Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Matrix Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• keptnamekeptname Member Posts: 51
    Edmunds lists this car for 15700 invoice. Are there other options you have but didn't list?
  • sco123sco123 Member Posts: 2
    No, but 16700 includes tax tags title and all kind of fees.
  • keptnamekeptname Member Posts: 51
    Sounds like a nice deal to me
  • mmatrixmmatrix Member Posts: 1
    HI,
    Im getting a matrix front wheel drive xr with the following options:50 State Emissions
    AM/FM In-Dash 6 CD Changer with 6 Speakers
    Anti-Lock Brake System,
    Electronic Brakeforce Distribution, Tire
    Pressure Monitor
    Extra Value Package #2
    Carpet Floor Mats (4pc)
    The dealer quted me 17,800. I live in Southern Calidfornia. Please let me know if this is a good price.

Thank!!! :D
  • badgerrrbadgerrr Member Posts: 6
    I put this entry someplace else here, and now see it's better placed here.

In case anyone is thinking of buying one of these critters right now, here's the price and model I just got today.

Base Matrix 2006 (Manual tranny) (2 wheel drive)

(optional equipment as defined by window sticker)
    All weather guard....$250
    cruise control......$250
    Power windows & locks...$980
    carpet mats......$88

Total price to me, delivered, including Oregon plates,
    $16,291.00

Be aware, I only wanted the rear window wiper option. But was stuck with buying this other stuff cause there isn't a lot to choose from. ( I positively HATE power windows!) Got stuck with Silver color when I wanted Red or White, also.

Went thru an Auto buyer in Portland, and got the rig inside a week.

Took her out and about today, and am proud to say; everything seems to be in order and working. So far, so good.
  • meedmundsmeedmunds Member Posts: 1
    Thank you everyone for all your quotes and information. I went to dealer armed with the information, and I just got my Matrix last Saturday. So, this is my way of returning the favor. Here is my Matrix stats and price.

Matrix XR 2 wheel drive
    FE 50 state emission
    AB Anti-Lock Break
    EV AM/FM In-dash 6 CD changer with 6 speakers
    AA 17" aluminum wheels
    SP extra value package #1
    SR Tilt/slide moonroof with day/night mirror
    CF Carpet floor mats (4pc)

I paid $17,900 + tax and fee = $19,600

Also, I got the anti-theft system that come with the car from the manufacturer for another $300.

Total $19,900.
  • matrrrrxmatrrrrx Member Posts: 1
    hey folks, Here is the fictures of the car i bought today
    2006 toyota matrix 2wd automatic transmition
    power doors and power windows with keyless entry
    anti_thift system(i guess this is an alarm system)(this came on it for free, so avoid paying extra for it :))
    i also bought matrix carpet mats
    here what i paid for all of these:
    The car+ the listed things :15100
    dealer serv.: 500
    taxes+tag title &fees: 1100
    All together i paid 16700.(out the door).
    :shades:
  • doublej1doublej1 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at the base matrix (i want the extra clearance) with vehicle traction control. I haven't driven one with it and i am wondering if anyone has it and likes it. I spend a lot of time in the car and the drop in gas mileage to have a 4wd makes it unattractive. I do however snowboard, hike and do other outdoor things so i would like the added traction of either VTC or 4wd. Also the traction control is about $1000 cheaper. What do you guys think?
  • rmagusrmagus Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I'm Northeast aread(NY) just got quote for '06 matrix XR AWD with vp2 side air bag, 6 spkrs, wheel. quote $19,990 + TT&L = under $21,000.. know if this is reasonable? also need tips of finding the best means to finance the baby. any leads with online financing?? Thanks in advance!
  • hmarhmar Member Posts: 15
    If you can join a credit union, they tend to have the best rates.
    I got an XR, 5sp, FWD, EV#1 (fog lights, cruise control, All-Weather), 6-CD changer, floor mats, rear cargo mat) for $16,500 (the invoice price according to the dealer, but it includes the holdback) + the dealer fee of $375. With tax (a whopping 8.375% in NYC), title, license, etc, it adds up to $18.2. They don't market this package in NY, so I had to custom order it. I figured that because I wasn't taking anything from their existing stock, nor am I financing through them, that my negotiating position wasn't as strong as it could be. Any impressions on the quality of this deal?
  • vyadavvyadav Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to buy a 2006 Matrix, Auto, FWD with the following options EV#1 (fog lights, cruise control, All-Weather), 6-CD changer, floor mats, rear cargo mat). I am looking to get it for 16000 which shud include registration.
    Any comments or suggestions?
  • tnnguyen3tnnguyen3 Member Posts: 1
    Hello people,

