Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Impala Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• unkownuserunkownuser Member Posts: 23
    worr, are you sure that Red Tag price doesn't ALREADY include the $1000 rebate? And that therefore it is really going out for ~$500 OVER invoice?
  • worrworr Member Posts: 45
    If you did get the rebate (and you don't) you would be 1500 under invoice. You can go to edmunds and price it for yourself....and then go to the gm web site and hit the red tag sale. It IS below invoice.

Any idea how to get supplier price?
  • triogemtriogem Member Posts: 32
    Red tag price should be over invoice and you cannot get rebate. correct me if I am wrong.
    I have only researched one vehicle. In my illustration...and you can do the numbers for yourself...it is $500 plus BELOW invoice.

My guess is, however, you can do even better once the rebates are back and red tag is over.
  • jontalusjontalus Member Posts: 5
    I went online and got the RED TAG price of a 2005 LS of $26,460. I walked into Sansone Cheverolet in NJ and when a salesman asked if he could help me I said, "I'd like to buy the 2005 LS for $19,000". He said "OK" and I bought it. I got $7460.00 off the price. I think I got an good deal. :D
  • zjimzjim Member Posts: 51
    $26,460 Red Tag Price for an LS! That's impossible unless maybe if you're in a foreign country! That would mean a MSRP of over $28,000US. A completely loaded LTZ is in that price range! For the record, LS's are being advertised at just over $18,000 in the Milwaukee area. By the way, the Red Tag price includes the $1000 rebate. I "built" a completely option loaded LS on the Chevrolet website. Total MSRP was $22,670. The Red Tag price was $20,382.00. Since most dealers are now selling for $500 below Red Tag, a good buying price for the loaded LS would be about $19,800 or so.
    The LS red tags for just over 19k. So not sure how you figure you got so much money off the price.
  • jerrymcshane1jerrymcshane1 Member Posts: 195
    So let me get this straight, GM is REDUCING their sticker prices so as to be more competitive? All the while, they DROPPING their cash incentives? They reduce the price by $1,000 and discontinue the cash incentive of $1,500? Wow, what a deal.
  • imoldfellaimoldfella Member Posts: 15
    Why does CA, FL rate 1.99 gas and $2000 rebate and PA only gets $500 rebate? I like GM cars but their pricing is whack.

Also, Edmunds is running the rebates as $2500, am I missing something?
  • pgh111pgh111 Member Posts: 11
    Here are the specs I received on a 2006 Impala LTZ, superior red:
    Selling Price - $26,215, residual 58% for 36 months 10,000 miles per years, 4.75 money factor. They had a lease rebate of $1,760 and I have GM points of $1,260. Tax on leases in PA is 10%, they quoted me $326.29 a month. Nothing due at signing (Sign & drive), acquisition fee was $595. Is this a fair deal? Thank you.
  • balichbalich Member Posts: 62
    I purchased a '06 Impala last week .. did I do OK ...

IMPALA LT SEDAN
    3.5L 211 HP SFI V6 ENGINE
    4 SPEED AUTO TRANSMISSION
    GLACIER BLUE METALLIC
    EBONY INTERIOR

MANUFACTURER'S SUGGESTED RETAIL PRICE
    $ 20,830.00

Options installed by Manufacturer

FRONT SEATS, BUCKET
    NO CHARGE

NO CHARGE

UNIVERSAL GARAGE OPENER
    $ 100.00

2LT PREFERRED EQUIPMENT GROUP:
    16" ALUMINUM WHEELS
    AM/FM STEREO W/ RDS, CD & MP3
    PLAYER & AUXILIARY INPUT JACK
    (REPLACES STD/OPT/PKG RADIO)
    LEATHER WRAPPED STEERING WHEEL
    WITH AUDIO CONTROLS
    $ 740.00

SUNROOF, POWER
    $ 900.00

TOTAL OPTIONS
    $ 1,740.00

TOTAL VEHICLE & OPTIONS
    $ 22,570.00

DESTINATION CHARGE
    $660.00

TOTAL VEHICLE PRICE***
    $23,230.00

ps. They charged me $199 dealer prep

I negotiated pin striping ($169.00) and a 3rd Spare Key for FREE

The final OUT the door price $19800 - $2000 (GM rebate) for
    total of $17800.00

