Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

MINI Cooper Prices Paid

Comments

• exit64exit64 Member Posts: 2
    I just ordered a mini from Moritz yesterday and I have had a great experience so far. I actually live in Colorado but chose to order from Moritz in Texas because I had a really negative experience with the dealer in my state. They added a clear coat bra and a another protective product for an additional $1000. I was willing to pay the price for the car, I just wasn't going to pay an extra $1000 for products I didn't want. I would have paid the extra $1000 for better rims or a roof rack or something. Anyway, my brother also had a good experience with Mini of Dallas. I called maybe 15 dealerships across the country before I ordered my mini. I also thought that Ferman mini in Florida was very helpful.
  • exit64exit64 Member Posts: 2
    I read that the new one is only slightly longer and that is to accomodate a new pedestrian impact bumper requirement, so the interior should not be noticeably different. Also, reports of the 2007 indicate the exterior styling is indistinguishable. The major differences should be in interior options & packages. The 2008 Traveler (soon to be renamed) is longer with suicide doors for a REAL backseat.
  • jackel142jackel142 Member Posts: 47
    Ok, Drove my first Mini S this past weekend at Otto's in West Chester, PA. Great car, great dealership. I'd buy the car today, except for one minor issue. The lease rates are insane!
    I drive a pair of 04 Mountainer's. The leases are up in a couple months, and I want 1 smaller, fun car. The Mountaineer listed for $40,000, and my payment is $325.00 per month, and I put 0 down. The resale on that thing is terrible.
    The Mini listed for $29,600. I was quoted $560/month! The resale is great, so I assumed they would offer a much better money factor.
    I know I paid 10k off sticker for the mountaineer, and I'm paying sticker for the Mini, I would think that the payment should br close.
    Has anyone leased an 06 S for around $325-$350 with $0 down?
  • cct1cct1 Member Posts: 221
    The interior is noticeably different. There is slightly more leg room, slightly more room overall, and it's more modern looking--I prefer the older retro interior to the newer look. The speedo is still in the center and is larger, but telescopes out--kind of hard to explain, but I like the old look better. On the plus side, the switches are a bit more intuitive and layed out better, and supposedly they're using higher quality materials. But from what I've seen, I'm not an overall fan of the new interior.

The 2007 is very similar to the 2006 at first glance, but depending on how much you follow the Mini depends on how distinguishable it is. I'd venture to say it's very distinguishable--these things stick out: The wheel arch trim is much bigger. Looks terrible--it really sticks out, don't know what they were thinking--it's totally out of proportion to the car now. I could pick out a 2007 on the trim alone. The rear end is substantially different, mostly for the better. The front isn't as nice on the 2007--you lose the lines and proportion by adding heighth and length to the nose--it looks more like an accomodation to the euro pedestrian laws than a further evolution of the Mini (The original designer of the Mini didn't work on the 2007, and IMHO it shows) . The lights are no longer integrated into the clamshell bonnet, but this will be tough to tell with the naked eye. (but the clamshell bonnet still remains--good choice, a standard hood would look awful on the mini). The grill shape is also more angular, less oval--I like old one better.

There will be potentially some very nice additions though--HP may go up slightly (by 5), and wieght should be substantially reduced, and gas mileage should be substantially better on the newer model.

From a looks standpoint, I think the 2006 wins hands down. From a performance standpoint, the 2007 is looking good. I own a 2006 (I bought it specifically because of concerns with the 2007, rather than waiting for the 2007), and bought it with the intention of either holding on to it forever and modding it, or trading in. I'm fairly set on holding on to it (I've added the JCW brakes and suspension), but won't make a final decision until I've driven a 2007.
  • shaymbsshaymbs Member Posts: 1
    At this time I am extremely unhappy with my MINI experience and will probably be forced to cancel my order. I ordered a customized MINI S through the dealership in Hawthorne California.

I custom configured the auto online and it’s scheduled to arrive at the dealership in mid August of 06.

A week ago I logged into my account to check the status of my MINI and noticed a Navigation system was listed as installed…even though I did not order it.

I called my MINI Rep that same day and let her know. She confirmed that they did install the navigation and that it was a mistake made on their end (MINI).

