Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

MINI Cooper Prices Paid

Comments

• mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    $600 doc. fee

Welcome to Florida. In this state, "doc fees" are not regulated so the dealers can charge whatever they want. On some vehicle purchases I've been able to negotiate the purchase price accordingly, but the invoice will always have it pre-printed. There excuse is that if they waive the fee for me, the next minority will sue them for charging it. But on a hot seller such as the Mini, you can try to negoitiate, but I doubt you'll have much luck.

Florida, in particular Orlando, is fast becoming a snake pit, so wear gloves and be sure to shower after the negotiations.
  • rik4rik4 Member Posts: 90
    tell him to keep the car and drive to pa and get one. you will have the fun of driving it back and save the 600.00
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,740
    Flight, plus gas back to Florida, one night in a motel room, plus 1000 extra miles on your new car... all to save $600?

Not me..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• kwma3kwma3 Member Posts: 11
    My friend and I are both in the market for a MINI S and MINI Clubman S. What price are people getting in the bay area? Dealer/Salesperson recommendation is welcome. Thanks.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    sticker or higher on minis in california. if you do better than sticker on a mini in ca, you've got a very nice friend...
  • fatafata Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the advice on the doc fees. At least I'm not the only one that's paying that ridiculous fee. I thought about asking them to discount the fee or else I'll go with my bank's financing. Not sure if it will work but it's worth a try. I live in Tampa and there's only the one in Palm Harbor and it was at least an hour wait before a sales person could help me. He told me right away that they don't discount cars so it's full sticker and that at least they don't have other adds on like the dealership in Orlando.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    The financing won't make a difference, that's why they call it a "doc fee". Paying MSRP plus the $600 doc. fee probably isn't too bad, but I would work like heck to reduce it. I would even look at some of the other dealers from Jacksonville to Miami.
  • joem5joem5 Member Posts: 201
    Whats the warranty on Tranny and clutch or plate.
    Also, the Mini is not a snow car,no way. TY my friends :shades:
  • triostrios Member Posts: 2
    If I were able to pay for a Mini S with cash, how much money would that save me? Could I walk in with 3-5K less than listed and walk out with my Mini??
    Nope. Cash only deals cost dealers money. They have less interest in selling a car to you for cash than financing a car.

And with sales up 34% over last year, you won't get money off on one, no matter what.
  • ponderpointponderpoint Member Posts: 277
    "Nope. Cash only deals cost dealers money. They have less interest in selling a car to you for cash than financing a car."

True, but only on cars selling reasonably well. If you start getting "car lot queens", like S.Huge.V's lately, they'll begrudgingly negotiate. It's a poker game, and the table is in their cigar smoke filled basement - their only advantage, feel free to walk out.

Apple Acura in York, PA tried to portray the Acura TL has a hot seller back in the Fall of 2006 when I knew sales were actually dismal. I offered them a cash offer, thousands off MSRP and they looked at me like I was a crackpot. A short drive down to the greater Baltimore area and my assessment of Acura TL sales was correct, the salesman immediately went to Edmunds.com and we negotiated from there. I remarked about a cash deal and negotiations went fever pitch. This was at Criswell Acura outside Baltimore. Tischer Acura had the same result and was much closer to my home and I ended up getting it there.

A similar situation is now developing with Mini but it's topsy-turvy, the places like Pittsburgh are more reasonable while Baltimore sales are great and the salesmen are smug, it won't always be that way and I'll remember their attitudes in the future.

Failure to recognize that market conditions change and failure to realize you may desperately need the customer in the future are the unforeseen enemies of the shafty salesmen.
  • triostrios Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it and will definitely keep it in mind.
    Selling for cash doesn't benefit a Mini dealer. Ever. If you have 30k to drop on a car, odds are good you can get into the car on a loan. The loan benefits them even if you pay it off early. There is nothing to be gained by selling a Mini for cash and certainly not cash + discount.
    Any bay area buying group?
  • slotibartfastslotibartfast Member Posts: 1
    Hi Minisg,

Would you mind sharing the name of your dealer? I'm in the Seattle south burbs and from what I've heard about NW Mini, I'd rather not deal with them. If you don't feel comfortable telling me the dealer or if it's against the rules here, how about the letting me know the area (Bellevue, Des Moines, Kirkland???).

Congrats on your new Mini. Looks like your wait is about half over!
  • fadygarciafadygarcia Member Posts: 1
    Congratulations on your victory.

I have the same problem.

Can you please tell me were you are getting your MINI from?

Thanks,

FG
  • mtmikeymtmikey Member Posts: 9
    Hi! I may be crazy, but I am thinking about trading my 2007 G35S Infiniti for a Mini Cooper S. I LOVE the look of the car and I am in the process of selling my house in Kirkwood and want to take a condo in Midtown. This would be a great car to run errands and for my infrequent trips out of town.

