Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volvo XC90 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    drjosedrjose Member Posts: 12
    Here in California there were dealers offering 8,000 to 8,500 off any UT AWD off MSRP. If MSRP is 40,440, then by buying one here in California, the same vehicle would have gone from 31,940 to 32,440. Next time try looking at the websites of dealers in your area and see how much inventory they have. Volvo has till 5/31 a 3,500.00 Volvo to dealer incentive.
    Dr Jose
  • Options
    louveelouvee Member Posts: 23
    Well, it's been a week now and I have to say - we love the Xc90. We're very happy with the choice. We've put a couple hundred miles on it and it rides great.

We're bringing it back to have the iPod and BlueTooth adapters installed. While we should have negotiated these before buying, I think we got a good deal. $250 for the iPod adapter installed (they were asking $499) and $520 for the BlueTooth (they were asking $699).

Another question - we have Rear Park assist. My Wife loves this feature. However, I see that there is also a Front Park assist section in the owners manual.

Is this an option that can also be added or would this have had to been installed in the factory?
  • Options
    glmcfarlandglmcfarland Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for the same lease on the same vehicle. Getting quotes of $600 in LA, you got a great deal. Please forward the name of the Dealership and city. We would greatly appreciate this info. We are willing to drive to make this kind of deal.
  • Options
    volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    FAIK, front park assist is strictly a dealer installed item.
    We have done one on an XC90, its not worth it IMO.
  • Options
    jazzman111jazzman111 Member Posts: 1
    I just got back from a visit to the CarMax facility just opened (4/06) in Hartford. I was informed they have a firm "no haggle" policy and was given a price on a 2005 XC90 8cyl 4WD Sport Utility with *less than 8,000 miles* of $40,998. They also claim their posted prices are lower than those posted by Kelley Blue Book. But, when I checked on Kelley Blue Book I found that, for some reason, they don't provide figures on an 8 cylinder model in that year, so I don't have an apples-to-apples pricing from them. They also did an AutoCheck Vehicle report for me which indicated it had a clean bill of health and was sold at auction by an in-state dealer. Does this sound like a good deal? Is there any way I can negotiate further with them?
  • Options
    drjosedrjose Member Posts: 12
    Try nada.com to compare prices, although I found that they tend to price everything over KBB. Another place to try is autotrader.com to compare prices. Good luck. Dr. Jose
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    ..you could even price it out here on Edmunds..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    yankees338yankees338 Member Posts: 28
    I'm highly considering the XC90 and with the added features for next year, I'm likely going to wait it out for the '07. What type of discounts should I expect on '07s when they are initially released this summer?
  • Options
    probably not much.
    Esp if there are still 06's sitting on dealers lots.
    If you are leasing, the residuals will be higher.
    But don't expect to see alot of dealer money.
    Also, don't expect alot of inventory. Plus, some of the new options, like Sirius and BLIS won't be available initially.
    If you want ALL the new stuff and a good deal, best to wait for Dec.
  • Options
    Thanks volvomax. With that said, are the refreshments in store for next MY worth the wait and the extra cash or am I better off going with an '06 for thousands less?
  • Options
    Well, if the ipod connector and Sirius and the new headlights are important than wait.
    Otherwise, I would go for an 06 and save some $$.
  • Options
    Thanks!

I know cross posting is frowned upon, and this may not be the correct forum for this next post, but I thought I'd try to continue this thread.

We had the iPod and BlueTooth adapters installed over the weekend. The iPod works well. The BlueTooth also worked will initially. I have an issue with it now.

My Wife and I both have Verizon Motorola E815 phones. She was already using a BlueTooth headset with her phone, while I had not used BlueTooth with mine.

I paired my phone as phone#1 and hers as phone#2. When I paired mine, I did not power up the bluetooth for my phone until I started the process, so I had to choose the 'temporarily power up bluetooth' option. Everything seemed to work fine the first day.

I did not try to use mine for the rest of the day and the next day. Since then, I've noticed that when we start the car, the bluetooth states that 'phone two is connected and ready'. I didn't pay it much mind until I tried to use phone 1. My phone was powered up for bluetooth. I tried to get it to work, but I could not get it to connect.

I tried to start from scratch. However, I think I may have deleted the device from my phone before saying 'remove phone 1' from the bluetooth.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I cannot pair my phone again. I say 'pair phone', and the process starts. My phone finds the 'Volvo for life' device, but I am no longer prompted for the password, and it fails. The bluetooth says 'pairing failed. consult the owners guide'. Of course, there is nothing in the owners guide about this. I also can't find any help with Verizon or Motorola. It sounds to me like I either need to somehow reset the bluetooth (I tried to hold down the two buttons for two seconds as stated in the book) or reset my phone somehow.