My rep told me there is nothing she or the MINI Dealership can do about the mistake. She said my only options are to either:

A.) Take the car “as is” and pay the additional costs of the Navigation
    B.) Place a new order and wait for them to build a new car according to my configuration.

Unfortunately I’m not at liberty to wait several more months while a new car is built...nor should I have to. I need a new car by the end of August regardless of what happens. Also, I have a very tight budget and don’t want the navigation system that was installed…I bought my own portable navigation so I have no need for one even if I could afford it.

This is such a strange situation; MINI messed up the order and I will be help accountable for it? After waiting so long to get this car I can’t believe this is the result.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Also, has anyone had a similar experience? Does anyone know who I should contact with my issue?

Thanks,
    Mike
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    did you try contacting MINI directly, rather than your dealership?

When did you first place your order?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I agree with the above--I'd contact MiniUSA ASAP (You can get all the contact info from their website), and I'd let your dealer know you're doing this as well.
  • bfromholdbfromhold Member Posts: 38
    cct~

Here's the reply email I got from the Mini Cooper factory in Oxford England about closures and or production of the Mini's being slowed:

Dear * * *

Thank you for your email to MINI Customer Information.

We can confirm that during the summer of 2006 an extended closure is planned for the refurbishment of the visitor centre at plant Oxford and updates to the tour. The dates of this closure are still to be advised.

We hope this information is of help.

Yours sincerely
    MINI UK
    Muneerah Sadiq
    Product Information Advisor
    Ellesfield Avenue
    Bracknell RG12 8TA

Tel: 0800 083 6464
    Fax: 0870 5050 206
    Email: customer.information@mini.co.uk

His reply to my email is a little confusing to me... I'm not too sure if the visitor's center extended closure in August includes the production plant. H-m-m-m-m :confuse:
    Thanks for posting that. Yep, that is confusing--tough to tell what they mean with that--it could be just the visitor center/factory tours are on hold, but I'd be willing to bet that both the factory and the visitor center are going to be down--you're not going to be able to tour the plant when they're refurbishing it anyway, and it would make more sense to update the visitor center while the plant was down too--makes sense for them both to be out at the same time, rather than having the plant running and the visitor center closed (and vice-versa).
  • patelkpatelk Member Posts: 4
    what are people paying for a mini convet in los angeles?
  • pinay819pinay819 Member Posts: 1
    I ordered my '06 Cooper S today. :) I went to a dealership on the South Shore of Long Island, NY. The representative was extremely helpful and honest. The dealership gave a $500 discount plus floor mats for free. to top it all off, they had a BBQ and served us lunch. Go to Hassel! :shades:

Also, we went to a dealership on the North Shore of Long Island, NY before going to where I purchased my Cooper. We tried to bargain w/ the manager but he was such a B*****d!! He only gave us a $250 discount. What an insult. Also, his 'air" about him really turned me off and I wasn't going to give this dealership 1 cent of my hard earned $$$.
  • mlwagner79mlwagner79 Member Posts: 4
    I'm planning to order a new Cooper here in the next few weeks. After reading this thread, I have a few questions:

1) Should I wait until the 2007s are being offered? If so, when will that be?

2) Is there any dealer in CA (I'm in SF but am willing to go to either border) that sells for MSRP? The one here does not, and I'm yet to call the other three in the area.

3) I would like to trade in my car during this fiasco. I've bought new cars before, but never "ordered" one. Can I do a traade in for this?

4) If there is not a dealer in CA that will sell at MSRP, I will likely go to Wisconsin (have family there). Does anyone know what it will cost me to then bring it back into CA?

Thanks guys :)
    This has been rehashed several times, but in a nutshell, no, I wouldn't by a 2007 (They'll probably be available in January). I'd either get a 2006 or wait and get a Mini in 2008.

When the new Mini came out in 2002, it was plagued by a number of problems all over the car--from build quality, to engine stumble and yo-yo. It really wasn't until 2004 (for the base Mini) or 2005 (For the Mini S) that the major issues were sorted out. The 2007 will be new from the ground up, and done by a different design team that created the first Mini--I'd wait at least until 2008, or even better, 2009, to get the bugs worked out--the new engine is an order of magnitude more complicated than the old one.