How did I do ?
  • charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    I think you did well if thats what you paid for the 2006. I don't know how you arrived at the Manfacturers retail price of $20,830 for the LT. The 2006 base LS lists at $20,990. Chevy is currently offering $2,000 cash back on all 2006 Impalas ending today, so you probably got the options instead of the cash back. The 2007 Impala LT lists at $22,065.00. Remember the 2007s will be on dealer lots in less then 2 weeks.
  • zizithzizith Member Posts: 11
    I got one like yours minus the sunroof, aluminum wheels, garage door opener and leather steering wheel, but with
    Options installed by Manufacturer
    AM/FM STEREO W/ RDS, CD & MP3
    PLAYER & AUXILIARY INPUT JACK
    (REPLACES STD/OPT/PKG RADIO)
    $ 195.00
    REAR FLIP & FOLD FLAT SEAT
    $ 275.00
    TOTAL OPTIONS $ 470.00
    TOTAL VEHICLE & OPTIONS $ 21,300.00
    DESTINATION CHARGE $660.00
    for $18,600 2 months ago, so I would say you did good. The 2007's will cost more. :shades:
    This price didn't include Tax,Tag and Registration,right?
    What's the new rebate? Do you think buy a 2006 when 2007 come out would be much cheap?

thanks
    DEALS DEALS DEALS!. Chevy offered $2,000 cash back after you negotiated your best deal before July 18th on 2006 Impala models.

Current Chevy offer is 0% financing on almost all new remaining 2006 GM cars. Negotiate your best deal and save thousands in interest payments.

GM employees get a special discount after they make their best deal.

In Ontario Canada the steel company that makes the steel for the GM plants in Oshawa, offers the steel workers (CAW comparable to the UAW in the USA) a special discount after their best deal if they buy a GM product.

Recently in Ontario GM VISA indicated families could combine their GM points I believe up to the maximum in the purchase of a new GM product.

Year end purchases are good for the consumer if they plan on keeping the car for a few years. Remember if you trade early your 06 will be a model year old in a few weeks.

There are some minor changes for the 2007 Impala, including some color adds/deletes.

Jumping ahead in 1 year the 2008 Impalas will be out and there should be an anniversary edition for the Impalas 50th anniversary.

If you have more then one Chevy dealership in your area go to both and play one against the other for the best deal.

Deals can be made!
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    >Remember if you trade early your 06 will be a model year old in a few weeks
    But if you don't trade for 5 or 6 years what little difference does it make if a car is 5 or is 6 years old as re tradein value? I feel that the extra year is offset by the lower mileage since it really a long 5 year car as far as usage rather than a 6 year car although model year might be six years.

I'm not disagreeing with anyone or anything said. I just want to point out there isn't totally an extra year's mileage on the car. I've been keeping cars 8 and 10 years. So the cars are 5 years apart and I get a new one every 5.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• balichbalich Member Posts: 62
    Here's how ..

100 universal opener
    740 upgrade to 2LT package
    900 Sunroof
    660 Destination charge

= $23230 MSRP (I got a 3430 discount)

total of $17800.00 (this did not include taxes, reg)
    Thats what I said. Only if you trade early and some people do and get hosed, because the cars depreciate very quickly. I'm not knocking the car just stating a fact. however car value books go by model year, and mileage can be a factor high or low a few hundred $$ up or down. In a couple months Kelley Blue book will list the 2006 Impala and all other 2006 cars as a used cars with values according to condition, mileage etc. Check out the value of 2005 Impalas now. They go for rock bottom prices. Check out autotrader.com hundreds of low and high mileage used 2006 Impalas for sale at very low prices. Great deals for new 2006 Impala buyers with incentives and for used 2006 Impalas as well. WIN WIN for everyones budget.
    Thanks for your information.

So the price of zizith was $3360 discount.

I think you'v got great deal. btw: where did you guys get the deals?
    I just called around. The dealers said this price was crazy.

Do you have employee's discount?
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    $5500 off msrp (17800) I would say is pretty good. Especially if it was with little effort.

The bible(s) estimate the Impala (Msrp 23000) be a 14000-15000 car in a year so-- not too shabby. That color is cool too.

