Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

MINI Cooper Prices Paid

Comments

• rik4rik4 Member Posts: 90
    here in eastern pennsyltucky one dealer has 1000.00 off on 2008 minis.
  • martintmartint Member Posts: 12
    I just ordered a clubman S from Bob Smith Mini near Los Angeles to lease.
    $1700 drive off, 67% residual 10K miles a year. Price was MSRP $24,700, $351 a month including tax. I thought it was reasonable.

Before I ordered I went to Universal Mini. Told them what I wanted. They came back with.....get ready for this.....$3000 markup,$1000 lojack, $300 for nitrogen for tires, $5300 drive off and $461 a month!!!! That is a difference of around $12,000 on a $24,700 car!! When I told them of the deal I had at Bob Smith they came back with almost same deal as Bob Smith except payment was $363/month. They dropped all the other markups and charges. I think we know what dealer to stay away from.
  • gadfly3gadfly3 Member Posts: 1
    I'm interested in a Mini but whenever I go look at the NWMINI site's inventory there is nothing short of $26K ranging up to $41k. Can you get a Mini Convertible (s or not) in the Northwest for anything like MSRP?

regards,
    Adam
  • skylersskylers Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have a question for anyone that custom-orderd a Mini and purchased it with outside financing (not the dealer) or cash. Did the dealer still require you to fill out a credit application? The dealer I visited in southern California told me that it's required, in addition to the deposit ($1000). Is it a standard requirement to apply for credit before being able to order a Mini? She told me that it's for their protection, but that got me thinking- isn't that what the deposit is for?
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Be careful - they're gonna play games with you. Tell them you have your own financing - which you should probably get anyway through a CU as BMWFS isn't offering anything on Coopers.
  • behrensbehrens Member Posts: 3
    Skylers,
    I ordered one in Nov. from a Northern Cal dealer and we never discussed a credit application. Have you checked with other area dealers to see what they are doing? It may be that just this dealer requires it. It seems reasonable if they want to make sure your qualified for financing on the car you are ordering. However, I suspect the main reason they want to know your credit limit is that way they can push options, packages and cool extras on you until you are maxed out. Definately get preapproved from another financial institution so you can defend yourself against any dealer games. The deposit is fully refundable and does not protect the dealer if you order something out of your price range.
  • fierketfierket Member Posts: 6
    I agree with getting your own financing. I picked up my 09 MCS about a month ago from Motor City Mini in Shelby MI. They handled the financing but because of the rates offer by BMWFS it was much better to go with a local CU that they deal with. I got 5.6% on a 60mo loan.
  • edmunds4mk25edmunds4mk25 Member Posts: 14
    Considering year end is just around the corner, what would be a good deal for a 2009 Mini Cooper base model with absolutely NO add-ons/pkgs/upgrades. I priced this on the mini website it came to 19200 MSRP (Chili Red/White roof).

Maybe it doesn't matter, but I'll be financing my self.

Any tips on where I can get a deal will be much appreciated. Mini of Woodlands? Momentum Mini? Mini of SanAntonio?

Thanks!
  • whiskerychiefwhiskerychief Member Posts: 3
    Custom ordered a MCS at the end of Oct. supposed to take delivery next week!! No credit app. $500 deposit......Flow MINI Winston-Salem, NC :)
  • rickety6rickety6 Member Posts: 1
    for those looking at MINI's, there's nothing out there right now less than MSRP. That's just the way they do it. I bought Jan. 2 (HT w/ Sport seats and upgrade Steering Wheel which was already on the car) @ MINI of Sterling, Virginia. Salesman took me over to their storage lot which was loaded with Minis. I asked why they had so many - he replied they've been buying other dealer's inventory. I had a really good choice with many of the HT at BASE configuration. Sales rep. remarked they don't discount, but they don't do dealer add-ons either. BTW, the dealership is a stone's throw from Dulles airport and he said they'd pick you up if they know you're coming. Check their website for inventory and 800 phone #
  • mwrussellmwrussell Member Posts: 5
    Depends on where you are looking. Just a few days ago I was offered $2500 off an 09 Clubman S model and $3000 off of a JCW Mini S. This is in Oklahoma City. For what it's worth the prices were quoted to me prior to introducing a trade-in.
  • kajakkajak Member Posts: 1
    On Dec 6 I was offered $ 350 off MSRP on 09 Cooper at Patrick MINI in Chicago. I asked also for taking off 175 doc fees and they said my pricing was too aggressive. This car was their lowest priced 09 MINI Cooper with auto trans and according to dealer, received quite a bit of interest from other customers. Its Jan 4, and this car is still listed on their inventory. I will wait .... I like Minis, but they should not cost more than $16000.
    I like Minis, but they should not cost more than $16000.