Either way, if you decide to buy in Wisconsin, International Motors is very, very good--that's where I got mine (at MSRP with mats thrown in--that's it). Knauz in Chicago (Not too far from Milwaukee) is also a wonderful dealer.
    Sounds like a plan. I'm hoping I can find a dealer in the Bay Area that doesn't charge over MSRP, but from reading here that sounds like a tall order.
  • mini_dreamsmini_dreams Member Posts: 10
    Hi All,

I just ordered my Mini Cooper and then saw in the Owner's Lounge, plant tour section that the plant is closed in August! Bad timing! Like everyone else, I wasn't sure if this meant just for tours, the entire plant, all of August, etc.

So, I emailed Mini to find out and got the nice (and clear) reply below about the factory vacation time -- July 31st to August 13th, with production being halted during this time. Hopefully, Minis on order will be at the top of the list when production starts up again! I have to keep saying to myself: "patience is a virtue, patience is a virtue..."

Max

~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Max:

Thanks for contacting MINI. I am happy to answer your question.

The MINI plant in Oxford, England is closed from July 31st through August 13th. Production is halted during this time.

I hope this answers your question. If there are further questions I can assist with, please feel free to drop me an e-mail. I will be happy to lend a hand.

LET’S MOTOR.

Carrie Zartman
    MINI Customer Relations and Services
    Representative
    866.ASK.MINI (275-6464)
    They're retooling the plant for the next generation Mini (I just found that out for sure the other day)--I'm not sure why they call it a "factory vacation", maybe that's what they call retooling there....
    I asked at the dealership on Wednesday and they said it's not for retooling, that that doesn't happen til December.

Who knows with these guys though...

Anyway, I found the answers to my own questions in my post above. I went to East Bay Mini in Pleasanton on Wednesday, put my $1000 down and ordered my Cooper. I paid MSRP but have quite a wait (8-15 weeks). Every other dealer in the SF Bay Area charges a minimum of $1000 over MSRP, going as high as $2500 over in some cases, so I'm guessing that East Bay gets a lot of business because of this and that's why it takes longer with them. I'm patient though :) They will negotiate my trade-in and other terms about 2 weeks before the car is due in.
    F.Y.I. Here's more info on the closure (which seems to mostly affect the vistor's center):

Dear Brenda

Thank you for your further reply.

We can confirm that it is only the MINI Visitor Centre which is the subject
    of refurbishment.

Production of the MINI in all its forms will continue as before with MINIs
    rolling off the production line on a daily basis and also being delivered to
    MINI Dealerships, MINI Customers and MINI Shows throughout the UK and the
    rest of the world.

We hope that this reassures you and would advise that we are not yet aware
    of when the refurbishment will be complete.

Yours sincerely

MINI UK

Elfriede McNeal
    Product Information Advisor

Also, here's another comments on the matter at motoringfile.com:

To all concerned:

The factory closure will not delay the production of MINIs. However, it has severly decreased the monthly allocation to each dealership. MINI Delearships only received an allocation of 15 to 20 MINIs for August Production. This is very small compared to the usual 40 to 50 MINIs. When late September comes around, most MINI lots should be empty.

The 2006 Hardtop will be built through October for the United States. 2007 Hardtop production for the US Market will begin in December and should reach dealerships in February. Most dealerships will be receiving around 12 units for the first month.

Worldwide MINI Sales Down in 2006
    Sections: Sales Aug 3rd, 2006

Measures to expand the production capacity of the Oxford plant to approximately 240,000 units per year have impacted on the sales volume of the MINI brand over the six-month period. As a result of the reduced production volume during this period, worldwide MINI sales, at 101,063 units, were down by 6.5% compared to one year earlier (first half-year 2005: 108,114 units).

Source: BMW Group Press

MINI Plant Oxford To Close for Construction
    Sections: In the Press Jul 31st, 2006

As reported previously, BMW will be halting production for a couple of weeks while it puts the finishing touches on plant remodelling in anticipation of full R56 production. You can read more about it from the Sunday Times:

Last year Oxford built 200,119 Minis. Helmut Panke, who retires next month after four boom years as BMW chairman, predicts that production will rise to 230,000 over the next few years. BMW is spending £100m on expanding the Oxford facility and expects to create an additional 200 jobs there by the end of next year.

But, like the original BMC Mini of the 1960s, the car is not very profitable. Bernd Pischetsrieder, a former BMW chief who now heads VW, once described the sales margin as “unacceptable” and wanted to set the Mini Cooper’s price higher than the £11,600 at its 2001 launch.

[ BMW to Boost MINI Production ] Sunday Times
  • snowjet03snowjet03 Member Posts: 4
    i am trying to buy a mini but, i am having the worst trouble. i mean i know that they are high in demand. but, the dealers don't offer any incentives and they want you to take the price as is. what happened to negotiating.
  • cluedweaselcluedweasel Member Posts: 150
    Bear in mind that in the U.K., most people get between 4 to 6 weeks a year of vactaion time (plus the 9 public holidays). A lot of car plants will shut down for two weeks in the summer for general maintenance and cleaning.
    i just went to east bay mini on wednesday august 2. i fell in love with a grey mini. but, i wasn't in love with paying msrp. the fact that they are not willing to come down on the price. or work any kind of deal. sort of turns me off.
  • markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    Focus on the car you're getting for the money, not the discount. You can get a hell of a discount on a Chevy Cobalt or Dodge Stratus, but that doesn't make either a good value. The market is saying that the Mini is a good value at MSRP.

- Mark
    I think you and I were probably there at the same time. I was at the counter filling out forms while you were checking out the grey one with the sales woman.
  • patelkpatelk Member Posts: 4
    just bought a mini is southern california. Monrovia is selling at MSRP with free floor mats. that is the best deal that I could find in so cal. Hope this helps anyone who wants a mini.
  • martijnhmartijnh Member Posts: 24
    I just wanted to poll if anybody had recently put in an order for an 2006 MCS? With the 2007 around the corner, is anybody getting any deals?

Also, what is the consensus on adding options such as the DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) or LSD (Limited Slip Differential). Can one actually notice these things while driving?

Thanks for your input.
    I just ordered a '06 MCS from Moritz Mini in Texas. I'm supposed to take delivery of it in mid September. :shades:

In the past, I've bought two 1st year production cars (VW Jetta & Honda Civic) and I'd never do it again... It seems that there are always bugs that need to be worked out. Since 2007 has a new motor and body style, I'd stay clear for at least 2 years if it was me. I've been considering buying another MCS in 2009 or late 2008.
    The LSD is more for performance, the DSC more for safety.

If you like spirited driving, and are going to do anything on a track, the LSD is a must. It makes a huge difference taking a corner

I have mixed feelings about the DSC. Once your at speed, it can help significantly with regard to slipping. However, it's awful for taking off in slick stuff--it'll almost bring you to a complete stop, which can be very dangerous; it's just too intrusive. Fortunately, you can turn it off. If I had it to do over again, I'd get the LSD only, and hold off on the DSC, but that's just me.
  • yonahleyahyonahleyah Member Posts: 1
    I'm in Southern CA, looking at different dealer's mark-ups on internet customized coopers. Torrance in South Bay has no mark-up on MSRP. What's the catch? How do they make their money? Has anyone used this dealer yet? Right now I'm going with Irvine who has a 500 mark-up. I'm a first time car buyer, and a bit clueless...
    Dealers pay the 'Invoice Price' to get the car from the manufacturer. The difference between the MSRP and the Invoice Price is profit for the dealer. Usually, the manufacturer will also provide kick-backs. This means that the dealer will get money for x number of car sold, a certain % of the cars sold, etc.

Trust me that Mini dealers are making plenty of money. I have bought 2 Subarus and 1 Honda from dealer and paid very close to invoice every time. Those guys still made money too.

