Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

MINI Cooper Prices Paid

Comments

• bilseg47bilseg47 Member Posts: 8
    No.... you're reading me wrong. IF you are in negotiations for a 2009, it's because it's ON THE DEALERS LOT. That means that the dealer accepted it into inventory, and has costs associated with doing same (lot fees, taxes, insurance, etc). They have an investment in the vehicle. MSRP offsets those costs and builds in a profit margin.
    So Invoice + flat fee is an unrealistic request on a "lot" car... but it makes sense on a factory order because the dealer incurs little cost and the fee is pretty much his profit. Depending on the volume of MINIs he sells per month and/or the time of the month when you order, they can gauge whether the deal works for them. "flat-fee" levels the playing field for the buyer. Example: Two buyers want to do a factory order. Buyer (a) wants a "basic" MINI with no add-ons and Buyer (b) wants a "fully loaded" MINI... from the dealers perspective it doesn't cost them any more to order/deliver either one so the "fee" to do so should be the same. And lastly, FIND A DEALER THAT WILL WORK WITH YOU. Not all dealers are the same. Shop around. Expand your search out a few hundred miles... if you're doing a factory order most of it can be done via email any way!
    Invoice + fee is for the vehicle only.... Once you've agreed to that your dealer can then calculate tax, license, and registration fees and give you a detailed, firm "out-the-door" price.
  • jeffrey12341jeffrey12341 Member Posts: 6
    ok bilseg47.Thanks for really helpimg me out, i appreciate it. So pretty much you got the cr for 1,500 over invoice before tax title and reg. and i should be expecting the same? What city did u buy it in? i live in the same nyc area and i know theres a few dealers in our ara. Dawm my keyboard sucks,
    Expect nothing grasshopper... Negotiate. And if you are making contact with dealers via email, send your email to the Sales Manager... THAT is the person that ultimately will make the deal! Proposing your deal to any sales staff below the mgr. is a waste of time.
    I live in SoCal (82° today *grin*)... My dealer would probably do the deal, but that don't help you much unless you have some time... I mean, if you're gonna save $1,500 or more, the plane ticket and vacation trip driving back home would be "paid for". Or check down south... same thing only closer to you.
    I just read on the net that October was a bad sales month for MINI in the USA... maybe your local dealers will be more receptive to dealing with you in the latter part of the month when they have a better handle on their projected monthly sales...
    Your job now is to keep this dialog going... keep us posted on what you do and what you experience on your trek toward MINIdom... so as to educate those that follow.
    I leave you with this observation... "He who can not afford a new $15 keyboard should perhaps pause and reflect before buying a new car." hahahahahahaha
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi bilseg47. While the situation that you described sounds good in theory, in reality exactly the opposite is true. Dealers are almost always much more anxious to sell vehicles that they have in inventory and are willing to cut thinner deals on them than on ordered vehicles. The sooner a dealer sells a vehicle that they have on the lot, the sooner they can stop paying floorplan interest on it.

Plus as the old saying goes, a bird in hand is worth two in the bush. Dealers would much rather send a consumer off in a vehicle that they have ASAP than wait for an ordered vehicle to come in and possibly watch the deal fall apart.

Lastly, the longer a vehicle sits on the lot, the less desirable it is. Mini dealers will be very anxious to unload any remaining 2009 models that they have now that the 2010 models have started to arrive. The longer it takes them to unload their leftover inventory, the less desirable it is to consumers and the larger the hit they will have to take to get rid of it.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Yo Host....

The basic thrust of my initial comments are from my very recent, personal experiences in doing a "factory order". Having gone to, or contacted a number of dealers within a wide radius over the past few months, I am convinced that there is no way I could walk on to any MINI lot tomorrow and get a 2010, equipped the way mine is for the price (below MSRP) that I will have paid. (it should be here in a bit over two weeks)
    I certainly agree that dealers should be more receptive to deal on 2009s the later we get into 2010 season, everything you say is true, but that goes for any "year old" model product be it a car, a computer or a washing machine, but I will still counsel anyone to shop around. I talked to MINI dealers during my search that, because they were the only dealer in the area, tended to fall into the mindset that they controlled the product and if you wanted it you had to deal with them. I was actually told by a sales person while looking at window sticker that they were charging a premium over MSRP because of demand, and that was just the way it was... I have their card posted on my bulletin board as a constant reminder. B-)
    hey bilseg, member me? i tried to get a mini and basyards wouldnt work with me. They said because only 45,000 cars are sold a rear and there rare they really dont have to work with me that. Ill try looking for a 2009 and go according to car man then
  • jvst1cejvst1ce Member Posts: 7
    I spent the last month reading this forum, trolling craigslist and ebay. I have visited 2 dealers (the last was today for 2 hours) and had a very nice and patient sales rep who gave me his "final offer". Of course, I was able to walk away unemotionally and say I'd think about it.

