...told him i was set on a 5-speed. He then told me that "5-Speeds were hard to come by because they don't sell very well". Excuse me...but did they not just sell 2 in a matter of 3 hours? Nothing was said to this. Perhaps the 5-speeds were hidden on the back of the lot somewhere, awaiting an extra $500 "spotting" fee....
    I thanked him for his time, and my tired kid and i prepared to make our journey back home. As we were leaving he then tried selling me a used CRV or something. I won't do business with these people again. I was lied to. I was also told that i was "being done a favor, by allowing me to test drive a 4WD automatic, and a 2WD 5-speed" (of which i didn't bother...have already test driven those at another place). I don't know what to make of all this, as I'm not too experienced in the new car buying business. Maybe girls STILL get the shaft when they walk into a car dealership???...i thought those days were OVER. Anyways...getting a good deal at McGrath Honda in Elgin...$19,000....and NICE salesmen.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Send the General Manager a bill for your wasting your time. When they don't pay, if you have the energy left, sue 'em in small claims court and call the media. Sheesh!

At least they didn't take your driver's license and "lose" it for a few hours.

Seriously, I'd call or write the GM or owner and tell them about your experience. Maybe they don't know that they have some sleezy employees.

Steve, Host
This discussion has been closed.