Do you research on this site before you buy your first car. It will save you lots of $$$.
  • heyheyjudeheyheyjude Member Posts: 12
    Hi y'all...I'm sorry if I'm posting in the wrong forum. I'm desperate for help, though, as I'm getting ready to buy a car and found this site last night (where I read as much as I could until 3:00 a.m. sigh). The only thing I'm certain of is that I've got to have a convertible. I've owned a Jeep Wrangler, but I need something reliable, mechanically sound, good for long distances and due to my location (can you tell I'm in the south?) which gets lots of snow, a vehicle that I can at least skid my way around in! I'm now in love with the Mini Cooper, but am thinking of an '06 instead of the '07, due to price. Am I being practical or do I just think that car is tooo cute? I also use my modes of transportation as a dog-mobile, so that's a factor. Please, anybody, help me make the right decision. Thank y'all so much! p.s. I've already requested dealer quotes and one of them called me about 30 min. ago, but it scared me to death, so I let voice mail handle it. Good grief, I need help. :cry::D
    p.s. I know NOTHING about wheels, engines, etc. Does anyone recommend particular sites that will tell me all I need to know (lol)? I'll be paying cash, so would that make any difference in MSRP or final price? Thanks again.
    I am not yet a full-fledged Mini owner, yet, because I have one on order. But, I am looking forward to it. Not sure you where you are in the south, but if you are near Memphis, you should check out Roadshow Mini. They are GREAT to deal with. I've put them through the ropes with all of my questions and test drives and they've never been anything but helpful. Also, their site is really helpful because they show "actual" pictures of the cars (instead of studio shots) and they have with good descriptions of what they have in the car (the Mini's are infinitely customizable, it seems). They seem to have a fair number of Convertibles on their lot, too. Most are automatic, I think. Don't know if that makes a difference to you or not.

As for the Mini, because I haven't owned one yet, I can't make much comment on reliability yet, but I've been reading a lot about them, asking friends, doing research. It seems the first 2 years (2002-2003) had problems, but that after 2004 they got better. I'm buying a 2006 for two reasons:
    1) I want the warranty so if there are any problems, it will be covered. The Mini is, afterall, a BMW, so they have to be a bit more tempramental then say a Toyota and they are a bit more expensive to repair. Brakes all around, for instance, I've been quoted, cost about $700. Oil changes are expensive, but they don't have to be done as often. Recommended every 10,000 miles because they use synthetic oil. The Cooper S requires premium gas; it's recommended for the Cooper, too, I think.

2) The 2007 Mini will be a new production year... it will be much the same as the 2006, but the production line is being retooled for some of the changes. If you read through this forum and talk to others, you'll see that first year production of a car is usually not a good time to buy. So, I decided to buy a 2006. If I like the Mini Cooper I ordered, I figured I can always keep it for a while or trade up to a better one in 2008, when they should have any kinks worked out.

I can't say how the car will function in snow, but I beleive the Mini is front-wheel drive, and they usually do better in snow.

They are small, so dogs... i don't know.

Above all, if you like the Mini, go for it, because my experience just test driving them has been great. They are fun to drive, cool, different, and easy to park! Why not have a car you like? And the gas mileage isn't bad (although I could be better!) I thought about the convertible, but beyond not being able to afford one right now, I sat in one and it seemed like the driver's seat did not go as far back as in the regular Cooper and S. Maybe I'm crazy, but I assume this is because they need some space in the back for the top to fold down. This is an issue for me because I'm 6'2" and need the legroom. In fact, besides loving the Mini, this is one of the reasons I'm buying one... because the driver seat goes all the way back. (No leg room behind it, but oh well). None of the other cars I've driven have had that legroom, except maybe the Rabbit.

One more thing... even though the Mini is dwarfed by "those SUVs", it does have a fairly good crash test rating (God forbid) and lots of airbags. So they are supposedly pretty safe.

Oh, and I have a friend that drove his across country and loved it! I'm planning a few road trips already if the car would just get delivered!!!

As for wheels... the run-flats sound like a good deal, but remember, they are more expensive to replace. The Cooper S obviously has more power than the Cooper, but the gas mileage isn't quite as good.