Let me know if you have any "real world" experience with Global Imports Mini or any other dealers here in Atlanta.

Thanks! :shades:
  • justgiulsjustgiuls Member Posts: 6
    Hi all.
    Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I recently test drove the Mini's and love it! I have decided that i am going to lease the car but am not sure whether or not they will budge on the price at all since i will probably have to order an 09. Was anyone able to get the price down? Also overall do you love the car? How well does the car drive in snow?? And finally which dealership in the Chicagoland area is best??
    Thanks for the assistance.
  • carlover3carlover3 Member Posts: 29
    I am very close to order/buy a new Cooper S. I live in San Jose/CA.
    I like to know if anyone has been able to order a new 09' Cooper S for MSRP or even lower than MSP in the BayArea ( due to the recent economy recession and uncertainty of near-future economy, etc.).
    If you were able to do that, please advise which Mini dealership offered the deal and under what conditions for the dealership to do such transaction.
    And how would you compare the deal/negotiations possible between an 09' Cooper S and an 08' Cooper S ?
    Thanks!
    Mini Lover ( near future!)
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    A reporter from a national newspaper would like to speak to consumers who have downsized their vehicle in the past year . If you moved from a larger vehicle to a smaller one, please respond to [email protected] with your daytime phone number by Thursday, October 16.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I am debating 50/50 if I want to get the Sunroof/Moonroof option.
    What's holding me back from getting this option is that there is a screen (and it slides I think) under the roof/glass, not a solid piece blocking the total sunlight from the driver.
    A couple things about the screen instead of a solid piece:
    - does it cause the unacceptable heat in the car on a high-temperature day ( like 75 degrees or above). I live in San Jose (South Bay Area of CA) ?
    - does it bother the driver occasionally/frequently because the constant sunlight coming the glass/roof into the car ? or that through-light is minimal enough that it does not bother driver on most Sunny days.
    Please give some advice- Thanks much!
    Mini Lover ( near future!)
  • anniebee1231anniebee1231 Member Posts: 1
    Where did you go to get the $1000 discount (if you had gotten the 2008)? I live in Seattle and have been working with NW Mini but I am waiting on a few other things to fall into place before buying. But I don't mind getting a 2008...I would LOVE to know!

Thanks!
    Does anyone have a suggestion for a chicagoland dealership??
  • jibittijibitti Member Posts: 1
    I live in the Chicago South Suburbs and I am waiting on a Clubman that I purchased mid-September. Ordered thru Bill Jacobs Mini/BMW in Naperville. Seams like a good dealership. People weren't bad to deal with. However, I have left a few messages recently with the salesperson to check-in and have not rec'd a call back. A little frustrating.
    Thanks for the advice, i am going to bill jacobs tomorrow to look at what they have, i have been going to patrick in schaumburg and am not completely sure if i like the way they are assisting me. were you able to get them down on the price a bit since you ordered it??
  • allenkballenkb Member Posts: 5
    Hi Guys I'm in the market for a new MINI. Unfortunately, there's only one local MINI dealership in my area. They have a 2008 demo left with 1,500 mileage. It comes with premium, sport, cold weather packages, and some other minor features. MSRP+Dest 24,450, and the dealer is giving a 750 discount. Is this a fair price for the car? I'm a little concerned about the demo. If I want to negotiate, what will be a good start point? Thanks!!!
  • aafflyeraafflyer Member Posts: 7
    You do not say where you are at, but to me that is NOT a good deal.

I would never buy a demo without a serious discount AND a free extended warranty built in. You know that that car has been "pushed" and did not have a nice easy break in.

As a point of reference, I ordered a 2009 MCS for $500 under MSRP.

If you are looking for a deal, and want to negotiate on the demo, then I would be looking for 2K off MSRP plus the free extended warranty. Then I'd try to get free extended maintenance too.

Good luck!
  • jennysassounijennysassouni Member Posts: 1
    Hi Allen (or anyone who's gotten a deal on a 2009 Mini Cooper Sport for under MSRP). I ordered my Mini a few months ago and was able to negotiate MSRP plus $500 dealer fee. It's supposed to be arriving in a few weeks but I don't believe I am locked into it. I would love to know where/which dealership negotiated BELOW MSRP... given the current economy/recession, I am thinking I am getting hosed by paying full MSRP plus any sort of dealer fee, even though a few months ago when I ordered it was nearly impossible to get any dealers to budge on dealer fee lower than $1000. Now, I am wondering if I can negotiate further, or if I should just go for a different car as there are so many deals out there with other brands... Advice anyone? Thanks!
    I am able to get an offer for MSRP w/o any additional fee, but I didn't jump on the deal. With the current economy, I am waiting for them to offer $1K below MSRP.
    Hi kwma, does your offered MSRP include the destination fee? You said w/o any additional fee so I'm not sure whether the dest is included or not. From what I heard the dest fee is something you have to pay, it's also in the MSRP suggested by miniusa.com. I'm kind of in in a bad shape because we need a new car in a week. We looked through several makes (honda, nissan, vw, mazda) but wife only want a MINI. Just like kwma said we probably can get a better price if we can afford to hold on because of the economy. But we can't. It's even worse that we have only one MINI dealership in town. If I can get them waive the dest and other fees I''ll jump in a heartbeat. I'd appreciate if anyone could give me any negotiation tips. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The price does include destination charge. Basically the amount you see on miniusa.com when you configure the car + your local tax and licensing fee. Good luck!
  • ltqltq Member Posts: 28
    I believe someone else asked you about your LOCATION - can't help much without that info. I just bought a Clubman S from Cincinnati MINI, and there, they sell the cars MSRP, e.g. as shown at the website (so that includes destination). Period. In fact, while I was signing my paperwork, the dealer stated that they just finished selling to two folks in CA, due to high markups on the west coast.
    No negotiating. I thought MSRP was fair, didn't expect any discount. It was fast, simple, and low-stress.
    I agree with aafflyer, that is NOT good deal. The MINI does have a significant break-in on brakes & engine (in contrast, some new cars don't, amazingly), so that demos - given the mindset of the MINI clientele - will have been driven very hard !!! I know that I drove the demos hard myself...... I don't know if an extended warranty will offset the undue wear&tear from rough handling during break-in period, because such abuse can affect the life/performance 'way after the warranty expires.
    Having said the above, the same is true of pre-owned cars. Some new owners are complete idiots, ignoring break-in instructions, especially those that lease (they know they don't have to worry about later life of the car), and some that are just plain juvenile. It is tempting to abuse a MINI when you first get it !!!!
    Thanks for the input. I'm from Indianapolis area and the only MINI dealership is Dreyer & Reinbold. Is it reasonable to ask them to waive all other dealer fees (if there's any, like doc fee) on top of MSRP (includes dest) ?
  • designgirl25designgirl25 Member Posts: 1
    I had a great experience buying my Mini Cooper and love the car however, every time i have had to bring it in to the White Plains, NY location for service - no matter how minor (I had two flat tires within two weeks) they make me leave the car ALL day, even with a scheduled appointment. No loaners, just a taxi drop off to one destination and back. This is so inconvenient. I live in the Westchester, NY area and I would like to find a dealership that offers better service (i.e. schedules appointments so that I could wait for service) even if it means a little bit of a drive. I don't want to use the one in White Plains anymore. Has anyone had the same experience I have had and can anyone recommend a service center that they have had good experiences with?
    Oh, so you're close. I was just in Indy last weekend. Nearest dealer to me - I'm in Louisville - is Cincinnati MINI. Held me back for quite a while to have the nearest dealer 90 mi away. Maybe you want to talk to them as well as Dreyer & Reinbold..... does D&R have a good rep? I know a few folks both here and in Cinci that thinks Cincinnati MINI is pretty good..... I will find out, I guess. As I said, they were straight up MSRP pricing.
    But it still holds that a demo MIGHT not be a good deal - what you're saying is having them waive the doc fess (about $250?) and dest ($650): I don't know, for about 3% of the price, is it worth it? If we were talking about a Lincoln Navigator or Camry demo, yeah it's only been softly driven. But a MINI ?!?! As stated before, I myself was quite tough on the demo (but I didn't go to D&R, so abused demos there are not my fault !!!)
    Finally bought and picked up a brand new 2009 cooper with 6 miles on it before my test drive. It comes with cold weather package, sunroof, multi-function steering wheel, bluetooth and ipod adapter. It's a shame MINI didn't put automatic A/C in it because the sunroof plus multi-func wheel cost the same with premium pac. couldn't figure out why, they don't want to give the auto A/C for free? D&R wouldn't budge even 1 cent, paid MSRP plus all the fees. Thanks for all your input, I think it would work out better if we have time to wait or place our own order, but it's time to forget about the price and enjoy the car!!!
  • minime23minime23 Member Posts: 1
    I'm paying MSRP on a mini cooper that is already in bound I didn't order it. It's supposed to arrive in the 3rd week of November. I'm paying MSRP at 22,300 but with taxes and all other fees it comes out to about 24,447. Is this a good price? The mini comes with the premium and cold weather packages and black bonnet stripes. I checked and it is the exact price it would be if you built it on miniusa.com. Please gimme some feedback.

