Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Matrix Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• shotoshoto Member Posts: 1
    I test drove several models at 2 dealer ships,and

After waiting for the end of year deals and researching every car in my price range I decided on the 2005 Matrix base model 4 cyl, 5 speed, I wanted and got roll up windows, and the color I wanted also.

Car,tax, tag everything out the door. $16,400 Plus -400 for my College. I was tired!!! and needed a car pretty bad, so $16,000.I hope I got a good deal???
  • saz_1saz_1 Member Posts: 30
    Hope that this info helps someone.

Bought:

2005 Matrix XR 2WD Automatic

QP Package

Floor Mats

$17,200 + TTL

$18,910 including TTL (Tax 9%)

$185 Gap Insurance

$19,095 Out the Door

Financed through Toyota at 4.4% for 60 months.
  • kabejkabej Member Posts: 2
    In DC metro area, there are a number of dealers who list "internet" prices without you interacting with a salesman. One in MD is currently quoting prices at $1000 under invoice (including mfgr's $500 rebate for 3/05). I worked a deal at Ourisman Fairfax for this price, but had to pay their $250 processing fee (about $150 more than the processing fee at the MD dealership). Got them to throw in floor mats and wheel locks, so not much real difference there. Ourisman has free servicing for two years, including a loaner car. So it all ended up being about $2300 under list. I'm ok with that!
  • angy168angy168 Member Posts: 18
    Is it true people are getting $1000 under invoice for Matrix. I got a quote from my local dealer (Long Island, close to NYC) for $500 above invoice for XR. And there is a $500 rebate? I think I should start get quote from other dealers.
  • gijoe8785gijoe8785 Member Posts: 1
    John Elway Toyota
    2005 Toyota Matrix AWD Auto
    -power package
    -cruise control
    -msrp$18,700
    Paid $18,000 (tax included)

Just let you guys know Matrix is a slow car but TRDUSA makes a supercharger (40+more HP) for about $1,000 (installation not included)
    I got a deal from Millenum Toyota (Hempstead, Long Island) for 05 XR auto (6-disc, ABS, sunroof) for $18000, which is about $53 above invoice. The only problem is they don't have the dark blue (Ingilo ink) that we want, and they need to do dealer swap and still haven't got back to me. Hopefully they are not playing trick on me.
  • louie_jlouie_j Member Posts: 11
    That price makes me feel a little better. Just yesterday I picked up an '05 XR auto (6-disc, ABS, sunroof) for about the same price (a little higher)at Westbury Toyota. I originally wanted the Indigo Ink, but I went with the Phantom Gray.

The Matrix is a cool little car. Made me reallize what a piece of crap my '02 Nissan was. I'm paying a little more a month than I really wanted to, but that's because I had to get out from under the loan I still had on the Nissan.

After spending the afternoon at the dealership, we made a deal and I drove the car home. Don't know if I got the best price but at least I don't feel like I got screwed in the process.
    Hi Louie,
    I went by Westbury Toyota last Sunday also, but they don't allow anyone to drive outside the lot since they are "out of dealer plate". Actually Millenum put 374 on top of the 18k, so it's more like 400+ above invoice. But I get an excellent price on my trade-in, and I am picking up my Indigo Ink this afternoon.
  • louie_jlouie_j Member Posts: 11
    Angy,
    I didn't have any problem going on a test drive at Westbury. Not only did I drive it around the side streets, but the salesman also let me take it on the parkway.
    Only thing I can think of is it was busy and all the dealer plates we out on other test-drives. Either way, that was a bad move by the dealer. They lost the sale.
  • dorybdoryb Member Posts: 2
    Lets stop quoting over invoice since it seems to vary by dealership. They don't include holdback, dealer incentives, etc.
    XR 2wd Auto
    I was quoted a drive off price of 17,671 (6 % tax included) but it's via email. The car has the value package 1 and 6cd changer. Nothing else.
    I'm in North Florida. When I show the dealers the consumer's reports wholesale price, the dealers in the SE states like to say they have an extra fee from the distributer and that they don't get there cars directly. All the toyota's land in my back yard! Our port is 30 miles from where I live! So invoice is still a mystery. I think I'm going to texas and drive one back.
  • mo5mo5 Member Posts: 8
    05 Matrix Auto Base w/ Power Package and Preferred Accessory Package.....16K out the door price. :)
  • samuelpmsamuelpm Member Posts: 2
    I landed a pretty sweet deal at Ira Toyota in Danvers, MA:

'05 Matrix XR with Value Package 2, 6-CD changer, all-weather package, mats, alarm, wheel locks:
    $15,702 (after $500 rebate)
    + TTL ($1,106)
    = $16,808
  • klinvaklinva Member Posts: 3
    Thanks to all who have posted here--your comments helped me to make a decision about which car to buy.