Hope this helps!
  • heyheyjudeheyheyjude Member Posts: 12
    Mini....I cannot believe you took so much time to reply and give me SO much invaluable information. I can't thank you enough, but be assured, you're more appreciated than you could know. The info. you provided is what I was needing. One thing you said really stood out to me, and that was buying a Mini strictly because I like it! I've been driving "Ole Ugly" for years and am at the point where I literally hate getting into it and having to go anywhere.
    I live outside of Asheville, NC, so I could certainly check out Memphis...do I actually need to go there? I.e., can I negotiate and do all that kind of thing over the phone, then go for pick-up? I'm sure that's a stupid question. The reason I HAVE to have a convertible is because of the Jeep I had. I loved the open-air feeling. I missed that about premium gas, but I can't afford the S, so "recommended" doesn't mean I HAVE to use premium, does it? Aside from that, I've only owned one Datsun, Toyota and 2 Subaru's, so I tend to stay away from American cars.
    Congratulations on yours! How exciting! It seems that I've read quite a bit about people having to wait (?). I really hope you get yours soon. The salesman who called awhile ago (I finally played his message) was calling from Greenville, SC, the nearest dealer; he said he had received my internet request and wants me to call him to discuss everything, so I don't know if that means they've got them on the lot or not. Maybe one of your road trips should be here, so you can do the salesman thing. Lol. May I ask if your color choice causes a longer wait than usual? I'm loving the green and the silver...phew, they are so cool looking.
    Lastly, Mini....how do I get over feeling sorry for the salesman, whose standard of living I feel I'm affecting if I don't pay more so he gets more commission? Is there not a way to bypass salesmen and just deal with a dealership? I.e., if I know what I want ('06 convertible, premium pkg., XXX color), do I STILL have to go through that process with salespeople?
    Thanks again for your help; I feel so much better about this vehicle, esp. since you did your homework and decided to buy one yourself. You've done a good deed today, believe me. Much appreciation!
    No problem... glad to help and inspire. I've gotten some good advice and help here, so I'm trying to give back. I'm obviously a bit of a miniac even without having one yet. Once I have mine, I'll be able to provide more concrete info. and experience. But I know I'm going to love it as most people here seem to. Having a car you actuallly like to drive makes a big difference, I think.

If you're in North Carolina, you should check the dealers nearby. There's one in Winston-Salem, NC, that has a good website... like the Memphis dealer, it has "real" pictures and info. It's www.flowmini.com. In terms of seeing how their prices are, find a car on there you like, then go to www.miniusa.com and build the same car and see how the prices align. Then you can see if they are raising the price at all. It might be hard to determine exactly because many dealers install little extras like floor mats, chrome tail pipe covers, aux. input jacks for MP3 players, etc.

You could definitely deal with the dealer here in Memphis and then pick it up, but i would suggest seeing the Mini in person and driving one if you haven't. There are so many custom options on the Minis that each one is different, so you need to make sure you know what you like -- i.e., what color dash you want, whether you want sport seats or regular seats, all the color combinations that are available. (FYI, I think the sport seats are a great improvement over the standard seats. And I think the mult-function steering wheel is great.)

The only two colors that are "free" are chilli red and pepper white. All of the other colors are $450. When you order, you can select whatever color combination you want; this doesn't add any time to the order. The biggest time issue is shipping the cars from England and then to the dealer, but I think they dock in South Carolina, so it should be quick to you. The avg. wait is 6-8 weeks after an order is placed. The other reason to order is you can customize the car exactly to your liking.

If you buy from the lot, most dealers order a mix of colors. I ordered the pure silver with black roof, but there are so many great color combinations that I'm still unsure if I made the right choice! I feel that I would get tired of the red quickly. The green is nice, too, esp. with a white roof. I usually don't like white, but Mini's Pepper White with a black roof is pretty cool. I think having a contrast roof is key, but there is an all Space Blue Metallic S on the Memphis lot that is pretty sweet. However, mine's already in the works and I'm sure I'll like it once it is here. The pure silver definitely doesn't show dirt as much. And I can always change to another color in the future!

Don't worry about the salesmen!! They are making money. These guys will not sell a car without making some money. Check what this poster wrote:

martijnh, "MINI Cooper: Prices Paid & Buying Experience" #459, 22 Aug 2006 12:38 pm

As far as I know you have to go through a salesperson. That's their job and they are getting paid something. In fact, they probably have a quota they are trying to make so they want customers. Just find one you like. Although I've only dealt with the dealer in Memphis, I think, generally, the Mini "culture" tries to promote a fun, friendly experience, not like "typical" car salesman, although based on posts from West Coasters, that may not be true there. The only thing Mini dealers won't do, is barter on the MSRP like other car dealers. They can sell their cars for MSRP and do.

As for the premium gas thing... I know the S requires it, but I'm unsure about the Cooper. I've heard all different theories. Some say you can swap between regular and premium, others say only premium. I'm going to see if I can find more about that and also ask the dealer and get their input.

