Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo XC90 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• guyfguyf Member Posts: 456
    Lev, How do you like the speed sensitive steering on the XC? We have it on our S60 and we love it!
  • lev_berkovichlev_berkovich Member Posts: 858
    We love this car, period. The steering is extremely responsive, but I do not know whether it's because of being speed sensitive, or because XC90 has a good steering in general. I wish I can compare two side by side.
  • mississippimississippi Member Posts: 9
    For a T-6 (base 38589), silver metallic paint ($387) with Versatility pkg (no charge b/c of current dealer incentive), navigation system ($1823), wood wheel ($279), DVD player ($1715) plus $100, plus $685 destination, $250 supplemental advertising, $289 processing , plus state tags for $79 for 2-yr tags. I believe that the $100 over invoice is a good deal, but what about all of those extra misc add-on expenses? Thanks.
    I think, the only component you can negotiate to remove is supplemental advertising. You can also negotiate a processing fee down. But consider that dealer has passed an entire Versatility package incentive on you, you might have tough time doing this.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    If that is a 2004 T6, I believe the deals in the DC area were up to $1,500 UNDER invoice, without any advertising or processing fees and in addition to the free versitility package. According to my dealer, some T6's went out the door at prices that were at or below comparably equiped 2.5's because of excess supply and low demand. Can't comment upon the 2005 prices.
  • mnmatchesmnmatches Member Posts: 111
    Has anyone here had any luck buying an XC90 in the Twin Cities area? There are Two (2) dealers in the state and 5 within 250 miles. Its my feeling that because there are so few that our local dealers are having their way with pricing. Suggestions are welcome!
    Thanks, lev_ and hab_, for the pricing info. BTW, it is a 2005 model that my dealer says has to be factory-ordered b/c of the nav system (none in stock anywhere that aren't loaded with other stuff that I don't want to pay for). I had heard that the destination fee was pretty standard. And dealer tells me that the supplemental ad fee is standard for all Volvo dealership? In any event, it seemed like I should have some room to negotiate re the "processing fee" (whatever that really is)- it just seems high to me in light of the dealer's actual paperwork costs. Best, -Mis_
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Processing or document fees are a big profit center for some dealers and anything over $50 for getting title and registration is a rip-off. But instead of wasting time negotiating the line items, figure out an out the door price you think is fair and work up to that.

10 STEPS TO BUYING A NEW CAR

Steve, Host
    Good suggestions, Steve. And the article is helpful, too. Many thanks. Mis_
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I grew up down there and feel such an affinity with your user name I had to jump in. There's a ton more buying articles under the Tips & Advice tab, plus don't miss the Confessions of a Car Salesman article.

Steve, Host
    Interesting,
    I have a very different answer for you today.
    My wife, who drives the XC90, was driving me to the bus stop on my S80. While she was backing from the garage and maneuvering through the driveway to alley, she asked me, if something is wrong with my steering. She saw the difference between the regular steering on my S80 and the speed sensitive steering on her XC90 right away.

I have mentioned your question to her and today's answer is: We love it!.
  • 90info90info Member Posts: 7
    05 2.5T AWD
    Prem pkg, prem sound, climate, wood steering wheel, 18" wheels, versatility pkg. (n/c) xenon headlights and kick plate.
    east coast dealer - no OSD

out the door for 45,150.30

any comments are appreciated....

thanks
    How long do you have to wait?
  • 90info90info Member Posts: 7
    Delivery is for mid Dec. i dont mind the wait - not in a hurry

what are your thoughts on the price?
    It's about 5 grand more than my 04 with about the same options. But I am afraid to be annoying pritching for the OSD.
    Thanks, Steve, I really enjoyed the article.

Here's what we ended up with:
    2005 T6, metallic silver with graphite leather interior, wood steering wheel, navigation system and reverse warning system: Out-the-door price $44200 (this total includes taxes, tags, destination, etc). As part of this price, they agreed to deliver it to my house (as I live a long haul from the dealership) and to close the transaction via mail. Expected delivery in mid-December.

Whaddya think?

And thanks to all on this forum who have shared helpful buying tips with me. I hope that our pricing info may also be of some assistance to others.
    Oops...forgot to include in my above message (number 548) that the $44200 price also includes the Versatility Pkg. -Mis
  • 3pinfever3pinfever Member Posts: 10
    Looking at an 04 dealer demo with
    Prem.
    Vers.(manu incentive $1806)
    Climate
    Parking Control
    It has roughly 5k miles. Not sure if it was a loaner, sales mgr driven, or owned by Hertz and rented. I highly doubt true demos can rack up 5k miles.
    The rough invoice is about 40.5k taking off the versatility and then 1800 for mileage and maybe another 1000 because it is a year old car would put me around $36.
    I can get an 05 OSD for about $38 - same car.
    I'm thinking $2k isn't quite enough on a year old car to really see the savings, but I think it would be hard pressed to get them lower than $36?
    Thoughts on price? How to handle the who drove it question? Make them throw in an extended warranty for cost? Does anybody have the 04 OSD pricing?
    I have 04 OSD pricing, but give me the exact options.
    Exact options
    2.5 awd
    Premium Package
    Versatility(before incentive)
    Climate
    Premium Sound (is this part of Premium package in 04)
    Parking

Would you mind emailing me the pdf?
    your configuration in 04 would be 39715. Give me your e-mail (make it public in your profile)
    Thanks for the lookup, give it a go now.
    How does 35k sound for this one. It's got about 5k miles and has been used as a loaner for new buyers. It also has some scratches on the rear door edge and shows a years worth of sitting inside. Less/more/about right?
    I'm thinking invoice 40k, - 1800 versatility - 1800 mileage -1400 year old
  • john3927john3927 Member Posts: 2
    Looking to lease a 2005 2.5T AWD, metalic paint, Premium Package, Climate Package, Atlantis wheels, and xenon lights on the X-Plan.

Current offer (1st dealership) is: $2,000 down ($995. bank fee, $532 1st month payment $485 motor vehicle fee) 12,000 miles per year, 36 month lease for $532. per month inlcuding tax.

Do you think I can do much better ?
  • coppercopper Member Posts: 94
    Hi,
    Does anyone know what the latest Bank fee for NY is?
    I'm being charged $995 which seems very high.
    I see that john3927 is being charged the same.

Thanks,
    Copper
  • jclct5jclct5 Member Posts: 1
    FYI, I bought a XC90 T6 for invoice price this week. He also discounted the car an additional $1,806 for the versatility package (3rd seat).

We live in the Dallas area.
  • jccai1jccai1 Member Posts: 113
    Hi! I'm also in the Dalla area and interested in the XC90. Do you mind sharing which dealership you purchase your vehicle from? Does the car have any other options besides Premium and Versatility? Many thanks!
  • jscoutjscout Member Posts: 1
    How did I do? $39,500 in Massachusetts. MSRP is $41,770 (after free Versatility. Invoice is $38,839 (after free Versatility).

Includes:
    AWD
    Premium Package
    Versatility Package (free)
    Climate Package
    Park Assist
    Metallic Paint
    Destination Fee

Any other promotions I should know about? Dealer claims there is an advertising fee of $250 so their actual invoice is $39,089 (so I'm told). My cost is still $39,500.
    This is similar to what I got this weekend:
    2005 2.5T AWD with:
    Premium Pkg
    Versatility Pkg
    Climate Pkg
    18" alloy wheels
    Black color (so no metallic paint charge)

Selling price is $39,200 (including destination), which is about $450 above invoice (minus $1806 incentive). Dealer claims his invoice is about $250 higher than what Edmunds indicates, but that didn't affect my final price. I'm sure I could have got it down by another $100 or so, but after so much haggling, it just wasn't worth my time. Plus, I got a good price for my trade-in (better than what other dealers and Carmax offered, plus the sales tax savings).

I'm sure the dealer's profit is more than just the amount above invoice plus the holdback. But I wasn't able to find info on any other incentives to use in my negotiation.
  • mjrdcmjrdc Member Posts: 2
    jccai1.....what area are you in? We're looking to purchase essentially the same vehicle in the DC area.
    I just got off of the phone with an agent and here is the "deal" that they gave me.

XC90 T6
    Black w/ Taupe interior
    Premium Package
    Climate Package (with bi-xenon)
    Versatility Package
    Park Assist

It was purchased through the overseas delivery package and brought back with 2000 mi on it.

Asking price is $42,000

They also have one equipped the same but it has 16,000 mi on it for $39,000 and a rear seat DVD system.

I might be buying tonight so any comments are welcome!
  • blk_irishblk_irish Member Posts: 1
    Pls let me know which dealership you select... My wife and I are looking and will more than likely buy in about 2/3 weeks ... comparing the X5 vs. XC90.

BI
    mjrdc: I'm in Dallas area. Not sure about pricing in DC. Is the incentive on Versatility Pkg still good in November?
  • mjrdcmjrdc Member Posts: 2
    What are the tires on the XC90s you have seen or purchased? We have seen Michelins and Pirellis. Have heard some bad things about the Pirellis - wearing down quickly.
    Any comments?
  • fido3fido3 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know the OSD pricing ofr options? I was just quoted $37,735 for the 2005 T-6 (base) but the dealer quoted the US MSRP for each of the options. Any help on 2005 T-6 OSD pricing including options would be appreciated.
    It was dark, raining, and I didn't want to get the "owenership" feeling by sitting in the car too long. So we opted for the sales desk instead. In that case I hope that I'll be getting the Michelins! Thanks for the heads up.
    Last night my wife and I pulled the trigger after 2 hrs of debating. Here's what we ended up with:

Black with Taupe interior
    Premium Package
    Climate Package
    - Bi-xenon lights
    Versatility Package
    Park Assist
    Wood Steering Wheel
    Mileage - 2022

Final settled price = $40,000
    OTD price = $42,900 (within a few dollars)

This was an OSD vehicle that was abandoned once it got home.

How'd I do?
  • attitash1attitash1 Member Posts: 3
    who did you buy from. I've been looking and havent gotten as good a price..Help
  • attitash1attitash1 Member Posts: 3
    where are you goys, I want a deal similar to that!
  • lch77lch77 Member Posts: 53
    I had just about decided on a T5 XC90 on a lease at $518 a month when I saw a 10/30/04 ad in my local newspaper (Keystone Volvo - eastern, PA) for almost the same car (but without metallic paint) at $399./month for 42 month w/ 12,000 miles/year.

The $399 price was excluding tax and required a $999 cap cost reduction payment. I ended up at $469/month after tax, adding metallic paint and eliminating the $999 up front payment. One reason for the attractive lease is the Verstility Package adds to the base price that is used to fugure residual value, but its cost is deducted from the vehicle cap cost as part of last month's incentive.

Details:
    MSRP: $43,470 w Paint, Climate, Versatility, Premium & AWD.

Capitalized Cost: $40,482.11 from which the Versatiltiy rbate was deducted givng a final cost of $38,676.11

The $40,482.11 cap cost looks to be $181.11 above the Edmunds invoice. The only additional payment I made is a $850. acquisition fee as part of the lease, plus $91.32 for tags, etc.

If the acquisition fee is legitimate, I paid $181.11 above invoice. If it's not, then I paid about $1,000 over invoice, which after the rebate, still isn't a bad deal.
    attitash1,

I live just outside of Minneapolis, MN, and I can tell you that finding a deal like this wasn't easy. There are only two dealerships within 250 miles of me... this gives the dealerships the upper hand when it comes to pricing. By the time we finished the sale it was a half hour past their closing time, on the last sales day for October. In the end, I was confronted by the sales manager who told me that because of my sale (60th of the month), he had to buy his staff dinner (who knows if this was just a line or not).

Anyway, I would suggest that you get your name out there to a number of dealerships (by phone). Let them know what you are interested in, but never let them believe that you are content with the deal they are giving you. Eventually someone might call you at the end of the month desperately trying to sell you "the quota meeting vehicle". Although this is a highly passive way of buying a car, it still worked for me.

Good luck!
    Lch77,
    I was told that the free Versatility incentive was not available when leasing....only when financing.
    I just bought an XC90 T6 from Keystonr as well.
    Did they lie to me?

Copper
  • lch77lch77 Member Posts: 53
    Copper

I wouldn't think that they would lie about something like that. However, in trying to figure out my lease price compared to their advertisement, they got confused on exactly how the incentive was to be applied so I got 4 different prices before the sales manager calculated the correct value.

Perhaps, the incentive only applied to a T5 lease and not the T6?

LCH77
    I think I figured it out:

The free versatility incentive is only available if you DON'T go through Volvo finance to do your lease. But Volvo finance has the lowest MF and highest Residuals, so you need to figure out what works out better for you. I went with Volvo, their payments came out cheaper for me. And I also took advantage of the multiple security deposits.
  • binksbinks Member Posts: 1
    Hello, we live in northern virginia and are looking to purchase the XC90 in the next couple months. Don beyer essentially sells 1000 below invoice according to what their salesman said. We are willing to drive within 100 miles. Anyone get more than 1000 below in the d.c. region? Which dealership?

Thanks!
    I think what you got is a fantastic deal! Enjoy your new XC90.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    For what it's worth, Martens Volvo in DC has advertised that they will meet or beat anyone's price on an XC90.

Please confirm that Don Beyer sells at $1,000 below INVOICE and not $1,000 below MSRP? When I went into their Falls Church location some time ago, they didn't impress me as being that willing to discount. If they are actually selling at $1,000 under invoice, I may need to revisit them. We are debating going for an XC90 V8 using the Overseas Delivery program, but a 2005 XC90 2.5 at $1k under invoice would be tempting as well.
    This price might be taking into account the -$1800 versatility package promo. If so, the "deal" really comes out to $800 over invoice, which is not that great.
  • jersey1jersey1 Member Posts: 1
    Looking to buy a 2005 XC90 2.5 in the next few days,

Metallic Paint
    Premium Package
    Versatility Package
    Climate Package
    MSRP $43470

What is the $1800 versatility package promo?

What would be a good price - Invoice $40301

Thanks