Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

MINI Cooper Prices Paid

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    I'm going to seriously consider a Clubman S (and maybe a 2010 4 Door GTI) since I can get a cash 4 clunkers $4500 credit if I give up my barely running 1990 E30 325i BMW. Has anyone dealt with Ray Catena MINI of Westchester?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• jmohsinjmohsin Member Posts: 4
    Hey all,

I'm dealing with a few dealerships in the MD/VA area trying to get a good price. I'm more than likely going to order one because they don't have one in their inventories with what I want.

The MSRP is coming too $32,450, then add taxes, tags, title etc. By my calculations the out-the-door price would be around $34,700, they're offering me $34,000. Wanted to get a vibe if I'm getting a good deal.

Thanks!
  • 2xsubaru2xsubaru Member Posts: 6
    @nyccarguy:

If you are not absolutely invested in the Mini or the 2010 GTi, I would suggest you take a look at the 2009 GTis. There are some incredible deals going around for that car - dealers are having hard time selling but apparently VW keeps shipping them.

One dealer I went to offered a 3000$ discount on the spot even before negotiations began! I was sorely tempted as the GTi was fun to drive. But I (and more importantly, the wife) wanted a convertible for the SoCal weather. So I am going for the Mini. :)
    I saw the 2010 GTI at the auto show and found it to be very cool. Plus it is bigger than the clubman.

I'm sure I can get a sick deal on an '09 GTI, but I tend to keep my cars for a while (I've owned my current '01 Honda Prelude Type SH for over 7 years & 113K miles), but the '09 isn't the car I want. Thanks for the tip though.

The GTI is going to have to blow me out of the water though. I'm a BMW nut and really dig the MINI (plus it is my 2 1/2 year-old's favorite car)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• scottlscottl Member Posts: 109
    So you got the Mini for under $19K + TTL?
  • foobaroofoobaroo Member Posts: 4
    I'm wondering whether to wait or buy now?
  • minimalistminimalist Member Posts: 2
    Just closed deal on a 2009 Cooper S:

Base MSRP* $21,950
    Destination & Handling $650

Black Roof/Mirrors $0
    Dark Silver Body Color $500

PACKAGES
    Premium Package $1,250
    Automatic AC
    Dual Pane Panoramic Sunroof
    Leather Sport Wheel w/Multifunction
    Cold Weather Package $500
    Heated Powerfold Mirrors & Washer Jets
    Heated Front Seats

PERFORMANCE
    6-Speed Auto w/Agitronic Mode $1,250
    16" Bridge Spoke (Perf. Run Flats) $0
    Dynamic Stability Control STD
    Front Fog Lamps STD

COCKPIT
    Leatherette: Black/Grey STD
    Interior Surface Piano Black $250
    Bluetooth and USB/iPod Adapter $500
    Interior Color: Carbon Black STD
    Sport Seats STD
    On-Board Computer STD
    6-spkr AM/FM CD Player STD

TOTAL MSRP AS CONFIGURED* $26,850

GENUINE MOTORING ACCESSORIES**
    MINI Portable Navigation System (installation not incl.) $399
    Cosmopolitan Floor Mats (4) (installation not incl.) $110

TOTAL ACCESSORIES ** $509
    TOTAL MSRP AS CONFIGURED* $26,850

TOTAL COMBINED $27,359

Negotiated internet price $26,050 (including installation of navigation unit) Not including TTL.
  • g0thamiteg0thamite Member Posts: 4
    Did you ever make your purchase at Ray Catena MINI of Westchester? I'm also thinking of a MINI there. What was your experience? How was the financing? Good experience? Any info helpful and thank you in advance.
    I actually crossed the MINI off of my short list. The staff at Ray Catena MINI was exceptionally helpful and friendly. The sales manager is a real car guy too.

Being a BMW nut, I had EXTREMELY high expectations for the MINI. I thought the car was solid & comfortable. The brakes are close to perfect. It is deceptively quick, I found myself doing 75 on an on ramp in 4th gear (I honestly didn't realize). Visibility is very restricted. I found myself looking under the windshield at every red light. Rearward visibility was just OK. The clutch takeup was very abrupt. I found the ride to be too soft & a little isolated.