I am a rockie as buying car. This is the first time considering purchasing a brand new car. I would love to own the Matrix XR automatic package. I dont want any options to be add by it. Can someone tell me what is the fair price out of the door? I am very confused by the whole idea of dealing, haggling just to buy a car, but I know it is a must. I have hard time dealing with dealers. They kept on giving me so high price which I know I shouldnt take the deal. After doing research on Edmunds. The website suggested the Price should be 17,100 roughtly, however more confusion come to mind is that they didnt say anything about tax already included or not? Can some one help me here because i am desperately in hoping not getting play by those dealership.

Thanks in advance T
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Hi tnnguyen3,
    Edmunds prices don't include tax, because there is such a difference depending on which ZIP code you live in. So, you will have to add tax to whatever price you are given.

May I make a gentle suggestion? You write in English very well, but it seems like English is not your first language. You might want to take along a friend who does speak English as a native - someone might try to take advantage of you because of the language.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussion

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

T,

First off, I suggest thoroughly reading the guide to dealing with dealers, located in the Top 10 lists on the Edmunds
    website. I found it very useful.

Second, before you begin negotiating, make sure you have a firm idea of prices - the price you think you should pay, how much above that price you're willing to go, and almost as important, how much below your ideal buying price you want to begin with. You'd be surprised at how little dealers are willing to settle for, especially when it comes to new cars. Most of their money is made in service, financing, and used cars.

If they don't have the model with the options you want, that is worth a price reduction to you. You are helping them by taking something that's already in their lot, rather than having to order a car or initiating a dealer swap, if it's something they don't have in stock.

Third - go through the internet dealer, rather than walking into the dealership and dealing with a floor salesperson. Internet salespeople often are paid a flat rate per car they sell, rather than a commission that is a percentage of the sale price. It makes the internet dealer more likely to come down in price. Another alternative is a buying service, such as Autobytel, or Groovecar. They'll do all of the work for you. I've heard about people being very happy with them.

Fourth - when they're writing up the price, remember that the dealer's fee, which tends to be from $250-500, is completely negotiable. It's pure profit added onto the negotiated price. Make sure you factor that in. If you can make a deal with that amount removed, or even reduced, you're one step further to getting what you want.

As far as the options are concerned, you may have some problems. Toyota markets Options Packages by sales region. There tend to be minimum options you have to take - so they're not truly options - it's not possible to opt out of them. If you want a truly bare-bones car, you will probably have to order it and be willing to wait 4-16 weeks to have it delivered. There are more or fewer minimum options, depending on location. To find out what's marketed to your region, you need to go to Toyota's website and enter your zip code, then build your Matrix. Living in NY, I discovered that the minimum options were far more than I wanted by about $1,000, but that nearby regions, including Boston and Phildelphia had exactly the options I was looking for (ultimately, I ordered the car to spec, buy that's another story).

Finally, a couple of do's and don'ts:

Do walk in with a plan, as well as printouts of what you want, and a list of all options and their cost, and a calculator, so that you can figure exactly what amounts you're dealing with. If you're prepared, you'll probably be done in a very short amount of time. The dealer has to explain less, and he knows that he can't mis-state facts about the car. I walked in knowing more about the car than my dealer and was done in under 2 hours.

Do be willing to negotiate some, but remember - they want to make a deal - they should come down a lot further than you come up.

If they promise you something, or you negotiate some condition, do get it in writing. When my car came in, it was eligible for a rebate from Toyota. The dealer tried to tell me that as it was an ordered car, that the dealership was entitled to all rebates and incentives. As nothing of the sort was on my copy of the buyer's order, I refused to agree to that. As a result, we tore up the order, started from scratch, and renegotiated a new deal for almost $400 less. He and I both walked away a little more satisfied.

Do be patient. Don't let yourself be pressured.

Don't be afraid to walk out if you feel you're not getting treated well or fairly. There are so many Toyota dealers out there, you can just go to the next one.

Knowing what you want and showing it will help a lot.

Good luck.
  • goosmangoosman Member Posts: 2
    I bought a base model, 5sp, power package, security, all weather pckge, cruise control about 2 weeks ago in Maryland for $14,670 + tax, tag, title. Very happy with the deal and the car.

goose
  • xiexie Member Posts: 1
    I received a offer for an AUTO base model with PO. OTD is $17,400. Is this a good deal? I am in Bay Area, California. Thanks for the help.

Best,
  • awang1awang1 Member Posts: 1
    I am in the Sacramento (Northern California) region and would like recommendations on dealerships and/or brokers. I have been seriously searching for a Matrix XR, 2WD, EVP#2, ABS, in black with cloth seats. Here are some prices that I have gotten so far:
    from a broker in Auburn $19,896.10 (out the door)
    from Roseville and Auburn Toyota $20,393.00 MSRP
    From Hanlees in Davis $20,342.86 (out the door)
    Hanlees participates in the Costco Auto Buying program. The rep I met with did not seem particularly interested in my business.
    Also- anyone know anything about the 2007 Matrix? Or if Toyota plans on lowering the prices on the 2006?

Thanks in advance.
  • kckckckc Member Posts: 1
    I live in LA, CA (tax 8.25%) and I just brought a Matrix. You probably don't want to drive down to buy a car, but here are my details for your reference.

Matrix XR, 2WD, auto +
    AA (17" Alloy wheels) +
    SR (Sunroof) +
    AB (ABS) +
    SP (Extra Value Package #1) +
    EV (AM/FM In-Dash 6-CD Changer) +
    CF (Carpet Floor Mats) +
    Alarm

I also got Sirius Satellite Radio for 9 months, cargo cover and cargo net (not sure if these are part of the car or added bonus).

I think the different between what I got and what you are looking for is basically 17" instead of 16" wheels, 6 disc changer and the alarm. I got the car for 20000 out the door. I could have gotten the car without alarm for 300 less and 16" alloy wheels (instead of 17") for 600-700 less but they only have the color white for the 16".

Hope this helps! Keep us posted on your purchase experience.
  • trigmantrigman Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 06 Vibe GT in the DC area and I got a price 200$ over the consumer reports dealer invoice price. I special ordered it since there weren't any GTs out there that didn't have a sun roof. One other dealership I looked at practically told me they wouldn't order one for me since so many people end up not liking it and they get stuck with it. Oh well, their loss. I love the car and the 6 speed transmission.
  • dardasdardas Member Posts: 1
    That's an excellent price. I live in MD, near DC and am shopping for a Matrix with identical specs. Can you tell me which dealer your bought this from?

Tom
  • jessrjessr Member Posts: 5
    I would also love to know where you got this deal. I'm in the market for a Matrix. I live in New York State. No one seems interested in giving me a deal.
    Where in NY do you live?
    If you're in the NYC metro area, I got a very good deal at Millenium Toyota in Hempstead. They ordered a Matrix for me with specs outside of the regional standards for a good price.
  • goosmangoosman Member Posts: 2
    355 Toyota in Rockville.
  • greenearth2greenearth2 Member Posts: 5
    Purchased Toyota Matrix instead of Honda Fit.

Did not like Fit Interior.
    Fit was too small for a primary car.
    Mercy of dealers.
    Price was MSRP.

My purchase was Matrix XR AT + All the options was below invoice for $18,100= airbags+6 CD changer+sunroof+premium tyres+etc+ 3 free services+1 year emission check.

Interior feel was defnitely a big plus. I was able to bring a Queen size head board, footboard and frame+ side stand from ikea with wife sitting in back with seats folded down. Thats what I want.

I am getting 34 miles per gallon after 1000 miles break-in.

Thanks for all for your inputs.

:shades:
  • thisweithiswei Member Posts: 1
    I went to a Toyota dealership in South Jersey and I was offered a price of $18,548 for 2007 Toyota Matrix XR 2WD with the following options:

QP: extra value package #2(Includes 16" x 6.5" aluminum alloy wheels, sunroof, cruise control, steering wheel mounted cruise controls, front driving lamps and front and rear underbody spoiler)
    EV: AM/FM in dash 6 CD changer
    AB: Antilock brake system
    CK: all weather guard package
    FE: 50 state emissions
    CF: carpet floor mats (4pcs)

The price of $18,548 includes destination charge but not tax and other fees. Can anyone tell me if this price is reasonable or if anyone brought a similar car with this price?
  • austintx1austintx1 Member Posts: 2
    Just bought in sweltering Houston, TX:

2007 XR 2WD AT
    Side curtain airbags
    50 State Emissions
    Xtra Value pac#2: 16" alloys, AS tires, power tilt/slide moonroof, cruise control, front fog and driving lamps, front and rear underbody spoiler
    Rear Spoiler
    Carpeted floor mats
    Vehicle shield package

Out-the-door 19,300
  • jlum866jlum866 Member Posts: 25
    Can you tell me just the price of the car? Since I am in San Francisco, I think the sales tax and all associated fees are different. Here is what I am looking for. 2007 XR 2WD AT with options FE;BE;EV;AB;and QP. Getting quotes of 18451 and 18713 so far.
    Thanks
    I am in San Francisco. I am looking for 07 XR 2WD AT with the following options: FE:BE:EV:AB:QP and Z1. So far, got quote of 18751 and now it is 18451. Got another at 18963 and now at 18713. These prices are thru the internet. From my experience, it does not hurt to counter them back with a lower offer (100 to 300 dollars). The worst you could do is that they will tell you no. Let me know how it works out. I am still working on my XR.
    John
  • austintx1austintx1 Member Posts: 2
    It worked out to between 17,900 and 18,000 before taxes.
  • kl884347kl884347 Member Posts: 1
    Is it worth it to get the post purchase items like
    Undercoat, weather protection, etc. etc.? I live in the Mid-Atlantic.
    Thanks!
    Went shopping Labor Day weekend. Could not find any XR's with my options. The dealer checked inventory and no dealer within 100 miles had the car I wanted. Anyway, was also looking at Civics but ended up with an 2006 Accord EX-L w/navi I4 4 door sedan at a very good price.
    From reading other postings, all that extra stuff the dealer tries to sell is pure profit. Check in other forums and search for dealer add ons.
  • oubaasjohnoubaasjohn Member Posts: 8
    Good to see that you are in the US.
    Prices in Canada seem high in Canadian dollars compared to US dollars.
    I just bought a 2007 XR Matrix. (Traded in my 2003 XR Automatic Transmission)I explained in more detail the reasons for getting another Matrix at the "compare Matrix and Vibe" forum.
    Cash price before taxes etc: $24031.00
    After freight taxes etc: $27133.88
    I also installed an after market rust proofing electronic device (Sold by Toyota for $700) which I bought at CTC for $200. Check their bumph at : www.counteractrust.com - Still a rip off in my opinion. I am doing an experiment to verify its efficacy.
    I am posting details on a blog at: http://automobile-rustproofing-black-box.blogspot.com/
  • texasgirl2texasgirl2 Member Posts: 13
    so down here in texas, i was shocked to learn that most vehicles don't come automatically equipped w/ ABS. i know it's an option, BUT it's something that has to be specially ordered...the dealerships don't just get them w/ ABS. i think this is weird, but we got a production change and we are getting a white XR w/ abs, manual transmission, package #2, side curtain airbags, and sunroof wind deflector for $18,750. not bad according to the research i've done. it should be here by the end of this month!
  • gasman1gasman1 Member Posts: 321
    Congratulations! You did a good job in your order. Getting the 5-speed with ABS and side bags was a smart buy.
  • njmatrixnjmatrix Member Posts: 1
    I am in NJ (North/Bergen). I booked one 07 XR 2WD AT with the following options: FE:BE:EV:AB:QP and Z1. Started from quote of 19095 and after bargaining got for 18500. Got another quote in another dealer at 18000 without moonroof. In this forum I saw one buyer got 300 dollars less. Waiting for the car of my color will take 10 days max. :blush:

Since I wanted a particular color and said ready for a wait and do not need moonroof, 6 CD player etc, the salesman came down from 19095 to 18600. By the time I lost patience and if I stuck to my stand of paying only 18000 may be I would have got for a couple of hundreds less.

With tax,registration etc total $20200.