Motoralley.com is a good site with ads from all over the country for many models. That seems to be one of the good deals. Things should improve more in sept-oct. The 2007s appeared in lots around here about a month ago. That they cost more is irrelevant. MSRP isn't very meaningful.

This is a helluva car for a change and beats the Ford 500 hands down. Impala and Malibu are actually way up there with Accord and Civic in the top 10 most popular cars. (Ford Fseries Chevy silverado and Dodge Ram pickups in the top spots as usual) And THOUSANDS LESS for the V6 models. (Not sticker mind you, but possible negiotiated price for both)

Personally, when I get some money in sept. I'm shooting for 6800 off or more on an LT3 package 3.9 V6 (24000 msrp). I'm faxing the sales managers in 20+ dealerships with some flexible requirements toward the last week of the month (this cuts down on the nonsense especially if they know other dealers are involved) and quickly narrowing it down to the top 2-3 heroes.(Cincinnati is loaded with car dealerships, the most per capita in the country for many makes)

I sold cars for years, trained numerous salesmen and have purchased many new cars over the years in a similar manner in general they don't stand a chance as there's no deal I gotta have. All new cars are essentially commodities and one is just like the other. The store most desparate to book a low or no profit sale wins.

Always remember that despite the nominal "invoice" price being public many of the dealer cash incentives are unpublished nowadays and mainly based on sales targets and customer satisfaction surveys. The only one who truly knows the cost is the sales manager/fleet manager himself and that itself may change as the month (or quarter) progresses.

BTW, other than filtering 15-20 dealerships competitively to determine the bottom line a good quicky thing to do is to find out what a 1 year old model goes for and start from there. If an 05 goes for 14500 how much depreciation do you want to eat the first year? Its as simple as that.

Obviously only a masochist would pay 23500 msrp and eat $9000 to drive a chevy (thus our dealer cash and hidden cash and rebates all of which 'sigh' honda -has been able to *mostly* avoid) I guess 2500-4000 may be a good target premium(over wholesale)at the beginning of a model year(07s now), more if the model redesign or its just hot. This shrinks steadily over the months until demand normalizes and next years models appear. Our limit would depend on how smitten we are.

Closest to 1yr wholesale for an 05 you can get is best as sept -december appears for 06s

The price we pay from msrp is under our control, and happily after the first year, depreciation seems to be a constant 1700-2200 bucks for a while, as the market takes over from the Henny Youngmans who print most American car MSRPs, which determine our first year cost. Msrp is also not realistic but less fanciful with many of the Honda, Toyota and maybe Nissan models.

A extreme example is the Dodge Durango. With msrp $33000 this is a 19000 or less vehicle in a year(05), making it financial suicide to purchase even 2000 under invoice. (4000+ in hidden dealer cash available here folks, exclusive of published rebates etc) We would want at least 10000 off, at this time in the model year, perhaps working for more.

Rotsa Ruck and thanks for your MSRP and price paid experiences

--jjf

Here's how ..

100 universal opener
    740 upgrade to 2LT package
    900 Sunroof
    660 Destination charge

= $23230 MSRP (I got a 3430 discount)

total of $17800.00 (this did not include taxes, reg)
    Kelley Blue book indicates that a base 1 year old 2005 Impala (similar to 2006 LS) trade in value for July 2006 is between $10,335-$11,075 with 18,000 miles. The 2005 Impala LS similar to the 2006 Impala LTZ trade in value $12,495 - $13,325 with 18,000 miles. Check it out.

It is extremely hard to sell used Impalas privately. The market is flooded every year and car lots have tons of them for sale. There are many posters on the (2005 Impala and before forum) who posted their stories that had no luck in selling privately and couldn't believe the low residual on these cars after 1,2,3,4,5 years.