If there are a few people in the NY area that are looking to buy, perhaps we can all save a few hundred or maybe a grand each if we all go in together to buy.

The best dealer out of the 6 or so places will get 2, 3, 4, or 5 car sales in one fell swoop - if they give us aggressive pricing.

Anyone in? I'm looking to pull the trigger in the next few days - week at the latest.
    I'm looking to get one for my wife's 40th too - a few days after Thanksgiving! How are you celebrating? Funny!
  • ken2tyken2ty Member Posts: 1
    jvst1ce,

I'm in. I'm looking to buy within the next few days as well and any help in reducing that MSRP will be very much appreciated.

With that said, I am currently talking to dealers in the Princeton NJ and Morristown NJ areas and if I make any good negotiations there, I'll be sure to mention the possibility of pulling in more buyers for further reductions, if any.

What kind of car are you looking? Factory-built or on the lot?
    Hey jvstice. That is a good idea.I will do that but do you really think that will work. I went to the dealer in mahway and for a mini mayfair s that gave me a offer of 29879 after all the fees. What did the dealers in priceton and morristown give u as the final offer?
    Guys/Gals - How can we do this tomorrow - discuss tonight?

Maybe we can open a chat via aim or facebook? etc..

I hit 3 dealers already with the email quote thing.

I'm looking for an S Convertible.

This could really work? Even though I know dealers read this blog.. They need to sell - last month was very slow.

Let's do this.

You can email me - techdirektor@yahoo.com
    I think I'll get a better deal (and quicker) with an on the lot car.. I'm not too picky about color, etc..

So how can we do this? email me - techdirektor@yahoo.com

I have 3 other people so far who SAY they are interested.
    I've started the quest.. getting some very good quotes... who else is in?
  • doraedorae Member Posts: 4
    I'm actually looking to order a MINI and am from socal. I was wondering which dealer you went to? i've sent out emails to irvine and crevier, but from reviews and such i hear they sell at or above MSRP. I've also been to LB, and sent an email to South Bay, so am just waiting until they get back to me. I'm new to buying cars, so I was wondering how you went about getting them to lower the price. thanks so much for your help!
    Yo dorae

First, have you "built" the car you want at the on-line MINI website? If you haven't, then do it now... if you have, then be prepared to attach it to your follow-up email to those dealerships that get back to you...

Give me your email address, once we establish a dialog I'll send you contact names and numbers.

BTW, I forwarded your email to them already, asked them to be on the lookout for an email from you.
    sweet! thanks a lot bilseg47. you can reach me at yeh2004@yahoo.com. thanks!
    Hey - are we doing this as one group or two?

With one group - we have even more power?

Please let me know.

With this big of a group - we can email directly to the FLEET MANAGER.. who doesn't make commission.

Frank - techdirektor@yahoo.com
    Just came back for a socal dealer and ordered a 2010 mini S. Pretty smooth ordering. Dealer said they would do $700 over invoice.

2010 Cooper S

Black Metallic
    Xenon Headlights
    Automatic Climate Control
    Navigation System
    Bluetooth/USB/Ipod adapter
    Alarm System
    Limited Slip Differential

MSRP: 28000
    Invoice: 25452
    Price Paid: 26152 (not including TTR)

Dealers going to throw in the floor mats. Says estimated arrival will be some time in February (if not earlier). Can't wait!
  • fcuneofcuneo Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I am in the market for a new Mini in New Jersey/Philadelphia area.

Do dealers negotiate from the actual dealer cost, or the higher priced "factory invoice?"

I know that the actual dealer costs are lower then the "invoice price."
  • brminibrmini Member Posts: 1
    dorae

I am in socal and am looking to get a similar deal on a Clubman I am going to order. Can you tell me the name of the dealer and sales person you spoke to?

Thanks much Please reply to miniclub"at"houseofmoye.com
  • luka822luka822 Member Posts: 5
    Hi Car Man -

Do you happen to know the December money factor/residual rates for a 2010 Mini Cooper S? Looking to lease in SoCal.

