Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volvo XC90 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    atfryaratfryar Member Posts: 30
    Through my employer, I have access to Ford Partner Recognition pricing (or something like that)... Anyways, using the pricing sheet on the fordpartner website, the price I come up with on a 2006 2.5 XC90 with AWD, metallic paint, premium and climate (+ destination) is 40,095, compared to a MSRP of 42,255. Couple of questions, when calculating the lease payment, do I use the X-Plan price or the true MSRP (as the msrp in the calc)? Does anyone know if this plan is even available on a lease? Does anyone have any experience using Ford Partner pricing? I feel like I can do better than 40,095... i.e. negotiate Marketing Support and Customer Cash $$$

Your responese are appreciated!
  • Options
    mitchcmitchc Member Posts: 39
    I just paid 36,955 for a white 2.5T AWD with Premium & Versatility in Texas. I got several offers including: 37.9 and 36.9 for a silver 2.5 AWD and 36.4 for one in black - all with Prem & Vers.

DO NOT try to buy in person. The salespeople tried to get me to pay very close to MSRP. They treated me like I was an idiot. They tried to sell me a 1 year old rental XC90 with 2WD, scuffs and chips all over the vehicle and 13,000 miles on the odometer for $1000 more than I paid for a new vehicle with AWD.

After my unpleasant experience at the local dealer, I went home and sent e-mail bids to 8 dealerships (including the local dealership)and asked for a quote with at least $6,000 off MSRP. Almost every dealer was willing to do so on both V8 and 2.5T models. Furthermore, I found out that their incentives are up to the $2500 range, allowing them to offer these levels of discounts and still make a sale.

I was in the market for a V8 as well, but felt the discounts weren't sufficient. They've increased the price on V8's in 2006, none of which come without extra options and that jacks their price to as much as $7,000 more for than a similarly equipped 2.5T - if you factor in that you generally get heated seats and wooden steering wheel - both unnecessary. I have all that stuff plus Nav on my Lexus LS and it's not needed or used. Also - do not pay 2K for a rear seat DVD - especially when a portable 7" dual screen system sells for $200 at Walmart or Target, etc. Those items should sell for $500. It's outrageous what they charge for them.

Good luck. Everyone in the country buying right now should be able to get at least 5K off MSRP and 6K is probably very realistic. I would have liked to have gotten 7K off a V8 because they put all the packages on them such that the MSRP is always at least 48 to 56K. I really didn't want to pay more than 41K for a V8.
  • Options
    ejejejej Member Posts: 3
    I am going through the same unpleasant dealer experience and wanted to know if you would share what and how you provided an email bid for the vehicle.
  • Options
    sherb2000sherb2000 Member Posts: 9
    I am 99% sure that I am ready to make the leap into the XC90. I would LOVE this 35-36k pricing for a 3 row, AWD model, with leather optional.

Can you give me some dealers in the PA DC NY areas or ways to get bids online? Do you just email the dealers? How does it work!

Thanks!
  • Options
    whodeywhodey Member Posts: 19
    I'm pretty sure once you research the XC90 you'll find that the versatility package (3rd row) requires the premium (leather et al). Your probably looking at $42-$44k MSRP.
    Here is how you solicit offers -
    1) You have to do your homework and research the MSRP on the Volvo website. Then compare against edmunds and carsdirect.com pricing
    2) use volvo website to find all local dealers (and some not so local)
    3) I think you can most probably get the XC90 around 10% off MSRP so use use the edmunds and carsdirect prices as you highest price and email that to the dealer and ask for offers.
    4) You may be able to find a few 2005 models out there and discounts on those vehicles would be greater.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
  • Options
    wvufan2wvufan2 Member Posts: 2
    Lmueller,
    Please tell more of your experience with Volvo of Houston. I live in Copperfield and just starting communication with Jesus regarding a lease via e-mail. Looking for same vehicle, but want DVD for kids. Will put up to $4000 down, MSRP of 43,900. What kind of numbers am I dealing with???? Please help.
  • Options
    bobodreadrastabobodreadrasta Member Posts: 8
    Please any advise..

I am looking at a 2005 v8 loaded, including nav but no TV for 44K

Option 2 is the same but 2006 for 48K. Is there any difference in years.. improvements. The 2005 is on hold until Friday
  • Options
    mitchcmitchc Member Posts: 39
    The '05 sounds like it might be a good deal. Go on Edmunds and calculate the MSRP. If you're getting at least 6K off either model, it's a good deal. The only difference between the '05 and '06 is the new, higher pricing. You need to factor in the loss in resale value for a car that's one year older. Sounds like they've done that with the 4K difference. Personally, I rather save the money up front, then on the back end where the car will be worth less anyway.
  • Options
    exc90exc90 Member Posts: 8
    I was quoted $36,599 for a 2006 XC90 - FWD, Red, Graphite Leather, w/Premium package. Is this a good deal?
    Thank you!
  • Options
    bobodreadrastabobodreadrasta Member Posts: 8
    Armed with my edmunds tmv I reduced the price to $42900 for 2005 V8 LOADED (NAV included) . The first suv had transmission problem and needed to be serviced (only 83mls on odometer) The second had steering problems which they could not figure out.

Very disappointed but lucky that the problems surfaced before purchase.
  • Options
    steveo2916steveo2916 Member Posts: 3
    Am being quoted 36,900 for an '06 FWD with premium and versatility. I gather that's about 5k off msrp. Deal or no?

How about the $399 lease offer. Anyone know what options that includes?
  • Options
    magmirmagmir Member Posts: 17
    I was quoted 34,985 + TTT and $389 dealer fee on an 06 2.5T FWD w/ Premium Package, Cold Weather, and Wood Steering Wheel. What do you guys think about that price? There is another dealer that will match (and beat) the price, plus give me a scratch-off coupon that will take an additonal $200-$2000 off the price (I suspect 95% of the cards are for $200). So I imagine the same vehicle could be had at the other dealer for around $1000 less (assuming I can get them to cut out the dealer fee).

What do you guys think?

Also, do you think this deal will really end after Nov. 30? It would make my life tons easier if I could wait another week or two.

Thanks for the help!
  • Options
    mpeppinompeppino Member Posts: 1
    where is mass were you quotes that?
  • Options
    '06 FWD, Premium, Versatility, Metallic paint. MSRP $41,905, paid $36,447 here in TX. Lease payment with zero down, 36mo., 12k per year = $543. Was happy with both sides of this deal.
  • Options
    exc90exc90 Member Posts: 8
    This is what I paid for a 2006 XC90 (in Atlanta) - Ruby Red - Graphite Leather (Premium Package) - Versatility Package - and Wood steering wheel:
    $36,580 +7% tax +$389 Document fees +$18 Title +$3 "Ga. MV warranty rights fee"

Out The Door price $39,550.6

Make sure they don't try to sneak in the "Secure Etch" fee.
    Also, make sure you know what the (other) fees are.

Good luck!
  • Options
    logiclogic Member Posts: 2
    I'm considering buying a Volvo XC90. I want safety after being hit head on in a sports car.I test drove the XC90 briefly in Dallas (city streets only). I live in NY/NJ. The driving involves mainly city stop and go conditions with very few 50-60mph highway strecthes. My question is whether to purchase the V5 or V8? How is the drive in comparison and would it make a annoying difference to go with the 5-cylinder? Will the vehicle feel very slow from toll booths and stops? Also my parking space is a little tight, can the rear assist help much with city parking conditions? Does someone like me really needa V8 considering the additional cost. I'm not planning on getting the third row seats which, I believe, should reduce the vehicle weight by 1000lbs. I've Never owned an SUV before but really am concerned with safety considering the bad drivers in NY/NJ.Thank you.

Logic
  • Options
    merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    As a Volvo salesman,I'm around the XC90s every day. I find the 5 cylinder to be perfectly adequate....It's certainally the engine I'd buy. Also,the third row of seats comes standard with the V8,another reason to go with the five...
    Randy
  • Options
    mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Logic, why not just get the Volvo V70 wagon? It will be easier to park than the SUV and is still a very safe vehicle.

Also, I don't think the third seat and all it's components weigh 1,000 lbs. Maybe, at the most, 100 lbs.? Remember, these seats have to be lifted and locked in place, they can't be too heavy. I'm sure a Volvo salesman might have an idea on weight of these pieces.

Just my .02 worth.. Mark :P
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • Options
    logiclogic Member Posts: 2
    Thank you both for your opinions. Do many other Volvo drivers agree with this? Will I feel satisfied with the 5 cylinder in the city? The edmunds and other articles seem to focus in on the V8 and don't really compare the two. I'm single and the Volvo xc90 does seem more like a family car/truck.. but the safety features are the best. I normally would not buy an SUV, but feel compelled to b/c there are so many bad Suv and non-Suv drivers in NY/NJ that it's an adventure just going to work. P.S. I'll never meet any women once they know I drive a station wagon. The Xc90 is still a lot cooler than the wagon.I did consider it briefly though b/c it is logical. Thanks for any advice you may post. Happy Holidays.

Logic
  • Options
    Well, one week into our 2.5T experience, I'm pleased with it! The pickup is good, frankly much better than the Toyota V6 it replaced. We drive mostly around town as well during the week and have been happy with the vehicle's handling in traffic. Even had some ice in San Antonio this past week.
  • Options
    jtlajtla Member Posts: 388
    We have had the 2.5T AWD for more than one year, and feel its power is more than adequate. Unless you expect sports car performance from an SUV, the 5 cylinder should be just fine.
  • Options
    guyfguyf Member Posts: 456
    I've had my 2.5T for a year and a half now. Power is just fine; better than I expected in fact.
  • Options
    nepropneprop Member Posts: 41
    Stutz Volvo in Salem, MA will sell a 2006 XC90 2.5T with the following options (Blue paint, Prem Pkg, Vers Pkg, Clim Pkg, AWD, Dest Fee) for $38,552 no hastle. This price includes the $2,995 Prem Pkg rebate that expires on 12/31/05. This seems like a reasonable price, but I am looking for feedback on whether I ought to be able to do better. Comments welcomed.
  • Options
    As a Volvo sales consultant,I've got to say I can't imagine any dealer being able to go any lower...
  • Options
    Merckx, can you provide some context to your feedback such as what region of the country do you represent / understand, why do you feel that the dealer can't go lower. Once the premium pkg rebate expires at the end of '05 do you know of specials volvo/ford will be offering in early '06? Thanks in advance for your reply.
  • Options
    Well,first off,I can't call myself a true professional....i've only been selling Volvos at a Virginia oceanfront resort city for two months after being a high school English teacher for many years.

But on our lot,we just won't go that low...i sold one equiped as you described exactly for $39,500...and that was considered rock bottom...

My understanding is that the premium package for $595 has been extended through Feb....
  • Options
    Thanks for the heads up on the Premium Package Discount being extended through Feb '06 as the dealer I'm working with just sold the last model in blue that has the options I want. So now I either have to buy another color or wait for what I want. Can you shed some insight on how difficult / easy it is for a dealer to request a model in a particular color or swap with another dealership? Lastly, in your opinion is it worth buying an extended warranty? Would you spend your own money on one?
  • Options
    As far as swapping,most dealers agree to help each other out and trade cars if requested. No additional costs will be accrued-if it must be driven any distance,though,a man will have to be paid to fetch it...That might make your dealer want to wrap that cost in the size of the discount he offers you.

As far as additional warranties,I admit I am not sure. some say that any European car should have an extended warranty. I didn't buy one for either of my 2001 German cars,though.

We've been told that we are offering a $200 discount on the Volvo North America warranty,and that as prices haven't been raised since 2003,they are goiub to be raised Jan. 1.
  • Options
    merckx, thanks again. Clarification question - when you say that prices are going to be raised Jan 1st do you mean for the NA Warranty or the base price of the vehicle? Due to speak with the dealer tomorrow.

neprop
  • Options
    The warranty will be going up...
  • Options
    britsbrits Member Posts: 3
    I have been offered the following. 2006 XC 90 2.5t with premium and versatility package. $41,900 Sticker they will sell to me for $36,021. They have also told me that if I lease with Chase they have tax credits left to cover the tt&L on the vehicle. All I need is to put the first payment down and 35 remaining payments at $576 which includes taxes and it is 15k a year. Please let me know if this sounds like a good deal or not.

Thanks
  • Options
    That is an outstanding price...The lease part I'm less excited about...
  • Options
    fishfoolsfishfools Member Posts: 5
    i think i may have left some money on the table and am curious as to how much and whether i should push back some more. i will be picking up the car next friday as the only car with all of my requirements on the west coast just arrived in the port of los angeles. so here is the deal on the table. volvo xc90 2.5t, 5 cyl, awd, premium/versatility/climate packages, 18" alloy wheels (not the chrome ones), premium sound, wood steering wheel, metallic grey titanium.....msrp-$46,205, invoice-$42,717, edmunds tmv-$42,086 (supposedly excludes the premium package manufacturer to consumer rebate)...my price including the rebate...$40,892. approximately $5,300 off of msrp. should i have gotten more off? thanks for your input.
  • Options
    the dealer i have been dealing with said the prices are going up on the xc90s on jan 1. has anyone else heard this? how much? he said it was just announced last week.
  • Options
    pjekoopjekoo Member Posts: 14
    fyi...i live in portland, oregon and am negotiating with a seattle, washington dealer (ravenna volvo).
  • Options
    I know it's not your problem,but if a client just will not get off buying the car for absolutely bottom dollar,the sales consultant here gets $100...if his "Consumer Rating Score" is perfect,there's another $50...That's not quite a middle-class day's wages...and I don't sell a Volvo every day,either...

As it is a $50,000 Luxury vehicle,why not stop at $5,200 off?...That is a much better than average deal for an XC90,at least in Tidewater Virginia....
  • Options
    Fishfools, I'm in Boston and I've been told that after Jan 1 the average MSRP increase will be about $420. This is roughly 1% of the vehicle MSRP so I'm sure one can negotiate it away.
  • Options
    Fishfools, I think that you ought to be able to pay about $38.5K give or take. I've been quoted this price for a model config that's almost identical to the one you describe. Good luck.
  • Options
    newxc90fannewxc90fan Member Posts: 12
    We will either purchase a 06 T5 or a 05 V8. neprop, thanks for the local new england T5 deal in Salem! However, I would really like to strike a deal on a 05 V8. I have one in mind with a MSRP of $50,985. Want to offer between 40-42K including Blue Tooth. I'm thinking because of the last week of the year and V8 sales history the dealer may bite. Any thoughts/advice?
  • Options
    are you sure your config included the premium stereo, 18" alloy wheels and the wood steering wheel? these extras (not included in the premium/versatility/climate packages) have a cost of $1,600 which brings me more in line with the price i am being quoted. thanks.
  • Options
    britsbrits Member Posts: 3
    Well I finally got the deal done on my wife's XC-90. As you might recall I had an offer on a 2.5T with Metallic Paint, Premium and Versatility for $36,021, well the dealer found some loyalty credit and we ended up getting $500 more off that. However the lease Payment seemed high to me at $576 a month. After haggling some more I finalized the deal as follows. The above vehicle with free window tint on the front. They used tax credits for the TT&L. First payment out of pocket 15k a year for 36 months @ $498 a month. I am extremely happy about this deal and we are on our way to pick up our third Volvo. Thanks for all your help, keep haggling everyone deals can be done.
  • Options
    I am looking to make a deal this week on an 05 XC90 V8 with Touring, Convenience, and climate Packages and Xenon with a MSRP of $50,985. In need of price negotiation help - THANKS!

justcruising - did you end up with one?
  • Options
    Fishfools, my config did not include the extra items that you mention. So looks like your deal is good. I believe that you asked about the 2.5T vs 8 cyl. I am partial to the 2.5T as it's been around for years and the kinks are worked out. The 8 cyl is thirstier and Volvo/Ford subcontracted the engine to Yamaha in Japan, nothing wrong with this, but my sense is there are some kinks to be worked out having done this professionally in my past. Good luck.
  • Options
    tbs21tbs21 Member Posts: 2
    We recently purchased an identically equipped 2005 model for $42,500 (excluding tax and tags). This was a much better price than we were quoted for the 2006 model, which is basically the same vehicle. We will realize additional savings compared to the 2006 when the 3 additional "complimentary" service appointments are factored into the equation.

The V8 is awesome. I tested the 2.5t and felt that it was anemic at higher speeds (40+ mph -- the 2.5t's acceleration at these speeds felt and sounded like a Buick Rendevous); though I felt that both engines were fairly comparable when accelerating from a dead stop

Good luck!
  • Options
    thanks neprop...i probably could have squeezed out another few hundred dollars except this was the only one on the west coast with all of my "wants" (actually, my wife's "wants"). excluding the complimentary premium package, i got the car for $750 over invoice. i agree on the 2.5T and was worried about the 8cyl. the pick up seemed pretty close to me although the 8cyl was clearly quieter when you jumped on it. thanks again for your help.
  • Options
    Thanks tbs21! GREAT Information. Can you please give me the name of the dealer and state of purchase for my reference?

I agree, the 8 is awesome. The car is for my wife who would be fine with the T5 but for the savings and the included service the deal is too good to pass up!
  • Options
    tbs21tbs21 Member Posts: 2
    Howdy - vehicle was purchased in Red Bank, NJ. Suggest you also search Autotrader's new car inventory listings to see how many 2005 XC90s are sitting on dealer lots located close to your zip code - you will know based on the MSRP the ones that are equipped per your requirements. I am sure any dealers that have more than 4 2005 V8 XC90s on-hand will make you a deal.
  • Options
    cobras33cobras33 Member Posts: 3
    I live in Northern NJ. I was quoted $41,800 for an XC90 2.5T with the following: AWD, Premium Pkg, Climate Pkg, Versatility Pkg, Convenience Pkg, Rear Seat Entertainment System, and Xenon headlamps. This quote of $41,800 is after the premium pkg rebate is taken off - - although I'm questioning this. By my calculations, this vehicle has an MSRP of $47,870 and an invoice of $44,149. It has an Edmunds TMV of $46,186 and a carsdirect.com "target price" of $41,974 (which is extremely close to my quote)...so is this a good quote/deal or should I try to negotiate lower? It appears that the quote is close to invoice price minus $2575 premium pkg rebate (although premium pkg rebate is supposed to be $2995...which is why I'm questioning it). Is getting it for invoice price good enough or has anyone seen quotes below invoice price? Which number should I shoot for...invoice or "target price"?

So is this a good deal? I'm meeting with the dealer tomorrow. Any fast feedback would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks for your help!!
  • Options
    jabberjabber Member Posts: 64
    Cobras, I live in NJ also and just finalized a deal with a PA dealership on a 5 passenger 2006 XC90 2.5T with AWD, Prem, Clim, and Metallic Paint. It stickers out at $42,255 and invoices at $39,321. I did a lease. Now some dealers have told me that there is an alternative lease incentive of $3K on the 7P and $2,575 on the 5P. Well the dealership that I am getting the car from gave me the $3K even though it is a 5P. In fact he never said anything about the 5P being $425 less than the 7P. So from invoice we were at $36321, and then I was able to negotiate another $121 off and some other items like their doc fee, which wound up being $55. So net selling price in the lease is $36,200 which is $3121 under invoice. Part of me thinks I may have been able to get more off if I pushed. So I'm also looking for validation that this is a fair price also - anyone?

Now if you're buying it then you obviously can't do the lease alternative incentive, which is a dealer incentive if the consumer goes through a bank other than Volvo finance. Volvo has been doing this for years and I can only fathom that they want to minimize their exposure to the used car market.

So, that leaves you with the complimentary Prem package which is VALUED at $2995, but if you're working a price from invoice I can see why they are giving you the $2575 dealer cost off. Check your math, because if the invoice price of $44,149 you listed above is correct then take $2575 from that and you get $41,574 not $41,800.

I priced the car at 4 dealerships and was initially quoted prices that covered about $700 of range. So it may just be a case where the dealers are not trying to engage in a protracted negotiation since it's year-end and they're just getting pretty close to the bottom line.

Again, I'd be interested to hear if anyone has been successful at getting the 2006 XC90 2.5T AWD at more than $3121 under invoice???
  • Options
    jacmyoung2jacmyoung2 Member Posts: 20
    jabber, can you post your detailed lease numbers in the lease thread? You seem to have the best selling price so far. It would be nice to have all lease related numbers under that thread so people who want to lease can get the best info in one place.