Edmunds and Autonews.com indicate that the Impala has one of the lowest residual values in its segment. Good news for the used Impala buyer. Buying a new Impala now at a good price might mean a poor return when traded in down the road. I was a new Impala buyer before but not now. I am going to wait and buy a 1 year old 2006 or 2007 Impala when they become available. Lots to choose from at great prices. If you gotta have new get your best deal.
  • steveinaltasteveinalta Member Posts: 9
    Just bought an 06 SS for $32,000 with everything,including 7/160 warranty and tax how did I do? and BTW that was Canadian dollars
  • fantascpfantascp Member Posts: 175
    Hi:

Does anyone know much the 2006 Impala LTZ will depreciate now that the 07's are out?
    I have an 03 Grand Prix GT thats coming off lease in Oct- and we test drove the 06 Grand Prix, Buick Lucerne and Buick Lacrosse, and the 06 Impala 2 weeks ago- the Impala
    was the one my wife really liked over-all.

Waiting for a few dealer quotes on the 06- my question is -is there that much difference between the 06 versus 07 to not go with the 06 for less money?
    We will be leasing and more than likely, not purchasing the vehicle at the end of the lease.

Thanks for any feedback
    How much was the msrp of the 06 SS and the manufacture date? (msrp changed Jan 06 unless you had the adjustment sticker in the window)

You may know the exchange rate american better than I but is it about 15%? 32000 cdn =29000 American?

How much did they want for the 7/160 warranty? (no deductable?)

--jjf

Just bought an 06 SS for $32,000 with everything,including 7/160 warranty and tax how did I do? and BTW that was Canadian dollars
    The car was manufactured Feb 06 in Oshawa Ontario ( where they are all manufactured along with the Monte Carlo) The sticker was almost $41,000 CDN the extended warranty was $1000 with no deductable and you are about right on the exchange rate, usually around 15%
  • luvmbootyluvmbooty Member Posts: 271
    Impala LS w/ABS and Traction invoice: $20,370
    Impala LT w/ABS and Traction, Flip and Fold Rear Seat invoice: $21,070
    Impala LT 3.9L w/no options invoice: $23,085
    Malibu Maxx LT w/Head Curtain Side Airbags, Rear Wiper and Spoiler invoice: $20,503
    Sonata GLS V6 w/no options invoice: $19,831
    Current incentives 2006 Malibu Maxx: $1,500 2006 Impala: $2,000 Sonata V6: $2,500

Impala EPA interior volume:105 cu ft, luggage vol:19 cu ft
    Malibu Maxx EPA interior volume:106 cu ft, luggage:24 cu ft
    Sonata EPA interior volume:105 cu ft, luggage:16 cu ft

Impala 3.5L city/highway:21/31
    Impala 3.9 city/highway:19/27
    Malibu Maxx 3.5 city/highway:22/30
    Sonata 3.3L city/highway:20/30

Impala 3.5L:211 hp@5800 rpm/214 lbs-ft of torque@4000
    Impala 3.9L:242 hp@6000 rpm/242 lbs-ft of torque@4800
    Malibu Maxx 3.5L:201 hp@5600 rpm/221 lbs-ft of torque@3200
    Sonata 3.3L:235 hp@6000rpm/226 lbs-ft of torque@3500

Basic Warranty for Hyundai:5 years/60,000, Drivetrain: 10 years/100,000, Roadside: 5 years/Unlimited, Rust: 7 years/Unlimited

Basic Warranty for Chevrolet:3 years/36,000, Drivetrain: 3 years/36,000, Roadside: 3 years/36,000, Rust: 6 years/1000,000

Sonata comes standard with ABS, 6 airbags, traction, and stability.
    Impala 3.5L comes optional with airbags, ABS and traction
    Impala 3.9L comes standard with airbags, ABS and traction
    Malibu Maxx comes standard with ABS and traction, optional with airbags

IIHS.org crash test ratings: frontal/side/rear
    Impala: Acceptable, Good, Marginal
    Malibu: Good, Good, Acceptable
    Sonata: Good, Acceptable, Good
    does the sonata also come with side curtain airbags? Not sure if it is standard on the Impala or not , but I know my 06 SS has them
  • luvmbootyluvmbooty Member Posts: 271
    Yes, it comes standard. They also come standard on all trims of Impala. On the 3.5L Impala's ABS and traction are optional. The 3.9L and 5.3L comes standard.

I think that the flip and fold flat rear seat is a hot option. I wish it came with a fold flat passenger seat like the Malibu Maxx and Ford Five Hundred.