You may be shopping at the wrong place. Honda's Fit is more in keeping with your pricing expectations.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,359
    are you still lovin' your Cooper S?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• rik4rik4 Member Posts: 90
    you should be able to get 1K off now. inventories are climbing and bmw just dump a load of coporate minis for dealers to sell. so look at some used ones they get the corporate ones for a good price. In fact they ill make more on them than a new one. hold you ground .
    NYC I'm at 22 months with my cooper s and it's still a hoot to drive. My 5 week old isn't afraid of it yet - the crazy dance of his car seat to get in the back will either make him a fighter pilot or afraid of roller coasters. My wife is gently pushing me to consider at least a 3 series so we can have two cars with decent room for all of us. I must admit I almost took an M3 the other day at $600 a month lease - hard to say no to that kinda car for so little.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    " I almost took an M3 the other day at $600 a month lease"
    $600/mo???????????????
    How much down?
    A new M3 base = almost $55K...
    - Ray
    Very curious.
    2022 X3 M40i
    Title, license, 1 refundable security deposit and acquisition fee. - about 1800 total.

2008 M3s are getting at least 6k off MSRP. I've seen some as much as 10k off MSRP. This was a fairly low content model at 59k and the dealer would accept 52500 on Dec 31. With a money factor of 0.00025 and 56% residual (10k a year lease), the payments were $605 a month. If for some reason I was going over miles I could buy more or just aim to buy the car outright. Heck, with a 0.6% finance charge I was getting the car at a cut rate.

I would actually prefer an even more stripped M3. Totally base. There's nothing I really would want on it that isn't standard.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    Very interesting...
    Thanks!
    - Ray
    Thinking this means some BMW
    dealers, at least, really do need sales........
    2022 X3 M40i
  • jenny16jenny16 Member Posts: 1
    Have you gotten the price you want? or even close?
    They were off 40% for December. Only Mini gained in December - by 4 cars!
  • edmunds4mk25edmunds4mk25 Member Posts: 14
    Probably not considering you should be able to get around $500-$700 off MSRP in Dallas.
  • jeremyljeremyl Member Posts: 5
    Kuni in Portland was $500 under MRSP for Cosco plan when I checked a while ago. Kinda gave up for a while so I dont know if that is still the case. Wife is interested again so she should be test driving today.
  • Don_CDon_C Member Posts: 8
    I am considering getting a 2009 Clubman (maybe S, maybe not). I can go 200 miles north to Indianapolis or 198 miles northeast to Cincinnati. Neither are showing a car I want on their web sites, so I probably will have to order it.

I have chatted on the phone and passed e-mails with both dealerships and so far have no reason to choose one over the other. Indy is in state so the paperwork might be simpler (minor issue, for sure) and has promised a loaner car on days of routine maintenance, so I could spend some time kicking around Indy while the car is in the shop. Have not talked to Cincy about that.

My main concern is warranty work from a dealer that far away. Bad tires or a problem that makes the car unsafe to drive that far could be a problem.

Do I need to be concerned about this?

TIA
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    The MINI dealer in Cincinnati is also my local BMW dealer. They provide loaners for service, etc... They also wouldn't have any problems dealing with Indiana paperwork, as the state line is only 20 miles away, and they have many customers from Indiana.

I'm not familiar with the MINI dealer in Indianapolis, so I can't give you any help there, one way or the other..

I would talk to someone specifically about inventory before assuming they don't have an acceptable unit based on the website. Cincinnati MINI seems to have 30-40 MINIs in stock at any one time..

I like the Cincinnati dealer for service, etc.. Very efficient, helpful, etc.. Price is less of an issue with a MINI, as most dealers stick with MSRP.

From the mileage, I'm guessing you live somewhere along the Ohio River in the far southern part of the state.. The issue about not having a local dealer is one that I've never had to deal with.. You can get tires from any local shop, but a mechanical breakdown might be an issue. You might try discussing that with a sales associate at either dealership, to see if they have any info on how that would be handled. I can see where that might stop you from getting a MINI.

Are you really 200 miles from Indianapolis? (doesn't seem possible from the south?) If so, you might consider Nashville, which might be slightly closer, depending on the highways necessary to get there.. (and less chance of winter weather issues).

Good luck!
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I am just outside of Louisville, on the Indiana side of the Ohio River. Nashville is also about the same distance from Indy and Cincy so it is an option as well. I tend to think north rather than south, but that is a lifestyle kind of thing.

I am planning to drive to Indy on Monday and visit. I'd have time to then drive to Cincy, although I expect I'd hear the same story. Both are apparently reputable dealers with no particular difference between them. We'll see how it goes.

I am trading in my 1997 Z3 thinking it would be good to part with it before it gets to 100,000 miles (psychological values being what they are).

Thanks for the information!
    That isn't too far then.. just a couple hours...

Good luck with it!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

My dealer is 35-40 miles away. That is a major hassle when there is any kind of problem with the car. One day a warning came on my 2007 Cooper S during my drive to work - 2 problems at once:

1. There isn't a San Diego dealer so I was faced with driving through rush hour to get out of the city for service.
    2. I called the dealer and they told me I could bring the car in but they had no idea when it would get looked at or if I could get a loaner (even though I bought from them).

I wasn't real thrilled with losing a day of work because my car had warning lights telling me ABs/traction control was disabled/broken.

Also, when I take the car in for planned service (4 service appointments in 22 months of ownership), this pretty much slaughters half a Saturday. The drive up, the wait to get the car processed and get the loaner (always the cheapest, lowest form of cooper with an automatic) and drive home = 2.5 hours gone. Then the eventual drive back up, re-gas the loaner, return it, go through the brouhahah with with the SA, wait for the car to get returned (always 20 minutes after I finish with the SA) and the drive home.

This is one big reason why the Cooper S Clubman won't be replacing my Cooper S. I do not like having to waste huge amounts of time getting to and from a dealer. And with only one dealer locally, they have zero interest in providing good customer service. There's no competition and that's always bad for customers.

Just something to keep in mind. After years with BMWs and access to several dealers within 10 minutes of my home, I find I do not relish another dealer network that's so sparse (our audi has the same problem).
    Couple of other things to note about Cincinnati..

1) Loaners: For scheduled service at least one week out are almost always available... Unscheduled could be an issue..

2) The dealer charges $0.15 per mile on loaners to cover fuel... .That way, you don't have to fuel up near the dealer.. If you happen to fuel up, they will reimburse you...

3) Great lease deals on 135i coupes and convertibles right now, if you wanted to go that way, instead... that way you have a local dealership (Louisville). Of course, if you've had your current car since '97, then leasing probably isn't for you..

I have to agree with blueguy... Not sure I'd risk buying a car where the closest dealer is two hours away... but, that's easy to say, when my local area has everything but Ferrari, Lambo and Aston..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Brain burp there. Indy and Cincy are 120 miles, 2 HOURS away. Don't know why I got that 2 working wrong!