Ordered a 2005 Matrix XR 4spd Auto today, with Value Pkg #2, all-weather guard, side airbags, ABS, vehicle stability control, 6-disc CD, and mats from Leesburg Toyota. Edmunds Invoice price was $18,684, TMV: $19,294. I got it for $19,191, with a final total of $20,148.

I had to order the car because only 2 were available in a 5-state area with VSC. One of them did not have other options I wanted; the second was sold before I could make a deposit.

Initially, I went in to see about the 1 available car, having been told that they could get it for me with a $500 rebate that ended that day. But when I arrived at the dealership, they said it would be too late to get that car with the rebate, and couldn't tell me if the car was still available. The salesman was pushing me to go ahead and order it from them, but as I hadn't yet gotten all the quotes back, I said no.

By the next day, I had talked with 2 other dealers to get quotes on ordering. Even though the Leesburg dealership has a high processing fee ($299), they still came in less than either of the other two.

All in all, it's been a good experience. I hope that the final purchase will go smoothly and am crossing my fingers that another rebate will be in effect to save me a bit more! :D
  • klinvaklinva Member Posts: 3
    FYI: Ourisman quoted me an offer within $100 of Leesburg's. Ourisman also offers some kind of free maintenance deal--free parts/labor for scheduled maintenance for 24mos/24,000m or something like that.
  • neo2neo2 Member Posts: 1
    Any buying experiences in the Pacific NW (Portland area) for a 2005 Matrix FWD XR?
    I'm getting a quote of $18,200 (after $500 rebate) for FWD XR auto, Extra Value pkg #2, Side/Curtain airbags, ABS, In-dash 6 CD changer and floor mats. It's $66 below TMV. Wanted to know if there was anyone out there with better quotes.
  • speedy777speedy777 Member Posts: 2
    Bought yesterday. 2005 Matrix, Phantom Grey, XR FWD with:
    1. QP 2- extra value package
    2. ABS
    3. Z1- carpet and cargo mat
    4. side/ curtain bags
    5. 6 CD changer

17833 (18333-500 rebate) before tax, license, etc. 19580 OTD. For some reason my dealer said he couldn't get me a car in Bay Area with VSC. What's up with that? Still went ahead and bought it. Thanks to everyone's price posts. Dealer is Melody Toyota in San Bruno.
  • charlie752charlie752 Member Posts: 2
    Bought from Herb Chambers, Brighton, MA:

2005 Matrix XR, Fwd, 5 Spd Manual
    QP - Extra Value Package #2
    EV - 6 CD Changer
    CK - All Weather Guard Package
    FE - 50 State Emmissions

OTD Price: $16,756.80 w/ taxes and fees (new plates etc.)
    :shades:
  • brandiybrandiy Member Posts: 1
    05 Matrix Base - Automatic, Power Package, Security System, Preferred Accessories Package, Cruise Control, and All Weather Guard for 16,100 in the Seattle, WA area. Priced on Edmunds and got an Edmund's dealer quote from three different dealers and negotiated via the internet from there. Entire time in dealership was less than one hour. The most painless buying experience that I have ever had.
  • ranmanranman Member Posts: 4
    I received an internet quote for a '05 Matrix XR AWD with:

QP, BE, EV, FE, and Z1 for $19,144 (with incentive).

For my area, and Indigo Ink Pearl paint, the invoice is $19144 and TMV is $19903.