I actually liked the car until I got back into my Prelude. It just has a much better feel for the road. After leaving the MINI dealer, I went to the Acura dealer and test drove a 2010 TSX. I'm pretty sure that's going to be our next car.

• mgannonmgannon Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to buy a 2009 mini clubman s with premium and convenience packages in California very soon.. next week or so. The msrp is between 30,100 - 32,500 for the 2 I am considering. I am relocating from the east coast and want to do the deal before I arrive... I've already test driven and know what I want. I intend to buy it outright - cash in full. Is this at all advantageous for me, buying outright over the phone? Any strategies for getting the price down a bit? (Also CA dealers are doing .9% apr so the cars are kind of selling there...)
    thanks for any tips...
    Historically MINI's are not negotiable but I think there is some wiggle room in today's economy - I know that in my case $500 was knocked off the price. Also, the .9 % interest rate is only good through this Friday. It may extend into August, but you will not know that until the first of the month. Even the salespersons, I mean, Motoring Assistants, will not know till then. Good luck!
  • rockymtnhirockymtnhi Member Posts: 19
    I've owned a RSX Type S which I miss alot. So since I've owned Acura Integs and an Integ GSR . They discontinued making the RSX brand(big Mistake) So now after trying the BMW 1 which surprised me as it's fast and a fun ride ,I almost bought it. (you need to own a gas station though)
    However ,I went to the 2010 TSX and decided after I took it up to 70 Miles an hour in 3rd and went into 6th this was the car for my wife Rather than the BMW or Lexus IS. Acura's are bullet proof, never had a problem with any of them.
    How ever, I need a HB and I'm waitng on the TDI VW Golf. ( Iknow realiability) but I need a Home Depot car.
    Get the Acura. :shades:
  • rockymtnhirockymtnhi Member Posts: 19
    I've owned a RSX type S which I miss alot. So since I've owned Acura Integs and an Integ GSR . They discontinued making the RSX brand(big Mistake) So now after trying the BMW 1 which surprised me as it's fast and a fun ride ,I almost bought it. (you need to own a gas station though)
    However ,I went to the 2010 TSX and decided after I took it up to 70 Miles an hour in 3rd and went into 6th this was the car for my wife Rather than the BMW or Lexus IS. Acura's are bullet proof, never had a problem with any of them.
    How ever, I need a HB and I'm waitng on the TDI VW Golf. ( Iknow realiability) but I need a Home Depot car.
    Get the Acura. :shades:
  • luvthesunincaluvthesuninca Member Posts: 17
    Is anybody buying the convertible Cooper or Cooper S? I haven't seen anybody asking about it recently. Wondering if many people have purchased or leased one and how you like it!
    Thanks!!
    I just (three weeks now) bought a Cooper S convertible. It has a few small issues - nothing major. But the fun of driving open or close has been immense. I am still finding excuses to run errands so that I can drive the car :)

Let me know if you need any other information.
  • luvthesunincaluvthesuninca Member Posts: 17
    Thanks!
    What are the small issues?
    Did you buy or lease? What colors? :)
    I bought a 09 Cooper S Cabrio - Chilli Red, Checkered Black interior, with Sports and Cold weather pakcage, Sports suspension, Multifunction steering wheel, Auto AC and a few other interior options.

Issues are really small - a bit of rattle/hum from behind the driver's side door. It doesn't happen always and IMO caused by a combination of the stiffer sports suspension and bad roads where I live. Haven't taken it to the dealership yet. No other problems and 700 miles of happy driving (>13hours open top :D )
  • djsf1djsf1 Member Posts: 9
    Did you find someone to purchase the Mini from in the SF area? I'm finding it difficult to get down from sticker price....
    Thanks
  • daveangelrodaveangelro Member Posts: 1
    Hey! I don't know if you've already purchased your MINI, but we are selling our 2008 Clubman S with the convenience, premium, sport, and cold weather packages. It's the Hot Chocolate color with the dual sunroof and tan leather interior and chrome accents. We are in Pittsburgh, PA. Car is perfect, nothing wrong! 15,500 miles. It's like it's brand new. Feel free to let me know if you are interested. It's listed on AutoTrader.com.
  • alexwalex1alexwalex1 Member Posts: 33
    Made the following deal yesterday:

2009 Cooper
    Yellow Mellow Color
    6 speed
    Convenience Pkg
    Premium Pkg
    Cold Weather pkg
    Sports pkg
    Xenon Lights
    Mini Hi Fi
    Piano Black Interior Surface

MSRP 24950
    Invoice 22702
    Selling Price 23875 plus tax, title, delaer fee
    Also included "free" mirrors and sunroof graphics valued at about $450.00 so ends up being MSRP 25400 and selling price 23875.

