Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Matrix Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,221
    I thought we were buying a beater this week?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    we were, but none of them panned out. They were all either too beaten or already sold, and quite a number never even responded to my initial inquiry. :-(

But it works out better this way anyway - I get a Matrix with a stick shift, the way it should have been my first go around with this model, the way it would have been if I had been more patient in '02. :-)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Congrats on the new car, and your renewal in the CCBA club is being processed.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Okay...I'll bite

CCBA = ???? Credit Card Buyers of Automobiles?
    CCBA = Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous. Check out News & Views to see that thread - there are many of us addicts in there. :-)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• ilovecameryilovecamery Member Posts: 1
    Recently just pulled the trigger and bought one. We prenegotiated through email and phone with several dealerships and just walked in to sign the deal.

2007 XR
    Auto
    ABS
    Value package #2
    6 CD changer

$400 recent grad rebate

We paid $18600 out the door, considering we have 6% tax rate here, we are only paying about 1-200 above invoice.

We could have done better because after the purchase, we emailed the other dealerships and two of them readily matched this price.
  • aeffortaeffort Member Posts: 2
    I'm an artist in the Bay Area and need to cart artwork/equipment around--I was happy with my old Camry 5 DR hatchback but time to replace...After checking a lot of models seems like the Matrix offers the space I need.

I found a preowned 2006 XR AWD, auto, 11600 mi, all power, ABS, side airbag, alloy wheels, moonroof, orig warranty, at dealer asking $17998, CARFAX says 1st owner corp fleet lease registered San Ramon, 11500 mi, 2nd owner held it for only 3 mos in Riverside--can anyone advise me whether this is a good deal/ should be checked out/ or any possible catch? Thanks!
  • rookie11rookie11 Member Posts: 3
    Hi all,

I am looking at buying a 2007 Matrix XR and the toyota.com web site shows four major option packages for the XR (for SF bay area zip codes)

Opt A: not a package at all
    Opt B: EVP#1 + 17-in aluminum wheels
    Opt C: ABS + EVP#1 + moonroof
    Opt D: ABS + side air bags + EVP#2 + 6-disc CD changer

I would prefer a combo of "ABS + side air bags + EVP#1". Will this combo be hard to get because it does not fit one of the four common option packages? Would those of you who bought this car recently let me know how easy/difficult to get this car with uncommon option combo?

I am considering buying a new matrix vs. a 2004/2005 matrix and if I cannot get my desired options combo, I might as well buy a used one and pay less.

Thanks much,
    rookie11
    Well, I bought a car that was not any of those combos (mine is ABS + EVP#2 + 6-disc, no side airbags), and I am in the Bay Area also. My experience has been that you need to take what the website says with a grain of salt, as there will always be some vehicles floating around that don't match any of the "available" configurations.

Now, Toyota seems to have kind of an attitude about optional safety features, only putting them on the more expensive cars (as built), so getting a car with just ABS and/or side airbags may be very difficult. How likely would it be that they would build one with just EVP#1 and SAB+ABS? I would say probably not that likely, as they are building pretty much every single XR with EVP#1 these days. Once you're sure you want to go ahead with the Matrix, sit down with a dealer and explain that you want an exact configuration and that you would be willing to wait for it to arrive if necessary. I bet they will be able to find one somewhere, and sometimes they will actually take a factory order if not.

• lablover2lablover2 Member Posts: 115
    hi everyone, i just got a price on a matrix auto-special edition of $17873 plus tax title-etc. it lists for $20,420-it sounds like a really good deal to me but i thought i would ask you guys. i already have financing arranged thru eloan so i think my trade might be the only place they can really get me as i am good at saying no to all of the dealer extras. do you think the price is too low to be true?
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    You don't say where you are geographically speaking, and don't give any specifics about the features, but looks very reasonable. You also don't reference any of the addon junk fees (doc fees, admin, etc) which they may try to add when you get down to filling out the paperwork.

Here is a comparable MSRP vehicle. It's 150 approx more MSRP, and approx 200 more for the car, with no doc if out of state, 99 doc if in MD.