Anyone have any ideas?
  • Options
    I'd try removing both phones from the system and re-installing.
    This time, make sure your phone is in bluetooth mode.
  • Options
    xc90n00bxc90n00b Member Posts: 3
    hi -
    i been lurking this forum for the past few weeks on prices. the ballpark figures i read is $8000.00 below msrp. so to return a favorite for all the great info... my wife and i purchased our new xc90 today @ 41992.00 + tax (in the bay area, calif).
    it is a willow green 2.5 awd with all available packages plus wood steering, 18" alloy wheel, xenon headlights and navigation. the only thing that does not come with are the rear entertainment unit. this is approximately 8500.00 below msrp at 50,492. our first color choice was the ruby red but i guess its very difficult to come by...

hope this info is helpful to you guys. we are picking up the car on wednesday. please let me know what you think of this deal, rather its good or bad. :D
  • Options
    steve777steve777 Member Posts: 41
    I didnt know the 2.5T went that high. Are you sure it wsnt the 8 cylinder?
  • Options
    with all the accessories added. i was a little skeptical myself at first but then we did it at the volvo website.

looking back, i should have hold out since there are more stuff than we really need. E.g. Wood Steering wheel and 18" rims
  • Options
    I went to test drive this with my mom and she test drove one with the wood steering wheel and with the leather steering wheel. She said she felt a significant difference between the two and preferred the wood by a long shot. She felt more under control with it, not to mention the added cosmetic appeal. I think you'll appreciate it down the road, probably worth the money up front.
  • Options
    raymondyraymondy Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone share which dealers in the Bay Area would offer 8K+ off MSRP for XC90? I have been shopping around and best quote I got so far is 6.5K off MSRP. Thanks
  • Options
    Right now, that is as good as it gets.

The $8k last month included lease cash that isn't available this month.
  • Options
    steve777steve777 Member Posts: 41
    Best I've gotten on the 2.5is 3k below invoice (forget msrp. Think I'll go with the Acura MDX, a lot better deal for the money.
  • Options
    hey.. raymondy, my previous post was removed because its against the forum policy to provide names and dealership.

without saying the actual name, i guess i can say i got it in the vicinity of palo alto. they are very quick with yay or nay.

my wife and i also bought the extended warranty and service package. something to think about before walking in. the service package covers all services up to 60k for approx. 2300 and another 2000 for the extended warranty. you can nego. the price slightly based on your deductible.

best of luck.
  • Options
    Really... all of the relevant information is printed in red.... on every page..

Thanks!
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Sorry for the delay in responding.

I did all that and it still did not work.

Then, I powered off my phone and powered it back on. Now, I am able to pair it again. Jeez, you'd think I'd have thought of that before.

Anyway, thanks again for the help.
  • Options
    island2island2 Member Posts: 2
    Excitement is high so I decided to share. On 7/3 I paid $3K below invoice and $6,500 below MSRP. I used Prestige Volvo in NJ and did all of the negotiating over the internet. The car should be ready for pickup no later than a week from now. Thanks to all who post here for providing me with lots of usable information.
  • Options
    oman9oman9 Member Posts: 97
    Congrats, sounds like a great setup you'll be getting. I'm assuming this is an '06 but I'm just asking to check...heard 07s would be coming out in July so I guess that's possible. I'm also guessing 06 b/c why would they discount like that on an 07 (although car sales have been slumping the last few months per a business report I just heard on TV) and I guess discounting will be around for a bit longer.

Let us know and also let us know how you like it once you drive it!
  • Options
    09dobbs09dobbs Member Posts: 5
  • Options
    Congrat on the new vehicle. Sounds like you got a great deal. I too live in NJ and went to another dealership which I was very disappointed in. Can you give me the particulars on your lease deal. I was planning on heading to Prestige this weekend. Thanks SO much!
  • Options
    Hi there,
    I have to Ford x-plan avail to me through work..Do you think using the x-plan is better than negotiating a deal..which way do you save more????
  • Options
    shoresailingshoresailing Member Posts: 29
    I had the X-plan when I purchased my XC90 4/15/06. I got a much better deal thru negotiations ($14,100 off MSRP) than what the X-plan offered (a few bucks over invoice). See my post around April 17th. I was still able to apply the X-plan for removing the documentation fees as it was advantageous for the dealership also. They would receive more money from Volvo/Ford than the doc fees they eliminated. I suggest you show the dealer your X-plan number when you arrive and then start negotiations once you have settled on the car you want to buy. Don't forget to mention how informed you are by having used Edmunds.com.
  • Options
    lev_berkovichlev_berkovich Member Posts: 858
    Wow,
    The dealer must be really desperate to give-up $8,000 to 10,0000. I really doubt that there are Volvo to dealer incentives enough to cover that.