Judging from my prior experience of MSRP only, this is not too bad. Dealer initially offered MSRP plus $600 in "free" accessories; Ended up more like $1075 off MSRP plus $450 in "free" accessories.

At the end I am happy, but wanted to share what is ou there. Car actually will be ordered - one of the last remaning 2009 production spots they say.
  • padolfpadolf Member Posts: 1
    I tried the Mountain View dealership in SF bay area, but they only offered MSRP. Has anyone tried negotiating at Pleasanton or SF?
  • foobaroofoobaroo Member Posts: 4
    thanks for sharing. out of curiosity, what dealership did you buy from? did you go for the 1.9% financing deal?
    I dealt with New Country Mini in Hartford, CT

Since car is being built and will likely be delivered in September, one can't lock in the current low financing rates since they are only valid through 8/31. Experience tells me rates will still be there next month too, but at this point it is a little bit of "who knows." Hopefully I will get that 1.9%
  • skigreatskigreat Member Posts: 6
    Agree on price over the phone 7/16
    Signed form in the mail 7/18
    Order submitted 7/20
    Goes into production 7/22
    Comes off the assembly line 7/31
    C4C runs out of $1B around here
    On the boat 8/4
    C4C adds $2B 8/6
    Arrives in Bayonne 8/13
    Arrives at dealership 8/18
    Pick up (My first time at the dealership) 8/21
    C4C ends 8/24 (8/21 at the dealership)

MSRP 19.2K
    my price 18.5K
    C4C -4.5K
    -my beloved 87 RX7, no scrap value given
    net price 14K
    add back doc fee 239
    NJ sales tax on the entire 18.5K, thank you Corzine 1295
    title, transfer tags, NJ tire fee. 75
    OTD 15.6K

Despite being completely stripped, it is quite well equipped. What more do you need? Pretty sweet deal in my book. Find a used MINI at this price. I'm loving it. :shades:
  • minookaminooka Member Posts: 6
    I think the base was ~26K (S with sunroof package and the $&(@** arm rest that isn't included but is a good think with a manual trans).

Is ~1000K reasonable to ask them to knock off the MSRP?

I'll buy via their financing so the % rate is locked in.

Any other areas I can get them to knock some $$ off?

No trade in (and I wouldn't negotiate it with the purchase deal).

I'm going to ask the sales man to write up the contract and send it to me so I'm not wasting a Saturday looking at the finance person and listening to their pitch. Yawn!
  • mmeammea Member Posts: 2
    Hi!
    I'm about to shop around for a new Mini.

What is usually the reduction that could be made below the msrp, especially that 2010 models will be soon aboard?

Can somebody help me with the name of a dealer where good deals could be made in DC (or even NYC) area?
  • mmeammea Member Posts: 2
    Hi!
    I'm about to shop around for a new Mini.

What is usually the reduction that could be made below the msrp, especially that 2010 models will be soon aboard?

Can somebody help me with the name of a dealer where good deals could be made in DC (or even NYC) area? Has anybody tried with Passport MIni at Alexandria, Virginia?
    Prestige Mini in Mahwah, NJ claims to have the largest inventory in the country - but last week told me that they had only 10 cars left (after cash for clunkers and a good sales month). They are awaiting information and delivery of their 2010 cars. There's also Westchester Mini in White Plains and Manhattan Mini. I've had a very good experience with Prestige.
  • wilhelmwwilhelmw Member Posts: 6
    Hi, Alex,
    Is your MINI a MINI S Cooper or a Cooper without Turbine engine? Tks.

I am considering a MINI, but I am not sure how much difference it will be b/w MINI S or MINI. Do you have any comments?
    I am considering a MINI.
    Is there any one who recently bought MINI in this area? Unfortunately, there is only one MINI deal in Memphis. I will consider dealers in TX or LA, if the price is better. Appreciate if any one could share experience from TN, TX, or LA?
    I went to Truecar to configure my own MINI and found that "6-SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION" is on the option list.
    What that mean? :confuse:
    Does it mean that unless I select this option, the car will only have manual transmission?