I hate the wood grain instrument panel and doors comes standard on all Impala's except the SS. I would want the 3.5L to take advantage of the E85 fuel. Speed isn't on my priority list. Do you know how hard it would be to find a exterior and interior color and desired options without the wood grain!

My desired Impala would be the 3.5L LT trim with the dark grey exterior and gray cloth interior. Options 2LT equipment group, ABS and traction, flip and fold flat rear seat. Would want a sunroof but I'm trying to keep price under $20,000, another thing I like about the Impala, possible to get one under $20,000.
  • shainzeshainze Member Posts: 2
    That is exactly the car that I am looking for (MSRP $23,105). I contacted over 20 dealerships in my area and of those that responded to my emails only one was willing to give a decent price ($500 under invoice before incentives) but it had to be one they had on the lot (they didn't have what I wanted). I don't know if under $20,000 before rebates is realistic or just not realistic for my area (norther Alabama).

No one came even remotely close to the $3430 discount described earlier. Most wanted around $500 over invoice. I wish I could find something anywhere close to that kind of deal. I think I will have to wait until most dealerships have 2007s on the lot before they are going to give a good deal. If I could get the price below $21,000, I think I would go for it (before adding $2000 GM card earnings and 0% for 60 months).
    Try looking for the car in Canada, they are made there and with the exchange rate, under $20,000 might be reasonable. Also , there are no modifications required to use this car in the US
    how did you get 32000CDN=29000USD with 15%?

Should that be 32000CDN/1.15=27826USD?
    So you got 9000CDN off MSRP, which is about 7826 USD. It's amazing.

The car dealers here are so mean to me. I can only get the price for invoice-rebate. It's just way off the deal here.
    Same things here(North Florida). The price is just way off that $3430 discount. Who knows where's those deals at?
    Well it helps when you have a family member as a design engineer at GM , thus you get their pricing . My SS had a sticker of almost $41,000 CDN , my cost was $32,100 and that included the 7/160 warranty. The other think that can be tried are some of the auto brokers up here, especially this time of yr.At the dealer I bought my car through , they did have LT's at $24,500 CDN on the sticker. Also , as I have found out , the LT, LS , and LTZ have different options and standard features between the models that are sold in the US versus Canada , which I found surprising.
  • amandableamandable Member Posts: 2
    What trim and options were you looking for?
    employee discount! That's the deal.

the $3430 off MSRP must be an employee discount. correct me if I was wrong.
    it was employee pricing
  • dfldfl Member Posts: 2
    Last week I purchased a 06 Impala 1LT, with the flip n fold seats and aluminum wheels being the only two extras. Sticker price was just over $23k. Doing all the initial negotiating over the phone, the first price the salesman came back with was.......$15,350! No joke. I said sold right there on the phone. Two days later I had the car, no real strings attached. Plus I had $3500 on my GM card to apply towards the price as well. I did not ask exactly where their price came from, because at that price I did not care. There was no employee pricing or supplier pricing involved, otherwise I would not have been able to use my GM card. The only thing I had to do was finance through GMAC, but that can be cancelled after 1 month, penalty free. Needless to say I was ecstatic with my out the door price. The dealership involved was Uftring Chevy in Washington, IL.
    This is unbelievable. Brand new 06 1LT?

I want to drive there,800mi though.
  • dfldfl Member Posts: 2
    Yes 06, 1LT. They had to dealer trade for it, and it came from a St Louis area dealership. So when I drove it home, it already had 180 miles on it. But of course the 180 was added onto my mfg warranty. In the few days I spent shopping for 06 1LT's I realized there are almost none left. Even though the Chevy year end event goes thru Sep, the 06s are about gone...
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    Hi, pgh111..

I moved your post here:

Chevrolet Impala: Lease Questions

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• jeteastjeteast Member Posts: 11
    2006 LTZ MSRP 27,685.00 , Dealer is telling me his invoice is $26,600 (which is bull) but will sell the car to me for $24,100.00 after rebates. I told him his True Invoice is way
    below the price he quoted. Ok Gang help me out here, with year end Factory to Dealer Incentives, isn't there room for 1,200 - 1,500 more to negotiate with, bringing this car closer to 22,500.00 (or about 5,000 off original stick after rebates)
    Is my expectations too high, or should I go for even more of a discount ? Please anyone with any knowledge in this department, please feel free to answer. I will keep you posted on my progress.

To Sum things up, Dealer will sell me car for Invoice less the 2,500.00 total cash rebates for around 24,100 Delivered
    Price plus T,T&L (On a MSRP 27,685)

Thanks in Advance
    Here in Oklahoma the Current Factory to Customer rebate is 2,000 + 500.00 Bonus Cash. Does anyone know what the Factory is offering the Dealer this time of year on the Impala's?
    I guess that is Carry-over or extra cash to dealer. The one Dealer I talked to, said they are receiving no Factory
    Incentives. (Model year is over and 2007's are rolling in,
    Surely GM is giving Dealers cash on 2006's, Yes?)
    Look at my message #76. #77 is less optimistic than me on resale of a Chev impala after a year. A 28000 impala is probably a 18000 (optimistic?) wholesale car in a year, so 22500 is ok but marginal. Needless to say 24000 is mediocre. I'd want $6500 off this car. I've seen some good deals made at the end of month, depending on dealer situation. Otherwise try to get a better deal on an 07-- lots more selection.

Chevy's managed to move a ton of these 06 vehicles, especially with the 0%, so a single dealers inclination to deal on 1 or 2 leftover 06's may be limited, especially the higher end ones.

In other words, your expectations may not be too high, but the dealers willingness to deal may not be there. If dealer's had success getting other yokels to cough up 24000 on "leftover fever" you may be outta luck. (The one you're interested in may be the only one acceptable within 100 miles no?-- he may wanna sit on it)

Look up my message 12481 in the Honda Accord prices paid discussion. Read /Purchase the information suggested and learn the things needed on how to buy a car.

If you really need this car (you're horseless) start with "I will buy this car today for 19,000(or less) and work up (you can always move up but not down) Feel the situation out. I'm not really excited on this method but if you need ride quick you need a ride quick. They've sold for up to 7-8000 off.

Happy hunting
    --jjf

2006 LTZ MSRP 27,685.00 , Dealer is telling me his invoice is $26,600 (which is bull) but will sell the car to me for $24,100.00 after rebates. I told him his True Invoice is way
    below the price he quoted. Ok Gang help me out here, with year end Factory to Dealer Incentives, isn't there room for 1,200 - 1,500 more to negotiate with, bringing this car closer to 22,500.00 (or about 5,000 off original stick after rebates)
    Is my expectations too high, or should I go for even more of a discount ? Please anyone with any knowledge in this department, please feel free to answer. I will keep you posted on my progress
    Thanks, Read your posts and will give your suggestions a try.
    Though I would be surprised if they would come even close to
    the prices or discounts you mentioned. But hey, I'll try anything once, and just hope I don't tick-off any Sales person(s) in the process. One thing they are stuck on in this city is that 499.00 Advertisment .... That I had him dropped quickly, then told him when he can shave another 2,500 off , I might consider giving him my business. So this weekend I'll set out and give it a whirl. And will even include trying for the 2007 model as well (another suggestion of yours).
    Thanks again ...JR
    You're already off to a bad start. Do study the resources in the Accord section. Chances are the salesperson won't be there 6 months from now.

--jjf

and just hope I don't tick-off any Sales person(s) in the process. One thing they are stuck on in this city is that 499.00 Advertisment
    Has anyone out there been able to purchase a 2007 LTZ with
    an MSRP of around 28k for a price below 23,000 k yet? I know
    it may to early in the model year to get 5k below MSRP
    but hey ... some hungry dealers may have already done it. I set out to purchase a car a few days days ago, got a bit side
    tracked. but ended up negotiating my 13,300 wood flooring down to 12,021 installed. Hahhahah , So I guess I'll now wait til end of the month and start pricing for a new vehicle.
  • brian87brian87 Member Posts: 3
    There is a dealer in my area that has a used 2006 Impala LT 3.9 with 9,654 miles on it (w/ transferable bumper to bumper warenty) with a listed price of $17,456 (Pre-Dicker price). I haven't looked at it yet and will probably go look at it this weekend, I was just wondering what do you think would be a good price for a used Impala like this. Looking on the internet it seems to be a reasonable price point from what I have been gathering over the last while researching.