So, go to the Winston-Salem or Charlotte dealer and drive one or two or three. Check out all the different options they have. I'm an automatic guy, but actually ordered a 5-speed because they are fun to drive. And most of all, don't feel pressured to buy one on the spot. Mini's are lesss of a commodity than other cars. They are specialty cars and the dealers know this. If you don't find the Mini you want on the lot, ask them what is "incoming" and see if it fits with what you want. Dealers can lookup what cars they have on order, and also what cars are already being shipped and are unspoken for -- this is a piece of info. I learned form the Memphis dealer - some cars are shipped but not allocated to a particular dealer until they hit U.S. shores, so dealers can put a request in for these cars. I test drove about 3 or 4 at the Memphis dealer. They were patient and then helped me place my order for the one I wanted.

Good luck!
  • bobo_cbobo_c Member Posts: 1
    Hi-
    I'm new to the board so please forgive me if this question's been answered in one form or another.

I just moved to Dallas, and am looking at Moritz Mini and BMW of Dallas.

The particular model I'm looking at (Moritz) is a new silver Cooper S Convertible that's been on the lot since March (it's nearly September). Is this a red flag? If the color was undesirable, this would be understandable, but that's
    not the case. It has black leatherette seats, steering wheel controls, and the Cold Weather Package. Does the long time it's been sitting on the lot give me any leverage in terms of negotiating?

Secondly, more of a general car industry question, as I'm going to buy now, but... is there a point when dealers will do ANYTHING to unload '06 models, or do they have some alternate methods of taking care of old excess inventory that don't involve selling in a panic?

Thanks for all your help...

BoBo_C
    It may be that a relatively lightly-loaded convertible (e.g., no leather) isn't a very popular car as most drop-top buyers are looking for more bling. Or perhaps the dealer is leaving it on the lot as a semi-demo model - they may be selling it as new, but I wouldn't be surprised if it has a few hundred miles on it. There is no hard rule on how many miles a car can have and still be sold as "new".

Yes, you can use the time it has sat or the demo miles on the car as negotiating tools. How much discount can you expect? Hard to say. Assuming the car has less than 50 miles or so and assuming it is the car you want, I'd start with maybe $2K off and see what they say. My guess is that they'll come off a grand at most.

Dealers will discount models that are not moving, but you're not going to get them to take $5K off or anything. They know what the car is worth and they understand that eventually a butt walks through the door for every seat. They're in the business and aren't going to be panic-selling anything at a fire-sale price. They'll probably negotiate, but have reasonable expectations. It all depends on the local supply/demand situation and it varies from month-to-month and even day-to-day.

- Mark
    I've just been notified that my Mini Cooper S is making it's way across the Ocean. I'm s-o-o-o-o excited! :blush:

I'm still debating whether to add the bike rack that fits on the rear of the Mini. Does anyone have this accessory on their Mini? How about installing one with the Rear Park Distance Control? I was told by my dealer that the "alarm" would only sound if I had bikes on the rack. Another dealer told me the opposite (that it would sound all the time whether there were bikes on the rack or not). Does anyone have any experience with this that wants to give me their take on it?

Thanks in advance...
  • leeshuckleeshuck Member Posts: 73
    One of my local dealers has one Mini Cooper S GP Edition available for $7,500 over the MSRP of $31,150 They are going to put another one on the floor for $10,000 over MSRP. The cars are supposed to arrive in late October.

Since only 2000 Mini Cooper S GP Editions are being produced worldwide, with 415 coming to the US, what do you think this car will be worth short term and long term?

Thanks,

Lee
    Hard to say. But I don't see these ever being worth the money to justify these markups. In fact, I wonder if, once the hoopla dies down, that they'll be able to sustain anything over MSRP. It's a cool Mini, but I don't see very many people paying $40K for a FWD souped-up econobox. There are just too many wonderful cars available for this kind of silly money. We're talking BMW 335i money here. I think this dealer is fishing for a sucker.

And you've got the new turbo cars coming - it's quite possible that within a year or two, Mini will produce a variant of the new model for $26K which blows the doors off this model for $14K less. This just feels like a last-gasp attempt to inject some new life in the old model.

- Mark
  • jaydeepbjaydeepb Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

I'm interested in custom odering a 2006 Mini Cooper S and wanted to know how the experience has been. Is there anything that can be done with pricing? I'm in the Tri-State area.