Other cars considered Honda Fit, waiting period 1 month end of November, only sticker price, not even available for test drive :P

GR
  • socalscootersocalscooter Member Posts: 6
    Hi,
    Yesterday I test drove a 2004 Matrix XR at a dealership in Los Angeles. The price is 13,777, mileage in the 40's, and the car has a moonroof and cruise control. I really liked the car and the amount of interior space. I'm concerned, though, because despite the fact that the car is Toyota certified, the check engine light was on during my test drive. I saw another thread about check engine lights that said it might just be a loose gas cap. I used to own a VW Jetta that had a chronic check engine light problem, and I don't want to live with that worry again. What do you Matrix owners think: is the check engine light going to be a problem? Should I get this car? Thanks.
  • nil12nil12 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I've been reading this forum for sometime and finally my wife bought ( Bay area, CA ) 2006 Toyota Matrix XR, EVP #2 in Aug-2006 for 20500 otd, metalic silver. I was out of country so didn't get time to post it earlier.

so far I love it, except that salesman convinced my wife to buy prepaid maintenance for $1255. It covers upto 4yr/55000miles oil change,tire rotation,20 point inspection...usual stuff. what do u guys think about this prepaid maintenance ? Is it really worth ? I saw another website (something like cheapservice) which sells same package for 800$.

Are there any real benefit to this toyota prepaid maintenance ? I don't see it but looking for your insight.

Thanks in advance, really enjoy reading post here.
  • bmoosebmoose Member Posts: 1
    It seems like a good deal. I am also in NJ (Central/Middlesex). The local dealership offers 07 XR 2WD AT with FE:CK:EV:AB:QP:CF for $18500. This price includes all the fees except for the taxes. Yours seems to be better because of side airbags.

Good luck with your new car.
  • mapleleafsmapleleafs Member Posts: 1
    I am planning to purchase a 2007 Matrix XR (no additional option/package) in Toronto, Canada and has an offer at C$22,510.00 (including admin fee & freight/delivery, before tax). Is it a good deal?
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    If you're only getting 4 years worth of oil changes/tire rotations for $1255, then assuming 4/yr service interval = 16 over 4 years = $78/service interval, and if you're just getting an oil change/tire rotation/inspection, that's not worth it. I don't know what other maintenance you'll have on the car before 55,000 miles either.
  • mrp2mrp2 Member Posts: 2
    I did not close on a Matrix 07 (base model 5M) because of a problem on the upholstery of the driver seat. There was a void (~1 inch) left/rear corner (where one seats on) so that the internal white foam was sticking out. It could clearly be seen standing up and before entering the car. It seemed to me that the upholstery had not been properly placed on the frame of driver seat or that someone with a considerable weight had seated on it, forcing the foam out. There was no indication of tear and was not observable on the front passenger seat.

The sales person stated that this is how the base model comes from Toyota. I asked to see other models. A smaller void (0.5”) on the same place was observed on another base model but not on a XR model.

The dealer was unconcerned and would not give me a “Due Bill” for this problem and insisted that Toyota warranty would cover this. The car on the lot was the one I wanted. I was ready to buy right then as we had agreed on the price. Instead I wasted 3 hours of my time.

Has anyone inspected the driver seat cloth upholstery for this problem? What opinions about the cloth used in the Matrix seats are out there?
  • manoamanoa Member Posts: 3
    I am in Milwaukee. I was offered a price of $18,634 for a Red 2007 Toyota Matrix XR 2WD AT with the following options:

QP: extra value package #2
    EV: AM/FM in dash 6 CD changer
    AB: Antilock brake system
    CK: all weather guard package
    FE: 50 state emissions
    CF: carpet floor mats (4pcs)
    BE: Side Airbag

Also, I was offered to trad in my 03 VW Golf 51,000 mi for $8100, a little bit higher than the edmunds' trade-in value.
    Can anyone tell me if this price is reasonable?
  • rootsdrrootsdr Member Posts: 1
    Hell all...looking to buy a 2007 Matrix XR this weekend in Northern California. The vehicle inquiry report from the dealer is for 20,493...this is with Service Pack #2, driver/pass. and side curtain air bags, ABS/EBD, floor mats, rear bumper protector, 6 disc changer. We settled over the phone for 19,800. Is this a good deal...or should I haggle some more?? OTD is: 21,463
    The dealer is picking the car up for me tomorrow. :shades:
  • matrix05matrix05 Member Posts: 2
    I recently made my purchase. I did own a 2002 Honda Civic EX Coupe 5spd. Loved the car and for 74,000 miles worry free. I sold it and bought a Certified Pre-Owned Matrix:

2005 Toyota Matrix XR AWD
    Black Pearl Metallic
    -6 disc in-dash CD changer
    -leather wrapped steering wheel
    -pwr. moonroof
    -XR body kit and fog lamps
    -16" alloy wheels
    -cargo mat
    -rear bumper protector

I paid $18,000 for this car from Toyota of Dartmouth Massachusetts. Took me a full month to find it because I wanted specific that were hard to come by, namely the color, the AWD, and other features that I had on my Civic that I would never give up (who knew it was so hard to find a Matrix with a moonroof.) Anyways, the car is a bit slower than my Civic was but the amount of space and comfort is awesome. I recently took it along with my brother, father, and uncle to a NY Jets game. We live in Milford, CT about an hour from the city (NY). The car was loaded with a folding table (which fit right in the back no problem), coolers, gear, chairs, food, and the grill. I made it there and back with less than a half a tank of gas. Everyone was comfortable and people in the parking lot at the tailgate were amazed how much my little car fit compared to their SUVs.

