Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo XC90 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• grandpipergrandpiper Member Posts: 1
    A couple of newbie questions:

(a) What do you mean by "loaner car support?" Is itt a price adjustment because the car was in the loaner fleet?

(b) Do the incentive and rebates listed on the following link (manufacturer to dealer) essentially mean that the dealer has the amounts to play with in negotiating?

Thanks in advance.
  • andrewflandrewfl Member Posts: 3
    Just to throw out another data point re: Costco pricing..

We were told tonight that Costco = dead invoice. Ok, what's invoice on this XC90 (MSRP was $39,800)?? Invoice was $37,600ish (he even showed us "THE SHEET!!" :). When I asked "what is employee pricing compared to invoice," he said it was one in the same (which I'm not sure that I believe). We're still looking at other vehicles so we did not press foward with any negotiations - we merely wanted to find out what Costco pricing was to know how good (or not) of a deal it is.

FWIW, the MSRP to (supposed) invoice spread on the XC60 was almost identical ~ $2000 less.
  • dbh518dbh518 Member Posts: 4
    Base invoice is $35,440 plus $1,880 for AWD for $37,320 + $850 for Destination for total of $38,170. I just took deliver of 2010 xc90 with climate, blis, bluetooth and metallic paint for $40,600 (included $150 dealer advertising) less $2,500 in rebates ($500 costco/volvo, $500 volvo, $1,500 loyalty) for $38,100. I will also get another $500 costco card so when I net that out I am at $37,600. Dealer also included all-weather floor and cargo mats. Obviously got the safe and sound package as well. This is my 2nd xc90 - never had any problems with first one. Actually MSRP to invoice spread on the xc90 after including awd and destination is $2,400, not $2,000. Hope this helps.
  • wrigley4wrigley4 Member Posts: 1
    We want a 2010 XC90 3.2 AWD with Bliss + climate. Living the northeast Florida, the local dealer says 3.2 AWD are hard to come by although one that fits the bill has shown up on the lot (by magic?). Here is our quandary:

Alternative A: Car on the lot is a demo vehicle with "port damage" (supposedly a scratch on rear fender). Because of this the dealer states they cannot offer the current Safe + Sound coverage---only 4yr/50k mile warranty. Does this sound legit? Should we press to have S+S included? How much of a showstopper should we make of this coverage?

Alternative B: We are willing to order the car from the factory. However, the dealer will need to wait until the factory reopens in Sweden on Monday (4 Jan) to see if they have available capacity to build it in a 2-3 month period. They will provide Safe + Sound coverage if we order by Monday. Is this story legit? Are dealers less willing to deal with a factory order vehicle?

Last question: Not being a loyalty customer (nor a Costco participant), all they are throwing our way in line-item deductions is $500 XC90 discount. Can we push to get loyalty dollars or is this a non-negotiable.

Thanks for all your help!
  • onconc Member Posts: 26
    Obviously the dealer is NOT telling you the truth. The S&S is offered on all new XC90, it is foolish not to get it. I heard that it is worth around $3000 in retail. It is an unbelievable value. I bought my XC90 2009 because of it.
    He has no option but to give it to you if you order from factory, NOT by Monday but anytime. Volvo will continue this promotion as their sales are up because of it.
    One more advise, do NOT order from factory. If you do, then you lose a significant negotiating power and you will be charged more money. You have to put money down and if the car is damaged before delivery for any reason, they may not give you your money back. They will try to bargain with you to get something else.
    Good luck.
  • zamozamo Member Posts: 122
    I just took delivery of an ordered car and based on my experience your statement is false. Baseline price was under invoice, I did not need to put any deposit down (just credit card information), and took delivery with $0 drive off (sing & drive lease).
  • lhasa_apsolhasa_apso Member Posts: 3
    I purchased the same model from the same salesperson at 128 and was told the same info about certification. And there was no negotiating on the certification cost.

For the xc90, I found 128's prices to be the best, even though the advertised price that led me there turned out to be an error (and I believe it was an honest mistake).

The deciding factor for the certification (instead of a less expensive 3rd party warranty) for me was the promise by a manager at 128 that the certification would entitle me to a free loaner from any volvo dealer for any repair while under warranty.

Later, when I went for my first repair at another dealership, I found the free loaner offer not to be true. 128 agreed they misinformed me about the loaner (again,I think this was an honest mistake) and promised to compensate me for it in some way. But they never did. And I couldn't unwind the certification deal. After many phone calls, and contacting Volvo, I just gave up.

Also, I found a dent when I got home after I was told there were no dents (I don't think Jerry even knew), so I would examine the car carefully before driving it off the lot. I know that is just common sense, but I was so excited about the xc90 that I missed it during my 30 minute inspection---and it was right there on the front of the hood! My advice is to take someone with you so you don't make the same mistake I did. You sign a form when closing on the deal which pretty much says there are no promises other than what is in writing. I don't know if this is something unique to 128.

I really love the car and Jerry is fun to work with and very good at his job. But I probably won't buy from them again since while I can understand an error on an advertised price, being unaware of a $700 dent, and not knowing about the lack of free loaners at other dealerships, they never followed through after the sale to compensate me for their error.
  • atl_golferatl_golfer Member Posts: 9
    We decided to put the purchase off and a day later her '97 850 starts leaking oil ($1100 repair). Made the decision to purchase a lot easier. The 850 had a negative value in my mind and the dealer gave us $1500 for it ($1,500 on top of the Loyalty Incentive).

I have found this website to not be very helpful. Most people do not come back and post exactly what they paid (perhaps they don't want to know if they got a good deal or not, I don't know). Also, most people post in dealer lingo which is not helpful to the average buyer. I hope this post does indeed help someone.

Last week we bought a 2WD 2010 w/ metallic paint and the Climate Package. MSRP was $39,900 and the invoice was $37,807. We qualified for the following incentives off of invoice:

Loyalty: $1,500
    USAA: $1,000 (Dealer called this 'ZAG' pricing)
    Costco: $500

The dealer said we did not qualify for the manufacturer to dealer support of $500 b/c it was built into the USAA incentive above. I was able to negotiate another $500 off of invoice though. In total, $3,500 below invoice.

Final price of the vehicle was $34,307. If you count the Costco $500 gift card, $33,807 was the price. Only thing that bugged me was this insurance the dealer stated they had to put on all of their cars (some type of theft recovery insurance?). It was $259. I was going to make a big stink about not wanting to pay that...but I was over the process at that point. I waived a white flag. I am happy with the car. It did smell of burnt plastic after the first few drives near the back, but the dealer said that he had seen that before and it wasn't an issue. They put it up on the rack and had their mechanic look it over to make sure. We have a family Volvo mechanic who I'll also have look it over as well. Again, hope this helps.
  • skvolvoskvolvo Member Posts: 3
    Guys, this XC90 is available at my NJ dealer in Black/Beige:

AWD
    Multimedia
    Climate
    BLIS
    Bluetooth

Including destination the sticker is $45k and invoice of $42,433. I am being offered a $1,000 loyalty savings and a $500 cash back off the invoice, bringing the total to $40,933 + tax & tags. I was told there is some room for negotiation. Can you suggest a good number I should counter with?

Thanks!
  • photohphotoh Member Posts: 5
    I am stationed overseas with the military and have been researching vehicles. I was quoted a price via a 3rd party factory sales rep (Middle East Sales) on a 2010 XC90 3.2 AWD Metallic Paint, Climate Package, BLIS, Premium Sound, and the 5 year S&S program for 36,075. I would pay tax/title/reg once delivered to a dealership in the US.
    I thought this was a good deal but not sure. The sales rep claims there will be no Customs cost or other fees as it is included in the quoted price.
    Any suggestions? I emailed the quote to a local dealership to see if they can do better.
    Thanks!!!
  • gobears2gobears2 Member Posts: 23
    what is a good price with the following options:

Multimedia Package (DVD installed in headrests), Navigation system,
    Blind Spot Information system, Metallic Paint, Bluetooth.

Dealer initially offered $49.6k plus taxes. Thoughts?
  • zamozamo Member Posts: 122
    That is actually a pretty good price considering the equipment. The MSRP should be near $55K.
  • needacar13needacar13 Member Posts: 7
    My lease with US Bank on my 07 XC90 is up in a few months and I was wondering if anyone has had success in negotiating a lower buyout than contained in their lease paperwork. Thanks
  • vrr106vrr106 Member Posts: 3
    CPO XC90 NAV BLIS 17K miles for $31.5K 7 seats leather. Good price?
  • backstrokebackstroke Member Posts: 1
    We recieved an offer on a 2010 XC90 (not the R-design). AWD, Climate package, bluetooth. Volvo has a deal going on of 5 years 60,000 miles, all maintenance covered (brakes/oil/everything except tires). They also have a deal for Lexis/Toyota owners who buy from them of $1000 discount of which we will take advantage of.

The offer we recieved (in Northern California) was $38,800 plus TTL, but including the $850 delivery charge. Is this a fair price or too high? What have you paid for your 2010 Volvo?
  • oklahoma29oklahoma29 Member Posts: 4
    I just want to thank all the people on this board for helping me decide if I should buy a Volvo. There are some fantastic posts that really helped me. I hope my post can help someone.

I have been looking for an XC90 for months. I decided to purchase new since the certified 2008s with leather and sunroof are nearly the same price as new base models (after negotiating). I research every SUV possible that is out there! I decided the XC90 was for me, but the price was not. I knew it would be hard to get a good price seeing as the 2010's were redesigned with new luxury standards.

Well after weeks of negotiating I found a 2010 with 5K miles in Florida for $33,500. I was thinking wow that is awesome deal. After getting some advice from my Mom she said wait until the end of the month. I was thinking okay it is only a week away I can handle it. Well I made many calls to dealerships that day. I walked away with a brand new 17 miles XC90 white w/Safe & Sound with a MSRP $38,550 for $34,300 out the door! I could have got it for $33,300 but I do not own a Volvo, Saab, Lexus, or Toyota. This is cheaper than most of the demos.

I learned to negotiate on the final day of the month and when some dealers say it is not possible move on someone will take your money! Buy from dealers who have large amounts of inventory. Any dealer can ship and it is not that expensive. I did all the negotiating on the Internet and phone. I never set foot in the dealership I purchased from. I purchased my XC90 with Volvo of Dallas and I live in Oklahoma. They are the only Volvo dealership I will ever work with again. The dealership has fantastic customer service and also a huge selection. They even are going trade it for a black one that I really wanted even after the paperwork has been sent to me. They are a fantastic dealership!

Also, when purchasing a demo the warranty started when the car was first labeled as "demo". I learned that most demos already have 6 months of the warranty gone even though you can get the "Safe and Sound Program". Make sure you check the CarFax on all demos. I looked at one demo that was "sold" and returned huge red flag. Also, it will show when the vehicle original went to demo status. So if you purchase a demo use this to negotiable, because 10% of the warranty is gone.

I will let you know how my new XC90 turns out. I should take delivery this weekend. I am so excited to get my first Volvo!!!
  • bitenmeinbitenmein Member Posts: 4
    I paid this for a used 08 v8 sport(R-design) awd with all the bells and wistles. The 10' with similar equipment was nearly 50k after 6k in incentives. 39k for the t6 ummm i would wait till june or july when the tax rate is supposed to go back down in california.
  • cs011241cs011241 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone has recently purchased 08 CPO AWD XC90 in Chicago? I am seeing a price near $30k before tax for a I6 base with 20~40k miles. Will we see a better price into the end of Feb or beginning of summer? Thanks,:confuse:
  • maleaser58maleaser58 Member Posts: 2
    Anybody know the February money factor and residuals for the 2010 xc90 3.2 AWD with climate 12k per year? My lease expires April 1st and am trying to figure out if i should take advantage of any deals before then. I am also over on my mileage on my 2008 lease of the same vehicle. These salesmen are also pushing US Bank heavily vs. Volvo Credit. Any thoughts are appreciated.
  • volvomommavolvomomma Member Posts: 1
    Hello- I plan on purchasing an XC 90 towards the end of March in the Boston area.

I would like black, 3.2 AWD with climate package. We will be paying cash, and hope to use the end of the month tactic to our advantage.

I am wondering if anyone recently purchased, or got offers on that specific car?

With my zip code Edmunds gives TMV $37,715 (invoice $37,040)

Thanks!
  • sodoi18sodoi18 Member Posts: 9
    Could your provide name of the agent you dealt with at dallas volvo. I am looking to get a XC90 2010, AWD with Climate, Multimedia - ANy suggestions on how much will be a good price?
    Dealer quoted following:

Silver Metallic AWD 2010 XC90

Base Price:: 35,438
    Destination: 850
    Met Paint: 517
    Climate: 752
    AWD: 1880
    Profit: 300

Total = 39,737

I don't have a Costco membership. I dont own any other Volvo to take any other discounts. I would appreciate if anyone can provide some inputs and ways to obtain any discounts

What should be negotiating price on this car.

Thanks a Bunch
    Is the line item discount of $500 for all buyers?
    Which dealership are you working with

Thanks
    Please email me as you are not allowed to post sales peoples names on this site. You can get my email by going to my profile.

As far as price goes you are looking at an MSRP of $43,850 including delivery.
    I would aim for at least 5-6K off. I would also wait to the very last day of February. The deals are so much better!!! Also, make the dealers compete. Tell them the prices you are getting and ask them if they want your business. Search Autotrader.com & Cars.com for the best prices then contact those dealers to negotiate even more. The bigger the dealer the better the deal.

I hope this helps. By the way I took delivery of mine (the dealer delivered) and I absolutely love it. Mine is the base, but I don't care as long as it had a sunroof and leather. I hope you find your Volvo. Just make sure you buy before the Safe and Sound is over. Good luck.
    I cannot get my email to show up on Edmunds. Her name is Lisa R.
  • kclemente1kclemente1 Member Posts: 2
    Please clear up conflicting information I am getting from two different dealerships. One (a volvo dealer) claims the 2008 XC90 I am looking to purchase will have the remaining warranty of 5yrs/60,000 miles. This is separate from the CPO warranty that is offered. Another dealer (a no-haggle car superstore) claims that the 2008 only comes with a 4yr/40,000 powertrain warranty. Who is right? Thank you very much for any help.
    edited February 2010
    The 2008s had a 4/50K warranty. The 5/60 is a special this year. You cannot combine a CPO warranty (6/100K from original service date) with the factory. Call Volvo.com or search their site.

I would stick with one that is a CPO just in case something goes wrong. You may want to check out a new one instead. I started looking at 08 CPOs and turns out I only paid 3-4K more and mine is a 10. The 10s have way more standard features including leather & sunroof plus Safe and Sound. Hope this helps.
  • kclemente1kclemente1 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your response, it was a great help. I also think I will look at a new 2010.
  • sandiego7sandiego7 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking at the same car 2010 XC90 with msrp 38550 with quote of $36200 from dealer. Did you qualify for any other rebates (such as loyalty cash) to receive your price of 34300?

I would appreciate any opinions on the aforementioned quote which is $300 below invoice.

Thank you
  • jmmommyjmmommy Member Posts: 6
    Hello all,
    Tomorrow I am supposed to purchase my XC90 V8. Bliss, Blue Tooth. Black on Black. I already have a volvo so I will get $1000 loyalty. Because this will be before March 31 I will get that 5 yr maintenance. Looking to put 10k down (plus i will get 1000 loyalty). I was told the car is 50600. Checking the following:

-Should I really wait until WED, last day of the month?
    - Was told APR will be 3.49% good or not?
    - With the 10k plus 1k down on a 72mth lease I will be paying around 590. Good or NOT?
    -Are they still running the COSTCO pricing? I let my membership lapse but would take it out again if it will save me $$$
    - Can I negotiate DVD players in there, how low will the dealers usually go?

I really like the person I am dealing with and WANT to give him the business but I want to make sure I am getting the best possible price for our family.

The V8s are hard to come by close to me and I am having a hard time getting good competitor pricing. I live NY.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,570
    - With the 10k plus 1k down on a 72mth lease I will be paying around 590. Good or NOT?

72 month lease? Do you mean 72 mo. finance payment?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• crestonavecrestonave Member Posts: 209
    I personally would not wait until the last day of the month. I would feel like that would limit my options to get up and walk away in case something unexpected came up when I was finalizing the deal. Also, speaking for myself, it's great to be able to like the salesperson involved but all things being equal it's a business transaction and the best deal is what gets my business. Heck, I may never see that salesperson again, so how much of a difference does it make as to whether I like him/her or not?
    Hi Kyfdx,
    Sorry, 72 month Finance.
    Thanks
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,570
    Okay..no problem.

Scared me a little.. lol..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Put a deposit down and we are going to sign paperwork tomorrow and pick up car on Wed.

The only question I still had was is there a Costco discount still out there?

I will post all pricing tomorrow.
    Thanks
  • finev8finev8 Member Posts: 2
    thx in advance for feedback.

received an offer from a dealer (not volvo dealer so no factory CPO, just dealer certified) on the following:

07 v8 sport
    52.5K miles
    DVD/NAV/Technology Package
    so this has all options except for climate, convenience and BLIS.
    vehicle is VERY clean, and carfax and maintenance reports check out.

offer is $25k. good price?

Mileage doesnt necessarily scare me, but of course would have preferred at least some warranty coverage. I'm just wondering if it would be worth finding something at a slightly higher purchase price but with volvo CPO (6yr/100k)?

side note-if anyone could recommend a quality 3rd party warranty, I'm all ears.

Secondly, if I go with same yr/model (minus DVD/NAV, but including climate/convenience), mileage btwn 25-45k, WITH CPO, what price might I expect to pay best case?

thx!
  • bitenmeinbitenmein Member Posts: 4
    edited April 2010
    --fineV8
    I paid 36 +Gumunt fees for same with 25K miles for an 08' from Crapmax. Love it since its still under factory, but bought the $2200 extended JIC warranty. As it turns out a strut was bad and it was a little over $1000 to replace front driver strut and bushing. I am not too keen on non-factory warranties, but its good for 6 years from my purchase date and total 99K miles.
    Nothing like own'in a Chinese luxury car.
    PS the suspension is very very stiff. Not like a sports car, but more like a moving truck. Curious-What brand tires are on it? 19"?
    Good luck.
  • finev8finev8 Member Posts: 2
    thx for the reply bitenmein.

what is 'JIC' (spell out please)? Curious to research the warranty, and assuming you mentioned the repair as it was covered by this 3rd party warranty???

dont know the brand but they're 19's.

I'm not finding much else out there within proximity to this offer, then again this without CPO/Warranty. I'm anxious to know others opinions as well, and any expert advice regarding comparable costs, with and/or without CPO warranty.

Thx again!
  • lostproclostproc Member Posts: 1
    Just picked up a 2008 XC90 3.2 AWD w/ Premium and Climate packages, 19.5K miles and CPO for $30.2K. THere are many 2008s on the lots right now due to the 2008 lease special that Volvo ran in 2008. I think this is a good time to shop for XC 90s
  • akasupermommyakasupermommy Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at a 2010 xc90 (standard, no extras) with 6k miles. This is a "service car" which i assume means it was a loaner. I am waiting for dealer to send me a price and in the meantime want to get an idea of what kind of discount I should ask for. He said price would be below invoice and possibly less the "stipend" dealer receives from manufacturer. We are eligible for 2.9% financing and would get 5yr/60k mile warranty and 5yr/60k mile Safe and Sound program (of course since the car already has 6k miles we are missing out on 10% of the life of the warranty).

MSRP on this car is 38k. What would be a great price? This is my first experience with buying a service/demo and I am a little worried that it has been used and abused...but I'm willing to roll the dice if I can get a deal.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
  • strohbstrohb Member Posts: 1
    Just got lease quote for 48mo, 15k mi for $625/mo + Tax of 8%, 42kmrsp, 38800 (XC90 R design).
    Does this sound fair??

Also is the 2011 coming out soon, as this might entice them to reduce price on 2010's

Thanks, Bill
  • marker70marker70 Member Posts: 12
    Hi,

My wife wants to buy a new 2010 XC90 AWD with Climate Package. She talked to a salesman and he indicated through the costco program, the price would basically be invoice price ($40K). Question is, is it possible to get this car below invoice and if so, how much below can I go?

I think there is a $500 incentive as well as a 3.99% financing. Can both be combined?

Thanks!
  • marker70marker70 Member Posts: 12
    Just got the following offer from dealer:

-2010 XC90
    -Climate Package
    -Blis
    -Bluetooth
    -Wood steering wheel
    -Non Metallic Paint

Price: $38,700

Is this a good deal? What do you think?
  • njnjronnjnjron Member Posts: 1
    I have been pricing the xc 90 for 2010 and was about to purchase when I found out that metallic silver was not available in nj at this time- with AWD, climate pkg, BLIS, BI-xenon headlamps, Sirius radio. the dealer said I could get what I wanted if I waited until July when the 2011 comes out or wait until Aug and order it from the factory.
    Any input on this would be appreciated.
  • volvodad10volvodad10 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

Recently placed a special order with a local dealer here in NW Ohio for a 2011 XC90 3.2 AWD R-Design with Climate & Dynamic packages, plus BLIS. Expected delivery, however, is mid-August 2010 and therefore may not be eligible with current promotions (5yr/100k Safe+Secure, loyalty rebate, APR,etc.)

Based on Volvo's incentive "habit" of past years' August/September period, what is the likelihood of similar or better incentive(s) to happen in August 2010?

Thanking everyone in advance for any input or comment.
  • volvodad10volvodad10 Member Posts: 2
    Hi marker70,

I use this site's True Market Value (TMV) calculator available here:
    http://www.edmunds.com/new/2010/volvo/xc90/101181546/options.html?x=95&y=12&acti- on=1

With the package/options information you provided, and with the following assumptions as input for the calculation:
    - Vehicle is new
    - it's the 3.2L FWD version
    - Location is NW Ohio

The TMV comes out to $38,505, meaning the dealer's quote is $195 higher, implying opportunity to negotiate the price lower.

If it was the 3.2L AWD version, the TMV comes out to $40,410, meaning the dealer's quote is $1,710 lower.

Now, if it was the 3.2L FWD R-Design version (which i find quite unlikely since it does not come with a wood steering wheel), the TMV comes out to $40,232

Add AWD to the above 3.2L R-Design, and the TMV becomes $42,138.

Hope the above helps.
  • chrism0001chrism0001 Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a 2007 XC90 w/ 42K miles. CarMax offers "bumper-to-bumper" warranty for next 5 years/60K miles for $2,100. Should I buy this coverage, which would cover me until about 100k miles?
  • charlesmithcharlesmith Member Posts: 1
    Car: Ice White, Off black int, 3.2 R-Design, BLIS, Blutooth, Climate Package, AWD
    Sticker: $44,830
    Invoice: $42,035
    TMV Others Paying: $42,930

Our trade in 03 Jeep Liberty, 48K mi, good condition

Dealer offer roughly $35,000 + Tax, Title & Reg including the trade

I'm sure we can secure their 2.9% offered for either 60 or 72 plus 5 years safe and sound....basically they had a no hassle offer and we weren't even looking to buy today....

Good offer? Can the move more you think? Should we try and sell car to carmax and bring cash down to table in lieu of trade to try and sweeten their offer so they wouldnt have to sell our trade?

Thoughts :-) Thanks!
  • floyd_dfloyd_d Member Posts: 5
    I'm curios to hear how this turned out for you? Did you buy the car and how much of a discount did you get? I am in a similar siutation contemplating buying a demo 2010 XC90 with similar mileage. I'd like to know how much to shave off of the invoice for it not being truly new.
  • prh1976prh1976 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

We bought a 2009 XC90 3.2 R design last year from our local dealer. It was a demo, with about 5400 miles. The list was approximately 43,500 and we paid 34,000, and that price included the 5YR/60,000 complete maintenance.

Regards,

Paul