Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo XC90 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• lev_berkovichlev_berkovich Member Posts: 858
    Brian, send me your e-mail. I have posted some pictures of Prague for you. I will respond with the link to the website. My e-mail is in my profile.
  • kneadnukneadnu Member Posts: 9
    Could you tell me more about the US military buying program? Do you have to be stationed in a specific area? I'm looking @ a '05 XC90 and my husband is in Iraq. JM
  • vetpathologistvetpathologist Member Posts: 30
    Any thoughts on the Volvo navigation system (I am hooked on the Nav with my Acura TL). Not one Volvo dealer had a vehicle with Nav to do a demo in my area. Any comparison between Acura and Volvo Navigation systems?
  • georgesgeorges Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I have not taken delivery of the vehicle yet. I did see an XC90 with the navigational system in the lot. The screen is located at a height that does not take your eyes of the road. While we were not moving, the screen was easy to read and the salesman toggled through the menu with ease on the steering wheel. I hope this helps....

George
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I also have a 2004 Acura TL and we are strongly leaning to the XC90 V8. I've seen the Volvo navigation system and was not impressed. 6.5 inch screen, average resolution and I'm not in favor of the top of dash pop up location. Although some claim an advantage to "not taking your eyes off the road", I'd rather have the screen in the top of the center stack like the Acura.

However, we must both keep in mind that the Acura system is the best screen, voice activation and touch screen systemm, bar none. Even the Lexus system on the GX470 is a couple notches down.

I was happy to pay $2k for the Acura system; not sure the Volvo system is worth $2,120. Nor do many others, as I understand fewer than 10% of the XC90's come with it.
  • aharis720aharis720 Member Posts: 1
    JM,

Did you ever get a response to your questing about the US Military buying program? I'll be TDY in Jan to an overseas location and am looking to do the same thing. The word I received on the issue was if you are stationed at an overseas location or TDY. aharris720
    No, no response. But I really need something now, so I'm going to go at it on my own. Good luck to you, JM
  • barryctbarryct Member Posts: 29
    Hi. I purchased my XC90 T6 through the Military Overseas Program. I was stationed in Iraq when I began the process. I went to the Volvo web site and inquired about info and was put into contact with their Middle Ease Sales person. I made a $1000 deposit and ordered my vehicle. At the time I was going to have to wait until the '05s since the allocation for '04 was gone. Luckily there was a change and I was able to take delivery in July. I obtained a loan for the balance from a US bank and had to pay the balance once the vehicle was ready to be shipped. Once that was done I waited about 30 days for delivery from a Volvo dealership of my choosing. They prepped it for delivery, gave me an orientation and the keys and that was it. It is basically just like ordering from the dealership accept you can save a lot of money. The whole process is very professionally handled. They take care of you pretty good. Here is the address:
    http://vcic.volvocars.com/militarysales
  • aaaedgarpoeaaaedgarpoe Member Posts: 107
    IIHS tested the 2003 XC90 and of the luxury SUVs it has a rather high femur forces (reference http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/details/luxsuv_f- ront.htm ) of 6.3, and 5.0 for left and right respectively on the driver.

Any idea if anything has been done since then to reduce these forces in the 2005 XC90 model year?

Note 6.3 kilonewton = 1,416.2963464 pound-force
  • aaaedgarpoeaaaedgarpoe Member Posts: 107
    xc90/xc70 -- why do they start out at about the same base price when there when there is so much more to an xc90?
  • jimuwjimuw Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2004 AWD XC90 at Volvo of Tacoma(WA) in Fife WA.I had a choice of 7 dealers in the area and I just had a hunch that they would have the best selection of 04's and because of location offer the best price.As it turned out they were down to 1 2004, it was Black sapphire and fully loaded with every option except the 18"
    wheels.

The msrp was 46,895 which is where the sticker price was aprox.invoice was 43,241 ,TMV was 43,460.He took off 1700 for the versatility pkg.
    taking it down to 41,541, an added 500.00 for total of 42,041(1200 below TMV).

I did add running boards for 875.I got talked into (by my wife) the total chip guard protection
    899.00 and the paint and interior protection 595.
    I was offered the extended warranty from 4 yrs to 7 yrs for an additional 1995.00 but passed, and passed on the stolen car protection systems.
    Thank you, thank you! I'm going to get my husband to work on it. You can special order it? any way you want? So glad you responded, I was going to the dealership tomm. to negotiate but I'll hold on a little longer. JM
  • barryctbarryct Member Posts: 29
    I ordered it like you would from a dealership. I picked model, color, interior, option packages, etc. Once it was on a ship I could track it by port city. Worked out real nice. Some dealerships may be able to do as well or better on in stock '04s. You may want to check both, especially if you are not tied to a specifically configured XC90.
    Chris
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A midwestern newspaper would like to talk with someone who, in the past month, bought a luxury vehicle (other than a Lexus) for which minimal incentives were available. Please reply to jfallon@edmunds.com by Friday, October 8, 2004 with your daytime contact info and a few words about your purchase decision.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Hi! Wanted to thank you for the info and I ordered my XC90 through a local dealership last night. When I told them I was going thru the Military sales program, then he told me I could do the same thing w/ the dealership. They just need a POA from my husband and a military ID. It only took @ 30-45 min and the process was the same, except I had to put a $2000 deposit down and then pay the balance 30 days before delivery. No destination charge and saved a couple thousand off the base price. It also takes about 12 weeks for delivery but it's worthing saving a couple of thousand. I'm still waiting for a military sales person in Kuwait to respond to my email 5 days ago. Thanks again. I've learn alot of great info from these forums. J
    Congratulations. Which model did you get? We are trying to decide whether to forego a 2004 tax deduction in favor of getting an XC90 V8 in March.
    thanks! 2.5 AWD ruby red w/ all the bells & whistles. I liked the gas mileage better than T6 and couldn't really tell the difference in handling and acceleration. J
    I agree with your assessment of the 2.5 vs. T6. I would be deciding between the V8 6-speed and the 2.5 5-speed, but have completely ruled out the T6 4-speed.

Just curious, did they give you any break in price on "all the bells and whistles" or are you paying full MSRP for the options? If so, you've still got a good deal, but I noticed the options are marked up quite a bit more than the base price of the car. When I priced out a loaded 2.5, I came up with a total of $9,765 in options that have an invoice price of $8,396. That's a $1,330 markup, whereas, in the U.S., the base car itself is only marked up about $2,300 ($36,615 MSRP vs. invoice of $34,611). At least one dealer I talked to said they might be able to negotiate "a little discount" on the options on an Overseas Delivery purchase.

Congrats again, sounds like you've got a great car to look forward to.
  • 90info90info Member Posts: 7
    05 XC90 2.5T AWD - Metallic Paint, Graphite interior, Premium PKG, Climate PKG, Wood Steering whl, Premium Stereo, 18" Atlantis wheels. quoted at 41,335 - MSRP 43,220. Tri state area dealer.

Can anyone provide input, much appreciated looking to purchase within a few weeks, will have to wait about 10 weeks for delivery. - thanks in advance, any thoughts would help...
    With this kind of waiting period - go with Overseas delivery at $39,625 (as described)- will save over $1500 more + you will get two round trip tickets to Europe and a free night in Gothenburg.
  • coppercopper Member Posts: 94
    Keystone Volvo in PA is selling at $300 above invoice.
    have you had any experience w/ keystone?
    Yes...waiting till the end of this month to make the deal on a 2005 T6. Very nice guys. They are fairly new so they are still in the "impress" stage.
    Shoot them an email. Don't forget about Volvo's offer this month: Free versatility package.
    I'm paying MSRP for the options but a break of $1811 off the invoice(base price $32,500) and no destination charges. Thats a total savings of $1698 taking into account that I'm paying MSRP for options. Options were $8,445 MSRP vs $7,647 invoice. Originally I was only able to get $800 over invoice before I knew I could get military pricing and of course the dealer knew nothing about that until I told him "Thanks but we're going through a military sales person". There's no haggling and the price is set. So I'm happy w/ the deal.
    And thanks, I hope so.
    thanks, i will look into keystone. the versatility give away is only on the 04's correct?

all in all i think i am at a good price point, would you or anybody else agree.
    free versatility is for 05's also.
    I'm paying $300 above invoice, so that's a good price point for me. That's the best price I found.
    Check with Keystone and ask them how much above Invoice they are willing to go on your car.
    that sounds great!, i will check with keystone

keystone is in montgomeryville, bethlehem pike correct?

thanks for all your help!
    Yep...the Montgomeryville location.
    Make sure you don't take the Blue one...that one is mine :-)

Good luck!
  • dw102800dw102800 Member Posts: 5
    I returned yesterday from my OSD on the 5 cylinder. We really enjoyed the whole experience, and love the vehicle.

The car cost $43,135 and my invoice was as follows:
    prem package
    vers package
    climate package
    xenons
    parking assist
    wood steering
    premium sound
    nav system
    retractable mirrors
    Congratulations,
    But how did you get the retractable mirrors on 2.5T? Neither I nor a couple of other 04 "OSD" folks here on Edmunds could do that.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Member comments on XC90 purchase:

Luxury Car Sales Zoom

http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosinsider/0410/11/a01-299659.htm

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• nellisnellis Member Posts: 1
    Can you tell me which dealership in Phoenix you negotiated the price below xplan. I also have the xplan available. Thank you
  • adp3adp3 Member Posts: 446
    Lev: maybe he bought an 05?
    It's not listed for the MY05 either.
  • dw102800dw102800 Member Posts: 5
    the 2005 2.5t's have retractable mirrors as an option-that was one reason we waited for the 05
    Can you provide me with any references for this option - I can not find it anywhere but a part of the Touring Package for T6. Nothing for 2.5T
  • guyfguyf Member Posts: 456
    I have them on my 04 2.5T....???
    Maybe Canadian options are different from the US
    Yes, that is it.
    Retractable mirrors are listed as an option for both 2.5T and T6 in Canada, but for the T6 only in US.
  • 6isgreat6isgreat Member Posts: 1
    hi, similar to you we keep our cars forever and use them voraciously. we are investing in our first volvo x90 2005, with all options (except rear assist) including DVD, 4 headphones, winter & summer mats, mudflaps, and look forward to a 10/28 delivery. so a few questions if you would: 1)how often do the boats come in early? 2) why don't more people own them 3)is the warranty a one time payment for the life of the car

thanks. tc
    1. Boats come every week to the East coast and about once every two weeks to the West coast. It takes about two weeks for the boat to reach the East coast and another two weeks to get around Central America through the Panama canal. Overall - count for 3-4 weeks form the date of the drop-off till the US delivery for East cost and 5-6 weeks for the West coast. This time it took almost seven weeks for us, but our car was seized by the customs for almost two weeks for undisclosed reasons.
    2. If you ask why more people do not utilized OSD, I have no good answer. One of the reasons, I believe - not everyone likes to travel, also, people are compulsive by their nature and once they are ready to buy, they probably do not want to wait. Also the domestic incentives were good lately. However, I would not exchange a wonderful experience for much more routine purchase here, even if I would have saved a bit more.
    The reality is, though, that the OSD combined savings (car + trip) well exceed any of the domestic incentives I ever read of here on this board. It's such a clear cut for me...
    3, An extended warranty is one time purchase, but you can finance it, just like a car purchase.
    There are different deductibles, that you would have to pay for every repair after the original warranty will expire, but you can purchase a 0 deductible policy for more money up-front. I have chosen $50 deductible.
  • leolukleoluk Member Posts: 1
    Privet Lev!
    Does that programm ( purchase Volvo in Sveden )Still exists?
    I want to get XC90
    Sure it does. All the details are at

http://volvocars.us/FinancialServices/Overseas/
  • emouraemoura Member Posts: 2
    I am getting '04 with 10K miles --program car-- fully loaded, 3rd seat, etc for 37999 down from 38600; I looking at the prices being paid new and it seems like the previously owned route might just be the way to get these cars for a much better price. The exact same car 05, European delivery, 42K... I can take a trip to Europe for less than 4K with the traveling deals from the east coast now. Good luck to all.
    "The reality is, though, that the OSD combined savings (car + trip) well exceed any of the domestic incentives I ever read of here on this board. It's such a clear cut for me..."

Lev,

What did you actually pay for your XC90 with all options compared to invoice. As I understand it, the OSD base price is less than US invoice, but all of the options are at MSRP. When I looked at a fully loaded 2004 XC90 2.5, the OSD price was about the same as the best deal I could get locally. And when the free versitility package was thrown in, the final price would have been roughly $1,700 below invoice.

We are seriously considering going for a 2005 XC90 V8 through OSD, and that vehicle will likely sell for near MSRP in the US until pent up demand is met. So our relative savings for going OSD should be significant However, my dealer who sells a higher persentage of OSD cars than any other dealership in the country (thanks to DC diplomats, etc), indicated that the 2004 T6 US deals were better than the OSD prices.

Also, anyone got a deal from Volvo or the airlines to add two kids to the trip? Might as well make it a family vacation.
  • mmmm8mmmm8 Member Posts: 26
    >>>Also, anyone got a deal from Volvo or the airlines to add two kids to the trip? Might as well make it a family vacation.
    I recently took the 2005 S60R Formula 1 OSD. Included in the packages were 2 business class tickets with SAS airline. I added one adult, one 4 years old, and one 23 months old. The regular business class costs $6K to $7K. The adult, and 4 years old were charged $2400 each. And the baby (less than 2 years old; no seat) was charged $850. Approximately, 1/3 of the regular price for extra tickets. And $100 for a baby. By the way, it was arranged through Volvo Travel Service.
    Have fun!
  • adp3adp3 Member Posts: 446
    yes, Volvo gets decent pricing on the additional tickets (the 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc. travelers). Not sure how great th epr4icing was, but I know it was better than I could have gotten on my own, at the time.

no surprise that you can get a 6 cheaper domestically than through OSD. The OSD deal is a no-brianer if you have to pay near list for the vehicle. If you can get it domestically near invoice, and equipped the way you want, then you should do the math.

but don't forget you get a free car rental (YOURS) when you do OSD, and that is a significant factor if you plan to travel in Europe by car. (Of course, there's so much travel in Europe that is just superb by mass transit.)
    Be careful with program cars. If that is the one that was used for the Drive for Life event, I would not touch it with the 20 foot pole. And I think all the participants will agree with me.

Make sure that you know what that particular car was used for...

Also, I got much more than 4K in trip savings for my 21 day long trip:
    - $2350 for two tickets
    - $135 for one night in Gothenburg
    - at least $3000 in savings on rental (for the car with auto transmission large enough to hold 4 adults and luggage for 3 week trip).

I wish you a good luck to travel to Europe for under 4K, even if you are backpacking.
    My two cents - the mass transit is not cheap in Europe. Your car is, by far, the cheapest way to travel for the family of 4. (I concur with Rick Steves on that. He says that train and bus for two is about the same as rental car, and even the rental car is cheaper for the family of four).
    Here what XC90 was:

2.5T AWD
    Ruby red metallic
    Premium package
    Versatility package
    Wood steering wheel
    18" wheels
    Rear park assist
    Heated front seats (not available as a single option here)
    Speed sensitive steering (not available on 2.5T here)
    $40,375.

Edmunds 2004 invoice for all these options - $40,817, and I have free speed sensitive steering.

+ I got $2350 worth of air fare, one night hotel ~$135, and free luxury rental car for 21 days - you do the math.