Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sorento Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• candlegirlcandlegirl Member Posts: 1
    Bought a white 2011 Sorento LX AWD with convenience package and 3rd row seat 4/2/2010 for $22,900. The MSRP is $26,500 and the sales price on the window was $24,900. Sound like I did okay?
  • mazingamazinga Member Posts: 2
    Is $22,900 after the rebate price?
  • gentlemanbr0ngentlemanbr0n Member Posts: 1
    Candlegirl where did you purchase this car from? Thank you!
  • drdrakeramoredrdrakeramore Member Posts: 49
    Just got an internet quote for a 2011 Sorento EX V6 AWD with Premium Pckg 2 for $28,700 + taxes & 399 dealer handling. thoughts? we're considering leasing; appreciate any information on residual and money factor.
  • qthqth Member Posts: 25
    Patterson Kia at Arlington, TX has advertised for 2011 Sorento simplified price: $4.5K off MSRP.
  • jc811jc811 Member Posts: 4
    Here in Milford, CT, just picked up a 2011 LX FWD. Dark Cherry exterior and Beige interior. Convenience package, 3rd Row, mats, and remote start. The sticker says $25,310 with delivery included.

I paid $24,585. Minus $2500 in rebates (NY auto show, loyalty and the standard), the final price was $22,085.

Out the door with all the taxes, conveyance fees, etc, was $26,588 (not including the rebates). Monthly payment will be $340.
  • skylawskylaw Member Posts: 7
    Car Man
    Can you please provide the residual and money factor for a AWD V6 EX, 36 months, 15K miles a year? Thanks.
  • mynameisurlmynameisurl Member Posts: 1
    Just got an OTD Price for a 2011 Sorento EX V6 AWD with Premium 2 and Limited packages for ~$34,700 in California. Good price, or could I get it lower?
  • kto2kto2 Member Posts: 3
    To make a very long story short: I heard a horrible sound and the feeling the bottom of my car fell out from underneath me. I was just about to drive over a major bridge but pulled into a parking lot that had a automotive shop. They were just about to close, but lifted my car to find that all of the bolts were missing and my Drive Shaft was hanging and in very very poor condition. They lowered my car and I parked it and waited for my husband to come get me. I called Kia the next morning and was told to have it towed to the nearest dealership which was in St. Pete where I work. I did. I was then told later that morning by the Kia dealership's Service center that the bolts were physically removed by me or the auto body shop that took a look for me. And that I needed to pay $72 for new bolts in order to send the drive shaft in for the warranty. I DID not nor anyone else remove these bolts. I was told I was a liar by Kia and Kia's customer service rep who called the St. Pete dealership to verify what happened. Kia was asking me questions about parts I have no understanding about and asked them to call the shop that knows how to answer their questions. The REFUSED to call them and continued to call me a liar. I was treated like a criminal and very upset. My car still sits in the Kia dealership and I'm now waiting to hear if they're going to reject my warranty because I refused to pay the $72 for bolts that were already missing. Has this happened to anyone else??
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    Bypass the dealer and call Kia corporate [800 - 333 - 4KIA (4542)]. Open a case with their customer support and ask them to get the dealer to do the fix. Relate the problem as you've told us. Tell them you're not happy with the service they're supposed to provide and are making you feel like a criminal. In fact I'd ask them to have your car moved to a different dealership for service as that dealership shouldn't be trusted.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • kto2kto2 Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for your reply. I did call the corporate office. 1-800-333-4542 and I told the CSR my situation. He put me on hold while he called the dealership. I told him that that's who I'm having a problem with. He returned back to me and told me that there is no way that the bolts could have fallen out, and that either me or someone else removed them and that it was my responsibilty to pay for the missing parts. I once again told him when I couldn't drive any further that the automotive facility raised the car to see what I was having a problem with and they showed me without touching anything that the drive shaft and all of the element around it were just hanging there. They told me, thank god I hadn't drove over the bridge, because I could have been killed. They did no work on it and the car was never out of my possession until I left to go home. The dealership suggested that the bolts may have been taken while my car sat overnight. I once again told them the bolts were NOT there when I finally stopped driving the car at 5:06pm. I sat in another building to wait for my husband because the automotive establishment closed for the day. They were not open for business when I arrived.
  • ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    Pay the $70 or $80 and get on with it-- they're paying for the rest including the drive shaft right? Do you have a sticker with the dealer's name on the back of the car? Have them remove it. Or is the back license plate frame has the dealer name on it; remove it. Don't advertise for them anymore. But the $80 for the bolts is child's play-- pay for those and have them fix the car.
  • jssh1jssh1 Member Posts: 6
    Hi everyone, looking to buy a 2011 Sorento EX V6 FWD with Premium and Limited packages. Was quoted $29,500 selling price pre-rebates and trade-in. Also have the option to buy a 2009 Borrego at another dealer - 4x4 V8 Limited with Nav - retail over $41K! The dealer is willing to make a deal on the Borrego - but won't give me any hard numbers yet.

I've got kids, will probably need to carpool other people's kids soon, and need the third row to cart bigger eople around at times. I like the ease of driving the Sorento since I used to driving smaller SUVs or a sedan, but should I think of the Borrego if the price is right? I saw that it was manufactured in 12/08. What do you guys think would be a good deal on this car pre-rebates, etc?

I am wary of buying a car that is discontinued, but was encouraged by the positive reviews on the Borrego forum, but worry about maintenance, repairs costs in the future.

Thanks.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    I moved your leasing question here:
    Kia Sorento Lease Questions/a>

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• alex124alex124 Member Posts: 2
    I bought 2011 Kia Sorento LX for $19,988 plus TTL. My trade was 1999 Honda CRV with 169500 miles, broken windshield and dented bumper for $2000.00. Credit Union financing 3.2% for 60 mos. Dealer was in Central Texas. How did I do?
  • archangel5500archangel5500 Member Posts: 5
    Hi everyone.. I am trying to upgrade my sound system in my 2011 Sorento EX. It came with just the stock stereo, but I got them to upgrade all my speakers to Infinity Speakers & I want to buy the Infinity head unit as well as the speaker in the middle of the Dash & the Subwoofer in the rear. The speaker in the front was reasonably priced but the rear sub is OUTRAGEOUS.. they quated me $750 & if I want the grill it's $1065. NO WAY am I paying that... does anyone know where I can find a compareble aftermarket sub that will fit inside the panel in the rear of my Sorento as well as the sizes of the center speaker on the dashboard & the size of the rear sub? I also need the Infinity Upgraded deck but jesus.. at this point I'm afraid to ask what that will cost me..! Thanks in advance guys.
  • archangel5500archangel5500 Member Posts: 5
    I do see your point, however I honestly think it's the perspective of the buyer why they do or do not buy this car. Some people buy cars to drive exactly for that reason.. to drive them... and other's buy cars as investments. Me personally.. I buy cars to drive. Here's the thing, lets face it.. if you're going to STRICTLY buy cars that hold their value.. you have a very limited variatey to choose from Toyotas are at the top of the list I'm sure but you're also going to be paying a lot more for a car that will hold their value where's a KIA (for example) you can get the car you want with way more features that you can expect to get on any other car for about $6 -$7k LESS than what you would pay for a car that holds it's value. So.. I guess looking at it that way.. where's the real savings.? I'm fairly simple.. I buy cars I like & I buy whatever I feel comfortable driving at the time & if I can get 150k miles off that engine of that particular car.. then in my mind.. I totally got my money's worth.. I don't think about re-sale & all that garbage when you start stressing about that you stop enjoying your car, you're really stingy about where, how & how many miles you put on it, you baby it & start paying for rental cars when you go on trips so you don't run up the miles.. so .. when all's said & done you spent more money trying to keep up the re-sale value of your car than you would have if you would have just gotten whatever car gave you more bang for your buck. It's all in the perception of the person buying it. If you're worried about what's gonna happen 3 years down the road when you go to sell it VS how reliable the car is then to each his own.. Personally if I'm spending $30k on a car i'm buying something I really like and will enjoy.. not settling for something just because I can sell it for a better price 2 or 3 years down the road.. you'll never enjoy a car that way.. anyway.. just my opinion.
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    I agree that the resale is just a small part of the decision process in buying a new vehicle. I never really consider it because I like you believe in buying a vehicle that I enjoy driving. I test drove a Rav 4 Limited and the second I got into it I new I didn't like it. It was very bland inside and too narrow. I loved the way the Sorento EX V6 looked both inside and out right off the bat. I ended up test driving the thing several times along with several other brands, but kept coming back to the Sorento. Got a great deal and a fantastic amount on my 2004 Mountaineer AWD V8 Luxury trim. The Msrp for the Sorento EX V6 with premium package 2 (the package that includes the Panoramic roof) was 31,100. My OTD was 28,673 which I figure saved me about $4200 with trade figured into full retail as well. Don't know if it was a great price, but I was happy. Today the Automatic Climate control sensor went bad so they had to order in a new one. Hopefully this isn't a bad omen for a vehicle with just 600 miles on it.

I was told that my Mountaineer was a terrible car by Toyota and yet the so called resale ended up being great and to top that off the Dealer sold it within 10 days after I left it with them. The Mountaineer was far superior in comfort and gadgets than the Highlander and Pilot back in 2004. I also thought it looked so much better. I'm glad I didn't listen to the naysayers and bought what I liked and needed at the time.
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Resale matters a little more if you are someone that trades every three years or so. But even then it's fairly neglible. Vehicles with poor resale history are usually discounted pretty heavy off of MSRP so even though you may get a few thousand less down the road, you paid less up front so it's pretty much a wash.
  • royhobbs47royhobbs47 Member Posts: 3
    We got the following offer:
    2011 Sorento V6 EX, MSRP $31,280
    Drive off $2747, 36 mo/12,000 miles
    Cap Cost $27,520
    Monthly $314 plus tax
    $400 Termination fee (which dealer swears they can't waive).
    MF .00141, Residual 52%
    In California
  • alex124alex124 Member Posts: 2
    I didn't get any replies to my original post, so here is one last try. I'm sure someone out there has but the 2011 Kia Sorento LX. How did I do? details below

I bought 2011 Kia Sorento LX for $19,988 plus TTL. My trade was 1999 Honda CRV with 169500 miles, broken windshield and dented bumper for $2000.00. Credit Union financing 3.2% for 60 mos. Dealer was in Central Texas.
  • chuck68516chuck68516 Member Posts: 195
    What did the $2747 drive off fees include?
    Dealer is correct about lease end fee but it should be paid at lease end, not upfront. At least that's my experience.
  • speedymjsspeedymjs Member Posts: 5
    First bid received:
    MSRP: $34,880
    Invoice: $33,150

Selling price: $31,565, less $1,000 KIA rebate, less $1,000 competitive rebate, + $99 doc fee, + TTL.
    So price = $29,566.

Now that I have a baseline, I'm setting my target at $29,100.
  • mazda6dudemazda6dude Member Posts: 283
    edited August 2010
    What is a good OTD price to pay for a new 2011 Kia Sorento LX automatic, 2wd, with 3rd row and Convenience package? MSRP is $25,015. Would appreciate feedback and opinions. Thanks.
    Well, OTD the implies what it says...total amount paid to get you out the door and on your way with your new vehicle. Without knowing local sales tax %, title fees, dealer fees, etc, etc. it would be impossible for anyone to give you even a wild [non-permissible content removed] guess. Taxes alone could be close to $2500 in Chicago or Los Angeles or $0 in a no sales tax state. Dealer admin fees can run from about $75 to over $400 depending on state law limitations and local practises. License and titles fee vary wildly as well from state to state.
    My apologies. Instead of out the door, the price before TTL since OTD varies in each state. Thanks.
    m6user:

By way of comparison, this may help. Here is the first quote I received on a different Sorento:

MSRP - 34880.0 - INVOICE - 33150.00
    Selling price - 31565.00 - 1000.00 kia rebates = 30565.00 - 1000.00 kia loyalty or competitive = 29565.00
    Plus VA tax,VA tags and 99.00 doc fee
    I'm not the one looking for a price but your example is very appropriate. Looks like about $5k off MSRP is a decent price to shoot for then according to your deal.
    That looks about right.
    Or perhaps a little more fine-tuned would be to say $1,500 under invoice, then apply whatever rebates you qualify for.
    That's where I am now, and trying for another $200-$300 off that. If I can get $300 below that I'll feel like I got a great deal.
  • califasramsfancalifasramsfan Member Posts: 31
    We just purchased the 2011 Kia Sorento SX model with FWD, V6, leather, navi. MSRP was $32,990, Dealer discounts include $4000, $1,000 factory rebate, $1,500 competitive or loyalty rebates. Sale price total was $26,990 plus tax/lic. including a BS $495 dealer prep charge. The Sorento SX has an enhanced look on the outside compared to the EX models and just arriving to dealerships on the west coast.
    Beautiful car fully loaded except for sun roof or DVD entertainment center. First tank averaged 22.9 mpg.
    The finance guy tried selling us a 10 year Kia Bumper to Bumper warranty for an additional $1,400 with a zero deductable only at that dealership and a $100 deductable at any other KIA dealership. We said NO at the purchase time.
    I now offered them $1,000 with zero deductable at any dealer and we are waiting for their reply.
    Has anyone bought an extended warranty thru KIA? Your thoughts?
    We just purchased a 2011 Kia Sorento SX for $26,985 + Tax/lic/doc fees. Vehicle MSRP was $32,990, invoice was $31,085. Sale price was $1,600 under invoice, or a total of $4,100 under invoice including the $2,500 in rebates.
    Just wondering how we did in comparison to other deals?
    Also, finalized negotiations today on the extended warranty with the same dealer.
    I'm purchasing a 10 yr/100,000 mi. extended Kia warranty, zero deductible for $1,350. Dealer mailing me the contract today...how does that price look for an extended warranty?
    Thanks,
  • lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    edited September 2010
    Is it a FWD or AWD? Sunroof?
  • 3mk3mk Member Posts: 8
    I'm in Sacramento looking for the same great deal you got on the price of the SX. What dealer and city?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
    Hi,

Can you let me know what dealership and the city you bought from. Looking to by the same SX ,

Thanks and much appreciated.
    Kia Depot in Santa Ana. I'm not sure how they do it but our SX sale price was $1600 under invoice or $4100 under invoice with $1500 rebate + $1000 competitive rebate.
    Good Luck with your search!
    Thank you. Did you notice a difference in the ride between the EX and SX?
  • csuf1csuf1 Member Posts: 8
    BEWARE of KIA DEPOT of Santa Ana ads on the 2011 Kia Sorento. There were plenty in stock but they would not sell any to me at the very low advertised prices without add-ons when I told them I wanted to pay cash(not their financing). Be sure you have someone very knowledgeable with you that can understand and ask questions about the fine print!!!! After getting the run-around, I bought from Kia of Cerritos, Calif. The vehicle is everything I wanted & more.
  • csuf1csuf1 Member Posts: 8
    Be very careful with extended warranties that are only good at 1 dealer. What will you do if that dealer goes under? In this economy it can & does happen.
    Check out KIA of Fairfield and Swift KIA in Davis. They have the lowest prices in the region. Talk to the internet salesmen.
    You are correct, BEWARE of Kia Depot!!! The advertised price comes with two hitches. First you must finance thru them at a higher interest rate, second they add on a "dealer prep" fee that is really is a crock. Ours was $498.
    After disputing these tactics we still bought our Kia Sorento SX knowing that we were getting it for $1,600 under invoice. As for the interest rate, I'll just switch my 4.99 interest rate down to a 3.40 interest rate with my own CU as soon as I get the registration in the mail.
    Our deal included an additional $1,500 rebate on the SX plus a $1,000 competitive rebate for a total sale price of $4,100 under invoice.
    Sure there tactics are BS but you can't beat the deal. Just go in prepared knowing what the invoice price is (KBB or EDMUNDS) as a reference and have your ducks in a row, read the fine print on the ad, then grab your deal!
    I tried getting Glendale Kia to match the deal and they couldn't come close.
    Were happy with the deal, best of all the Sorento SX is great!
    I am interested in either model, most likely the SX (MSRP $35.8K). It seems like $1600 under invoice is the best I ever seen here. I am qualify for the $1000 cash back, $1500 loyalty for SX model and $1500 competitive bonus for SX model, that's a total of $4000. Is that mean I can probably get one for $5600 off MSRP now? I remember Kia had up to $4000 cash back for end year clearance before. Should I hold on for another year?
  • kiltmankiltman Member Posts: 67
    How do you think you are going to get both Loyalty and Competitive bonuses?
    I own a 03 Sorento and 07 Lexus RX. That is $1500 loyalty toward the SX and another $1500 competitive bonus for SX also plus $1000 cash back for all Sorento models. These savings can be combined.
  • mthrunmthrun Member Posts: 5
    Hi,
    I'm wondering if anyone know's when the new '12 is coming out. Since the '11 came out so early this year I'm hoping the 12 comes out early next. I'm trying to decide if I should buy now or wait till year end clearances? Any opinions? Also, in regards to pricing, it seems everyone talks about the EX and SX, has anyone got the LX, and more specifically the AWD LX, if so, what kind of deal have people gotten. I'm not concerned with taxes and state specific stuff.

thanks in advance.
  • dotbowelsdotbowels Member Posts: 43
    edited October 2010
    List price $26,715 (+flaps) What should I pay for this car? Thanks Dorothy

2011 Sorento LX AWD 4cyl-3rd row-convenience package-mats-mud flaps
  • kiramakirama Member Posts: 15
    I am looking at a 2011 Sorento, EX V6 AWD with premium pack #2. Sticker with destination charge is $32,530. Dealer's offer is $28,995 (includes $1500 for competitive rebate) and Kia financing, or $27,995 without Kia financing. Truecar hasn't updated their database with dealer incentives so I don't know dealer cost on vehicle. October 2010 truecar shows no dealer incentive & a holdback of $872 for a total dealer cost of $30812. (Dealer is in Northern California) I would really appreciate a response as soon as possible, I like the car, perfect color and equipment but I don't want to overpay. thx in advance
    Not sure where your located but check these Sorento prices in So.Cal.
    Google "Orange County Register", newspaper. Go to website and click on "Deals", then click "automotive". Select Garden Grove Hyundai Dealership who also sells Kia.
    The Sorento LX sale price is $16,808, (MSRP=$23,305.
    The Sorento SX sale price is $24,888, (MSRP =$32,990.

This price is if you qualify for all the rebates including military, college grad, etc. You just can't beat these prices.
    We bought from Kia Depot in Santa Ana but they don't have their ad this week. I'm not from So. Cal but we drove 225 miles to get this deal on our 2011 SX and paid $1,600 under invoice before any rebates. Check it out!
    I'm in Northern Nevada where dealers think they are giving you a bargain if they don't charge over MSRP so I've been looking at dealers in Northern California- but if I could save that much I would gladly fly to So. Cal and drive the car back- thanks, I will check it out =)
    I have been in telephone or email contact with at least 20 dealers within 400 miles of my home and none would even get close to the price I quoted above- maybe a supply and demand issue, or perhaps dealer's aren't getting any good incentives. So, we are going to buy the car, got a couple of dealer installed options included and the dealer was great to work with. We are going to pick up the car tomorrow =) I can't wait- I currently have an 11 year old Isuzu Rodeo which has served me well but has definitely seen better days.