Thanks!
    Hi minime23 and other current Mini Cooper buyers,
    Besides the MSRP of the car ( base + options) and its destination charge,
    what other dealer-fees are fair/reasonable/expected to buyers today ?
    I am seeing that different buyers may have paid different dealer-fees depending
    where they are localed in the US states.
    I live in San Jose, CA ( bayarea of CA) and in the market for a 2009 Mini Cooper S purchase.
    Thanks!
    CarLover always-
    MB CLK320 & Miata
  • oldboldpilotoldboldpilot Member Posts: 2
    I just leased an '09 Cooper S for December delivery with pretty much every available option other than auto trans, from full leather to sunroof to Sirius radio. MSRP was $31,500, plus the $650 delivery charge. Deal was done at MSRP (no additional dealer markup).

Here are the important numbers:

Cap cost reduction: $1500

Money factor (reduced slightly due to BMW "loyalty factor"): .00195

Residual: 72% on a 3-year, 10,000 miles/yr lease (would be 69% on 15,000 miles/yr)

Monthly payment: $370 including tax ($342 before tax)

Dealer was Bob Smith Mini near Los Angeles. Dealt directly with sales manager. Overall very pleasant experience. Can't wait to get the car!
    Did you also pay an acquisition fee or doc fees?
  • oldboldpilotoldboldpilot Member Posts: 2
    Yes, but I don't know exactly what they were at this moment as I don't have the documents handy. The quoted payment includes the fees, however.
  • nswartzbnswartzb Member Posts: 40
    you should think twice about trying to get out of your deal.
    if the economy was better and demand for coopers was going up, would you be mad and have the right to sue the dealer if he said he was able to get a higher price for your car, so he sold it to someone else? if the answer is yes, then you should honor your deal and pay for the car you ordered notwithstanding the downturn in the ecomony and demand for minis.
  • behrensbehrens Member Posts: 3
    The market here in Norther California has been really tough. I have been shopping for the last several months and hearing 1500 to 2000 over MSRP to start from the five area dealers. Today I got the deal I was looking for and placed my order for a 09 Chili Red base auto with black roof, mirrors and bonnet stripes. I was able to get a reasonable discount under MSRP with destination charge from Mark Schutten in Sacramento (let them know Dennis sent you)! Mark was great to work with and really the only dealer I found that was actively looking for orders. It should arrive in 8-10 weeks. In addition to government fees(sales tax, title/license, tire) I am paying $55 dealer doc fee. If your car is already ordered you can always ask for a discount or free extras when you go to pick it up. The worst they can say is no. The market is starting to thaw, good luck shopping and happy motoring.
    Hi behrens , This is very good info to have for Mini buyers. I've also been in the shopping market for a new Mini Cooper S. I live in San Jose (bayarea of CA), and have been hoping to get a discount for under MSRP. I noticed that my local Mini dealerships have been starting calling me (like twice per week) to push me coming in their shop to place a new Mini order.
    May I ask you how much is the discount you got off the MSRP ?
    And what is the name of the Sacramento Mini dealership that you ordered from ?
    ( is it the Niello Mini dealer ?). I google "Mark Schutten" to look for such a mini dealership but did not find anything related. By the way, what is the tire fee/tax ?
    Thanks much for your info.
    Car Lover!
    MB clk320
    Mazda Miata
    Hi all.
    I will probably be ordering my MINI next week! I'm really excited but can't decide if i should go with another car to save something, but i adore the MINI. The dealers here in IL are willing to throw in some accessories for me but keep the car at MSRP. What do you think? Go ahead with it?
  • behrensbehrens Member Posts: 3
    Carlover3,
    The only mini dealer is Sac. is Niello. I promissed Mark I would not say how much the discount was, however it was substantial and reasonable. The tire fee was $8.50 so I am ignoring it. You can get all the dealer contact info at miniusa.com.
    Good luck!
  • scottypalmerscottypalmer Member Posts: 3
    Was told by gentleman in so. cal that 2009's were going at $1000 over MSRP. Is this right? Has anyone got a 2009 under MSRP? I have a feeling I should be able to get a 2009 at MSRP...am i right?

Also told that the new 2008 Cooper (base) they still had on the lot was going for MSRP, no less? Is this possible? Need some insight.
    At or below. Nothing in so cal (well maybe a GT-R) sells to a sensible buyer for above sticker.
  • whiskerychiefwhiskerychief Member Posts: 3
    I have an '09 MCS on order, leasing at MSRP and security deposit was waived!! With all options, stickers for 29,600. Two year lease, 2.5K down, 10K mileage@ for 398@ month, good deal or not, any thoughts?? :confuse: