Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Tell us your TUNDRA experiences!

PiloPilo Member Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in Toyota
As a proud owner of a Tundra, I would like to hear
from people all over America to comment on this
truck.

Comments

• Options
    cwirthcwirth Member Posts: 169
    Have had my Tundra since June 3. Have over 7700 miles on it and love it to death.
  • Options
    pchengpcheng Member Posts: 162
    I have a LTD 4WD TRD w/ Leather. It's the best truck I've ever driven. Drives like a Lexus and I can put my motorcycle in the back.
  • Options
    kevhuntskevhunts Member Posts: 11
    #173 of 176: Tundra Update (kevhunts) Thu 30 Sep '99 (08:04 PM)

Well after 748 miles my SR5 accesscab 4x4 with TRD
    has been flawless. That is until today.
    Unfortunately I have developed a automatic
    transmission shifting problem. The trans up-shifts
    to 4th. gear at a low 15mph causing a lugging
    situation. And when decelerating from 40-50 mph to
    0 mph it feels as if the torque converter clutch is
    disengaging late almost causing the engine to
    stall. I nursed it to work when the check engine
    light came on. (trans is controlled by the engine
    CPU) I have made an appointment with my dealer who
    I know will identify and fix the problem. Hopefully
    this will be the only blurb. I have not had any
    other problems or complaints. The date of
    production was 9/99. If anyone else has experienced
    this problem please tell.
  • Options
    #174 of 176: Tundra Update No.1 (kevhunts) Sat 02 Oct '99 (05:57 PM)

Well the dealer said a solenoid in the
    transmission was stuck. They reset it and test
    drove it. I picked it up and on the way home it
    started again. Same Problem. I called and will have
    to take it back. I am a little angry with the
    dealer as this particular problem requires what
    they call 2 trip detection. The vehicle requires 2
    separate road tests to verify the problem is gone.
    Unfortunately, I gave the second road test. From my
    knowledge on cars and trucks, the solenoid will
    have to be replaced. I recall this problem on early
    90's chevy and Gmc trucks.
  • Options
    #175 of 176: Kevhunts (z71bill) Sat 02 Oct '99 (07:07 PM)

Maybe Toyota tryed to save a few bucks by using
    left over 1990 GM parts on its new Tundra!!! The
    way you got treated by your dealer it looks like
    Toyota is starting to follow GM service practices.
    I sure hope not .. the high standard set by most
    Toyota service departments helps push the rest to
    live up to a higher standard.. I would give them
    one more chance and then try to find another dealer
    that will fix your problem. I do not know where
    you live but in Houston I would recommend Jay Marks
    Toyota. It is a smaller dealer that does what ever
    it takes to make its customers happy..

One thing that may be obvious, but is still
    overlooked - Dealerships make lots of $$$ off of
    warranty work. Next time you are in for service ask
    how much would this service cost if it was not
    under warranty - You will be shocked... They can
    afford to give first class service - the
    manufacture is paying for it..
  • Options
    #176 of 176: Z71Bill (kevhunts) Sun 03 Oct '99 (06:00 AM)

Don't get me wrong , I am not livid with the
    dealer. They have taken great care of me in the
    past. When some other vehicle backed into my T100's
    rear bumper, I took it to the dealer for a price
    quote for repair. The service writer looked at the
    bumper and said he would replace it under warranty.
    I was shocked and delighted. They saved me a $100
    insurance deductible!
    Also I understand that this is the first model
    year and as with anything that is mass produced,
    there are bound to be some glitches. Toyota's
    reputation is good cause the keep these glitches to
    a minimum.
    I disagree that they dealer makes big $$$ on
    warranty repairs, I was told that if a repair (for
    example) takes 2.2 hours for non-warranty work,
    the factory only might pay for 1.5 hours to do the
    same job. Enough time for a fix but not enough time
    for a mechanic to double check his work or
    sometimes do the job right. I believe this is a
    common practice with all auto makers. Any Mechanics
    out there have an opinion???
  • Options
    Dealer called today to say that the factory has acknowledged a problem with some of their transmissions. Seems when the valve bodies where drilled/machined for the spool valves, there was some metal chips that were not removed before assembly. The electric shift solenoids acted like electric magnets and attracted the chips causing the solenoids to stick and bind. Since it would take 3 months for a new solenoid to arrive from Japan, the dealer has been authorized to replace the entire valve body with solenoids attached. It is being flown in from California today. They will be flushing out the trans and installing the new parts. I voiced my concern of their ability to remove all metal chips but, they assured me the factory engineers said this will work. Although the dealer never mentioned replacing the entire trans, I smell total replacement if this doesn't work. The dealer has been very vocal and have been calling every day keeping me posted. The saddest part to me is that I'm starting to like driving this fully loaded Camery!
  • Options
    z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    Sound like you have a good dealer - they must want you as a customer in the future. The one thing that makes me mad is no service after the sale. I have bought 2 chevys from two different dealers and have them serviced by a third dealer. I really wanted to buy from the dealer with the best service but they wanted $3,500 more net (after trade in) than the one I finally bought from. The service department treats me like royalty but the sales department must think I am a complete idiot.

This tranny problem must not be to common,this is the first time I have seen it posted. Even if some metal is left after they change the fluid the filter should catch it. Maybe you can get them to agree to change the fluid after 10,000 miles and see if any metal is in the filter. I would ask about this for two reasons, 1) It would be a good idea to be sure no metal is in the fluid and 2) They will do a better job of flushing it out if they know you will be looking for metal after 10,000 miles. But you do have a 50K warranty - that should make you feel a little better...
  • Options
    Got my truck back today and it feels/sounds great. Trans is shifting perfectly. On a lighter note: the low fuel indicator does work. It's a little amber gas pump icon on the dash, came on as I pulled up to the pump at which point it took 21.6 gallons to fill up. With a cap. of 26.4 gal, I figured I had about 4.8 gallons in reserve. I will post again and let everyone know how the trans is working. Good Luck!
  • Options
    buzzman2buzzman2 Member Posts: 12
    55: Please see my comment 664 under topic 866

71: I bought the tow package, then had the dealer upgrade it (no additional cost to me) to include a brake controller and seven wire harness and plug. This was done by a local hitch installer. I think the toyota receiver is much more substantial and integrates behind the bumper better than aftermarket.

86: Have the RS3000 alarm on my Tundra, and it works great. NO problems.
  • Options
    jhandleyjhandley Member Posts: 1
    After test driving a Chevy Silverado and an F150, both 2wd ext cabs, a test drove the 2wd Tundra. I loved everything about the Tundra except for the ride, it's awful. My Isuzu Trooper had a better ride. Relatively slight variations in road surface bounce you hard in the Tundra. After having a chance to study the literature from all three manufacturers, I think Toyota made a mistake with the wheelbase. It's approximately 10 inches shorter and the Ford and about 15 inches shorter than the Chevy even though both trucks are only about 7 inches longer overall. I like the idea of the one piece frame and the high ground clearance, but I also think that they both exaggerate the harshness of the ride. I'm not quite ready to go back and buy the Ford or Chevy (overall quality is very important to me) but I went in expecting to love the Tundra, but that ride will take some getting used to. Anybody had the same impression? Do you think a good sets of aftermarket shocks would make a noticeable improvement?
  • Options
    cwirthcwirth Member Posts: 169
    I have had my Tundra for over 4 months and love the way it rides. I have been in many 4x4 trucks/suvs and find the Tundra to be exceptional.
  • Options
    pchengpcheng Member Posts: 162
    I love the ride of my truck. Here is what I have found: There is a big difference between the regular suspension and the TRD suspension. The regular suspension is much softer and has a smoother ride. I opted for he TRD suspension because I thought it drove better and cornered better.

The biggest difference between the two are the tires. The reg truck comes with Dunlop Grandtrek that also comes on the 4Runner. These tires have a smooth ride. My tires are BFG Rugged Trails and has a stiff side wall.

Did you drive the reg suspension or TRD?
  • Options
    tp4unctp4unc Member Posts: 437
    Are you being serious? Everyone that has ever driven or been a passenger in my truck has commented on the nice ride. I love it.
  • Options
    rs_pettyrs_petty Member Posts: 423
    To jhandley,
    Something to check. I love my Tundra - just broke a 100 miles on odometer last night. Check the air pressure. Dealer delivered mine with 36 psi. It's suppose to be 26f, 29r. Makes a world of difference in ride and handling.
  • Options
    This is my first toyota pu. Looking at service pamphlet you can choose either 5k or 7.5k intervals based on usage. Since I use mine for personal transportation/weekend chores, I'm thinking maybe Mobil 1 (5w-30) and Fram toughgard filters every 7500. Anybody had experience with Mobil 1? I did Quaker state regular oil in my Ranger and got 110k and motor still strong; just leaks. Any seal problems with synthetic oils?
  • Options
    Ther are 1000s of posts in the maintenance conference of Edmund's pertaining to oil and filters. There is also a reference to an oil filter study there too.
    There is much debate on whether the synthetics are worth the money but I sensed a real aversion to Fram filters on the site(and the study). I have never used synthetic oils or Fram filters so I won't be jumping into that debate. I'm kinda old fashioned and I think I'll stick with 3000 mile intervals and probably a Purolator Pure one filter or equivalent. Some old habits are hard to break.
  • Options
    It's actually Topic #19. There are over 500 posts there. I had the oil topic confused with the Polish/Wax topic when I said 1000s of posts.
  • Options
    arkie6arkie6 Member Posts: 198
    I use Mobil 1 15-50 in my 84 Toyota Supra. I recommend it. Prior to switching to Mobil 1, I rebuilt the engine which had oil leaks due to age and mileage (175,000). After the rebuild I used Havoline to break-in the engine till about 3000 miles. Since then I have used Mobil 1 and increased my oil change interval from 3000 miles to 6000 miles. The car does not use or leak any oil since switching to Mobil 1. Also, at 3000 miles, the Mobil 1 looks like conventional oil when you first put it in. I change my own oil, so figuring in my time and the extended oil change interval, I figure the costs are about equal.
  • Options
    artpartp Member Posts: 156
    I saw the Fram filter study. Do yourself a favor and find the study, or at least choose another brand.
  • Options
    artpartp Member Posts: 156
    I got into the sythetic vs. conventional oil debate. There really is no clear cut winner. There didn't seem to be enough evidence or testimonial to support the inflated price of mobile One. Based on the fact that the V8 Tundra holds almost eight quarts of oil, I decided to go with a "blend" oil. The Castrol 5-30 blend costs less than half the price of Mobile One but offers some of the protection.
  • Options
    I think the price of synthetic oil is starting to drop. Penzoil has one now (well I just noticed it) for $3.00 per quart. Walmart is starting to sell 5 quart jugs of Mobile 1 for $16.00 VS almost $5.00 for the individual quarts. The Mobile 1 oil has more letters in its API service rating. SJ /CF I think, but the penzoil is only SJ. Not sure what this means but regular oil has the same API service rating as synthetic penzoil. What is the difference?? don't know.
  • Options
    The S in SJ stands for spark ignited engines, i.e, your gasoline internal combustion engine. The J indicates an improvement over the previous H and G ratings and so forth. The C in CF stands for compression ignition, i.e. a diesel engine. Therefore, in z71bill's previous post, the Mobile 1 API rating of SJ/CF indicates that it is approved for use in gasoline or diesel engines, while the Penzoil is only rated for gasoline engines.
  • Options
    ok guys, the manual says not to exceed 70mph for the first 1000. How do I do that in this wonderful v-8? :)
  • Options
    Lose your keys!!
  • Options
    Thanks for the information - sounds like you know more than most - This may be off topic but what oil do you use (type, weight, synthetic etc) in your truck? I have always used regular oil but am considering going to Mobile 1
  • Options
    Re-read the manual again. It is only a recommendation on engine break-in, not gospel. But it also said 55 mph and not 70. I stand corrected. That's even harder. Oh well, I need to enjoy it anyway.
  • Options
    I use Mobil 1 in everything I own except my lawnmower and tractor (John Deere 2550 diesel - it takes 2 gallons of Shell Rotella T 15W40). My truck ('90 Chevy S-10 4X4 w/4.3) gets 10W30. My car ('84 Toyota Supra) gets 15W50 due to having almost 200,000 miles on the block (I replaced gaskets, rings, and bearings at about 175,000 miles - all it really neaded was gaskets and seals. I replaced the rings and bearings since I had it apart). My motorcycle ('84 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk) and my 4-wheeler ('95 Honda 300 4X4) get 15W50.

Within the next year I plan on replacing the S-10 with a new Tundra V8. After the break-in, it will also get Mobile 1 10W30.

As you can see, with as many things to change oil in as I have, changing from 3000 mile to 6000 mile oil change intervals saves me a lot of time.
  • Options
    You will love that Tundra! Having just got mine I have been following the conversations on oils. Had considered going to syn, but did some shopping around and the price turns me off. I think I will stay with conventional oil, good filters, and 5000 mile changes. Most of my driving is local mix of city and freeway. Not a lot of highway cruising. I get more concerned about oil contamination if I stretched changes of syn to 7500 or 9000 miles. Since the Toy maintenance schedule calls for 7500 mile changes regular (5000 HD service) I think I'm in the zone with my choice. Use to do 3000 mile changes, but don't think I'm getting my money's worth out of the oil. 5w30 is the recommended weight on the Tundra though 10w30 is ok at higher temperatures.
  • Options
    dcarpenterdcarpenter Member Posts: 26
    I am interested in the possibility of purchasing a Tundra 4X4 6cyl., 5spd., probably with a single cab. I think this will be rather unusual with the popularity of the extended cab. I like the long bed. Does anyone have a 6cyl. 5spd. 4X4? I'd like to hear from you. Do you like it? How is the power and mileage? What about the ride?

I would like to tow a rather lightweight travel trailer and wonder if this truck will do it. I am a long time 4X4 owner and prefer the standard shift over the auto. If the V-8 was available with the stick there would be no doubt that I would opt for that.

By the way, I own a '95 Toyota extended cab 4cyl. 5spd. It is underpowered. Other than that it is the best truck I've ever owned, and believe me I've owned plenty.

Thanks for comments.
  • Options
    Bonnie,

Thanks so much for your help in returning the Tundra topic to one of seriousness. There are many of us who consider Edmunds to be a useful tool for obtaining important information.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    capt2capt2 Member Posts: 57
    I am a firm believer that the only ones who think you need to change oil every 3000 miles are the oil companies. Most all the car manuals now call for a 5000 or 7500 mile change depending on driving conditions. I did a Datsun every 7500 for 200,000, and a Tacoma for 60,000, both with no trouble. Even my wife's BMW328ic which has a series of lights to determine service requirements only calls for an oil change about every 9,000 miles.
    And for the unbelievers I'm at 5000 miles on my SR5 V8 and couldn't be happier. Finally got it over 18mpg on a recent trip and no problems with the truck at all.
  • Options
    RoclesRocles Member Posts: 982
    capt2,
    It all depends on how hard the engine was driven. COnditions also are a factor. Think about the desert, you'd want to reconsider the oil change interval.
    Another note on oil changes: IT'S CHEAP! Why push an engine with dirty oil for 7,000 miles at a time? What's a quart price? 1.39?
    Don't mean to pick on you but I just don't understand the logic. It also might reflect the motorcycle owner in me........
  • Options
    By the way, I recall this foreman who worked for me a few years back. His wife had a Ford Aerostar and didn't change the oil for thirty (yes-30) thousand miles. Somehow it didn't seize. The oil coming out was reportedly seen as tar.
    Sure you can do it but why?
  • Options
    dirtytoesdirtytoes Member Posts: 6
    I'm pretty good at math, but I found 5,000 mile changes were infinately easier to remember than 7,500 mile ones, especially on more than one vehicle over 100,000 miles. By the way, my local recycling center pays for used oil!
  • Options
    dogsterdogster Member Posts: 94
    Anyone found a cap or shell manufacturer besides Snugtop that is currently manufacturing for the Tundra? So far I've only found the Snugtop XV and it doesn't have flush mounting windows.

Anyone try mounting Nerf Bars (tube steps) on a Tundra Limited? The local 4x4 shop tried to mount some Smittybilts but said they would have to trim 2-4 inches off the rubber mudguards so I told them no.
  • Options
    kentekente Member Posts: 28
    I have only posted a few times, but I havr read almost every post in all of the TUNDRA TOPICS. Well, I bought my first pickup last night and it is a TUNDRA. IT is great. Sunfire RED, All weather, 3 in 1 radio, anti lock brakes, convenience package, cloth Captains Chairs, off road package, bedliner and security system. I got it for $2,000 off the MSRP. I probably could have saved a few hundred if I had shopped around some more, but I like the dealership and the salesman. (NO BS). If you live in the Baltimore Area, try Koon's Toyota in Westminster and talk to Joe Railson. Thank you all for all of the great information on this board.
  • Options
    katsohiskatsohis Member Posts: 83
    looking for some 1/4 mile times for the v-8 4wd tundra.just interested.
  • Options
    capt2capt2 Member Posts: 57
    Note I did say driving conditions were a factor, ie 5000 or 7500. My point being that maybe 40 years ago the oil was of such a quality that it couldn't go over 3000 miles before breaking down but today's new oil with all the additives and cleaners obviously last much longer. Didn't expect to change any minds, just have never had any problems with an engine using the 7500 mile figure. Drive about 30,000 miles a year, mostly interstate.
    You don't think BMW would schedule 9,000 mile changes if there were a chance they would have to overhaul the engine because of it?? The computer figures the service interval based on all kinds of factors..average trip length, speed, acceleration, etc.
  • Options
    Capt,
    BMW?? No but I wouldn't roll the dice anyway. Oil is cheap. I own a BMW motorcycle (R1200c) and they too call for longer intervals in between oil changes compared to the other OEMs. Oh well, I guess I waste 25 dollars for peace of mind. Then again, all of the vehicles I own are worth a few extra bucks. Just my opinion---as is yours. Take care.
  • Options
    tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    In Trucks, I owned a 72 Landcruiser for a year back in 92. It was a very unique vehicle. It had a 3.9 inline six that could do most anyting. One time I had 1 people in the Landcruiser.

In 1993, I traded it for a brand new regular cab 4 cylinder 2wd truck (before Tacoma). It was nice. The only thing I did not like about it was that it was claustrophobic.

So in 1994, I traded it in on a 1994 T-100. (actually I sold it for 700 dollars more than I paid for it at the time). I drove the T-100 for a little over 5 years. It was one of the first 4-cylinder models and it was very basic. This truck was just plain unbelievable in every way; reliability, gas mileage, hauling, ride comfort, and a few other things. I had 85,000 when I sold it.

I bought my Tundra Reg cab. this past June and have 7000 on it now. My Tundra is far more luxurious to any of the above. I will keep it until Toyota makes my next truck when they make a extended cab longbed.
  • Options
    Please tell me more about your single cab Tundra. I would like to purchase a single cab 4X4 because of the long bed, and maybe a 6cyl. because of the availability of the 5spd. transmission. Does yours have the 6cyl. or 8? Are the seats comfortable? I am assuming you have the split bench. Can you scoot the passenger seat forward and lean the seat back at all? My wife would rather have the access cab because of the seat being able to lean back, but I want the long bed.

Anyway, more info would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • Options
    Tundradude,
    I assume that this sentence contained a typo:

"One time, I had 1 people in the Land Cruiser"

1 people!! WOW!! LOL!! I know, you probably meant 10. Just pulling your leg.
    Thanks for your answers----keep the survey rolling people. I'm starting to respect this truck more and more.
  • Options
    pomy11pomy11 Member Posts: 23
    Sorry been off so long, been doin the swap meet thing for the old cars, with my Tundra. The bra fit very good on the hood, a little sloppy around the fog lights. I think this is adjustable, I'll let you know. Otherwise, as this site can tell, excellent truck.
  • Options
    Yes that was 10 people in the landcruiser. Thanks for the correction.
  • Options
    Just to note to above, there is a third regular cab model, the v6 4X4 SR5. It has the same seat as mine, the one-piece seat.
  • Options
    kimexpokimexpo Member Posts: 17
    To the Tundra owner who was stuck at the camp site due to fuel pump failure. Your post on Sat 23rd was deleted by Edmunds, but I have read it. Please list the three relays that had been replaced by the dealer. I wanted to buy those relays just in case.
  • Options
    Thanks for your input. I am sold on the long bed trucks. I also need 4X4. I wish I didn't. Two wheel drive trucks are so much cheaper and get better mileage. According to my dealer, 4X4 single cab trucks are not in production yet. He may be giving me the wrong information. I will not order one without driving it.

One more thing. Is the v-6 in the Tundra different that the one in the Tacoma? I thought they were the same engine.

Thanks.
  • Options
    framehogframehog Member Posts: 8
    Hey Guys...Sure am glad to hear so many positive comments about our Tundras. We take a lot of pride in building these trucks and it is nice to see that the owners of our trucks are so happy and proud. Enjoy your Tundras....We'll keep building 'em.
    Doug
  • Options
    neusslneussl Member Posts: 28
    In response to post number 48; I took delivery of a 4X4 SR5 Regular Cab V-8 on Aug 21st. I ordered it on June 14th and it was built to my exact specifications, including color (plat Met and CD player). By the way, the CD Player is only a $100 option on regular cabs. Almost 2,000 miles, no vibration and 17 MPG on 87 octane. The 4.7 is standard in the Lexus LX 470 at 60 grand and it is a give away in the Tundra for only 2K over the price of the 3.4. Bargain of the Century!
This discussion has been closed.