Matrix
  • lablover2lablover2 Member Posts: 115
    i am in a suburb of chicago and the doc fees here are limited by law to appr. $58. the m theory is a special edition with specific included items which are too many to list. as i did say it was auto trans-it only comes in one color-speedway blue-has larger tires-special suspension etc
  • kevinarnoldkevinarnold Member Posts: 4
    Here is what I paid in Venice, Florida:

2007 Martix XR 2WD (retail $17,720)

--Extra Value Package #2 [16" alloy wheels w/ P205/55R16 As tires, moonroof, cruise control, fog lamps, front and rear spoiler]. (retail $1680)

-- 6 CD changer with 6 speakers (retail$240)

-- Anti-lock brakes tire pressure monitor (retail $390)

-- Martix carpet mats (retail $159)

-- Toyoguard Plus Protection [undercoating, exterior paint sealant, Dealer emergenct towing, roadside assistance, no charge first oil change & filter]. (retail $699)

-- Delivery, processing & handling fee ($675)

-- Destination fuel surcharge ($15.53)

SUBTOTAL before discounts = $21,563

with Extra Value Package Discount -$800 = $20,763

Internet price = $18,444 [reduced $2319]

pre-delvery service fee = $498

lead acid battery fee = $1.50

Florida new tires fee = $5.00

7% sales tax = $1186.98

lemon law enforcement act = $2.00

Florida title = $198

Grand Total = $20,336.56

Factory rebate = -$750

Internet Price I paid including 7%Tax,tag, fees = $19,586.56
  • dcamarcedcamarce Member Posts: 8
    I just purchased my base Matrix last April so far the vehicle has already 8kM, everything in my vehicle are manual
    But I need to add an airconditioning, I already asked the
    dealer in North Vancouver,B.C. and they said they don't have air con kit available, they been advised me that I can go to the wreck yard to check if there is any. :(
    If they have new it might reach as high as $3000 CAD :cry:
    Is the Corollas aircon will fit to Matrix? :(
  • jhs70jhs70 Member Posts: 213
    In the market for a new Toyota? BEWARE of Jim Coleman Toyota in Bethesda, Maryland. Recently I had a horrendous experience there. The long and the short of it is that they jerked me around on my trade-in by outright lying about its condition. And it wasn’t a “minor” lie that they tried to propagate. All of this was done to lowball my trade, I am sure. Why they couldn’t come out and tell me they would only offer X for it, and leave it at that, I don’t know. No, they took it one step further and manufactured a lie, a lie which took me the better part of a day to resolve, and in the process greatly upsetting my wife and I.
    These people are scum for doing that. I just wanted you to know.
    Avoid Jim Coleman Toyota of Bethesda, Maryland.
  • autokrautokr Member Posts: 1
    Just bought in central Florida.
    Car has:
    ABAT
    QP
    6CD changer
    Toyoguard
    Carpet mats

Internet price visible on website and confirmed over phone: (after, of course, a couple of phone calls to "check with my manager") $16995

Deal sheet:
    17995 - 1000 rebate
    745 - "Documentation Fee"
    220 - Registration & New Tag
    1100 - State tax
    58 - Title, various crap fees

I had no trade-in and no financing.

The check I wrote was for $19,118.

Time in dealership: 2 hours 20 minutes. Had to wait about 20 minutes to see Finance guy in charge of signings. 30 minute test drive, 30 minutes for actual signing, 20 minutes wait for finance guy, 20 minutes inspecting the car and going over the controls -- where did the rest of the time even go? Beats me.

The deal sheet actually ended up with a lower figure for the price, because they insisted on adding in a $199 fee for (some other form of) Document handling, which I did not recall hearing disclosed to me on the phone. So I insisted they remove the fee. They claimed to be unable to remove it, but they adjusted the "Internet price" down by about $195 (and therefore the tax also came down a bit). Anyway, $19118 was the Out-the-door price. I suspect I could have had it for a couple hundred less if I had had time to chase down some competing offers (on whatever similarly equipped 2007's are still out there). But, I was interested in getting the car as soon as possible. Not to mention that every additional phone conversation with a dealer is torture to me, worth some money to be able to avoid.