My wife would like a Mini and another strong advocate is my mechanic who has and LOVES his convertible. I've only had the Z3 for a couple of years, but it at 94000 miles it is showing some wear and tear with the possibility of needing some work. Plus, it's just an old car now (features).

There is a shop in town who specializes in BMW and MINIs but would probably not be able to do warranty work.

Thanks for the comments. I have the advantage of not really needing a replacement right now, so I can go up and do a test drive with no pressure at all on deciding whether to buy something. When I do make the change, it will be my drive around in retirement car (late 2009!) which will be cheaper to run than the wife's Quest. If we could just get a dealer HERE!
    I love my mini but there are sacrifices to go with it. If I merely wanted a run-about I'd strongly consider a Fit. I like pushing cars and the Cooper S can be wrung out...
  • mtmikeymtmikey Member Posts: 9
    Saw on the Global Imports Mini website that they are running 2009 Mini Coopers at $500 below MSRP. I guess the market has slowed even for them!
    Decided to see what the excitement was about, so on Monday, drove the two hours up to Indy to look over the Clubmans. Kinda wanted a Clubman S manual, but they had none. We drove a manual coupe, a basic Clubman auto and an S Clubman automatic.

They did have a basic automatic in Nightfire Red with cream interior accents and black top and stripes. Sport seats and bluetooth were nice additions. We decided that we REALLY liked that car.

The new car bug bit real hard. The rational, "This is too far for service" and "The features we really want ..." and "I really should buy American to help OUR economy" all went by the wayside when I compared the thought of driving home in that sparkling red Clubman vs driving home in the 97 Z3. I'm not a high performance kind of driver so I think the basic will serve me well.

Worst case warranty issues seem to be addressed by both MINI and the dealer. I would still be pretty inconvenienced for less than critical problems but I guess I'll just gamble that I won't have those.

So I'm a member of the club. Gonna pull out the manual and go through the feature list again to be sure I know what all the buttons are for and how to use the hands free phone system. Much to learn!

Next is checking the forum for any discussions about grade of gas.
    Congrats!

The MINI sport seats are awesome! Plus, it sounds like maybe you've got regular tires with a spare... can't beat that!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

The manual of the new base Clubman says that AKI91 gas is preferred but the car can take as low as 87. Being more of a "commuter driver" than a "sport driver" would I notice any difference between 91 and 89 gas?

I know that some sources claim that 91 is a waste of money, other say that the car performs noticeably better using the higher grade. It is possible that the latter comment refers only to the higher performance engines than what I have.

The last comments about gas that I found on a search here are a couple of years old and thought I'd see what the opinions are for the more current engines. My first refill is a few days away so I thought I'd be ready.

TIA
    Yes, you can use 87. The engine will produce even less power (the ecu will retard the car's power so you don't damage the engine) and it will be less efficient. With gas so cheap, i can't fathom why people would buy a car and then worry about $3 a fill-up. If $150 a year makes that much difference, maybe a new car isn't the best economic choice?

I fill up my Cooper S 3 times a month. Always with premium. Then again, I find the power in my Cooper S to be adequate - but I push it to 4-5k rpm on most shifts. I would notice less HP.
    Point made.
    Point taken.
    First refill ... just over 33 mpg which includes 100 miles of straight highway driving at varying speeds (break in recommendation) and the rest commuting with some highway speeds and some slow traffic.

Filled with 91.
  • bpraxisbpraxis Member Posts: 292
    Hello everyone and I hope that you are having a great day.

I am interested in ordering a new 2009 base Cooper that would have an MSRP of approximately $20,050.00.

The best discount that I have been offered for a factory order is $330.00 inclusive of all dealer fees.

Is this the going market price given the current market environment and what should I expect?

I live far away from the closest dealership and am concerned about potential problems. How reliable is the Mini?

With appreciation and kind regards,
  • 24whitesox24whitesox Member Posts: 1
    I've done a lot of research on the Mini and it appears that you are getting a pretty good deal. I was offered 250 off the msrp and 125 floor mats. :)
    Any suggestions for good places to sell a used 2007 Mini Cooper S?