Is this a reasonable quote?
  • gman007mdgman007md Member Posts: 1
    I just got my 2005 base Matrix with automatic, power package, cruise, tinted windows and mats. for $14900. I live in south Florida and bought it from the internet department at Maroone Toyota in Weston.
  • bertopksbertopks Member Posts: 4
    Hi charlie - when you say OTD (w/taxes and fees) do you mean you bought the car from the dealer and then registered it w/the state, got your plates, paid sales tax and after all that the total was 16756.80? or was that the final price of the car from the dealer?
    I have been quoted a price of $16193 after $500 rebate for:
    2005 Matrix XR with:
    50 state emissions
    all weather guard package
    6 disc in-dash CD w/6 speakers
    Value package 2 (alloy wheels, sunroof) power everything

Is this a good deal? add $200 for doc fee

Thanks!
  • ranmanranman Member Posts: 4
    I was also given another quote of $18,694.00.

I was told this price is 3% over Invoice. It includes the $400 rebate for:

2005 Matrix XR AWD with:
    50 state emissions
    Value package 2 (QP)
    Side Airbags (BE)
    6-disc CD changer (EV)
    Floor mats / cargo mat / bumper protector (Z1)

I was told that the MSRP for the car is $19,531.00.

This is better than the previous quote I received, but is it a good deal?

Thank you.
  • riveting1riveting1 Member Posts: 1
    I just paid $17100 for the same model at Boch Toyota in Norwood, MA, but that dealership may be worth the extra $1000.
  • jimrludwigjimrludwig Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    Gee, that sounds pretty good from what I have been quoted over the phone (OTD of 20,588). What is you location? Is it worth travelling to a larger dealer, or can they make deals the smaller ones cant? This is the first new car my wife and I have ever considered, and we are wanting to get the best deal. Any suggestions are welcome
  • 05trix05trix Member Posts: 1
    XR FWD

Cosmic Blue

Auto

Value Pkg 1
    6 cd
    bumper guard
    mats
    cover
    alarm

16600 after rebate

Not as good as some of the deals I've seen here but rebate is less (300) and the demand for 4 bangers in this area is sky high

Did not want alloys or sunroof
  • mcfiddishmcfiddish Member Posts: 1
    We just bought a base model 2005 Matrix from Glendale Toyota, with power package (PO) and preferred options package (Z1) for $15791, and total price, including tax, license fees, etc, was $17316.
    I don't know about your dealership. This one is also offering a 10 year / 100,000 mile warranty on the powertrain.
  • carglowcarglow Member Posts: 91
    Anyone finance their Matrix for 72 months? Is it hard to qualifiy for a 72 month loan from Toyota?
  • charlie752charlie752 Member Posts: 2
    The OTD price I paid at the dealership was $16756.80 which included the delearship registering it w/the state, getting the plates, as well asthe sales tax on the car. They even threw in a full tank of gas. I made sure that the final price the dealer qiuoted included all of these - basically the taotal price to have the car completely ready to drive off the lot. :shades:
    Wow - that IS a great deal. the best I've managed is $16, 200 + 200 doc fee + tags, title etc. Way to go. Any secrets?
  • practicalguypracticalguy Member Posts: 2
    Here's a quick summary of useful things I learned, shopping for a Matrix or similar car. I wanted good gas mileage (30+ mpg), 4 doors, plus a wagon door (flat; not a hatchback) my dog could hop into easily.

-Amazingly, the Toyota Matrix was the only car on the market from a reputable maker that fit this description. VW's Jetta might have been better (except for issues about diesel), but they had just discontinued the Jetta wagon. Subaru seems to own the wagon market but I object to their mandatory 4WD because of gas mileage.

-For the Matrix XR, in Colorado at least, for any combination of 4wd vs. 2wd and auto vs. manual, there are only two options choices: (A) Extra Val Pkg #1 (i.e. very little) and (B) Fully loaded -- QP (E.V. Pkg #2), AB (ABS), BE (side airbags), EV (6-CD), CK (All-weather). I chose combination (B). In addition mine had Z1 (mats & rear bumper protector). VSC is not an option in Colorado. Roofracks may not even exist for this car (it was listed as an option when I first investigated). 17" wheels are not an option either, and turns out I don't want them (the metal is larger, not the tire. It's for racing types).

-Sunday: I submitted quote requests at Cars Direct, Autobytel, Car Prices, Auto Web, and Edmunds. Each one gave me a different list of local dealers. Some gave me NO local dealers, so I used a different zip code instead. Cars Direct seemed best to me: more detailed information and more appropriate choices. The others looked like they were written with an outdated template. Also, Cars Direct sent me to a great dealer (see below).