Thanks!
    hey brmini,

i sent you an email a few days ago. not sure if you got it. if you didnt, let me know
  • miniguy310miniguy310 Member Posts: 6
    I recently placed an order for a new Mini Cooper Clubman, From a Souther California Dealership, and not only did I get the best price but this Internet Sales Manager was the best I have ever experienced. I paid only 700 over invoice, My vehicle will be here before Feb, I didnt even have to step into the dealership. I build my car on MINIUSA.COM i emailed it to him he replied back in a matter or minutes. He gave me invoice price which invoince included 100 for maco and 82 for training fee he was able to explain why Mini charges those fees. I agreed on pricing 700 over total invoice he faxed me credit application, and a credit card for to take out 1,500. My car is now order and expected to be received either end of jan or begining of Feb. This guy is so wonderful and easy to deal with. I got his contact info by someone who order a car from him and he advised that he already placed orders for about 5 people in this forum. I have his info if any one you guys need it. This has been the easiest and the happies shopping ex ever. P. S he was also able to lock the 2.9 rate for 60 months for my mini even tough my car will be here until next year. He also explained that if the rate is better in feb I have the option to take either 2.9 or whatever rate they have in Feb. My cousin who lives in vegas placed a order from him as well so he does do out of state deals.
  • hkyhky Member Posts: 71
    Is it ok to pass the dealership name? Thinking about doing the same thing since dealership here in tx will only discount $0.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi luka822. I'd be happy to help you out. Mini's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 Mini Cooper S with 15,000 miles per year are .00170 and 58%, respectively.

The forums actually has a specific discussion about leasing a Mini, "MINI Cooper Lease Questions". Any future posts on this subject would probably be better off there. Thanks.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Sure email me so I can give you his contact info mrbenz85@gmail.com
  • captain_ragecaptain_rage Member Posts: 1
    Hi dorae,
    Could you send me an email with the same information too?
    dungphung46@yahoo.com
  • joepojoepo Member Posts: 10
    Hi Dorae,
    Congrats on your purchase - you did very well. If you don't mind me asking which dealership did you purchase your Mini from? I'm also getting ready to order mine.
    You may send your reply to jmpin805@gmail.com.

Thanks and regards,
    Joseph
  • jmontanojmontano Member Posts: 4
    Purchased a Honda Fit last year and it is a fine car but tinny, poor acceleration, squeaks and rattles and not a comfortable ride. Was thinking of a mini but not sure if i will have the same problems.....like a comfortable ride, good suspension, quieter ride and hate rattles. What are your experiences? the review says it is a noisy ride. Will primarily be used to commute to Manhattan from Eastern Queens. Thanks for your help Joe
    Sounds like you don't really want a sporty vehicle... I suspect from what you've said you're looking for in a vehicle, you'd be much happier in a Cadillac Escalade.
  • jmontanojmontano Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for your reply, not interested in a Cadillac Escalade, but I take it from your response that the Mini must not be a comfortable ride, has poor suspension, is noisy and full of rattles. Joe
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    First: I do think you definitely need to drive one.
    "Ride quality" is largely subjective.
    Second: I have driven my daughter's 2007 MINI
    [ edit: non-S ]
    a number of times, and ride in it regularly.
    It is a long way from anything with a wheelbase
    as long as an Escalade.
    But for what it is - and the 'real world' fuel mileage -
    it has been an excellent car - for her.
    YMMV.
    - Ray
    Good luck....
    2022 X3 M40i
  • wongboyswongboys Member Posts: 1
    I'd like to get your salesman contact info. Thanks.
    CALBEAR85 @ gmail dot com
  • fastrunnerfastrunner Member Posts: 38
    We just picked up our 2010 Mini Cooper hatchback today. We worked with four dealers trying to get the best deal, and it was Mini Morristown, NJ. Ask for Dave
    This month of January you can get some great deals, we got the premium package free, but you must purchase by Jan. 31st.
    dab_runner@yahoo.com :)
  • e90335ie90335i Member Posts: 1
    Hi there, could you please email me the dealer's contact information? gtr35next@hotmail.com, Thanks in advance!
  • sw2sw2 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I just had a great buying experience at Momentum Mini in Houston. I got an 09 MCS Auto, Sparkling Silver w/ white roof and mirrors, white bonnet stripes, prem pkg, xenons, clear signals, bluetooth/ipod adapter and tint for $26,700 inc ttl. The service was great and I would recommend them anyone in the Houston area. Matthew was my salesman and he was very knowledgeable, friendly, and helpful. Mini of the woodlands were also very helpful, but they didn't have the options we wanted on anyy of their 09's.
  • mru862mru862 Member Posts: 1
    fcuneo, can you tell me how much you paid for yours and the specifications if you don't mind?
  • fcuneofcuneo Member Posts: 2
    I ended up going with an 08 Sport, 21,000 miles with all the options, for $18,000
  • karah73karah73 Member Posts: 3
    I love my car! Was going to buy a prius, but after the recall drama, thought I would check out the Mini, before I bought. I drive a lot, and need super gas mileage. I LOVE love love this car! So cute, and sporty, and it goes and goes on a tank. Love that I can parallel park in a tiny space at the mall!
    I bought mine from a socal dealership. Awesome buying experience. They even have a bulldog mascot, there! My salesperson was not pushy, knew about the product, and even drove a vintage mini, herself. I really appreciated not being pushed, and that she let me take my time to check out the cars, and make a decision. I am very pleased with my car, and the price I paid. Will be a Mini owner for life.
  • andypaiandypai Member Posts: 8
    Hi, miniguy310,