Auto Trader
    Craigs List
    And...?
  • wilemakeitwilemakeit Member Posts: 17
    Ebay is a great place and you can also try Craig's list but becarfull of the scams on Craigs list. I have bought 6 cars on Ebay! No I am not a dealer just have lots of kids.....:)
  • keygokeygo Member Posts: 38
    I am afraid I ran into a scam yesterday. My daughter is looking for her first car and found one on line by a private seller that was too good to be true. Well, when we contacted the seller, we got a story about putting half the money in Yahoo Auto and the car would be sent to us with us having 3 days to take it to a mechanic before the sale was completed. It didn't seem right so my wife got on line and found the exact same thing happens all the time except no car shows up and the down payment is gone. Needless to say, we went no further. Armed with this new outlook, we quickly foundseveral other Mini's that appear to be in the same category. Lesson to my daughter, if it seems to good to be true it may well be too good to be true. Oh well, back to looking and saving.
  • linderslinders Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 06 cooper conv. in March of 08. The closest dealer is about 2 hours away in Indianapolis. I took my car there for warranty work and the service was great. I asked for a loaner car and they had a car rental company bring a car to me. When my car was finished, it was washed and vacumed. Appointments are made on line. Great service.
  • wilemakeitwilemakeit Member Posts: 17
    Have you found a Mini for your daughter yet? I have a 2003 Mini non S for sale.
    I am in Indianapolis if intrested
  • keygokeygo Member Posts: 38
    She is but at this point she is on,y looking for real bargains. She has all summer before she really needs a car (she has use of mine until than). We do love Indy. She and her aunt have two horses in training outside of Indy. Really is a nice city.
    Thanks.
  • kragerkrager Member Posts: 8
    I have found the car that I want and the MSRP is 23,800. When I asked what the dealership was willing to do on this car, the salesman asked me what I would be comfortable with. Somewhere on this site I had read that if I could get $1000 off MSRP it would be a good deal so I asked for $1000 off. He did not bat any eye. Was this a good deal or should I hold out for more.
  • louiseamberlouiseamber Member Posts: 9
    I've been following this forum for awhile, as I'm going to lease a new Mini next month, and the best I've heard is $1000 off MSRP. If the dealer didn't bat an eye - can I ask where you're located? Fingers crossed you're somewhere in CA so I can use the dealer too!

Either way, if the dealer was okay, I'd either ask for more off, or for something else to be thrown in complimentary, like floor mats are something.
  • kragerkrager Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the input. The dealership is Brian Harris Minis in Baton Rouge,La. Coming off the MSRP like he did has something to do with the 4.9% financing for 60 months. MINI allows $500 as a incentive and he came off a package that was worth $500 that I did not want. So I guess that is $1000 off.
    I did ask for more off and got a thumbs down on that. He told me he'd try to find a car with fewer options. He had previousl mentioed floor mats, what a crock to not provide mats, gees, but he has not said that again. May push for that since he already mentioned it. Again thanks for the input.
  • tclstcls Member Posts: 8
    We bought our Mini Cooper S from Brecht Mini in Escondido, CA, yesterday (2009/2/28). Cooper S hardtop ($21,950 MSRP, same below) on the lot, T6 gravity leather (not leatherette) seats ($1,500), 205 auto ($1,500), 6ND iPod/Bluetooth adapter ($500), California destination charge ($650) for a total of $25,850. Paid $24,742, which is $1108 off MSRP.

This price includes the dealer's paint protector (Perma Plate), window tinting, and the de-activated LoJack. Floor mats were not.

End of the month timing and the fact that we did not use the financing program (4.9%) that will end on March 31 might have helped the negotiation.

Initial prices for the dealer items were: Paint protector: $800. Window tinting: $500. Floor Mats: $110. LoJack: $900. When the deal was done, the finance person tried again to sell LoJack for $700 and then $400.

TWZ