-Monday: I received quotes from two dealers. They were within about $50 of each other. I selected the car color I actually wanted (guy #1) and attempted to bargain the price down to match the other guy. Unfortunately, the other guy never gave me a VIN which left guy #1 unconvinced and he stuck by his price.

-Tuesday: I went ahead and bought from guy #1. This was Stevinson Toyota in Lakewood (near Denver), CO. I was very pleased with this dealership. Straightforward, honest, informative. They went ahead and knocked $50 or so off the price (matching the lower quote) even after I had declared willingness to buy. I recommend this dealer.

-TMV (see Edmunds "True Market Value" article) for this car (XR, 2WD, auto, combo (B)) was $18,698 after the $300 Toyota customer cash rebate.
    -Actual price paid ("OTD" = out the door) was 18,248 (after rebate) + 300 dealer fee + 1538 tax = $20,086. Note that price was about $450 under TMV.
    -Surprisingly, it took about 2 hours to do the purchase, even though I had made up my mind to purchase before I arrived. About 60 min. inspecting/driving the car, 60 min. of paperwork and the final salesman trying to sell me extended warranties (easy to deal with - "Just say no". And I still recommend this dealer).
    -Note: your tax depends on your home address, not the address where you buy the car.
  • msshellnlbmsshellnlb Member Posts: 1
    when did you purchase your vehicle. from my research i have not found any incentives or rebates on this car. I'm planning on buying near Philadelphia PA in the next 2 weeks
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    Keep in mind that whatever programs are in place today end today. End of the month and all... The new programs will be released tomorrow.

Toyota Ken
  • practicalguypracticalguy Member Posts: 2
    I bought the car on June 21. If the $300 rebate has expired by now, I wouldn't be surprised if Toyota comes up with another one later in the summer. In May I was visiting dealers, and they tried to rush me to buy by pointing out there was a $500 rebate at the time. I never let coupons, rebates, etc. influence my purchases and this is one time I am really glad. If I had rushed, I wouldn't have discovered the great savings one can get by getting quotes through the internet.
  • fop47fop47 Member Posts: 1
    go thru lendingtree.com for financing
  • capitanocapitano Member Posts: 509
    It's called a low ball. They give you that price to get you in the door. It's the same with the screamer ads in the paper. They give you that incredible price because they know customers tend to run around town with that magic price trying to beat it by $50 or $100.

Better to research and find a reasonable price you are willing to pay and make an offer than asking the dealership for their best price.
  • nwjeffornwjeffor Member Posts: 8
    I sincerely thank you for all your posts and such. I can't say enough good things about you and about this web site. It was a fabulous help in this car buying process.

We just picked up a 2005 Matrix XR with FE, BE, CK, EV, AB, QP, and Z1 through the internet department at Gresham Toyota. We paid $18,704 OTD (about $150 less than TMV from edmunds.com), including TT&L (no sales tax in Oregon!!) It seems that Toyota only includes Side and Curtain airbags with the QP (Extra Value Package #2), so we also got the moonroof ... it's a nice extra in a great car. We could have done better if there had been any rebates in our area, but I'm happy with the deal we got.

We could not find the car locally in the color we wanted, but our salesperson worked hard to find an "A Trade" for us. That's an electronic swap in inventory (sometimes before the car is even built) that won't cost you the $250 or so "finder's fee," which is ridiculous.

The car drives great and we just love it. No regrets here, at all, with our Matrix.

We did, however, find some dealers that were not honoring the $800 MSRP discount on the Extra Value Package #2. One salesman in Salem told me flat out that I was lying to him about it, so I just went elsewhere. I knew I'd be walking out when he said, "There is no way you know what we paid for this car!" I responded that it's public information on the web, then left. We found much better deals in the big city (Portland) than we did in the surrounding smaller towns with Toyota dealerships.

The bottom line is don't go into that dealership without your TMV report and your own financing. We secured financing through Capitol One/Costco at a great interest rate. They told me that Toyota Financial couldn't beat it until the Finance Director at the dealership decided last minute to beat it by 0.25%. So, get the best deal on financing you can on your own and don't talk financing unless they show you a better deal.
  • shadowmicashadowmica Member Posts: 21
    I am getting a 2006 XR for $500 over invoice. In My Area,( Northeast) There are very few 2006's on the lots and as soon as they come in they are gone. I tried three dealers and only two would deal.

Was wondering what kind of prices you guys have paid and are paying.

Mine has a sticker of $19280 and I got them down to $18181.

That is under the Edmunds TMV Price but higher than I would normally like to pay.

Lets here from ya.

Thanks
  • charlotte7charlotte7 Member Posts: 144
    Wow, was that $14,900 out the door?
  • matrixbmatrixb Member Posts: 1
    I received a quote for a 2006 XR 2WD Auto with ABS, Extra Value Package #1, All Weather Guard and Mats for $17,000 + 290 Dealer Fee + Tax. TMV was $17,652 and Cars Direct target price was $17,160. Any thoughts? :confuse: Thanks in advance.
  • bobmac113bobmac113 Member Posts: 1
    I BOUGHT MY 2005 XR IN JULY 2004 FULLY LOADED FROM CARS DIRECT.COM AND THOUGHT I GOT A REALLY GOOD PRICE. ALSO WHAT A GOOD WAY TO BUY A CAR. ALL DONE ON LINE.... JUST WENT AND PICKED IT UP.
  • foghat81foghat81 Member Posts: 5
    I'd see about getting rid of that dealer fee. Or at least reducing it. Carsdirect price most often INCLUDES the dealer advertising allowance. So anything they're getting on top of that is extra.

It's OK to pay title/tags/doc fee of $75-150 (depending on your area), but $290 is a little much.

Tell them to do it for $17160+tax.
  • vknortheast1vknortheast1 Member Posts: 1
    We are getting an XR 2006 2WD with Package 2 for 18241...Please let us know if you get it for any better price.
  • techtechtechtech Member Posts: 11
    Me too one of the dealer offering me XR 2006 2WD with Package 2 for which is $100 above their invoice which is 18278 plus tax.tag. otd price would be 20000
    any better price.
  • mudlumpmudlump Member Posts: 11
    I just bought a 2006 Matrix XR with Extra Value Package 2 and Mats. MSRP was $18,202. I live in Corpus Christi and queried all of the dealers in Dallas/FtWorth, Austin, San Antonio, Houston, and of course Corpus. Almost all of the dealers would not budge off of MSRP. Only a few would even give $200 - $300 internet discount. Champion Toyota of Austin offered $16,973 price and I went with them.
    TTL put it up to $18,253... their document fee was $50. This was an awesome buying experience. They do a very high volume and the place was very crowded with people picking up their cars. I highly recommend them! Also, they did not require a deposit......

After I had already made the deal with Champion in Austin and was waiting a couple of days to pick it up, Cavender Toyota in San Antonio offered me the exact same selling price. Don't know how they are about document fees.

It's very funny that Champion Toyota of Corpus Christi were total jerks about the MSRP price since it's one big corporation. The guy there had the nerve to tell me that they HAD to stick with MSRP because they are selling every car before they get it and they just can't get enough cars.... yeah yeah yeah....

Anyway, Go Champion, As long as you go to Austin!!!!
  • charlotte7charlotte7 Member Posts: 144
    I live in Austin, so thanks for the information!
  • mudlumpmudlump Member Posts: 11
    You're welcome! I used CarsDirect to get my quotes so you get the "internet" price. It may be better than walking up to a salesperson.... I don't know.
    Good luck!! :D
  • keptnamekeptname Member Posts: 51
    Hi,

I purchased a 2006 Toyota Matrix XR 2wd for 18,700 in July. Here are the options we added and it had to be factory built:
    -Extra Value package #2
    -Rear Spoiler
    -Cargo mats
    -Side Airbags
    -6CD w/6 speakers

Unfortunately we still haven't received the car. I finally had to put in a call to the regional office about this. The person from the office was great. She told me the truth about why our dealer wouldn't give us a delivery date and said she would personally put in an order for a car if the dealership did not improve how they were handling my sale. I should have my car by the 2nd week of November. If you plan to purchase a car in the Triad area, stay on top of things. I've had horrible experiences with two dealerships already.
  • sco123sco123 Member Posts: 2
    :confuse: Hi,
    I just purchased Matrix 2006 Base 2wD with power doors and power windows for 16700. (out of the door price). Which is couple of hundred dollars less then invoice price. Am i getting a good deal?
This discussion has been closed.