I would have liked a Matrix with side-curtain airbags, but gave up finding one anytime soon. Considered the Hond Fit, which we liked a lot, but in the end, the slightly roomier interior feel & slightly peppier engine on the Matrix won out.

Good luck to those of you out to score a Matrix.
    The only one that seems a bit high is the $745 doc fee. Mine was $40 I think. If I had waited until this summer I could have also taken advantage of the Toyota cashback, which is now $500 in my area. Oh well. I am enjoying the car enough not to worry about it. :-)

• rts3rts3 Member Posts: 26
    Hi!

I was wondering if somebody negotiated a good deal for 2008 Toyota Matrix in Chicago area recently? I'm looking for the XR model and was curious how muc should I stick to?

Thanks!
  • beachkatbeachkat Member Posts: 1
    Not sure if there is a difference in price between Los Angeles and Chicago but today I bought a 2008 Matrix XR with Auto, FE, EV, AB, QP, in Cosmic Blue for $19,750 out the door.
  • car_guy_5car_guy_5 Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a 2008 Matrix XR 5 speed manul with ABS, all weather guard package, and extra value package 2 (alloy wheels, moonroof, cruise, fog lamps, ground effects). MSRP was $18900. I purcashed for $15,577 (includes $750 Toyota rebate + $400 Toyota finance rebate for military). I didn't negotiate the $399 processing fee down so that was added to my bottom line. Also VA tax was $514 dollars. No trade.

The 2008 Matrix discontinued production in December 2007 to support roll out of the 2009. So strike while the iron is hot if you can find one. The 2009 Matrix doesn't make a compelling reason to wait for me, the only feature I like better is the iPod connectivity that will be offered.

Hope this helps.
  • concoursconcours Member Posts: 1
    Hi there: Just getting a 2005 Matrix XR AWD. Sold new in NJ, accident in 6/05, written off by insurance, sold to body shop in Prince Edward Island. R/F fender, bonnet, grille, headlights replaced, no suspension damage. 16,800 miles. Paid $11500 Cdn taxes in (they are high in Canada). Car is fun to drive, getting rid of 98 Volvo V70 ( electric and suspension gremlins and high cost). Some screech in brakes and hum in drivetrain on acceleration. Hope this puppy lasts! About 28mpg. Comments?
    I got a Matrix 5 speed base model just last April 2007, I'm always using synthetic Mobil 1 5w-30SAE. I just do the oil change all by myself
    Since first oil change from the dealer they put motor oil about 2 cm higher than the maximum line. Anyway, last week I noticed a vibration
    from the dash board right on the glove compartment door. It happens
    only when in idling, It's annoying. When I pressed that glove compartment, the vibration will be muted. Have anyone who experienced this problem?? It seems like fit and finish on base model
    are not good as in XR model is that true??? :(
    I wouldn't expect any difference in fit and finish between base and XR models.

As for the vibration, having the glovebox overstuffed with stuff can cause the door to be forced outwards and then vibrate a bit under certain conditions. Have you checked that?

I don't know how many miles you have but it's a fact that the car is not new any more. That's another factor to take into consideration.

• oubaasjohnoubaasjohn Member Posts: 8
    I also had a vibration problem behind the dashboard somewhere on my 2003 Matrix XR (I have since sold the car) I now have a 2007 Matrix and have not heard any vibrational noises.
    The vibration noise did not occur at idle but at certain speeds but it was on an XR model so It may not be related to the base model as you suggested.
    As I said I have sold the car so now have no way to discover what the cause was.
    Good luck on solving the problem and if you find a solution perhaps you could post it here.
    Thanks
    (long story) and it had a million rattles. The one behind the dash was fixed by insulating the airbag on the passenger side from banging against something or other.

But it had those right off the dealer's lot when it was new, it didn't develop any new ones down the road.

I rechecked again the dashboard, the vibration is somewhere underneath the glove
    compartment, Now when I pressed the glove's door, the vibration still there, but when I pressed the bottom of that compartment, it will be muted. I think the bottom
    part of the dashboard, By the way my matrix has already 21,000kM (Canadian model). I will phone the service dept. today to booked an appointment. i will let you know the result, cheers...
    Just an FYI: the dealer will agree to look at it for you, but if it doesn't end up being something they call a warranty issue, they will charge you their standard price for the look-see. So be careful...

• las7las7 Member Posts: 1
    hey man jus saw your post, check the screw to the right of your glove box when it's in the open position, if thats tight enough then unscrew it and pull down and out you're whloe box. with that done there is 2 clips which hold a small cover for your cabin filtercheck that the 2 clips are clipped in properly, maybe when you/ dealer changed filter they forgot to clip it back properly.
  • loudog2loudog2 Member Posts: 83
    Just bought my matrix S AWD 2.4L in magnetic grey.
    -cruise control
    -am/fm 6 disc chager
    -17" alloy wheels
    -sport pkg.
    -moonroof
    -vsc and trac
    -preferred accessory pkg(floor mats,cargo mat and bumper protector)

Msrp:$24,334.00
    paid:$22,100.00
  • yeucafeyeucafe Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone,
    We are thinking of buying a 2008 Matrix, base model, in Oklahoma for $15600 including cruise control plus $299 processing fee.
    Does anyone know if this is a reasonable price? Or what the price should be? :confuse:
    We also consider having the power package installed. What the price of this package should be?
    Thank you for helping us. Appreciate! :) :shades:
  • oubaasjohnoubaasjohn Member Posts: 8
    Looks like a reasonable price. but there may be a bit of room to dicker as the 2009 is out and has some significant changes in body styling.
    Maybe you could get some dealer prices on the net to compare...
    Having the power package installed would be next to impossible and super-pricey in the aftermarket.

Do you mean you might buy a different car that has the power package and negotiate the higher price down?

• darkparadoxdarkparadox Member Posts: 2
    Hello!

So I’ve decided to finalize my car shopping with a 2008 Toyota matrix. Put cash down ect, working on financing.

The deals seems to good to be true though, it was a stroke of luck. A vehicle that was sold, and ultimately fell out. The car is a 2008 Toyota matrix STD the base asking price was 16,200. Is this a good price? It seems to good to be true. The invoice was 17,300.
  • darkparadoxdarkparadox Member Posts: 2
    Sorry it is not an STD. MSRP was 18,7500. Invoice was 17,300.
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    2500 off msrp for an 08 is about an average deal. If you look up a used 07 with 14000 miles on it on kbb.com or nada.com it probably wholesales for less than 13000.

16200 for a new one is nothing to write home about unless the color is rare, options, etc... or unless low interest financing is kicked in .

Good luck
    --jjf

Sorry it is not an STD. MSRP was 18,7500. Invoice was 17,300.
    Just got my Matrix 2009 Touring Edition $19,670 before freight & delivery.

1.8L dual VVT-i
    Fog lights
    Cruise control
    Scuff plate
    Rear lip spoiler
    Remote & key in one pc
    Dark Gray interior
    16" alloy wheels
    5 speed manual
    Privacy tinted windows, rear & passenger.

I chose 1.8L manual transmission for better fuel economy as the gas prices now
    are SOARING, I will let you know the fuel consumption in the next few weeks. :surprise:
    The interior design looks great not cheap plastic anymore compare to my previous 2007 model. :)
  • etchedetched Member Posts: 6
    Last week bought my T Matrix S FWD 2.4L 5-Spd Automatic Trans in magnetic Gray w/black int.
    -cruise control CL
    -All Weather guard package CK
    with rear seat heater ducts /heated outside mirrors
    -Power Tilt & Slide Moonroof with Sunshade SR
    -Carpet Floor Mats and rear Cargo Mat CF
    -Rear bumper protector EF

It was only on the lot for 20 days (shorter than some others), less than 10 miles on it, right before finalizing/paperwork, I emailed another dealer who sent me a lower price (brought email and stock # of matching vehicle to dealer where purchase was to be made), then presented dealer with new price, which he matched without discussion/argument. I told them that I was considering financing, but last minute, changed my mind and forked up the dough.