Thanks for the help!

Jaydeep
    If you want one of the current-generation 06's you're proabbly past the ordering deadline. The factory is starting the conversion over to the new 07's which are heavily revised, including a completely new engine.

- Mark
  • jaydeepbjaydeepb Member Posts: 5
    Quick update! I went to Mini of Manhatten and ordered my 2006 Hyperblue Mini Cooper S. it will be develivered mid to end of October!! I'm really excited and can't wait! Didn't want to buy a car from the lot.

Jaydeep
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter seeks to talk with current owners of the Mini Cooper. Please send your daytime contact info and the model year of your vehicle to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, September 27, 2006.

Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • gazoo93gazoo93 Member Posts: 1
    Just started lurking here a couple days ago and found lots of good info. Thanks all. I just ordered a 2006 Mini Cooper S hardtop from Towson Mini (i.e. Baltimore), so they still have some open slots if that helps anyone.
  • vzebrovzebro Member Posts: 9
    Hi,
    We would like to buy our first mini and are looking at two, privately owned used Mini S types.

Car 1 is a 2005 with 20,500 miles on it. Premium/ Cold weather & Sports packages. Automatic transmission. Harmon Kardon sound system. From the pics looks very well maintained. I happen to know the owner and she is asking $24,000 but would let us have it for $22,000.

Car 2 is a 2004 also with 20,500 miles. John Cooper Works & Power Packages. Sport/ Cold Weather & Convenience packages. Leather seats & Navigation system. Harmon Kardon sound system. The owner is asking around $23,000.

Which should we go for??? I have heard that '05 is a 'better' car, but the '04 is so well optioned. Please advise asap as we need to make a decision within a day or two!

Thank You!!
    Hmm. They're quite different cars. I guess the color is not that important to you?

Car #1 is an automatic, so that would rule it out for me. Knowing the owner is a big plus.

Car #2 is stacked with the JCW and navigation. This car's warranty could expire soon.

It's a personal choice. I don't care much for navigation. Automatic would be a showstopper. That said, if you don't mind the automatic, then I would go with #1. BTW, these prices seem reasonable. May I ask where you live?
    We actually like that it is automatic - no problems with clutchs that people keep mentioning! Also seems a lot quieter - we have test driven both and preferred the automatic. I guess it depends on the purpose of the car, but we plan on using the car as a commuter car.
    I wonder though if most people would want stick shift - don't want to have a problem with resale??
    Agree that the warrenty expiration is a concern with car #2.
    It's a tough decision!!

We live in New Jersey.
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    I'd personally go with a non-S with 6 speed and exactly the few options you want. For about 20K, new.

ie - the NEW 2007 models will have a massive improvement in power in the base version - enough that a 6-speed in it will be about halfway between the old base and the old S.
    For a NJ commuter car with bad weather and worse roads, I'd never recommend a Mini Cooper of any sort. Their ride is quite punishing over rough roads, they get fairly lousy gas mileage for their size, and they're fairly low slung so they don't handle snow very well even with good all-season or snow tires. (They're proverbial hockey pucks with performance tires.) Finally, I'd always place stone axe reliability and ease of servicing as a #1 priority in a commuter, and Mini's are average at best in both of these areas.

I'd recommend a Mazda 3 which can be had brand new for MUCH less than you're going to pay for either of these used Minis.

- Mark
    Interesting! I e.mailed a friend who has a mini and asked her opinion _ I've pasted what she said below. Amazing how opinions differ, I guess in the end we just have to do what works best for us and hope it all works out!! :) Thanks so much for the input though - it all helps!
    -----------------------------------------------------

I completely disagree. The car is front wheel drive so that makes it
    better in snow compared to an all wheel drive vehicle. Also, I'm not
    sure if the guy that you spoke with had the sports package on his Mini
    but with that package comes the dynamic stability control which also
    helps with driving in icy conditions...basically if you start to slide
    the stability control kicks in and distributes the weight of the car to
    stop the sliding. I didn't drive it a lot in snowy conditions because,
    you're right, the NJ turnpike is usually cleared and clean in bad
    weather, however, in visiting Bobby's relatives in Vermont over
    Christmas we drove in a lot of snow and had no problem.