VolvoMax - any thoughts?
  • Options
    peconpecon Member Posts: 6
    I am looking to buy a Volvo XC90 2.5T 5 seat with premium package. Here in Canada the MSRP is $54 300 (approx). The invoice price is about $50 200. I emailed the only dealership around and they have many available. We are also not in a rush to buy, we are hoping by the end of August. We are also not ruling out going to a different province (Ontario) to buy as I have family out there and visit often. We would fly one way out there and drive back. We are going to the dealership tomorrow to test drive but not buy yet.

My question is...what is a good price to start negotiating? Below invoice? I am assuming that they have not been selling well due to high gas prices etc. They also have 0.8% financing for 36 months.
    I don't want to pay too much or be taken advantage of because I am female and look a lot younger than I am. My husband will be with me but I feel that they will probably try to squeeze as much out of us because we look younger even though we are 30. I am doing my best to educate myself about the car and the whole car buying process.

I have been reading everyone's posts for months now and appreciate the advice that has been given to others.
    Does anyone have any tips/advice? Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    XC90 incentives are nowhere near that high.
  • Options
    That's what I think. But then what IS behind of such "deals"? I hope I will be forgiven, but I have a hard time to accept something that makes little sense.
  • Options
    most of these deals are hyperbole.
    Volvo did have some very good lease incentives for the XC90 a couple of months ago, but no longer.
    No way could a brand new XC90 be bought for $14,000 off sticker, must have been a used car if that.
  • Options
    Volvomax????? Lev_berkovich????
    I am asking my question to you both because I've read a lot of posts and you both seem to be the most knowledgeable. Volvomax, you work in a dealership right?

Anyway, if you could help me out that would be greatly appreciated. Keep in mind that these prices are in Canadian dollars and I don't expect you to know the exact figures but I'll do my best to give you all the information I have.

I am looking at an XC90 2.5t AWD 5 seat with:
    luxury and convenience package, sunroof, metallic paint and a couple other small things.
    MSRP is $64,310 (about $3000 is rebates so really $60,960). I had the dealer (actually, sales manager) offer $55,953 plus tax without even dealing with him...he just gave us that number and said he was making $1500.
    So, I go home and figure out the invoice pricing (from apa.ca) and it is $56,835. His offer is $882 less than invoice. There aren't any other incentives.
    Did he make a mistake? I've gone over the numbers many times and I have his quote in front of me. Also, is the convenience package worth it?

All in all, my Volvo experience was great....totally different from other dealerships. It was very pleasant and pressure free. I would love to buy from them.

Sorry if this got a little long. If you can give me your opinion from the numbers I've given you I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
  • Options
    shoresailingshoresailing Member Posts: 29
    Not sure what was behind the incentive but the salesman and sales manager explained they had three 2005 models left to get rid of on the day of my purchase (4/15). They had five earlier in the week. All three were sold that day.

The dealer was Cherry Hill Volvo in Cherry Hill, NJ The XC90 I bought had just under 800 miles on it and was never titled. It was not driven as a salesman's demo because it did not have NJ inspection stickers until I purchased the vehicle. The other two 2005 XC90s had less than 200 miles on them but they did not have the same options and I preferred the black over silver.

I knew I struck gold when the first words out the salesman's mouth was, I have three 2005 models left on the lot if you are willing to go with the V8 (I originally asked to test drive the I5). The good news is, they are $12,00 off MSRP." I would up with an even better deal.

Volvomax, your advice is well documented in this discussion board and you clearly have inside knowledge. I suspect many readers (if not all) trust your advice. I welcome the opportunity to work with you to uncover how I received such a great deal so I may be able to do it again in the near future (rather than blind luck). We could share any knowledge vetted. Please contact me through email connection. I'll make sure my profile is updated.

As for the XC90 - approaching 3 months and the vehicle and dealership have been a dream. It really is a terrific car/SUV.
  • Options
    Just my 2 cents.

- I consider $882 bellow invoice as a good deal. There are some manufacturer to dealer incentives and pay-backs, that make it possible, so the dealer still can make $1500. Volvomax can tell you more on that.
    - Convenience package, as it is described on Canadian Volvo web-site, sounds reasonable. I have purchased at least three items from the list as separate options (rear parking assist, auto dimmed mirror and Homelink) when I could do it, and I would get Convenience package just for the rear park assist, if I could not get it any other way.
  • Options
    Well, I don't know about the incentive programs for Canada.