MSRP: 21665.00
    paid: $19532.00 (before doc fee/sales tax, title/plates)

P.S. I believe it is currently much easier to get the 2009 Matrix you want compared to a 2008 vehicle. I looked at other manufacturers and came up empty. Dealers were posting vehicle online that either weren't in inventory or were sold before they took delivery. I think it's sneaky to post a car that isn't for sale. Good luck out there.
    I think there are still quite a number of leftover '08s out there though. If dealers are already coming down $2000 below MSRP on '09s, I can't IMAGINE what kinds of deals they might be offering on '08s....

• skr2skr2 Member Posts: 32
    Does anybody know of any deals out there for a 2008 Matrix base (4-Speed Auto)? Any specials? Any special financing?
    I am in the dallas area.
    Thanks
    Here in the SF Bay Area many dealers are offering all remaining '08 Matrixes in stock for $2500-3000 off MSRP, depending on the dealer. Just find one in your area that's big, then go in and offer them $3000 below MSRP, better yet make them the offer via internet.

• lobelobe Member Posts: 10
    I'm sorry I can't answer directly, but perhaps this information might be a helpful frame of reference for you. I have an offer right now for a 2009 Matrix base 4-speed Auto. Has the power package, All Weather Guard Package
    Carpet Floor Mats (5-pc. Set)
    Cruise Control

MSRP is 19,459. Dealer will sell to me for $17,700. That is essentially invoice. Within dollars. Then there is the $129 "dealer prep" charge. That's it. (of course, title and plates-tags in your part of the country?). And then the taxes, but that isn't the dealer's fault. Oh, and though I don't need it, I might as well use it--0% financing for 36 months.

So if you can't come in for a similarly equipped 2008 for low $16's, I'm not sure why you would do it.

I have checked with larger dealers in the Chicago Area (but not too hard. they may be out there), and haven't found a 2008.

I don't know if that is helpful to you. Maybe you already knew about price range to shoot for and were just looking for help finding a car. Sorry. Would like to, but can't help you with that.
    They were clearing a lot of pontiac Vibe's 08 with msrp of 19500.(Higher than the toyota duplicate 08 matrix I Believe) for the low to mid 15000's (power, cruise, alloys,mats whatever else pref pkg with pontiac has). Thats an OK price since it (and the matrix like it) will wholesale used for about $12500 in a year (what an 07 is now on kbb.com etc)
    Pontiac warranty is better too. May be sold out of 08's in your area though

Good Luck
    --jjf
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    How is the warranty any better. I thought both offered the 3 year 36,000 mile warranty???
    I believe the GM pontiac has 5years/100000 mi on the powertrain, vs 60000 on toyota?. Also gm may also have the 5 yr roadside asst., however you would have to check this out.

A good price on a 08 Matrix or Vibe with power acc, automatic, and alloys (msrp about 19500 for the pontiac at least ) is in the high 14000's low 15000's. If you start talking 16500 or such you may be able to do that on a 09 now or soon.

Good luck
    --jjf
  • pilewan8pilewan8 Member Posts: 3
    Hi!
    Just got a lease on a 2009 Matrix S Auto 5 speed 2.4liter for $ 259/36 months with 15k per year. The sticker price was $ 21000.Would greatly appreciate any feedback.

Joe
    How much up front did you pay??????????
  • pilewan8pilewan8 Member Posts: 3
    I paid $ 600 which includes the first months payment,taxes,mv etc.
    With the $600 added, you are paying approx. $10,000.00. ($9924) (to be exact) over the 3 year period. It sounds pretty good to me. I don't know what a three year old ($21,000.00 new) Matrix would be worth...but if a lease is what you need as to a purchase, then it sounds A.O.K. If you have a business and are writing off the lease payments, that's even better.
    I, personally, always buy instead of leasing...but the hassle of negotiating the trade-in sometimes makes me wander if I,also, shouldn't lease instead.
    You didn't say if you had a trade-in???? If you only put $600 down, I assume you did not have a trade-in. What is the buy back figure at the end of the lease???
    Anyway...good luck with your new Matrix.
  • ironlineironline Member Posts: 1
    I reside in the Kingston Ontario area and would like to purchase a 2009 Matrix XR with an automatic transmission.

This would be a cash deal also.

How much would a fair price be to pay?
This discussion has been closed.