The AWD was a big factor in my purchase when I was looking for this car. Me and my girlfriend drive all over the place, including upstate New York. Not to mention the 25 mile commute to work in snow would not be something my Civic would like. This car is just an all-around great vehicle. It looks slick with the creased body lines, it is sporty and handles very well, and the cargo room is amazing.

I did take a quick look at a few other vehicles, namely the Vibe which to me is fairly ugly and bland looking, and I have no need for roof rails. And the Mazda 3 hatchback, which

A)Lacked the amount of cargo space the Matrix has by a lot
    B)Rear seat room was horrendous
    C)Walked into the dealer and after about 20 minutes of standing in the showroom, walking the lot, and literally standing at a salespersons desk while they sat there was not approached or asked for help by anyone. The next day I drove up and bought the Matrix.

Bought it with 29,000 miles on it, so far I am at 40,000 and have had it for almost 6 months. So I do put mileage on it, and the car has been nothing but pleasant!
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    I'm getting interested in the Matrix as a car for my daughter (relatively new driver), but haven't been able to find it on the internet or Toyota site as to what grade of gasoline is required.

Can a current owner confirm that it runs on regular gas, as opposed to Premium...thanks.
  • beantownbeantown Member Posts: 228
    Regular is fine....and recommended.
  • a_coopera_cooper Member Posts: 5
    I recently purchased a 2007 Toyota Matrix XR with a 5-speed manual, Extra-Value Package #1, All Weather Guard Package, and carpeted floor mats.

I arranged to purchase the car from a local (Wisconsin) dealer, via their website. Here's a very complete(!) description of the process:
    a_cooper, "Internet vs. Traditional Car Buying" #1388, 11 Jan 2007 8:50 am

Essentially, the MSRP as equipped was $17,790. Edmunds' TMV price is $17,335. My informed estimate places the invoice price at $16,145.

The dealer's initial reply for my website request for a quote was $16,424. This is more than $900 LESS than Edmunds' TMV, and only a couple hundred dollars over invoice. Tax, title, and license were extra.

After a final test drive, we agreed on the price and I was out the door in about an hour. They made it a very quick and painless transaction, with none of the games or hidden fees often associated with car dealers.

I perhaps could have chiseled him for a deeper discount, but the Matrix XR is fairly low-priced to begin with (under $18,000), is in relatively short supply, and according to my research, currently offers no other factory rebates or incentives to the dealer.

I also feel that every auto dealer, like any other business, deserves to make SOME kind of profit margin, and I was not determined to cut him to the bone on price. Instead, I wanted to award that profit to a deserving dealer that seems to be working hard to polish the tarnished image of sleazy car dealers.

After a few weeks with the new car, I couldn't be happier, either with the Matrix or the Internet buying experience.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    last night on my second Matrix. Yes, second. My first one was an '03 bought in early '02 when they first came out, and my first foray ever into the world of automatics, which is a miserable trip I will never make again! Sold that one after 18 months, but always missed it.

So last night I picked up an indigo blue XR 5-speed stick, EVP #2, 6-CD, mats, ABS, what am I missing? Sticker was $18,960, bought it for $17,934 + fees, which appears to be about $500-600 over invoice, fine by me. And just like other posters here, that was an internet deal, just walked right in and signed on the dotted line, no haggling. It was my first time ever doing that, and I think that's the future of car-buying for me.

I already love having a sunroof again, I like that the newer models have some blue and white in the speedo and tach (my '03 was an all red dash, including gauges), and the stick shift is the only choice for this car for me. It makes it a lot more peppy than the auto.

Interestingly, that dealer had a leftover '06 XRS, sticker $22,2xx, fully loaded, that I could have had for about $2000 more. Decided to give it a pass.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

This discussion has been closed.