If the dealer made a mistake, he will change the figures.
    If not, than enjoy the car.

It could be that your invoice data is wrong, it could be an old price car(if they had a price increase) it could be that there is a dealer incentive you aren't aware of.
  • Options
    The magic words were leftover 2005.

What a dealer the size of Cherry Hill Volvo was doing w/ leftover 05 Xc90's in April of 06, I don't know.

Cherry Hill sold them at a loss. Plain and simple.

Needless to say, that kind of deal is not indicative of what a customer can recieve on an 06 XC90.
  • Options
    guyfguyf Member Posts: 456
    Sounds like a good deal to me.
  • Options
    Volvomax ** lev_berkovich ** guyf

I just noticed that there is a $2800 cash incentive so that makes sense now. The dealer would be making just over $1900 if my calculations are correct. Do you think it would be possible to get him to go even lower than that? I want to be fair but I also want to make sure I get a decent deal.

Another question.... Which would you rather??
    1. luxury and convenience package
    2. premium and convenience package with dual screen rear seat entertainment for about $800 more (we don't have any children yet so we wouldn't be using that feature...I'm asking for future resale)
    I think we prefer #1 just because of the upgrades in the luxury package (bigger wheels, headlights etc...) but just asking for more opinions.

Thanks again for all your help!
  • Options
    I try not to get into what someone should pay or what is "fair" because we all have our own ideas.

As for buying options for resale, most of them don't enhance the value of a used car. Nav sys, dvd's are nice but don't really add value on the resale end.
    If the DVD is $800, it will add $100 or $200 to resale.
  • Options
    champ70champ70 Member Posts: 3
    Sir:

I am looking at leasing a 2006 Volvo XC90 Ocean Blue

This is the deal:

$1494 due at lease inception plus taxes title and registration fees. Subject to credit approval.
    The Total Package! Luxury Safety Comfort Versatility -- this one has it all! And how about 21 MPG est highway with a V8... AND A 24 month lease for only $449 per month! ITS NOT A MISPRINT! Lease for $449 per month. 24 months/21000 miles Only $1494 down plus taxes and tags. $1494 includes the first pmt of $449 $0 cap red sec dep of $450 acquisition fee $595. $.25 per mile for miles over 21000 miles. Higher mileage leases are available. Other equipment levels may effect final lease price. this is the best lease of the year! LAST ONE LEFT!

MSRP: $ 54,520

PRICE: $48,995
    COLOR: Ocean Blue

TRANSMISSION: Automatic
    ENGINE: 4.4L V8
    VIN NUMBER: -004820

Includes heated from seats

Dual TV

Do you think this is a good deal

Thank You for your help and guidance.

Chris Lambert
  • Options
    Well, the VIN is impossible.
    But, Volvo does have a killer 24 mo lease for the XC90's.
    Residual for the V8 is 74% !
  • Options
    guyfguyf Member Posts: 456
    Take it!!!
  • Options
    It looks like a great deal.... a couple of things..

1) You'll have taxes and registration fees to pay.. the payment will end up being higher, and your upfronts will also be more..

2) Is 10,500 miles/yr. enough for your driving habits?

As long as it meets your needs, it is dirt cheap..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    The total downpayment including 9.5% sales tax is $2700. The monthly payment (23 of them) remain $449. My wife doesnt drive very much so the mileage should be okay! Although the residual is close to 40K the salesman said he was using a o% interest rate... Im sureI wont buy it after 24 months anyway... Is it me... Or does itr seem too good to be true???

Chris
  • Options
    "Or does itr seem too good to be true??? "

Hey.. sometimes the lease deals are just too good to pass up.. When it come to incentives, the manufacturer can give up the money now (See $10K incentives on S60R), or give it up later...

In this case, they are giving some now (really, really low money factors), and a lot later (inflated residuals)..

$500/mo. including tax for a vehicle that MSRPs for over $50K? And, for only 2 years? It won't get any better...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Thanks kyfdx!!!!

This is a done deal for me!!!
  • Options
    twinmom3twinmom3 Member Posts: 3
    We have talked to a few dealers over the phone. We are looking to purchase a 2006 XC90 2.5 T w/ AWD, Metallic Paint, Premium Package, Versatility Package, Climate Package.

The best deal we've gotten over the phone was $38,635. Is that a good price. Could I expect to negiotiate lower.

We are hopingto buy this weekend.

Any advice would be appreciated.