Do you mind to send me his contact info?

ansonHH@hotmail.com

Thanks,

Anson
  • girlygirlatlgirlygirlatl Member Posts: 1
    Dear all, I was wondering if I am getting a decent deal on a used MINI I am very close to purchasing in FL.

2008 MINI Hardtop
    Oxygen Blue (no one likes this color, but it happens to be the color I want :) )
    Premium Package
    16800k miles
    White Stripes
    Price: 16300k, will probably be $18k with everything: tax, registration, title, doc fees($200, hate that!), etc. I believe I just need to pay the different in tax and my tag when I get it.

I have shopped for the same car but 2010 and in Georgia, price was about 22k with no premium package but with bluetooth, ipod adapter...

Please let me know, thank you in advance!! :shades:
    So I'm sure you guys know I placed an order in Dec for a Mini Cooper. Well I finally picked up this weekend. I was so excited and my car is beautiful and lovely. My Sales Person Cristian Was th BEST. I got My car for only 700 over invoice plus the Maco and training fees which is standard. From the Ordering process to the actual delivery I have to say this was the best shopping Experience EVER. My Internet Sales Manager advised that he will be honering the 700 over invoice again So if you guys are interested in ordering one or purchasing one from their lot let me know so I can pass on his info. Im so thankful for the service and I want you guys to have the same Experience.
  • rtmoverrtmover Member Posts: 2
    Miniguy310,

What dealership is this you dealt with Cristian for $700 over invoice he said he would do again? Thanks rtmover
  • crsc1033crsc1033 Member Posts: 1
    New 2010 Mini S
    Horizon Blue
    Premium Package
    Sport Package
    Cold Weather Package
    Convenience Package
    Chrome Line int.
    Chrome Mirror covers
    17" Crown Spoke (pref)
    Total- $22,900 smiling all the way home, it is good to serve in Germany....And Mini will ship it home no extra cost
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,559
    edited February 2010
    Wow..that's a great price!

Not sure I'd join the service to get it, but if you are already in.... well... ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• texassuntexassun Member Posts: 13
    edited February 2010
    Not my case, when i email to him, email back, it was ok, but when i asked more deal. (I live in 4hrs far away.). No more Answer.. :mad:

#1323 of 1333 Re: Best Deal And Customer Service Ever [e90335i] by sw2 Jan 20, 2010 (10:00 pm) Save | Reply
    Replying to: e90335i (Jan 18, 2010 10:48 am)

Hi, I just had a great buying experience at Momentum Mini in Houston. I got an 09 MCS Auto, Sparkling Silver w/ white roof and mirrors, white bonnet stripes, prem pkg, xenons, clear signals, bluetooth/ipod adapter and tint for $26,700 inc ttl. The service was great and I would recommend them anyone in the Houston area. Matthew was my salesman and he was very knowledgeable, friendly, and helpful. Mini of the woodlands were also very helpful, but they didn't have the options we wanted on anyy of their 09's.
  • sooprasoopra Member Posts: 1
    I've been negotiating over email for a 2010 Mini with an automatic transmission, sun roof, rain sensor, auto headlights, and ipod/bluetooth adapter. I've gotten the dealer down to about $300 over invoice, which would give me a final price of $19,500. Does that sound like a decent deal? I've also been negotiating with other dealers and some have offered to beat that deal but I prefer the above car's color (I'm willing to pay a couple of hundred dollars more for my preferred color). What do you guys/gals think?
  • texassuntexassun Member Posts: 13
    Wow,, Can you tell me about dealer information? :)
    SEND ME UR EMAIL ADDRESS AND I WILL FORWARD YOU HIS CONTACT INFO