Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

MINI Cooper Prices Paid

Comments

• tshirktshirk Member Posts: 2
    I have the opportunity to purchase a 2005 Mini-Cooper with clean car fax and in perfect condition. Drives like a dream. Has leather seats, panoramic sunroofs and a number of other upgrades. From what I can tell the orginal price was around $28,000. I am able to purchase it for $18,700. Is this a good deal? I understand these cars tend to hold their value. Also, how does it handle in the snow? It seems like it would be better being closer to the ground, but then of course not if you get stuck in unplowed snow. Would appreciate any feedback. After spending two full days driving this litte cutie, I am in love with it!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,772
    Is that a MINI Cooper S model? If not, then $28K seems awfully high for an original price..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• ticatica Member Posts: 64
    What is a 'stick' and what does 'invoice' price mean exactly?
  • cct1cct1 Member Posts: 221
    Invoice is what the dealer actually payed for the car.

Sticker price is the MSRP--the sticker you see on the car itself, or what the dealer is selling the car for. Its substantially marked up over the invoice.

For a car less in demand, the way to go is to find the invoice price, and negotiate off of it rather than the sticker price. For years, the Mini sold at MSRP--no discounts, or rare discounts. It was more common to pay sticker and have a few freebies thrown in (mats, etc). This isn't necessarily a bad thing to the owner--it helps maintain the value of the car--ie less depreciation.

However, with the 2007s officially released this weekend, dealers will be more inclined to deal on the 2006s.
  • tshirktshirk Member Posts: 2
    I may of course be way off, I was looking at the base price and adding in the amounts for the options.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934
    "stick" is as in "stick-shift" or manual transmission.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• billymaybillymay Member Posts: 59
    Probably too late, given when you posted, but I rejected a Mercedes SLK in '05 because it had been banged up during transport and the front bumper partially (and badly) resprayed while the car was in port.

There's no reason for a car with 12 miles on the odometer to be less than perfect.

It's resale is already less than that of car with a full original factory paint job.
  • hotdogonastickhotdogonastick Member Posts: 30
    i received a call at 11am today. my S arrived an hour before. i went straight after work and picked up my pepper white cooper s. there is a difference in how it drives compared to the previous s (and i haven't even put the sport mode on). i can't wait until the break in period is over...i paid 27k (and change) out the door. all i got was the sport package, lsd, stereo upgrade, extended warranty and lo jack.
  • minime7minime7 Member Posts: 8
    Just purchased a 2007 Mini S. Mellow Yellow/checkered carbon black cloth. Base MSRP was 21,200 and options included Sport package (1,400), leather steering wheel ($300), and mats, detail/full tank of gas (175.00). The dealership had installed sportier wheels on it to the tune of $3500 and agreed to pull them off. They had also installed "driver lights" ($900) which we didn't care about, but they couldn't remove them without damage to the grill, so we split the cost and kept them. With license, destination and title, out the door for $24,500. So, basically paid MSRP. After calling several dealerships, it's apparent they're loading the cars up with options and most Mini S's seem to run $26,000 to 30,000. Would like to know what forum members think of the run-flat tires? Have heard some negatives.....
    The second generation runflats on the 2007 Mini are substantially better than the runflats on previous generation--especially if you have the goodyears.

Which tires did you get, all-seasons or performance? If you went the all season route, you're fine--that means your using it mainly for everday driving. If you got the performance tires, you're still probably fine (especially if you got the Goodyear Excellence runonflats; these have gotten rave reviews overseas, but aren't available from dealers yet. Should be soon though now that the Mini's are hopefully shipping with them). The Dunlops are good too, but the Goodyears are supposedly the best.