Tks.
    Yes, that is exactly the case. Manual transmission is standard and automatic is optional.
    In all honesty my wife drives our Mini on a daily basis and it is just a Mini Cooper, not Cooper S. I drive it occasionally and find that for day to day driving it is fun, perfectly powerful (remember it is a lightweight car) and goes 80 and above with ease if you are not paying attention. If you are not planning to floor the accelerator every time, it should be perfectly fine. If the car was for me, I would have gone for the S version and may have checked fewer option boxes than my wife had. Since the car was for her and she did not care as much about power, she got what she wanted.
    I shall note that our car is 6 speed manual. I had a chance to drive the car with automatic transmission and when you put that transmission in the Sport mode, it is also quite fun to drive, perhaps because it keeps car in the lower gears and higher RPMs resulting in more pull and better responsiveness. Of course it burns more fuel that way too.
    Thanks, Alex

As to Sport mode, do I have to select the sport package or it is an choice in standard model?
    Is any one know MINI's maintenance and service, like:

Can walmart do the regular maintenance, for instance, oil change and filter change?
    Can normal bodyshop do the regular repair, if there is sth wrong with MINI?
    Is spare parts available in Autoparts zone?
    How about the overall quality of MINI? (I suppose it is good.)

Thanks. :)
  • jcihakjcihak Member Posts: 60
    Anybody can do the service.
    BUT, warranty service and the included 3 years of service can only be done at a Mini dealer. Not even at a BMW dealer.

As far a quality, JDPowers results show the Mini to be one of the worst cars.
    Consumer Reports shows reliability to be mediocre.

Considering the reliability, dearth of Mini service, and high price, I'm probably going to get a Mazda 3 instead.

Of course if you really want a fun car that is reliable too and can live with 2 seats, get a Miata!
  • waltermbwaltermb Member Posts: 4
    I have had my 2006 mini cooper s with john cooper factory install for about 1 year. i bought the car used, 2 years old with only 5000 miles on it. It had never been to the dealer for service. so you know mini has 2 warrantees-one is the maintanence--covers everything like oil changes, wipers --everything-- the other covers all mechanical issues . you will have to check the length of these when you buy new or what is left on a used car. i have found the mini service to be overall amazing. since these cars have a lot of tech in them--they plug them in and find things i didnt even know about. i find they go beyond what i ask every time. the warrantee service has to be done at a mini/bmw dealer-they are all over. there are great mini mechanics around the country when the warrantee runs out. regarding the other persons comments on ratings, i have found my mini to be one of the most maintaince free cars i have had. if you live in atlanta, one of the top mini master mechanics in the country is here-after warrantee if you need him. lastly---i have the most powerful engine combo they make--this car is the most fun, fastest, most torque of any car i have owned. so you know i have a 930 porche also--this has more power in early gears than the porche--it is fast-and with top down a blast--i recommend it strongly
  • ncminincmini Member Posts: 4
    I got a cooper S at Nashville. I only got $500 off MSRP:(

I just read the documents from them. There is a fee named "PHANTOM FP," which is around $260 apart from the dealer fee $399.50. What is PHANTOM FP?
    Hi ncmini,

I called the MINI dealer in Memphis. They said the 'extra' fee they charged is only document fee $399, which,as argued by MINI salesman, is the 'general level in TN'. I haven't visit them and talk face to face yet. But at least they cut off 1,000 for their cooper (1,500 for Cooper S) in stock, which is ad. on their website.
    Wihelmw,

Thank you for your message. I wish I know that information earlier:(

I just called the dealer. I was told that Panthon FP something is something used to track my car in case it was stolen.

I am a girl, and I went to the dealer by myself. I though I would be tough to argue with them. It looks like I did not do a good work:)

I wish you get the mini you want, and good luck with your purchase! I will be envious:)
    BTW, there was one couple who also became interested in that chili red copper S I have been interested in. There seems to be no room for me to argue with the dealer.
  • pdiddy1pdiddy1 Member Posts: 3
    Any idea on current (September residuals) on Clubman and Clubman S? 58% and 57% sound correct for Texas?
  • gr8imagesgr8images Member Posts: 14
    How's this lease deal?

NYC

36 months 12K miles

$1375.76 due at start (1st month, bank fee)
    $488.92 per month INCL tax
    $18960.00 residual 60%

MSRP: $31600
    Negotiated selling price: $30850

How'd I do?

Thanks to all who responds!!
  • bilseg47bilseg47 Member Posts: 8
    The sales staff at my local dealer (unidentified for now) have told me that 2010 factory orders will be taken AT MSRP. Using the Edmunds TMV calculation page that is approx. 10% over invoice cost. In my configuration that is close to $3,000 profit to place the order (because the dealership does not incur any of the costs associated with a car designated for lot sale).
    Has anyone out there ordered a 2010 for less than MSRP? I live in CA and really have no problem dealing with any of the dealers in the state (or NV & AZ for that matter).
    I probably would have paid the MSRP cost justifying it by saying that the dealer is entitled to a profit (even if a bit steep) until the sales person said that all their 2010 orders are done with Lojack and Perma plate. I said no to both then their "out the door" quote was still $600 OVER MSRP + tax/license/title. Making for a $3,600 profit!!
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    http://blogs.edmunds.com/strategies/2009/10/mini-extended-service-contracts-now-- available-through-mini.html

My daughter has a MINI - at 38,000 miles -ish
    Need to investigate this.
    May make some folks more comfortable
    with a MINI purchase...
    - Ray
    2022 X3 M40i
  • drea111drea111 Member Posts: 5
    Hi Ray,

The protection plan info is really interesting. I wish that I had the same warranty options when I purchased a '04 Certified Pre-Owned Mini S with extended warranty. You would think that everything would be ok-not so much.

I have driven the car 15,000. Here is the quick and dirty:
    38,700 miles Bought a Certified Pre-Owned 04 Mini s w/ extended warranty-April 08

38,708 miles Returned the car because the rear bumper was two-toned-April 08

46,629 miles The crankshaft pulley, bolt, tensioner were repaired-Jan. 09

53,000 miles The clutch, tire arms, tire bolts, tires…all need repairs-Oct. 09

The January repairs were covered. The October repairs are not covered and will cost $6,600 from the dealer or $5,400 from a mechanic.

It may make sense to check out the other forum discussions like clutch/transmission to hear other drivers experiences...

I have more info on my experience & the forensics of buying a mini.

I hope that this helps.
    Good Luck!
  • exit56exit56 Member Posts: 9
    Need a convertible by Thanksgiving Day (wife's 40th birthday).

Are New York area dealers still getting full sticker price for the 2009 models? Seems to be a lot of inventory still left.

Are the 2010s in the showroom yet?

Would I get a better bang for my buck with a used one?

Thanks!
  • bilseg47bilseg47 Member Posts: 8
    Yo Exit56

First the 2010s are in the showroom here... second, I sense an urgency in the tone of your email... If a dealer senses that also they will be much less inclined to "deal".

I would suggest that you check the dealer inventory on the MINI USA site of every dealer within a few hundred miles, make a list of those that have what you want and then send the sales manager of each one an email in essence saying what you want, that you are ready to deal and see what their best offer would be... and see who gets back to you. THAT'S who you want to deal with!

Two alternative suggestions... There are more convertibles in inventory in Fla & California this time of year. Buy one there and give your wife a plane ticket for her birthday... she can drive it home!! OR If she really wants a MINI, she probably knows exactly what she wants... for her birthday let her order a 2010 exactly the way she wants it... Trust me, the weeks between order date and delivery date will probably be some of the best of your life!! hahahahah...

NOTE: Shop around. Even on a 2010 order don't pay MSRP! I was able to get a dealer to agree to Invoice plus a flat fee of $1,500. A factory order costs a dealer very little. IMHO, all dealers should adopt a policy on factory orders of "invoice + set fee".

Hope this helps you out some....
  • longmanzzlongmanzz Member Posts: 1
    Hi, bilseg47, so according to your experience, how much flat fee we should add on top of the invoice for a 09 model? thanks
  • jeffrey12341jeffrey12341 Member Posts: 6
    hey, bilseg i live around the nyc area and i just want to know when u mean invoice plus set fee u mean u pated the out the door price of invoice+1,500? or do you have to add tav title and registration and anything else? I really wanna buy a mini cooper.