Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo XC90 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• kcrovekcrove Member Posts: 1
    Sounds reasonable. Here in NJ we obtained a similar xc90, though it also has BLIS and no DVD player. for 590/mo 24 mo, 12k mi. Up front consisted of approx $1,600. NJ has a high registration fee and gas guzzler fee so that made up quite a bit of the up front costs. Then again, we did not post a security deposit.
  • volvohelpvolvohelp Member Posts: 2
    Thank you. Appreciate the response.
  • pinkydogpinkydog Member Posts: 14
    2008 Volvo XC90 3.2 FWD
    Premium and Versatility Packages
    Elegance Styling Package (Bumper Bars, Running Boards, Running Board Steps, Cross Bars for Roof Rails, Front and Back Mudflaps)
    $36,500 - Ordered overseas from U.S. Military Sales during their '07 Summer Promotion ($999 for Premium Package plus $1,000 discount).

Can't afford too many "blings" because of my small budget. Just want all the safety features of a Volvo. Good luck to all...
  • towncar1towncar1 Member Posts: 7
    Northpoint Volvo, Alpharetta Ga
  • jules81480jules81480 Member Posts: 23
    Seriously considering purchasing a volvo xc90. It feels a bit heavy, but I love the luxury feel of the car as well as the safety features...
    I've never driven a volvo before.

I have found a 2008 XC90 with the following options:

MSRP $42,770
    Invoice $39,819

Given a quote of $36,174
    Includes: 3.2 4 dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)
    Premium Package
    Dual Screen Rear Seat Entertainment System
    Blind Spot Information System
    Wood Steering Wheel
    Black Exterior
    Tan leather interior
    Sirius Satellite Radio
    Rubber Mats
    Also comes with moonroof

I've never bought a car on my own before. Does $36,174 sound like a good deal?

Also -- how much money should I put down?
    towncar1, over $6.5K below MSRP is an outstanding deal! I'm not a financial expert, so I don't know how much money should you put down :confuse:
    Sorry, towncar1. The reply was for jules81480. :blush:
  • fantomfantom Member Posts: 211
    If you are really getting the SUV for $3,645 BELOW invoice, put down whatever they want. Somehow I suspect there may be some slight of hand lease math going on, or you're being low balled.

We need more details.
  • jwillmannjwillmann Member Posts: 5
    We have a $38,500 quote from a dealer for a 2008 3.2 A XC90 with Convenience, Premium, and Versatility Packages along with wood steering wheel.

The vehicle is a "model" driven by one of the sales agents. The vehicle has 1,500 miles. Anyone know if this is a good deal? MSRP is $44K, Invoice is $41K.

Vehicle is located in Austin, Texas
    i will be in austin this weekend. last time i checked there is only one volvo dealership in austin.
    would you mind sending me some more information about this deal? sounds too good to be true!
    thanks..

-julie
    I had a typo in my original message. The quote is $38,500 not $28,500. Is this a good deal?
    you were about to give me a heart attack...i've been looking for the best possible deal on this car...
    i got quoted $36,200 (that's without the TTL)..which is probably another 2500....so, it sounds like the same quote....
    i didn't see your original post...are you looking for the 5 or 7 passenger?

-julie
    Sorry. I reposted right away, but you were too quick. It is the 7 passenger version. $38,500 is before TT&L. What options did you have on the vehicle you were quoted $36,200? 5 or 7 passenger?
    i was quoted for the 5 passenger -- yeah -- i know that there is about a $2K difference between the 5 & 7 passenger. i don't have any kids, so i don't have any need for a third row. i would rather have the extra trunk space.

i'm assuming you've contacted roger beasely in austin?
    Just read your original post. I think you are getting a very good price. With the $3,000 dealer incentive, you are only a few hundred dollars over their net cost. What City are you buying in?
    more than likely austin. it just depends on where i can get the best deal. i think i'm gonna go ahead and get it this weekend.
    i am a little nervous though -- this will be my first car to buy on my own...eek!
    and you? what city are you looking at?
    i'm in austin, but we have family in houston so we may look there, too. looks like you are getting a good deal. don't sweat it. life is too short. enjoy your new car.
    haha..thanks....good luck to you!
  • towncar1towncar1 Member Posts: 7
    Mine was $2k Cheaper with 2005 S60 trade, and two sets of tires during vehicle ownership.. Also your offer is for a demo so your warranty has really started and dealer invoice is reduced daily on a demo. Another dealer offered a better deal by $800 after I closed the deal. They can offer you a better. Will They is ?.
  • slackjawslackjaw Member Posts: 32
    Costco members should make sure they read that link above. It's invoice minus 1K minus the current 2K lease cash. So 3k under invoice for being a Costco member seems like a pretty good thing. Add the $500 Costco gift card and you've got one heckuva deal.

Deal on table:
    XC90 3.2 AWD
    Metallic
    Climate
    Premium

MSRP 42950
    INVOICE 39973
    SELL 36973 (invoice-1K-2K)
    895 aquisition
    10.5K miles
    65% residual
    24 months

Thoughts? I know what mine are...just waiting for spousal approval. :)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    What is the lease term and payment?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Edited message above to add term.

Payment (of course) depends on any down payment. For example, if I run the numbers in my state (6%) with $1200 down plus tags and title results in a $399 and change payment.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    $450/mo. for 24 months seems like a pretty good deal...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• skinnytonyskinnytony Member Posts: 121
    Thanks, zamo. I've been shopping the Acura MDX and I have never before considered buying a Volvo but with these discounts ($3,000 factory to dealer + $1,000 Costco + $500 Costco cash card) I may have to consider. I see the Costco deal is based on "employee pricing". Any idea how this compares to msrp or invoice?
    jwillmann, that price doesn't sound good to me. If the invoice is $41K and there is a $3K incentive your starting point should be $38K, and since it's a demo I wouldn't pay that much. Great price if "new" and low mileage.
    From what I am working with the Volvo dealer here, employee pricing is invoice. I found a post somewhere else that indicated that employee pricing was invoice + $400 but I'm not saying anything. Invoice on a Volvo is a good place to start. Then the 1K Costco discount plus the 2K lease cash and that's a real nice place to be without having to negotiate much.

Edited to add my wondering how sweet it would be if employee pricing was actually below invoice like GM, Ford, and Chrysler. Hmmm..... Anyone?

I was able to find the current x-price sheet for the XC90. MSRP is 36,210 as we know, the x-pricing is $34,754. From other googled info it looks like x-pricing is 4% over employee pricing. That would make the employee price $33,418 if any of this is correct. If invoice is $34,073 then employee pricing is indeed lower than invoice by a bit.

Yes, I know...I tend to be overanalytical.
    Can someone confirm or clarify the $895 aquisition fee for the current 24 month leasing? I can't seem to find confirmation of what my dealer is telling me.
  • craigsuvbuyercraigsuvbuyer Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone actually made this happen? Can you really by going through costco get the xc90 for $4000 ($3000 incentive + $1000 costco) under invoice? Would dealer promotions like free rear entertainment dvd still apply? Thanks.
  • volvo_rvolvo_r Member Posts: 20
    Buying 3.2 AWD,Climate,Premium for the Mrs XMAS gift. Costco deal works out with current incentive is $3K from Volvo + $1K Costco + Employee Pricing + Free Volvo dual headrest DVD. This about as good a deal as it gets and $500 back from Costco. Volvo SUV at Honda Pilot prices. I will have to verify additional rebate that may count toward annual check you get back on the Executive Membership. I am talking to Costco Rep in the morning and dealership in the afternoon
    I would do that for new but not a demo
    This just seems to be getting better and better. Could be a new XC90 in the driveway today!

I am getting some unclear information from my dealer who ether doesn't really know what's going on or is playing dumb.

Here's the contradictions:

They tell me employee pricing is invoice. I have found evidence that employee pricing on the one I am looking at is $1499 less than invoice.

The post above says 3K from Volvo and I am told it is 2K.

Dealer (and a post somewhere above) says that the DVD system cannot be combined with the Volvo lease cash. So it's either the DVD system or the 2K (or 3K if that is correct)

Dealer says Volvo requires $895 aquisition fee. I have not found any indication of an aquisition fee in any promotional info.

Can someone confirm or clarifiy this stuff for us?
    slackjaw, per Edmunds the incentive is definitely $3000. And it looks like you can get another $400 by financing a purchase through Volvo.
    http://www.edmunds.com/new/2008/volvo/xc90/100896007/incentives.html?vdp=off&set- zip=19707&state=DE
    Also note that is says "may be combined with other offers", hence the ability to combine with Costco deal. And the "complimentary rear seat entertainment system" only applies to the lease I believe.

My big question is this: why is Volvo doing this? Low demand? Acknowledgement that the vehicle is overpriced?
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    The Costco deal is A Plan.
    Which is invoice.
    Since you are leasing, NOT buying, the lease cash is $2000
    Plus, the $1,000 incentive from Costco.
    The DVD program CANNOT be combined w/ the lease money.
    Acq fee is $595 for Tier 0 credit
    How does the costco plan come out when buying: INV -$4000 + DVD? does the car have to come from dealer stock or can it be ordered? thanks.
    Complimentary Rear Seat Entertainment is NOT only for the lease. I'm about to purchase one this weekend and was told that it is included.
    Hope that helps.
    Not sure about the aqusition fee, sounds like it is up to the dealer what they are willing to discount to move these, but I am still waiting for Costco Rep to call me back as of 5 PM last evening??? I didn't think that Costco would be the bottleneck on this. Anyway we won't buy/lease until we get the referral from Costco rep since that's the best way to participate in this. I'll post whatever NEW information I get after Costco calls me back.
    Here is how the DVD incentive works.
    Volvo dealer charges you $1800 for the DVD(if it is dealer installed)
    If it is already on the car the price is $1823
    NOW, if you are leasing, you get a $2500 incentive that goes w/ the DVD promotion.
    There is also a $2000 lease incentive. This is only for people who don't want to do the DVD.
    You cannot combine the 2 amounts.

Same on a purchase. The regular purchase incentive is $2500. Or, you take the $3100 DVD incentive.

If you are a Costco member, you can take another $1000 incentive.
    The acquistion fee is not subj to negotiation.
    As a matter of fact, Costco will refer you back to the dealer for lease questions.
    volvomax, I'm not clear on your explanation. So if someone is buying (not leasing) on the Costco deal they pay invoice, less $3000, less $1000 Costco, plus get $500 Costco cash card, right? Now for the entertainment system you state "dealer charges you $1800" or $1823. So you're saying this is an added cost and not a "freebie"?
    Also, is it true as Edmunds states in their incentives section that you also get $400 if you finance through Volvo?
    Volvomax: Thank you. You have been very, very helpful.
    Your right, aquisition, lease payment, and interest rate is Tier driven which is based on creditworthiness and credit score IIRC. What Fico score range is tier 0?

FYI
    I did speak with Costco person this evening several times. Since I called Thursday afternoon, they were able to build my vehicle, verify my membership, now I am set to go with a vehicle tommorrow if I like the deal. Costco informs me that they have a had a fair amount of inquiries on this particular program. They must verify membership status is current and you were already a costco member before sometime in early November ?? to qualify for the Volvo program.

Since the dollar is tanking against the Euro, Sek, and Pound. We opted for local delivery.

The program they are offering is the invoice pricing which is what is showing at the costco website. Also any Volvo factory approved options that can be ordered or dealer added(Volvo stuff only) is at invoice too. Costco will audit post purchase to verify customers are getting the costco pricing on your survey you must complete to get the $500 gift card and they will also audit the paperwork the customer signs at the dealership since they are cutting the dealer a check for $1000 for the additional $1000 in discount the dealer gives you.

Cash to Dealer and cash to customer is really the dealers decision. I have been working with some honest people since they have explained how this deal works and have offered $4000 off of the invoice plus another $1000 below invoice price, plus I have been told that I am getting the DVD player too FOC installed by dealer. Leased and then bought Volvo S60R with the same dealer last year. We received the car for $11K off of MSRP with all rebates and incentives on that deal that was a steal. This one seems about as good as it gets for the XC90. I will let you know how the deal goes down tommorrow

The Costco people told me to take advantage of the offer you have to go throught the refferal process with Costco FIRST, They build the car and verify membership. After that they will contact you to go to the dealer.

I'm hoping for best, we'll see.
    Very interesting....

If it works for you volvo_r, I'm canceling my X-Plan order, and reordering through Costco. I've got a black card Executive membership, also.

Excellent find!!! Please keep us informed.
  • rocknroll389rocknroll389 Member Posts: 31
    I am interested in this deal through costco as well but according to the website, you have to be a member before NOVEMBER 15 and I just became a member 2 days ago. I have a family member that is a costco member (brother and his family). Would i be able to use his membership info and still be able to purchase under my name? I know its doubtful but i guess its worth a try....Any help would be appreciated
    well my friend --

i took the plunge and got exactly what i wanted...

after hasseling and bargaining with several salespeople - i think i found a pretty good deal:

Black XC90 5 passenger
    Beige leather interior
    Premium Package
    Moonroof/BLIS system/Wood Grained Steering Wheel
    Sirius Satellite Radio

Final Price: $35,900 + TTI

I'm very happy with my new car! Just thought I'd share!
    Did I mention it is BRAND NEW 2008 with 12 miles! Woohoo!
    We pulled the trigger did
    Black XC AWD
    Premium Package
    Black Leather
    Climate Package
    Versatility Package
    Free DVD system
    $36094 Plus TTL out the Door!
    That is a superb deal volvo_r..... almost $5K under invoice plus the free DVD. Well done!

Several questions:

1. Are you special ordering the car, or is it in stock?
    If ordered, does it have to be delivered before the end of the year?
    2. Did you deal with Costco first, and then the dealer?
    3. Was it Costco or the dealer who gave you the final price?
    4. Is this a purchase or lease?
    5. Do you mind going through the math that got you to what looks like $4,725
    below invoice deal? Part of it is the $3K dealer cash and $1K Costco rebate, I
    assume. Then there is the additional $500 from Costco, I think.

I have a Volvo X-Plan ordered, and thought invoice + 2% was a good deal, but what you got seems to about $2,500 better. That's more than enough to make me cancel the first order and go to Costco.

Even if I can pull off a similar deal as you, it wouldn't be quite as good because we don't want the third row (Versatility Pkg), so we couldn't get the free DVD.

Any advise and details will be much appreciated.
    That is the exact package and deal I am hoping to get. Can you share dealer name and location? Thanks and enjoy the new car.
    Can someone point out some evidence that there is a $2,000 lease cash program? The big-city dealer I am working with claims there is no such thing. I cannot find anything other than here and what my local dealer told me. It's all message board and verbal. I need something to show the big-city-dealer. Thanks all!