If, however, you're doing anything on the track, you'll probably want a different nonrunflat tire. These are lighter, with a softer sidewall, and stickier--they perform better at the track. If, however, you're just into occasional spirited driving, I'd stick with the runflats, especially since the ride comfort problems with the previous generation runflats have been addressed with the new generation of runflats.
  • brucepadgettbrucepadgett Member Posts: 30
    Hi. I'm considering a similar purchase. Would you please tell me which dealer in SoCal offered you the $24.5 deal? Thanks.
    Thanks for the information on the run-flats. I don't know what the car will have on it. The tires that came on it were removed and sold, so they're waiting for some more Mini's to come in so they can change out the expensive tires for standard ones. The dealership told me it's not easy to order 17" tires and rims and that it would take a long time to get them in. I know it sounds weird, but they indicated this would take about two or three weeks for them to get the tires they need, so my car is sitting in the showroom for the next couple of weeks. Sounds like if you're not going to do any track work that you can't go wrong with anything they put on them. That's a relief.
    You should be fine with runflats--just make sure its the new generation of runflats--Goodyear Excellence Runonflats if you can get them, although the Dunlops should be fine too.

Just make sure its the NEW runflats/rims--the 2006 and earlier rims/tires should fit the 2007--you don't want to get stuck with these; I believe the offsets are the same, but I'm not 100% on this as there has been some conflictin information with regard to this. You don't want to get stuck with previous generation runflats on a new 2007--the quality of ride will suffer significantly (If its goodyear excellence, you'll be fine--the previous goodyears had a different name. If its the Dunlop's, be careful, because the previous generation Dunlop's had a similar name to the newer Dunlop runflats).

Out of curiosity,what is on the car now if the dealer took the rims off and sold them? Did they put 16's on there because someone wanted 17's? I'm surprised they did this on a 2007 this early in the production run.
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    Runflats are always a poorer tire than the normal ones - and more money. If you get a flat, the tire's toast anyways, so the only reason you'd have runflats would be to get to the local garage, right? Well, a can of "slime" or simmilar will do the same job.

For a car this light, 16s are quite overkill as it is. 17s just add more cost anyways.(and low profile tires are much harder on you - it feels "sporty" because you got rid of 15-20% of your cushoning. (ie - don't confuse "sporty" with rattling your teeth out)

All-season tires stink as well. They are worse than performance tires on dry and in rain. The only reason they exist at all is in case you run into mud or snow, and for someone in Southern California... yeah... not taking the Mini to the snow. The old 4-Runner "beater" is what that's for.
  • daquickdaquick Member Posts: 1
    Hi there, I purchased a 2006 in September (and love it).

1. If you are purchasing a brand new one, expect to pay sticker. If looking used, you can negotiate.
    2. My dealer does it at 9,000 miles. Even I think that is a bit iffy... however, it is a long drive to the dealership, so maybe it is worth it. Just check the oil level periodically and add if you need to.
    3. If you put the back seats down, you'll have no problems getting a large dog in. I can fit both my 50 lb dogs. One is a chow mix and the other is a greyhound/terrior mix.
    The second generation runflats supposedly approach nonrunflats in stickiness, comfort, and noise--there apparently isn't nearly as much difference as they used to be, and for everyday driving, runflats are probably better. There are advantages to the stiffer sidewalls--turn in is better. Uf I wasn't going to the track, I'd go with 2nd generation runflats. If you need road service, it'll be covered by Mini as long as you have runflats; if you have nonrunflats, it won't. Also, the suspension on the 2007 has been optimized for runflats, and the ride with the current setup is very, very good--much better than the previous generation Mini (I have a 2006, and I prefer it to the 2007, but for reasons other than ride comfort, which definitely is better on the 2007). The problem with the 2006 was that runflats were a last minute addition--the suspension had been set up to run nonrunflats, and the last minute switch resulted in the suspension being relatively too stiff for runflats. Not the case with the 2007 Mini, the second generation runflats are very good and the car was designed specifically with these in mind. I almost wonder if nonrunflats would be too soft for the new Mini, but time will tell (I'd still go nonrunflats for track/autocross).

Slime btw does terrible damage to rims--you're better off with a plug, which you can also buy and store in your car if you want to go with nonrunflats.

There is a difference with ride on 16 and 17 inch wheels, but it also depends on the width of the tire as well, but it won't be as noticeable on the 2007 as it was with the 2006. The new 2007 rides just fine on 17's with the new suspension, and because of the bigger wheel arches, anything less than 17 inches looks too small in the wheel well. Alot of people run 18 or even greater on their Mini; I think 17 is the perfect choice for size/comfort (Eighteen or higher is pushing it).

I use the all seasons runflats in winter, performance nonrunflats in the summer and for the track(Goodyear F1's), although I need lighter rims--next on my agenda for this summer.
    Thanks for all the information on the runflats. Very good to know. Another question I have is regarding the stereo. The 2007 Mini S I just purchased has the standard stereo in it. I SO wish it had the Harmon Karden upgrade, but it is what it is. My salesman said he thought the standard unit is an Alpine unit. My understanding is that the stereo is integrated into the car in such a way that it is extremely difficult to replace. That being the case, I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck with putting in some really cool speakers and did it really boost the sound system? Any ideas?
    We don't know what's on the car now. Just know that they were valued at $3500 (some high-performance tire) and we didn't want them. Salesman said they usually stack the original tires somewhere so if the customer doesn't want the custom wheels, they could put the original ones back on. However, somehow the original ones got sold. They're going to put the 17's back on once the get them in.
    As for the stereo, your dealer is right--you can't place an aftermarket headunit. The problem with simply adding speakers is that it might not work out so well without an amp--and its going to be hard, if not impossible, to get an amp inline with the headunit. I would definitely wait on this until someone comes up with an aftermarket solution--there are other websites more Mini specific that would be worth looking at for something like this.

As for the tires currently on your car, high performance tires should run no more than about 250 bucks a piece--meaning that the bulk of the cost for those wheels is in the rims. I wonder what the heck they put on there, because thats some serious money for rims/tires, unless the dealer is marking them way up, which is what I suspect, especially given the fact that the dealer should have deducted the price of the previous tires and rims. Unless you need lightweight rims or are going for a specific look, you're better off with the standard rims--they're much cheaper, so if they ever need to be replaced, it can be done at a reasonable price. I actually have MINI OEM R90 rims on mine with a performance tire for the summer, and they were significantly cheaper than 3500 with high performance tires, and the R90's aren fairly expensive.
  • kwma3kwma3 Member Posts: 11
    I am in the market for a 2007 Mini Cooper S and would like to know what other people are paying so I know how much to offer. Any suggestions (price, dealership, etc..) are welcome. Thanks.
    Good luck getting anything under MSRP. Some of the dealerships are adding additional markup. We got our 2007 (S) at Rasmussen BMW in Portland and paid sticker. There aren't alot of Mini's to choose from right now, and there's alot of interest in the new models.
  • tkokicktkokick Member Posts: 6
    Hello all -

From what it looks like, there are many on this board who are passionate about their minis!! I love the way they look, and am considering a new 2007, but since I have always had bigger cars, I have some questions.

1. The trunk space is small - has anyone had issues with that? I am a writer and a speaker, and need to take an overnight bag and a box of books with me to engagements - is it too small for that?

2. The 2007 model, from what I understand, has a new engine and some redesign. Does anyone have any impressions on the 2007? Should I be concerned about bugs/ issues in the 2007?

3. Are there any options that are a "have to have" feature? I like a pretty loaded car.

4. Any other information that anyone thinks is important for me would be enormously appreciated. I have been driving an Infiniti FX for the last four years, and that was a great car, but too big for me. I like the environmental rating on the 07 mini, so that is a big plus for me.

Thanks in advance for any help!

:o)
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    I have noticed the small trunk in Minis I've seen.
    If you need to have passengers in the back seats, the trunk is close to useless. If not, you can fold the rear seats and have more room than the trunk of a very large car.

You can also wait another year and get the Clubman model that will have much more space in the back.
    I'm picking my 2007 Mini this Saturday. Went back to the dealership last Sunday and they had the seats folded down in my car. Lots of room for stuff. My car doesn't have a sunroof. I think the sunroof makes the car feel bigger inside (just my opinion). My car also has the standard stereo. Would have liked the Harmon Kardon and plan to upgrade my speakers aftermarket. I drove the Mini and thought it was OK, then drove the Mini S six speed. What a scream! So much more fun and the gas mileage estimates are still at 28 and 36. Many of the cars coming in are loaded with options and packages and if you like your car loaded, should have no problem. My salesman said he had 16 calls to return today to people interested in getting a Mini. I'm taking a leap of faith that there aren't a ton of things go wrong with the first generation of this engine.
    The new trunk is a little larger, but the real deal is that the rear seats fold down nicely, so it's really a mini-hatchback. As for reliability, the old engine weas made in Brazil. The new one is made in Europe Proper. Same with the manual gearbox - massive improvement.

Tons of tweaks. The original felt a bit half-finished, like the original Miata did. Great and all, but dated from day one. This feels BMW polished and refined. Nothing you can really put your finger on instantly, but tons of small things that add up to a better car.

Now if I could only get a chromed roof... :P
    The old engine, (the one made in Brazil) the Tritec, is a tried and true bulletproof iron block engine. The supercharged version on the Mini S has won some impressive awards--its a well respected engine in the industry. It's very reliable, and virtually indestructible; reliability has proven to be outstanding.

The new engine is much more sophisticated, but the jury is out on wether its more reliable. Its simply too soon to tell. I personally lament that although a lot has been gained with refinement, a lot has also been lost in what made the Mini so much fun in the first place--the engine doesn't growl, pop, and whine like it did before--these are many of the sensations that got a bunch of us hooked on the Mini in the first place. As for engine reliability, I suspect the base cooper engine will be just fine, but I'm a bit leery about the twin scroll turbo on the S.

I would not buy a 2007 if you're after reliability. There have been some serious problems already with the 2007's. I'd wait until 2008 it it were me. It took BMW a few years to get the bugs worked out of the previous Mini; I'd be hesistant to buy anything built before 2004, and I'd be hesitant to buy anything with regard to the new model until 2008 at the earliest. BMW's track record simply hasn't been that good with the new Mini.

Personally, I prefer the 2006 to the 2007. I bought a 2006 to hedge my bets; I loved the car and wasn't so sure about the 2007. I bought the 2006 with the thought that if I ended up liking the 2007 better I'd trade in for it, but there's no way I'm doing that now that I've seen/driven the 2007. I'll keep my 2006 forever (just added the JCW package to it recently). It's a more visceral drivers car, but less refined and comfortable. I would agree though that the gearbox is better in the 2007. Side by side the 2006 is significantly better looking (there had to be some compromises on the 2007 to take into account the new Euro pedestrian laws), but you have to know what you're looking for. The majority of people will prefer the 2007, as its definitely the better everyday driver; but the 2006 is the more fun car to drive. Depends on what your priorities are.

You mention room. One thing to consider is the Mini Clubman--its the extended wheelbase version of the Mini Cooper, which should be available this fall. It'll have an additional 18 inches of length, which will aid both boot space and rear legroom. I may be in the market for one of these myself someday.
    Yes, the Clubman may be more practical for anyone who needs to load even a few bags of groceries behind the rear reats.
    The current model has no real carrying space unless you fold down the rear seats. If you consider it a 2-seater and can live with that, it will be an OK car for cargo.
    Even the Clubman will have marginal, smallish (as opposed to useless) rear seat room for adults. It won't exactly have the back seat of an Avalon or even a Civic sedan for that matter.
    Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who responded. I really appreciate the input, and did think about the 2007 long and hard. I also spoke to a couple of people that have the 2007, and LOVE it, so, while I am hesitant that there will be some issues, I decided to go for it, as maintenance is included in the first 4yrs/ 48 months, and I am leasing for 36.

So, yesterday I ordered a 2007 Cooper S, Mellow Yellow with sport, nav, convenience, and premium. I cannot wait to get it - but it will be about 8 weeks! I am excited about being a mini owner - actually more excited than I have been about any car I have ever had!

On another note, I can't say enough about the people at Tom Bush BMW/ MINI in Jacksonville. If you are going to contact via internet - talk to Steve Aten. You will have the most pleasant, low pressure, and honest experience you have ever had buying a car. If you are going to the dealership, either talk to Steve, or talk to Nick at MINI - he is passionate about these cars, and, although we were already working with Steve, he had nothing but great things to say about Nick. In fact, Nick was more than happy to answer all my questions and be available to help, even though it was not his sale!

I will post again when I get the MINI in a few weeks - until then, thank you all so very much!
  • irisheyes44irisheyes44 Member Posts: 15
    The dealer I am working with is coming down 500.00 plus 2.9% financing, on a 2006 mini convert manual with msrp of 25850. Can I do better in upstate NY?
    When dealing for the car above the salesman said the maintenance was 3 yr, 36000 miles on a 2006. Are the 2007's 4 year 48000 miles?
    On our 2007 Mini, maintenance (free oil changes, wipers, etc.) is 3 years/36000 miles and the warranty runs 4 years/48000 miles on the drivetrain, etc.
    How easy would it be for a old dog to learn a new trick, driving a mini manual? Have found the car but its manual and I have only driven automatic all my life. I am turning 50 and want to try something new and fun. How about?
    The Mini Cooper--especially the base model--is one of the most forgiving manuals you'll ever drive, very easy to shift, very difficult to stall, and they now have anti rollback on the new models. I'd definitely strongly recommend it--its a great gear box--you'll have a blast! The Mini begs to be driven as a manual; although the new automatic isn't bad, its not nearly as much fun as the manual (paddle shifters are a nice touch, but they're not all that functional as they are on the Volkswagen GTI--for a Cooper, definitely go with a stick if you can). If you know someone who can teach you, that would be ideal; I've even heard of some Mini dealerships teaching customers on their demo's prior to purchase. A driving school is also an option, but its probably overkill.

The S is not quite as forgiving, but its relatively easy to shift as manuals go too. If you're buying the car for fun, I'd recommend throwing caution to the wind and get the S. You'll pick it up in no time, and its definitely worth it, especially for what you're getting the car for. A little practice, and you'll be shifting with no problems.

Oh, and I'm assuming you're right handed--its a bit tougher for a lefty to learn a manual--not impossible, but its a bit tougher.
    It is possible to learn to drive a stick at 50. It is a good skill to have for an emergency (like how to start a fire with two twigs if you got stuck on a deserted island), but it would get old very fast in day to day driving.

Everyone should know how to swim, how to call 911 and how to drive a stick shift, but not everyone needs to own a stick shift car.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    The Mini Cooper S has a money factor of 00280 but so far all the mini dealers are claiming it's 287, 290, etc.

Anyone know of mini dealership that isn't marking up leases? They're essentially making it impossible to lease the car.
    Hi -

Just wondering how you found out that the MINI S has a money factor of .00280. I just ordered a MINI and the dealer is giving me a money factor of .0034 - obviously, much higher.

I'd like to be able to tell them that the standard MF is .00280 and get them down. We have good credit and are already leasing a BMW, so obviously, we should be getting some consideration here.

Thanks in advance for your help! :)
    Got it from a guy at leasecompare.com. He posts the manufacturer MF/Residuals for all cars - if you ask - on Bimmerfest.com. I found one dealer last night willing to do 0.0032 (which is still stupid expensive but better than 0.0042!).
  • subie321subie321 Member Posts: 2
    Is there any room to haggle the price from MSRP when ordering a 2007 MINI cooper through the dealer? Are MINIs currently just selling off at MSRP?? Thanks.
    Hi
    I've been fantasizing about owning a Mini for about 6 months now. Test drove a 2006 last fall. I went to the NYC dealer yesterday to try to test drive a 2007 and met a guy who owned a 2005 who was bringing it in to see what they'd give him for it. He wanted to trade it in for a bigger BMW. We were just chatting at first and I was asking him about the car, he said he loved it, no probs, it was just too small.

Anyway, then it occurred to me to give him my card just in case he wasn't going to sell it to them. So he called yesterday and (not surprisingly) they offered him less than he wanted to take to trade it in.

He offered it to me 2005 Cooper S, all black, 'fully loaded' with 6-CDs, automatic and only 14,000 miles. (He doesn't use it much.) He said the bluebook was 19-20,000 and said he wanted 18,000. He said it had a 3 year warranty, so one year left.

It did have a few small scratches on driver's side door but other than that looked good. I'm going to meet iwth him to test drive and discuss, but what does everyone think? I think that he was honest about it being in good ocniditon because he told me before we even thought of it being a possible sale, just in chatting about the car.

My thoughts are this--
    1. It's low mileage...so theoretically not likely to have major probs till around 50K right? But then again, not much of a warranty.
    2. 18,000 seems hi for a 2 year old car, even if it's loaded, esp as there is no warranty to speak offf

3. Would it be better just to get the non-S mini in a new 2006 or 2007 for 4000-5000 more and then also get the 4 year warranty and brand new plus better features, etc.?

I imagine I can talk him down a little...17? Is it worth it then?
    I have NO EXPERIENCES with cars (have never owned one), so I am curious--what was the dealer likely to have offered him...10k?

any opionions appreicated!

thanks!
    tica

PS--someone on this post recently said that they got an upstate NY dealer offereing 2.9% financing for 2006s. Is that for sale or lease? nad which dealer?

also, I think I read and these posting that 2005s break a lot...?
    what is a money factor?

tica
    It's a blast. We financed it - save for the TTL which i paid. As Ky pointed out to me, the value of used minis is so high that I will be able to part with it and end up ahead. Plus I won't feel badly about modding it!
    Yes, dealers still have 2006 models on their lots that they want to move, so no discounts on 2007s.
    They still normally sell for MSRP anyway. Most dealers gouge and sell over MSRP to people too desperate to walk away and look elsewhere.

As long as you don't go crazy with options and end up with a $30K Cooper or $34K Cooper S, you will get alot of your money back at resale.

I wonder what kind of real world resale value people have when they have a fully loaded model and try to sell in a couple years? I think many buyers would just buy a new one with less options instead of paying over $25K-30K for a loaded 2 year old Mini with nav and all the expensive options.
    Simple as that. The new models are going to drop the "elite" status from the first generation quickly - maybe in a year or so. Expect a massive price adjustment on them. The new models will hardly depreciate like the originals did, by comparison. And the new models are quite honestly, nicer, more polished version of the original. Shoot, moving the battery to under the hood/bonnet is a major plus. The lights are better. The dash is better. The back seat isn't as cramped. The center console doesn't look odd - and the guages aren't always ha;f hidden by the steering wheel. Tons of small things that add up to a world-class experience.
    It is quite a change. From the power to the way the car uses RFTs, it's an entirely different vehicle. Everyone so far is shocked by how zippy the car is, yet composed and relaxed at 80-90, etc.
  • subie321subie321 Member Posts: 2
    It is nice how the mini will hold onto it's resale value. What are some of the option and accessories that you can't live without or wish you had gotten? Are the front and rear foglights able to be installed as a DIY modification? Thanks for the help.
  • bingo883bingo883 Member Posts: 9
    Although the new one is better in most dept. (especially in the handling dept.) but the look on the original is much more interesting, more fun, more compact, more slim, more cute, more unique, more MINI!!!!
    The new one feels more like a .... er.... CAR....(if you know what I mean!?!?) That's how I see it.
    By the way, I don't have either model sitting in my garage.
    LSD
    Comfort Access

I despise having to fish for my keys - I had an 06 330i with Comfort Access and you get used to it really fast.

LSD goes without saying.
    First off, wheels are moot - the car doesn't generate enough torque to even require the stock tires it has, let alone 17-18 inchers. So opt for the stock tires and if you really want rims, get them later for less money. Standard tires are also better riding and less expensive. Get performance in any case - they work better in the rain than all-seasons(which only help in snow and such, but the car really needs SNOW TIRES if you drive it in snow all the time)

Here goes - my list:
    first off, get the S. Worth every penny. And let's face it - everyone wants a used S and not he standard model as well.(true with most cars - always get the upper-end engine if you buy new).

- I like dark colors. I would personally opt for dark blue with all of the chrome exterior bits for a few hundred more. I also like the clear rear lenses, which is how they look n Europe.(350 total)

- No packages. No sunroof. It kills the clean looks of the car and makes it into an oven inside, plus it's so far back that you can't see up and out of it while driving unless your seat is so far back that you have no rear seat. Get the items separately.

- Sport suspension, DSC, limited slip.
    - Bridge Spoke wheels(look better, no extra money)
    - Rear fog light(amazed this isn't standard in the U.S. yet)
    (fog light are std - and the xenon aren't any better than the regular lights(as opposed to HID) - and they look less attractive - not worth $550 in any case)
    - Arm rest
    - Cloth seats. Leatherette is Vinyl and hot as hell in the summer.
    - Interior trim is your choice - I'd opt for chrome lined interior(keep it simple) ($200) and that's it.
    - A/C - $300 - much better deal than getting a package
    - I don't think ANY of the instrument options are good for the money. Pass entirely.(the remote access is nice, but $500 is way too much)
    - Multi-function wheel is nice. Ignore the "do you want his package - you save roughly $500 this way by not getting the terrarium roof option.
    - Stock audio. Upgrade later yourself with a few good Alpine speakers instead.(cabin is so small 4 speakers is more than enough)
    $25,500 for a S with all of the necessary goodies and no fluff. This includes $1500 in suspension and handling options.

Accessories I like:
    Chrome Exhaust(matches the rest of the chrome nicely)
    Mud flaps are nice.
    Glovebox organizer.
    Map Light
    Rubber Floor Mats - front, rear, and boot. ($134) - Well worth it, IMO, to protect the carpet.
    Bumper Protector.

Accessories I don't like:
    Driving lights are nice, but pass - $550 is more than you'll ever need to install some Hela driving lights if you want - and they'll look and work better as well)

Invisishield and so on - just do it yourself. Look online for Novus. They make plastic polishes that keep your plastic looking good as new - and lots cheaper too.

Extras/JCW - this is where your miserly approach pays off. :)

JCW Strut Brace - nice - stiffens it up a lot.
    JCW Drilled Rotors - you can never have too good brakes. I'd rather have these two options than bigger wheels anyday.

*note* the audio jack is available but isn't listed - it's not too pricey, though.

I get $26,419 like this, or $25,394 with no chrome and a basic color like white. Outfitted this way, it's a superb performer AND it has maximum resale value, being that it has all of the performance options and little or none of the bling.(appeals to the performance minded enthusiast)

The non-s runs about $22-23K after you add in all of the packages and such to make it look like this, so the S is a no-brainer.
    Unfortunately, mine came with PDC (why anyone would need PDC on a car this size is beyond me).

Otherwise:

Sport Package (can't live without xenons) - sadly it came with 17 inch RFTs. They're not bad actually. i was surprised after my experience with the BMW RFTs last year. Still a swap will come.
    Sport suspension
    Leatherette - black/gray (it never gets that hot here)
    Brushed Alloy trim
    Cold Weather Package - my fiancee loves this as it includes heated seats
    Anthracite headliner (missed that from my 2003 330i)
    PDC (weird)
    Lightning Blue (dark blue)
    White roof/mirror caps

I totally want the JCW strut brace. I told my fiancee if I haven't bought it by my B-day, easy gift.

Still wish it had the CA and LSD though. :( But it's soooo much fun, I can live with it as is. And CA won't add to resale anyway.
  • martijnhmartijnh Member Posts: 24
    That's as good of a summary as I have ever seen re: the MINI options. I would say that some of the choices depend on how you plan to drive the MINI and where you live, but I totally agree with your assessment. Actually, I pretty much purchase my S with the same guidelines. I did get the sunroof, however, and I really like it.

Motor on!!! :shades: